Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Luke G Kelly

Real Name Luke G Kelly   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname FloodAnxiety
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 18, 2012, 01:39
Total Comments 4 (Suspect)
User ID 57619

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 6, 2013, 01:52 FloodAnxiety

Steam Hardware Survey for December 2012 indicates usage of Windows 8 by Steam Users is already at 6.93% and rising much faster than any other OS. For Linux, only 1.51% of Steam Users (and that's graciously including "Other" in with Ubuntu.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
80. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 18, 2012, 01:36 FloodAnxiety

DukeFNukem wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 23:35:
So Windows 8 will close an app for if your not using it. Big whoopie do. How will it know whether you actually want an application left open or not? I keep hundreds of tabs open in my web browser, a PDF reader, NotePad++, Steam, SeaGate tools, etc. They run 24/7. They don't need to be closed. I DO NOT like this idea at all. Sounds like Microsoft wants to make every decision for the user now days...from the cradle to the ****ng grave.
For a well written app, an end user won't notice that the app has been terminated at all. Navigating or going back to the app will give the appearance that it was always running.

Furthermore, I actually enjoy getting popup windows from Adobe and other software. Forced updates are a bad idea. If the software changes in such a way that people don't WANT to upgrade to the latest version, what then?
There are no forced updates. Just a consistent way for the user to recieve all app updates.

Another bullshit so-called "PRO" of the Metro App store. All you are saying here is that it's good for small developers who aren't well known. Yet there are TONS of websites on the internet where small developers can promote their software. CNET is a great place for developers to have their software showcased.
Average users never discover those places. Developers want exposure to non-techy folks to grow their market.

An unresponsive application isn't a reason to contemplate suicide. Start the task manager and kill the application.
Average users don't know about task manager. A poorly designed unresponsive program is a not a good end user experience.

71. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 22:45 FloodAnxiety

ASeven wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 22:39:
FloodAnxiety wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 21:17:

New user registering today just to post this. Yeah, not suspicious at all.

I've been reading BluesNews since quake 1; but don't normally post. Created a new account because I've long stopped using whatever email it was I originally signed up for. What was suspicious about that? Everyone at one point signed up just to post something, as there are no other benefits of signing up.

58. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 21:17 FloodAnxiety

Game devs should not feel threatened by the windows 8 app store. They can still sell their desktop games the same way as they used to. They are only worried because if users start to gravitate to the app store they may stop purchasing desktop apps from other channels. If that does happen then that will only validate the direction they are going with the app store.

The certification process is a necessary evil to ensure that end user gets a good quality experience from these apps.

Here are some PROs of Windows 8 Store apps:

- The app can utilize more resources. All apps are required to properly support suspending and the possibility that the OS can terminate the app when it is not running. This means that an app store game can be a resource hog, and other open apps that are not running will get terminated if your app requires the resources used by that app.
- Consistent ways to update all of your apps. No more Quicktime/Adobe flash updaters pop ups and the corresponding services that are constantly running in the background checking for these updates.
- Security of the walled garden builds trust in the store and their apps. This will increase the number of users willing to take a chance on your software if you aren't a well known and trusted publisher.
- Installing an app can only install that app. No more hidden installations of google toolbar and other crap that you didn't ask for.
- Simple and easy way to uninstall an app, and uninstall it cleanly. Most desktop software today will leave things behind, such as loose files and additions to the registry. Which contributes to the decline in performance and disk space of the PC after several years.
- Apps that go unresponsive (the grey ghosting of the title bar you see in desktop apps) are terminated immediately. This raises the bar on developers to write responsive UIs.

Classic desktop applications can still have a short cut tile on the start screen obviously. But the desktop app won't be able to take advantage of the above mentioned benefits of Windows Store Apps.

As for the desktop experience in Windows 8; I don't miss the start button at all. Instead of having a roughly 50x50 hot spot for the mouse to click on, there is a 4x4 hot spot right in the corner. I know where the start button is, I don't need the wasted pixels on my taskbar to show the Windows Logo. Not that I use it much anyways, since the Windows key on the keyboard has always opened the start menu and still has the same function.

I also definitely like the multi-monitor taskbar and having the taskbar icons show on the moniter where the applications are being displayed.

tldr; Lots of improvements all around. Devs should target the app store to reap the additional benefits it provides, or they can stick to the old way of doing things.

4 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo