Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krizzen

Real Name Krizzen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 22, 2012, 21:40
Total Comments 161 (Novice)
User ID 57568

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
15. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 7, 2014, 22:38 Krizzen

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 22:07:
Quboid wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 21:46:
How many degrees of freedom (is that the phrase?) does it have?

The latest TrackIR has all 6; rotating on all three axis and moving on all 3. In games that supported it, you could move (as well as just rotate) your viewpoint to look around an obstacle.
Just got mine delivered today (TrackIR5), freaking loving it so far.

I get 6 degrees of freedom with FaceTrackNoIR and a PS3 Eye Camera coming in at a whopping $10. Works great, though the real issue is with the fact that your head turns while the display stays stationary. It's just something I can't get used to.

So, I'm really looking forward to Oculus Rift, and the head tracking improvements were greatly needed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Subnautica Announced
11. Re: Subnautica Announced Dec 17, 2013, 00:11 Krizzen

Sweet! Something different! Can't wait to see what they have planned mechanics-wise.  

News Comments > The Division Engine Trailer
12. Re: The Division Engine Trailer Dec 8, 2013, 22:40 Krizzen

Looks an awful lot like Frostbite. If not, good on them. It definitely rivals DICE's engine for sure.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Revealed
22. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 18:55 Krizzen

Looks interesting, but procedural worlds can get real boring, REAL fast. The real charm in procedural generation comes from the lack of too much procedural generation. If the planets are scaled down (i.e. not realistic scales), then the procedural generation could be very interesting, especially with a few hand crafted terrain features and structures/objectives scattered throughout.  

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
42. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 01:20 Krizzen

I bet $100 he'll be with Valve very, very shortly and there will be much rejoice.  

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins
30. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Testing Begins Nov 21, 2013, 00:11 Krizzen

Reaper of Souls... Not interested thanks to their design choices.

My biggest issue with Diablo 3 is the auction house. I could go on and on about the problems, but I'll just summarize by saying it ended up completely destroying any "fuck yeah! I can't believe I found this!" moments. This lead to a strange cycle of wanting to farm for items then immediately deciding your better off searching the auction house. It kept leaving me wondering whether I should even play the game.

The worst part of the auction house is how it can make you not want to play the game when you think about playing it. Here's why: when you're not playing, the auction house inevitably inflates further eroding what value you have in your current item set. So, if you don't play for a month or two, your items are practically worthless leaving you wondering where or how to continue. Should I sell my stuff and upgrade? Then I'll skip content. Do I press on anyway? Then my finds are worthless.

The most offensive thing about the auction house is it's removal. While we don't have a definite release date on Reaper of Souls, the auction house will surely conveniently close right around it's release rather than when people want it to close, which is right fucking NOW!

So, I just can't support those clowns putting on a show like that. In fact, I don't even like clowns.

News Comments > Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans
28. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 3, 2013, 02:25 Krizzen

In the video here, Carmack mentions that they're piggybacking on upcoming mobile display innovations (like Retina display) and they'll soon have 4K displays. So, it sounds like the Android partnership will bring the Oculus Rift better displays, faster. Yippee!  

News Comments > Saturday Previews
9. Re: Saturday Previews Oct 27, 2013, 12:20 Krizzen

Reaper of Souls is the first Diablo product I'm not interested in at all. I'm sure it will sell well, but it must be *extremely* awesome to fix the faults of Diablo 3 and save face.  

News Comments > Path of Exile Launches
21. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 03:33 Krizzen

It's really awesome to see this game finally go live, and the Steam release is a bit of a surprise to me. I'm sure it gets old hearing, "those guys really deserve all the success they get", but it's true. Here's the lead developer's desk during first public weekend during beta.

If you wish Diablo 3 were deeper or just really love stat-heavy RPGs, give POE a go. I've had a blast all through beta, and it's only getting better.

News Comments > Terra Ex Kickstarter
15. Re: Terra Ex Kickstarter Oct 17, 2013, 23:17 Krizzen

$200k for a browser game? BAHAHAH!  

News Comments > Steam Hardware Prototype Details
29. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 5, 2013, 01:00 Krizzen

This is so bad. It's like Valve thinks they can negotiate bulk deals on hardware and sell a shitload of it to consumers. Valve has no market share. I mean, it's like they think they have an entire army of developers actively developing for their platform. Who wants to sell on Steam? Not to mention it's such a closed platform. Then they have the nerve to price it so damn high.  

News Comments > BeamNG Racing Game Alpha
6. Re: BeamNG Racing Game Alpha Aug 11, 2013, 17:02 Krizzen

Cpmartins wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 15:29:
Edit: They use the Cryengine 3 for rendering purposes. The physical modelling and soft-body simulation is proprietary. maybe Crytek will license it from them, who knows.

No, they use Torque3D. Most of their early videos are using Cryengine, but they've switched to avoid licensing fees.

Honestly I think they should develop their technology to utilize GPUs via OpenCL and then license it out to other developers.

News Comments > Matt Hooper Joins Oculus VR
18. Re: Matt Hooper Joins Oculus VR Aug 9, 2013, 04:55 Krizzen

Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 01:32:
tl;dr: OculusVR has a great marketing team.

I can assure you they aren't selling snake oil. If you want that, check out the zSight, priced at an affordable $13,000.

News Comments > NVIDIA's Cloud Rendering
20. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Rendering Jul 29, 2013, 16:23 Krizzen

It's important to note that the demo shown is a method to essentially precompute irradiance transfers and streams those to clients. It doesn't do ray tracing or path tracing, so this isn't a scientifically accurate render. GPUs are capable of correctly simulating light using compute shaders (OpenCL, DirectX11, CUDA) to do what is called an unbiased render.

A few notable engines that support indirect illumination are DICE's Frostbite 2 which simulates radiosity via the spherical harmonics method, and the latest Unreal engine which uses the voxel method, similar to one shown in the nVidia demo here.

So, it's not groundbreaking tech as far as rendering, but it's still pretty awesome.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock
39. Re: Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock Jul 27, 2013, 02:03 Krizzen

NKD wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 23:36:
Krizzen wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 21:50:
Blizzard has had the privilege to operate independently when they were owned by Davidson and Associates and that carried over to when they were owned by Vivendi. Now that Activision owns controlling interest in Blizzard, I fear that Blizzard has now lost it's independence. So if you guys think their situation is bad now, it's only just begun.

You're a little late to the party, Blizzard hasn't had independence for five years. Vivendi flushed all that down the toilet when they merged them with Activision.

Wrong. Blizzard retained its autonomy and corporate leadership. Now Vivendi has lost controlling interest in Blizzard (from 63% to 12%).

It's convenient isn't it? Do it right, get the credit. Do it wrong, people blame some meddling corporate hierarchy.

Never underestimate corporate greed.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock
37. Re: Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock Jul 26, 2013, 21:50 Krizzen

Blizzard has had the privilege to operate independently when they were owned by Davidson and Associates and that carried over to when they were owned by Vivendi. Now that Activision owns controlling interest in Blizzard, I fear that Blizzard has now lost it's independence. So if you guys think their situation is bad now, it's only just begun.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Battlelog Details
7. Re: Battlefield 4 Battlelog Details Jul 25, 2013, 13:08 Krizzen

Shut up and take my money, my personal information, and totally bastardize my (once) favorite franchise! Seriously can't wait to have my artificially enhanced BF4 e-peen readily available on the go! My friends really surely gawk in awe at all the dog tags I've racked up by purchasing the latest DLC!  

News Comments > EA Financial Results
13. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 09:31 Krizzen

I don't know how those clowns do it.

Just the other day I decided to fire up some Battlefield 3. Oh yeah, need to open Origin. Forgot my password. Gotta reset. Then Origin has to update. Then I have to download a 6 gig patch for BF3. Then I have to use their horrendous web browser game browser. Oh, then I have to update the browser plugin. It doesn't work. After about 30 mins of troubleshooting, I discover I've disabled it in Firefox. It's clearly labeled as "Battlefield 3 Battlelog Plugin". Just kidding, it's called "ESN Launch" (WTF?). Now I'm ready to go. Search for servers. No results. Fiddle with filters... still no results. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and they start mysteriously loading into the list. Yippee! I finally find a US based server, connect in, and finally I can blast some ass. I score a kill or too, and BOOM! Back to desktop. Punkbuster needs to be updated...

What was so broken with something like, say, the Quake 3 server browser? Are all these steps necessary?

Anyway, after that crap, I can't find myself buying anything else from EA.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 16, 2013, 18:26 Krizzen

nin wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 09:30:
100 Diablo 3 podcasts...that's just...

How do you talk about D3 for 100 podcasts?!?

"Hey guys, it's us again! They're still working on that next patch. Hear it's gonna be awesome! Really! Anyone looked at the AH lately? OMG!"

This may sound stupid, but that's pretty much how it goes. I'd say the hardcore Diablo fans that stick around are like folks who really love some line of classic cars. So, some may love or hate the new Camaro, but they all connect when it comes to the classics.

Basically, it's still interesting for those long-time fans to follow the development of the Diablo franchise, good and bad.

News Comments > F1 2013 Announced
12. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 16, 2013, 03:31 Krizzen

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 18:59:
Any recommendations on a PC based/exclusive non-steam single player racer? High-end and/or wheel required ok. Need for Speed was fun back in the day.

If you happen to wanna try a more realistic sim, Live for Speed is amazing. It's a bit dated, but I've never played any sim where the tires just "felt" real. The entire tire is modeled from the wear measured over some 64 points, temperature across those points, and the effects of the tire compressing and the result based on the heat and load. It's pretty amazing. It also models suspension, differentials, and damage quite realistically. Of course you can tweak all the parameters like tire pressure, camber, castor, suspension forces, and gear ratios.

161 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo