Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 697 (Apprentice)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
18. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 26, 2015, 01:34 Slick

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 00:41:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 20:40:
That analogy is terrible, actually. There's nothing stopping some other company or group from creating their own games portal. Steam is just really fucking great at what it does, and it would take a lot for a competitor to offer real competition. Broadband is completely different. There are things stopping someone new from entering the fray. That's an actual monopoly.

You're missing the point, the world does not work on free market theory. It works according to the laws of nature. Consider Windows Vs Linux. Game portals are like operating systems. People have no reason to switch.

The videogame market is one giant lesson that free market theory is false, the human mind simply doesn't work in any kind of rational way. Nowhere is this more apparent with the rise of DRM and Steam to begin with. Having our games chained to a server back end, with no dedicated servers and files that are encrypted with a shitty "steam service agreement" is in no way healthy for the game market.

i really want to agree with you, because it sounds like you're taking my side in this, but i don't really understand what you're on about.

you say "consider windows vs. linux" then just stop that comparison... lol. and something about life is like a force of nature? i'm not sure what you're on, but i want some of it.

i think it's plain to all that steam does provide a good service (well, not their actual "service", unlike uplay and origin they have no phone, nor live chat support, yet are 10x bigger than both of them combined, but you know, the games bought from this store seem to download good), but the MAIN reason they're successful is that they were there first, so they have all the market share. very similar to an ISP being the first to hit a town, and getting %100 of the customers wired up. It just becomes a futile effort to try and dethrone them. you'd lose money even trying. most businesses don't care much for losing propositions, so they don't try.

the only part that really confuses me is when people say one company having all the business is bad in one respect, but good in another respect. one ISP having all the business bad, but Steam having all the business good. walmart bad. steam good. i'll never understand gamers.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2015, 23:51 Slick

the GTA San Andreas they're giving away is a port from the android version so you know.  

16. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 25, 2015, 23:22 Slick

yeah, i know, i acknowledged as much.

but let's indulge, shall we?

there's nothing stopping other competitors from starting a new ISP and coming into a town trying to get some market share. But they don't because it would cost too much, for too little share, because the town already has %99 of customers subscribed with the competitor. And the rules state that they'd have to offer the whole town service, a huge undertaking (and an unfair rule, as the original ISP who had to abide by it, got %100 of the town's business as compensation).

In the same way, I'd say %90+ of PC gamers use steam, and many of them have no wish to ever use another service. So a company trying to publish their own game rarely able to do so, because they will lose too many sales to not being on steam. They can still try, but they will go out of business if they do, so it's easier and more financially responsible to hand the vast majority of their profits over to steam. (%30 of gross is a lot, steam doesn't pay for any costs of development or marketing, they just take %30 for being a storefront)

my point is there's nothing STOPPING a new ISP from joining the fray, just that the realities of the market make it financially near-impossible to do so. i think a parallel could be said for trying to compete against steam.

the irony is that this is done out of user choice, not government regulations. If anything it's worse. but then again steam is no stranger to irony, they created the service as a big "fuck you" to 3rd party publishers because game devs couldn't sell their own product, that they had to hand over a large share of revenue to a 3rd party. now steam is the 3rd party. and all by choice, not regulation. strange days indeed.

14. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 25, 2015, 20:35 Slick

Fletch wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 18:42:
Comcast just doesn't want you dumping their cable TV for less-expensive internet streaming (although Comcast wasn't specifically mentioned in the article).

That said, I've been with Comcast for 12+ (?) years, and every time they've been able to raise my bandwidth, they have done so without raising my rate. Just 2-3 weeks ago, I was happy at 30Mbps. And then, one day, I was getting 60Mbps, and I usually get the full 7.5ish MBps when d/ling or streaming. When I first joined Comcast, I was lucky to get anywhere near the 5Mbps I was paying for. Comcast may be evil to the rest of the civilized world, but they've been the bee's knees for me.

i had them for 2 months, and the raised me from 25 to 50, then were going to raise it again to 105 a few months later, but i cut the cord to go with centurylink.

even when we get a great deal, i think the underlying issue is competition. that chart is crazy, 3 out of 4 americans don't have a choice in broadband provider. madness. monopolies/duo-polies whathaveyou aren't good for everyone.

even though there are some benefits, like getting free speed boosts, their practises put more people out of business, and don't serve where they're needed. Steam is a virtual monopoly on PC gaming (indy in particular) and their sales are great. however it comes at the cost of reduced competition, where an indy studio selling their own game through their own portal will be overlooked because it's "not on steam". i know this analogy isn't great, but it's a gamer forum, whatever.

13. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 25, 2015, 20:24 Slick

the real question here is if people are dumb enough to hate on this because they've been convinced that the government sticking it hands anywhere into people's lives is inherently bad.

this, like most issues should be bi-partisan, but i can't wait to see how the right will twist and distort this issue into "the government can't be trusted to regulate anything, they have no business in the private sector" and people will buy it.

Corporations are people my friend.

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 25, 2015, 16:49 Slick

step 1) buy 4k TV

step 2) have no content because everyone's "fine" with 10mbps

step 3) have government try to force ISPs to upgrade to 25mbps minimum

step 4) people don't care cause they're fine with 10 mbps

step 5) buy 8k TV

step 6) be confused by there's still no 4k content

2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 25, 2015, 15:45 Slick

as bad as it is, and it IS bad. it doesn't even scratch the surface of how bad Canada is.

$55 for the ultra-lite package, with 3 down, 256kbps up, and 15 25 (!) gigs a month bandwidth limit.

still, the US should be leading. instead it's the lobbiest paradise that it's always been. i love how zero-competition is somehow morphed into "the american way" when it comes down the BS pipe.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 25, 2015, 01:37 Slick

today the world took e-sports a little more seriously. some people said it wouldn't happen, some people said it couldn't be done. but it looks like e-sports is right up there alongside all professional sports, their top tier players need to cheat like fish need water.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced
7. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:06 Slick

did anyone post THIS yet?

the game is $10 this weekend.

News Comments > TOXIKK Early Access
10. Re: TOXIKK Early Access Jan 24, 2015, 02:42 Slick

after spending the day with it, i'd give it a solid "hold off for now", as there's not enough content to keep me coming back. the gun meta doesn't feel great either.

i'm looking forward to seeing the game that this becomes, their roadmap says full release is slated for may, with new levels, modes, and guns rolling out in 1-2 week patches.

i honestly just wanted to give these guys money for reviving a genre i miss dearly. i voted my hard earned $17 towards simple yet hard-to-master, competitive FPS.

although i've been ruined spawning with a good gun in my hand for the last 15 years, i do kinda hope there's a dumb-guy mode where you all spawn with all weapons. for competition map knowledge and control is key. i can win most of the time even though i might not be as good of a shot, just because i control the map. but sometimes i don't want that headache, i just wanna run around blasting things like a retard.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Double XP - Havoc Trailer
2. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Double XP - Havoc Trailer Jan 24, 2015, 02:03 Slick

i was just saying: "you know what this game sorely needs? 2 more empty playlists. the 48 ones we already have aren't cutting it."  

News Comments > Dying Light Disc Release Plans; Be The Zombie Mode is Free
9. Re: Dying Light Disc Release Plans; Be The Zombie Mode is Free Jan 23, 2015, 12:16 Slick

so wait, anyone can "be the zombie" for free, and basically populate a paid players game who get to play as humans? is this what's going on here? (totally didn't watch the video)  

News Comments > The Sims 4 Free for 48 Hours on Origin
2. Re: The Sims 4 Free for 48 Hours on Origin Jan 23, 2015, 12:12 Slick

def enough time to play one household to (completion) death, if on the extended life setting.

there's a lot in sims 4 to like, the emotional state thing is cool. And i wasn't unhappy about a bunch of content extras that have been stripped away, for me, ever since sims 1 it was always about the core experience, i've never bought an xpack for any of em. i usually bore of the game before i'd wanna consider xpacks.

News Comments > TOXIKK Early Access
1. Re: TOXIKK Early Access Jan 23, 2015, 10:31 Slick

it's pretty fun, the rocket launcher is OP for now. what's nice is there's little countdown timer holograms (using windows 10) above each weapon spawn, so it makes for fun scenarios of trying to time/camp grabs.

the rest is very classic arena-like, no big surprises. it feels a lot like that demo map for UT3, the only difference it seems is that people might actually play this one.

i wear my BN name on steam, so if you see me in a server, WAIT! DON'T SHOOT!

News Comments > Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans
64. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 22, 2015, 09:25 Slick

...ionno that cortana bitch just sounds like she's scheming against me, i can hear it in her voice...  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 22, 2015, 09:19 Slick

maybe you shouldn't be giving having a monster locked behind pre-orders, maybe you shouldn't have even announced DLC when the game isn't even yet released, but everyone's main complaint seems to be content.

just sayin, there's a reason. Any game that talks about DLC before the game ships disgusts me. It might still be a good game, something i'll even play, but it rubs me the wrong way. Value my $70 investment on it's own before trying to upsell me. Of course if there's no content, there'll be no one to upsell to 3 months after launch, cause no one will be playing the game.. better sell that to em before the game's even out!

and none of this even mentions the one egregious sin they've committed, the 5-minute time between rounds. the round ends, you load to a synopsis screen, seeing how the last round played. wait for that 45 second clock to go down, then you load into a player lobby, where you wait for new players to join, that has a 2 minute clock i think. oh wait, you already have the same 5 players! well time to load again (and these load times aren't fucking short, even with a good PC), into a character select screen, done that? then you load into the actual fucking SAME MAP you just played, then another 45 second opening cutscene and you're back to the game. it's outrageous. they have no respect for my free time.

News Comments > More on Windows 10 and Xbox
26. Re: More on Windows 10 and Xbox Jan 22, 2015, 09:10 Slick

panbient wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 07:59:
I know my internet was out for 'a few days' last week. Or did I accidentally fall into a coma for a few years instead? What happened to Windows 9?

Did they forget what comes after 8 or did I miss something? Why stick with numbers if you're not going to be sequential? Did 7 really eat 9?

Lol, i can't believe i didn't think of that. good ol 7-8-9. anyways the real reason there's no Window 9 is because there's still checks in the codebase pertaining to Windows 95 and Windows 98. so anything that starts with "Windows 9-" is already buried in there somehow to this day. So the practical solution was go to 10 (or anything that doesn't start with "windows 9-"). there was never a "Windows 1". although with this penchant for "one" in their marketing, that day might come sooner than later...

25. Re: More on Windows 10 and Xbox Jan 22, 2015, 09:05 Slick

lol cutter, you can't get mad/defensive when you use numbers in an argument, that are then (very politely) pointed out to you to be inaccurate/improperly used. beat me to it Bundy!

presenting stock prices on their own doesn't give any real information. that's like just quoting the atomic weight of gold as an indicator of the total weight of a 200 ft. tall gold statue. you simply don't get any information by quoting half the equation.

we're all disappointed with MS that they do nothing with pc gamers, even though they have an install base of a bazillion trillion computers already, but you don't help your argument by spouting things that don't have any bearing on what you're saying, then getting upset when corrected on it. it's a simple mistake that we've all done before. chill.

5. Re: More on Windows 10 and Xbox Jan 21, 2015, 21:31 Slick

Cutter wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 21:00:
Slick wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 20:38:
even if if this was an unveiling of a killer app with must-have features (spoiler: it wasn't), i still wouldn't be able to get excited because any time phil spencer is on screen all i can think about is how many different ways i want to cave his giant head in.

that fucking smirk he's always wearing, and those beady little eyes. it's like his job is a joke that he's the only one "in" on. and really he has utter contempt for everything that's seething from his mouth. like he secretly knows how much damage is being done to the medium of gaming everytime he says the word "xbox". he leads with an out-puffed chest like some half-retarded prize fighter who's vegas odds are dropping every-time he curls his lips into another smirk.

really this guy is the smirk king, i rarely get to use the work smirk, but that's all this guy does. he smirks. he's a smirker. i want to cave his fucking skull in.

Yeah, but how do you really feel?

I really feel compassion and love for my corporate overlords (i'm just a shill remember). blessings and peace be upon you microsoft corporation. i pray for their continued wisdom to let me stream my xbox to my PC. it's what the world needs, oh great microsoft, we ask and you listen, oh you are great.

really, how fucking backwards is streaming a console, to a PC. did you see the 3-GPU beast Alienware PC that our boy phil was using to stream his xbox footage from? you'd have to be a goddamn giant-headed, puffy chested, beady-eyed, blustering, condescending, smirking asshole to think up something like that.

how much of a kick in the balls was this as their grand unveiling for PC gaming in win 10? hey phil you fuck! why don't you use shadowplay to record 10x longer on that PC you're using instead of 30 seconds through xbox live app (don't worry it's included in every copy on windows 10, whew!)??? well cause it's far easier to save that 30 seconds to xbox app, and then export it to onedrive, and then download that to my fucking computer so i can then delete it immediately and hang myself.

goddamn fucking phil.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2015, 21:19 Slick

what will sink this is the same thing that sunk kinekt: no buttons.

it's just VR/AR with the lcd screens on glass, it's really nothing spectacular. you know what else is wireless, has a camera on it to see your surroundings, and has a reasonably good processor onboard? the GEAR VR.

sure you can interact with anything anywhere! how do you do this? by waving your hands around, and pinching your fingers together.

my idea's always been some ultra ultra-lite hardware that straps to your wrists, which extends to your fingers, so you have basically a mini keyboard across both hands, with some nub for a mouse or joysticks or something. something very small and elegant, but you'll never replace the productivity of sitting infront of a computer, unless you take the peripherals with you.

that will be the TRUE killer hardware for all this VR/AR/Holo stuff coming out, whoever figures out the input problem.

697 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo