Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 352 (Amateur)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Xbox One Controller for Windows in November
35. Re: Xbox One Controller for Windows in November Sep 17, 2014, 19:13 Slick

Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 13:03:
Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 12:30:
Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 11:45:
Is the bone controller really that much better than the 360 controller?

Nope. It's more comfortable to hold but I find other things to be straight up regressions from the 360 controller.

I will happily ignore this controller then. Thanks.

what's a regression from the 360 controller? it's basically the same only marginally better in several ways?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Xbox One Controller for Windows in November
34. Re: Xbox One Controller for Windows in November Sep 17, 2014, 19:10 Slick

Beamer wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 12:07:
This isn't as shocking to me as it is to some people. I believe we still have people on this board unwilling to use wireless mice due to lag time. Some PC gamers are very seriously anti-wireless.

they obviously haven't used the G602 mouse yet. i'll take zero cable tug and 500hz reports with zero latency over a wire any day. best wireless implementation i've ever seen.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 18:09 Slick

so how the shit does %50 of our sample use RMB bound to forward?

what game started it? it couldn't have been a spontaneous thing, no?

39. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 17:56 Slick

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 12:53:
Wait you make it sound like you look up by pushing the mouse up. I thought the reverse was true with inverted Y, whereby you push up on the end of a balance beam where the fulcrum makes the other end go down, or as if you're up against a wall, pushing up in order to move yourself down. Does one of us have it backward? I push down to look down, as in your example of compensating for gun recoil. Did I read all that totally wrong?

i think i said it correctly? now you've got me doubting myself. we shouldn't use words like "up" or "down" to describe how we push/pull the mouse. i pull the mouse towards me to make my in-game character look up, i push my mouse away from me to make it look down, so yeah i fucked up lol, keeping recoil down would be harder for me, but easier to snap up to a hostile on a catwalk above me.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2014, 18:10.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 12:42 Slick

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 12:31:
Slick wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 12:10:
*also, inverted Y for life! (so furious to games that just omit the feature, ie. controlling drones or some shit, it's Y normal, and there's no option to change it, it's like pretending that %10 of gamers just don't exist.)

That's so goddamned insane. There must be a name for this mental illness from which some people suffer. Seriously, why not just switch X as well? If you're gonna "push" in a direction, why not at least be consistent with it?

2 reasons:

#1: logic

when i look up i tilt my head back, i don't "push my eyes up". similarly i tilt my head forward when i look down, i'm not "pushing my eyes down"

#2 superior muscle mechanics

in most FPS games, bursting with an automatic weapon kicks the barrel up, thereby needing downward compensation to keep the gun level.

if you are compensating by pushing the mouse up, you're extending your fingers away from the base plant of the bottom of your palm, where you have less fine control over mouse movements, because your grip is now with extended fingers. worst case you need to move the base of your palm up slightly on the mousepad to achieve this, again losing control.

conversely, by pulling the mouse toward your palm is a more natural movement, you do not have to lift your palm base, and your fingers are not over extended. mechanically i'd argue that this system provides better concrete control. weather you're better or worse with it is a totally different matter, i'm just talking logistically, as if it were a robot hand.

also worth keeping in mind that most FPS games have you needing to look up in-game more often than down. you're rarely having to look at your feet, or down the side of a cliff, at least compared to how often you have to look up above a crate, ladder, catwalk, building etc.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 12:10 Slick

harlock wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 09:48:
i still map right mouse button to jump in every game.. space for zoom/iron sights

my brain needs it... also its just easier to aim when you arent already pressing down on the mouse

i was close to switching my whole setup to this from how shootmania was training my brain, the right mouse jump just felt so "light" and very freeing especially in an arena shooter, but i ended up going back cause my mouse grip while ADSing seems to need the extra force of RMB being depressed to calibrate my aim, it's just built-in at this point.

had an old battlefield friend who still used arrow keys for WSAD, remapped everything around them too, could rarely get him to try a new game cause of the set-up time required.

what game started the RMB for move forward? there must be a genesis for this madness. and speaking of games that change how you play, FarCry 1 made "V" prone for me for all future titles, just sits so perfectly where your left thumb lies on the spacebar.

*also, inverted Y for life! (so furious to games that just omit the feature, ie. controlling drones or some shit, it's Y normal, and there's no option to change it, it's like pretending that %10 of gamers just don't exist.)

News Comments > Saints Row Creative Director Joins Valve
6. Re: Saints Row Creative Director Joins Valve Sep 15, 2014, 19:18 Slick

Cutter wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 11:24:
Guess he got tired of doing actual work so it's off to Valve for a vacation for a few years.

lol yup.

making games is for chumps, making money is for real game devs.

News Comments > Star Citizen Patch, Ships, Trailer
27. Re: Star Citizen Patch, Ships, Trailer Sep 14, 2014, 03:40 Slick

nin wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 14:43:
I love the way the video likes to point out the ship folks bought previously is now old hat, and you should by this new one, if you'd like to keep up.

Classy.

GOT TO BUT IT. YOU GOT TO BUY IT.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus
62. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 13, 2014, 17:53 Slick

Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 15:10:
Slick wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 14:48:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 13:59:
Slick wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 23:08:
that being said, i do think this is probably my best choice, i've heard that the pro variant of the x52 has bettere tracking on the stick? better hall sensors? also, how do you find the tension on the x52 stick? the detents on the throttle?
The X-55 has a much better sensor setup than the 52. I hear that the magnet mod on a 52 Pro is just as good though. There have been some quality issues reported with the 55, but I must have got a lucky one.

If you're buying all new, the X-55 is my recommendation.

nice, glad to confirm. i was leaning towards the X-55 anyways, but right when i'm about to make a decision, i read a review which totally pans whatever i've chosen. quality issues seem to be real, but that might have been early production issues, it's been out for almost a year now i think right?

i've read that the twist rudder is pretty stiff, which to me is a plus because there's less chance of accidental inputs. also i've read that the stick tension is stiffer closer to the middle and less near the outside edge of general stick x/y movement. some people don't like it, but without trying it myself, i'd think of it as ideal? so that you have more resistance closer to the deadzone for greater precision when you're a few pixels off from lining your shots up, and vice-versa nice and loose when you're just making a high-G turn as fast as possible.

i figure if i get it from amazon, i should be covered pretty well incase it falls apart, have to see what the manufacturer's warranty is...

what do you use to "strafe" with the X-55 setup? i've heard that none of these new sticks can have the "mouse nipple" input mapped to anything other than mouse input, so you'd need to use one of the hats, are the hats on the throttle comfortable? does it all just sit nicely in your hand? or are you having to strain a bit to reach anything/doesn't sit naturally. last thing: they removed the customizable base adjustment from the stick from the X-52, does it matter? i have kinda small hands, and i'm wondering if it's going to be a strain to reach the top hats on the stick, or if it will even sit comfortablly when just using the trigger and my palm on the base.

thanks!

There's an extra nipple hat on the throttle for lateral thrust. Most stuff falls to hand pretty easily, though I have to shift my hand to use one of the hats on the stick.

The real test of intuitiveness will be when beta 2 comes out and I try it with the Rift DK2.

yeah, i can't wait for my DK2 to get here, probably not for anothr month at the earliest. lastest buzz is that apple is hogging all of the priority shipping out of china cause of the new iphone and watch. not sure if there's any truth to that.

anyways, can you confirm that the nipple can be used for lateral (and vertical) thrust? cause that would be a deal sealer for me. i've seen other places that you cannot map things to it. or did you have to set it to "4-way hat mode"?

59. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 13, 2014, 14:48 Slick

Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 13:59:
Slick wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 23:08:
that being said, i do think this is probably my best choice, i've heard that the pro variant of the x52 has bettere tracking on the stick? better hall sensors? also, how do you find the tension on the x52 stick? the detents on the throttle?
The X-55 has a much better sensor setup than the 52. I hear that the magnet mod on a 52 Pro is just as good though. There have been some quality issues reported with the 55, but I must have got a lucky one.

If you're buying all new, the X-55 is my recommendation.

nice, glad to confirm. i was leaning towards the X-55 anyways, but right when i'm about to make a decision, i read a review which totally pans whatever i've chosen. quality issues seem to be real, but that might have been early production issues, it's been out for almost a year now i think right?

i've read that the twist rudder is pretty stiff, which to me is a plus because there's less chance of accidental inputs. also i've read that the stick tension is stiffer closer to the middle and less near the outside edge of general stick x/y movement. some people don't like it, but without trying it myself, i'd think of it as ideal? so that you have more resistance closer to the deadzone for greater precision when you're a few pixels off from lining your shots up, and vice-versa nice and loose when you're just making a high-G turn as fast as possible.

i figure if i get it from amazon, i should be covered pretty well incase it falls apart, have to see what the manufacturer's warranty is...

what do you use to "strafe" with the X-55 setup? i've heard that none of these new sticks can have the "mouse nipple" input mapped to anything other than mouse input, so you'd need to use one of the hats, are the hats on the throttle comfortable? does it all just sit nicely in your hand? or are you having to strain a bit to reach anything/doesn't sit naturally. last thing: they removed the customizable base adjustment from the stick from the X-52, does it matter? i have kinda small hands, and i'm wondering if it's going to be a strain to reach the top hats on the stick, or if it will even sit comfortablly when just using the trigger and my palm on the base.

thanks!

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
74. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 13, 2014, 04:20 Slick

i hate video game studios that release awesome games to me OUT OF GREED.

my only issue is buying it for PS4 or PC. MP will be more balanced on PS4, but i can't deal with it underperforming like i saw on the 360. i didn't miss it on last-gen, i (and others like me) purposefully waited for a next-gen release.

maybe they're trying to make me buy both version, WHY YOU SO GREEDY TAKE-TWO?? lol

54. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 13, 2014, 03:41 Slick

AHH! i'd lose my shit if i lost a new ship that nice that fast, sucks dude. although lesson learned, i don't think i'll even consider a new ship if i can't afford the insurance for it ontop of the asking price. what would future ship dealerships look like? could you talk your salesman down to invoice? would he try and upsell you anti-space-rust plasma undercoating?

loomy wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 02:25:
if you must have a big joystick, ch combatstick is unfortunately still the best

if you must have a circle under your left thumb, there are options like razer orbweaver

everyone seems to speak highly of the CH gear, however the CH combatstick doesn't have a twist rudder. if anything i'd be looking at the CH throttle, it's the only one with a true analog thumbstick. the problem is finding a single stick to pair it with that has twist rudder. as for the orbweaver, i've considered stuff like that, or the G13, but at the end of the day if i'm going to go full-retard with a HOTAS and VR setup anyways, i want a throttle. my masterplans are to fab a hotas setup that fits nicely around my recumbent excercise bike (aka why i need twist rudder, can't use pedals). that plus the rift should see those pounds melting away!

49. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 12, 2014, 23:08 Slick

Parias wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 14:45:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 13:33:
Slick wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 13:20:
all i want is a twist-rudder, and on the throttle, a good thumb joy for lateral and vertical thrusting. that's it! no HOTAS setup has it. so infuriating. the warthog seems great, but no twist-rudder. and only the CH throttle seems to have a real thumb-joy akin to a console left analog stick. i feel like i'm taking crazy pills, how is this not a straightforward thing? instead we get 4 hat switches for your left index finger instead, it makes no sense!!!!

This is exactly my problem too. I have no idea what kind of setup people use, but in these games not having strafe not on the throttle controls makes absolutely no sense, and I have never seen a setup that has this either.

Really? What you're describing is EXACTLY how I use my Saitek x52 in Elite: Dangerous

The HAT switch at the front of the throttle is where I bind my lateral / vertical thrust functions. My finger naturally rests there while playing, and so it's easy to reach and activate. It works fantastic.

Is this the "4 HAT switches for your left index finger" that you were referring to, Slick? If so, why is using that such a problem? Like I said, it works perfect for me, but maybe it's just down to my own preference.

yeah, i can't get used to using my index finger as my main strafing input after 15 years of using a console analog stick. also, it's not a joy on the throttle, it's a 4-way hat, which is all on/off input, not analog.

i just want an analog stick utilizing the same thumb that's been used for the same control ever since Mario64. that and twist rudder.

18. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 12, 2014, 13:20 Slick

Drayth wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 13:03:
I thought when you bought into the alpha / beta you got in on the official release too? Why is there an additional discount?

yeah waddap with that?

early aug order for my oculus, should be here by october, can't wait! just really stumped on finding the right HOTAS... been driving myself crazy with it. seems like there's no ideal HOTAS setup...

all i want is a twist-rudder, and on the throttle, a good thumb joy for lateral and vertical thrusting. that's it! no HOTAS setup has it. so infuriating. the warthog seems great, but no twist-rudder. and only the CH throttle seems to have a real thumb-joy akin to a console left analog stick. i feel like i'm taking crazy pills, how is this not a straightforward thing? instead we get 4 hat switches for your left index finger instead, it makes no sense!!!!

anyone here tried this game with a HOTAS? (hands on throttle and stick) and care to comment on what works and what doesn't? i think i'm going to go with the saitek 52-pro, but i've read pleanty of horror stories about that too... CRAZY PILL TIME

36. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 13:04 Slick

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 13:00:
I was under the impression XBone and PS4 were far more similar to PCs than their predecessors. Shouldn't the PC development run fairly parallel to the new consoles?

yeah, but this is still a project in reconstructing code from last gen consoles. i think that coding new projects from scratch might be the nearly one-to-one ports we'll be looking for... kinda... i mean there's trillions of combinations of PCs out there, QA is a lot harder on PC to get right, or even %95 right. which is about as "right" as the pc market can hope for these days

34. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 12:57 Slick

why is anyone here surprised with [R] releasing the windows version 2 months after the consoles? They'll make more money, that's why. Because it's primarily a single-player game which will be easily pirated on the PC. people who want it for the holidays will buy it for console.

now act indignant for me insinuating that anyone's ever pirated a singleplayer game on the PC. and remember that this isn't even a new game. they're reselling you last year's game with more car density for the low low price of full price. no discounts. lineup starts now.

besides i don't think they made enough from last year's game of the year, right? you know what i think? that this is one of those "companies" that likes to "make money"! hmmmm...

27. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 12:27 Slick

ItBurn wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 12:01:
nin wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 11:53:
Xero wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 11:40:
Why the hell 2 months later? Exclusive is out the window so what gives? That's some serious lame sh!t and doesn't make sense when they could capitalize on the holiday sales. Weird.

Eitherway, stupid move by Rockstar.

You have two pieces of hardware with static innards, and one piece of hardware that could have anything in it. Guess which one gets tested last?

A ton of other devs release all platforms at the same time successfully. That's because it's planned properly.

lol. "successfully". "tons of other devs".

don't worry soon the idea of a port will be long since past, as it will all be running on the same x86 code from console to PC.

up until now, correct me if i'm wrong, but devs develop on a PC, using a development kit for the console (360/ps3), to generate code that will run well on a console, and then take that same super focused consolized code and try to re-inflate it back to PC spec. hence a decade of awful PC ports. once they've fully dirched the last-gen, we'll be in a like-like system, and not only can PC be launched at the same time without much trouble, it will receive the same support too.

i love to daydream

11. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 10:24 Slick

mch wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 10:02:
SlimRam wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 09:50:
By the way, do these guys ever freaking miss? Everything they touch turns to gold, amazing.

Well, there was State of Emergency

STATE OF EMERGENCY IS MY JAM SON

10. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 10:21 Slick

60 fps on PS4 or else PC all the way.

would be more fun on the console, but i can't put up with 30 fps, even in gta

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 11, 2014, 08:33 Slick

destiny = diablo 3

in so many ways