Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 924 (Graduate)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 18, 2015, 05:04 Slick

isn't the 380x due out soon? like an announcement this month? am i mistaken?

*nm, 2 months, that's one wiiiide IO baby

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2015, 05:18.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Patches
4. Re: Evening Patches Apr 18, 2015, 04:55 Slick

where's the real FOV patch? i don't think lensing the shitty console FOV counts. it looks awful.

and how about the persistant mouse lag?

how the fuck this this game pass QA? 19 months AFTER launching the game... and 5 years beforehand... and no one tried this game on a PC at rockstar once

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Date Announced
4. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Announced Apr 17, 2015, 17:37 Slick

if it's anything like previous titles in the franchise, there will absolutely be a melee class (with a ranged side arm). and the way the heros work is when your team is %50 of the way towards the team goal (ie. 150 tickets in a 300 ticket server) then the #1 scoring player on that team gets an on-screen prompt asking if they'd like to redeploy as a hero. The heros are usually map-dependent, so looks like Vader would be on Endor for the empire side. Once the hero dies, that's it for that map/round/whatever. It's just a bit of fun, having %200 health, and some powerful abilities, but not above getting stomped by 3 enemies who know what they're doing.

This is all speculation on my part, but at least it's grounded in precedent.

those explosions look fucking tits tho.

*pre-ordered* (don't hate me, i'm a huge battlefront guy, and SW:BF3's demise many years ago has left a blaster-sized hole in my heart)

DAMN, IT'S ABOUT TIME

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V
70. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 15, 2015, 00:33 Slick

Quboid wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 10:58:
I'm getting frequent crashes with an error about a failed zlib call. When it works, it works well. I can get 60 FPS at 1440p and most settings on highest (but no MSAA), although I haven't been involved in a big fire-fight yet. Intel i7 3.5Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 970 3.5GB, Windows 8.1.

If I was going to upgrade my system for GTA5, I'd buy another SSD and install it there.

i had the same issue, reinstall fixed it. I originally preloaded the game to a platter hard drive, then realised what a fool i'd been, and tried steam's "backup feature", which compresses the local files, then can decompress them elsewhere. so i deleted the original install, then decompressed the backup to my SSD, and then i was getting that zlib error, after about 5-15 minutes of gametime, everytime.

i re-downloaded the whole schboingle, hopefully that works for ya

i didn't have any duplicate files, and all of my filesizes for those big files seemed to be correct, so i didn't have any leads to just re-download specific files, so i just nuked it all

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
187. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 14, 2015, 02:05 Slick

still visually sub-par compared against watch dogs (with the worse mod). Hopefully some clever mods unlock some real fidelity for GTA V. It just looks like an up-rezzed last gen console game. which is exactly what it is.

Anyone other trainspotters spy the super weird texture LOD thing with every object about 4-5m infront of you? It's like an utterly broken anisotropic texture filtering, it goes from hi rez to uber low rez with no feathering/blending tricks at all, it's very distracting, but easy enough to forget about if you're driving around.

what i want to know is how to get rid of the mouse lag? the PS4 version had such crazy amounts of input lag, that i was expecting this, but it's still not perfect. It's just so hard for me, as an FPS player, to have to settle with shitty FPS controls, that's why i play on PC.

although to be fair, it's still light years better to the mouse support on watch dogs for PC, that game STILL has just insane amounts of neg/pos acceleration that you can't turn off. it's pathetic.

87. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 18:04 Slick

..although what I didn't consider is the simultaneous global launch, that could throw a big wrench into the works...

less than 1 hour! chekc this http://mafro.ca/v/ in the top right it shows the % of how long PC gamers have waited since the first teaser was announced back in 2011. we're 99.99% the way there!

ugh, off to play some Rainbow Six: Siege I suppose! who else has pizzas on the way? *edit FUCK! the alpha ended!? NOOOOOOO

86. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 17:52 Slick

%10 of PC gamers is alot! i think this is an inflated projection.

The main reason being that many of these gamers have probably already played GTA V in the last 17 months. We've had many chances, 2 generations of consoles, and i'm sure anyone who didn't play it managed to convince a friend to borrow the console for a week to try it out. It's just that kind of game.

The PC version is like the ultimate collectors special hyper mega remix edition. It's best-of-the-best, but imo will only attract a certain fraction of the total userbase interested in playing the game.

There was a year+ when there was no announced PC version at all, so anyone who wanted to play the game, would have definitely been trying to get their hands on a console version, I know I did.

i have to imagine that a large portion of people who have been A) interested in playing this game from the beginning, and B) already played the console versions, and C) are still planning on re-buying the PC version, would probably wait for a steam sale.

84. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 17:14 Slick

yeah, Vegas odds would definitely be favouring a few servers melting, however I've always been one to play against those odds

I'd like to see what the real PC numbers are looking like, if anyone has a link. I've seen it on the top 10 steam DLs for months now, which is a good indication of performance, but we could still be talking about a few hundred thousand, not tens of millions.

80. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 16:51 Slick

I'm not sure why your consensus is assuming that the PC launch will be the one to destroy all of their server backends that they've been developing for the last 17 months.

The original launch on 360 and PS3 would have been the killer launch, bigger numbers than the PS4/Xbone launch and the PC launch combined. Plus the fact that it was 0-day for that first launch, and their servers were scrambling. Today's launch will be the smallest by numbers, and also the most well-prepared.

there could be hitches, but i wouldn't blink if it was hitch-less

76. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 16:29 Slick

alright just pre-ordered, fashionably late as always. i already own it for PS4, but the thought of seeing some of you punters online is worth the price of admission.

I just joined the blues steam group, let's fuck shit up! I'll be doing MP at launch, as i've already played the SP campaign. Do we have any grand plans?

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer
8. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer Apr 10, 2015, 20:31 Slick

Task wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 20:07:

The most common swearing 'insult' is "whoreson" in that universe, or "c--t" and "bastard".

twat's that? i cunt hear you!

News Comments > Free Elder Scrolls Online Weekend for Beta Players
13. Re: Free Elder Scrolls Online Weekend for Beta Players Apr 8, 2015, 23:59 Slick

with all of the $60 games that will hold your attention for 8-10 hours maybe out there... this one is already a value proposition for the cost of admission.

If people didn't freakout about about more expensive games, i'd say they should be charging $100 for this pay2play version. It would be a sort of tip of the hat to those who only paid $60 and subbed, while still offering value for the $100 option.

flame on

News Comments > Nobody's Fool 2015 Part One
13. Re: Nobody's Fool 2015 Part One Apr 1, 2015, 21:13 Slick

"It's a departure for the series," Activision CEO Robert Kotick admitted. "But after twelve years and eleven games the well was kind of running dry. What were we going to do? Release another mild evolution in the series with slightly better graphics, newer guns and more enemies to kill? Who'd want to play that?"

is it april fool's day? or "long look in the mirror" day?

News Comments > StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Beta Begins
11. Re: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Beta Begins Apr 1, 2015, 21:08 Slick

WOW

those are some serious balance tweaks.

siege tanks can be deployed in siege mode from medivac?

immortals have no more hardened shield?

battlecruisers can warp anywhere in the map instantly? EVEN IN FOG OF WAR?

banshee gets faster movement speed AND +1 range?

carrier's interceptors can now fly AWAY from the carrier? at great range?

if anyone has a space beta key, i'd make good use of it, PM me!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
35. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 28, 2015, 00:19 Slick

there's a lot of uninformed people in this thread...

might want to go back and do some research instead of idle gossip when you obviously didn't bother to learn anything about the facts that precipitated the rise of steam as a service.

honestly i'm surprised that apparently I'm the only one who'd been paying attention in the years leading up to Steam's launch...

it's fucking 1984 up in here, are we at war with eurasia or eastasia?

32. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 03:22 Slick

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 10:15:
1) The only reason Valve succeeds is GabeN had the foresight to introduce a digital distribution platform first.

2) And unfortunately their anti-consumerist policies are in lockstep with the big pubs who won't sell their games anywhere else.

1) Developers being able to self-publish wasn't a fantasy limited to Valve. They were just the first to gamble a boat load of money on a favorable outcome against a giant multinational. Developers cutting out 3rd party publishers has long been a pipe dream of game developers.

2) Does Valve sell any of their games anywhere else? Pretty sure you need Steam to play any Valve game made in the last 10 years. Developers being able to self-publish was the whole *point* of Valve's epic legal battle. Why should Ubisoft hand %30 of the gross from the games THEY DEVELOPED over to a 3rd party? it's just as silly as selling HL2 on Origin. You know who I should hand %30 of gross over to? My main competitors. LOL. (for those who don't understand the implication, %30 of gross translates to a MUCH HIGHER percentage of their actual profits)

31. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 03:13 Slick

DrSquick wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 10:50:
Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 10:15:
Valve's 'perfect hiring' hierarchy has 'hidden management' clique like high school

The only reason Valve succeeds is GabeN had the foresight to introduce a digital distribution platform first. If there were any real competition to Steam today it'd be a very different story. Valve is a terrible company IMO regardless of how much they make. And unfortunately their anti-consumerist policies are in lockstep with the big pubs who won't sell their games anywhere else. Going forward with any future crowdfunding it should be a requirement - set by consumers - that they obtain their end product either portal free entirely - direct DL from the dev - or on a good service like GoG.

You know what I've been thinking about lately? How did Steam make the first move, because there were so many others that could have done it first. For example, do you remember Gamespy? Before it was a crappy website, it was essentially the only multiplayer server finder. Can you imagine if they had the foresight to start offering games for sale digitally? It would have been a natural fit - I already use Gamespy every day to find servers to play on for these 30 games, why don't I just buy my game here too.

how has this not been properly addressed in this thread yet?

Valve sued their publisher in a drawn-out 4 year legal battle that almost bankrupted them. Before the ruling in their favour, developers could not self-publish, they could only use a 3rd party publisher. Which in Valve's case was Vivendi (the French mega corp who's know for sealing off African villages water supplies, then sends trucks around to sell water for $5 a barrel).

The verdict is historic, because it set precedent that any developer can self publish. Valve now find themselves playing the 3rd party corporation, who has nothing to do with development, who takes the lion's share of profits. The irony is so think you could spread it over toast. At least they're not morally bankrupt like Vivendi, they're just savvy capitalists.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2015, 03:28.

News Comments > GOG.Com on Customer Service
25. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 26, 2015, 02:04 Slick

350 tickets per day for ONE rep to answer...

you say you're as frustrated as anyone else with steam's customer service, then concede a blank cheque because they're so big so why even try?

valve employs 200 people, and pretty much owns PC gaming. other services have far less customers, and yet somehow provide service that's light years ahead of them.

it's not even worth comparing, it hurts my brain to even conceive a universe where: "it's not steam's fault for having shitty customer service, they have too many customers!" last i checked, having too many customers is a "problem" that every business on earth is envious of.

If steam employs %10 of their 200 (wo)man workforce in customer service, then that's 20 people. you know what a good start would be? hire 1 more employee and improve customer service by a whole %5

23. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 26, 2015, 01:17 Slick

Placid wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 01:05:
I would still prefer a demo for a game I am considering purchasing.

that's why god invented piracy in all of his infinite wisdom. just buy if you end up playing it. it's not rocket science, just requires a conscience.

22. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 26, 2015, 01:15 Slick

*slow clap*

Tychus Findlay: "It's about damn time"

924 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo