Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ceribaen

Real Name Ceribaen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ceribaen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 15, 2012, 15:34
Total Comments 131 (Novice)
User ID 57420

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure
9. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 3, 2013, 20:23 Ceribaen

I think their biggest problem was that they didn't provide any way to get past level 10 (I think? whatever that first tier was) without going to a subscription.

If they'd followed Turbine's F2P model - and allowed purchases to get over those tier jumps, more people would have played. As it was, everyone just played to free level cap and that was it - because anyone else in chat always talked about how empty it was if you went over it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:36 Ceribaen

InBlack wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 10:30:
Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 10:13:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 09:07:
I was using external storage on my PS3 to dump a bunch of kids shows and movies on there, so kids could watch Mighty Machines the 3,000th time without using my internet bandwith via Netflix.
Never managed to get the streaming work from my NAS for some reason.

Anyways I think Sony will change these things down the road, but it is funny readin how people are upset and cancel their preorders over this.

Haha yeah, considering the poor media related features in both consoles at the previous launch I don't know why anyone is upset. It'll come later on and until then there are plenty of alternatives.

Yeah thats why I would want to buy a console today. So I can play MP3s, stream from my PC (lol) and plug in USB sticks. Not that Im buying a console, but if I was thats exactly what I would look for in one.

This is kind of a silly attitude, of course people want to consolidate devices whenever possible. Many people can't or won't run an HDMI cable for logistical (large home) or legal reasons (renting) and that's not a permanent solution for some anyway, many homes don't have a dedicated desktop PC anymore for example and someone else might be using a laptop or etc.

There are a lot of edge case scenarios that media STBs can fulfill and anything that saves space in the entertainment stand is welcome IMHO.

I dont buy it. Most people I know are getting the PS4 because they want to play GTAVI or Gran Turismo 7 or whatever, I doubt they will go "Oh damn, no USB support, oh well I guess Im going to skip the Ps4 after all...."

Seeing as how my PS3 does DLNA and music playing and such. I think I'll wait for these features to be re-enabled before buying.

Basically by removing them, I've seen quite a few people like me looking at their ps3 and deciding there's no reason to upgrade in the near future.

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
15. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 13, 2013, 17:47 Ceribaen

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 13:31:
lol, do you honestly expect anyone to get the roms legally? Stop insulting our intelligence, everyone downloads their roms, despite what you say. It's like those warez groups who put a little txt file that says "if you like this game, buy it and support the developers."

Emulation is piracy because everyone just pirates their ROMs.

What about those just collecting roms of cartridges they already own?
That's just format shifting then. Not to mention the fact that there doesn't exist a way to do so and give money to the original developers or current rights holders in a lot of cases (if they even still exist)

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Loot Hunt Begins
6. Re: Borderlands 2 Loot Hunt Begins Oct 12, 2013, 13:13 Ceribaen

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 12:00:
Moog wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 10:41:
> Only US players are eligible for cash prizes and sponsored prizes

I've never understood this - they're only too happy to take my ŁUK but I can't win their prizes!

I have your answer and then you will understand... Governments, Laws and Lawyers. Contests have plenty of red tape just in a single country. Bringing in a world scope... much more money and complexity. I'm sure if it was just "Hey guys were having a contest" and that was all, we'd all be in.

Even within countries you have exclusions for the same reason.
For example in Canada - a lot of contests will exclude Quebec residents, because to get a lottery license for the contest you have to pay the provincial government a % of the value of the prize.

Even the difference in Canada and US - I believe one of the simple red tape examples is the 'skill-testing question' requirement for any Canadian prize. It can't just be a straight up draw (or else it falls under gambling laws). If they don't want to get tripped up by something silly like that among whatever other differences - Canadian residents are often excluded.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 18:28 Ceribaen

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 17:26:
Ceribaen wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 14:06:
iPad has the obvious market advantage.

That's not true, it's been close for a while but Android recently overtook iOS in tablets just like they did smartphones years ago. The only reason there's a misconception of "Apple domination" is the sheer volume of advertising shit they shove down our throats in North America, where their market share is strongest.

There are WAY more and better games for Android, not to mention cheaper, all due to its more open nature as a platform. Anything on iOS that's worth playing is going to be on Android as well, and you'll never have a Humble Mobile Bundle for Apple... Just following those, I've amassed dozens of quality games for like $20 total.

Alright I should clarify, I was leaning more towards meaning that the 'AAA' mobile games (and other apps) still tend to be released for iOS first with Android possibly eventually getting a port (Clash of Clans finally on Android...!).

Granted on Android you also have the advantage of grabbing an emulator of your choice and playing whatever ROMs you want. And it's possible to do see with a gamepad even (not sure if iOS devices have that potential?).

I have actually in the past used my N10 where I hooked it up to my computer monitor and played some SNES Chrono Trigger with a PS3 controller.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 14:06 Ceribaen

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 11:31:
What tablet would you guys recommend purely for gaming? I'm going to be stuck traveling for quite a bit for some time to come, so I figured I'd pick up a decent gaming tablet and play some of the better mobile/tablet games.

iPad? Android? Anyone have any recommendations?

iPad has the obvious market advantage.
Though I like my Nexus 10 personally.

But when travelling - you need to really watch out for which games have online only requirements. Squenix was bad about this and I'm not sure which ones they've removed (or if they have) the requirements for and on which platforms. At one point they even disabled games on devices that were rooted for Android but I think they at least smartened up about that one.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 14:04 Ceribaen

Redmask wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 23:07:
Why would you want to play a 20+ hour JRPG on a friggin cell phone? Those games have been ported to every other handheld and major platform under the sun anyway, don't buy Square's overpriced cellphone crap.

I don't think there's a FFVI for DS yet is there? That's the only other handheld I have these days...
Plus it's more a matter of having less devices to travel with, I already have managed to convert to reading novels off a 4.3" screen... why not play JRPGs as well? Something to mix it up with Angry Birds, Where's My ...., and Cut the Rope.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 9, 2013, 21:42 Ceribaen

FFVI to phone could be interesting...
Though anyone know if they removed the online requirement for their games? That's always been what's held me back from purchasing any of the Squenix games on Android... If I'm on a plane or subway, or inside a building where I can't have reception, I want to be able to play.

News Comments > Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition Next Month
3. Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition Next Month Oct 7, 2013, 15:32 Ceribaen

I guess that explains why it's been difficult to find in stores now that I'm looking to pick it up...  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2013, 21:27 Ceribaen

Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 14:25:
Couldn't pass up Infinite for 13 bucks.

Steam didn't email me that it was on sale and I missed it!
Oh well I'm sure come Christmas time it'll hit that price again, plus I have about 100 other things I'll play before I get to it.

News Comments > EverQuest II Giving Away Level 85 Characters
13. Re: EverQuest II Giving Away Level 85 Characters Oct 3, 2013, 11:58 Ceribaen

BitWraith wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 09:57:
InBlack wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 09:30:
BitWraith wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 08:45:
This is an interesting idea. I've been thinking for a while now that the idea of leveling up in MMO's is a dead one. Blizzard, SOE, etc keep spending millions of bucks and thousands of hours coming up with leveling content that is usually digested by the player base in a short amount of time.

The paradigm probably needs to shift away from a leveling game and into A "end game is the game" mindset.

Wrong. This is exactly the biggest problem with all MMOs and a fundamental design flaw. The END GAME being the GAME destroys any meaningful gaming experience. In my opinion the END GAME should begin at level 1, the 'emergent' end game should be on going and it shouldnt be something that is dictated by PVE content but should be based on PvP interaction instead, whether trading, the politics of running corporations/guilds/clans and faction warfare and obviously PvP.

I dunno. I've played every major MMO release. I am a huge MMO fan. I've seen these games launch, succeed, then die horribly.

PVP centric games will never be successful with the current RPG leveling paradigm. The problems are:

1. Stuff is too hard to get. Older players rape newer players and the community stagnates. Especially if said stuff is tied to the PVP game itself.
2. Leveling takes too long. Imagine if Battlefield 4 released and you weren't allowed to play online unless you grind out boring BS for a few months first? This is basically what MMO's are telling you to do.

Of course, EQ2 isn't a PVP centric game (excepting PVP servers). Interestingly, Everquest Next looks to be the paradigm shift needed. I'm anxiously awaiting that game.

This I take exception too and I believe is the part of the paradigm that needs to be corrected. Basically, if the 'end game' starts at level 1 it isn't a grind and it doesn't take too long because you're enjoying everything from the start.

MMOs need to go back to promoting some group play again prior to the end game, there are too many which feel like single player experiences when I actually do want to go and play cooperatively with random strangers to some extent -- but the last few that I've tried seem to almost actively discourage that by forcing solo instances on you at the end of a quest line, or not creating enough of a challenge that you feel it is more efficient to pair up with someone else.

Note I'm not saying return to forced grouping like EQ1 days, but to find a healthy balance between solo and group play.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Extended Free Trial This Week; Patch Next Week
19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Extended Free Trial This Week; Patch Next Week Sep 25, 2013, 09:43 Ceribaen

So for those of us who may pick it up depending on sale price... what's a good server to end up on?  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Extended Free Trial This Week; Patch Next Week
3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Extended Free Trial This Week; Patch Next Week Sep 24, 2013, 14:07 Ceribaen

That's all I can recall as well... and missed them before.

If it's more than 30%, I'll buy it. Though really don't have the time to play any mmo-like game right now, so probably a bad idea...

News Comments > Warhammer Online Ends in December
6. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 22:43 Ceribaen

I always enjoyed the free trial that they ran with it whenever I decided to pop back in... but felt that there was no reason to sub because once you got past the free cap, the general consensus was that the population died out.

I always felt that they needed to go the DDO route and allow you to purchase a way to take your free trial character past the level plateaus (or grind out an ingame method as an alternative). That likely would have brought in a lot more people to stick around.

News Comments > Wizardry on Steam
3. Re: Wizardry on Steam Sep 10, 2013, 21:17 Ceribaen

Have these already from GoG... but thinking I might grab it on Steam just for convenience sake of installing/launching.

Wish GoG had a better way to download/install/manage your games. I seem to have it keep wanting to start an install of whatever I last installed on every reboot lately.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Level Caps Explained
2. Re: Borderlands 2 Level Caps Explained Aug 30, 2013, 10:50 Ceribaen

Jedi Master wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 09:48:
Balanced for 4 players. Wonderful.

What about those of us that usually play with just 2? Why is Gearbox apparently unable to scale difficulty by player count properly?

To date, despite having over 300 hrs in BL2 I've NEVER beaten any raid boss but the Warrior. Why? With 2 players only, and the game geared not to give out the good stuff if you only play with 2, you NEVER are strong enough.

I don't have a single legendary item like Conference Call or the Bee or the Infinity pistol. Over 300 hrs, and never seen one.

I don't know 2 other people to play BL2 with that are available when I can play. I don't know ONE. I don't play with random people.

So I'm doomed by their decision to INSIST on 4 players to never be able to beat pretty much any boss. I think we might have beaten Pyro Pete once or Hyperion once, but they dropped I think a single orange item that was only mildly interesting.

Then there's people like me that just want to shoot things on their own occasionally and couldn't even beat the boom boom boss at the start

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 100 Titles
18. Re: Steam Greenlights 100 Titles Aug 29, 2013, 15:31 Ceribaen

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 08:27:
Keep an eye on NEO Scavenger. I tried the beta last year and it's a very neat and challenging survival game. Picture an early 90's style RPG inspired by Cormac McCarthy's The Road and David Brin's The Postman.

It reads very similarly to Don't Starve.. seems there's a whole survival genre kicking up with indie titles lately?

News Comments > FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response
54. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 20:55 Ceribaen

Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 18:10:
sauron wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 13:04:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 12:57:
Still not sure what I'm going to do about TESO now we know they are going with $15 US a month subs. I might have paid $10 a month, if the game had been good, $15 is just too much now days.

Same here. I occasionally pay $10 for VIP for a month in LOTRO if I'm playing a lot (eg off work sick for a few days), but in general I stopped subbing for MMOs. For $15 a month standard TESO would have to be really good.

For FFXIV to keep my interest it will have to be good as well, but I already have a bucketload of friends in that game who are coming over from FFXI - a ready-made community and guild. That's another factor.

Best deal of the lot is GW2, which is totally free. Only problem is, I ran out of content in that one. Release an expansion already!
Same, sort of got tired of GW2 after leveling 3 toons. Now I'm playing The Secret World, which I got from Steam for $15 US and spent $10 more to get issue 7. Like GW 2 it's buy once, play for free. Considering you can get it for $15 or less, it's a great deal too.

It's actually got GW2 beat on several counts, where GW2 wins on dyes, TSW wins on clothing. There are literally 1000s of pieces of clothes, different colors and styles. You can be dressed in a business suit, beach clothes to Steampunk. Also cutscenes are pretty odd in GW2, though maybe it's intended as an artistic style, yet it always seem sort of cheap to me. TSW on the other hand has much higher quality cutscenes, fully voiced and 3D. The animations are a bit weak but still a multitude better than GW2. Imo, the DX 9 graphics (since dx 11 really isn't working well) are much more detailed and it's great to have a modern setting for once. Every major mission (100s) has a (skippable, if you wish) cutscene and each one is story based/related.

TSW really does have some issues with gameplay, mostly because there are so many choices it's easy to get overwhelmed. The devs try to say "you can't make a mistake" when referring to spending points. It stems from the fact that if you play enough, you can get every ability and skill. This is really disingenuous, since you can easily spread yourself too thin and ending up with an unfixable (no reset) weak build, at least until your higher level. Also, after the first area, the difficulty scales pretty fast. This causes many to do the first area twice, for the extra skills and abilities. It's really important to know which build your going to use from the start. It really helps to spend an hour looking at builds at the official forums, fan sites or asking in chatz.

The dungeons are pretty nice no real trash mobs, you move from boss to boss. Now some bosses summon adds but it's mostly to mix things up, with different play styles and difficulty.

Personally don't see how you can go wrong with TSW, especially if you like modern settings and killing zombies! Zombie

I gave TSW a try a while back... some of the quests were interesting, but overall I wasn't a fan of the combat and it was way too solo oriented. I mean even that chat was relatively quiet - at most it was people asking for puzzle spoilers and others saying that's not allowed in chat, go look it up online.

Tera actually managed to hold my interest longer, though the action combat gets old as a tank or a healer (for me)... as a healer I'd rather play whackamole with F1/F2/F3/F4 to select targets than trying to target a tiny character running around willy nilly behind some big baddie.

Right now I think I'm happiest with Defiance actually. Yeah, it's another solo oriented mmo... but there's something cathartic about sniping mutants from ledges, and you do have the co-op missions and Arkfalls for a chance to run into other people and work together occasionally for a common goal when it strikes your fancy.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
19. Re: Its Arithmetic Duh Aug 26, 2013, 19:28 Ceribaen

Tim Collins wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 10:19:
Chromecast + Plex = Local Streaming.....no reason to complain.

One of these days I need to get a Plex box properly up and running. Installed it, ran into some issue building the library I think... and then just got sidetracked by everything else (I think Arrested Development and Orange is the New Black on Netflix kept me entertained for a bit).

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions
10. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 10:42 Ceribaen

Gojo wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:12:
So? WoW has done this since day one, but it wasn't called micro transactions. You had to pay to change servers, change your name, you can now buy mounts and pets.
This sounds like the same thing to me.

And EQ did it even before WoW did...

131 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo