Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 846 (Graduate)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed
59. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 07:04 Slick

NKD wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 05:18:
Slick wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 05:13:
last thing:

all this VR/AR shit is great, but it really needs developers to make things happen. I own a DK2 and there isn't much to do with it IMO, demos sure, but nothing that's just sucked me in, like i know it's capable of doing.

and that when it comes down to the install base. you want devs hungry to develop for a platform? give them numbers.

developers for the DK2 have an install base of 100,000. over several years. on the other hand the new iPhone sold 110,000,000 units in it's first few months. Mobile is the future. if anything will bring development to VR/AR, it's mobile. sad but true.

<--- that guy

Eh I dunno. Mobile and VR are pretty opposite ends of the spectrum. You're pretty immobile for VR, by necessity. You're supposed to be immersed in a virtual world, not the real one. I see AR and VR diverging greatly in that way. What you want from the technology for each application is very different. AR is very much about pattern recognition and unobtrusiveness, where VR is obviously about complete immersion. Something you're not going to find a lot of call for in the multitasking heavy mobile user base.

AR to me is VR that also tracks your place in a physical space, it's one more dimension to a seated VR experience. I don't assume that "AR" means google glass, where I only see a HUD of my reality.

I'm talking about full 3D immersion, just taking cue from your actual surroundings to generate virtual geometry. ie. Turn a lovely country road through the forest into a floating bridge a mile above a planet of lava. Turn your ghetto neighborhood with graffiti into a rural countryside, or into a TRON world. Shit make your girlfriend have bigger tits, also dragon wings.

i still mean total immersion, but the cameras on the device are going to be seeing for you. your reality will be replaced with whatever you want. To me that's AR, even though people will still use that term for HUD style implementations.

Cordless VR that doesn't need a webcam for positional data, that scans it's environment to generate geometry, that shit's the future.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 06:56 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 01:27:
Update: Samsung's Galaxy S6 will use a 1440P screen, specifically with VR in mind. I suspect this will be the screen we see in the OR.

THIS is good news. 1440p seems to be a reasonable line-in-the-sand as a minimum for text legibility. I upsample my DK2 to 1440p in E:D and it makes the UI usable, barely. 1080p native is unusable for the font sizes used IMO.

However, this would still pale in comparison with 2x 1080 screens. a 16:9 screen splits to an 8:9 ratio square for each eye. however if you close one eye you can tell that your eye's natural monocular vision is very "portrait" by nature. 2x 16:9 screens would seem to make that "wrap around" effect much more pronounced.

57. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 06:51 Slick

Esoteric wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 06:35:
Or Valve/Steam with its 125 million user base?

yeah, 5 million average daily users isn't bad. And trust me , I hate fucking phones, but I understand that in this world, people are retarded for their phones. Seriously.The daily user base of cellphones would be counted closer to a billion, rather than millions.

It's an undeniable reality that the mobile market is the most lucrative software platform right now. It's a veritable fertility garden, garden of eden, pleasure dome for developers who can tame it.

56. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 06:46 Slick

Julio wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 05:40:
Wraith wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 03:50:
At least that wasn't financed by fucking people over and jumping in bed with the cancer of the internet.

Wraith has this one right. I'm sure we'll see adware/spyware somehow integrated into the Oculus Rift. Time will tell.

nothing about Wraith is "right". but i suppose if anyone here would agree with him, it's you. You see you've made an impression on me. When i come across a post by someone named "Julio", I've come to expect a certain level of quality.

Wraith on the other hand, I couldn't recall. Until i looked at his recent post history and found this memorable ditty:

-----
Re: John Romero Plays DOOM; Spills Beans Jan 21, 2015, 14:02 Wraith

Fuck, is this no-talent bozo STILL riding John Carmack's coat-tails?

Give it up John. Doom was good because of Carmack's engine. Quake was good because of Carmack's engine. You're a fucking level designer for fuck's sake.

This should be called "John Romero plays DOOM, bores onlookers."
-----

With this second incident, Wraith now has a pattern to his madness that I can follow, i'll surely remember his name. So look out Julio, Wraith is gunning for your spot. Wraith, we all expect big things from you.

52. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 05:13 Slick

last thing:

all this VR/AR shit is great, but it really needs developers to make things happen. I own a DK2 and there isn't much to do with it IMO, demos sure, but nothing that's just sucked me in, like i know it's capable of doing.

and that's when it comes down to the install base. you want devs hungry to develop for a platform? give them numbers.

developers for the DK2 have an install base of 100,000. over several years. on the other hand the new iPhone sold 110,000,000 units in it's first few months. Mobile is the future. if anything will bring development to VR/AR, it's mobile. sad but true.

<--- that guy

50. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 05:07 Slick

ANYWAYS

It's interesting that Valve has implemented what I've been saying for a while now, and even what Palmer Luckey and and his minions at Oculus have been hinting at...

which is putting the camera on the HMD, not have it point at the HMD from a webcam. This is the heart of true VR, taking cues from AR. the microsoft hologram thing is the same idea, it's using a couple kinekt cameras, but anyone should be able to mimic it.

what i'm waiting for is when cellphones have just one camera but does the equivalent of laser scanning, to make 3D geometrical sense of whatever's infront of it. Then you have everything you need to do true wireless mobile AR. think the AR games in watch_dogs. totally plausible. collect coins on your favorite jogging path... etc

48. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 05:00 Slick

Wraith wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 03:50:
Christ, I loathe having to explain elementary business to morons, but here goes.

They have a business class at your elementary school?

Seriously though, you win the "angry guy on internet" award for this thread. In such a short time in this thread you've proven yourself to be a fuckwit of legendary proportions, and considering some of your competition in the last year on BN <3, that's really saying something. kudos.

Every sentence you write is dumber than the last. Every time I come up with a great comeback, I read your next line, have a mild brain aneurysm, and forget what i'm doing.

I think your post just gave me cancer, is what i'm trying to say.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 2, 2015, 03:57 Slick

that was the dumbest newspiece i've ever watched. but it is reuters, so whatever.

the black guy literally just rehashed each sides talking points without any critical thinking.

News Comments > Ascent Early Access Ascent
9. Re: Ascent Early Access Ascent Mar 1, 2015, 00:31 Slick

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 23:05:
I'm not saying it's a bad game but it definitely looks like it missed the boat by 15 years so for the developer to proclaim 'state of the art' or 'high quality' anything is confusing when watching the trailer.

oh i get it, it's a hipster game. they're using "state of the art" ironically. you just don't get it cause you're not as hip as I am *eyeroll*. Now back to my latte and my Norah Jones CD.

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
160. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 28, 2015, 22:04 Slick

Descender:

I never said that ONLY republicans are corrupt. "Corrupt" implies that they're false to what they're assuming to be. which isn't true, they're %100 genuinely exactly what they're assuming to be. They don't even mince words about it, their PUBLIC policies are very anti-american, pro-corporation. It's practically their entire platform.

To be a "corrupt" republican would mean that you're secretly liberal, because they're openly siding with special interests over the average american on pretty much EVERY POLICY! they're not exactly hiding in the shadows, this isn't a stealth corps takedown of our freedoms, they're doing it in plain sight.

I was making the point that ALMOST ALL republicans tow the party line and side with mega corporations over the common populace nearly EVERY TIME. This isn't opinion, this is just a matter of history. Not only is it archived, but is being written anew every day. The only plausible scenario which i can drum up for an otherwise intelligent person believe that democrats and republicans are exactly the same, is if:

A) you haven't been paying attention, at all, probably out of a disgust for politics. probably during the... Bush years i'll wager? or:

B) you get all of your information from Fox news, and believe all the dirty lies told by the right arm of the republican party, it's media empire. Everyday there's a whole multi-billion dollar industry that churns out fake controversies, distorts the truth to further their agenda, flat out lies, and all to further their narrative that "liberals" are just about the worst anti-american unpatriotic pricks walking the earth, while the republicans are the only ones who truly care for the common man. meanwhile all of their policies do nothing but FUCK the little man, reward cronyism, and hand the keys of the country over to the corporations.

if you think that this isn't the case, I'd suggest re-evaluating your media inputs where you acquire information from, because you're living in a fantasy world.

but I did misquote you, and for that I apologize. turns out that you were quoting someone who's words you %100 agree with, so my point still stands.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2015, 22:51.

155. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 28, 2015, 03:42 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 01:40:
Pretty sure I never said anything about "not voting". You've gone off the deep end on this one.

Arguing the semantics of "who takes more money" is just a waste of time.

I never accused you of saying that. what you DID say is "It doesn't matter if there is a (R) or a (D) before your politician's name, they are ALL corporate shills."

Then if you read my language carefully, you'd see that i said "anyone who INSINUATES that there's no point in voting... etc etc"

so how do you think that saying "It doesn't matter if there is a (R) or a (D) before your politician's name, they are ALL corporate shills." is NOT insinuation that all politicians are shit, one side is no better than the other, therefore why even pick a side?

is that 2 steps of logic a bridge too far for you? or have i gone "too deep" for you to comprehend?

153. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 27, 2015, 22:58 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 22:35:
Slick wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 21:42:
descender wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 18:15:
It doesn't matter if there is a (R) or a (D) before your politician's name, they are ALL corporate shills.

Truth... but at least the Dems have the decency to lie about it and hide it.

no it's not true. and people who parrot this garbage need to get educated instead of just squawking whatever the edgy comment of the day is.

by and large democrats are very very different from republicans. really. it's not "ooh everyone's corrupt so WHO CARES BLAH"

that thinking just makes people pay even LESS attention to what's really going on. you wonder why there's such a low voter turnout in the USA? because you fucking hipsters are all too cool for politics. politics has been made uncool so many times that people have convinced themselves that any choice they have is just an illusion, as both parties are the SAME THING.

pathetic.

you have a vote in the USA, the country whos policies extend to affect EVERY OTHER COUNTRY ON EARTH. you have this SACRED right. and you just trivialize it as: "it's john jackson, or jack johnson, they're the same on both sides! DUUURP!"

It's complex. Both Repubs and Dems rely on corporate contributions more and more each year, esp after Citizens United. That influences their voting. And empirically that money influences policy:
"The central point that emerges from our research is that economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on U.S. government policy," they write, "while mass-based interest groups and average citizens have little or no independent influence."

While I agree that the false equivalencies of "both sides do it" is wrong, it absolutely prevents anything beyond nibbling around the edges. The parties are different, and care about different things, but can't effect change unless it lines up with what business wants. Some examples:

- 95% of Americans approve background checks before making a gun purchase. LOEs approve overwhelmingly. Yet we can't get that law passed because gun businesses oppose it.
- The only way the ACA got passed was by getting the support of the insurance industry and wall street by adding millions to the rolls of private insurance.
- The reason this law went against the ISPs is due to opposition by massive corporations: Microsoft, Google, Apple, Yahoo, Amazon, Netflix, etc. Coincidentally, it helped the common people too, but make no mistake this was a battle of Goliaths, and we were just ants.

I agree that money has tainted politics, and that there's only so much you're going to change "the system" by voting the right guy into office. but people use that as an excuse to not prevent the WRONG guy from getting into office.

What i'm against is using this as a blanket statement against voting. just the idea that "there's nothing you can do" etc. etc. is something that those with power WANT to keep alive. the more people believe they can't change anything, the less voter turnout there is, the easier power is consolidated with the few.

that's the ultimate irony, saying stuff like: all we can do is nibble around the edges... people read that and get LESS interested in giving a fuck, or using their vote for any purpose. it's the ultimate excuse. well my vote doesn't do shit, so who cares?

and it undermines the good work people ARE doing to protect citizens and try and move this country forward. just know that every time someone insinuates that voting is pointless, that a corporate fatcat just got a pay bonus.

148. removed Feb 27, 2015, 21:43 Slick

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 28, 2015, 09:07.

147. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 27, 2015, 21:42 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 18:15:
It doesn't matter if there is a (R) or a (D) before your politician's name, they are ALL corporate shills.

Truth... but at least the Dems have the decency to lie about it and hide it.

no it's not true. and people who parrot this garbage need to get educated instead of just squawking whatever the edgy comment of the day is.

by and large democrats are very very different from republicans. really. it's not "ooh everyone's corrupt so WHO CARES BLAH"

that thinking just makes people pay even LESS attention to what's really going on. you wonder why there's such a low voter turnout in the USA? because you fucking hipsters are all too cool for politics. politics has been made uncool so many times that people have convinced themselves that any choice they have is just an illusion, as both parties are the SAME THING.

pathetic.

you have a vote in the USA, the country whos policies extend to affect EVERY OTHER COUNTRY ON EARTH. you have this SACRED right. and you just trivialize it as: "it's john jackson, or jack johnson, they're the same on both sides! DUUURP!"

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
3. Re: Evening Screenshots Feb 27, 2015, 20:40 Slick

i recommend to anyone waiting for this: go play Watch_Dogs after taking a detour past nexusmods.

even a trivially modded watchdogs looks far better than any of these screenshots. If you want just the basics (what i'm running, then just follow this)

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 12:51 Slick

I'd still like to imagine a world where I can agree with some of what she says, and find the rest of what she says abhorrent and ignorant.

Yes, It's healthy to have strong women in different roles in all media, but that doesn't mean you can chastise someone for choosing to have a male hero, and a female damsel in distress. It's art, and I defend the artist's right to make whatever the fuck they want. don't like it? don't buy it. People who boycott, or worse, try and get others to boycott art because you don't agree with it is just about the lamest thing someone can do. People are free to make up their own minds on how they want to part with their money, just as the artists who make it are free to make whatever the fuck they want.

News Comments > Resident Evil 2 Co-op Apology
5. Re: Resident Evil 2 Co-op Apology Feb 27, 2015, 12:19 Slick

I doubt anyone working at that studio even looked at the box for the PC edition to catch that mistake. see what i did there? cause it's been so long since PC games shipped in boxes right? Because they're so out of touch? hello? is this thing on?  

132. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 27, 2015, 12:17 Slick

yeah, i'd like to emphasize the direct link that Republicans share with big businiess' interests. People who 'over simplify' saying that all politicians are crooks, and they're all bought out, and that they're all just corporate america's slaves... well they're doing a lot of damage to the many Democrats (and a few republicans) who are working to help the people, and not just bail out special interests.

I'm all for not over-simplifying, so let's please stop lumping these two very disparate groups of people together. Dems and the GOP are VERY different, if we're purporting to all be commenting on the same shared reality here, we should at least be able to agree on that.

News Comments > On PC Battlefield Hardline
10. Re: On PC Battlefield Hardline Feb 27, 2015, 05:31 Slick

Bishi wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 05:03:
Slick wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 04:12:
cool, thanks for the update.

I have a feeling that, just like everything in the BF verse nowadays, it'll be for sale after the fact. Taking the class and vehicle unlock DLC as a precedent.

oh and $37.50 is the cheapest that i've found for the base game. not a bad price, and if that was the MSRP then i bet alot more people would be looking at it

Yeah I think it'll be on sale pretty soon. Regardless of whether or not you like the game, I do think it is relatively light on content and features compared to the previous BF games. I'm sure its more of a stop-gap until Battlefront comes out than anything. I'd be surprised if they still expect it to be going strong past the end of the year.

i was HOPING that this would go strong way past the end of the year, as it may just be a one-off, non re-occuring franchise. IMO the IPs that only get one title can attract a longer running fanbase, as they aren't segmented by having to buy the new title in the series every year. It could have been good for competition, except for them screwing the pooch with deluxe weapons... :/

And I do think that the content is definitely there. Nobody said that BF4 has less new content than BF3, and those games were practically identical in many ways. All you're missing in Hardline is 15 gamemodes nobody plays. try getting an obliteration mode on the 3rd expansion pack going in BF4, tough shit, as it only existed for 10 minutes after it launched. 7 fun gamemodes is more than enough for me.

And for what it's worth, i have higher hopes for the SP in hardline than the SP was in BF4.

118. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 27, 2015, 04:33 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 04:19:
Slick wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 04:07:
I mean, once you've done Iraq=Al Quaida, and Barack Obama is a muslim terrorist, the birther movement... is "government had nothing to do with the internet" really a bridge too far? i mean, these people are clinically retarded. they need electro shock therapy. they will believe anything, and will fiercely defend big corporation's profits over their own well-being till their last breath.

how do you even start? because i can promise you, that NO ONE in here posting that drivel has been swayed by any bit of truth that has been laid out for them. if anything they've become more entrenched. infact everytime you tell them that "this is a WIN for them" they just shake their heads, understanding too well how deluded we must be, to think that government regulation could EVER do any good. because we live in a world of black and white. and GOVERNMENT = BAD.

And those are the people I named 50-60 posts back. One sucks gov't money for a living even and is still as staunch as one can ever be. I'm of the belief he loves war and it had the controls, it would be WW2 all over again and he doesn't see it. Then he quotes Jesus and the like. It is maddening.

It is maddening. sometimes you feel like you're the only sane person left alive, that everyone has lost their fucking minds. and for the record, this is exactly how I feel when people start saying the sky is falling because videogames bla bla bla. oh this game got pushed back, this studio hates me because they have a DLC, oh we should all vote EA the worst company in america because simcity had launch issues.

There is real shit in the world that deserves this amount of vitriol, but applying this same level of pushback to freaking game developers? the nerds who code the games we play? it's just really really insulting to both the game devs, and the actual evil fucks who are ruining the world. Monsanto is ruining the world, EA just makes/sells videogames. that's literally all they do.

Imagine all the truly evil fuckers on this planet, and you're all belittling their efforts by demonizing videogame developers more! I feel bad for the people who are ruining this world, because Battlefield is more of a target to the plebeians of this realm than they are!

ugh... i'll stop before i derail the whole thread.

846 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo