Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 910 (Graduate)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
35. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 28, 2015, 00:19 Slick

there's a lot of uninformed people in this thread...

might want to go back and do some research instead of idle gossip when you obviously didn't bother to learn anything about the facts that precipitated the rise of steam as a service.

honestly i'm surprised that apparently I'm the only one who'd been paying attention in the years leading up to Steam's launch...

it's fucking 1984 up in here, are we at war with eurasia or eastasia?

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 03:22 Slick

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 10:15:
1) The only reason Valve succeeds is GabeN had the foresight to introduce a digital distribution platform first.

2) And unfortunately their anti-consumerist policies are in lockstep with the big pubs who won't sell their games anywhere else.

1) Developers being able to self-publish wasn't a fantasy limited to Valve. They were just the first to gamble a boat load of money on a favorable outcome against a giant multinational. Developers cutting out 3rd party publishers has long been a pipe dream of game developers.

2) Does Valve sell any of their games anywhere else? Pretty sure you need Steam to play any Valve game made in the last 10 years. Developers being able to self-publish was the whole *point* of Valve's epic legal battle. Why should Ubisoft hand %30 of the gross from the games THEY DEVELOPED over to a 3rd party? it's just as silly as selling HL2 on Origin. You know who I should hand %30 of gross over to? My main competitors. LOL. (for those who don't understand the implication, %30 of gross translates to a MUCH HIGHER percentage of their actual profits)

31. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 03:13 Slick

DrSquick wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 10:50:
Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 10:15:
Valve's 'perfect hiring' hierarchy has 'hidden management' clique like high school

The only reason Valve succeeds is GabeN had the foresight to introduce a digital distribution platform first. If there were any real competition to Steam today it'd be a very different story. Valve is a terrible company IMO regardless of how much they make. And unfortunately their anti-consumerist policies are in lockstep with the big pubs who won't sell their games anywhere else. Going forward with any future crowdfunding it should be a requirement - set by consumers - that they obtain their end product either portal free entirely - direct DL from the dev - or on a good service like GoG.

You know what I've been thinking about lately? How did Steam make the first move, because there were so many others that could have done it first. For example, do you remember Gamespy? Before it was a crappy website, it was essentially the only multiplayer server finder. Can you imagine if they had the foresight to start offering games for sale digitally? It would have been a natural fit - I already use Gamespy every day to find servers to play on for these 30 games, why don't I just buy my game here too.

how has this not been properly addressed in this thread yet?

Valve sued their publisher in a drawn-out 4 year legal battle that almost bankrupted them. Before the ruling in their favour, developers could not self-publish, they could only use a 3rd party publisher. Which in Valve's case was Vivendi (the French mega corp who's know for sealing off African villages water supplies, then sends trucks around to sell water for $5 a barrel).

The verdict is historic, because it set precedent that any developer can self publish. Valve now find themselves playing the 3rd party corporation, who has nothing to do with development, who takes the lion's share of profits. The irony is so think you could spread it over toast. At least they're not morally bankrupt like Vivendi, they're just savvy capitalists.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2015, 03:28.

News Comments > GOG.Com on Customer Service
25. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 26, 2015, 02:04 Slick

350 tickets per day for ONE rep to answer...

you say you're as frustrated as anyone else with steam's customer service, then concede a blank cheque because they're so big so why even try?

valve employs 200 people, and pretty much owns PC gaming. other services have far less customers, and yet somehow provide service that's light years ahead of them.

it's not even worth comparing, it hurts my brain to even conceive a universe where: "it's not steam's fault for having shitty customer service, they have too many customers!" last i checked, having too many customers is a "problem" that every business on earth is envious of.

If steam employs %10 of their 200 (wo)man workforce in customer service, then that's 20 people. you know what a good start would be? hire 1 more employee and improve customer service by a whole %5

23. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 26, 2015, 01:17 Slick

Placid wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 01:05:
I would still prefer a demo for a game I am considering purchasing.

that's why god invented piracy in all of his infinite wisdom. just buy if you end up playing it. it's not rocket science, just requires a conscience.

22. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 26, 2015, 01:15 Slick

*slow clap*

Tychus Findlay: "It's about damn time"

News Comments > Dungeons 2 Pre-Purchases
4. Re: Dungeons 2 Pre-Purchases Mar 24, 2015, 00:41 Slick

Oh shit Kalypso, they did tropico, I love that series  

News Comments > Dungeons 2 Pre-Purchases
2. Re: Dungeons 2 Pre-Purchases Mar 23, 2015, 23:42 Slick

how did i not know about this? this game looks to Dungeon Keeper the way Cities: Skyline is to SimCity

i'll def try before i buy, unless there's a demo, but this looks at first glance something which has the potential to fill a hole in my gaming life that's been void for far too long... i did fire up boxdox for DK2 not too long ago... still so addictive, so ahead of it's time

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2015, 14:06 Slick

Jivaro wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 11:16:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 10:43:
Shineyguy wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 10:01:
Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 09:51:
MLB 14 The Show support shutting down in June?

What the fuck? It's not even a year old yet. Holy shit Sony.

Sony is probably pulling an EA. Ending support for this game because it's yearly follow up is coming out soon.

Doesn't EA give more than a year?

Nope, not really. Sony and 2K don't either, this isn't new. I mean, there is some overlap sometimes but generally speaking the major publishers stop offering support, servers, updates, etc for their sports franchises the moment the next year's version comes out. Depending on the sports game sometimes you can continue to download user created content like rosters and playbooks...but even that will eventually expire as well.

I love my sports games but the downside of any purchase is that after one season your game will never be feature complete again.

the fuck are you on about?

care to cite one example of a game getting it's servers cut after one year?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 19, 2015, 00:04 Slick

This is what you get, when you combine a %900 increase from DX12 with a %1000 increase from Pascal  

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
74. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 23:56 Slick

Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 16:57:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 16:42:
Apologies, don't feel like reading all the posts on this topic. I'm guessing someone must have already said this..

But what exactly has Valve been doing for the past 5 years?

Well they've worked on a lot of different things - TF2, Dota 2, Source 2 apparently, Portal 2, etc. Just not a lot in terms of singular output I guess. I'd really like to see L4D3 soon and I don't mind waiting for HL3. Anything with a 3 really haha.

It must be nice to be in their position but I have to admit that they really earned it.

they didn't earn this, they got lucky. they took a big scary gamble in the form of a 4-year legal battle against their publisher. no one had ever done what they did, and many did not think it would succeed. but they won, and now that's all they do. Valve birthed Steam, now Steam has grow so large it has inadvertently swallowed up all real development like a black hole.

There is no Valve anymore, it's just Steam. The apprentice has eaten it's master.

News Comments > Steam EU Refunds Now Available [Updated]
44. Re: Steam EU Refunds Now Available [Updated] Mar 18, 2015, 17:06 Slick

well, the law has no effect on Steam whatsoever, but I think that consumer protections are similar in the USA where you have 15-30 days to return pretty much anything to a store and they have to accept it and give a refund. unless it's in pieces.

software is a different kettle of fish, but I think that if it's being sold on a DRM service like Steam (so you can't copy that floppy), then it should be protected. What makes software unique is that often, once you possess it, you can keep the install and return the disc if bought in-store, which requires consideration.

In fact, this is about the only reason to be in favour for DRM services like Steam. They are protected against you using the software if it's not licensed to your account, so you should have a reasonable window to return it. There's no reasonable answer as to why this isn't already in place.

+1 for consumer protections, especially when dealing with companies who just sell just about anything without any quality checks.

41. Re: Steam EU Refunds Now Available Mar 18, 2015, 16:46 Slick

apparently this rumour was started on reddit, and comes down to some random incorrectly interpreting very clear legalese  

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Mar 18, 2015, 15:02 Slick

LRR: "Well, then... can we just put our laundry in with yours? I mean have you smelled Donkey Kong's loincloth lately?"

ZOIDBERG: "yes."

35. Re: Steam EU Refunds Now Available Mar 18, 2015, 14:40 Slick

Kajetan wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 08:57:
THERE IS A REASON THOSE LEGAL TEXTS ARE FORMATTED LIKE THIS.

To make it hard to read.

caps are so overrated

also, i'm sure it's been mentioned, but you could pretty much finish any game in 14 days (or get sick of it) and then just return it.

i wonder if steam will see my VPN as European or not?

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Launch Prep
7. Re: Battlefield Hardline Launch Prep Mar 17, 2015, 18:47 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 04:10:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 01:00:
Part of me want to play it but after the original beta (mod) I haven't touched it since or payed attention.

I don't know if this one will have the longevity of previous battlefield games, I would expect to see it go on sale for around $40 in a month or two and by then hopefully the glitches and bugs will be reduced. I played some TDM tonight just to get a feel for the guns, to me it doesn't feel as fast to die as the beta for some reason - did they nerf the damage of the weapons? I know they did on the shotgun for sure. Of course on the PC everyone wants to go 64 player but the maps are a cross between too small and almost too large with the unavoidable "bad spawn" system.

what's the "bad spawn" system? have you only played TDM? i never touch it, it's %100 random spawns. I'd rather have flags or squad members to spawn off of

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Battlefield Hardline
17. Re: Ship Ahoy - Battlefield Hardline Mar 17, 2015, 17:25 Slick

and if anyone else here is playing add me as a friend! (deejayslick) would be nice to frag alongside some BN members (and to frag some other BN members ^_^)

are there any BN guilds in any games that people here actually play on?

It would be fun to get a mumble server and actually hear some of you fucktards

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Battlefield Hardline
16. Re: Ship Ahoy - Battlefield Hardline Mar 17, 2015, 17:13 Slick

free tip for anyone who enjoys killing things, and doesn't enjoy dying

K10 + body armour + heist mode

been averaging more than 5:1 KDR since I unlocked them stuff

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Launch Prep
1. Re: Battlefield Hardline Launch Prep Mar 17, 2015, 00:09 Slick

launch prep? i've been playing since 7 am this morning.

south korea best korea

News Comments > Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service
61. Re: Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service Mar 16, 2015, 05:36 Slick

InBlack wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 03:35:
Slick wrote on Mar 15, 2015, 03:03:
both of them popular mods, then bought out. I can't think of one original game Valve has made in over what? decades? was classic team fortress the last original IP? or was that a mod too?

Team Fortress was originally a Mod for Quake. How do you not know this?

I know it must come as a shock, but there's actually quite a lot I don't know.

Besides, I was playing Action Quake back then, never really got into Team Fortress

910 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo