Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ceribaen

Real Name Ceribaen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ceribaen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 15, 2012, 15:34
Total Comments 177 (Novice)
User ID 57420

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing
15. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 18:37 Ceribaen

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 18:05:
Tim Collins wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 17:00:
DAOC had/has lots of multiboxers

Seeing as the majority of the time when you are running with a squad in DAOC you are on /follow and assist targeting... I would find it hard to tell the difference.

That and back in the day when you could have concentration buffs being effective in the entire RvR zone... Buffbots were all the rage.

Then again, so was Gear/Radar... but that's another story.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins
23. Re: Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins Jun 23, 2014, 15:20 Ceribaen

Creston wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 13:58:
Verno wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 13:22:
That's straight from Bethesda though and they would know.

It isn't, though, right? It came from some website who claimed it came straight from Bethesda, and said website also claimed they got sales numbers from Steam. Neither of them give out sales numbers (in Bethesda's case at least not per platform.)

just being on the Steam top10 list isn't a guarantee of millions of sales or something. I think the volume level of steam sales would surprise you. We've seen a few devs up near the top who say they sold 300,000 which is nothing to scoff at but certainly not millions.

That's for a dev who leads the sales in one week. Skyrim was in the top ten for TWO YEARS. DayZ reached a million sales after being the top seller for.. what, two months?

3 million copies simply doesn't add up. Sorry, but it's my pet peeve.

(If fucking Todd Howard would just admit that PC sales of Skyrim have been fucking gargantuan, I could let this matter rest already!!!)

Are we discussing the numbers from Ars Technica?
Steam Gauge
Followup article

In that they claim based on metrics which they check against some who did give them numbers - 6M owners of Skyrim on PC.

I think during non-sale periods the sale numbers are significantly lower so I doubt we're seeing 100k sales a week for the #1 game. I mean who here really buys anything outside of Summer/Holiday sales?

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
10. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights Jun 12, 2014, 12:40 Ceribaen

At this point they should probably just stop publicizing the Greenlight admissions.

I mean really what's the purpose? There's not even a good link/switchover so that if you're following a game in the greenlight program to have it move to your wishlist/be notified when it's actually available for sale.
Or even that it was admitted unless you read these notices.

They'd be better off just giving a notice 'Game that you are following is now greenlit', moving it to your wishlist, then advising you when it's available for sale.

Anything else, if it's any good will end up rising to the top through word of mouth.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay
8. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Jun 6, 2014, 12:12 Ceribaen

Cutter wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 11:43:
Creston wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 11:07:
I'll admit I haven't really kept track of this one. Is it like that dragonknight divinity game, where you can change into a dragon, and it's sorta Skyrim-lite, or is it like that Diablo / ARPG game they made?

It's an old school isometric CRPG like BG, Ultima et al. but better and it has an editor! Any old school CRPG fan worth their salt has to buy this!

The other thing I like, which I haven't seen in a crpg game in a long time - is how you can use the environment.

There's moveable barrels/boxes (some strength checks involved), you can use water spells to put out fires... set oil slicks on fire... etc

I've just been popping in and doing the tutorial round every few updates with different character abilities and it's a lot of fun, can't wait for the game to be finished to put some real time in it.

News Comments > Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Free Weekend
7. Re: Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Free Weekend Jun 6, 2014, 01:42 Ceribaen

Slick wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 20:29:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 19:11:
It wasn't a massive overhaul, but they did indeed change the UI to be more mouse-friendly and made a handful of quality-of-life improvements to gameplay with 2014.

i don't think it s was console-centric design at all, infact i bought 2013 for my PS3 and i couldn't read the damned card text! 720p FTL. not sure how in the hell that game couldn't run at 1080, but oh well. 2012 on my PC i remember running hot, needs a frame limiter. silly game.

also, anyone got a link for this supposed "build your own deck" 2015 game? cause as far as i know they have a seperate game/service where you can buy every card that's ever existed digitally and play online, MTG:online or something? i know that people play it on twitch.tv all the time, and that the UI is horriffic.

Found this random preview

Mentions you get booster packs even to add to the starter decks.

As far as the UI was concerned, it's mostly that it felt like it was designed to be played with a gamepad vs m/kb - considering almost everything was all scroll wheel style. At least in 2013 and 2012 as I remember them.

4. Re: Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Free Weekend Jun 5, 2014, 18:33 Ceribaen

bhcompy wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 18:09:
Ceribaen wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 18:04:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 17:57:
Last hurray for Magic 2014. Magic 2015 will likely hit by midmonth if prior years are any indication

2014 was the first year I actually didn't buy of DoTP, have they made any actual improvements or still have the random bugs, and mostly just more like EA Sports games roster updates?

I did not play the previous years. There are a few bugs, but nothing huge. 2014 uses pre-built decks and about half of them were shit and half were okay and 2 or 3 outliers were really good. 2015 is moving away from pre-built decks. You build your own decks in 2015.

Ooh. Finally!
Yeah the previous ones were all pre-built decks with the only customization is whether or not you want to include your unlocked cards as you work through the campaigns.
They usually added one new game mode and kept with the same terrible console-centric UI that eventually you'd get used to.
And the puzzle scenarios sometimes were a little too specific in their order of play to complete (there was one or two where you actually could achieve a goal multiple ways, but unless you chose the planned route it wouldn't trigger a victory).

2. Re: Magic 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers Free Weekend Jun 5, 2014, 18:04 Ceribaen

bhcompy wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 17:57:
Last hurray for Magic 2014. Magic 2015 will likely hit by midmonth if prior years are any indication

2014 was the first year I actually didn't buy of DoTP, have they made any actual improvements or still have the random bugs, and mostly just more like EA Sports games roster updates?

News Comments > Defiance Now Free-to-Play
8. Re: Defiance Now Free-to-Play Jun 5, 2014, 00:03 Ceribaen

Rhett wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 21:25:
I haven't played this since open beta on the 360... Anyone know how the game is, now? I kinda enjoyed it... Sorta like a 3rd person Borderlands (which is exactly what I've been craving since BL1 came out).

I actually kinda enjoyed it more than I do BL1/BL2.. but I never spent much time in either of those to be honest. BL2 I got stuck solo against a very early boss that tosses bombs and frustrated with it.

My biggest issue Defiance is that when you want to play with a partner, it keeps forcing you solo in instanced missions... not sure if that's been fixed. But the team play instances were alright, and the Arcfalls were fun (if repetitive)... basically the same mechanic as Rifts.

Haven't had it installed for a while, but I might reinstall with the show - I thought it was a nice complement to play while watching.

News Comments > WildStar Head Start Underway
9. Re: WildStar Head Start Underway Jun 1, 2014, 20:18 Ceribaen

Kobalt wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 19:36:
Yeah some weird things going on with this game. The art style and humor makes you think it's a goofy kids game, but it probably one of the most hardcore mmos in a long time.

Also it's supposed to be in the middle of a battle of highly advanced intergalactic civilizations. But for some reason they share cities on a planet and the ships don't just blow them up from orbit because? I think I got the biggest wtf moment when I did a quest where you are burning the corpses of plague victims just like in the plaguelands in wow. It's really how bizarre how similar the game is to fantasy mmos while at the same time having giant mechs blowing shit up.

To me, the best way I've thought of being able to describe... it's like the lovechild of WoW and GW2, who happens to be best friends with BL2.

It's basically space fantasy - so you get a little bit of scifi flavour mixed in with fantasy elements.

I seriously considered giving it a purchase, but decided like most that the 60 price tag was too much to start. If it was 40 - I'd probably have tried it for a few months.

News Comments > Mythic Entertainment Closed
16. Re: Mythic Entertainment Closed May 29, 2014, 23:43 Ceribaen

Axis wrote on May 29, 2014, 20:06:
DAOC had the best overall pvp in any mmo to date, at the very least the most memorable.

Once a developer gets bought up in the politics of publishers like EA, it's difficult to have any true creative say from then on out.

I generally despise most AAA games these days -- I could care less if every one of them went under and only indies thrived.

The indies of today were the AAA's of the 90s, and I'm fine without big budget voice acting, cut-scenes, and other aesthetic crap I tend to skip anyway.

I still remember getting up on an alarm clock/having call trees to attack/defend relic raids in the early days of the game.
The other thing I remember from that game was at the time it might as well have been called 'Dating Agency of Camelot' because of how many various types of on(and off)line relationships formed and broke in that game.

News Comments > Mythic Entertainment Closed
15. Re: Mythic Entertainment Closed May 29, 2014, 23:41 Ceribaen

Talisorn wrote on May 29, 2014, 19:01:
Nighthawk wrote on May 29, 2014, 18:46:
Dark Age of Camelot (2001)

The one bright light in all of that.

But to be honest, I didn't mind Warhammer Online. At that time though, it just wasn't a patch on the 600lb Gorilla in the corner hogging all the MMO bananas.

To me the biggest issue with Warhammer Online was how they did their F2P/'unlimited trial' model.

You could play the full first tier unrestricted, but while you did - all you ever heard was how empty it was past that tier. If you subbed, then unsubbed... you also lost access to being able to play for free in the first tier as well.

So it pretty much discouraged you from ever doing anything other than play the first 10 levels of the game. If they'd followed Turbine's lead with DDO (and later LOTRO) and allowed microtransactions (or rare drops) to allow you to progress into the next tiers, they'd have organically grown the population across the game as well as having people who might periodically sub/unsub and keep coming back as they feel.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2014, 17:15 Ceribaen

Cutter wrote on May 29, 2014, 15:52:
ForgedReality wrote on May 29, 2014, 15:30:
Burrito of Peace wrote on May 29, 2014, 15:25:
ForgedReality wrote on May 29, 2014, 15:10:
You CAN'T be serious! Holy shit! Either you're trolling, or you're 9.

Or he's from a country other than the US where Reading Rainbow wasn't aired.

Cutter, Reading Rainbow was a kids show that encouraged literacy and a love of learning, It was hosted most often by Levar Burton.

But it's practically got its own set of memes online. Who doesn't know that theme song?

Damn foreigners like me don't. I think I heard of it once years ago but I've never seen it. Kids shows aired here - when I was a kid - Mr. Rogers, Captain Kangaroo, Sesame Street, The Electric Company, and the very Canadian Mr. Dressup and The Friendly Giant. No Reading Rainbow. Though out of Buffalo we did get the Commander Tom cartoon cavalcade.

Edit: Ahhh, now that Jimmy Fallon doing Jim Morrison doing the Reading Rainbow makes sense.

Weren't you able to get PBS? Was available OTA at least where I grew up. That and Wishbone were awesome!! Also believe that PBS was on basic Canadian cable packages too.

In fact it was the Buffalo affiliate that first created it... WNED.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 15:07 Ceribaen

nimski wrote on May 27, 2014, 12:38:
I wonder why they choose Mexican versions for importation. Canada is a lot closer (to the NE) and all the soft drinks and candy bars are made with sugar.

Canadian pop uses HFCS as well, it's just labelled different. Glucose-Fructose is HFCS in Canada. For it to be sugar it is Sucrose in ingredient labels.

Sources:
Eat Right Ontario
Canadian Sugar Institute

News Comments > Expeditions: Conquistador Editor Released
4. Re: Expeditions: Conquistador Editor Released May 27, 2014, 15:04 Ceribaen

Cutter wrote on May 27, 2014, 13:44:
Jerykk wrote on May 27, 2014, 12:23:
Great game that was sadly overlooked. I wonder if the historical setting just doesn't resonate with most people.

Agreed. I loved the hell out of it. People are nuts not to give it a whirl for $5.

I'm just starting to try it out now, picked up a while back off a recommendation here.
Definitely interesting and still just getting my feet wet. Managed to lose one of my crew to a fatal wound early on - and I'd say the resource management part for food and such early on feels a touch tedious.. but I haven't really read up on any strategies and haven't even made it to the second town yet, was more in an exploring mood.

News Comments > Steam In-Home Streaming Launches
19. Re: Steam In-Home Streaming Launches May 23, 2014, 14:42 Ceribaen

beaves wrote on May 21, 2014, 18:54:
This worked really well, although your host pc must be a windows pc and you must install the latest steam updates. I used my linux pc as the client. When you launch steam on the client pc you can see all your installed games and instead of play there is a stream button.
It's a good way to play windows games on linux, when your wife is facebooking on your windows pc.

How did you pull this off? When I quickly tested it out today - it basically just looks like a remote desktop protocol. I ran up to my other PC and changed the active window - went back to the laptop and it was now displaying whatever was on on my monitor on the desktop PC.

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
9. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights May 15, 2014, 00:37 Ceribaen

Sweet! Franchise Hockey Manager made it!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation May 12, 2014, 19:46 Ceribaen

NeOCidE wrote on May 12, 2014, 14:01:
My word, attitudes towards Diablo III have changed. This game fun now?

The console version (I've got PS3) is actually pretty fun. Never had to deal with RMAH and Online only (and related lagspikes and maintenance downtimes) either.

Though - for the console version expansions, it says it includes all the other bits as well... so basically if you already have D3, you're paying again for D3+expansion? Was Reaper of Souls PC 40 bucks at launch?

News Comments > WildStar Beta Open To All
48. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 9, 2014, 16:03 Ceribaen

ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 8, 2014, 16:38:
Ceribaen-
It's different for sure! I heal on my Esper, and I have telegraphs and AoE non-targeted heals. For one of my heals, it lays down a long strip of healing space in front of me. To you as someone I want to heal, you'd see a green line.. something like 25 foot of a green space. If you stood in it, you'd get healed. So for me, I need to line up people I want to heal with. It's not simple as just clicking and healing. However, there are healing spells that are click and heal, ans well as AoE heals you'd find in other MMOs. The telegraph system is pretty cool though, it's different.. it makes you have to position yourself correctly, and not just sleepwalk through healing like I have done in other MMOs.

Creston- The game has so much more than just end game raiding.. but the devs have said that for end game raiders, they will have a good challenge. Will there be a big enough base to sustain the game.. I don't know. You could say that about any MMO that doesnt already have a base. Look what Rift did.. unknown IP.. came in and did well. I don't see why Carbine can't do that with Wildstar.

I'll say this.. if Blizzard/Valve made WS.. it'd be insanely popular.

Downloaded it last night - gave it a quick spin before work this morning... finished out the tutorial area I think (have the choice now as to which area I want to go to and leaving the Ark Ship behind).

I'll say this - the music is nice. First mmo in a while I didn't want to turn sound off and just listen to my own stuff.

Made myself an Esper - combat is... different. Not used to having to stand still to attack (is this for all classes or just some abilities?) Otherwise has a bit of a GW2 feel about it (as a recent comparison).

I actually see this more as a crossover between WoW and GW2 from my first impressions in the tutorial.

Going to be spending my forseeable free time with it though to see what it's all about and maybe try an engineer too.

The way the minimap works isn't entirely intuitive though, I found myself more just clicking the quest to get the direction arrow to tell me where to go next.

News Comments > WildStar Beta Open To All
31. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:00 Ceribaen

EvilAsh wrote on May 8, 2014, 14:16:
To suggest this game is a wow clone .. is like Saying that Checkers is a clone of Chess. This is an action combat mmo rpg. ACtion combat is NOTHING like the control system in wow. Nothing. There is no tab targeting. ITs skill based controls. Thats right.. your skill is what matters. There is double jump, There is side rolls. All controlled by you. you have to aim at players to hit them. Thats right no auto target no auto hit. There is no insane CC that dominates the pvp seen. You will not get cc into the ground. The game has humor yes.. its like Borderlands 2 style humor. Its got awesome housing. Its got Tough dungeons..that will last a while. Yes tough dungeons.. and the idea is that you level up doing these dungeons to get you prepared for raiding down the road.. Oh and there is raiding content as you level up as well. AT level 10 you can experience your first 20 man world boss. And yes it has open world pvp oh yeah!!

So you're saying it's more like an MMO BL2 or Defiance (or more like Tera Online?)

How does healing work without tab targets?

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 7, 2014, 16:18 Ceribaen

eRe4s3r wrote on May 7, 2014, 11:44:
Parias wrote on May 7, 2014, 11:11:
A shame about that Outcast remake - I hope they're still able to churn out something good.

At least they understand why it failed. A good example on how not to run a KS

Loading Human looks really neat by the way, and if you look for other Vr game with interesting idea

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/494598080/the-gallery-six-elements

I don't think they do entirely though?
Statements like 'we should have lowered our goal and included more platforms' and 'we should have lowered our stretch goals' sounds like a recipe for long delays, additional funding drives and generally just poor budgeting.

Either it takes 600k to do what they wanted or it doesn't. Lowering the budget and increasing the scope doesn't fix that. About the only thing it sounds like they think should have done is promise the moon, rather than pitch a realistic project.

177 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo