Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 1488 (Pro)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > HITMAN's Steep Specs
5. Re: HITMAN's Steep Specs Feb 10, 2016, 18:02 Slick

It's a sad state of affairs when a 4 year old mid-range GPU and a 6 year old CPU is considered "steep". But it's kinda true, compared with alot of "minimum specs" out there...

but if anything this is something that will make me take notice of the game

This thread was pretty boring till Slick got here. -Drayth
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Resumes
9. Re: Overwatch Beta Resumes Feb 10, 2016, 12:22 Slick

JeffD wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 10:10:
Devinoch wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 04:00:
I refuse to get this game without trying it, and I can't seem to get into ANY beta for it, so maybe I'm just going to take a pass on it. Oh well.

The game is going to be free to play. The pre orders you see are just retail copies that will supply you with ingame money for however much you bought it for, plus maybe some other bonuses.

lol, no.

please don't spread false info without doing some cursory research.

it's not F2P, it's paid retail, you get all heroes. This is old news.

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Resumes
3. Re: Overwatch Beta Resumes Feb 9, 2016, 19:34 Slick

I don't have access either...

just got off the phone with Bliz support, the guy said (even without looking my account up) that I was apart of the previous weekend-long stress-test, which was different from the first closed beta. apparently.

So you had to have been apart of the first closed beta, and not the weekend stress test. So tough titties.

gay.

News Comments > The Division Open Beta Next Week
2. Re: The Division Open Beta Next Week Feb 9, 2016, 15:13 Slick

Well, I think that entirely as a response to your videos that they need another beta to regain the trust necessary for a good launch.

It sucks, but some PC games are just dead on arrival, and fade after 1-2 weeks. Kinda makes me wish I was alright with playing on a console, they have the numbers to keep games alive. The PC community just seems to condemn one title or another before launch and then that's it, game over. And some of these games I actually enjoy, even with their faults...

The IP thing is criminal though. The hacking through walls should be easy enough to fix...

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Feb 9, 2016, 03:59 Slick

Kxmode wrote on Feb 9, 2016, 02:04:
Slick wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 19:11:
the Tomb Raider extra graphics is very meh.

You haven't played ROTTR. I have. The improvements over Tomb Raider 2013 is amazing. There are so many details. Like when people walk through deep snow the snow actually reacts. In environments where snow is blowing bodies that fall into snow will be partially covered if you walk away and a few minutes come back.

No I haven't played it. I'm just talking about the video you linked. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think adding anisotropic filtering is a "feature". It's not a bad looking game, but those before/after shots were very underwhelming. HBAO+ no wai? how 2007....

Anyways, not hating, just saying that the before/after differences of the vid you posted aren't anywhere near as dramatic as the downgrade that The Div got. It's on the same level of Witcher 3 from the trailers to the actual game, it's very noticeable.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2016, 04:54.

News Comments > Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups
35. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 8, 2016, 19:29 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 04:49:
How are you defending a company who doesn't give a penny of their billions of revenue to actually fund the games they sell?

Just stop man. Do you have a clue what a retail store is or does? They don't participate in the products creation or development, they sell it and take a cut. Get your naive head out of your naive ass.

it's not a store, it's a cult. When people start telling me that walmart is the only store that's allowed to exist, we have a pretty big fucking problem. I'm the one who's called steam "just a store" many times in the past, but that always gets jumped on by people saying how it's so much more, how it's a community, etc. etc. that you can't call it "just a store".

The point is why would you want to buy something for the same price when you know that %30 of your money is going to do to a company that did NOTHING to develop/build/fund the game????? In fact you're giving it to a GAMING company, who's the largest GAMING company in the PC market, that doesn't make/fund GAMES? You don't see a problem? care to answer that? Tell me the defense for this ridiculous argument, and I'll eat my hat. and "convenience" isn't a valid option, because 1) it's just double-clicking a different icon, and 2) no other industry in the history of our species works like this. No one's ever said: "why are there all these restaurants? I just want all of the food under one mega-corporation name, called FOOD CORP, it's more convenient." You vote with your dollars, if you're so in love with corporate monopoly to give %30 of your money to people who don't build games over the studio that actually made/funded the FUCKING GAME YOU'RE CURRENTLY BUYING, then you're a piece of shit.

Steam is nothing more than a digital pimp. They do nothing but profit off of other people's hard work. If you're going to pay for a blowjob, wouldn't you rather the girl gets the $50? instead of VOLUNTEERING to pay her shady ass pimp %30 for basically intimidating everyone that they're indispensable? Steam FOUGHT for the right to self-publish their own games, and now you cunts bitch about any other company who wants the same fucking right. It's disgusting. Steam has become the global megacorp they were fighting against. And no one sees the irony.

Not to mention with other services, they actually have a support department. For the oldest, and the biggest service to have a 2 week turnaround time to send off boilerplate emails, and lock your entire account incase of a chargeback on a defective product is fucking bullllshiiittttttt. But you'd rather give them 30 fucking percent for this "privilege".

Fuck off.

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Feb 8, 2016, 19:11 Slick

the Tomb Raider extra graphics is very meh.

those Division videos though, JESUS CHRIST.

At least that explains all of the invisible people shooting me, I guess alot of them were in walls. The IP sharing is pretty scary, and no shit there was no regions in the beta, the hit regs were awful. Also says nothing about the client handling all sorts of character data. If i remember correctly, the only things the serer handled was HP and $. Everything else was up for grabs.

It boggles the mind how that can be client-side, but they won't want you modding the game to use techniques and shaders etc. that are already baked into the engine... ugh...

$33 EURO on cdkeys.com... that's alot of CAD...

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Feb 8, 2016, 15:24 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 15:05:
Anyone complaining about the graphics on the PC should watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKtjDDsO6Y4

you'll probably still complain but maybe a little bit less.

The smoking car in the first shot is what i'm talking about, compare that this THIS

They had the nice edgeless transparency steam/fog/smoke effect done wight in the trailer, compared with the smoking car in your video, which is opaque, and gross. Not to mention the taillight of the car in the E3 trailer being properly rendered through the steam, that's the stuff I want, that's what very few games have.

I know I'm splitting hairs, I mean vanilla Watch Dogs looked amazing too, but when all the original detail was added back through modding it was just out of this world. Put GTA V to fucking shaaaaaame.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: ‘The Division’ PC Version ‘Kept In Check’ With Consoles, Would Be ‘Unfair’ Per Developer. Feb 8, 2016, 15:19 Slick

Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 14:48:
Slick wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 12:58:
I wish there was a petition or something, some organized outrage over this so that we could get them to add in the E3 graphics as an add-on in a patch. It's fucking stupid. the console versions look great for a console game, why can't the PC version look good for a PC game? well it does look good, but it could be better.

And you can't start a petition why? Better still, vote with your consumer dollars and don't reward them for this bad behavior. Otherwise you're giving them your approval.

Because I'm fucking nobody. I'm some random complaining on an obscure message board in a dimly-lit corner of the internet. We need an article on Kotaku or something with a clearly outlined plan of action, and direct links to a petition if we want a successful petition.

And again, I vote with my dollars if I find that the asking price delivers value to me. I'm already "happy" with the graphics, I'm more concerned about gameplay. I didn't pre-order because I want to see what the hacking situation is post-launch. It was out of control in the beta.

Graphics aren't everything obviously, I'm more disappointed than enraged. We've seen what this engine can do. The_Worse's mod for watch dogs is incredible, restores all the fidelity of the E3 demo, that's what I want for The Div. It's not a make or break thing, it's just that it was soooo damn beautiful.

Mostly the volumetric lighting, the reflections, the tesselation, and the volumetric "fog" effects. The first 60 seconds of the first E3 trailer screams volumes of what's possible. Even if I'd get 10 FPS with these settings, if I know that it's possible then I'm much more likely to buy it, because I know that I'll be able to upgrade later on and unlock these effects. I miss having games like crysis that you could "grow into". That you could play again in a couple years time after a hardware upgrade and so HOLY SHIT, so THIS is what the game looks like. I don't want to be able to run everything on ultra on day 1. I'm fine with that.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: ‘The Division’ PC Version ‘Kept In Check’ With Consoles, Would Be ‘Unfair’ Per Developer. Feb 8, 2016, 12:58 Slick

yuastnav wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 11:20:
So uh what is the logic exactly behind that. Let's say the PC version would be graphically superior, as it should be, to the console version and people would know about it. Would that make people, who play on the console, less likely to buy this game? Because that is the only reason that's not absolutely asinine to downgrade the PC version.

And if it was a good game people would buy it regardless, either on consoles or on the PC so Ubisoft would keep the same amount of sales.

I just don't get this.

Fully agree.

However, the game still looks VERY good on the PC, infact it's pretty punishing on my GPU already. I get about half the frames as I do on say the endor maps of SW:Battlefront. I hope that drivers will help this more on launch.

Could it look better? absolutely. Is it bullshit that they downgraded just like they did with Watch_Dogs? fuck yeah it is. But remember, the fidelity of the original demo of Watch_Dogs at E3 was restored by modders post-launch. They left all of that code in the game. So we've already seen what the engine can do, and hopefully, just like their last new IP, they left all that code in the game too.

They did say that they wouldn't allow modding because it's a strictly online game, but I'm hoping that people can find a way to bypass that... although once you fuck with graphical mods in an MP game, you pretty much invite people to "mod" all the walls to be %90 invisible... that game had enough of a problem with hackers already...

I wish there was a petition or something, some organized outrage over this so that we could get them to add in the E3 graphics as an add-on in a patch. It's fucking stupid. the console versions look great for a console game, why can't the PC version look good for a PC game? well it does look good, but it could be better.

33. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 7, 2016, 20:04 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 6, 2016, 10:29:
Stamping those CD's wasn't free and that distribution network was a majority of what publishers were "funding".

Jerykk wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 06:09:
For digital distribution, 30% is standard. Really baffled as to why you think that Valve is somehow a publisher for the thousands of games available on Steam.

So stamping CDs and distributing is a big part of what a publisher does. But when a company does the exact same thing digitally, they're not publishing?

How are you defending a company who doesn't give a penny of their billions of revenue to actually fund the games they sell? They don't even make games themselves for fucks sake! You don't think it's strange that the biggest company in PC gaming doesn't MAKE GAMES, or even give a red cent to fun other devs MAKE GAMES? You think that that's just normal? They're a company without a product. They're venture capitalists. Sure, if you're a small studio, it's worth it to give %30 of GROSS to them, but if you're Ubisoft or EA, what the fuck are you thinking that they should hand over a HUGE chunk of the profits to their fucking COMPETITION? because you're too lazy to click on a different icon on your computer?

And I really have no clue why you'd think that hardware manufacturers all jumped the gun, when Valve had "nothing to do with it". You honestly think that Valve wasn't shopping this around the tech sector, getting partners, telling them to make them some machines to sell?

No, it's much more likely that Alienware just decided on their own to start making THESE without Valve giving them the "greenlight". I'm sure Valve was like: "Hey these are all going to be outdated hardware by the time our shit is ready, you know that right?" and Alienware was like: "DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

You're living in a fantasy fanboi delirium.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed
12. Re: Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed Feb 7, 2016, 19:36 Slick

The need to do what their former sister-studio Treyarch brough to the Cod franchise with World at War: Co-op Campaign with arcade-like scoring (combo multipliers, bonus for headshots), and the cheats cards that you could find around the levels which would unlock things like "shoot your teammates to revive them", "only headshots" and "headshots explode enemies" etc.

TONS of fun. would be crazy with a team, 2 in mechs, 2 pilots wallrunning alongside them down a corridor, I can see that being a good romp.

the MP was fine, needs better AI, and more of it. A game like this could pull off an FPS-MOBA gamemode with it's AI implementation, wouldn't even be that hard to do. MOBA-lite with titanfall's dynamics, please!

30. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 19:02 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 10:31:
stuff

First, hardware manufacturers didn't "jump the gun" racing to get Steamboxes out into the wild. You make it sounds like they were operating completely independently of valve, like it's the wild west. As if Valve had no say in corralling these companies to make hardware for them with an explicit launch date. Then Valve pushed it back so there was a lot of pissed off hardware partners with 2013-era hardware that was made for a launch of this produce which never happened. yea, i'd call that a debacle.

Alright, Valve's steamworks stuff isn't nothing. It's a pretty polished post-launch framework for keeping people connected. BUT. This is NOT equal to fucking bankrolling development. That's traditionally the role of the publisher. But In Valve land, they don't even look at a studio till they have a complete finished product that's ready to sell (well, ready to sell at least), and they have nothing to do with them until then.

They're the venture capitalists ready to swoop in on small developers who have put their heart and soul into something with no help from anybody, telling them "YOU NEED US", and then taking a huge chunk of the profit. %30 of gross is crazy for putting nothing into the game. Look into publisher contracts with other publishers, they usually have the clause "and then we give you $7,500,000 upfront to build the game".

Apples and Oranges.

26. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 10:27 Slick

Rhialto wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 10:18:
nin wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:54:
Rhialto wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:48:
Anyone else frustrated it won't be on Steam?
Nothing new there...
First was and is still on Steam so...

If they want better sales they should, and they know this! But why they think limiting distribution to their platform is better is a mystery. Every president will tell you that where there is money you should go... or something like that.

Swing and a miss.

It's so weird that BurgerKing doesn't let McDonalds sell the Whopper in McDonalds stores. I mean, it's not like they have the right to sell their own product in their own store, that's segmenting the market, and hurts consumers. And shit, I bet they'd much prefer to handover %30 (gross, not profit) to their competitor rather than make more money themselves, pay their employees better etc, pump R&D money into inventing the sextuple-decker burger...

Riiight, they're not friends, they're direct competitors.

You know that competition is a good thing right? It's the cornerstone of a healthy capitalist system. In fact when there's no competition, it's not just frowned upon, monopoly is a federal crime.

24. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 09:56 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 02:33:
So you're argument is that it would be a horrible consumer experience if there was a lack of choice as to where you buy games unless that one place is Steam? Valve freaked out about MS creating their built in app store under the fear that it would divert people away from Steam.

Thank you!

"We're gamers, fuck you corporations for giving us lack of choice! Oh me? I just want one company to rule them all so we have no choice."

Valve shit the bed when the ominous impending wrath of Windows 8's integrated store was announced. This brought to you by the fine people who made the "Games for Windows" marketplace such a roaring success.

Think about how much money Gabe has sunk into the SteamBox debacle, an overreaction of biblical proportions. How dare developers self-publish and not tithe %30 of GROSS to the Church of "we don't make games anymore" Valve? And people are still somehow crusading for this noble multi-billion dollar would-be monopoly.

And people call ME a shill...

And remember folks, Steam was born through a 4-year protracted lawsuit against Valve's then-publisher Vivendi for the RIGHT to self-publish, and not give a 3rd party a huge chunk of the earnings. But let me not be too harsh on the 3rd-world raping Vivendi corp, at least when they act as a publisher for a studio, they fucking BANKROLL the project! Valve contributes exactly NOTHING to the 100,000 games that they take a %30 cut from. And dingbat consumers who think that this is "choice" let them get away with it. Oh well, I hope all your dollars going to invent the linux home theatre PC was worth it.

23. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 09:42 Slick

NamecaF wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 23:35:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 23:19:
Rhialto wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:48:
Anyone else frustrated it won't be on Steam?

No, get over it. There's nothing wrong with companies wanting to do their own digital delivery systems and not profit share with Valve.

Well, I'd argue there is an issue with fragmenting the market and with every man and his dog making their own clients with "exclusives" where does it stop?

Companies just dont learn from history, do they? Whether it's PC and Mac. Beta and VHS. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. There's always going to be a loser and the people that suffer the most are the poor saps that chose the wrong side.

I really think publishers and developers shouldn't be creating these digital services. There should instead be an independent third party that creates one and make it standard.

Personally I'd prefer if these clients were all optional and not tied in with DRM or bullshit exclusives. But the corporations are too greedy to give customers freedom of choice and you mooks are happy to go along with it, so I guess I'm shit out of luck.

Wow.

couple things off the top of my head...

Look how "segmented" all of the different ACTUAL stores there are in the world. You know, those tens of thousands of different companies you actually have to pick your ass out of your seat and physically GO TO? How much of your life is ruined by having to not even mouse-click a few more times, but mouse-click the SAME number of times just on a different icon. Is the utter rape of 200MB of space on your 4TB harddrive making you feel like this is the end times?

Having more than 1 company in an industry is first, what makes it an industry. And second, this has been completely normal "business-as-usual" (pardon the pun) in every single other facet of our life for literally thousands of years. McDonalds V. BurgerKing isn't a format war. And no we wouldn't be better with just one centralized megacorp who controls everything.

I don't know weather to call you a crazy communist, or a crazy capitalist, or what. I think I'll just call you Hitler and call it a day.

"But the corporations are too greedy to give customers freedom of choice"-Hitler

But the solution is just one megastore that sells everything. Irony abounds.

21. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 07:00 Slick

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:41:
The future will be considerably more dystopian thanks to corps like EA. This shiny happy future will never come to pass.

Oh yeah, I mean we all know it.

It's not going to be the religious fundamentalists, the runaway military industrial complex, the corrupt politicians, the 3rd world warlords, North Korea, the World Bank, climate change or the deadly resistant superbugs...

The end of the world will be brought about by a group of artists that make games.

IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN.

News Comments > Overwatch Closed Beta Returns Next Week
3. Re: Overwatch Closed Beta Returns Next Week Feb 4, 2016, 06:23 Slick

it's better than TF2, but that isn't saying much.

fun for a few hours then gets stale. needs a real MOBA mode, without it it's just small-scale arena stuff with a couple objectives.

Fuck me if the biggest companies in gaming can't come up with one original idea. Total ripoff of TF2, which wasn't even an original creation by Valve...

News Comments > LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Announced
8. Re: LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Announced Feb 2, 2016, 17:45 Slick

Episode VII was "terrible"?

so edgy

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Ant Simulator saga Feb 2, 2016, 17:04 Slick

no one else thinks this sounds off?

"we did everything, all we asked Eric to do was produce a playable demo, and he didn't do it. it's all his fault"

sounds like bullllshiiiiiat

It's not worth crucifying them for spending company money on a few dinners, if they were excessive it's bad, but whatever, if they had everything else in place, and the game was coming together, I'd have some company dinners with the staff... keeping your staff happy isn't a fruitless expense.

1488 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo