Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 1028 (Pro)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evolve Free Update Adds Arena Mode
10. Re: Evolve Free Update Adds Arena Mode May 27, 2015, 00:36 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on May 26, 2015, 22:53:
Sempai wrote on May 26, 2015, 22:51:
they shit the bed with their pre-order/dlc/in game store model fiasco.

They shit the bed at $60.

this. and only this.

it's not a bad game by any means. shit if they did it F2P it could have had a following, but i guess just marketing the ass hammer out of it seems to have recouped expenses for this title. 2k is owned by take-two, so they have all the billions from GTAV to throw at it.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades
65. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 22, 2015, 00:47 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on May 21, 2015, 22:27:
Slick wrote on May 21, 2015, 19:06:
and yes, EA currently makes the best FPS game on the market

Dude? And you called *me* the biggest troll on this site? Seriously? WTF???

i knew i'd be jumped on for that comment, but i still stand behind it.

name a better FPS game on the market and i'll eat my shirt.

name an FPS that looks better, plays better, shoots better, has the depth of gameplay, has the large battles, the map size, vehicles, etc etc etc.

I've been playing FPS games since wolfenstein 3D, and there's nothing better than rolling with a squad in battlefield. those "battlefield moments" they market are the reason i've been playing those games for the past decade+, where just about very other FPS game out there gets stale after a few weeks, I can go back to any BF game in the canon and play a round that plays differently than anything i've experienced before. for someone with ADD like me, it's my happy place.

name an FPS which tops it, and i'll play that instead.

62. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 19:06 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on May 21, 2015, 18:22:
I think where some use the words favorites, I think it is safe to say they have built up their rep from previous actions, allowing some leeway. There is no secret hand-shake, or group BN meetings on who we like or don't like. EA, I'd like to think if they made a fantastic game, we'd give them some credit for that.

To me reading here, it seems overall that it's gfx or nothing. I bet the game still looks darn good, but then comes in "how fun is it to play?".

i'm not commenting on how it is to play whatsoever. It looks like a blast to play. this conversations is entirely about graphics. and watching that comparison video showing PC ultra settings looking virtually identical to PS4 graphics, after they went out of their way to say "it's so good, we can't even show you yet (insinuating that the PC looked SO GOOD that it would eat into console sales)" is tripe. waiting until after launch to rack up all the pre-orders they could is double tripe.

and yes, EA currently makes the best FPS game on the market, but every article about it (BF4) on blues is like the troll apocalypse, like the H1T1 virus turns normally mild-mannered posters into vitriolic haters with such an axe to grind that they'll post hate and lies for years at a time.

you know... "favorites"

this is another dark day for the supposed PC gaming master race, they've been console nerfed into the ground and people who should be at arms are defending it.

"look at the comparison video, it looks like you can see 2 more shitty looking trees in the distance in that one scene, PC ultra and console are MILES APART!" instead of looking at the 8 billions graphical assets that are IDENTICAL.

look what you're all defending, it's atrocious. calling it a shitty port is being offensive to all the shitty ports out there. this is 1:1 line for like console bullshit.

60. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 18:10 Slick

there's absolutely favorites

can you imagine if simcity decided to not tell anyone that it was online-only until launch day? howabout Elite:Dangerous staying mum about axing offline until launch day? too busy piling on the pre-orders... heads would have rolled.

although with comments like this:

Malachii wrote on May 21, 2015, 09:11:
Even though I am more and more filthy console scum, these devs continue to win me over. They seem extremely honest and sincere.
Gamers are butthurt over a trailer from a couple years ago and they want to do something to make it right? Jeez.

it's quite obvious that it's better to beg forgiveness then ask permission.

54. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 16:37 Slick

descender wrote on May 21, 2015, 12:35:
The PS4 has a lower different draw distance and exhibits pop-in issues (which are obvious even in the video you posted), it also doesn't run at 60FPS... The PS4 version is basically "high" settings with a 30FPS lock. Woo! Bait and swi... bleh. Will it still be "bait and switch" in 2 weeks when they patch a bunch of the PC fidelity back in?

The fact that people looked at E3 demo's and trailers and think that's the game they are buying... /boggle Welcome to advertising.

1) watch that trailer again, i'll link it again incase anyone missed it. HERE. if you're seeing any differences between PS4 and PC ultra settings, then you REALLY want to see differences. because there are none. it's the same graphics on the console, and the high powered PC that they held back footage for because it was "too good". If the only difference is "the PC gets a better frame rate" well guess what? THATS NOT A GRAPHICAL DIFFERENCE, that's just superior hardware. how am i having to explain this? drink the kool-aid much?

BOLLOCKS

2) the trailer clearly said "in-game footage". yes. if i buy something based on advertising that says "in-game footage"... call me crazy, but I expect it to be in-game footage. but i guess according to you savvy consumers understand that when i ask for a coke and expect a dark carbonated beverage, and the waiter gives me a lemonade, then it's my fault for trusting anything ever.

53. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 16:21 Slick

Great, so the only one on my side is the board's biggest troll

It's amazing to me how obvious some devs just get a pass, bliz, valve, and now CDPR apparently. they have so much goodwill that they can do no wrong.

They openly said that they refused to show the PC graphics because they were "too good". and the game comes out, and guess what, it's virtually identical to the PS4. yes, the PS4 has a bit of pop-in, but that's about it. same foliage, same draw distance, same bloom, same everything. the "foliage" look like sprites from morrowind. the whole graphical treatment stinks of last-gen consolitis. the poly count is low. the textures are shitty. It looks good for an xbox 360 game. not for the next-gen PC graphical bliss that they not only alluded to: "the PC version will blow you away", but even showed us.

Did watchdogs get a pass because they downgraded? LOL!!! fuck no, they were a laughing stock, it's ubisoft, they can do no right, they're evil, watchdogs downgrading to work on consoles was just about the worst. (ironiclally when they released Unity, these same people bitched that the quality was too high). But then modder "the worse" released his infamous mod to reclaim PC watchdogs to it's E3 2012 glory. so until that happens with Witcher 3, then it's %100 grade AAA bullshit, and you're all lapping it up.

and yeah, GTA V still has wonky mouse acceleration issues (sensitivity is tied to framerate), when i try typing to people in my job my keystrokes go "through" the chat window and instead triggers things like me leaving session involuntarily, oh and the fucking atrocious multiplayer "match-making", uhh "service"??? but you know. after spending 7 years on a game, they "almost" got a passworthy release for PC, better pre-order!

46. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 12:16 Slick

what short memories you apologists have.

"we're purposefully not showing PC footage, it just looks too good. Don't worry, the game on ultra will BLOW YOU AWAY."

gameplay showing ultra being more or less identical to PS4

they lied, and moreover, they lied up to the launch date, trying to squeeze more sales in. they purposefully didn't show off PC gameplay, because it was TOO GOOD. not my words, this is what they were saying a week before launch.

it's fucking disgusting. and the fact that this, like all gaming forums is littered with people apologising for this behaviour is nothing short of ridiculous. BAIT AND SWITCH.

It's hilarious that I was called an apologist with simcity (for being a fun game) but it was always-online, therefore i was a shill. even though the online DRM was WELL known for months ahead of launch. but CDPR pull this shit as a launch day surprise for all you pre-orders! and the whole internet explodes in apologies.

News Comments > BF Hardline Criminal Activity Details
5. Re: BF Hardline Criminal Activity Details May 20, 2015, 20:07 Slick

meh, looking forward to the spring patch for BF4, i miss jets and tanks

if any series really needs some free maps, it's hardline. something about the art style too, just seems flat, none of the maps pop. although from playing a bit of the SP, it seemed like the art style was much more impressive.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Open Beta
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm Open Beta May 20, 2015, 03:32 Slick

InBlack wrote on May 20, 2015, 02:07:
I'd have to say around 4.5, 5 GB max. HOTS is going on the backburner for a while, until I finish or get bored with the WitcherIII. The open beta and eventual release is very welcome. The game needs a large player base for the matchmaking to work, right now its fubared.

how is it fubared? i've been playing for the last month, and only a handful of times has it taken longer than 60-70 seconds to find a match. once it took 250 seconds, but that was a 1 time anomaly. played maybe 50 matches so far.

Slick.1980 i play a mean hammer

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
54. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 20, 2015, 03:28 Slick

NewMaxx wrote on May 19, 2015, 20:37:
bhcompy wrote on May 19, 2015, 19:16:
And they have a choice? This was the point of buying PhysX. No more discrete PHysX cards, now everything is run through nV GPUs only or done in emulation. The only other player is Havok, and Havok doesn't have dedicated hardware tied to it, nor does it have the resources to provide the level of "support" that nV does.

It's easy to blame the developers when anti-competitive practices make it really easy for the developers to choose PhysX over Havok. Like I said, this is exactly what Creative did to Aureal, and it completely destroyed the discrete PC audio market(which, apparently, is a lesson most of you kids weren't around to learn).

You are completely correct about Creative. I've stated my views on them before but they really did rape the market and it is a fair comparison you make. Audio, after a certain point reached a long time ago, didn't really involve much innovation. Creative simply cornered the market with anti-competitive behavior and found a way to get way more money out of it than is deserves. I've long modified drivers for other cards, including on-board audio, that makes a $5 chip functionally identical to their entry-level $50 cards, cards that really rely on software processing anyway. It's a joke.

I say the comparison is fair because I also programmed with PhysX before NVIDIA purchased them and it was always a scam. You know how it's trendy for people to make Web 2.0+ companies with the hope of selling them off for far above their value to Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, etc? That was the entire business plan for PhysX, I kid you not. They just tried to grab some patents and make some bullshit hardware so they'd get bought out, and it was a good match for NVIDIA because the discrete GPU market is a 2-horse show which is perfect for such antics. It's a continuation of what they did with 3dfx.

the audio stack has been %100 handled by the OS since... vista? maybe XP SP3 even? microsoft killed the discrete audio card market, as zero processing happens on audiocards since that move.

53. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 20, 2015, 03:24 Slick

oh and if physx is baked into project cars, it's officially the biggest joke in the industry. look at this video the collisions are a joke. i'm pretty sure that games for the PS2 had more detailed physics happening than this. let alone a rockstar like Next Car Game, which is %100 CPU physics.

so i think that there's not much to the physX thing, having played the game myself extensively, the crashes are the worst part of the whole game, bar none. they %100 kill the immersion every single time, some of the time it's just hilariously bad, i wish i could find better youtube videos to show it.

whatever, i still can't put the game down, just ordered a T300RS xD xD xD

52. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 20, 2015, 03:16 Slick

without taking sides (LOL fanbois), an interesting fact some might know is that ATI had a bunch of futuristic tech baked into their chips dating as far back as the X1900XT, stuff that nV couldn't compete with for 4-5 years.

however these parts of the chips remained idle until the 5xxx series, why is that you ask? because MS refused to implement these techs into the newest version of DX, which was DX10 at the time, because %60 of gpu owners (nV's market share) couldn't access these features.

This is supposedly part of the reason why DX10/10.1 was such a mess. It wasn't until much later when these features were finally rolled into DX11. from a technical standpoint the X1900XT was essentially a DX11 card (not quite, but was capable of %99 of the spec's standards).

ATI built for the future, but ended up over-engineering and losing money when nV held them back, maybe not maliciously, but it was still this fact which prevented MS from implementing all of the cool stuff ATI had built until DX11 rolled around. it's interesting to look back and see how that all played out.

--------------------

p.s. oh, and here's an end to the endless fanboi-ism, buy the graphic card which is better at making graphics, or makes graphics more efficiently (goes back and forth all the time). and fucking leave it at that.

50. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 20, 2015, 02:51 Slick

SpectralMeat wrote on May 19, 2015, 09:39:
The Half Elf wrote on May 19, 2015, 09:18:
But anyone who has been around 10+ years in PC Gaming knows that while AMD has good hardware, they are NOTORIOUS for horrible drivers. Every time I have upgraded my GPU since the good old VOODOO days, this has played a factor into my purchase of NVIDIA cards, and why I will NOT purchase a AMD card.
That and their heat, noise, and power consumption levels are much much higher than Nvidia cards.
I also like some of the bells and whistles Nvidia cards come with like Physx, and shadowplay which I use extensively to record gameplay.

this made me lol, you obviously forgot about Nvidia's roots as the big stinking inefficient monster GPUs of yore. please, don't believe me! enjoy this internal nVidia marketing video

also yes, I also liked physX, they were promising to be the new thing in gaming, a future with molecular physics in all games. Then nVidia bought them out, and now 1 in 100 games has a slightly better looking barrel explosion. the other 99 are untouched. Probably one of the most heartbreaking things to happen to "the future of gaming" since the dawn of the medium.

shadowplay is good though, that's why i bought a 980.

News Comments > BF4 Spring Patch to Add New Weapons & Gun Master Mode
10. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues May 18, 2015, 03:01 Slick

fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, HATE, HATE, OMG HATE, WTF HATE, ALT-F4, UNINSTALL  

News Comments > BF4 Spring Patch to Add New Weapons & Gun Master Mode
8. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues May 18, 2015, 02:41 Slick

Whiskers wrote on May 17, 2015, 22:23:
Scavenger was fun. I wish they'd bring back the Aftermath DLC from BF3. Those maps were great

once i figured out there was an ammo crate on each map in aftermath, scavenger became a whole new game Evilgrin

also, the "troll" playlist looks like it will be great for gungame. call it "gun master" all you want, all I read is Cartman saying "ass master".

I just REALLY hope they've killed off the stupid grenade launcher stage. It always drove me nuts being able to pull out to an early lead in gungame, only to get cockblocked on a grenade level. Very few things in videogames are able to take such a feeling of victory and turn it into awful as the grenade stage of GG. the knife at the end i can live with.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule
59. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 14:38 Slick

Redmask wrote on May 12, 2015, 14:15:
Slick wrote on May 12, 2015, 14:12:
I've often wished for at the very least a community-organized repository of savegame files at varying % through the game. I'd be fine picking up someone else's toon to finally finish ME3 (and ME2 for that matter) if it meant skipping 20 hours of shit i've already done.

masseffectsaves.com

Gamefaqs also hosts saves for many old games.

that must be why ME popped into my head, i've def used masseffectsaves.com before, however if i'm not mistaken it was mostly for importing characters from one game to another, ie. %100 completion %100 paragon sheppard from ME1, to be used in a new game for ME2. Maybe it's changed, but i don't remember finding a %50 half way through the main quest save for ME2, which was what i was originally looking for.

although i didn't know gamefaqs had something similar going on, i'll have to check it out. I really want to finish FFXIII too, but i just can't bear to get through it. the only reason I even care is because XIII-2 was pretty good, and made me want to go back. then the suck started.

53. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 14:12 Slick

descender wrote on May 12, 2015, 13:16:
Who leaves games on their HHD/SSD for so many years?

I keep mine all backed up, I still have some old savegame files from the 90's that I'm sure won't even work if I wanted them to :p

Lately I've even started creating junctions after installing a new game so the settings/saves go directly into my backup drive instead of my windows user profile.

What if i want to pick up KOTOR again? Start over?! HA!

this idea is ripe for a service, some software that could reference a huge catalog of games' save game paths, and just upload all that shit to the cloud. I'd pay for that.

I've often wished for at the very least a community-organized repository of savegame files at varying % through the game. I'd be fine picking up someone else's toon to finally finish ME3 (and ME2 for that matter) if it meant skipping 20 hours of shit i've already done.

51. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 14:08 Slick

descender wrote on May 12, 2015, 13:53:
W3 being "open world" doesn't imply doing sidequests in any order you wish IMO... and I prefer some direction anyway. "sandbox games" are a subset of "open world" games that allow you to freely roam and do whatever you want without structure (i.e. skyrim). W3 is simply not a sandbox.

i guess that's a more apt comparison. either way, i'm on-board with some structure. I mean final fantasy games are very structured, even when they have "open world" areas, and i usually like that style more.

sandbox games get tedious after a while. the exploration is fun, but in the grand scheme of why I play RPGs it ends up getting old fast. It would be nice to actually finish an RPG sometime this decade... i think the last I did was dragon age: origins.

48. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 13:38 Slick

gamesradar so far has the most negative review that I've found, still a strong %80.

It's an interesting read (although i'm skimming all of these), focusing on how it's not really an "open world game". apparently you're strongly guided through missions in the order that the game wants you to take.

40. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 13:06 Slick

Cutter wrote on May 12, 2015, 12:16:
Slick wrote on May 12, 2015, 10:22:
alright, his post has been deleted, he's been sufficiently shamed, let's move on.

I must say however currently living in the west coast USA, thhis will be the second release in 2 weeks that happens at 4pm for me. I think that this should be the new standard!

also, it's about time that we figured out a universal launch day across all media, none of this tuesday/friday nonsense. For the consumers i'd say friday makes more sense, however if you need critical 0-day updates to squash bugs, you'd want to do it during the week so the employees would be in the office. (although i'm sure they could come in the weekend of launch).

Put the trolls on ignore. That's why that function exists. When they no longer have anyone's attention the move on to greener pastures.

Anyway...agreed. I never understood why they didn't do a Friday release. Most people are off for the weekend so what better time to start a new game than a Friday night when most people are relaxing. But that would make sense.

long ago, when I first started posting here, I was tempted to put you on ignore, for your many cutting remarks (see what i did there?). But you're a shining example of why I'm glad I didn't, because IMO you've really rounded the bend in the tone of your posts. You often have strong convictions, but whereas you used to come across a bit too edgy for your own good, you're much more well-rounded now. Just from a personal note, I definitely do not agree with everything you write, in fact sometimes I strongly oppose your ideas, however I've enjoyed your input a lot more in the past year. Perhaps what they say is true, the clothes you wear makes the man. And in your case the change to sparkly rainbow horn-blowing avatar man has done wonders to revamp your image

...although I do understand the psychology of not feeding the trolls with attention. CJ must be rolling in it right now, notice how chipper he is? he's the talk of the town, he's loving it... sigh... I'll hold out hope for a litte while yet.

1028 Comments. 52 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo