Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 1184 (Pro)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
20. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 26, 2015, 20:43 Slick

By the looks of the reveal this game is designed for consoles, not PC. That's all you need to understand how "fast" this game will play.

If you design a game to be used with a controller, then that gets rid of sub-500ms TTK encounters entirely. let alone designing multiplayer, if people got fragged as fast as they do in a real PC FPS, then playing with a controller would be maddeningly frustrating.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
13. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 26, 2015, 17:22 Slick

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2015, 15:13:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 26, 2015, 14:01:
I decent, COOP is far more important than single player alone.

Lmao, this is id. It's not like they are a bastion of single player greatness. I'll just go ahead and puke now before someone tries to pretend id is a great story teller. Puke Hahaha_no

Decent? Dissent?

i think he's referring to Descent, a much better SP game than anyone from ID has ever put together

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Universal Jul 26, 2015, 17:15 Slick

localhost rofl!  

News Comments > Steam Top 10ish
4. Re: Steam Top 10ish Jul 26, 2015, 17:11 Slick

there's a livestream from the PS4 twitch right now with a team who's competing in the ESL tournament, it's so fucking crazy how good these guys are. all they do is "head butt" the ball, and are essentially just flying through the air at all times. the ball rarely hits the ground, it's unreal. and they all play their positions...

so impressed to see this level of play from a game that's a month old. i have alot of fun playing it, but my skill level doesn't even register with what i'm seeing these pros pull off consistently.

News Comments > Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts
44. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 20, 2015, 08:42 Slick

you're kidding right? you know how much 10 GB of data to upload costs on a commercial scale? tenths of a cent. you think that this cost is higher than going from 33% profit, to 3% profit? you think that steam's storefront is worth 90 percent of your profits?

something tells me you weren't good at math in school

42. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 20, 2015, 05:33 Slick

killer_roach wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 19:07:
EA seems to still be fighting with Steam over the fact that they don't want to pay Valve 30% of DLC sold on Steam, that they feel that it's their software selling the DLC and not the service. Don't see that being a winning strategy, but they're free to be stubborn.

not having to pay a competitor %30 of gross... (much higher than %30 of profits), you don't see that as a winning strategy?

So if it cost you $10 to develop a game, and your sales are $15, then you have a %33 profit margin. If you put it on steam, it goes from %33 to %3 profits. Or from $5 to 45 cents. I'd say that's a good enough reason to sell your own damn games.

Unless you really really like the idea of handing the lion's share of all your hard work to your biggest competitor Rolleyes

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2015, 05:40.

23. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 19, 2015, 17:42 Slick

mrBallistic wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 17:35:
maybe they'll actually rebuild origin, the app, to actually follow modern ui processes and respect os-level font/scaling choices. you know, so you can actually read it if you have a 4k display. i'm amazed at how lousy the experience of origin is on an actual aspirational gaming rig.

really? origin on my 4k monitor looks fine. Steam is the one that looks hilariously blocky.

20. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 19, 2015, 17:17 Slick

this is dumb.

it's already changed from "EA Downloader" to "Origin"

i kinda liked the name origin, it was a shameless rebrand yes, but it didn't have "EA" anywhere in it, and felt less corporate.

now they're going back to EA whatever... why?

News Comments > What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die
12. Re: What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die Jul 16, 2015, 23:33 Slick

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 22:40:
Well screw that studio and their stupid game. Like I would ever spend a dime on such a stupid premise.

spoken like a true Neanderthal

News Comments > What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die
10. Re: What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die Jul 16, 2015, 21:37 Slick

ViRGE wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 20:39:
Slick wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 20:10:
now flame on my pretties, flame on and tell me that this isn't the way online MP works.
You'll get no argument that you need lots of players to have a vibrant MP community.

But Vogelsap isn't pulling the plug based on the number of people playing. They're pulling the plug based on when a certain number of people die. At least as far as I understand it, you can have a ton of people playing the game and still reach "the end" because enough people have died.

Well, you don't need LOTS of players to have a vibrant community, I have no issues with games with a low initial world population, as long as my servers are full i'm having fun. but it's when you can't find a server on your continent anymore that it's time to pull the plug. BF:H for instance I can only find 3-4 populated NA servers, and that's on a Saturday afternoon... :/ If they made that game only last online for 6 months, with a definite beginning, middle, and end, the server population could have been higher for those 6 months, and the total satisfaction I think would have been higher.

I'm all for finite high quality videogames, I don't need 300 hours of grind to have fun, or to feel like I got my $ worth. MP games included. It would be nice to have the few hours i do end up playing them seem more important somehow, this seems to be the first crack at conquering that.

As for Vogelsap, we'll have to wait and see exactly what the numbers are. someone suggested the number might be huge, so it could still be going for years to come... it seems like a delicate balance, as if it's hugely popular it could be over in a month, if no one buys it, the ones to do will never see the ending. If i were them i'd keep that "number" a secret until sales figures are pouring in, then give it a 6 month lifespan.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. in the time between the beta of a good game, and actually getting to play it, it's like waiting for Christmas. i'd be okay if they brought that back, try to get everyone online in the same time chunks instead of a slow burn for infinity. i'm sure there's lots of gameplay things you could do with a system like that too, beyond community challenges etc.

7. Re: What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die Jul 16, 2015, 20:10 Slick

yeah, it would be much better to have MP slowly die out until there's 12 people globally who still play it. Thumbsdown

Multiplayer is temporal, it's nice that a developer can acknowledge it, and try to work with it. Seems like an interesting concept.

People have this retarded need to know that they can go back any play something 20 years old online, but that online community has long since moved on. The memory of what made it great isn't just glossed over with nostalgia, it's LITERALLY not there anymore, those people aren't there anymore. The players who made that ONLINE experience so much fun, aren't playing anymore. the experience is gone.

Shit some games only last a couple months, (or a couple weeks, BF:H and Evolve i'm looking at you) before the online community entirely shits the bucket. And after it's gone, that seems to always be it, I've never seen an online community really revived to it's heyday performance. Enjoy it while it's there, you'll get bored of it as everyone else will and move on to the next thing.

now flame on my pretties, flame on and tell me that this isn't the way online MP works.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
11. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 16, 2015, 15:27 Slick

having a job lined up right after graduating = priceless

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. removed Jul 15, 2015, 19:30 Slick

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 16, 2015, 07:10.

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2015, 02:29 Slick

Axis wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 22:32:
First it's not a fresh idea, just a streaming game service. Second, net neutrality had nothing to do with it.

alright, let me break down the play-by-play for our denser board members:

1) Comcast spends the last year saying how if the definition of broadband increases from 4mbps to 25mbps, and if they have to enforce net neutrality, then that will "stifle innovation". You don't have to look far to find it, they've been plastering it on every discussion about this debate for a long time.

2) Ruling comes down in favour of the people, and "against" these poor ISPs who now can only make 96% profit instead of %98 profit. ISPs tell us that they will have to slow down all future projects and initiatives as they just don't have the money anymore. they claim to halt expansion deployment plans, and say they aren't going to further high ultra high speed connectivity.

3) Within a week Comcast has announced TV and Game streaming, which yes, is new for an ISP, almost some kind of "innovation" in the otherwise stagnant ISP market. Which is odd, because for the last 20 years Comcast hasn't done much more than provide lackluster connectivity through shitty customer service for high prices. And now they're tackling 2 new markets, months after this doomsday FCC ruling that we were told would "stifle innovation"? Oh, I think they just announced competitive pricing for 2Gbps service too, about $150.

4) post ironic observation on bluesnews, awaiting someone responding who can re-affirm hilariousness

5) lose faith in humanity

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC
41. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 21:39 Slick

ViRGE wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 18:23:
Slick wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:37:
i'll never understand the "thrill" of fighting against bots. unless you have no internet connection...

[...]

Playing against bots in a big fps game like battlefield/battlefront (40 man servers is still big, don't get your panties in a twist, 32-48 man BF servers are always the sweet spot) is like swimming against a pack of quadropleds. it doesn't really offer any satisfaction in the victory.
Think of it as playing Super Mario Bros. You're not playing against another person, but there are enemies and you defeat them as part of the gameplay. Sometimes you just want to stomp on a Goomba... with a flak cannon. It's not the same thing and I don't think anyone is saying otherwise, but it's still its own kind of enjoyable experience.

It's an enjoyable experience like mike tyson boxing against an 8 year old with cerebral palsy is an enjoyable experience. i'm sure part of it feels good to whoops against something which can't really fight back, but it's a very hollow feeling.

Also Mario maybe isn't the best analogy, as it's a strictly SP game. MP game with bots is not an SP game. it's MP without any of the parts which make MP games good.

I used to jump in a walker in 2142 and rape bots for 5 minutes when my internet would go down back in the day, but after 50 bots killed, it really loses the fun value.

I'm not fundamentaly against bots, i just think that AI has a REALLY long way to go to make them enjoyable, particularly in a big open-ended game with lots of options/decisions on how to play it. Bots in Q3A work fine, you just have to move and shoot.

I'm secretly hoping that DX12, which will free up a lot of CPU cycles will magically spur on a renaissance in AI development. Or just populate the game with 10,000 NPCs who are dumb as a post...

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 21:31 Slick

it's so strange how comcast was saying how the recent ruling by the FCC would hinder it's abilities to innovate, and bring fresh ideas to the market.

now they have a game streaming service, and a tv streaming service announced in the span of one week.

i think what they meant to say was: "net neutrality would prevent us from not innovating or coming up with one fresh idea in decades"

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC
16. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 13:37 Slick

i'll never understand the "thrill" of fighting against bots. unless you have no internet connection...

I think we've killed enough SP bots in our lives in this thread alone to constitute a virtual war crime, I personally can live without any more of it.

There's just such a wide swath of different gameplay that AI just can't grasp, at least not yet, that doesn't make it "fun" to play against. If i get genuinely out-smarted by a human playing online, it's fun for me, I LEARN something, and it's a refreshing experience, knowing that that kind of play is possible.

Bots can do *alright* in small arena-style FPS games, but in battlefield-sized games it's just awful. you can't emulate the 100 different possibilities at any given moment for a player to do. they just run around and shoot, they don't wait for backup, flank, do the "okie doke" as i call it; when you pretend you don't notice you're spotted until you dissapear around a corner, only to immediately jump back around the corner and drop them following you. which vehicle seat to jump in, there's just so much shit to do in big games like that, that AI is nowhere near good at. It just ruins the whole thing for me.

Playing against bots in a big fps game like battlefield/battlefront (40 man servers is still big, don't get your panties in a twist, 32-48 man BF servers are always the sweet spot) is like swimming against a pack of quadropleds. it doesn't really offer any satisfaction in the victory.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2015, 15:44 Slick

J wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 11:28:
Duke Nukem says hi

duke nukem forever = 15 years

SC = so far less than 3

next time try to math better. also troll better.

News Comments > Some Heroes of the Storm Bans Reversed
6. Re: Some Heroes of the Storm Bans Reversed Jul 11, 2015, 15:42 Slick

Krowen wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 15:33:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 15:01:
Krowen wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 12:23:
This is why you don't be a dick that assumes everyone who is banned is a cheater. All of the people in the discussion yesterday doing that now look like fools.

Yeah, no. The MAJORITY were still dirty, shitty cheaters.

You had no idea then and no idea now how many were, that's the point.

bluesnews, home to "speculation as absolute fact" since 1997

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Patch Issues
5. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Patch Issues Jul 9, 2015, 13:50 Slick

MajorD wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 11:49:
I can confirm both: Stuttering and I am missing two cars from one of my garages.

Can anyone confirm or deny this: There is now a voting button to kick a player for any reason, which I don't recall being there before this latest patch. WTF?! Voting/kicking a player in a Grand Theft game goes against the grain of what GTA is, because that is what 'free mode' is all about in the game isn't it - anything goes?

So WTF Rockstar, instead off addressing the HUGE hacking issue in your game, you decide to just band aid it with a vagina button?

My confidence in RockStar is slowly slipping away....

lol, you can't be mad at hackers AND at having a kickvote option.

one is kind of the solution for the other...

well-moderated servers are always the first line of defense against hackers. never rely on some algorithm to ban hackers for you, all it takes is a kickvote and allspeak... and a server of gamers who can read

1184 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo