Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sgtrock

Real Name sgtrock   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 25, 2012, 21:15
Total Comments 2 (Suspect)
User ID 57400

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client
16. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 7, 2012, 00:04 sgtrock

Axis wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 19:44:
bhcompy wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 19:37:
Unfortunately Ubuntu has been going downhill, but I guess it's a start

Ubuntu hasn't been going downhill, it's just established. Nothing is as exciting compared to fresh new distros lighting a spark of enthusiasm -- and Ubuntu has already been there.

I think it's safe to say that Ubuntu has been going in the wrong direction for quite a while. I gave up on it when it was announced that Unity was becoming the default UI. That was about the same time that Kubuntu and other variants were essentially deprecated as well. Between the two moves, I figured I was better off looking somewhere else.

I looked around for a bit and decided that I might as well move upstream to Debian. I've been happily running Debian stable with a few backported apps for nearly two years.

My name is also in the pot for the beta. Since I'm not running Ubuntu, though, I'm assuming that I won't see an invitation to an expanded beta for quite a while. If ever. That's fine, I'm reasonably patient. I fully expect to be playing around with Steam on Linux some time next year.

As to the comments about the slim game selection? Give it time, fellas. It'll take a while for a catalog to get built up. BTW, the list is already up to 50 games, not just 24. That list is growing at a respectable clip, too. It was at 36 games when I last checked it a couple of weeks ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Linux Steam Plans Confirmed
28. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 25, 2012, 17:36 sgtrock

TheEmissary wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 16:50:
I never said they weren't experimenting with linux, in fact I believe they probably are. Reading in to things like where a person's desk may or may not be or an odd discussion here or there doesn't make for air tight evidence. The fact that Phoronix released claims like this before only have it shot down by Valve themselves later leaves lot of doubts in my mind.

If Gabe Newell can be directly quoted as saying something about the linux client then I'll likely believe it. At the moment it is all heresay. I am sure Valve like said before is hiring or talking to Linux experts about how to proceed. That is big difference from proclaiming a linux client is eminent.

Geez, did you even bother to read the article? This announcement goes WAY beyond what Phoronix has published in the past. Random quotes that illustrate my point:

As I have been sharing for a few weeks, Valve invited me out to their Bellevue, Washington offices after Gabe Newell asked me last month for some referrals of developers with Linux OpenGL experience.

This isn't Phoronix speculating based on an accidental code release this time. This article is based on a visit to Valve HQ.

Simply being able to execute a Source Engine game myself on an Ubuntu Linux installation and not seeing it pass through Wine or anything else was almost worth the time and expense.

Right now the game they have been working on the most for their Linux client is Left 4 Dead 2. Why L4D2? Basically because it is a stable code-base to do for their initial porting. They have plans to bring their other titles to Linux as well as lobby other game developers using Steam and the Source Engine to bring their games to Linux -- natively. They are not using the Wine library or anything in terms of their native Linux Steam/Source engine work.

Read that again. This is NOT just Steam itself, this is work to get the Source engine games working on Linux.

Valve and Gabe Newell's interest in Linux goes beyond what would be expected of any normal game company, but Valve is certainly a unique beast. Listening to Gabe Newell talk about Linux for hours made me wonder whether he was a former ex-Microsoft employee (where he actually did work in his pre-Valve days in the 90's) or the director of the Linux Foundation.

Short of a video interview of Gabe, I don't think you're going to ever get a stronger endorsement of a company's strategic initiative by its CEO.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo