Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for nate12345

Real Name nate12345   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname nate12345
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 10, 2012, 18:08
Total Comments 7 (Suspect)
User ID 57638

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Patched
14. Re: Battlefield 4 Patched Dec 20, 2013, 14:53 nate12345

InBlack wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 09:41:
A patch a day will keep the doctor away...

Too bad for EA, it doesn't keep the lawyers away:
EA sued for Battlefield 4 bugs

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 12:59 nate12345

64-bit usually reduces overhead.

For example: assuming the main registers have been enlarged from 32 to 64-bit, you can fit more 32-bit datatypes into registers by put 2 32-bit numbers into each 64-bit register. These 'extra' 32-bit registers are usually directly addressable in 64-bit mode. The result is less swapping in and out with memory, therefore less overhead.

Another example using 64-bit datatypes: with 64-bit registers, the compiler loads the number into a register, and does operations on it. With 32-bit registers, the compiler loads half the number into one register, and half into another. Then does extra work to crunch a calculation across two registers. More overhead with 32-bit in that case.

These benefits require a re-compile, and not all applications will have tangible benefits, but some will.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2013, 13:16.

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 12:33 nate12345

64-bit architecture usually improves more than just the address bus (for addressing over 4GB of memory). The data bus is usually enlarged to 64-bits, registers are enlarged to 64-bits, and there are probably new instructions. All of these can improve the performance of chip.

See pros and cons for misconceptions of 64-bit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing#Pros_and_cons

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2013, 12:48.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 6, 2013, 12:45 nate12345

Microsoft has been sitting by, saying they have no competitors for a while now, while everyone eats them for lunch.  

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 25, 2013, 13:02 nate12345

Of the 4 family members I have who own an Iphone (4 and 5s), 3 of them are broken in some way! Two dropped and cracked the glass, and the other, I don't know wtf happened to it but the aluminum on the back is all bent inward so that phone only works some of the time. I cant say Android phones have been better as frankly I'm the only one who owns one (my wife is more a tablet person, she has a Nexus 10).

You small sample will have a very very low confidence interval. The authors of the study in the article have access to way more data points, and their results will have much greater confidence.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2013, 12:32 nate12345

I don't understand why the next gen consoles need to break compatibility. Can't they just upgrade the CPU, GPU, memory, etc.. Then create new new drivers for the new hardware, and let all the old games work with minimal patching. Right now, I can upgrade my whole computer and games still work. I can upgrade from an 8 year old CPU/GPU with WinXP to Win7 with modern CPU/CPU/Memory and everything still works. Why can't they do this with a console??  

News Comments > Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?
69. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 13:38 nate12345

This is good for Valve. The Windows platform is a sinking ship, and Microsoft heading towards a walled garden. They are already locking out Steam from some flavors of Windows8. Windows 8 RT does not allow side loading of apps, so they can only be installed from Microsoft's app store, Steam not allowed. Value is not leaving Windows, but they are shifting their center of gravity by supporting Linux so they are not as dependent on Microsoft.

This new Steam box will no doubt run a flavor of Linux, which I think is why Value has announced future support for Linux. You will still be able to use Windows, or Linux, and probably even your own SteamBox (custom parts running Linux or Windows).

7 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo