Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for UnderDown

Real Name UnderDown   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2012, 05:42
Total Comments 4 (Suspect)
User ID 57427

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
16. Re: etc., etc. Jun 1, 2012, 12:14 UnderDown

Orogogus wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:50:
UnderDown wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:25:
I would bet that the majority of Diablo 3 players really only want to play single player & LAN/friend style co-op

I think it massively undermines your point that you think LAN co-op outnumbers people who want online co-op. People don't just want online co-op to play with random strangers, they use it to play with people they know, because it's, you know, 2012. I use online to paly games with my relatives, coworkers, other friends and their friends. LAN play hasn't been relevant for me since I graduated from college, in 1997. People who "don't spend their time on gaming news sites and forums" have probably never laid eyes on a LAN game in their life.

If a co-op game is online only, I could see it as an inconvenience; point against. If it were LAN only with no online, it would be a bizarre throwback from the turn of the century.

Maybe you missed my point or it needed more clarity, but saying LAN/friend I meant LAN-style/friends-over-internet style ... ie any kind of networked connection not involving a random player-matchmaking like service.

With this clarification I will stand behind my thoughts: the majority of people who have bought Diablo 3 did not buy it because of the ease of random co-op OR the auction house. They bought it to play single player or co-op with friends/people they know. I am further willing to bet that the lack of these "features"

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2012, 18:55.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
14. Re: etc., etc. Jun 1, 2012, 11:25 UnderDown

Rattlehead wrote on May 31, 2012, 21:54:
Ah this again...people that buy the game but still complain about the DRM even though it was announced months before release.

Strange how the people with a spotty internet connection can stay online all day QQing about the DRM.

Sigh
Point one: Ubisoft had always-online DRM but that didn't mean that all game data & gameplay were server side & latency affected. I find it amazing how many people still. don't. understand. the. difference. Many people didn't know that 'always online' meant "the game is effectively a 4 person MMO with auction house" (a client-server model for game play, which is different from the 'always online' account authentication).

Point 2: You do realise that browsing the internet is perfectly doable with a less than stellar internet connection with high latency, but playing an action-RPG like diablo as an MMO is not?

This has meant many people who loved diablo & similar games like titan quest either cannot play, or get a poorer and often frustrating gameplay experience. This game does not need internet multiplayer.

The fact is, a game that is perfectly suited to an offline experience Blizzard has chosen to make online server-client only for one reason: RMAH revenue stream. They need the best protection they have for their baby, which is them controlling all game data. They even went a step further and made buying equipment from auction house almost necessary for the higher difficulties for all but the most grind-happy hardcore players.

I would bet that the majority of Diablo 3 players really only want to play single player & LAN/friend style co-op, and don't really care about the ease of random co-op play & the auction house. These are people who don't spend their time on gaming news sites and forums.

For those who bring up the hacking issue - well that is Blizzard's problem. I didn't have any hacking/duping problems in Diablo, titan quest or dungeon siege because I only played single player & LAN, not with random strangers.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Next Week; Real Money Auctions Postponed Again
15. Re: Diablo III Patch Next Week; Real Money Auctions Postponed Again May 25, 2012, 00:02 UnderDown

Cutter wrote on May 24, 2012, 23:33:
And to think how much nonsense could be avoided if they had kept the SP portion of the game offline, or at least had an offline mode that wasn't tied to the AH.

And I find it funny others have mentioned - which I theorized a while back - that drops are intentionally tweaked downward so that people need to rely on the AH to make viable characters for end-game. I certainly wouldn't put it past Actibblizz at this point.

It does seem like the game direction is around making the RMAH a viable revenue generator - server hosted games only (no offline), RMAH delays, extremely rare loot (people getting to lvl 60 without a legendary or set drop), the skill nerfs including the complete removal of a skill from the game whilst they decide what to do with it (in a normal single player game this wouldn't be removed, just updated with a patch).

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 01:54 UnderDown

eunichron wrote on May 19, 2012, 19:50:
Cutter wrote on May 19, 2012, 18:41:
Edit: Just checked Amazon to see if they state anything about online connection required and they don't. So fair enough, maybe some people didn't know, but I still find it hard to believe it's the volume it apparently is.

I just checked my box and it says at the bottom, just above the system requirements, "INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED. PLAYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL APPLICABLE INTERNET FEES. BATTLE.NET REGISTRATION REQUIRED." And it says on page 3 of the manual, "Diablo III is a completely integrated online experience..."

So, it's not for lack of Blizzard getting the information out there, but who actually reads the system requirements and manual anyway?

Always-on DRM - INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED - isn't just constant checking: it is client/server setup like an MMO, where crticial game data (AI + loot) is managed server side. How many casual followers are going to know this, and more the point, know exactly what this means?

This means anyone who doesn't have a low latency (read under 150-200ms) connection to Blizzard will never have a smooth, flawless gameplay experience (like D1&2, Titan Quest etc). Not even single player.

eg. Australian/NZ players, due to basic physics principles (distance for optic fibre transmission) are finding hell/inferno more difficult than NA players because, at best, they are playing with 200-300ms delay (and most of the time higher than that). Many can't really play at all because they don't have a rock solid fast internet connection.

Unless Blizzard install localised servers, anyone with either large physical distance between them & Blizzard servers, or poor 'net connection can't enjoy the game.

What is more irritating is the thousands of people defending Blizzard for this implementation, usually without understanding the problem.

I've read quite a few reviews of the game: and as this article suggests, many of them either dismiss or completely ignore this aspect. Because this critical flaw is left out, some players could read these reviews and buy the game oblivious to the fact that they may not be able to have a good gameplay experience - EVER - no matter what they do.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2012, 03:53.

4 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo