Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Chandler Lugovsky

Real Name Chandler Lugovsky   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ChandlerL
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 9, 2012, 00:44
Total Comments 31 (Suspect)
User ID 57459

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015
9. Re: The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015 Mar 11, 2014, 15:20 ChandlerL

That was an interesting press release-- different. Different in that it they addressed the fans and the shareholders separately and seemingly "from the heart."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
13. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Mar 6, 2014, 19:37 ChandlerL

Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 18:53:
Anyone know how big this world is supposed to be in comparison to something like Skyrim? I know this game is supposed to be an open world game.

The only quote I heard frequently was Executive Producer, Mark Darrah, saying (paraphrasing) that one single area of DA3 is larger than all of the DA2 areas combined. And there are multiple areas a la DA: Origins. Mounts have been implemented to ease travel.

I doubt you'll see a dev compare it to a competitor-- will likely have to wait until the embargo from journalists expire.

Also to clarify, it's almost an open world game. In Skyrim you can walk from one side of a relatively small continent to the other. You can't walk from one side of the continent of Thedas (Dragon Age) to the other. That would be a virtually impossible untertaking since, there, you're talking 10s of 1,000s of square miles. So what you have are open world explorable areas that you can jump between. That's how I understand it.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2014, 19:47.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
4. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Mar 6, 2014, 18:17 ChandlerL

Cabezone wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 18:04:
Cinematic trailer are completely useless.

*shrug* looks to me like the trailer was showing off the diverse environments, in which case, it does the job just fine.

News Comments > EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS
9. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 10:15 ChandlerL

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 09:23:
no 32-bit OS support? Hardly surprising. In other news, EverQuest Next requires a video card made after 2011.

I actually non-figuratively chuckled out loud at that.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
57. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 17:25 ChandlerL

Draugr wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 16:22:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 13:44:
Except for all of EA's games that use frostbite 3, it's the engine that has had mantle support into it, not just BF4. That alone will be more than a handful.

I was thinking the same thing. In addition to that, it's important to understand that both consoles support Mantle as well. Whether developers capitalize on that is the question. Perhaps as the platforms mature and they're looking to push the consoles further they will. If they do, then it stands to reason that, at least, cross platform titles may have Mantle support on desktops.

We shall see.

Personally, though I'm a current nVidia user across all my gaming desktops, I have used AMD and am essentially for whatever gets me the best performance to value result.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2014, 17:33.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth
60. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 15, 2013, 17:13 ChandlerL

D4rkKnight wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 16:00:
I really hate how the highways are full of fake traffic and basically its just a slipstream minigame to speed out of it. The ships in the highway never seem to exit or exist outside of just traveling inside of it.

I don't think that's true, at least not completely. A few times I was slipstreaming behind a very fast vessel, it left the lane, and I slowed back down to a crawl.

Other times I was getting ready to enter the lane-- I was following another ship and sure enough he went speeding away in the lane- I was too slow on the uptake to get behind him so missed the chance.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth
58. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2013, 17:09 ChandlerL

Wildone wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 13:02:
HOW IN THE FUCK do you turn off the 'auto levelling' of the ship..when I rotate to some other orientation it wants to spin me back to 'level' which is ridiculous there is no 'right' orientation in space..better be a toggle for that

I believe there is. Check the gameplay options. I saw it somewhere. Autolevel or something...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2013, 16:44 ChandlerL

Quboid wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 15:38:
Hoop, where do you live that jumps forward at this time of year yet cares about Guy Fawkes night? Do Australians celebrate?

NZ, me thinks

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video
4. Re: Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video Oct 23, 2013, 10:13 ChandlerL

nin wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 09:48:
It's like they're just finding money laying around, at this point. "Hey! Here's another million under the couch cushion!"

Actually laughed out loud. Thanks for that.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Access and System Requirements
27. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Access and System Requirements Sep 10, 2013, 00:58 ChandlerL

BF4 still 32-bit. Didn't they say about a year ago that the next Frostbite, which we know now is Frostbite 3, would be 64-bit?

As far as Windows 8, game makers have typically recommended the latest version of Windows as a matter of course. In DICE's case, it may also be because of this: BF4Blog re Windows 8

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Trailer
16. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Trailer Jun 11, 2013, 03:57 ChandlerL

Quinn wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 03:53:
Familiar faces!
And since the game is 1,5 years away, no shit they don't show us gameplay yet.

*chuckle* yeah no doubt, except up until yesterday Bioware kept repeating (posts, tweets) the date of "Fall 2013" Probably why folks thought to see more.

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Trailer
9. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Trailer Jun 10, 2013, 21:52 ChandlerL

jdreyer wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 21:16:
As far as prerendered trailers go, it wasn't bad. I agree with Redmask, let's see the game.

Also, too: that Frostbite engine sure is getting around these days.

According to Chris Priestly over at Bioware, the trailer was in-game/in-engine-- he said, "this is how the game looks." That's a plus- it being delayed a year from original release, well- RPG famine comin' for 2013. Time for me to pay attention to the kickstarted titles.

Interestingly Bioware mentioned multiple times leading up to this trailer that when they had stuff to show they wanted to have a steady stream of information. Wonder if that means we'll see more information (gameplay?) in the coming days and weeks.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2013, 22:08.

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
30. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 10:35 ChandlerL

ASeven wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:01:
Yakubs wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 09:59:
When everyone is blasting EA for lying, let's not let Maxis off the hook here. They deserve just as much indignation for this mess of a game release and it pains me to see them potentially getting away from this without much damage to their reputation.

At this point I make no dinstinction between EA and Maxis. They're both the same crap.

EAxis of Evil?

News Comments > GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound
30. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 15:45 ChandlerL

Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 11:47:
But will it fix Lara's boob hair jiggle?

Creston

ChestFX in upcoming patch. semi-confirmed rumor.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
79. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 22:44 ChandlerL

Bhruic wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 05:35:
No we wouldn't. Some developers started making DX10 only games when XP was still a substantial share of the market. They were doing exactly what you claimed devs wouldn't do - cutting out a large share of the market.

I hear where you're coming from, Bhruic, except adding token features to a DX10 release (better AA, improved DOF, softer shadows) had more to do with funding from NVIDIA and ATI as well as checking a box. It's not the same thing as creating a game with a larger memory footprint that simply wouldn't fit in a 2GB process without serious extra work and major feature reductions. Many of the folks have been 64-bit for quite many years yet 64-bit >2 GB games are barren. Developing a 64-bit title makes things easier.

SWTOR comes to mind-- there's a recent title who's creators wanted to remain 32-bit to such a degree, they opted to fit their memory footprint in two communicating spawned processes in order to break the 2GB barrier and the games performance suffered for it.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 23:21.

78. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 22:40 ChandlerL

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 04:04:
First, it's called a representative sample, and it's the largest one we've got. That's how data is collected and analyzed, regardless of what the subject matter is, because it's impossible to collect information from every single person on Earth. Second, supporting 64-bit does NOT exclude 32-bit support... Every game you listed as an example does both.

You said the reason we don't see more 64-bit games is because of the install base of 32-bit operating systems, and I pointed to counter-evidence that most gamers are on a 64-bit OS now. It's not a matter of "if what I said is true," because those are facts. Ergo, the reason we don't have more 64-bit games has to do with something else. Laziness, maybe, or the fact that a sizable chunk of gamers still have 4GB or less of RAM, so 64-bit support wouldn't do anything for them.

Look, I think you and I are agreeing on most things here except for whether Steam is a representative sample of gamers at large. Marc Rein doesn't think so. Neither do the boys over at Activision. Not sure what the other majors think but if I see them at PAX E, I will ask them-- so that's our sticking point here. Nothing's being dismissed but the perception of these guys is what it is. Steam info is readily available to all, yet they don't agree with the numbers Steam is presenting them as representative of their gamers.

The second part you mentioned is perhaps it's because of folks with <4 GB RAM. If I'm to use the Steam numbers as a slice, however, most people have >4 GB RAM-- according to Steam.

At any rate, sounds like we agree on everything except that. Perhaps the big devs out there will come around to the Steam data, and move things forward. Perhaps the 64bit consoles will drag them kicking and screaming to 64-bit PC as well since re-doing it for the lower memory footprint of a 32-bit PC release may present obstacles that impact ROI enough to warrant some market alienation.

Time will tell, mate.

Good conversation, though jacobvandy, keep it comin'. This kind of information gathering from gamers is one of the more enjoyable parts of my job.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 23:22.

55. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 03:27 ChandlerL

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 03:18:
I don't think that's the reason... Any rational development studio can look at Steam stats and see that more than half of PC gamers use 64-bit Windows 7. Counting the other 64-bit OS usage like Win 8 or Vista brings that up to a two-thirds majority.

First, that's not half of PC gamers. That's half of Steam gamers. Second, you're saying devs should purposefully create a game that cuts their potential steam customers in half even before they start. Pile on a consumer's genre preferences, mood, brand loyalty, past experiences and internet connection on top of that. If what you're saying is true, then we'd have PC-only 64-bit games right now yet we have but a scant few. I only came up with three, perhaps you can think of more.

PS4/Xbox720 will not suffer these tribulations.

Incidentally, and dovetailing with this conversation, Epic's Mark Rein said that most PC gamers play on their laptops- most of which use integrated Intel GPUs. He said this today after the PS4 event.

Hey, I don't like it either but that's what's out there.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 03:43.

53. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 03:09 ChandlerL

Well at least the PS4 is going to run 64-bit software that can access all that memory. Meanwhile in PC land, we still get 32-bit games that address 2GB. Pseudo-limitation due to installed base.

Hopefully that rectifies itself in the coming year. Having more usable memory for a process (game) is what will allow us to get that "next-gen" experience.

Crysis 2 - 32bit, Battlefield 3 - 32bit, Witcher 2 - 32bit, Crysis 3 - 32bit, Guild Wars 2 - 32bit, SWTOR - 32bit, Planetside 2, Skyrim, Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, Secret World, Xcom, ad...nauseum- some of which were or are PC only.

Damn that 32-bit Windows installed base. Damn it to hell.

Thinking off the top of my head-- 64-bit games. DCS A-10, X-Plane, and ah yes. World of Warcraft. Well thank god for that, yah?

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 03:19.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Soon?
11. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Soon? Jan 3, 2013, 18:04 ChandlerL

Techie714 wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 16:16:
For me anything with CD Projekt RED attached to it is an instant buy. These guys are what Bioware was like 10 years ago....

*Dragon Age was good

Exactly what I was thinking, mate.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2012, 02:20 ChandlerL

Prez wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 15:10:
I am vehemently anti-union because of some really ugly personal history with them, but Cutter is right that the union is not the issue in this case. These people have been asked to take cut after cut - how they continue to eek out a living is beyond me.

So folks may continue feeling "right" while 18,000 people get to try and eek out that living on their unemployment checks.

The baker's union just made the decision for 18,000 people-- most of whom were not part of that union.

Unions began life as a beacon of hope for an industrializing young nation. However most haven't been a mouthpiece for the worker in some time and is no better, hell often worse, than the businesses they try to vilify.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2012, 02:27.

31 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo