Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 495 (Amateur)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
323. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 22, 2014, 21:00 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 19:56:
Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 21:18:
And why is this never discussed: What company WANTS to piss off their customers?
You'd think none, but if you worked with telcos on a regular basis you know it wasn't the case. Comcast is pretty good at it too, but they are a special case -- legal monopoly.

yeah, i mean there are some diabolical companies out there, and i don't mean that large = diabolical. i'm not talking about the companies who cut services and raise the prices, that' bad, but i'm talking about the companies that cut off the WATER SUPPLY, and then charge people who have no concept of money $5 a jug to stay alive/ all the while getting lobbyists to champion their industry in washington so that they can further deceive, lie, and cheat. those guys do exist.

however.

a kickstarter videogame company? "polar opposite" comes to mind...

but leave it to angry antisocial gamers to try and convince you that they're the same thing ^_^ I mean they DID vote EA worst company in America 2 years in a row, beating out old-time favorites in "awful" such as Citibank, and Bank of America, a couple companies part of a very small club who's members actually systematically control the world.

but when i think of pure undiluted, pulsing, throbbing, diabolical evil... i think Madden '14

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

321. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 22, 2014, 18:55 Slick

so the solo world isn't curated at all? there's nothing in that galaxy that's there by design, it's all random? that makes the solo experience sound even more hollow than i'd originally thought.

I'm pretty sure that a huge selling point of this game was the persistent galaxy. so you have either a 400+ gig install, or a totally randomly generated game. these are the choices for offline? i'd pick secret option #3, a connected persistent galaxy. funny, that's the same choice that the people who built the game also made, i guess i just have a knack for these things i guess! ^_^

and i've never once told someone they didn't have the right to complain, this is the second time i've had to refute this, what's going on with that? i've said multiple times that you can cry all you want over spilt milk, but it doesn't make it not dumb.

see? this is what's wrong with gamers yet again, everything goes straight to rights, it's so egotistical. anyone points out how wrong you are, and you gotta start talking about someone infringing your rights... to be dead wrong.

this "broken promise" is akin to only getting 2 ketchup packets with your fries instead of 3 at the drive-thru. it's not the end of the world. Actually wait, scratch that, not getting that 3rd ketchup packet is far more an egregious offense. You see in the ketchup scenario, your burger and fries experience would be slightly altered.

see what i did there? Drummer

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Nov 21, 2014, 12:09 Slick

chuckle  

319. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 20, 2014, 21:18 Slick

and one little side note, which i'm also surprised hasn't been brought up: The game has 400 Billion star systems

has anyone even realised that for a fully offline solo mode, that even if all the gamecode was star systems and nothing else, and each system was 1 byte in size, then it would mean a 400 Gigabyte install?

So the list grows again, the ONLY people affected by this decision are:

1) people who've pre-ordered, and played it already online
2) people who only want to play solo
3) people who don't have good internet
4) people who's internet can still handle a 400 Gigabyte download.

But you know, you can just compare those poor souls (who don't exist) to the people throwing themselves off buildings at Foxconn, they're basically the same thing.

318. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 20, 2014, 21:18 Slick

nah i think we're running out of steam here, we broke 300 and i'm happy with that

I do see valid logic in many of your points, however i do think that there are more dignified ways of going about getting your point across than kicking and screaming, however kicking and screaming have an alarming track-record of being effective. it's kind of disgusting really, that the same tactics which are used to sway politics, governments, important shit, are the same being used so that you don't have to sign in before playing a videogame. i BET that if 50,000 people wrote a short letter to the devs and signed a petition, it would catch their eye, ALOT more than encouraging the internet to boycott.

and to assume that they'll just obviously do what's in THEIR best interest and not in their CUSTOMERS interest is DIABOLOCAL. Most companies do NOT operate like this. this is tin-foil hat territory. if you really think that every business is out there to scam you or steal from you, you belong in the nuthouse.

And why is this never discussed: What company WANTS to piss off their customers? maybe companies like activision can just snooze through development of another 10 CoD games assuming people will "just buy it", but Frontier is trying to gain the hearts and minds of a whole new generation with this title, it's not exactly in their best interest to make decisions that are going to alienate them. Get it? if your business is making burgers, and you keep topping them with little pieces of shit, then you're not going to be making much money.

It reminds me of that band in the 80's, whose record, if played backwards, supposedly had demonic chants and instructed the listeners to kill themselves. they had a whole legal trial for it, it's not made up. but i'm with Bill Hicks on this: "What performer wants their audience dead? i just don't get the long term-gains here!"

having to login to play a game isn't a slippery slope. it's not chipping away at your freedoms, or at the quality and scope of the product. Thing are better than they've ever been in gaming. if you don't think so, get a GoG account, and never read about a new game again. It's like the geriatrics who claim it was always better back in the day. they want you to believe that we've been going backwards as a country, as a planet, and that because they now have to deal with twitter being a thing rather than ALL the other accomplishments we've achieved.

People didn't have to complain to get Mario, they didn't have to boycott to get Metroid, they never screamed insults to get Zelda, the game makers made games, and we loved them for it. Since when has the consumer dictated what the creator should do?

316. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 20, 2014, 14:02 Slick

clint wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 18:49:
Slick wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 17:28:
#1 the only people not getting refunds are the people who have been PLAYING the game already.

#2 anyone who's been playing the game already has had to be ONLINE to do so.

so again, nothing's changed.

and to insinuate that gamers would not want to kickstart a game that sounds fun, that they'd like to play, but won't because of something so trivial (as proven time and time again, if you can play on a train, then i think you'll be fine). i think you over-estimate how many QQers there are based on the few loud ones in the room.

numbers speak, and diablo 3 and simcity 5 sold a boat ton of copies, even after it was well-established that they were online only ahead of the launch date, giving anyone who's panties were really in a knot to cancel their pre-order. infact there were so many people playing, that it ironically melted the servers and the game experience was affected, which should ideally never happen, but occasionally does.

Dude you are correct on every point you are making. I know I and alot wouldnt have backed if MMO was mentioned in the sales pitch, but you are right that it likely would have been fine for FD as alot of others love MMO, online only games and possibly would have flooded to back it.. Internet bandwidth is small, hell you can play this on a train, (cool and weird) and there is a solo mode. Awesome right. People are not complaining about this. Some people think they are but really are not (or unable to grasp why they are feeling this so strongly but can only argue on the trivial points), otherwise this would have disappeared in a day.

This is about being pro consumer in a industry that is disempowering the market. Kickstarter/early access was becoming a bastion for the consumer as devs/small companies had to offer faith and assurances on something they didnt have. We gave on belief. That needs to be protected.
If you want to argue that faith and value in the sales pitch is not important, go for it. If you want to argue that consumers do not deserve refunds if they are unhappy with a product, go for it. If you want to argue that companies should always make decisions for their benefit at the consumers expense, go for it. You can argue that one company missing a promise doesnt mean others will follow or that FD really sorry and didnt mean to mislead anyone. You could argue that broken promises in kickstarter do not hurt kickstarter. You could try to argue that this is an isolated incident and not happening anywhere else and not happen again. You can argue that the consumer is powerless and we should just shutup and take up knitting. You can say that people have no right to complain. But the points you are making are not those, yet they come across as exactly those. People dont get cranky about trivial things.

Truthfully I am happy that you are happy with Elite and I hope you never have a reason to complain about this game, or any game, or any product, or government. If you do. Ill respect your right to be unhappy about it and any right that should go with that.

edit:spelling

lol, no i don't think i've ever complained about anything, i'm just happy-go-lucky fella, never a negative thought in my head. i'm whistling right now actually. that's right, i whistle for no fucking reason at all. i'm the epitome of people you just want to punch in the face

I do think that being pro-consumer is the most important thing for a company to do, but in that same breath, and stay with me here, it's expected of the consumer to sometimes wear their big-boy pants and understand that sometimes shit happens. gave devs are human beings, and some time things don't go according to plan for whatever reason. no it's not perfect, and that's alright. it's okay to be disappointed, but kicking and screaming like infants over spilled milk claiming that it's violating the sacred right of the consumer bla bla bla just makes you guys sound like children who need to grow up. people are talking like this is a sacred breach of trust, that the devs have no values, that they've gone from generally good guys trying to make a game i like, to awful shitscum who don't deserve any pity who are making the game i like.

there are real problems in the industry that could use some of this fervor, there are issues that i'd love to see get 1/10th the press that this does, but just like gamergate, you guys take aim at a good issue, cock the hammer, then shoot yourselves in the foot. no wonder people don't take you seriously, how could anyone?

do you picket and boycott Samsung because you once bought a crazy awesome monitor from them, that looked really nice and was cheap to boot... but it came with a deal pixel? has anyone ever gotten anywhere near as mad at something so trivial? no of course not, it would be silly, and you'd lose all respect for any group that made a stink about it, because they seem to really not understand how the world works.

they'd say: "it's part of the production process, sometimes things turn out only %99.5 percent the way we wanted." and you'd feel a bit sheepish for publicly revealing yourself to be so petty.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2014's "Biggest Entertainment Launch"; Series Tops $10B
12. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2014's Nov 20, 2014, 12:54 Slick

Advanced Warfare was dead on PC on day one.

you couldn't and still can't find any lobbies that at full enough to play any modes other than TDM, and occasionally domination.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
29. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 12:51 Slick

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 12:46:
You cannot, however, make major claims only to pull them later.

it's not a major claim. if you've been playing already then you've already passed the incredibly MINOR hurdle of having to log in first.

26. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 12:48 Slick

"We had considered that an online connection is a reasonable pre-requisite for a game delivered online."

and no one mentions the fact that they don't want to compromise the vision for their game by making an empty hollow feeling solo mode. fuck me a developer with a vision and some stones. then tell me that this is a move out of greed. greed that they're having to hand money back to people. dumbasses.

24. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 12:43 Slick

if you've been playing already, then you've been playing in an online-only way. therefore nothing will be different to you upon launch.

server code will be released if they ever shut down servers.

only furthering this being the biggest kicking and screaming party of the year.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
26. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2014, 00:44 Slick

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 16:13:
Xero wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 16:02:
Rockstar knows their audience! lol, the more they use the words sex and controversy, it raises an ear.

Nerds are like,,, Virtual BJs??? YES!!! In First person??? OMG!!!!!! I'M THERRRRRE!!!!!

lol.

Rockstar meanwhile is like, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Killer ap for Oculus Rift!

i know i just got my rift, so it might be the honeymoon talking... but playing GTA V in first person just feels like the best rift implementation possible. could work on morpheus, if they can optimize the bejesus out of it. we need improvements on the z-buffer rendering instead of true geometry 3D, if you only had to render the scene once, and not for each eye then the PS4 could actually handle GTA V on morpheus possibly with reduced settings.

305. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 19, 2014, 17:28 Slick

#1 the only people not getting refunds are the people who have been PLAYING the game already.

#2 anyone who's been playing the game already has had to be ONLINE to do so.

so again, nothing's changed.

and to insinuate that gamers would not want to kickstart a game that sounds fun, that they'd like to play, but won't because of something so trivial (as proven time and time again, if you can play on a train, then i think you'll be fine). i think you over-estimate how many QQers there are based on the few loud ones in the room.

numbers speak, and diablo 3 and simcity 5 sold a boat ton of copies, even after it was well-established that they were online only ahead of the launch date, giving anyone who's panties were really in a knot to cancel their pre-order. infact there were so many people playing, that it ironically melted the servers and the game experience was affected, which should ideally never happen, but occasionally does.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2014, 17:47.

303. Re: Into the Black Nov 19, 2014, 16:22 Slick

and just because i know that the drama queens won't actually bother to read what's been written to address teh offline issue, i'll post it here. Braben makes just about every single point i've been making:

---------------------------------------------------

Each of the “Elite” games pushed the boundaries of the technology available. With Elite: Dangerous a major new feature is playing online, and we are pushing that hard now. Offline support was not one of our original aims, though we did believe we could support it at the start of the project. We do a great deal of processing in the cloud, and this benefits everyone playing. We had considered that an online connection is a reasonable pre-requisite for a game delivered online. I am really sorry this has upset people, but we have a strong, consistent vision that we do not want to compromise.

Below we have collected common questions from backers and the press and our answers so we can be clear about the situation.

Can I still play in single player mode?
Yes. Some people have thought that dropping 100% offline play means there wouldn’t be a single-player mode - to be clear, the single-player game is already there, but it requires a low bandwidth online connection for the reasons we explained.
I’ve even played on a laptop using a tethered connection on the train.

When was the offline mode dropped?
The decision was made recently, and was not made lightly as we have been looking for ways to satisfy everyone. We announced shortly after we concluded that it wasn’t possible to create an offline mode without unacceptably compromising the game.

Offline-only support was a requested feature during the Kickstarter – why was it dropped?
Back during the Kickstarter, we were clear about the vision, to make a phenomenal new sequel to Elite in an online world, which we believe we are about to deliver. At the time we believed we could also offer a good single player experience, and base an acceptable offline-only experience off that. As development has progressed, it has become clear that this last assumption is not the case.

Why wait so long to announce this?
In retrospect we should have shared the fact that we were struggling with this aspect with the community, but we were still trying to find a solution. As features were implemented, for the best results we chose to prioritise delivery of the online single and multiplayer experiences, with a view to providing the offline version later in development. We had to make a decision for the good of the game, and that is what we did.

What would you lose in offline mode?
We have developed a multi-player game with an unfolding story involving the players, and groups collaborating with specific objectives and taking account of all player’s behaviour. This is what the game is about. Without this it would not be the rich gaming experience that we will deliver, and would be a great disappointment to all players.

Any offline experience would be fundamentally empty. We could write a separate mission system to allow a limited series of fixed missions, but that would still not be a compelling game, and is just the first step in the mountain of work that would be required.

Do you now consider Elite: Dangerous to be an MMO?
Technically, it has always been. There are already over 100,000 people playing in the same world. We believe that always-online entertainment is already a reality for the majority. We are delivering a truly huge game using the best technology and designed to stand the test of time, played for many years to come and still be relevant.

What do you say to people who backed Elite with an offline experience in mind?
Many of the conversations we have had during development focussed on backers wanting to play the game without the downside of online – griefing especially – ie a single player experience. We considered this to be the main issue and focussed on making sure we had a great single player offering. We have also ensured that the solo play mode has a minimal network requirement(about 10 kbps).

Are you confident the servers will be stable come launch day?
Yes, as confident as we can be, because we have been testing our servers throughout the development process, and continue to do so. Our servers are the same ones that Amazon uses, and can (and have) scaled up quickly to deal with demand when needed.

What is Frontier's plan for when the servers shut down?
We do not plan to shut the servers down, but understand it is a reasonable question. We are at the beginning of the game not the end and are focused on creating a game that we hope will be played for many years in the future. We do plan to take regular archives of the game and the servers, to preserve the game for the future.

Could the server code be released publicly some day when the servers are shut down?
Yes. This is something we would do if for whatever reason we cannot keep the game going.

Will offline mode ever be implemented? Why not create a second "offline galaxy" with different secrets than the online one?
It is not out of the question we will create a cut-down game that is offline only, but this is not currently in our plan. It would still be a big undertaking to do well.

Will you give people refunds?
We have started responding to requests where there is a clear outcome:
- Those who have pre-ordered an Elite: Dangerous release version from our online store and have therefore not yet played the game are eligible for a refund.
- Those who have already been playing the game online in the Alpha and/or Beta phases, regardless of whether they backed the project via Kickstarter or purchased access to Alpha and/or Beta through our online store, are not eligible for a refund.

We want to make sure we treat each person's situation with the thoroughness it deserves, and have contacted each of them to ask that they bear with us over the next few working days if their circumstances do not fit either criteria above as we look into individual requests.

Is offline mode an impossible problem, or just unfeasible?
It is a creative decision, not wanting to produce an empty game. It is technically possible, but it would be a largely separate game development.

Why not delay the decisions and put extra resources on this after the release?
We will review the decision after release, but our priority is moving the game forwards for the great majority of players, and are wary of producing a sub-standard game.

Was this because offline players are less likely to get involved in microtransactions? Is this just about the money?
No. We have been clear and consistent. This is about the game experience. I have always been against ‘pay to win’ – in a game like Elite: Dangerous there are a great many opportunities we could have taken already that would have amounted to ‘pay to win’ but we have chosen not to.

This whole issue comes down to what the vision is of the game we are making, and whether people trust us to make the right decisions. We made this decision with heavy hearts but for the right reasons.

David Braben

302. Re: Into the Black Nov 19, 2014, 16:21 Slick

Fantaz wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 15:59:
300 posts! (woooot!)

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 15:48:
Latest newsletter has a Q&A session with Braben about the offline mode.
Anyone interested click here

so they seem to contradict themselves, that it is both an MMO and will have a single-player game mode...

well, it's "solo mode" not "single player" this game has always proposed to be not much more than a medium for gamers to populate the galaxy and let them forge their own stories. so solo has always been an "empty" experience as Braben says, lacking the above.

297. Re: Into the Black Nov 19, 2014, 01:30 Slick

clint wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 17:25:
Slick wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:54:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 12:18:
Slick wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 09:09:
jesus christ. it HAS singleplayer! nothing has changed!

I think most folks who are upset are upset because a promised feature was removed. You seem to be getting bogged down in whether or not that feature has any merit.

Replace "Offline Mode" with Mario Kart ships. A bunch of people got excited and kickstarted Elite Dangerous because they wanted to fly Mario Kart ships. At the last minute, the Mario Kart ships were dropped, so folks who kickstarted and really liked that feature are unhappy. I don't really see what's wrong with voicing that you are unhappy that you can't fly as Princess Peach.

you're comparing real gameplay against having to login before playing the game. nothing about the game has changed, they haven't altered one pixel. so your analogy kind of breaks down. to play a PC game it's usually 2 clicks, now it's 3. that's literally all that's changed, it's gone from 2 clicks for a shortcut, to 2 clicks for a launcher shortcut, then click "play" on the launcher. that's all this boils down to, is 1 click. or as the mouth-breathing masses would have you believe "the end of days".

yes i'm getting bogged down in the facts of this debate, i seem to be one of the few who can. i'm deciding to look at the real-world OBSERVABLE (read*scientific) results from this change. so far it's 2 to 3 clicks, and 400 bytes of data per second.

if they promised mario kart ships, and didn't do it, then my game experienced would be altered slightly, and i'd have full motivation to be upset and even demand a refund if my butt was hurt enough. but this isn't that case, the gameplay experience is identical to how it's already always been (since alpha, had to sign in to play, even solo, omg and the world didn't end)

i'm not saying people don't have the RIGHT to be upset, but they're wailing like banshees over something far less damaging than a single drop of metaphorical spilled milk. and i don't trust the motivations of anyone so quick to crusade.

Quick advice for you and others. Your constant need to tell us technical details and how minimal and small the problem is. Everyone knows and doesnt care. That is trivial and only fuels the debate as it looks like you need to be lectured to , (thus the irony of my post) I am now assumming at this point you have been serious all along and not trolling to keep the fire going.
Your last line is the closest Ive seen you get to understanding whats really going on. Im not going to spell it out. You need to figure it out and read what people are actually saying, ignore the technicalities. Bonus points if you can state what people are really upset about and why it is a crusade and why it has not disappeared.

it's a crusade because gamers love championing any cause against game devs, it's a well known fact. no issue is too small, to hiccup too irrelevant. instead of having an ounce of humility, gamers will gladly throw themselves headfirst into a battle against any perceived injustice, no matter how small or inconsequential. (ironic once more that these are the kinds of people who love using the term "SJW" against others as an attack.) everything that's not perfect is a slight against them personally, and they won't stop until someone pays for this transgression. everything is a slippery slope to a doomsday scenario where today it's one thing, tomorrow they're fucking your sister. if a game requires the internet today, tomorrow they might require... what? please tell me, tell me what possible nightmarish endgame could play out where needing to be online to play a game in 2014 is akin to the end of days. i swear this world of technological marvels is wasted on the shittiest generation of non-contributing fucktards.

today i flew my spaceship in virtual reality across star systems, in a galaxy-sized simulation without leaving my desk. if you aren't in awe then you're missing the point. you will miss everything good in this life and die angry.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 18, 2014, 19:39 Slick

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:50:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:24:
Been watching a lot of streams last few days, meh, theres really nothing in this version for people who play online. Single player, sure, but for that I can wait till it goes on sale this holiday season. Looking forward to base jumping and motocrossing in first person.

Wish we could control our own servers, ie: Option: Lock First Person View.

pretty sure i saw something about being able to control your own "server playlist" and being able to enable/disable or even force first-person.

I seem to have this crazy input lag though, it's really almost half a second, it's crazy, no idea how i've made it this far in the game like this. i've read disconnect your internet, disable UPNP on the router, does nothing. this seems %100 unplayable in the state that it's in right now, i'm pretty thunderstruck. and i'm not the only one:

here

and

here

291. Re: Into the Black Nov 18, 2014, 16:54 Slick

AngelicPenguin wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 12:18:
Slick wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 09:09:
jesus christ. it HAS singleplayer! nothing has changed!

I think most folks who are upset are upset because a promised feature was removed. You seem to be getting bogged down in whether or not that feature has any merit.

Replace "Offline Mode" with Mario Kart ships. A bunch of people got excited and kickstarted Elite Dangerous because they wanted to fly Mario Kart ships. At the last minute, the Mario Kart ships were dropped, so folks who kickstarted and really liked that feature are unhappy. I don't really see what's wrong with voicing that you are unhappy that you can't fly as Princess Peach.

you're comparing real gameplay against having to login before playing the game. nothing about the game has changed, they haven't altered one pixel. so your analogy kind of breaks down. to play a PC game it's usually 2 clicks, now it's 3. that's literally all that's changed, it's gone from 2 clicks for a shortcut, to 2 clicks for a launcher shortcut, then click "play" on the launcher. that's all this boils down to, is 1 click. or as the mouth-breathing masses would have you believe "the end of days".

yes i'm getting bogged down in the facts of this debate, i seem to be one of the few who can. i'm deciding to look at the real-world OBSERVABLE (read*scientific) results from this change. so far it's 2 to 3 clicks, and 400 bytes of data per second.

if they promised mario kart ships, and didn't do it, then my game experienced would be altered slightly, and i'd have full motivation to be upset and even demand a refund if my butt was hurt enough. but this isn't that case, the gameplay experience is identical to how it's already always been (since alpha, had to sign in to play, even solo, omg and the world didn't end)

i'm not saying people don't have the RIGHT to be upset, but they're wailing like banshees over something far less damaging than a single drop of metaphorical spilled milk. and i don't trust the motivations of anyone so quick to crusade.

282. Re: Into the Black Nov 18, 2014, 09:09 Slick

InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 07:32:
Ventura wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 06:15:
Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 22:15:
it's 2014, if you don't have functional internet at the most basic level, then move.

How does having the most reliable internet at home help me if I'm not at home?

I'm going away at Christmas time, 400km's south of this capital city here in Western Australia, and my dad has spotty internet that he pays through the nose for because he lives in the sticks.

Now, maybe I was planning on playing a little ED while away, and maybe I wasn't, but I'm not about to ask him to borrow his internet, so either way, Frontier has effectively made my choice for me.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have bought the game even if offline had never been promised, but I do remember reading about it prior to my purchase, and you'd better believe its inclusion influenced my decision.

You can talk up the game only needing 52 bytes to get going all you like, but, pray tell, what does it do if it doesn't receive them?

This is it exactly. Its about reneging on a promise. Not only that but it will severly limit (if not outright destroy) any possible modding opportunities for the game if the game relies on a lot of server calls. I for one dont have a problem with this decision, but I can see how many might feel cheated when they were told from day one that the game would have singleplayer out of the box.

jesus christ. it HAS singleplayer! nothing has changed! the only thing that's different is you have to login to play, that's literally all that's changed.

as for buddy who's visiting his relative on a farm in the sticks, and who doesn't want to "ask to borrow his internet" then what exactly is your issue then? too polite to not be mad at something which really isn't an issue for %99 of people %99 of the time.

if you people want a platform that caters to the lowest common denominator, may i recommend super nintendo? PC culture and PC gaming in particular has always been about been on the cutting edge. not throwing in the towel on the off chance that when visiting grampa joe on the farm you can't play your space sim for a week.

where does it end? "well i don't have access to a computer, they'd better cater to me too, i'll start a boycott if they don't release this as a mobile game" seems just as reasonable, why don't we bow down to that? "well i don't have access to a computer all the time, sometimes i have to work, or eat, or poop, and i can't play, this is unacceptable, and they should go bankrupt for this choice"

277. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 23:59 Slick

i'm sorry i left for a couple hours, you guys have been constantly talking about me tho right? k thx!

"If it weren't for people like slick, this sort of news would have disappeared in minutes and next to no-one would hear about it"

"reverse psychology"

oh dip, i think i just got trolled!

i think this thread's gotten by quite fine without my input, from wishing the company would go bankrupt, to dismissing all kickstarters as run by crooks, to inciting a wave of boycotts, to misinformation, to flat out lies (ie. shipping without a game mode that was promised), to generally running around this this is the worst thing ever.

but it's really me that's the one being obscene. guyssss. don't troll so good!

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2014, 00:04.

272. Re: Into the Black Nov 17, 2014, 22:15 Slick

it's 2014, if you don't have functional internet at the most basic level, then move. the way this thread reads is: "it's 1996, and we're all out of america-online 30 day trial floppy disks, damn those evil game devs! they are literally raping us!"

if your idea of being raped is having to login before playing a game, then might i suggest looking a word up in the dictionary that might be relevant: "hyperbole"

but you're right, i'm the one who's irrational.

495 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo