Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Axis

Real Name Axis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Axis
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Older, smarter, better.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 11, 2012, 20:08
Total Comments 1480 (Pro)
User ID 57462

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 18, 2014, 19:53 Axis

Ya we really enjoy the online tennis too. Never thought my kids would like it but they LOVE the golf.

I would never buy a PS4 or a Xbone, so our family orientated backwards compatible Wii U has hit the spot regardless of how it ends up selling overall.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
23. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 18, 2014, 16:11 Axis

Obama will go down as one of the (f not THE) most inept, divisive, and untruthful president in history.

The only thing he has going for him is the constant free pass, and he's damn near worn that pass out.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 18, 2014, 16:07 Axis

I'm always seeing plenty of R&D on these Hardware Reviews... 90% desktop related. Comments?  

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
28. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 18, 2014, 15:56 Axis

Amazon corp employee is too hot, no AC. What can he do about it?
Teacher govt employee is too hot, no AC. What can he do about it?

"You" are one sided, the example is a crystal clear example of both sides.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details
29. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 18, 2014, 15:53 Axis

Old fashioned or not, most companies still use desktops.  

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 18, 2014, 14:03 Axis

Thanks mah man.  

Yours truly,

Axis

27. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 18, 2014, 14:01 Axis

You've been done for a long time beamer, nice try.  

Yours truly,

Axis

26. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 18, 2014, 14:00 Axis

Redmask wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 12:57:
He doesn't really have any options was the point and I'm not entertaining your one sided question.

Of course you wouldn't, the answer doesn't jive with your fantasy of govt vs corps...

Yours truly,

Axis

24. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 18, 2014, 00:27 Axis

Redmask wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 19:03:
Axis wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 17:22:

Lucky you work for a corporation where you can quit and find another job if it sucks too much for you.

Yeah that's some real 'luck', what a fortunate situation he was in.

Would you have preferred he not have any options at all? What do you say to our teachers here that are in a similar situation I outlined? Hmm?

Yours truly,

Axis

25. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 18, 2014, 00:18 Axis

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 18:28:
Axis wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 17:29:
No one said anything about "oh wow never heard of a company not using desktops".

Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 20:23:

I don't know any sizable company that doesn't have desktops, and I deal with dozens each year. I have no idea where your super-d-duper-grandiose "no desktop policy" companies are, but they sure as hell aren't what most mainstream companies are doing - your assessment is complete rubbish.

So, no one ever said "I don't know any sizable company that doesn't have desktops," except for you. Two days ago. In this thread.

My current employer has an employee count in the six figures. Like I said, every employee is issued a laptop on day 1. Not a single desktop in the company.
My previous employer had 50,000 employees. They bought their last desktop in 2009.
Target, Goldman Sachs, Apple, etc., all issue laptops exclusively

Oh cmon thats so ridiculous -- One hell of a grasping at straws. You do know what "most" means correct?

I have no idea where your super-d-duper-grandiose "no desktop policy" companies are, but they sure as hell aren't what most mainstream companies are doing

Desktops are still #1 in the workforce for most companies, fact.

No one is stating companies don't use laptops. But you did say desktops are dead in the workforce and you are completely and utterly wrong, they are still the most used for the vast majority.

Yours truly,

Axis

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 17, 2014, 17:45 Axis

We ended up getting a bunch of games for it they were so ridiculously cheap, damn near paid for the system in savings compared to other systems prices.

But man Rayman Legends on the Wii U is seriously it's flag-ship game and the best version out there -- worth it in every sense our whole family plays it often.

Yours truly,

Axis

23. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 17, 2014, 17:29 Axis

Beamer, most large companies still use desktops, even more smaller ones do.

Admit defeat and quit trying to act like you're correct in your silly assertions. No one said anything about "oh wow never heard of a company not using desktops". Seriously think you can get away with saying shit like that when a simple read-through proves your statement a sham?

Maybe with some, not me. U r full of it. i got ur #

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 17, 2014, 17:25 Axis

Obama is a hollow weak shell who can do nothing for the US except lip service and continued failures.  

Yours truly,

Axis

22. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 17, 2014, 17:22 Axis

killer_roach wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 14:23:
HoSpanky wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 08:57:
I worked at Amazon for about 9 months. During the summer, an ambulance sat out front just waiting for people to pass out from the heat in a certain section of the building. That was their solution, NOT installing better airflow/cooling to a small, specific area. The rest of the building was sweltering hot as well but it's unsurprising that they didnt air condition a building that's over a quarter mile long (and is still expanding).

Also, we shipped chocolate out of there, middle of summer. Don't order chocolate from Amazon.

Yeah, the building where I work just got air conditioning this summer. I have heard the horror stories. Thankfully, all the newer warehouses are air-conditioned by default. They don't keep them very cool, but it's not uncomfortable anymore either.

To be honest, your comment about chocolate is probably more accurately the reason why they installed the air conditioning, but still.

Lucky you work for a corporation where you can quit and find another job if it sucks too much for you. All our government run public schools around here do not have AC, it's a real problem and they have no choice but to suffer through it... kids and teachers both.

Just wanted to add some balance! : )

Yours truly,

Axis

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 17, 2014, 17:17 Axis

Whatever nintendo needs to do is fine by me, my family got my moneys worth out if it already easily -- can only get better.

Couple games we're looking forward to, particularly super smash bros.

Yours truly,

Axis

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 16, 2014, 19:35 Axis

Last thing the US needs are more useless unions.  

Yours truly,

Axis

18. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 16, 2014, 10:35 Axis

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 22:05:
Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 20:11:
The only advantages of desktops, that they are expandable, are outweighed by the detriments - that they're large, energy heavy, can't be moved, and require permanent space dedicated to them.

Advantages you missed:
More Powerful by far
Get more done
UI Devices nothing else has

Your negatives: Large, can't be moved (well they can be moved) and require space. I am sorry but I have the room to house them and don't have an issue with them. It doesn't all have to be small and mobile for me.

Beamer is either intentionally full of shit, has a naive view, or extremely limited work experience with regards to companies and their use of desktops. Desktops are still #1 in the workforce for most companies, fact.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2014, 20:26 Axis

I've never needed official Microsoft support for XP. In companies we go with a standardized desktop and clone.  

Yours truly,

Axis

15. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 20:23 Axis

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 20:13:
Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 19:57:
Well the fadchat "pc gaming is dead" was always about pc gaming, desktops in general.

PC dead today may be about PC's sold, but they're not dead as some would like to believe. They're just still able to be capable gaming machines in full use -- If you have a monitor doing 1024x768 with even rudimentary graphics options you can still play most games -- no need to upgrade often.

And for business PC's its even more applicable. You can get away with ancient hardware running local apps, and if you are really hard pressed on cash you simply virtual desktop / terminal server, etc.

Since you're saying "PC = desktop," sorry, they aren't relevant in business.
None of the last 3 companies I've been at used desktops. Laptops are as cheap and significantly better for businesses, because now your employees have no excuse to not get something done, even while home. Which I often am ok with, because now I don't need to take a sick day or go to work when I'm feeling crappy - I just log into the VPN (which is usually tied to hardware) and work almost as efficiently from my kitchen table.
True, it would be entirely as efficiently if they let my desktop VPN in, but I'd guess I'm one of maybe 30% of my company with a desktop.

I don't know any sizable company that doesn't have desktops, and I deal with dozens each year. I have no idea where your super-d-duper-grandiose "no desktop policy" companies are, but they sure as hell aren't what most mainstream companies are doing - your assessment is complete rubbish.

Yours truly,

Axis

12. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 19:57 Axis

Well the fadchat "pc gaming is dead" was always about pc gaming, desktops in general.

PC dead today may be about PC's sold, but they're not dead as some would like to believe. They're just still able to be capable gaming machines in full use -- If you have a monitor doing 1024x768 with even rudimentary graphics options you can still play most games -- no need to upgrade often.

And for business PC's its even more applicable. You can get away with ancient hardware running local apps, and if you are really hard pressed on cash you simply virtual desktop / terminal server, etc.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2014, 20:06.

Yours truly,

Axis

1480 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo