Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ceribaen

Real Name Ceribaen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ceribaen
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 15, 2012, 15:34
Total Comments 190 (Novice)
User ID 57420

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release
10. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 13:09 Ceribaen

SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 11:21:
garrywong wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 10:57:
Hm, a WH40K game that might hopefully not suck, but priced at $40 with no demo.
Unfortunately, that means I will not be buying this, even though I would love to.

*twitch*

WARMACHINE is NOT Warhammer 40K. Completely different universe. Both are awesome, but different.

That being said, I've not heard good things about this from other fans of the table top. It amazes me that when these games get made they just don't copy the core rules and mechanics of the table top.

Blood Bowl was the only decent table top game implementation I've ever seen from the Warhammer Universe. Relic did an awesome job with all the Dawn of Wars of course, but they weren't trying to mimic the table top. Just use the Universe.

In this case, WH:T was intentionally not to be a table top replacement because Privateer Press doesn't want that. This is supposed to be like Dawn of War where it's in the universe and stands on its own.

I've been interested in it off and on, the original concept I think was supposed to have been more of a first person style control with the warcaster with tactical combat - I haven't looked at it lately though, seemed like they went more the standard 'xcom' style cover tactical game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Goat Simulator Free MMO Expansion Thursday
27. Re: Goat Simulator Free MMO Expansion Thursday Nov 17, 2014, 19:48 Ceribaen

Endo wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 18:55:
harlock wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 11:51:
Endo wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 11:00:
Looks cool, but I don't see anything in the video that remotely resembles an MMO.

congratulations, you're blind

So go ahead, tell us what you thought you saw that resembled an MMO, and I'll tell you why you were wrong.

I think you're assuming that this is a {Goat Simulator} MMO... but they very clearly identify it as a {Goat MMO} Simulator...

And from an offline perspective, they did very much make it look like classic niche MMOs. Including the empty servers!

News Comments > Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders
5. Re: Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders Oct 31, 2014, 11:06 Ceribaen

Blackhawk wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 10:17:
Wait, they perma-banned them, and limited what kinds of events they can participate in?

I think the DQ is to remove them from the standings for ladder ranking?
Just a way for them to easily clean up that list? Perhaps a closed account doesn't automatically get removed from the standings.

News Comments > Free & Paid Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC
12. Re: Free & Paid Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Oct 22, 2014, 18:45 Ceribaen

Flatline wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 11:54:
InBlack wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 02:18:
The game has grown on me the more Ive played it. I might even finish it now heh. I like that you can specialize. The Nemesis system is fairly gimmicky, Im thinking there is something missing there but its fun to just run around slaughtering Orcs in their hundreds.

The Nemesis system feels gimmicky I think because of the random buffs that get assigned to the Uruks. If I had died more I would have seen it more, but after the first third of the game I almost never died, so my "nemesis" at the end was some random dude I think I died once to but never got around to actually killing because the story didn't require it. I one-shotted him at that point and that was the end of my nemesis. By the time I took on the war chiefs in the 2nd area the entire Uruk chief system was branded and under my control. Made the warchiefs way too easy. In the end I had all of them branded too.

What killed it for me (besides shitty controls on the PC that I had to remap to not hurt my hands) was the second area uruks that had stealth invulnerability, ranged invulnerability, and then immune to either combat finishers or normal attacks. I fought like six of those Uruks and they were so fucking boring. Attack the crowd of mooks until I got a finisher. Finisher on chief. Repeat 4 times until you can kill the chief.

Once I got the ability to brand the uruks were bullshit. Immune to range, stealth, normal combat, you can't flip over them, combat finishers don't work, etc etc... I guess I was supposed to lure them into a trap with their fears to overcome it. But instead I just would attack until I could combat brand, then control one or two uruks every 5 blows. After about 3 minutes there's like 12 mind controlled mooks circling the chief, and half of them are backstabbing.

Oh and the ending/boss fight was fucking atrocious.

Meh. I'd give it a 6.5 overall, maybe an optimistic 7.

But at least you could remap the PC controls. I agree the default setup is painful, especially since really they should have just made stealth a toggle with how often you need to hold it down - that'd probably have solved most of the problems. Toggle stealth, toggle run and I no longer have to hold down two keys while trying to use wasd (which also took a brief period to get used to how they implemented it)

After that, I'd say it was actually a well done PC game. Can't imagine having to do all the bow stuff on a console though - I liked being able to quickly snipe orcs.

Nemesis I agree is a bit gimmicky because of how often it occurs, I actually end up forgetting/losing track of who the new orcs and who the returned ones are. Maybe if it worked into the story a little more, or made a bit more difference.

The immunities are annoying but I like it because it mixes up combat a bit better. Way too easy to just shadow strike in, or stealth brand/attack from above, or head shot from a distance otherwise.

The branding mechanic does turn the game into easy mode though. Especially when you can brand captains, make them bodyguards and have them betray the warchiefs and avoid the entire warchief scenario to put someone in place.

News Comments > Layoffs at Turbine
5. Re: Layoffs at Turbine Oct 17, 2014, 00:26 Ceribaen

Do any of the original AC staff still work there?

The names I know, seem to have mostly moved on to little mobile dev studios and such.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs
11. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs Oct 10, 2014, 17:24 Ceribaen

Dragon Age:Origins was the game that got me first on Steam...

Is Dragon Age:Inquisition the game to finally get me to use Origin?

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
3. Re: On Sale Oct 6, 2014, 12:45 Ceribaen

Who actually buys PC games in store now though?

3% I can see with brick and mortars since there's maybe one shelf compared to the multiple racks consoles get.

I think it'd look a lot more reasonable if there was a way to include all digital PC sales.

News Comments > Ryzom Forge Announced
2. Re: Ryzom Forge Announced Oct 1, 2014, 13:26 Ceribaen

garrywong wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 10:25:
Hm, I used to love playing this. It has the best gathering and crafting system of any game I have ever played. Unfortunately the rest is all a big "meh" and even the gathering and crafting becomes very grindy at some point.

Their list of improvements doesn't look too great to me, though I guess it's tailored to the currently playing people, and not folks like me that would love to play again if there were other changes made.

I remember trying it for a month or so way back when... didn't realize that they actually still had servers running.
Now makes me curious to see whether Horizons is still running in some fashion too.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer
6. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer Sep 29, 2014, 22:58 Ceribaen

Task wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 22:37:
I haven't been following this game much. Who in the heck is the main character guy? A Dúnedain like Aragorn? And when does this even take place?

Honestly... from anything I've looked at about it... I'm just taking the story as generic fantasy as opposed to being set in Middle-Earth.

Lore-wise I think it'll make your blood boil if you think too much about it.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer
1. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer Sep 29, 2014, 21:34 Ceribaen

I'm a sucker.
Bought in for PC on pre-order with season pass /happy birthday to me

Was hoping for a midnight release on Steam but looks like it's not until noon... so won't get a chance to play until late Wednesday night.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
10. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 10:46 Ceribaen

So far from what I can figure out...

It's the next iteration of the Batman series from WB... this time with a Middle Earth flair (though the story does not fit Tolkien lore imo at all - more generic fantasy) and some Assassin's Creed-like movement.

I'm still looking for some solid PC reviews just to see how the UI handles though, but I'll probably risk it as my once a year buy something at release (aka happy birthday to me)

The Destructoid review kinda pans it, but overall the reviewer sounds like a grumpy-pants... but don't normally read a lot of reviews so can't tell for sure.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
18. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Sep 25, 2014, 20:28 Ceribaen

nin wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 11:07:
Alamar wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 10:58:
That's a great vid... Lots of information. And shows that the Nemesis system portion is not the entire game heh... That was what had sold me last week (or two), but I'm happy to see the stuff mentioned now.

Sadly, now I'm really looking forward to it, and it'll be a long ~week.

I had zero interest up until a few weeks ago, but I admit I'm pretty much sold now. As long as reviews are solid tomorrow (and the fact that the embargo is 4 days before it goes on sale is a good sign), I'm in...

Same boat as you... though I have noticed that to me it feels like all their trailers are re-using images from the same runthrough...

Might have to try watching that Twitch stream, because I'm starting to wonder how varied the game ends up being.

Also - any idea how kb/m friendly this'll be? Menus seem very gamepad oriented.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Free Weekend
4. Re: Total War: ROME II Free Weekend Sep 25, 2014, 19:53 Ceribaen

Funniest thing is that the bundle that includes Rome 2 is the same price as the regular game.

$20 worth of DLC even after 75% off still too... how much of that is worth it/required?

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced
12. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced Sep 18, 2014, 21:17 Ceribaen

noman wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 21:03:
Ceribaen wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 20:29:
What's difference between Xinput and DirectInput? One of these days I need to get a gamepad for my PC (I've tried using my PS3 controller, but it's been wonky in a few games, so went back to kb/m).

Nearly all PC controllers coming out now support XInput, which is what the games use as well. These include Logitech F310, F710, XBox 360 controller etc. DirectInput is the older API (part of DirectX in the early days). Logitech F310 and F710 support DirectInput as well. Consider these two APIs as two different ways to do the same things (Direct3D and OpenGl, for instance)

If you do have a PS3 controller, I'd recommend using it with the SCPDriver. It's an XInput wrapper, that basically presents DualShock3 controller as an XInput controller to Windows. Installation can't be more straightforward.

1) Attach your PS3 controller to PC, and see that it shows up under "Devices and Printers" in control-panel
2) Download and install, XBox360 software from Microsoft website (use the Windows 7 version, whether you are on Win7 or Win8 or Vista)
3) Download and unzip latest version of SCPDriver.
4) In the unzipped folder, run "SCPDriver" executable. Uncheck "Force Install". If you have a bluetooth dongle, you can enable bluetooth option as well. Press the install button.
5) If all goes well, you'll see XBox 360 controller icon appear in "Devices and Printers" under control-panel, alongside the earlier DualShock3 icon.

That's it. From now on, you just need to connect the controller and it will work in any PC game, with proper rumble effects too.

You can even use it over bluetooth, if you have a BT dongle. The controller will sync automatically to PC every time USB cable is attached. From then on, just the PS button will sync it to the PC, until you connect it back to PS3.

Thanks, going to give that a try!
Had previously used MotionInJoy which I got going - but always seemed to feel a bit dodgy at times. And I remember it feeling like a big hassle to get going.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced
8. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced Sep 18, 2014, 20:29 Ceribaen

Orogogus wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 20:13:
Sempai wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 19:23:
And no proper controller support? I hope the lack of a description is an oversite. But knowing Squeenix, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Did Blue edit it? It's right at the bottom:

> A game controller using Xinput is reccomended for this game. (If using a DirectInput based controller, please use the driver side key configuration to adjust settings as required )

What's difference between Xinput and DirectInput? One of these days I need to get a gamepad for my PC (I've tried using my PS3 controller, but it's been wonky in a few games, so went back to kb/m).

News Comments > Transverse Announced
14. Re: Transverse Announced Sep 9, 2014, 22:52 Ceribaen

So far they've managed 27 suckers at an average of 110 per backer...  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 9, 2014, 22:07 Ceribaen

Even if you consider it a sport...
It's nowhere near hockey even (and calling hockey a second tier for popularity is a bit divisive - if you include field hockey, it's definitely a top 5 sport worldwide, I'd put soccer, cricket and basketball ahead)...

Ice Hockey is an anchor sport for the Olympic Games, drew 50M viewers in NA alone for the final.

I also like how the article compares PEAK viewership for this event to average viewership for the SCF.

News Comments > Next Total War Reveal This Month
5. Re: Next Total War Reveal This Month Sep 9, 2014, 20:16 Ceribaen

So through various Steam sales I think I own all the TW games but the latest one (is it worth buying yet?)...

I feel like it's a game I should fully enjoy, yet for some reason I can barely get into them before losing interest.

Any tips? (ie find a night where you have a good 5 hours to put into it because learning curve, or don't think of it as an RTS or whatever but rather focus on this when starting, or start with this game in the franchise not Shogun 2, etc etc)

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 11:03 Ceribaen

I tried Destiny on PS3 during one of the beta weekends, but honestly can't see what all the hype is about.
Doesn't seem like there's anything new or innovative in it, the story seemed alright but not super immersive either.

So what's the draw?

News Comments > SSI-Inspired Seven Dragon Saga Announced
5. Re: SSI-Inspired Seven Dragon Saga Announced Sep 2, 2014, 21:44 Ceribaen

Julio wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 18:08:
Turn based combat (check)
SSI (check)

Ok - I'm in.

Unity engine... cautiously optimistic.
SR:R and WL2 both have some issues in the engine, especially when you compare them against what Larian has managed to pull off with D:OS.

190 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo