Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 1478 (Pro)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups
33. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 7, 2016, 20:04 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 6, 2016, 10:29:
Stamping those CD's wasn't free and that distribution network was a majority of what publishers were "funding".

Jerykk wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 06:09:
For digital distribution, 30% is standard. Really baffled as to why you think that Valve is somehow a publisher for the thousands of games available on Steam.

So stamping CDs and distributing is a big part of what a publisher does. But when a company does the exact same thing digitally, they're not publishing?

How are you defending a company who doesn't give a penny of their billions of revenue to actually fund the games they sell? They don't even make games themselves for fucks sake! You don't think it's strange that the biggest company in PC gaming doesn't MAKE GAMES, or even give a red cent to fun other devs MAKE GAMES? You think that that's just normal? They're a company without a product. They're venture capitalists. Sure, if you're a small studio, it's worth it to give %30 of GROSS to them, but if you're Ubisoft or EA, what the fuck are you thinking that they should hand over a HUGE chunk of the profits to their fucking COMPETITION? because you're too lazy to click on a different icon on your computer?

And I really have no clue why you'd think that hardware manufacturers all jumped the gun, when Valve had "nothing to do with it". You honestly think that Valve wasn't shopping this around the tech sector, getting partners, telling them to make them some machines to sell?

No, it's much more likely that Alienware just decided on their own to start making THESE without Valve giving them the "greenlight". I'm sure Valve was like: "Hey these are all going to be outdated hardware by the time our shit is ready, you know that right?" and Alienware was like: "DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

You're living in a fantasy fanboi delirium.

This thread was pretty boring till Slick got here. -Drayth
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed
12. Re: Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed Feb 7, 2016, 19:36 Slick

The need to do what their former sister-studio Treyarch brough to the Cod franchise with World at War: Co-op Campaign with arcade-like scoring (combo multipliers, bonus for headshots), and the cheats cards that you could find around the levels which would unlock things like "shoot your teammates to revive them", "only headshots" and "headshots explode enemies" etc.

TONS of fun. would be crazy with a team, 2 in mechs, 2 pilots wallrunning alongside them down a corridor, I can see that being a good romp.

the MP was fine, needs better AI, and more of it. A game like this could pull off an FPS-MOBA gamemode with it's AI implementation, wouldn't even be that hard to do. MOBA-lite with titanfall's dynamics, please!

30. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 19:02 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 10:31:
stuff

First, hardware manufacturers didn't "jump the gun" racing to get Steamboxes out into the wild. You make it sounds like they were operating completely independently of valve, like it's the wild west. As if Valve had no say in corralling these companies to make hardware for them with an explicit launch date. Then Valve pushed it back so there was a lot of pissed off hardware partners with 2013-era hardware that was made for a launch of this produce which never happened. yea, i'd call that a debacle.

Alright, Valve's steamworks stuff isn't nothing. It's a pretty polished post-launch framework for keeping people connected. BUT. This is NOT equal to fucking bankrolling development. That's traditionally the role of the publisher. But In Valve land, they don't even look at a studio till they have a complete finished product that's ready to sell (well, ready to sell at least), and they have nothing to do with them until then.

They're the venture capitalists ready to swoop in on small developers who have put their heart and soul into something with no help from anybody, telling them "YOU NEED US", and then taking a huge chunk of the profit. %30 of gross is crazy for putting nothing into the game. Look into publisher contracts with other publishers, they usually have the clause "and then we give you $7,500,000 upfront to build the game".

Apples and Oranges.

26. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 10:27 Slick

Rhialto wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 10:18:
nin wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:54:
Rhialto wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:48:
Anyone else frustrated it won't be on Steam?
Nothing new there...
First was and is still on Steam so...

If they want better sales they should, and they know this! But why they think limiting distribution to their platform is better is a mystery. Every president will tell you that where there is money you should go... or something like that.

Swing and a miss.

It's so weird that BurgerKing doesn't let McDonalds sell the Whopper in McDonalds stores. I mean, it's not like they have the right to sell their own product in their own store, that's segmenting the market, and hurts consumers. And shit, I bet they'd much prefer to handover %30 (gross, not profit) to their competitor rather than make more money themselves, pay their employees better etc, pump R&D money into inventing the sextuple-decker burger...

Riiight, they're not friends, they're direct competitors.

You know that competition is a good thing right? It's the cornerstone of a healthy capitalist system. In fact when there's no competition, it's not just frowned upon, monopoly is a federal crime.

24. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 09:56 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 02:33:
So you're argument is that it would be a horrible consumer experience if there was a lack of choice as to where you buy games unless that one place is Steam? Valve freaked out about MS creating their built in app store under the fear that it would divert people away from Steam.

Thank you!

"We're gamers, fuck you corporations for giving us lack of choice! Oh me? I just want one company to rule them all so we have no choice."

Valve shit the bed when the ominous impending wrath of Windows 8's integrated store was announced. This brought to you by the fine people who made the "Games for Windows" marketplace such a roaring success.

Think about how much money Gabe has sunk into the SteamBox debacle, an overreaction of biblical proportions. How dare developers self-publish and not tithe %30 of GROSS to the Church of "we don't make games anymore" Valve? And people are still somehow crusading for this noble multi-billion dollar would-be monopoly.

And people call ME a shill...

And remember folks, Steam was born through a 4-year protracted lawsuit against Valve's then-publisher Vivendi for the RIGHT to self-publish, and not give a 3rd party a huge chunk of the earnings. But let me not be too harsh on the 3rd-world raping Vivendi corp, at least when they act as a publisher for a studio, they fucking BANKROLL the project! Valve contributes exactly NOTHING to the 100,000 games that they take a %30 cut from. And dingbat consumers who think that this is "choice" let them get away with it. Oh well, I hope all your dollars going to invent the linux home theatre PC was worth it.

23. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 09:42 Slick

NamecaF wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 23:35:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 23:19:
Rhialto wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:48:
Anyone else frustrated it won't be on Steam?

No, get over it. There's nothing wrong with companies wanting to do their own digital delivery systems and not profit share with Valve.

Well, I'd argue there is an issue with fragmenting the market and with every man and his dog making their own clients with "exclusives" where does it stop?

Companies just dont learn from history, do they? Whether it's PC and Mac. Beta and VHS. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. There's always going to be a loser and the people that suffer the most are the poor saps that chose the wrong side.

I really think publishers and developers shouldn't be creating these digital services. There should instead be an independent third party that creates one and make it standard.

Personally I'd prefer if these clients were all optional and not tied in with DRM or bullshit exclusives. But the corporations are too greedy to give customers freedom of choice and you mooks are happy to go along with it, so I guess I'm shit out of luck.

Wow.

couple things off the top of my head...

Look how "segmented" all of the different ACTUAL stores there are in the world. You know, those tens of thousands of different companies you actually have to pick your ass out of your seat and physically GO TO? How much of your life is ruined by having to not even mouse-click a few more times, but mouse-click the SAME number of times just on a different icon. Is the utter rape of 200MB of space on your 4TB harddrive making you feel like this is the end times?

Having more than 1 company in an industry is first, what makes it an industry. And second, this has been completely normal "business-as-usual" (pardon the pun) in every single other facet of our life for literally thousands of years. McDonalds V. BurgerKing isn't a format war. And no we wouldn't be better with just one centralized megacorp who controls everything.

I don't know weather to call you a crazy communist, or a crazy capitalist, or what. I think I'll just call you Hitler and call it a day.

"But the corporations are too greedy to give customers freedom of choice"-Hitler

But the solution is just one megastore that sells everything. Irony abounds.

21. Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 07:00 Slick

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:41:
The future will be considerably more dystopian thanks to corps like EA. This shiny happy future will never come to pass.

Oh yeah, I mean we all know it.

It's not going to be the religious fundamentalists, the runaway military industrial complex, the corrupt politicians, the 3rd world warlords, North Korea, the World Bank, climate change or the deadly resistant superbugs...

The end of the world will be brought about by a group of artists that make games.

IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN.

News Comments > Overwatch Closed Beta Returns Next Week
3. Re: Overwatch Closed Beta Returns Next Week Feb 4, 2016, 06:23 Slick

it's better than TF2, but that isn't saying much.

fun for a few hours then gets stale. needs a real MOBA mode, without it it's just small-scale arena stuff with a couple objectives.

Fuck me if the biggest companies in gaming can't come up with one original idea. Total ripoff of TF2, which wasn't even an original creation by Valve...

News Comments > LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Announced
8. Re: LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Announced Feb 2, 2016, 17:45 Slick

Episode VII was "terrible"?

so edgy

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Ant Simulator saga Feb 2, 2016, 17:04 Slick

no one else thinks this sounds off?

"we did everything, all we asked Eric to do was produce a playable demo, and he didn't do it. it's all his fault"

sounds like bullllshiiiiiat

It's not worth crucifying them for spending company money on a few dinners, if they were excessive it's bad, but whatever, if they had everything else in place, and the game was coming together, I'd have some company dinners with the staff... keeping your staff happy isn't a fruitless expense.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Feb 2, 2016, 01:31 Slick

ha!  

News Comments > The Division Beta Extended
15. Re: The Division Beta Extended Feb 1, 2016, 18:20 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 16:11:
I've been lucky I guess, haven't crossed paths with cheaters.

Seen multiple invisible hackers, everyone around me is like WTF WHAT IS SHOOTING ME!? as we all die one by one.

And one guy with a speedhack which somehow still affected him when he was downed. So he had a teammate stay way in the back of the fight, he'd run forward, kill a few people, I'll down him, and before i can finish him off he's fucking scooting like a crab back to his ally at like 3x the normal running speed! It was pretty funny, but goddamn, it angered me.

News Comments > Morning Previews
5. Re: Morning Previews Feb 1, 2016, 13:13 Slick

not obvious at all actually.

the last new IP from UBI was Watch Dogs, which STILL has fucking horrendus keyboard and mouse support. Modders can't get rid of the acceleration, it's hard-coded into the engine. Ubi said that they'd address it in a patch. Still hasn't happened.

From all of the generally shitty pc ports in this day and age, it's fucking refreshing to see The Div got love. They aren't calling it a port, and I agree with them, it's a PC game, which got a console port, not the other way around. There's more GFX and UI options than I've ever seen for a shooter/mmo-lite game. Not to mention it makes my GPU cry it's so demanding (a good thing for PC gamers).

News Comments > Star Citizen Becomes Two Games Next Month
57. Re: Star Citizen Becomes Two Games Next Month Feb 1, 2016, 05:04 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 16:53:
Mordhaus wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 15:53:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 14:29:
Is it me or is Star Citizen the Donald Trump of gaming?

More like the Bernie Madoff.

This site really needs a Like system, sorry but it does.

*Slick gives your comment a "Hooah"*

News Comments > The Division Beta Filling Up
10. Re: The Division Beta Filling Up Jan 30, 2016, 04:52 Slick

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 22:34:
I can see the co-op story being decently fun, but they absolutely destroyed any promise this game's multiplayer might have held. The original announcement made it look like a single huge open world with many players wandering around in it, with the potential for tense PVP engagements. Basically DayZ without the zombies.

Instead, they have completely separated the PVE and PVP components of the game, and you will never see anyone outside of your group in the story world. You have to opt in to visiting the 'Dark Zone' which is like the Peewee's Playhouse of open world PVP.

There's no risk in it at all, you go into the area with what basically amounts to a checkpoint save of all of your progress and loot you've gathered up to that point. You don't lose your gear or items when you die, there's no permadeath, and you don't even lose "real" XP. DZ has its own XP bar and levels, its own currency, and the loot you find there is only in danger of being lost if you don't manage to run away to an exit or send it off at one of several extraction points. After that, it's safe forever, just like the rest of your stuff.

No risk means there's no excitement. You have to go to the Dark Zone if you want the best gear in the game, but all it takes is a lot of friends to back you up or a lot of luck to get in and out without being ganked. Just keep grinding it enough and eventually you max out your kit, which can never be taken from you.

In other words, they completely missed the point of what makes open world survival games compelling, or else they second-guessed themselves and decided to cater to all the carebears out there who can't withstand any real challenge or consequence.

there's tons of risk in the dark zone, anytime you die you lose currency, xp, and all of your loot. if you're in rogue status when you die you lose WAY more of each.

If anything it's too risky to even engage others, as of about noon today people just kinda stopped engaging over extraction zones. if the other guy shoots you first, if you die, you lose very little, but if you kill him, you get a shit ton of xp and currency, I've gotten about 3000 from 3 quick kills, and 2 levels.

However, for the guy that shot first, if he wins he gets very little, but if he dies he loses a LOT.

basically you have to be damn sure that you can get the kill and escape to ever think it's worth the risk. and all you need to fuck that up is running into randoms while you're rogue, so you're open season to everyone on the server, and some of them you'll have to engage just to stay alive, then you advance to a higher rogue level (up to 5) where your losses become even greater if you die (lost well over a full level once). And once you hit rogue 5 (which is way too easy to do), everyone on the map has a wallhack on you. that's right, see you plainly through walls. I've died once from just random bullets somehow flying through concrete (i was in a stairwell) from outside, cause... why not.

Oh and when you're rogue 5 your timer is 5 minutes. That's 5 minutes where you can't engage ANYONE. 5 minutes on the run when the whole server has a wallhack on you. oh and if you're about to die with 30 seconds left (happened once) and are forced to engage, your timer goes back up to 5 minutes again.

no risk? have you played the game?

News Comments > The Division Season Pass Details
17. Re: The Division Season Pass Details Jan 29, 2016, 18:33 Slick

"The other two DLCs are straightforward and everyone can imagine exactly what they will get."

LOL.

You remind me of this guy I know, he's the "always knows everything" guy. You literally just have to play him the opening credits of a movie, and he already knows exactly how the whole movie will play out, what the plot points are, what the twist is, what he settings will be etc. furthermore, he'll always add something like: "it's pretty obvious" or "it doesn't take a lot of brain power to figure it out".

My friend is pretty fucking obnoxious when he does shit like that to a movie trailer, but you're literally doing it from a 1-sentence blurb on a website. oh you know exactly what it is, what it will contain, what it will look like, the AMOUNT of content it has from that sentence? from a game that isn't even released yet!? are you fucking Kreskin? Maybe you should use your abilities for good instead of troll.

I swear, so many psychics on this forum. Although I doubt their powers when all of their predictions are: "that thing no one knows about? it's going to be fucking terrible". It must be a fucking nightmare to be you. It's like dealing with the religious, they claim to know something that no one could possibly know, and hold it over others like they're above everybody. gross.

News Comments > The Division Season Pass Details
15. Re: The Division Season Pass Details Jan 29, 2016, 11:59 Slick

Kxmode wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 10:30:
Think about if Bethesda had made the compound building aspect of Fallout 4 a season pass DLC. That's pretty much my reaction to most of these season passes. I'm not against season passes if they actually provide a lot of value. For example CD Projekt Red's season pass offers two legit expansions. The DLCs are free. THAT'S the way to do season passes. If companies are going to charge almost as much for a game for the season pass then they better damn well make it worth the cost, and as I see it they are not offering anything even remotely close to what they're asking for.

1) Imagine a world where Bethesda would dare to include ridiculous DLC in their games... Horse Armor ring a bell??

2) You're conflating the difference between DLC and expansions, they're the same thing. It's all content that requires the original game. There's big content and small.

3) It's always up to the consumer to decide if the content is worth it. In this case, because no one knows what the content for The Division is, I find it hard to believe that you know something that none of us do.

You know to get out of the way when you see the hate-train roaring it's engines. "Those expansions? the ones we only heard exist today? You know, the ones that no one has any clue as to what they contain? Yeah, they all suck."

brilliant.

News Comments > No Mods for The Division; PC Specs Revealed
22. Re: No Mods for The Division; PC Specs Revealed Jan 24, 2016, 06:57 Slick

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 23, 2016, 21:05:
Typical UBIsoft, release another poorly optimized game.

I was hoping this would be a decent game, but will wait for reviews now. The graphics I have seen, just do not justify a 970 one bit nor an I7.

I just assume that there will be a way to unlock the "real" graphics that we've seen in the trailers, just like TheWorse did with his mod for Watch_Dogs. Hopefully modifying those files won't get you banned though... W_D on vanilla is a fucking eyesore, but with that mod, it unlocks all the shit that's already in the game from the E3 trailer.

21. Re: No Mods for The Division; PC Specs Revealed Jan 24, 2016, 06:45 Slick

Rigs wrote on Jan 23, 2016, 11:21:
Slick wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 23:54:
There was a post on BN the other day about mmo lag, too lazy to find it, but essentially the resources needed for FPS gameplay on an MMO scale isn't really here yet. There's lots of ways to cheat and fake though, we're getting closer.

Well, while I don't know what the original post was, I did just see this video the other day about MMOs and lag and how fights were becoming more dynamic instead of the ol' 'you hit me, I hit you, numbers pop over our heads and then one of us dies'. Plus it goes into detail about the history of lag as it pertains to online gaming and MMO's...good stuff...

MMO Combat, The FIGHT Against Lag! - Digressing and Sidequesting
The Game Theorists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR00P5x8_WQ

=-Rigs-=

yup that's the one i was talking about, i thought i saw it on BN, maybe it was elsewhere...

9. Re: No Mods for The Division; PC Specs Revealed Jan 22, 2016, 23:54 Slick

There was a post on BN the other day about mmo lag, too lazy to find it, but essentially the resources needed for FPS gameplay on an MMO scale isn't really here yet. There's lots of ways to cheat and fake though, we're getting closer.

The theme always looked like a survival game, not a planetside game. I wouldn't expect more than 10 people onscreen at a time in the open-world, I think that's to be expected. I never saw more than 6 in the open world of Destiny.

But the "huge open world" part def seems true, as they've recreated a huge chunk of Manhattan in what i think is a 1:1 scale. It looks huge, and hopefully on PC, pretty.

Also I thought that even since the first video at E3 2013 it was obviously a destiny/borderlands type game. Just with destiny's random encounters. At least in THIS game the random encounters would be interesting in the pvp zone, Destiny has no such zone, everyone's always friendly unless playing in the crucible (NeXt GeN 6v6 DeAtHmATcH!!!!!)

1478 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo