Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ceribaen

Real Name Ceribaen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ceribaen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 15, 2012, 15:34
Total Comments 208 (Novice)
User ID 57420

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 27, 2015, 11:33 Ceribaen

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 11:23:
I. FUCKING. HATE. THAT. NAME.

Why the fuck can't they call the first one "Divinity: Original Sin" and the second one "Divinity 2: Second Coming" or something? Dumb.

Because they already have a game called Divinity II?
Seems an odd thing to get upset about.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
4. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 26, 2015, 10:56 Ceribaen

nin wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 10:36:
Tigger wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 10:34:
Is there any sort of project schedule or deliverable plan? They are quick to tell you all the awesome 1007 you will get but come up short on any sort of plan that describes how they will deliver.

Damn, $50 to get a copy of the previous one with it?

Guess I'll pass...looks like they'll do fine w/o me anyway.

25 a game is too much?? Considering it's still 40 for the original at full price, sounds like a good deal to me if you don't have the first already.

As far as schedule goes, who knows, it's KS. But Larian will deliver as they've shown.

News Comments > Some Star Citizen Refunds
55. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 21, 2015, 17:37 Ceribaen

Your premise in point 2 is flawed. The Forbes article would be written in terms of USD as it is written for a US audience, established by the fact that the other numbers used for comparison (ie GTAV at 265M) are also in USD.

So W3 was 32M to develop, and 35M to market. Long story short, Forbes did all the math ahead of time for you.

Considering that CIG has no real need currently to market thanks to how 'viral' any news story they put out is, they basically have 3x the money required right now to develop a game equivalent to W3.

Kxmode wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 17:11:
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 17:04:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 16:23:
So using basic math we can conclude about a 4:1 ratio or 4 times more. Using the same converter I plugged in 67 million Zolty and the US Dollar spit back $18,025,555. Based on a 4:1 ratio I then multiplied 18,025,555 by 4 to come up with 72,102,220.

You just divided by 4 then multiplied by 4...

If you wanted to know how much W3 cost in dollars, you already had the answer. 67 million.

1. 3.72 Polish Zolty = 1 US Dollars (~4:1 ratio established)
2. 67,000,000 Polish Zolty = 18,025,555 US Dollars (currency conversion... not division)
3. 18,025,555 x 4 = 72,102,220 (multiply by 4)

The third step is where we find the equivalent amount in US Dollars. Step 2 doesn't provide an accurate conversion because production totals for AAA-rated titles like Witcher 3 or GTA is never going to be 18 million. I used the 4:1 ratio to help establish the approximate US Dollar equivalent. $72,102,220 was the 4:1 ratio conversion. That amount sounds right.

Could some math whiz help me confirm or correct my numbers?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 14, 2015, 13:42 Ceribaen

I liked Pacific Rim, but honestly... there should have been more monsters vs robots and less character development.

That and not have the final climatic battle be in an environment where the robots are basically useless!

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin II Announced
27. Re: Divinity: Original Sin II Announced Aug 12, 2015, 14:36 Ceribaen

Between this and HBS' upcoming Battletech KS, sounds like there's a second wave of crowdfunding I'm going to have to get involved in.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion This Month
10. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion This Month Aug 5, 2015, 13:06 Ceribaen

deqer wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 12:44:
The game just came out, and already there's an expansion? C'mon...

I understand you're in business to make business, but, at least try to pretend that your expansions have more meaning than just to make more money for yourselves.

5 months for first expansion release, and it's the first of two parts which was originally a single expansion promised in the KS backing plan. And also after several major patch updates for the original game to 'fix' most of the major grievances.

Fail to see the issue here.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Announced
9. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 11:33 Ceribaen

I'm actually pretty stoked about a mech tactical RPG... the only thing better would be the originally teased MW game as posted before me.

But my question is, I thought the Battletech license for PC was a web of who knows who actually owns it these days between FASA, Microsoft, and a few others? Did I miss when that got resolved?

News Comments > More Arkham Knight Issues; GMG on Possible Refunds
34. Re: More Arkham Knight Issues; GMG on Possible Refunds Jun 24, 2015, 22:51 Ceribaen

I swear, these days there needs to be a site that actually tabulates the results of how a game runs on PC/PS4/PS3/XBone/X360

Getting harder and harder to figure out which if any platform to purchase a game for.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted
18. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted Jun 23, 2015, 22:12 Ceribaen

Because they've totally removed the base game from their store.
The cheapest option you have to buy now is Base Game + Expansion for 49.99.

There is no Base Game only for sale that I saw.
Just as there is no Expansion only for sale.

I mean sure if you walk into a brick and mortar store you might find a few unsold copies still on shelves for varying prices, and can pick that up and play without expansion features. But I'm talking about active SKUs on the GW2 site.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted
12. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted Jun 23, 2015, 17:45 Ceribaen

Would it really hurt them that much to have three total SKUs?
1. Expansion plus Base game for 49.99
2. Expansion only for 39.99
3. Keep base game SKU active at 14.99

This way
a) New blood can jump in straight with the expansion and it looks like they get a deal on the base game
b) Veteran players can get the expansion without the base game and save a bit of coin
c) There still exists a base game SKU for those who just want to jump in and give a try AND it sets it up to look like it's a good deal from both a and b's perspectives.

For all their DELUXE and ULTIMATE editions, can either keep that as bonuses on Option 1 OR they just make them DELUXE and ULTIMATE addons priced at 24.99 and 49.99 which grant you all the bonuses associated on top of which ever game you enter with.

News Comments > Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Trailer
2. Re: Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Trailer Jun 15, 2015, 19:40 Ceribaen

Is this just War of the Roses reskinned for Warhammer properties?

Not sure where the 'strategy' part of the game comes from in the trailer... just looks like a FPS deathmatch?

News Comments > Square Enix Reveals Figureheads
4. Re: Square Enix Reveals Figureheads Jun 8, 2015, 14:22 Ceribaen

PHJF wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:00:
While I understand these are quite popular... I have not and have never had any desire to play DotA or its ilk.

Still waiting for the next great FPS, not thinking Overwatch is going to be it.

On the other hand... if this is a Monday Night Fight or Dungeon Defenders type game... where it's an FPS/MOBA/TD style game... in a mech cockpit I could totally get behind this.

At least until the whole freemium/microtransaction bit comes into play and then it's basically Mechwarrior Online.

News Comments > Age of Conan Turns Seven
7. Re: Age of Conan Turns Seven May 20, 2015, 20:10 Ceribaen

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2015, 18:15:
Warhammer Online had that same problem with the first 20 levels being awesome then absolutely zero content afterward. I don't know what they were thinking. Like people just wouldn't notice? Such a shame because their Greenskin campaign was still the most fun of any I've played in an MMO.

But yeah, it's weird to think people still play stuff like this, UO, EQ, etc.

UO and EQ still get played because nostalgia and addictions.
AoC still gets played because some people are masochists.

Warhammer Online, I wish they'd followed Turbine's route with DDO - and let you have a free to play account and buy items in a cash shop that would let you cross the level boundaries (or find them in the wild). The first ten levels were fun because there was always people there to play with. I never attempted a paid account because at the time at least, I was told that your account would not revert to a free trial once you paid... and I didn't feel like creating another one if I didn't like how things were beyond.

But I probably would have dropped some money to move on to the next area - and I'm sure I'm not the only one... and that would have helped the biggest complaints I always heard was that the world was basically single player past that until 'end game' because the population was so low.

News Comments > Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter
3. Re: Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter May 5, 2015, 19:50 Ceribaen

Agreed.

Give me a narrative starfighter, with the Mechwarrior salvaging/upgrade components from end of mission/between mission and I'd be in heaven.

Can always add co-op and deathmatch modes after.

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Beta
3. Re: GOG Galaxy Beta May 5, 2015, 19:46 Ceribaen

Honestly, this might actually get me using GOG a bit more.
Main reason I don't use it is that it's such a pain to navigate the library in the browser, try using their download manager, and then it always tells me updates are available but never quite works right.

Got a few of my kickstarter backed games on Steam just for the convenience of the client.

News Comments > EverQuest Emulator Legal
11. Re: EverQuest Emulator Legal May 5, 2015, 15:41 Ceribaen

I remember the live invasions that AC used to run. That was always fun. I think that AC was also the first MMO to have world-altering events in free monthly updates.

Doing brand new missions/zones is definitely a ton of fun. Actually managed to do that a couple times in both LOTRO and Rift. And of course trying to figure out things like BWL and AQ40 in WoW - which was slightly less fun since instead of 5 people it was 40 involved.

I miss the days of crowd control and splitting pulls being skills required - they basically merged all of that into the 'tank' role of mmos these days. I had an SK with a pre-nerf clicky CoS (acquired through some very good trading in EC) and Jboots (which I happened on by pure luck in the zone early one morning).

Was slowly working on building the Iksar SK quest weapon which was fun until they opened it up to all races, and suddenly I had to compete with the 999999999 Dark Elf alts of people in the major guilds. That and then stupid moon expansion facelift that turned my iksar into a godzilla wannabe is basically what killed it for me.

KS wrote on May 5, 2015, 15:31:
The three biggest joys I've had in MMOs, going back past EQ and Ultima Online to text MMOs were, in order:

1. Live invasions, seen only twice, once in UO and once in EQ (opening of dark elfs or something) where monsters overrun zones. "To hell with your levelling and travel plans."

Awesome. Most people are losers who don't like that. Screw them, base fools all.

2. Grouping with people to do a new mission or zone nobody's done before. Done this precisely once, in Dungeons & Dragons Online.

5 people, "What do we do?". "I don't know.". "I thought you know. NOBODY KNOWS???"

Had a blast for a couple of hours figuring out the puzzles, stumbling into monsters, etc.

3. Grouping to take out singleton yard trash, ala early EQ.

The problem is making grouping easy, intuitive, ***and natural to the flow of the game. ***

People group because they have a tough time finding easy groups (sadly, City of Heroes, fairly solo-friendly, got this almost perfect, so people grouped easily even though they didn't "need to". RIP

MMOs are terrible single-player games.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning
55. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 13:56 Ceribaen

To be fair, Eder may actually currently be a super tank for you as a result of another bug

That said, I'm still having fun with it... probably going to reroll whenever some of these major items are worked out as I actually missed Eder early on somehow.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 21:05:
The double click bug is serious, the rest of the bugs seem to be on the level of typos and minor UI issues for the most part. I am curious as to what exactly is wrong with the Ranger pets? I've been using the NPC ranger on and off with no issues aside from the Fox being pretty weak early on.

Arguably even if you get that Double Click bug, you could still finish the game, masochistically of course. Just ranged combat everybody into oblivion with ease, Arbalests and Arquebuses to the rescue!

Level 8-9 currently with my ranged Rogue and mostly caster party, with Eder as a super tank, decimating pretty much the whole game at this point. I'm into Defiance Bay finally... probably should have come here much earlier. These enemies can't survive a Sneak Attack Arbalest bolt to the back. I'm down to level 9 in the Endless Dungeon too; excellent design, and it has made me want to replay with a Lore/Perception/Int based Cipher or Wizard next, just to try to pass some of the dialogue checks with the semi-hostiles down there.

Great game, don't let the bugs get you down!

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
4. Re: Ship Ahoy - Crusader Kings II: Way of Life Dec 16, 2014, 21:07 Ceribaen

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:24:
harlock wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:22:
Desalus wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:06:
More paid content...just what this game needs. I believe this is the 9th expansion, along with the 36+ minor DLC!

yeh i havent played this in years, mainly because they keep releasing significant additions all the time

probly gonna wait for a few more years and then buy the "super ultimate mega bundle" that has everything included... shit will probably be 100GB by then too

The thing is, this isn't just new maps or unit packs like most strategy games get. Paradox adds big new mechanics with each expansion. I think they have a fanbase who are happy to pay essentially a subscription to keep development going, and see how good a game they can squeeze out of this engine. Their subreddit has people with hundreds or thousands of hours played. $100 is a pretty good deal for that amount of playtime. I have a lot more sympathy for DLC-driven development when its handled this way.

My only problem is, once you fall out of the loop on it - it's nearly impossible to catch back up. Too big of a cost to get caught up on the DLC. Plus the re-learning curve is almost as high as the initial learning curve.

Plus I think I never quite figured out the politics of it, always tried to play to create a unified Iceland and see if I could just carve out a few more islands within my domain - but always ended up heavily reliant on mercenaries who never replenished and eventually one of the big dogs would come my way and stomp me down. And none of my alliances through marriage were strong enough to come support me.

News Comments > WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release
10. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 13:09 Ceribaen

SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 11:21:
garrywong wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 10:57:
Hm, a WH40K game that might hopefully not suck, but priced at $40 with no demo.
Unfortunately, that means I will not be buying this, even though I would love to.

*twitch*

WARMACHINE is NOT Warhammer 40K. Completely different universe. Both are awesome, but different.

That being said, I've not heard good things about this from other fans of the table top. It amazes me that when these games get made they just don't copy the core rules and mechanics of the table top.

Blood Bowl was the only decent table top game implementation I've ever seen from the Warhammer Universe. Relic did an awesome job with all the Dawn of Wars of course, but they weren't trying to mimic the table top. Just use the Universe.

In this case, WH:T was intentionally not to be a table top replacement because Privateer Press doesn't want that. This is supposed to be like Dawn of War where it's in the universe and stands on its own.

I've been interested in it off and on, the original concept I think was supposed to have been more of a first person style control with the warcaster with tactical combat - I haven't looked at it lately though, seemed like they went more the standard 'xcom' style cover tactical game.

News Comments > Goat Simulator Free MMO Expansion Thursday
27. Re: Goat Simulator Free MMO Expansion Thursday Nov 17, 2014, 19:48 Ceribaen

Endo wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 18:55:
harlock wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 11:51:
Endo wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 11:00:
Looks cool, but I don't see anything in the video that remotely resembles an MMO.

congratulations, you're blind

So go ahead, tell us what you thought you saw that resembled an MMO, and I'll tell you why you were wrong.

I think you're assuming that this is a {Goat Simulator} MMO... but they very clearly identify it as a {Goat MMO} Simulator...

And from an offline perspective, they did very much make it look like classic niche MMOs. Including the empty servers!

208 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo