Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 1159 (Pro)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 2143 Images?
42. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 30, 2015, 20:33 Slick

bf3 and 4 are not rife with cheaters actually. compared to counterstrike, or previous BF games, it's gone down drastically.

I've put in over 1000 hours combined with bf3 and bf4 and I've seen 3 hackers. so unless i have the best luck in the world, then most of the time it's just people getting pwned and getting butthurt. if you're getting shot from 2km away with an "AMMO BOX" then guess what, that's a hacker. if you got pwned and don't understand "how he saw me" then you just don't understand how the game works. spam spotting ftw.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 30, 2015, 10:18 Slick

Verno wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 09:59:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 04:28:
My point is that it doesn't matter that they shut down the BF42 servers. You still have a myriad of choices if you want to play: vs. bots alone, vs. bots coop, multiplayer over LAN, host your own server, etc. etc. The newer BF games don't allow any of those options. Once they shut off the servers, that's it basically.

They don't want you to have any options. Your only option now is battlelog and they can sunset whatever they want. There's no real compelling reason for this design methodology either, they could still do everything they're doing with unlocks and stats while maintaining public auth servers but they choose not to. EA has an established history of prematurely sunsetting software too so there is no reasonable defense here.

so you'd rather the "option" of a game's servers being tied to a shitty 3rd party piece of software that can go bankrupt and take down all your games?

they don't give out server files cause of A) protecting their engine and content, yes the cynic will just say so they can sell you DLC, that's true. but it's also to keep their secret sauce secret in a world of corporate espionage. when one title can generate a billion dollars... you'd better believe that any dev who touches frostbite has to dig their way out of a canyon filled with NDAs first. and they deserve it, it's their baby, it's probably the best-looking-at-the-same-time-best-running engine out there at the moment.

and B) they do it to prevent cheaters.

News Comments > OS X & Linux DirectX 11 Support Plans
2. Re: OS X & Linux DirectX 11 Support Plans Jun 30, 2015, 09:55 Slick

hoo boy  

38. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 30, 2015, 09:47 Slick

Verno wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 09:40:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 01:10:
Believe me, anyone reading this (especially this post right here) is going to think you're the crazy one.

Learned that long ago, not sure why you guys keep wasting time with this lunacy. Why give this kind of person exactly what they want which is a captive audience? It's so samey and boring anyway, just takes opposition stances on everything to annoy people and spew volumes of nonsense.

lol, k. good job sticking to the topic at hand, and not just ignoring all the sense I make and just hurl personal attacks.

37. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 30, 2015, 09:46 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 04:28:
My point is that it doesn't matter that they shut down the BF42 servers. You still have a myriad of choices if you want to play: vs. bots alone, vs. bots coop, multiplayer over LAN, host your own server, etc. etc. The newer BF games don't allow any of those options. Once they shut off the servers, that's it basically.

well yeah, that's a totally different thing. you access the SP of battlefield games through battlelog nowadays. if that goes down, then it'll take everything with it. That however hasn't happened, and it seems very unlikely, as they continue to release every new title on the same service, therefore keeping the service alive. It's their own platform, not a 3rd party company. Makes me wish they'd let punkbuster go bankrupt and build and maintain their own anti-cheat service... but I digress

All of these ancient retro games that got shut down all had singleplayer on the disc, no matter how many servers go offline, you'll never lose the ability to play the game.

what has been lost is the multiplayer, but that's no different than any social interaction. If you were alive and partying in the rave scene of the 90's, you know that it was a fucking amazing time and place to be in. but the people stopped coming around, it fizzled and faded, as all things dependent on human interactions do. multiplayer is a social thing that moves on with the times, the GameSpy servers being shut down didn't kill these games, the lack of people playing them did. Enjoy what's infront of you while it's there.

Or you know, be like sepharo and lash out at anyone who doesn't agree with your distorted reality that people care about being able to play a game online that no one had been playing online for the last 5 years. "obviously so many people care, because there's 4 people online right now" You missed the train.

It's like saying you want the club to stay open all night even though everyone's left hours ago, and it's just you and some creepy Russian standing in the corner. the party is over, and it's been so for a long time.

News Comments > Scrolls Closing
42. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 30, 2015, 08:30 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 02:28:
Slick wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 00:21:
Hyatus wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 23:38:
They should create a tabletop augmented reality version of the game. It seems like such an obvious extension of the technology. They wouldn't need to put much thought into it.

brilliant.

fuck you microsoft. you aren't throwing out the air freshener, you're throwing up the crumpled blueprints you found in the glovebox which is a secret treasure map which leads you to the ferarri factory.

I haven't played Scrolls, but "air freshener" didn't sound right. From what I've read, your analogy is much more appropriate.

And as someone mentioned, you've got an existing exploitable apparently well designed CCG that can be developed to challenge the giants of the genre and a closed platform on which to promote it. Why wouldn't you do that??

go play the free demo! and I think the full version is like $5? last year it'll even be playable, get em while it lasts! and if you want cards or gold let me know, I literally have more than I know what to do with in that game.

41. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 30, 2015, 08:29 Slick

NKD wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 00:37:
crappy Scrolls which no one's ever heard of and could be replaced by any generic card game.

LOL K. I've been playing CCGs for 20 years. I've never seen anything like scrolls before. It's far from generic, infact it's not really a CCG, it's a CCG-tabletop hybrid.

but look at me talking as if you'd actually know what you're talking about. silly me. go play the free demo.

33. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 30, 2015, 00:35 Slick

Krowen wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 21:38:
Basically your opinions are garbage and only seem designed to antagonize other posters unnecessarily in a way that attempts to put EA games in a positive light.

It's funny how "antagonistic I'm being", compared to the rest of you. might want to re-read your own tones before commenting on mine.

And it wasn't EA, it was GameSpy. I know that if there's the whiff of EA's blood in the water, you go crazy trying to sniff it out. But it was Gamespy that went under and took all these games with it. EA could have bought up a company which was fundamentally broken and insolvent. All so a game which hasn't sold one new copy in 5 years, that 15-20 people still regularly play can be still around for NONE of you to actually go and play. yes they could have. they didn't. it's too bad. are they monsters for letting it sink? fuck no.

You're fucking activists. the fucking SJW of the gaming scene, always looking for a bullshit cause that you like believing in, but has zero real-world applicability to you, nor 99.999999% of the rest of humanity. you don't play the game, you wouldn't play it it if you had a second chance. But you bitch about the "idea" of needing to be able to play the game online. you pine for an opportunity to play with 8 guys from Russia who are all hacking on some old and busted game.

you guys need to learn to let go. for real. you must have abandonment issues.

33. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 30, 2015, 00:21 Slick

Hyatus wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 23:38:
They should create a tabletop augmented reality version of the game. It seems like such an obvious extension of the technology. They wouldn't need to put much thought into it.

brilliant.

fuck you microsoft. you aren't throwing out the air freshener, you're throwing up the crumpled blueprints you found in the glovebox which is a secret treasure map which leads you to the ferarri factory.

14. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 29, 2015, 19:02 Slick

Vall Forran wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:54:
Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:50:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:47:
Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:38:
Oh and in a time where Hearthstone is the #4th most-watched game on twitch (47,132 people currently watching people play a card game, pfft). yeah... best not to bother.

Maybe they thought they couldn't compete and needed all that money for their Win10 marketing blitz.

shit yeah, when you drop 2.5b on 2 IPs, you can't be expected to pay $50,000 for an online ad-campaign. Somehow the Kate Upton shovelware game has all the ads in the world, and last I heard they have a zillion players.

You're lamenting monetary gains between mobile games and pc games. Good luck with that. I can show you to a rubber room to express your anger.

Edit:

I'm not trying to piss you off. All my friends from Dreamworks now work at fucking Zynga. These are people that brought you How to Train Your Dragon.

scrolls is on mobile, well tablets at least, and a droid phone version was planned, but guess what? NOPE

also, it takes a lot of systematic prodding and poking at my tender underbelly to piss me off. And if you haven't noticed, I'm kinda this board's punching bag.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Jun 29, 2015, 18:56 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 16:03:
Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 13:39:
And I suppose we're to believe that "heroes vs villains" will consist of a team full of Luke Skywalkers vs a team of Darth Vaders, because according to dumb gifs posted online the game only has "2 heros"

Probably has more than 2. Think it has 37 like Battlefront 2?
BF2 had 37 heros? i don't remember that. however i never played it. I did play LOTR: conquest which was the same game by the same devs but with LOTR nonsense instead of SW nonsense in it. They had 5 heros on each faction.

-gandalf/saruman = mage class
-legolas/crazy uruk archer who killed boromir = archer class
-frodo/grima wormtongue = rogue class
-aragorn/witch king = warrior class

and Elrond as a warrior, and ring wrath made 10, also warrior.

i'm expecting something similar with SWBF

11. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 29, 2015, 18:50 Slick

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:47:
Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:38:
Oh and in a time where Hearthstone is the #4th most-watched game on twitch (47,132 people currently watching people play a card game, pfft). yeah... best not to bother.

Maybe they thought they couldn't compete and needed all that money for their Win10 marketing blitz.

shit yeah, when you drop 2.5b on 2 IPs, you can't be expected to pay $50,000 for an online ad-campaign. Somehow the Kate Upton shovelware game has all the ads in the world, and last I heard they have a zillion players.

30. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 29, 2015, 18:47 Slick

Making excuses? you should raelly read my posts more carefully, i'm not making excuses. I'm saying i don't give a fuck. and clearly 99.99999% of the rest of the world's gamers don't give a fuck either, or they'd probably be playing those games.

Scrolls was fun while it lasted, but i'm not such a control freak that I believe that everything good will always last forever. I'm not 10.

The SP games of your youth you can keep going back to. But MP just like any other social endeavor is all time and place. Being in on a game when the servers are hopping, and there's an active community is a great thing to experience, but that doesn't last forever. things change.

Also, i'm bitching about M$ because they bought 2 IPs for 2.5b$ and never advertised once for this game. there's a different between a great game that made it big 10 years ago, and has all for totally faded into dust, and it's quite another for a great game made 2 years ago, that never even had it's shot. there's been about 120-130 concurrent scrolls players online for the last year. It's pathetic. I'm not surprised at all it's being closed, I AM surprised that they did nothing to try and ever get that game an audience to BEGIN WITH.

8. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 29, 2015, 18:38 Slick

Vall Forran wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:32:
MindStalker3 wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:24:
Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:03:
Wow, that investment is really paying off, huh Microsoft? Ahhahahahaha!

They purchased mojang for the minecraft trademark. Nothing more or less.

Agreed. Cutter is just being an asshole.

yeah... putting an ounce of marketing behind the OTHER ip you just bought for $2.5b would be silly.

ESPECIALLY if it's from the hottest devs on the planet, who's other title is the most popular game in the world. Oh and in a time where Hearthstone is the #4th most-watched game on twitch (47,132 people currently watching people play a card game, pfft). yeah... best not to bother.

"and now presenting, the CCG from legendary studio who brough you minecraft, SCROLLS!" see what i did there? that's more marketing than that game ever received.

Oh well, I have 3 of every card in the game, I beat it. it was 2 short years, but I had a lot of fun doing it. It will be missed.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out
18. Re: Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out Jun 29, 2015, 18:31 Slick

mark my words, when this controller ships, we're going to see an 8000% increase in the incidents of "nintendo thumb"

I used to have one of these for my SNES growing up, it was advertised at being able to cure thumb fatigue... it didn't. It made it decidedly worse. Now there will be people used to pressing on buttons and joysticks for 20 years getting their hands on this. good luck retraining your thumbs to not need to add force. pressing on something that doesn't give will destroy your thumbs! mark my words! slick the doomsayer! the sky is falling!

2. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 29, 2015, 18:18 Slick

so sad. this game is 1000 times more fun than hearthstone.

the gameplay is better, and the economy isn't so soul-crushingly divided that you can actually get good cards for playing a few games. unlike hearthstone where i'm just getting walloped every live match i play by these uber insane decks where i don't have a hope in hell. Oh and i don't even get gold unless i win. LOL

RIP scolls. chalk up another destroyed IP by M$

News Comments > Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans
3. Re: Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans Jun 29, 2015, 18:15 Slick

Wildone wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:13:
And gamers will still bitch about it..just watch.

yeah I bet there won't be enough DLC, or there could be too much DLC. the fact is that there won't be the right amount of DLC. you can't refute it. apologists.

28. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 29, 2015, 17:00 Slick

sigh indeed

CS 1.6 has 23,800 peak users today. How many do you think Need for Speed had before it was shut down? Apparently your definition of "active playerbase" is different from the rest of the world's. Also CS doesn't rely on Gamespy. Gamespy is the company that shut down, taking many MP games with it. If you wanna grind your axe against a corporation, they're the one who dropped the ball. This is what happens when you hitch your wagon to a geriatric horse.

and yes, you can play quake, but are you? do you? there are currently 4 people in the whole damned world who are playing quake right now. this isn't the 1% we're talking about here, it;s the 0.00001%.

And if you had the basest reading comprehension, you'd see that I said plain as day that it sucks when this stuff happens, but really who the fuck cares. If you want to play 1942 badly enough, all the server files are out there, you can drum up your own server and give all your friends the IP. Gamespy went bankrupt, that's it. also known as the sky is falling. I don't lose sleep over this stuff.

Disco is dead. accept it. move on.

25. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 29, 2015, 14:50 Slick

But that totally changes the argument from: "shitty publishers can make it so i can never play their games again by flipping a switch", to: "i can't play online games a decade later when there aren't any servers anymore". it's a pretty big leap.

BF3 and BF4 have had the biggest SP offerings the series has ever known. And the ones in the series beforehand all had bots, so you can go back and still play any BF game ever made. You just can't go to concerts for that one old band because all the band members died from smack overdoses a decade ago.

This is again a far cry from a series that "never released any CDs" they released tons of albums.

And I'm pretty sure that it's because gamespy went down that they shuttered 1942 and vietnam. Battlelog is their own product, which from the looks of it is going to be a portal to the MP of this series for a long time. As long as people are willing to pay for private servers that is.

Being upset that you can't play MP in a 15 year old game anymore is because everyone including the developers and publishers have moved on. I'm sometimes upset that i can't go out and find a good discotheque to boogie down to, but then i remember that disco's fucking dead. You can still rock out to your Sly and the Family Stone vinyls, but you can't re-live going out and boogieing down with all your friends in a 70's disco, they don't exist anymore.

Shit i wish i could find a decent video arcade to pump quarters into, but they are practically extinct. it's a shame, but again, there's a reason. everyone moved on. nobody plays that shit anymore. there's no money in it, and most business owners aren't in the business of hemorrhaging money.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out
1. Re: Steam Hardware Early Preorders Sold Out Jun 29, 2015, 14:39 Slick

I know people said I shouldn't pre-order things... but sometimes I just can't help myself

pre-ordered 3 steam machines

1159 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo