Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 573 (Apprentice)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 4 "on Hold"
12. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 4 Dec 17, 2014, 01:37 Slick

BitWraith wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 08:34:
Game ran fine for me on a GTX 970.

yup. my 980 handled this on ultra without issue, looked incredible and worked near-flawlessly, other than the odd AI character running into walls etc. Maybe i'm missing something, but the game worked fine, it was just very graphically ambitious right? I mean i couldn't play it on my 2x 280x rig at 4k, i was getting like 20 FPS. so if other people with more modest specs are concerned, i can see them getting fed up with a shitty experience.

still, i can't think of a more beautiful game. haven't given it much thought, but it'd probably the best-looking and most immersive game i've ever played. too bad the gameplay is still the same old shit.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
13. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:37 Slick

Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:09:
Playing now!!! WoOt! Haven't played a Space Sim in a LONG time, so far just doing basic stuff in the game, Launch, Land, accept some missions, etc, going to take some getting used to.

Went full open world, just diving right in!!! Loved open world PvP in UO, like that the world can be dangerous

If we ever create a 'Blues' Wings (Guild/Corp) I'd love to join in.

If you are in game, my handle is CMDR Tooch, drop me a friend invite.

Game is a blast so far, the Combat Training Tutorial was very helpful.

i'll add ya, ingame name's boomyak. i tried creating a group, but it seems like the group's name is just my name ie. boomyak's group. if anyone wants to name themselves bluesnews and make a group, huzzah! if not uhh, join boomyak group?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 14, 2014, 21:04 Slick

i'm all for indy gaming, it's just sad that it's rise comes at the same time in gaming's history as the AAA franchises have become very formulaic.

i understand that you can't risk 50 million dollars on a new ip that might flop, but it's because of that type of risk-aversion that steam is filled with all the indy stuff.

still, i'm one for production. i'm the kinda guy that couldn't wait to get FarCry3 to find a cave wall with one dynamic light and see the shadow textures glisten with glorious bump-mappy goodness. I appreciate every new technology that games use to look better and better.

News Comments > Street Fighter 5 Gameplay Footage
7. Re: Street Fighter 5 Gameplay Trailer Dec 14, 2014, 16:10 Slick

agreed that the jump to IV was very monumental, but 6 years is more than enough time to do something different. all these games looks just like last-gen, using last-gen engines, it's depressing. especially considering the gen lasted longer than any other gen is history, we were due for a real bump in fidelity that has not come... this reminds me of SF2 to SF3 though, virtually identical-looking games imo.

and thank you SO MUCH for the BlazBlue tip, i knew that it was made by the same developers as Guilty Gear, but i had no idea that there were any released on PC. this will tide me over nicely until Guilty Gear releases in 2 days

News Comments > Street Fighter 5 Gameplay Footage
2. Re: Street Fighter 5 Gameplay Trailer Dec 14, 2014, 13:29 Slick

couldn't be more underwhelmed by this game. looks nearly-identical to SFIV.

Guilty Gear on the other hand, holy shit. I've never done one of these stylized fighters before, i think this will be my fist.

News Comments > Op Ed
79. Re: Op Ed Dec 13, 2014, 07:16 Slick

if anything i believe that children have a strong grasp on fantasy/vs reality. as they have a very active imagination. they play made up invisible games all the time with other kids. fantasy is more apart of a child's life than adults. i've never seen a child ACTUALLY think that they were a dinosaur.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 12, 2014, 22:12 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 17:57:
Slick wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 11:47:
half the dialogue in interstellar i missed cause of some loud booming eating up all the midrange and clipping into a distorted mess. can't stand that shit. <3 my home theatre.

There's actually a problem with the Interstellar mix. I couldn't hear a bunch of dialog either. And some movie blogs reported the same thing. First time ever for a movie in a theatre for me.

really, that's interesting. i've heard bad mixes before, jurassic park comes to mind, the cast is half whispering/mumbling scientific 1337-speak to each other half the time and it's hard to make out a lot of it.

i guess it's good to know that it wasn't just me with interstellar, cause it wrecked my ear drums in imax, just ruined them. and i'm a working dj, i know loud. the woofers would make this awful sound when they were cranked too high, like some wanksta with a way-too powerful sub in the trunk of his K car, and all you hear is the chassis of the car grinding against the plastic and it sounds like robots fucking.

News Comments > Op Ed
76. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 22:05 Slick

i still don't see where the sexism lies in this game. at no point was a character marginalized or discriminated ON THE BASIS OF THEIR SEX.

you're allowed to have dumb characters who make fools of themselves, and those characters are allowed to be women. the stretch is that equating being a fool to being a woman is what's going on. that would be sexist, but that's not what's happened in any of the scenes that i've seen.

and let's take this one more analytical step further, sexism relates to gender, not women. having the 3 main leads be 3 equally yet different class of psychopathic MEN, giving them all shortcomings, and neuroses, and bad tempers means what? that R* is saying that all men are psychopaths? that all men want to do is kill tons of other men?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 12, 2014, 21:48 Slick

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 12, 2014, 21:40 Slick

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 21:12:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 20:21:
One unexpected surprise for me with the PS4\GTA was the speaker in the controller. The extra dimension added with that speaker is bloody marvelous and R* did a great job utilizing it. Anyone who's playing GTA on the X1 is missing out.

Another Nintendo innovation copied the next generation.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm? hmmmmmmmmmm!

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY XIII-2
4. Re: Steamship Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Dec 12, 2014, 21:35 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 19:19:
Creston wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 18:35:
Has someone played the FFXIII port on the PC? Is it worth playing the port over the PS3 version? (all details about the story being naf or great etc notwithstanding. I'm purely talking port.)

I only played XIII-2 on PC, so aside from setting resolution and shadow-resolution (which actually does make a huge visual difference) you can't rebind most important buttons (like why BACKSPACE is used for anything I have no idea..)..

But it does look good and runs fine on my system though it randomly (And VERY jarringly) jumps between 60 and 30 fps

FFXIII I have no idea... played on a friends PS3... and watched the rest on youtube

i had this same issue, if you have an nvidia card, go to nvidia control panel, and i think under 3d settings, pick the game profile, then make sure it's set for maximum performance instead of auto. the game is so un-demanding on modern graphics cards than your gfx clock speed will be constantly downclocking to 2D clocks, as it doesn't even really understand that you're playing a game. that was the fix for me at least.

check out the full soundtrack for xiii-2, it's soooo good. best FF game i've played in a while. it has it's shortcomings, but it does a lot of stuff right.

as for the xiii port, i played with default graphics settings, so at 720p i think, it just felt "right", although i have heard of a 1080p mod that's easy to do. really it's the same as a console, except for more stable framerate.

the real deal is that xiii was pretty awful, and doesn't necessarily need to be played to fully enjoy xiii-2.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 12, 2014, 14:12 Slick

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 12:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 11:20:
I don't even get what entices people to go to the cinema in the first place. Noisy people and people in front of me blocking half the screen isn't my idea of a good time that I pay money for...

Women like going out and doing things. Often its pointless things just to fill time but that's what women do. It is a very rare woman who is a home body that never wants to go anywhere and sit around playing games or watching movies. That's not a horrible thing either, I do enough of that shit on my own so getting out for a bite to eat with friends and seeing a flick is a nice break from routine.

okay now that post is sexist. sorry, just came from the GTA V polygon article thread

i do wish that there were more things to do with womenfolk than dinner and movies though, why isn't there the videogame equivalent of dinner and a movie? a high-end lan center that provides 2 hours of AAA entertainment? Something high-class, I'd go to that. never going to another smokey korean starcraft dungeon again.

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 14:03 Slick

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 13:50:
stuff

okay, so maybe it's my interpretation of what "sexist" means. to me it means discriminating based on gender. There was none of that in this game, including the paparazzi missions (maybe i haven't played all of them yet?). But from what I can tell, at no point was a female character (or a male character for that matter) discriminated because of their sex, they were discriminated against for having character defects ie. the woman you have to photograph having sex in the backyard. Which is closer to slut-shaming, which is a whole different thing, but at no point was her character insulted or taken advantage of because she was a woman, and i don't think there was any dialogue insinuating as much. I think that's all in the eye of the beholder.

Characters are allowed to be judged on their character, judging someone on their sex is a whole different thing. i never heard: "no you can't come on this mission Alice, because your feeble womanly arms couldn't carry the jewelry" or similarly: "no Joe you can't come on the mission, because you'll just get drunk and try to fuck everything like a primal man-ape"

see? i'm so good i could write for R*

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 13:51 Slick

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 13:39:
GTAV just seems like it's trying really hard. To me. But not saying a single damn thing.

the writing in GTA V is pretty atrocious, apart from the early banter between Franklin and his friend. I hope they write him back into the story (not finished the game yet), as i genuinely enjoyed those cutscenes. For the last 8+ hours it's just been Trevor and Michael screaming at each other, while Franklin is just the token black guy along for the ride.

This deserves closer attention as one more example of how rose-coloured glasses distort a game's merits. The game is fun, and technically impressive, but there's just so many plot-holes and painfully awful dialogue that it's hard to see this as a complete 5-star package.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 13:39 Slick

Flatline wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 11:45:
If you'd argue that at times GTA5 can be sexist, then I'd agree with you, you'd get no argument from me. In fact, in a crime/lowlife simulator there is almost certainly going to be a negative light cast on many women. But I wouldn't immediately say "Oh the designers hate women and this game promotes hating women".

okay, so perhaps i'm not as learn'ed as some who carry around a pocket OED but to me the definition of "sexism" should not inherently concern only one sex (just as racism and prejudice are also concerned, no race or sex is implied with these word).

I'm almost through the GTA V campaign, and i gotta say, as far as a "negative light being cast", i'd say that men take the center stage. well, psychopaths take the center stage, who happen to all be men.

So how exactly is GTA sexist? because there are occasionally women in it? i'm not trying to sound cute, i genuinely do not understand how this works, or the rules going on here.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 12, 2014, 11:47 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 11:20:
Slick wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 10:41:
the real thing to wonder about, is once 4k is here, what would entice me to go to the cinema?

I don't even get what entices people to go to the cinema in the first place. Noisy people and people in front of me blocking half the screen isn't my idea of a good time that I pay money for...

i think the generally accepted exception are comedies. there's something about being in a theatre with a bunch of people reacting to the same thing at the same time which makes it fun. the difference between a comedy being alright or great often comes down to who you watch it with. i'm sure we've all watched something we thought was really funny with some uptight twats who just sneer, and it just destroys the movie.

that being said, i enjoy second-run theatres that charge 2 bucks a ticket and let me take a pint with me to my seat. i avoid the big theatres around where i live, because the teenagers working the projection booth don't know how to dial in the master volume properly, they constantly red-line the whole system cause they think it's better. half the dialogue in interstellar i missed cause of some loud booming eating up all the midrange and clipping into a distorted mess. can't stand that shit. <3 my home theatre.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 11:41 Slick

i'd actually go as far as say that this whole ordeal insinuates that violence against male characters is fine. nothing morally wrong with that! which then becomes misandry. making this whole fake "being offended" thing actually offensive.

men power.

News Comments > Vox Machinae Announced
1. Re: Vox Machinae Announced Dec 12, 2014, 11:35 Slick

VERY interested in this.

after seeing the kind of experience that E:D can provide, a mech game built for VR feels just about right

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2014, 11:31 Slick

mag wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 11:11:
Random question, hardware guys. So, I'm in a position where I might have to take a job out of the country for a while, which means the desktop's obviously not coming with me. I'm in the market for a new laptop anyway, so:

Anyone got a good recommendation for a gaming-capable laptop? I'm kinda aiming for 15", ~$1000, 1080p at least. I'm coming from an old Thinkpad, so I've gotten real used to having a nice keyboard on my laptop, and not feeling like the machine itself is apt to fall apart.

From poking around at the store: MSI seems to have real nice hardware, and the keyboard's okay, but the keyboard layout is kind of terrible. The Lenovo Y50 has "okay" hardware (kinda middling GPU), a pretty decent keyboard (for chiclets), but the trackpad kinda sucks (ugh buttonless trackpads).

i'd recommend a whitebook. they're brandless laptops with the same components direct from the manufacturer. CyberpowerPC sells em, as do a few others. 2 christmases ago I got myself a 1080p 15" matte screen (what I wanted, fuck that gloss son), 3630qm I7 quad core with HT, 16 gigs of ddr3 dominator ram, and a 256 gig SSD.

FOR $808 USD all-in. no taxes or shipping. it was a thanksgiving sale, look for the timed sales, there's some insane deals.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 11:05 Slick

Task wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 10:53:
I remember when child violence was censored from Fallout back in the day, modders added it back in.

Certainly nothing stopping from 'censoring' something...
In any GTA I have never beaten up a virtual prostitute, I mean I get that it is there though. Basically in every GTA game I drive fast and crash my car in ridiculous ways. Its a video game, its not real life, although it does paint a picture of how absurd real society is, and ramps it up.

even though i agree with all of that, and those are all good reasons, i don't agree with the fact that this should even be being discussed. it's censorship. the game is rated M for mature, no other media gets this treatment of freedom of expression. it's their right to make the game they want to make, and my right to play it, conversation ends there.

573 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo