Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Axis

Real Name Axis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Axis
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Older, smarter, better.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 11, 2012, 20:08
Total Comments 1264 (Pro)
User ID 57462

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details
18. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 16, 2014, 10:35 Axis

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 22:05:
Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 20:11:
The only advantages of desktops, that they are expandable, are outweighed by the detriments - that they're large, energy heavy, can't be moved, and require permanent space dedicated to them.

Advantages you missed:
More Powerful by far
Get more done
UI Devices nothing else has

Your negatives: Large, can't be moved (well they can be moved) and require space. I am sorry but I have the room to house them and don't have an issue with them. It doesn't all have to be small and mobile for me.

Beamer is either intentionally full of shit, has a naive view, or extremely limited work experience with regards to companies and their use of desktops. Desktops are still #1 in the workforce for most companies, fact.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2014, 20:26 Axis

I've never needed official Microsoft support for XP. In companies we go with a standardized desktop and clone.  

Yours truly,

Axis

15. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 20:23 Axis

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 20:13:
Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 19:57:
Well the fadchat "pc gaming is dead" was always about pc gaming, desktops in general.

PC dead today may be about PC's sold, but they're not dead as some would like to believe. They're just still able to be capable gaming machines in full use -- If you have a monitor doing 1024x768 with even rudimentary graphics options you can still play most games -- no need to upgrade often.

And for business PC's its even more applicable. You can get away with ancient hardware running local apps, and if you are really hard pressed on cash you simply virtual desktop / terminal server, etc.

Since you're saying "PC = desktop," sorry, they aren't relevant in business.
None of the last 3 companies I've been at used desktops. Laptops are as cheap and significantly better for businesses, because now your employees have no excuse to not get something done, even while home. Which I often am ok with, because now I don't need to take a sick day or go to work when I'm feeling crappy - I just log into the VPN (which is usually tied to hardware) and work almost as efficiently from my kitchen table.
True, it would be entirely as efficiently if they let my desktop VPN in, but I'd guess I'm one of maybe 30% of my company with a desktop.

I don't know any sizable company that doesn't have desktops, and I deal with dozens each year. I have no idea where your super-d-duper-grandiose "no desktop policy" companies are, but they sure as hell aren't what most mainstream companies are doing - your assessment is complete rubbish.

Yours truly,

Axis

12. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 19:57 Axis

Well the fadchat "pc gaming is dead" was always about pc gaming, desktops in general.

PC dead today may be about PC's sold, but they're not dead as some would like to believe. They're just still able to be capable gaming machines in full use -- If you have a monitor doing 1024x768 with even rudimentary graphics options you can still play most games -- no need to upgrade often.

And for business PC's its even more applicable. You can get away with ancient hardware running local apps, and if you are really hard pressed on cash you simply virtual desktop / terminal server, etc.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2014, 20:06.

Yours truly,

Axis

10. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 19:25 Axis

Quboid wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:09:
Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:36:
Quboid wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:31:
Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:23:
And yet we're still seeing "PC's are DEAD" articles and their hopeless buffoonery console minions pop up...

Are we? This has long been a cliché but I don't remember the last time I actually saw such a headline. Of course, if Blue's simply stopped linking to them then I'd have no way of knowing.

Fortunately most have learned that it was a load of faddish hogwash -- but every now and again one pops up. Just saw one on blues bout a week ago I think, least the headline and I didn't bother to read it for obvious reasons. Then there's countless posts from a few members here like Beamer who still recite it like prophecy...

Do you honestly think Beamer has been saying that, or anything like that, or are you joking?

You'll know when I'm joking, I make it obvious.

Beamer was convinced only a month or so ago that tablets were king and desktop pc's were dead and never coming back, something along those lines. Regardless it's an absolutely naive view of the current desktop business.

Sure we like our small tablets, phone apps, laptops, etc, but the only real PC gaming going for 90% on is on desktops.

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2014, 15:57 Axis

The only reason I need win 7 at all is for the newer games that don't do DX9, otherwise I prefer XP all day every day.

And now that Microsoft realizes that their version of DX is the only compelling reason to move on, they'll make sure their new DX is never backwards compatible. More reason to go OpenGl...

Yours truly,

Axis

3. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 15:36 Axis

Quboid wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:31:
Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:23:
And yet we're still seeing "PC's are DEAD" articles and their hopeless buffoonery console minions pop up...

Are we? This has long been a cliché but I don't remember the last time I actually saw such a headline. Of course, if Blue's simply stopped linking to them then I'd have no way of knowing.

Fortunately most have learned that it was a load of faddish hogwash -- but every now and again one pops up. Just saw one on blues bout a week ago I think, least the headline and I didn't bother to read it for obvious reasons. Then there's countless posts from a few members here like Beamer who still recite it like prophecy...

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Update Next Week
7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Update Next Week Jan 15, 2014, 15:30 Axis

I loaded this back up last month, played for about 3 hours trying different things to get into it but nothing jumped out as worthy of my time.

Glad some of you guys still like it though, to each their own.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Next Car Game Early Access
8. Re: Next Car Game Early Access Jan 15, 2014, 15:27 Axis

Always liked car smashers. Crashtime was pretty solid mindless fun, this doesn't look much different but hopefully they do something creative-modey with all those McPhysics...  

Yours truly,

Axis

1. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 15:23 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 14, 2014, 16:40 Axis

No one cares about new versions of windows. Best thing MS can do is make windows modular like linux so you can simply add and take away parts of the OS needed.

Someday they'll learn from the public, until then we keep getting to hear about some useless "new" version of windows...

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2014, 10:32 Axis

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 04:45:
Axis wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 15:09:
There's too many developers who won't care much about following through once they have money in hand. Programmers are notorious at working on the fun stuff like adding new ideas or moving on to more interesting projects instead of bug hunting and optimizing code.

I'm unwilling to pay to find out how an unknown developer is at business building. I only pay for games I think I'll fully enjoy in it's current state.

That's how it's going to end for at least half of these "early access pay me for alpha invites" games - not good for the developers reputation or the gamers wallet.

While I only buy finished games, and agree with the premise of only buying games you will enjoy in their current state, I disagree with your assertion that many devs don't follow through. Indie devs are very committed to their games. And even when a major studio pulls tbe plug on a game you usually see the individual devs fixing bugs in their free time after the fact, sometimes for years.

Certainly I'd agree that many indie devs have been historically committed, but a huge part of that commitment was because they've had to complete their game to reap the rewards (with few exceptions along the way). This "free release money" while they work on it is relatively new in the timeline of developing games at least mainstream-wise, and we're already seeing plenty of titles that showed great promise go by the wayside after money has been placed in their hands.

Castlestory, Cubeworld and Starforge are all current examples of my point -- the ones I'm intimately familiar with so can site them with confidence. I could probably site a dozen more I've forgotten about reading and I'm sure many of you have similar titles you could name. As always, buyer beware...

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 15:09 Axis

There's too many developers who won't care much about following through once they have money in hand. Programmers are notorious at working on the fun stuff like adding new ideas or moving on to more interesting projects instead of bug hunting and optimizing code.

I'm unwilling to pay to find out how an unknown developer is at business building. I only pay for games I think I'll fully enjoy in it's current state.

That's how it's going to end for at least half of these "early access pay me for alpha invites" games - not good for the developers reputation or the gamers wallet.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: Evening Previews Jan 10, 2014, 23:09 Axis

Totally looking forward to M&M release, played more Might and Magic on my Amiga than any other series, finished three of them.

But with Ubisoft one never knows how it will actually turn out...

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > First-Person Puzzle Game Concept Trailer
7. Re: First-Person Puzzle Game Concept Trailer Jan 9, 2014, 19:17 Axis

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 16:49:
Very cool, though I really can't see a game in this, more of a screw around with perspective sandbox thing.

It's already a puzzler, that's game enough right there. I can also envision many ways to expand on it -- quite hopeful for their project.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > First-Person Puzzle Game Concept Trailer
5. Re: First-Person Puzzle Game Concept Trailer Jan 9, 2014, 15:31 Axis

Love it, very cool. That's all it takes, some passion and ideas, do your own thing, no need to copy the next survival horror terraria pixel fps  

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 9, 2014, 09:45 Axis

As long as Hulu doesn't have commercials in their original content!

Their commercials in other content is actually quite bearable, they aren't very often and a timer pops up so you see exactly how long you have, max is three 30 second commercials in a row.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 8, 2014, 19:59 Axis

Sony: "Look we know our peckers are bigger... it's not a big deal(*cough* in yer face Microsoft! Muahahahaha)."  

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2014, 22:20 Axis

Quboid wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 21:42:
It was the in-your-face liberals who got slavery abolished. I'd say Emmeline Pankhurst was pretty in-your-face. You think it was co-incidence that these things improved when people starting talking about them?

There's conservatives out there preaching to the choir, that's obviously wrong. Doesn't Fox News claim to have the most viewers of any news station in the US?

Not all conservatives are the same. Maybe you don't feel the need to preach to the choir but some do. Some liberals do too, not all liberals are the same.

Might wanna dig deep into history about slavery and civil rights, but I'm not about to get into that conversation -- I've done that digging deep plenty of times myself already.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2014, 18:28 Axis

Sexismt/racism/homophobia is lessened in spite of the constant in-your-face assertions liberals make, not because of it.

You seem reasonable Quboid -- I'm stating what is obvious to me without insulting liberals in general. I am, however, quite tired of liberals in general throwing out insults on a daily basis against anyone who isn't a liberal. Conservatives are equally accepting if not more-so when you consider the strong racial bias from minority groups which no one likes to talk about. And conservatives do not feel the need to preach to the choir -- which has a profound meaning if you know about human psychology.

Yours truly,

Axis

1264 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo