Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 317 (Amateur)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > The Sims 4 and Patch Released
7. Re: The Sims 4 and Patch Released Sep 2, 2014, 18:24 Slick

yayaya, so far only one person here has some first, err second hand experience on how the game actually plays. i don't care about reviewers who are surely paid off, and i also don't care about the peanut gallery with nothing but quips and snide remarks.

give me more actual evidence of what's good and what's bad. is there anything good?

also... simcity 2013 is probably not the most apt comparison, as they built a new engine for that game, they did a lot of cool new things, the game's scope was just smaller, but more detailed and focused. so far sims 4 i haven't seen anything new or interesting. are there infographic-like layers of data? are there tens of thousands of agents swimming through the simulation? nice colour and tilt-shift camera options? then maybe it's a poor comparison?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 00:50 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 21:40:
Slick wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 21:15:
oh my bad, i didn't realize they recently added a $325 ship/package for sale.

325 fucking dollars for a game which is nowhere near finished yet?

325 bucks and you barely have any game to play with your shiny new ship anyways.

pay2win fail.

I paid $35 or so during the kickstarter. I could see paying $100 for some goodies or something. I really don't understand anyone who pays much more than that. I guess those people are funding it for the rest of us.

$35 seems reasonable.

I should hope that the game is well past fully funded already, as it stands this is shaping up to have half the budget of a GTA game, one of the notoriously most expensive projects in the industry. At this point $325 ships are:

1) padding their wallets

2) making your $35 entry fee look like chump change, making you a second-class (third-class?) citizen.

i see it as buying a lvl 80 WoW toon before WoW has even left pre-alpha. Also instead of buying it through eBay or other grey markets, the developers themselves are the ones peddling.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 21:15 Slick

oh my bad, i didn't realize they recently added a $325 ship/package for sale.

325 fucking dollars for a game which is nowhere near finished yet?

325 bucks and you barely have any game to play with your shiny new ship anyways.

pay2win fail.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 20:28 Slick

fully agree. never seen a pre-alpha game selling $200 ships, and having them move so fast.

I could take a gamble on a $60 game, but $200 just to play "one class" before the game is anywhere near complete is just silly.

still, there's no shortage of people willing to part with their hard-earned dollars, so fuckit hope they get $200 worth of enjoyment, or realise 5 minutes in that they hate this ship, and would have rather bought a different one, oh well! only another $200 away!

E:D looks much more promising, both in gameplay and realism, all in the right places.

News Comments > Activision Taking Take-Two?
23. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Sep 1, 2014, 03:47 Slick

headshot wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 03:17:
well, since publishers began to interfere with game design, deadlines and trying to eat the largest piece of the cake.

you can see a good game in the first glimpses and previews and watch in horror as the publisher demands cuts here and there and wants as much accessibility as possible while still hyping a new and innovative game. and the games have to be sureshots.

i would like to judge a game on its own merits. but you have to turn to indie devs than to the big players if you want quality and more distance to the bean counters.

heh, imagine a black metal band signing on to virgin. that'd be rich.

you're dreaming if you think that this is selective only to videogames. you think that movies don't have a strict budget? a lengthy notes process from the producers? tons of editing and "fine-tuning" to make a marketable product? you think that books don't go through many revisions to get exactly what the publisher wants to sell?

there are all realities of the entertainment industry at large. and yes. i'm not defending these practices at all.

all i'm saying is that the only scene that gives a fuck about publishers is gamers. and being the dorito-freebasing mountaindew-huffing kids that they are, they take caring about publishers to the EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEME. until pretty soon, no one is even talking about the game anymore. somehow the publisher is more important.

judge the game on the game. if it sucks then say why it sucks (*hint EA, Activision), if it's good say it's good (*hint Valve, Blizzard). nobody cares bout the production woes of a major hollywood film, they just care about the end product. rate the art based on it's own merits FIRST. btw those comments in parentheses were jokes, i should hope that much is obvious.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 03:56.

News Comments > Activision Taking Take-Two?
20. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 23:41 Slick

KTR wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 13:49:
Take-Two is my only favorite among the big western publishers. Fuck EA, Activision, and Ubisoft.

Anyone else find it weird the way gamers obsess about publishers? any other industry even give 2 fucks about a publisher?

Yo dawg i got that next Penguin Books on lock, you know how we do! Penguin publishing in tha building y'all! Oh and FUCK Harper Collins and Random House and their punk ass shit. Everybody know that Harper Collins and Random house are some busted ass publishers.

how long has it been since a work of art is judged solely on it's own merits (or lack thereof) instead of being judged by it's publisher?

News Comments > Op Ed
85. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 17:55 Slick

Sho wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 17:51:
Julio wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 17:49:
Tell them they can take their man-hating products and shove 'em where the sun don't shine.

What's man-hating about any of this?

nothing, this is all lunacy.

there is a real discussion buried beneath all of this, but trying to have a frank discussion about any real issue with the gamer community is like trying to have tea with a rabid terrier.

News Comments > Op Ed
75. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 17:46 Slick

in short, nothing deserves this treatment. that's it. it's fucking black and white. if you think that writing an article critiquing an art form deserves death threats, then we'll never see eye to eye. fuck off.

so what if you don't agree with her point, good for you gamer. you make your online life about sneering at everyone that crosses your path online, and you really can't handle someone else doing the same thing?

if you can dish it out, you can bloody well take it.

"gamer culture" of which she refers IMO is pretty awful, not for queuing at events etc. (uhh ok?) but for the generally vitriolic nature of how gamers comport themselves online. in forums, gaming sites, reddit etc. and yes, there IS a male bias in most games, but by no means is it all games. there's a discussion that should be taking place here, and instead it's just typical gamer culture awful-fests.

check out a baseball forum, or the avsforum, a review forums, any number of different interest online groups, and you'll see a marked improvement in civility immediately. all of a sudden you feel like you're in a room with adults talking, instead of a room full of 12 year olds all trying to prove who can be the biggest asshole.

i've been playing games since the atari 2600, and everyday seems to be a new high-water mark where i also say to myself: "i've never been more ashamed of people in my social group". cause it's fucking shameful. not just to the extremists who are calling death threats etc. but to everyone else who day-in and day-out make this scene just fucking awful. there's a few reasonable voices in the clutter, but it's mostly just terrible.

again, because nowhere in this discussion is the debate concerning the "fraternization" of videogames even explored. it's literally just monkeys throwing shit at each other.

News Comments > Op Ed
70. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 17:22 Slick

commonperson wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:43:
InBlack wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:11:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:07:
Yeah I was just thinking about that the other day. Apart from a few notable exceptions, most developers really do have a hard time rolling with the (mostly justified) punches that their fans keep throwing at them.

Nothing from the book, music or film industry even comes close.

Okay, I'll take the last point first, you obviously don't know many musicians or authors. Knowing quite a few of both and a few at the larger international scale I can tell you that you are wrong plenty hate their fans a whole hell of a lot (though the dynamic is quite different).

Now to your first point, "justified" punches? How is any of what went down in this latest train wreck justified? The rape and death threats are out there for the public to see, this is not stuff any of them are making up. Doxing is quite public too. Hell those Lizard twats did a straight up terrorist act (and yes calling in a fake bomb threat is classified as an act of terror). How is any of this justifiable on the part of fans? If it was simple things like "hey you know this ending kind of sucked" people like the Doctors over at Bioware would probably still be running the company but it was "OH MY GOD YOU ARE WRONG HERE IS YOUR HOME PHONE NUMBER ON THE INTERNET I HOPE SOME ONE GOES TO THE HOME ADDRESS I JUST POSTED AND RAPES AND MURDERS YOUR CHILDREN". Honestly, I've been playing video games since Pong and right now I've never been more ashamed of people in my social group.

just felt like reposting this, i might a few more times for good measure. reading these stories, then the comments section is too fucking depressing to put my own thoughts into words... this guy comes pretty close though, good on you.

News Comments > NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support
4. Re: NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support Aug 29, 2014, 04:50 Slick

was not getting 60 FPS with my 280x, so i'm pretty sure nvidia is ust utilizing their shadowplay feature to just encode straight away instead of record to memory.

880's can't get here soon enough... but the question is.. get a 28nm version? or wait for the die shrink?

News Comments > Titanfall Adding Titan-less Mode
22. Re: Titanfall Adding Titan-less Mode Aug 29, 2014, 04:43 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 01:32:
PHJF wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 21:06:
Greenish wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 20:17:
So I don't get the hate for Titanfall here, is it because it's Xbox One/PC exclusive?

Origin, here. I'd love to play the game.

Really? Origin is that different from Steam? I just leave Origin unstarted unless I want to play something on it. Then I start it up. No biggie.

you sir, are clearly the devil.

and who said that it wasn't a complete game??? battlefield was always MP-only, then they added SP and people facepalm'd because it has no place in an MP game like that. Titanfall just sticks with MP-only, and now they don't have a complete game???

and the DLC should have been free? yes that's another laser-focused commentary. brilliant.

like arena shooters? like counter-strike/Cod? like double jumping and wall jumping? then guess what, titanfall executes all of those pretty damn well.

the problem with arena shooters and CoD type stuff is that they only really hold my attention for a few weeks. new games modes months after launch help renew my interest. oh i'm sorry i interrupted the flow of the thread, let me get back on track: "new game mode!? it breaks everything!" your welcome.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Delayed
7. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Delayed Aug 29, 2014, 04:27 Slick

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 22:12:
Meh, massive corporations compete with themselves all the time... This is just a sign of Ubisoft's confidence in their position as an equivalent power within the games industry. The holiday shopping season eclipses the entirety of the rest of the year in terms of sales, so why not cram as many highly-anticipated releases into that window as you can? BTW, I'd never even heard of AC: Rogue, so I don't think you can put that on the same level as Unity and FC4 at all. The Crew is somewhere in the middle.

nice infographic, although they're all probably owned by GE. that's who i consider the true mega corporations on the top of the food chain, Comcast, GE, Vivendi, they're the biggun's

also, fuck unity if it's still stuck at 30 FPS on consoles. high refresh rate plasmas look nauseating playing 30 fps games. mega dissapoint.

News Comments > Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes)
18. Re: Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes) Aug 29, 2014, 02:51 Slick

wow those are some serious minimum specs for Sims 3, i didn't think it was that bad. but to be honest, i've played Sims 3 on a 5870 with an i5 750, and it ran like a quadriplegic, terribly.

i'd consider the minimum specs of sims 4 to be much more realistic to run sims 3 properly. i can't imagine how painful booting up a full town with those specs in sims 3 would be. just saving your game would take 15 minutes. let's hope that at the very least the toned-down scope of sims 4 means that the basics are less buggy. I don't hold buggy games against them if they're actually trying to pull off something complicated. some of the best games i've played are both terribly complex and horribly buggy, but i'd rather have that any day than cookie-cutter rehashed nonsense that never takes any risks.

and yes, i do recall you being one of the few who didn't jump on my dick pre-launch of simcity, fuck me for being positive amirite? i'm glad i don't see the worst of those guys posting here much anymore, but whatever. shit rolls off my back. if people wanna hate i'm fine with that, i hate everyday, i just try and point my hate gun at things that deserve it. EA deserved hate for fucking up the launch (but not that much hate, it was on CNN if i remember correctly), but Maxis IMO tried something cool and it largely succeeded, even though that was never the story. The story was always-online fail, and smaller cities.

still problems with that game, but they're minor compared to what glassbox does imo. something about it has such a SimTower feel to it, maybe that's the nostalgia that's got me hooked... just being able to follow one sim at random move into town, find work, commute, shop, check out a sports game etc... i just loved zooming in and getting lost in the moment. something that other city builders have not achieved. other city builders look and play better when zoomed out, but nothing touches SC2013's micro.

News Comments > New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players
14. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 12:24 Slick

garrywong wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 09:57:
Ok this is stupid. Haven't they considered what this is going to do to the pro scene? Yeah ok, you can play with a "classic" ruleset that doesn't change any of this, but now you are going to have a divided community. Them noobs that don't learn anything because they are playing on ezmode, and the hardcore pro scene.

yeah, this isn't going to affect the pro scene at all. this is about casual pugging. and have you noticed the shift in online FPS games in the last 15 years? yeah, maybe spawning with a gun in your hand will actually attract a larger player base. then you'll have more noobs to shoot at! crazyness!

man i remember that one time this game came out with a new game mode, travisty! it divided the community! nothing was ever the same! total chaos! dogs and cats living together!

if people want classic they'll choose classic. it's not rocket (jump) science. it's just like that bullshit lawsuit filed against microsoft because they bundled IE with windows. are people that inept that they can't figure out how to immediately download chrome, firefox, or fucking netscape navigator? if people want to play a mode, they're competant enough to click "MODE THAT I WANT".

why are all gamers now treated like a bunch of whiney toddlers who can't even make the smallest intelligent decision on their own... oh right... i forgot we've been proving that to them one day at a time.

15. Re: Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes) Aug 28, 2014, 12:14 Slick

lol the SimCity engine is a "terrifying piece of shit"?

can't remember the last time something so pretty and detailed terrified me.

the Sims engine is a piece of shit, as it has no higher graphical quality aspirations, and no layers of info-graphic-like detail, no modeling tens of thousands of individual sims/cars... it's just the same shit as Sims 2 but with a couple new animations. It has not been reworked to properly accommodate to the size and scope introduced in Sims 3 (as that game always ran like shit) and instead of re-tooling the engine to handle the scope, they just severely gimped the amount of content (1-5 lots at a time??) for Sims 4.

that is dictionary-definition "piece of shit". please don't compare this to the glassbox engine, that engine is pretty amazing, and i don't know of any other engine that's capable of doing what it does.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Aug 28, 2014, 11:51 Slick

AHAHAHA

"counter-terrorists win"

best comment ever

10. Re: Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes) Aug 28, 2014, 05:01 Slick

Quboid wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:48:
Rhino wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:39:
Aside from the lack of review copies being sent out, which is never a good sign, there is also this:

http://ts4news.com/post/94541924952/89-features-missing-from-the-sims-4

Some of them aren't terribly noteworthy (no acne, as an example); but some of the others are eye catching to me.

There is some important stuff, what the hell are they doing? Taking cues from SimCity 2013? If they've scaled back the game world and increased the system requirements, I wonder what has been added that's using the excess power.

LOL what "excess power"? i'm pretty sure my wristwatch can play this. also WTF is an "Athalon X4?" Sims 4, looks just like Sims 2 except now harnessing the awesome power of DX9.

And Simcity 2013 did have it's issues with always-online, but that game actually had some cool stuff going on, it actually feels like the simulation is alive. But there's literally nothing i can get excited about for Sims 4, and I've been playing them since the first iteration of the series, shit I've been playing maxis games since the OG simcity.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2014, 05:08.

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
40. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 17:49 Slick

seems like the crux of it revolves around these "trading card" itemization mechanics, which DO directly affect gameplay, so it's all about how easy it is to earn these same credits through normal gameplay.

I know that some people were very upset that you could pay to unlock say all vehicle unlocks in BF3, but to me I unlocked them all in the first month of playing anyways. It seemed like a tax on lazy people or people who don't have the time.

and yes, sue me, they're lazy. i don't buy a game and expect to have everything unlocked in a week of casual playing and complain when i don't. then complain more when they offer these unlocks for $2.99. it's a shortcut. shameless yes, but not at all affecting the value of the title as-is when launched.

the only real question is weather they are by design very unlikely to be unlocked through normal time spent playing the game, or if they're basically saying you have to pay money to experience the full breadth of the game, because it would take 1000 hours of gameplay to unlock the majority of the game.

this is a very important distinction when comparing paid DLC models, and IMO the only one worth discussing.

*ALSO we need another word rather than DLC, cause i hear DLC and i think of $1.99 virtual trading card packs, or a different colour skin for my players. I don't think of a proper expansion, with new maps, skins, models, gamemodes, etc. to me that'll always be an "expansion pack" in my eyes, but it seems that it's all lumped together into this awful term "DLC". and it's pretty obvious that whatever "DLC" is, everyone hates it.

36. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 15:41 Slick

Oh and beamer, i %100 agree with you about the mounting cost of videogames, and yet the prices pretty much stay the same (yay consumer!). I was also paying $50 for NES cartridges (however i got Loom on floppies for about $60, didn't have a CD-ROM yet).

Then when you consider inflation and the quality of games improving, we're all getting better value with time, for less money (well it's the same amount of money, but that money is worth less, and we're unarguably getting a lot more production, weather the games are "better" or not). if things had stayed the same, with inflation we'd now be paying $300 for a new super mario brothers 8-bit game built by a team of 6 people.

I remember the first "multi-million dollar" game I played (Phantasmagoria), and i was like WOW i bet games with this kinda budget only come around every decade or so. NOPE! pretty much every "AAA" title is putting forward tens of millions these days.

I bring up this argument mostly everytime people complain about how expensive the new Battlefield game is with DLC, and that EA has "screwed everyone again" bla bla bla. so i gently remind them that:

BF1942 + all xpacks = $110 (10+ years ago)
BF2 + all xpacks = $110
BF3 + all xpacks = $110
BF4 + all xpacks = $110 (1 year ago)

and then i usually get screamed at by some wanna-be economics major who informs me that my inflation argument is without any merit, then demands that i detail how infact we're getting more for less money today, because that's obviously not the case because... well cause ea sucks, and uggghh, well...

35. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 15:31 Slick

not really relevant, but Plants vs. Zombies 2 is a F2P game, it's not DLC on a purchased game, totally different class. And infact it's one of the much better implemented F2P games out there, I've finished the game on my girl's ipad without spending a dime, or ever being gimped like candy crush (you lost all your lives, wait 30 minutes or pay now to play). And PVZ2 was ESPECIALLY good for the F2P model considering the other EA F2P abomination recently released "Dungeon Keeper" which i think is generally considered the worst F2P game ever. you practically have to pay a nickel every time you tap the screen.

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2014, 15:41.

317 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo