Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Axis

Real Name Axis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Axis
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Older, smarter, better.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 11, 2012, 20:08
Total Comments 1823 (Pro)
User ID 57462

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Bot Colony Ending
16. Re: Bot Colony Ending Jan 30, 2015, 23:28 Axis

My take?

If a game took over $20,000,000, has been around for 9 months, and I never heard of it till now (and likely most of you), then either they were completely inept at getting the word out, or there's some untruths going on...

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 29, 2015, 10:53 Axis

Creston wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 10:37:
Because Elon Musk is on the case, Bill!

Oh, he actually says that himself. I did like this part, though:

First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though, the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don't understand why some people are not concerned.

Well, because I'm more concerned with making sure I have enough money to pay all my bills and keep food on my table. And whether the place I work for is going to survive the current oil prices.

The idea whether AI is going to kill me three decades from now is not really high on my list of immediate things to worry about. I guess when you're a billionaire that is the only left to freak out about.

I was coming in to say essentially the same thing, spot on Creston.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > 8bitMMO Launches
7. Re: 8bitMMO Launches Jan 27, 2015, 15:50 Axis

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 10:57:
If they can find an audience, more power too them. Content and features don't look that intriguing though. If I have to tolerate that level of graphics I need something more to grab me or at least Dwarf Fortress level detail.

I'd agree, but I'd settle for a *wee bit* less than DF detail level, that game still scares the shit outta me!

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Dying Light Dawns
15. Re: Dying Light Dawns Jan 27, 2015, 15:46 Axis

I can afford pretty much whatever I want, but haven't plunked down > $40 for a game sight unseen in the past decade.

And even after I've seen it, almost no AAA gets full price from me. Maybe GTA V after the first few reviews come in and go through my *bullshit/shill/nub filter*, but no guarantee.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Announced
4. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Announced Jan 26, 2015, 20:30 Axis

Extremely popular among the youth, a good portion of my son's friends dig these games. Me, not so much.  

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 26, 2015, 14:00 Axis

Beamer wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:49:
Axis wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:43:
Absolutely JD, it's a fairly common crossover - when you are young it's easy to get into consoles, then when you get older and see what you can do on a PC platform you "Evolve!".

I'd bet most of us have. Atari 2600 right to TI99 for me. Many of my friends and their kids same story.

I do get tired of all the new "PLS CONTROLLER for x game on steam", but I'm glad they're discovering PC gaming - won't be long before their pc controller collects is only dusted off for the occasional platforming type game...

And then when you get older still you go back to consoles because you have limited time and they just work.

Sorry, this whole thing of "mature people use PCs" seems a bit off. I'd guess PC usage peaks in the early 20s then falls off again when building, tuning and tweaking becomes a lot less fun.

Personally, I'm still playing FC4 and am shocked to see how much better it plays in videos I'm watching on YouTube on the new consoles. It's an entirely different game. And yeah, I could build/upgrade to play it like that on my PC, but I'd need a new processor and a new GPU. I could spend $300 on a 970, or I could spend $350 on an Xbox One. Both will play games that look comparable to each other.

I'm not going to do either, but the value proposition and time-saving of a console is definitely a real thing.

Beamer just makes up shit to formulate an argument that isn't there. Where did I say "mature people use PCs"? I said consoles are EASY TO GET INTO, which means they are kid-friendly and PC gaming is not. Once PC gaming is, they slowly migrate. Most people do. It's called learning development, and even if they don't use them for gaming (which most do), they learn them in schools and continue to do so more and more throughout their school years. I've only said 100s of times I have consoles here too.

As for your "pc usage peaks" what a load of crap again, this isn't some kind of scientific thing we're talking about here, we're talking simple growing pains. Getting older doesn't mean tweaking/tuning gets less fun, or your own capability to build a system but you feel you graphics are most important so it's not worth it. You talk out of your ass and are WAY off too much, I'm guessing it's to justify some of your internal disagreements, but it's annoying as hell regardless.

Yours truly,

Axis

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 26, 2015, 13:43 Axis

Absolutely JD, it's a fairly common crossover - when you are young it's easy to get into consoles, then when you get older and see what you can do on a PC platform you "Evolve!".

I'd bet most of us have. Atari 2600 right to TI99 for me. Many of my friends and their kids same story.

I do get tired of all the new "PLS CONTROLLER for x game on steam", but I'm glad they're discovering PC gaming - won't be long before their pc controller collects is only dusted off for the occasional platforming type game...

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Gearbox Recruiting for "Next Borderlands"
15. Re: Gearbox Recruiting for Jan 26, 2015, 13:38 Axis

Go persistent ARPG/FPS or go home, and not some Chinese Exclusive thanks...

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record
2. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 26, 2015, 13:35 Axis

I still pull it up on occasion. It's no TF/Quake network code, but it's fun for a bit at a time.  

Yours truly,

Axis

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 26, 2015, 10:53 Axis

Zzzz...

Nothng new except D12, and even then any real world "improvements" are yet to be seen. Everything else is business as usual.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced
24. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 23:56 Axis

Redmask wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 23:34:
The tears of trolls and back handed compliments in this thread are pretty ridiculous.

First troll I've seen in this thread is right there in my quote.

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Announced
21. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 23:51 Axis

fiftykyu wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 21:28:
Hmmm, I loved all those old RPGs, Bard's Tale, Might & Magic, Ultima, Wizardry, plus a bunch of others I can't remember. Taking notes, drawing maps on graph paper, with no internet to read all the spoilers...

Actually, now that I think about it, this sounds like the sort of thing I'd buy for the memories, and then forget to play. My Steam library is full of these nostalgia-fueled purchases, and I don't think I've finished a single one.

Divinity: Original Sin, Might & Magic X, Wasteland 2, etc. They sound great, I excitedly press the "add to cart" button, but somehow when I sit down to play I lose interest. Maybe you just can't go home again...

We're inspired by nostalgia, have fun for the honeymoon period of playtime, then reluctantly admit we've seen and done it hundreds of times before in as many different ways and move on... oddly satisfied.

Yours truly,

Axis

18. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 17:57 Axis

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:53:
Axis wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:42:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:39:
A 'whale' is the heart of the microtransaction business. The top 5% of spenders that support the other 95% of free-loading or small-time-spending players in a free-to-play or buy-to-play environment... I am shocked you're not familiar with that term.

Interesting, I did not know that - thanks for the explanation. *shuffles it into memory*

It just means you don't pay much attention to the F2P market. Which is a good thing!

Well I pay attention to it if it's a good game!

I prolly spent $200 or so on PoE which I consider the finest f2p game to date, but I've yet to ever see someone mention that term during the inhumane amount of time I've spent in it.

Yours truly,

Axis

6. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:45 Axis

Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:39:
Enh, never cared for BT. And W2 was a big let down, so if Torment isn't great I'll likely end up blowing this off entirely.

There's absolutely no way you were even born when Bard's Tale took us old people by storm, so don't even pretend.

But since you also mentioned W2, I can only assume you think he's talking about the newer Bards Tale, which did indeed suck.

Yours truly,

Axis

12. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:42 Axis

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:39:
A 'whale' is the heart of the microtransaction business. The top 5% of spenders that support the other 95% of free-loading or small-time-spending players in a free-to-play or buy-to-play environment... I am shocked you're not familiar with that term.

Interesting, I did not know that - thanks for the explanation. *shuffles it into memory*

Yours truly,

Axis

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2015, 15:38 Axis

Gnite Edgar, I spent many months in my youth listening to your many synth symphonies, especially the Legend soundtrack my lord I loved that so much...  

Yours truly,

Axis

10. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:22 Axis

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:17:
Congrats, you're a family of whales! I'm thinking more along the lines of 80% of the playerbase who have never paid real money for gems and are considering how much content they got for the original purchase of $30-60. I'm definitely buying it, I've got 1000+ hours out of the game myself, even if I don't throw as much money at it as you do, lol.

Not sure what you mean by your whales statement, but my son is likely more fit than 99% of everyone here posting. We don't throw money at anything - he doesn't watch tv, doesnt spend money on anything else, doesn't eat junkfood, doesn't wear fancy clothes, doesn't play other games (except wii/wiiu/etc when his friends are over in the winter), and exclusively plays GW2. Subscriptions for MMO's are $14, so adding $6-$16 isn't much at all. And if you played that long -- you'd feel $20 a month for all that entertainment is piddly when you help both yourself and the devs (and other players indirectly).

Hell your dad's cable/phone/internet bill costs about $150 more every month than mine - all about priorities and the ability to make the decisions that matter most for your way of life. And if you cut cable, then your new car, fancy home, smoking habit, daily paper, eating out for lunch dinner, on and on and on...

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2015, 15:28.

Yours truly,

Axis

8. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:08 Axis

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:01:
That is an example of their PR double-speak on the subject, yes, but there were many times when a dev would state less publicly a more definitive no, it's not in the cards, they had not put any planning or work into creating for one, etc. People have been asking about expansions since before the game launched, and they always insisted that the Living World stuff IS their avenue of adding new content and that we would not see anything like the expansions they did for the first game.

Don't take it to mean I didn't want an expansion, because fuck yeah I did. I'm just skeptical of how much they're actually going to be adding. There's no way it will measure up to GW1 expansions, so the price had better be set to match... I'd have to see the size and features of this new area, but so far it sounds to me like they've just gathered what would have been this year's feature patch (new skills and progression system) along with LW season three and will be releasing it all at once for $30-40 or whatever. Which is pretty lame. I would expect a new region at least half the size of what is currently available (made up of 5-10 maps), and at the same quality and density of content for it to be worth that much.

Considering they haven't released a "pay for" expansion since, I'd say it's long in coming and will be well received.

Judging from what they are promising, I know my kid sure thinks it's worth it. Hell we spend $20-$30 in gems every month, so whatever the expansion is would be a drop in the bucket.

Yours truly,

Axis

5. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:00 Axis

My son really enjoys the crap outta GW2, his favorite game by far.

For younger audiences this is about the best mmo experience you can ask for all things considered.

Still nothing like the first, but it's found a place with the younger generation.

Yours truly,

Axis

3. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 14:54 Axis

Rhialto wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 14:24:
wow, I spent so much time on my C-64 playing the first.

Same, I played more RPG's on my c64 than anything else since. SSI's, Ultimas, Eotb/DM's, on and on and on. Most of which had deep enjoyable gameplay that stands the test of time - especially in the engaging yet difficult aspect.

And who can forget the invisible ink hint books...

Yours truly,

Axis

1823 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo