Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peter Roberts

Real Name Peter Roberts   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Denthor
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2012, 01:14
Total Comments 66 (Suspect)
User ID 57539

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
34. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 12, 2014, 15:45 Denthor

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 13:42:
Also keep in mind that Holiday 2015 is also when the next Uncharted is due out. This is most likely win-win for SE as I doubt they want that competition on the PS4 right out the gate. Money might not of been that big considering that.

Ohh ... This makes a lot more sense. MS prolly threw buckets of cash at them so they have something to fight uncharted with. Not that tomb raider reboot held a candle to any of the uncharted games.

Square Enix have taken a risky route imo. Alienating a large portion (possibly >50%) of your fan base is pretty out there and if it flops they're fcuked for the next release.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2014, 23:14 Denthor

@Icewind

Pretty sure Divinity has no steam DRM on it. You can just zip it up and put it on another pc w/out steam. Not sure on the others.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
16. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 02:17 Denthor

1badmf wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 00:35:
a blender isn't art, and if you can't see the difference, well, i'm afraid you're the idiot. there are certainly degrees of quality of art; we're not just talking about pure functionality like a blender.

The metaphor is quite apt. The end product is worse than it could've been - you even say as much. You're trying to bring subjectivity in to support your view point when it is not the subjective parts of the game that are in conflict. You are happy to part your money with something that has potential - I am not, I spend my money to get something that has already fulfilled it's potential.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
3. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 11, 2014, 20:13 Denthor

1badmf wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 19:27:
preeeeeetty game. i don't care how much haterade you guys pour on this, i'm going to play the hell out of it. i loved DAO and DA2 was still a good, enjoyable experience. a lot of you are too exacting in your expectations - it wasn't the bleeding edge masterpiece we'd hoped for, but failing to live up to that, anything can still be a good game. people just need to keep in the mind the full spectrum of possibilities it could've been, not just that 'it's not a masterpiece; therefore, sucks'.

I don't buy that; you wouldn't use that logic with any other purchases. This blender kinda blends well... it's got the potential, even if there are still massive chunks in my smoothie! This chicken was undercooked but it has the potential to be a really good meal! Shit just doesnt fly. Its idiotic.

EA restricted development to cash in on the good will\name that DA:O generated - that's it plain and simple. They just wanted higher profits for less development time and it was quite evident in the final product.

News Comments > Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype
15. Re: Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype Jul 8, 2014, 12:43 Denthor

saluk wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 02:53:
I think you missed the whole thread there... Colonial Marines was mentioned and this was a rebuttal against that :P

Ohh man my bad - Im goin crazy in my old age. That'll teach me for making posts w/ little sleep.

9. Re: Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype Jul 8, 2014, 02:40 Denthor

Beamer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 01:07:
When has this ever happened?
This wasn't an exclusive. It wasn't funded by either MS or Sony. They had no stake in this.

Christ, you guys think there's an evil conspiracy against PC gamers. Even the Microsoft Xbox push, which at least some here recognize as the only way to sell consoles (which doesn't excuse it, but means at least some aren't seeing it as some evil way to fuck with PC gamers) is only based around games they have some kind of monetary stake in.
And you think people know what they're doing. Given that Sega was about to sue them for being too late to ship, isn't it infinitely more likely that, in the final days, if not hours, of shipping, two independent people made two independent decisions to change something in order to improve the way the game ran, but those two things weren't discussed and impacted each other directly, making the graphics degradation exponentially worse, but things were moving so rapidly that there was no way to roll the code back without losing too much other work, the game was still playable, and between getting sued by Sega or shipping an ugly game they made the choice to ship an ugly game.

Incompetence.

And, for godsake, the game was ugly on consoles. It's really effin hard to pitch this as "PC was made worse to have console parity!" when the consoles were awful as well. If the consoles were great, fine, maybe you could make that argument (you'd still lose it.) But the consoles were terrible. Were they kept terrible to keep parity with the Dreamcast to not piss off Sega?

I don't even know where you are pulling this from. I never said that they're out to fuck with PC gamers. Game development for the last 5 years has been all about the lowest common denominator. It's not going to change, shits made to run on the worst console then ported across with either increased res\textures\various other fluff.

In this case they had something quite unique, the occulus rift. It changed the experience the user had - not just adding fluff.

Oh wait are you thinking of that gearbox aliens game. Colonial marines? This is not that.... It's aliens isolation. It's the only way i can make sense of your ramblings.

6. Re: Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype Jul 8, 2014, 00:38 Denthor

Beamer wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 23:56:
HoSpanky wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 22:32:
Quite likely that, like Colonial Marines, SEGA is refusing to allow this game to look drastically better on one platform over another.

Except there was no such mandate.
Again, it amazes me how people see incompetence and blame conspiracy, not, you know, incompetence.

Public or private mandates? It's not like we are privy to boardroom meetings. I don't think it's a huge leap that they (sega) don't want to upset the bigwigs in MS or Sony if their product is inferior on consoles that were just released only recently - even if it is what ms/sony would consider minor, doesn't do well for relations.

4. Re: Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype Jul 7, 2014, 23:00 Denthor

This is much more likely the case. Isn't there still some clause when releasing a game on MS consoles that it can't be "significantly worse" than other platforms? Or is that just rumour mill. It was rumoured sony has done similar things in the past as well (PS3 era) - not through direct contract stipulation tho.  

News Comments > Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam
7. Re: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam Jun 18, 2014, 21:46 Denthor

Yifes wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 21:43:
After Bethesda screwed them over on New Vegas? Bethesda can go fuck themselves.

How so? Is that the metacritic thing - where they needed to get a certain score for bonuses? That's on obsidian imo they entered into that agreement. Or are there more shenanigans going on?

News Comments > Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam
6. Re: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics Return to Steam Jun 18, 2014, 21:44 Denthor

@Beamer - Pretty sure skyrim could bank roll development for the next 5 years as well (hasn't it grossed over 1.2bil vs the 85mil outlay). Then again they had that ESO which i've heard nothing good about, wonder if it did ok financially.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
19. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 16, 2014, 01:15 Denthor

The idea of channels (since you guys are discussing it) needs to change or even die. We don't need whole channels when they just produce a few good shows and the rest are not. We can now push a button to watch what we want to, unlike 20th century technology. It's more efficient this way too. Networks might become more like publishers in the future where they back certain shows that we buy or select, etc.. Who knows but I do know we need to allow the market to change and not support the status quo.

This sums it up nicely. It's just a refusal to evolve. By not evolving they just open the door to competitors like netflix and amazon.

Having just said that they are evolving just not the way we want. Double dipping on traffic, abolishing net neutrality, its like they are building a saftey net for the inevitable cable tv crash comes.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2014, 18:59 Denthor

Not sure what your point is. Frame rate has always been >>>> visual fidelity via resolution or AA (imo). Not that many TV's would be able to deliver a discernible difference between upscaled 900p and true 1080p anyway.  

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2014, 22:42 Denthor

Ward wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 22:20:
Diablo is all about finding Bind on Account Items, Blizzard sure knows it's franchises

No but it looks like a concession to getting rid of the AH. Suits would absolutely loath that third party sites make all this coin and they would not getting any of it. Making just about everything BOA destroys third party market whilst keeping diablo largely in tact IF you play with a consistent group.

The BOA changes have not really affected me that much as you can still trade with people that are in your group (we keep a full group and trade legs around quite a bit).

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Closed
45. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2014, 07:08 Denthor

For those of us in au/nz looks like they have finally put local servers in or are testing them - logged on to check out changes and had a ping of 50...

Not sure if temporary or perm but id buy the expo just to support local servers. CAUSE FUCK 250MS+ on every blizzard game

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
36. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 9, 2014, 05:39 Denthor

Kosumo wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 19:42:
Totally with CJ_Parker on this, if they can't estimate the time need to hit there targets at the start of a project, then I must ask if they would be better with the proffestional help that a publisher offers.

Thanks for that, needed a good laugh. *mumbles* professional help that a publisher offers ... what a hoot.

For both SC and Eternity they've roughly doubled (sc more) the content they're adding into the game, if you're not expecting a delay of some sort for release (or milestones) you are ignorant at best, an idiot at worst.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2014, 11:04 Denthor

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 10:20:
Bobby Kotick needs to stop huffing detergent in the morning.

Also, as great as Last of Us was, that story was told. There is no need for a LoU 2.

I whole heartily agree LoU ending was excellent and doesn't need a sequel. Having said that I wouldn't mind something else in that universe - found it to be rather interesting take on the zombie apocalypse.

Then again as someone said earlier just let naughty dog loose - anything they do seems to have great story telling. The best in the industry imo.

News Comments > ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic
38. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 30, 2014, 04:15 Denthor

Cool cinematic, well production values at least. I guess thats why they are charging us plebs in au $90 - not even bothering with local servers either.

Whole lotta nope for me - not at that price and really could not be fucked jumping through hoops to buy it.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
42. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 21:42 Denthor

fiftykyu wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 17:50:
Got the impression Witcher 3 was going for that combination, i.e. player skill based instead of mash R1 to kill everything, but we'll see how it turns out...

That was my impression too - would be awesome if they can nail it. Dark souls, imo, is utterly unique in it's combat, really have to pay attention to whats happening - timing is everything. Would love more games like it.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2014, 16:33 Denthor

Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 15:17:
I'm amazed Polygon, of all places, has the actual courage to call EA out on this bullshit.

Anyone able to tell me where polygons revenue is coming from - i'd hazard a guess not many EA adverts going on there.

That has to be the main reason gaming websites rarely speak out on publishers - their livelyhood depends on them. In fact its everything that is wrong with the system. Publishers have far to much control over so called independent reviewers.

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
31. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 00:01 Denthor

javajeff wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 20:48:
Steam is DRM. This means your account is locked to all your games at once. Two of your games cannot be running at the same time. With retail games, you can install each game on a different computer. The only way to do this with steam is to have a different Steam account for each game. Now this can change if that game sharing feature is enabled.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/11436/

Naw thats not entirely true. You can just run steam in offline mode. I do it all the time with my laptop - install the games i wish to play - then switch to offline mode. I'm able to play games on my TV with a controller (laptop through hdmi) or i can play on my desktop with no issues at all even if both games are running at the same time. Been doing it like this for ages now and had no issues at all.

66 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo