Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for datachasm

Real Name datachasm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 11, 2012, 19:13
Total Comments 20 (Suspect)
User ID 57614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > State of Decay DLC Next Week
6. Re: State of Decay DLC Next Week Nov 17, 2013, 17:30 datachasm

agreed its a great sandbox game, i like it as much as freedom fighters, just cause 2, etc etc, maybe more because there is a nice rpg side to the game. your home base can be upgraded, your character gets tired and will have to be swapped out with other survivors, but you must earn their friendship first. skills upgrade with use, lots of weapons. dlc at $7 looks to be a great deal, says it adds sandbox mode which i guess is just the game with no "story", just quests and exploration... im currently at the church so i cant say if the game has a short campaign that cuts you off or what. i wanna add that this is a cryengine3 game (thats not a crysis game), so what star citizen will be using.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $21M; Video & Hangar Patch Released
24. Re: Star Citizen Hits $21M; Video & Hangar Patch Released Oct 14, 2013, 14:34 datachasm

hangar is already out, dogfighting in december, next will be social which i think will open the areas around your hangar, bars and shops etc etc, sometime winter/spring, then ship boarding (see where this is going, each module builds onto the last one), then summer 2014 squadron 42 singleplayer, then december 2014 star citizen persistent universe.

i think im skipping bf4 (well maybe)and anything else and sinking all my gaming dollars into star citizen.

and dont forget haters: this is using cryengine which i think they have used before to make a FPS game with vehicles?

but im glad many wont be getting onboard in favor of buying saints row 6, gta 8, bioshock 5, and call of duty 23. have fun with that!

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $21 Million
38. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 04:16 datachasm

go read about the development of Freelancer on wikipedia... Chris Roberts already tried to make this game once. what happened? Microsoft bought his studio Digital Anvil and asked that they "tone down" the features.

i think that their schedule is realistic, hangar, dogfighting, social/planetside, boarding, single player, persistent universe. a release every quarter.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $20M
22. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 06:52 datachasm

bah...

what me worry? this guy made: wing commander, starlancer, & freelancer! consider these r&d for SC... freelancer hints at much more depth that was incomplete due to publisher intervention, which is gone with SC. hopefully Roberts will not become a George Lucas.

they are using cryengine3, as he pointed our in the last video they have crysis 3 functionality right out of the box. i believe the last video he alluded to the art assets being the largest amount of work facing them prior to the ks.

so i imagine most the design is done (what was left out of freelancer along with what has been dreamed up in the last 10 years), the engine is done and is a proven platform for FPS with vehicles.

cant wait!

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
32. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 15:10 datachasm

the hangar module and bigger ships are already there... you can walk around FPS, walk around your spacecraft. i have a freelancer, it has 3 sections, the cockpit crew area, what i suspect is a engineering area, and the cargo hold.

it does say "select lawless planets", simply an instance or quest i would imagine. so far the hangar is clearly an instance.

so: land on planet/goto bar/accept quest "land on planet x, find dastardly pirates in jungle/kill their leader"

i dont see how this is going to be an issue since they are not building a game engine.

ill keep mentioning the game Freelancer... the design of that game was amazing imo, could have been much better if it was deeper, there are hints of deeper gameplay aspects, im confident Star Citizen will be a more complete experience.

my only real concern will be the direction they go after release... will they in fact update it and add content for years to come? thats the gamble, but it looks like many of us that want to see this game happen have deep pockets!

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
42. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 14:03 datachasm

also i wanna add...

dang! i upgraded to digital freelancer awhile back, all said im in $110 on that (+ $30 more from my initial KS pledge, gave my brother a key). love the ship, looks great in the hangar.

realized i want a hornet... dangit it is a $110 ship too... i currently cant justify going in that far. i think the hornet will be the ship used in squadron 42, since in its bio it says this is the fighter ship of the bengal carriers.

also seen some talk about the corvette... i think you can still get it in the $5000 package deal and its not a limited number.

maybe the talk was about the carrier, dunno whatever.

finally, noticed an article about a recent KS, nothing that the SOTS ground pounders KS is live.

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
41. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 13:54 datachasm

okay here is how private servers will likely work:

freelancer (digital anvil) was roberts game, and intended as a mmo, roberts left game and it rushed to retail missing features, but a complete game.

freelancer you could single player campaign (ie squadron 42). campaign was sequential but the whole universe was there sandbox style.

co-op/multi, you ran a 3mb server app and connected to it, the universe is there complete, but the main campaign quests were gone. all the side quests (taken in station bars, we have seen these in the SC artwork, same thing) were there, trade was there.

this is it folks. difference being SC will have the persistent universe to connect to that was cut from freelancer.

probably cut from concerns over cost. makes sense roberts would add the shop and all that.

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
55. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 11:04 datachasm

whoever said Roberts had no MMO experience obviously did not play Freelancer, which if i remember correct was intended to be exactly what he is promising with SC.

that was a great game, and you could tell certain areas were incomplete: like the ship sensors which were functioning but really didnt do anything (like target ship systems, etc). i think the game was rushed in the end and Roberts left the project. it was still great, me and the gf son used to play all the time, i ran a 2-3 mb server app on my PC and he joined me, and it held the persistent universe.

my main concern presently, is that if the game is meant to be PC, why is it handling like a port? i get sluggish "porty" free look and all that. another problem, is that the extra stuff, like animation to sit in your ships cockpit, is just that, animation. its nothing special and after you have seen it a few times in game you will get over it. it will be like launching in Freelancer, an animation of your ship leaving a station or planet, just slows you down. the Rouge System KS looked really cool as far as the cockpit, you powered up and down ship systems, had to deal with climate control and all that, very immersive.

and the game credits, i still have not seen the shop so i cant really comment. hopefully its shored up and they become more valuable. i am not against this but it can become a money pit so i can see where there are concerns. this will be a big deal how its handled. i sunk plenty of cash into LOTRO to buy credits and unlock quest packs and all that, and then each expansion coming out just gave the quest packs away and made my purchases redundant and ran me off. hopefully SC is a better game for me and this is not the case.

News Comments > BF4 Gamescom Details Wrap-up
17. Re: BF4 Gamescom Details Wrap-up Aug 26, 2013, 16:57 datachasm

yes im in for a built in voip being superior to private comms (at least for me). im not a clan member nor do i have a regular group... so its important that when i join a random squad, usually because it has more members than the default one the game assigned me to, that i can chat with the squad. also helps with commander mode a ton, and i like commander mode personally. it was a bit stripped down in 2142 but with BF2 it was a blast hauling ass or hunkering down when you heard the incoming artillery. commander would help control the vehicles a bit too, in BF3 sometimes you get screwed when the enemy has competent tanks and LAVs, and if that wasnt bad enough some assholes stole all your teams vehicles as well.

if someone leaves their mic on, or its a dumbass, i can hit mute on that player, problem solved.

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarted
27. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarted Apr 8, 2013, 18:29 datachasm

noticed this on day one, backed at $25, and upped my pledge 4 times or so to finally hit $150. i have only backed this and Star Citizen.

dumped my Torment pledge about halfway to add to SotA. Torment has no multiplayer... it will very likely plummet in price/value after release.

it was a great kickstart, excellent use of the streaming camera, with Garriot even dungeon mastering some d&d, being interviewed, and being very transparent with the backers and answering tons of questions.

i was surprised no news over here about it...

anyways, for me it was a no brainer. a good rpg with a chance of standing out from the pack and being innovative and unique? count me in! Garriot mentioned the possibility of having to type to NPC's instead of just choosing from menus... we will see!

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Trailer Tease
26. Re: Battlefield 4 Trailer Tease Mar 19, 2013, 17:29 datachasm

i wanna say i have no intention to get BF4, but a few things i miss:

the commander and artillery
squad voip
classic maps returning (BFV in particular)
id HATE to lose Karkland & Sharqi! again!
2142 sequel... im all in. and yes i recall BF2 players HATING on 2142

say what you want about BF3, but i dont think i could return to BF2, i tried to play some 2142 but missed the play updates, improved graphics, etc

News Comments > Victory Kickstarter Cancelled
2. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 14:18 datachasm

i would like to see a real spiritual successor to Rebellion. EAW was quite good (but imo not deeply strategic at all) but support was sorely lacking, which may not be their fault but i haven't noticed that change on any game they have made (correct me if i am wrong). they are throwing out Red Alert and Dune... i just dont think this bunch of guys can make something like that these days that is actually innovative. are there really people who want a sequel to UAW?

i think the great Petroglyph was just a hyped up myth that never delivered.

News Comments > Shackleton Crater Kickstarter
10. Re: Shackleton Crater Kickstarter Mar 12, 2013, 04:54 datachasm

$24 for a copy of the game, +$6 to be in the beta (same month as release), here is the kicker: $50 and you get all the above and a FREE DLC!!! awesome!!!  

News Comments > Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter
2. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 17:33 datachasm

agreed, very interested in seeing the IP continue, but have zero faith in what im seeing; very amateur presentation. maybe im wrong?  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update
6. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 9, 2013, 16:35 datachasm

i backed this at $45, not very worked up about it but so far happy to help given its popular (and i will get W2). single player only is a big turn off for me. i want to like these kinds of games but they usually are far too tedious for me. we shall see... i may drop out near the end, but then again i may hold my ground, i love crowd funding for gaming.

LB's game on the other hand looks really good and interesting to me... the MP aspect (hopefully akin to NWN1 persistent servers) pulled me in half an hour after i noticed the KS. i think the screens show plenty of promise... the more i hear him go on about his universe the more interested i get.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Reveal This Month?
20. Re: Battlefield 4 Reveal This Month? Mar 9, 2013, 11:39 datachasm

im a big Battlefield fan... but yea have no intention of getting this, unless its related to 2142 or BFV.

i would rather see BF3 get more work... specifically all the prior maps from the other games. i mainly play on Karkland and Sharqi 24/7 servers as it is. i would love to see some of the BFV maps return!

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
70. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 08:49 datachasm

i backed this as soon as i watched the video... i think the game looks great as is, it can only get better. Looked imo nearly as good if not better than LOTRO. i was also sold on the MP aspects of the game and backed about half an hour after i seen the KS was live. Torment had me fenced being single player only (and clearly reaching goal!), but i went ahead and backed at $45, i may drop it later... really no risk in not backing it and the tiers are rather meh.

too bad Rouge System is gonna flop!

News Comments > Petroglyph's Victory Revealed
8. Re: Petroglyph's Victory Revealed Feb 26, 2013, 19:20 datachasm

yea im in for incredibly unimpressed with Petroglyph.

got their Empire at War years ago... was on the "they are Westwood" bandwagon... EAW? wow! it so reminds of one of my favorite Star Wars games: Rebellion, blah blah.

it was a pretty good game but not very deep... and missing features, then maybe 2 patches and no news until they announce an expansion: this kinda stuff really pisses me off. i think the multiplayer game sync issues are still in that game all these years from launch.

nothing they have done since has impressed me, and if im not mistaken their support cycle has not changed.

News Comments > ROAM Kickstarter Ends Today
4. Re: ROAM Kickstarter Ends Today Feb 24, 2013, 11:54 datachasm

looks interesting but i dont really need it and its making goal.

i would however like to see Rouge System get made!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1298800608/rogue-system?ref=category

maybe a small story here could help? hmmmm....

News Comments > Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer
41. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 12:42 datachasm

i loved the new Trek, i consider myself a Trek fan... i love TOS, i can abide TNG which simply was not nearly as good (imo), and the rest are blah. yes i mean DS9, Voyager, Enterprise. none really capture the thrill of TOS, but the movie does. not really a fan of Nero... he seemed like the same old TNG villian, just another anthropomorphic butthead. i like how Kirk really stands out as a leader driving the crew to do things they might not like... excellent. also i loved Pike's involvement.

that having been said... dunno about this game. i was plenty stoked about it at first but the more i see the more wary i am.

i can live without "driving" the Enterprise 3rd person... c'mon! co-op from the bridge is what i would wanna see. i can imagine this is just the tip of the iceberg for lazy game design on this one.

20 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo