Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Wret

Real Name Wret   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 31, 2012, 00:22
Total Comments 5 (Suspect)
User ID 57509

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > NCsoft Financials
3. Re: NCsoft Financials Aug 8, 2012, 23:55 Wret

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 23:20:
But then again in those financials, didn't they have a lot of GW2 Pre-Sales?

The pre-sales aren't included in that quarter. In accounting terms they're categorized as a liability (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liability_%28financial_accounting%29) until the game is released, then it's moved to revenue. Also has the added benefit of fluffing day one sales and all that nonsense for the inevitable press release since all those pre-sales are lumped in at the same time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Uplay Patched
9. Re: nephthys210@gmail.com Jul 30, 2012, 21:41 Wret

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 21:40:
Don't install chrome, install chromium.

Well yeah, was just using it as an example.

7. nephthys210@gmail.com Jul 30, 2012, 21:34 Wret

RailWizard wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 21:04:

hmm didn't they fix firefox to always ask before it allows any plugin to be installed? Or maybe that's only from inside the browser...

In theory yeah, in practice not so much. Several of the big ones have worked their way around that. Installing Chrome as a secondary browser, for example, will also silently install a Google Updater Firefox plugin that can't be removed without registry editing or uninstalling Chrome.

2. Uplay Patched Jul 30, 2012, 20:35 Wret

Just repeating this from the other thread, as several posters are very misinformed as to how the plugin is installed:

"uPlay 1.xx asked permission to install the browser plugins, but the recently released 2.0 silently installs it and actually requires it or the launcher refuses to function.

I have a copy of AC:B (from Amazon, not Steam) and installed uPlay on a brand new PC a week ago, straight from Ubi's website, in order to redownload it as Ubi's servers are faster. It didn't ask or even mention anything about a browser plugin, and there's nothing in the settings either. It was installed to FF and attempts to remove it caused uPlay to insist that it's installation was broken. Disabling it was the only option short of just not installing the game."

News Comments > Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw
40. Re: Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw Jul 30, 2012, 20:31 Wret

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 17:12:

Admittedly, the only game I ever had that installed Uplay was the latest Assassin's Creed, and I got that outside of Steam. And it simply asked me "Do you want to install our wonderful Uplay add-ins for your browser? It will let you do really awesome stuff, like... ehm... well... erm, really AMAZING STUFF!!!!"

I guess I didn't think about Steam just forcing that shit straight onto your computer. THANKS STEAM!

Creston

That's not what's happening. uPlay 1.xx asked permission to install the browser plugins, but the recently released 2.0 silently installs it and actually requires it or the launcher refuses to function.

I have a copy of AC:B (from Amazon, not Steam) and installed uPlay on a brand new PC a week ago, straight from Ubi's website, in order to redownload it as Ubi's servers are faster. It didn't ask or even mention anything about a browser plugin, and there's nothing in the settings either. It was installed to FF and attempts to remove it caused uPlay to insist that it's installation was broken. Disabling it was the only option short of just not installing the game.

Try it for yourself and see what happens.

Nothing to do with Steam or "mindless clicking," sorry Creston.

5 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo