Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 286 (Amateur)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > John Carmack's Son's Game
12. Re: John Carmack's Son's Game Aug 19, 2014, 01:03 Slick

bigspender wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 20:52:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 20:41:
Clever kid and proof that intelligence is inheritable. So if you're stupid, you're fucked.

I'd say it has more to do with having parents that actually engage with their child - instead of buying a massive SUV to protect their precious little babies, and then letting their brains rot in front of the telly for 18 years.

Genes would come in only at the olympic level.

it's quite unequivocal, parents who buy sport utility vehicles have retarded kids. if only the dumb kid was huffing off the tailpipe of a prius, he might have had a chance to grow up with an iota of intelligence.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Aug 15, 2014, 03:25 Slick

wow, yahtzee actually enjoyed firefall

as do i!

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 15, 2014, 01:55 Slick

AHAHAHAHAAH

pc port of watchdogs still has the worst positive and negative mouse acceleration i've ever seen, even after 3 patches it hasn't even been addressed.

I swear no one from ubi has ever actually played the pc version of watchdogs. waste of money. if i wanted to play using a gimped control scheme i'd buy it for ps4.

News Comments > Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust
15. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 20:17 Slick

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 19:00:
Fly wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 17:22:
That's my commentary, and if you think otherwise, gtfo of PC gaming.

Okay, cliffy.

ZING

I happen to totally agree with him, i guess i'm Cliffy too?

since when was stealing socially acceptable? the fuck? i mean, i do use torrentz if there's no demo or beta etc. but then i buy the game.

imo if they just brought back shareware we'd not only have better games, but happier consumers. killing shareware was one of the most anti-consumer moves in pc gaming history.

News Comments > Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust
5. Re: Boss Key Looking to Re-earn Trust Aug 9, 2014, 14:26 Slick

yeah well, UE has some major issues on PC, considering half the games i played in the last decade are based on that engine.

how many times have you guy had to tweak the MaxSmoothFrames or whatever setting in the engine.conf? and oh wait, everything is laid bare you can change anything in there! so either you have the option to lock everything down so that no one can even make use of their 120 FPS monitor, or give them rudimentary access such a basic PC feature as not being hardcapped at 62 FPS, and then anyone can change any number of things if they're smart enough to give them a competitive advantage in MP.

why those things were in the same file i'll never know, and who knows if they've even changed it with UE4.

such a pain in the ass, EVERY, SINGLE, PC PORT

News Comments > Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs
23. Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Roaming onto PCs Aug 7, 2014, 15:00 Slick

buy now and get access to 4k resolution gaming! *4k monitor sold seperately

i can't wait to see what textures built to be displayed at 792p will look like stretched to 4k!

also, i'm pretty sure that EVERY PC game can do 4k, it's just a resolution. that's like saying that your now game can do 8k resolution! yeah, if you have an 8k TV lol.

buy DooM now and receive a free upgrade to 1280x1024 graphics! only on DooM!

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Aug 3, 2014, 17:29 Slick

Sepharo wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 12:25:
Haha:
"One gamer even reported hearing someone constantly whispering ‘death’ for a few days."

They didn't explain in the article, but that has to be from Black and White. I don't think I was hearing it, but it's one of those goofy sound effects I still remember and occasionally look up online.

LOL!

the moment i read this, my bring was immediately recalling that "death" line from black and white, in full dolby hi-fi surround baby!

certain sounds are just memorable. I'll always remember the sound that demons spawning from the end boss of DooM 2 make when they shoot out from his head. like a "ski-schochhhhhh" you hear it in movies occasionally.

I've done some sound design, and most of the sounds we hear are part of industry insider collections of sounds that are all not often replaced. So the art is how you layer and edit them to make something new. Wouldn't be surprised if most of the effect sounds you hear are all part of some 80's hollywood sound designers CD collection

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Aug 3, 2014, 17:17 Slick

whoever said mime was dead?  

News Comments > TOXIKK Announced
13. Re: TOXIKK Announced Aug 3, 2014, 02:50 Slick

well i guess i'll just have to fap over this debut trailer a few more times... who am i kidding, re-installing shootmania now...  

News Comments > TOXIKK Announced
11. Re: TOXIKK Announced Aug 2, 2014, 14:18 Slick

UT took alot of cues from quake, but by the time they hit UT3, it was pretty far from quake. where in quake (aside from mods) did you ever see vehicular gameplay? battlefield-sized levels? hitching a ride on a buggy by leashing your hoverboard to it? not exactly quake.

also, the weapons look very UT, not quake. again where in quake is there the nuke launcher (near the end of this video)?

also it looks like it's using the unreal engine, which would also make it look a little closer to, well unreal.

great news for me, as UT4 looked like an office joke inside Epic. duhh, let's just let the community tell us what to do, we don't know what we're doing anymore with this franchise. what's that saying? a camel is an animal designed by committee?

my only question is which package to purchase.

any word if this is UE3 or UE4?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Titanfall: Frontier's Edge
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall: Frontier's Edge Aug 1, 2014, 01:10 Slick

this game needs to keep it's weapons and abilities more in-line with a competitive shooter, and it would take off. 6v6 arena style FPS game could make waves.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Aug 1, 2014, 01:08 Slick

still waiting to play that game, which i bought for PC.

won't touch it until they fix the mouse.

craziest amount of positive and negative acceleration i think i've ever seen in a PC port. someone should have told these guys that on occation, PC players like to use a mouse instead of a controller.

News Comments > No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers
11. Re: No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers Jul 28, 2014, 23:51 Slick

Endo wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 23:14:
No sympathy from me. The video game industry was built by people making games in their spare time and giving them away for free. Only once you've established yourself should you expect to be able to make a living doing this. Until then, don't quit your day job. That's how entertainment works. ESPECIALLY now with a billion and one games available and more being released every day.

yeah, well, just because there are other artists giving their wares away for free, doesn't mean that you should starve for yours.

this IS their day job. you think that running a game studio is a part-time hobby?

this entitlement when it comes to not paying for art is definitely a western thing, european audiences are much more likely to pay for art than a north american.

all that being said, they did sign the deal, so they should have gone through with it, they aren't going to sell MORE copies with this move, it's just bad business. but they definitely DO have my sympathy.

News Comments > Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
4. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 10:13 Slick

his first mistake was making a videogame development studio and expecting to still operate in a reality where etiquette is still a thing. people can't accept that they bought an unfinished product, so now they're angry because they got what they bought.

everything is backwards. you can literally never do anything right without dealing with at least a certain vocal minority shitting all over you in the gaming space. it's filled with indignant self-righteous children.

the only examples which change that dynamic are blizzard and bungie games, which people will defend with their lives. haveyou guys heard that Diablo 3 just decided to buff 2-handed weapons! PRAISE BLIZZARD AND THEIR 2.5 YEAR LAPSE OF JUDGEMENT. OR Destiny, have you guys heard that boarderlands is now in a post-apocalyptic hellscape setting, with less guns, less character progression, less co-op party members, and it's now called Destiny? PRAISE BUNGIE FOR DUPLICATING SOMETHING WE ALREADY HAVE THEN CLAIMING THAT IT'S THE MOST AMBITIOUS SHIFT IN GAMING EVER!

News Comments > ShootMania Platform Beta Demo
2. Re: ShootMania Platform Beta Demo Jul 28, 2014, 02:14 Slick

Hump wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 19:47:
Thought this game was horseshit when I viewed the original gameplay videos but after messing with the demo I found myself really enjoying it after a short time. Too bad the community doesn't have a 10th of the population of Trackmania.....

yup, it would be nice to have at least one good custom map server that was populated in NA... i have a feeling i'd probaby be alot better without the lag

News Comments > Crytek Gets Funds for "Transitional Phase"
31. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 27, 2014, 19:47 Slick

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 18:37:
Slick wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 11:07:
HOOO BOY.

crysis 2 was an improvement over crysis 1? graphics were better? farcry 2 and 3 had better graphics!? you need to go back to crysis and actually finish it. or don't who cares.
I absolutely stand by my statement. Crysis really wasn't as impressive as people like to make out.

Slick wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 11:07:
as i've said, Crysis's only problem was that it was released too soon.
Or that it lacked any gameplay. It was just a giant sandbox shooter.

Kajetan wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 08:51:
I find both lacking ... well, but Crytek was never known for good gameplay design. They do tech. Nothing else. Becoming a game developer was not the brightest idea, because they had no game design talent. And they hired only mediocre game design talent. There is no vision in Cryteks games, no clear gameplay design. They just make the game up, as they go along and scrap everything they build for the next game, even in the same game. Do you really remember Far Cry? Playing on this beautiful island, battling mercenaries and suddenly these stupid monsters in corridors and this absurd, grotesque and just lazy designed end fight?
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it was a classic. The dialogue was extremely cheesy, the checkpoints annoying and the ending was terrible. But in terms of overall games it had the better package.

What annoyed me about Crysis is that Crytek learned absolutely nothing from Far Cry. The biggest complaint was the ending and the supernatural shit, so what do they do? They replace mutants with aliens. Not only that but North Koreans as the enemy? What a joke. When I first heard about Crysis I was excited, until I read about the aliens and North Koreans. At with Crysis 2 they actually put in a narrative and had decent voice acting, even if they were still limited by the generic premise.

it's funny how you say how little dialogue, a silly premise, alien invasions, and armed guards to kill is = terrible game with no gameplay

perhaps you should revisit Half Life then re-appraise your words.

25. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 26, 2014, 11:07 Slick

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 08:03:
Crysis was a poorly optimised tech engine with utterly mediocre gameplay. I've tried to complete it on numerous occasions but I just find it tedious. Far Cry was the better game.

As for Crysis 2, it was definitely an improvement. The suit powers were streamlined and the narrative was decent, even if nothing original. The biggest criticism is that it didn't make use of open environment, so it felt a bit restrictive. The graphics were better, plus the game was much better optimised.

The problem with the Crysis series is that Ubisoft surpassed it with Far Cry 2 and 3, which had better graphics, better gameplay and better narratives.

HOOO BOY.

crysis 2 was an improvement over crysis 1? graphics were better? farcry 2 and 3 had better graphics!? you need to go back to crysis and actually finish it. or don't who cares.

the gameplay and multiplayer of crysis was tight, just not for everyone who enjoyed using real tactics in their MP gameplay. most people didn't even know that using MAX POWER your accuracy got twice as good, as your muscles absorbed the recoil much better, however now you were a glowing red target for your enemies.

I've been playing Crysis MP for years, the suit power switching is much more satisfying than the console-centric CRysis 2 and 3, which were basterdizations of the franchise and a big step DOWN graphics and technology-wise.

as i've said, Crysis's only problem was that it was released too soon.

18. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 23:10 Slick

I also remember the day I received my shareware copy of Wolfenstein 3D, and I still put Crysis up there against it, DooM, Half-Life, painkiller.

Crysis has a special place in my heart, it was bigger than life in many ways, and the campaign is probably the last single-player FPS experience that has stayed with me so vividly.

10. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 19:08 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 18:30:
Yeah I always thought it was delusional when they would talk about Crysis being this huge franchise, the whole nano-suit thing always felt more like a gimmick to explain the gameplay mechanic of having god like powers.

When they did the multiplayer beta for Crysis 1 it just felt completely off, people were giving suggestions on how to improve the game but it was this whole awkward feeling of trying to be Battlefield like with vehicles and yet you are a one man army so no need for squads filling up specific tasks and vehicles didn't belong when you could just nano-speed-boost around the map on foot.

Hiring some bigwig sci-fi author to write the story for Crysis 2, really? That story was so generic anyone could come up with it on the back of a napkin while eating pizza and drinking beer. I think they even did a toy line tie in with Crysis 3.

It all went to their head in a bad way.

agreed. the fiction of Crysis 1 actually managed to steal the show for me in a way that hasn't been accomplished since Half-Life.

Shame that was squandered when they did Crysis 2: Call of Dookie.

their problem was releasing Crysis 1 too early, no one could play it adequately with the shit hardware (comparatively) at the time, so no one bought it. They needed to pull a HL2 where they kept delaying the launch until the market was right for it. Crysis could have been a household name, but they were too ambitious.

Still, Crysis 1 is one of the best classic FPS games ever made.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jul 19, 2014, 09:18 Slick

i really hope that the SP in future BF games becomes a hybrid kinda like what titanfall did, except with pure bots.

developers really underestimate how much fun massacreing hoardes of AI bots in an FPS game is. I really shouldn't have to keep going back to playing painkiller to get that fix, it's 2014.

286 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo