Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 249 (Novice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
23. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 11:27 Eirikrautha

Verno wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 10:18:
I feel like the guy from Memento in these Star Citizen threads.

I feel like Mugatu from Zoolander: "They have no game yet! None! Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! I invented the piano key necktie! Invented it! What have you done on this game so far, Chris Roberts? You've done nothing! NOTHIIIING! And I will be a monkey's uncle if I let you ruin this for me, because if you can't get the job done..."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
43. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 11, 2014, 06:06 Eirikrautha

Jerykk wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 04:55:
harlock wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 01:53:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 22:32:
Lol Star Citizen twitch - Christ Roberts is a total clown - power pointed the crowd to death.

hah did you watch the pax reveal.. he sits down to show it off and plays for a few minutes, then the fucker crashes hard and locks up, hes sitting there banging on the keyboard while dramatic orchestral music plays through the PA.. then just sits back and chills out while they try to tech support it for like 10 min

fucking classic man, pure comedy

it looked pretty cool when it was working, but damn.. good luck with this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg7FeQ-Hflg

Ouch. Just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong. That said, the game is still a long ways off and I'm pretty sure they'll fix most of the bugs.

This was on my "watch" list until I watched that live stream. 30 minutes late starting, no ability to skip the cutscene at the beginning (when he crashed the ship and had to restart) which wasted time showing something we'd just seen again, hard-locks, windows popping up...

At this point, CR just looks inept. You always bring your most stable build, even if it doesn't have the latest bells-and-whistles, when you go to show your software off. Which means this IS their most stable build (or all they have). Not encouraging at all...

News Comments > Space Noir Trailer
2. Re: Space Noir Trailer Apr 7, 2014, 21:08 Eirikrautha

Oh. My. God.

Look at how slow the "space ship" moves. Look at how limited the consolitus-based movement is. Look at the obvious easy-mode enemies (who should smoke a nearly static "space ship" very quickly, but instead fly in circles and occasionally shoot a single shot at it). I what universe is this considered a good game?

DO NOT WANT!

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access
2. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 15:49 Eirikrautha

Early access is going to be the death of this industry. It's giving up a feast tomorrow for a sandwich today...  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Teen to government... Mar 30, 2014, 15:33 Eirikrautha

Kudos to the kid for thinking logically. Unfortunately, his isn't the first study on typefaces. This is a good lesson for him on unintended consequences, though. The other studies have shown that fonts like Times New Roman are also more readable at a given point size (the reason Garamond saves ink is because of the thinner ascenders and descenders). Which means that people have a tendency to increase the point size of the Garamond, using more ink than TNR at 11 or 12 point...

Still, good on the kid for trying to work it all out. He'll do well, based on his focus...

News Comments > Women In Video Games Initiative
42. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 30, 2014, 13:30 Eirikrautha

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 01:14:
Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 20:07:
Your argument is that if the numbers aren't exactly equal... then racism (or sexism, or insert-ism-here). That's the least intellectual argument in the history of arguments.

Not equal, proportional.

Do you agree that talent in computing is independent of gender and race? Yes or no? If yes, why wouldn't we want to ensure roughly proportional representation in the field, since non-proportionate representation would imply that some talent is going to waste? If no, if talent is dependent on gender and race, how is that not sexist and racist?

And remember: I already acknowledged that it COULD be true that white and Asian men are just naturally and innately more talented at computer science and programming -- I don't believe that, but it is possible. But if that is the case, if the reason computing is mad up mostly of white and Asian men is that those groups are just better at it than other groups, then those that believe that need to be honest and argue that racism and sexism shouldn't be demonized because some races are just better than others at certain things, and that we shouldn't try to get proportional representation in all fields.

Look, hard as this may be for you to believe, I'm not trying to demonize you; I'm trying to get you to be honest and say what you actually mean. You're adamantly against trying to achieve proportional representation, and your stated reason is that it lowers standards. But the only way I can see it lowering standards -- and you haven't offered an alternative here -- is if the underrepresented groups, i.e. women, blacks, and Hispanics, are innately less talented. The implied premise of your argument then is inherently racist and sexist, but when presented with that, rather than offering an alternative premise for the conclusion that proportional representation will lower standards, you whine about being demonized as sexist or racist. If it's that upsetting to you, then don't make implicitly racist and sexist arguments, and instead present your actual premises, which you claim to be unblemished by prejudicial thinking.

edit: As an aside, I do think it is possible to argue that, in some areas, talent is dependent, to an extent, on gender, and possibly race as well. For example, there is a reason we don't see women players in the NFL: the female body, even an outlier female body, simply isn't going to be competitive in that level of play of that sport. Likewise, you don't see many Asian men in the NFL, probably for a variety of reasons, but partly because it's pretty rare that men of Asian descent are built like, well, NFL players. So athletics is an area where I believe it is legitimate to make the argument that talent is dependent, to a certain extent, on race and gender, and thus proportional racial and gender representation would imply a lowering of standards. Are you willing to make that same argument with regard to computing? Or are you going to continue to state the same conclusion, while keeping your premises hidden?

First:

"Do you agree that talent in computing is independent of gender and race? Yes or no? If yes, why wouldn't we want to ensure roughly proportional representation in the field, since non-proportionate representation would imply that some talent is going to waste?"

I agree that talent in computing is independent of gender or race. Period. The rest of this quote then shows where you are mistaken. Who is the "we in the "we want to ensure..."? If the "we" is the women, minorities, space aliens, or whomever's numbers don't "add up," then I've got no problem with it. If the "we" is you, the government, so called "public interest" groups, etc., then I have a BIG problem with it. Were the contest in the OP directed towards finding the best new game designers, with a caveat that encouraged women to apply ("we'd really like to help more women navigate the field, but you've got to be good!"), I probably wouldn't have even posted. But it is exclusive to women, and I find that as abhorrent as a design competition exclusive to men, or whites, or anything. Unless you are looking for the "best," you are a racist, sexist, or whatever name people want to throw around. But it seems that racism and sexism are ok, so long at is directed at the people "you" (whoever the "you" might be, not directed at you personally) don't like. I find it highly amusing that there are a number of anti-discrimination organizations in western Europe that are dedicated to defeating stereotypes of Muslims... that then go on and say the most anti-Semitic things possible. This is what Balkanization normalizes...

Also, someone deciding that they won't go into game design (even though they are talented) only implies that "talent is going to waste" if you believe that people are one-dimensional. It may be that they choose to do something they are even more talented in. Or they may choose to do something that they are LESS talented in, but that they love more. I don't see a problem with either.

I'll not respond to the second paragraph, as it doesn't apply to me or my argument. As for "lowering standards," that is a product of narrowing fields. If you are looking for the best; you will often get the best (not always, but that is life). If you are looking for the best women; you may get the best women at than time, place, circumstance, etc., but that will not necessarily be the best overall. A lot of it has to do with circumstance.

Show me that the numbers of women in gaming is directly related to systematic selection against them and I might be sympathetic (though my remedy may still not be what you want). But simply noticing a number difference is NOT a priori evidence that such a system exists. Human choice and variability account for the vast majority of said differences. When video games were in their infancy, they may not have appealed to women as much as they do now (based on various cultural or personal decisions WOMEN made... not you or me or the man). We've seen a growth in women in gaming. It would stand to reason that the numbers of women who want to make games would rise (and it has). I don't see this as a justification for sexism on the part of the OP or other entities, then...

News Comments > New DayZ Studio; Future Plans Detailed
10. Re: New DayZ Studio; Future Plans Detailed Mar 30, 2014, 09:47 Eirikrautha

Rossafur wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 01:00:
Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 21:32:
This game has outlived its time. If it had come out a year ago, it could have been highly successful. But at this point, the development-hell has created a situation that will render it irrelevant by the time it finally comes out...

Guess they'll be laughing all the way to the bank about how they managed to make a fortune before releasing an irrelevant game in its finished form. Success is measured in dollars and cents.

Yeah, but you can only fleece your customers once... Here's hoping they made enough to retire off of...

News Comments > New DayZ Studio; Future Plans Detailed
5. Re: New DayZ Studio; Future Plans Detailed Mar 29, 2014, 21:32 Eirikrautha

This game has outlived its time. If it had come out a year ago, it could have been highly successful. But at this point, the development-hell has created a situation that will render it irrelevant by the time it finally comes out...  

39. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 29, 2014, 21:21 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 20:19:
Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 20:07:
If only the world were so simple! That's why your argument is destined for the dust bin of history. Because life is way more complex than your social policy via greeting card. There are many reasons that certain groups may not be represented at the same rates in certain categories (not the least of which is the actual categories themselves... many problems exist only when the categories are finagled just right). Your argument is that if the numbers aren't exactly equal... then racism (or sexism, or insert-ism-here). That's the least intellectual argument in the history of arguments. So just because you can't fathom a set of conditions where it could happen, it's impossible?

There are many factors that help determine what a person chooses to do with his or her life. Culture is a big one... but not in the way you think. You guys can call me anything you like, because at the end of the day, we both know that all of the screams of -isms are a tactic designed to stifle debate. If your argument held water, you wouldn't need to try and shame people with cries of sexism... you'd be able to objectively prove your point. So caterwaul away... it only makes the obvious more so...

Again, you're a terrible human being unable to see through any eyes other than your own.

I'll again point out that women score better in math and science. And are routinely pushed away from any kind of computer-related job because most men that end up there are extremely aggro against women and push them right out.

It's so odd that you think that "you need to prove your point" is your retort, when there's really an infinite amount of incidents out there where a woman was pushed out of a coding job because the men around her were so damn creepy.

Video games, both as a hobby and as a career, are about 90% men. This, to you, is a sign that women inherently don't like video games and nothing else.
This is why you're a terrible human being. You're so afraid that, somehow, this would take away from whatever pitiful achievements you've had in your pitiful life.

Well, your ad hominems will certainly prove your point. Or not.

By the way, for such a superior person, you are a lousy reader. I said there might be many reasons why women aren't at equal numbers in any particular occupation, yet you say "This, to you, is a sign that women inherently don't like video games and nothing else." Either you can't read (or didn't bother to). This is a straw man argument as well. I want evidence that your claim (that women are "underrepresented" in game design because they are prevented from doing so) is correct. Asserting that women aren't in video game design because they are driven out, with your supporting evidence being that women aren't in game design is begging the question.

Heck, there's a tremendous market for you to exploit. Form a company with all the incredibly talented women who are desperate to be game designers, but can't get a job elsewhere. You'll smoke EA and Activision in no time. Heck, why hasn't anyone else thought of it? Oh, wait...

So, we have two logical fallacies and a total lack of reading comprehension. And you think I'm a terrible human being? Physician, heal thyself (and develop an actual argument for a change).

But, actually, with nothing left but name-calling in your bag, I'm sure this is the point where you'll smugly disengage (maybe even with another logical fallacy. Try to be original, though... the normal few are getting boring).

37. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 29, 2014, 20:07 Eirikrautha

If only the world were so simple! That's why your argument is destined for the dust bin of history. Because life is way more complex than your social policy via greeting card. There are many reasons that certain groups may not be represented at the same rates in certain categories (not the least of which is the actual categories themselves... many problems exist only when the categories are finagled just right). Your argument is that if the numbers aren't exactly equal... then racism (or sexism, or insert-ism-here). That's the least intellectual argument in the history of arguments. So just because you can't fathom a set of conditions where it could happen, it's impossible?

There are many factors that help determine what a person chooses to do with his or her life. Culture is a big one... but not in the way you think. You guys can call me anything you like, because at the end of the day, we both know that all of the screams of -isms are a tactic designed to stifle debate. If your argument held water, you wouldn't need to try and shame people with cries of sexism... you'd be able to objectively prove your point. So caterwaul away... it only makes the obvious more so...

32. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 29, 2014, 11:34 Eirikrautha

Hahaha! I work in a female-dominated industry, and we get along just fine. Probably because they are very good at what they do, and I am good at my job. Our mutual respect is genuine, based on ability, and not preferential hiring. Try it sometime...  

31. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 29, 2014, 11:32 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 23:24:
What an awful human being.
Agreed. To cripple people under the guise of compassion, then pat yourself on the back for being so "enlightened." It really does make you a pretty disgusting person...

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
72. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 29, 2014, 11:15 Eirikrautha

No, the "sin" (according to the anti-trust findings) was that their browser was not an "option". IE was coded into the OS. It made privileged calls to the kernel that other browsers could not. Also, because of its integration into the kernel, you could not uninstall IE... ever.

I don't care if you bundle your browser in with your OS. But when you intertwine it in such a way that you make it impossible for me to remove (while hoping that the low-level access your browser has will gimp every other competing browser), then you might have crossed the line...

27. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 28, 2014, 23:15 Eirikrautha

Your rationale is just as "mythical" as you accuse meritocracy of being. When the New York Times had to explain to its readers why they had young reporters completely fabricating articles, part of the reason given by the NYT itself was that the program they created to encourage diversity in their reporters actually inhibited their ability to judge the merits of those reporters' work. The folks in charge were unwilling to hold those reporters to the same standards, lest they be accused of racism themselves.

The fact is that various subgroups of human beings are NOT equally represented in all endeavors. Culture, sex, and individual traits and desires all affect the number of people who seek different careers. It's actually both delusional and stupid to think that there should be equal numbers of certain subgroups in every profession.

So your argument that all of these incredibly talented folks are being prevented from succeeding by stereotypes is nonsense. It is a circular argument, based on what you wish were true. While some individual cases certainly do happen, there is not some massive pool of female programming talent that would be revolutionizing the industry if only the white males would let them. Increased numbers of female programmers will occur organically when programming becomes more involved in those things that interest women. Or it won't. But no secret cabal of men can or could change either outcome.

The real problem is the crutch that all this conspiratorial whining creates. Maybe you didn't get hired because you're a mediocre programmer, and not because you're a woman? A man would have to face his shortcomings and improve himself. A woman (or any other group that plays the "victim card", including some men), has an excuse not to. It hurts them more than it helps...

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark
7. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark Mar 28, 2014, 21:11 Eirikrautha

Based on the progression of this series so far, this game will be a template for an Etch-A-Sketch....  

20. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 28, 2014, 20:33 Eirikrautha

For most of human history, people judged and segregated others based on their "tribe" (usually based on familial relationships or political alliances). This became so prominent that in many parts of the world, including the West, a person's tribe or status determined their lot in life.

Then, growing out of Europe and expanding both West and East, the novel idea arose that "tribe" should not determine status, privilege or place in society. That a "natural" aristocracy, based on talent, initiative, and drive, should be valued more than the hereditary aristocracy.

So now, having benefited front centuries of progress because of this idea, the very societies that grew because of the value placed on individual excellence have worked their hardest to once again separate people into various competing "tribes"...

Can we find the most talented young developers to support? Does it have to be the (insert flavor of the month) -hyphen- developer? Why isn't excellence enough?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Microsoft unveils new Kinect for Windows Mar 28, 2014, 10:20 Eirikrautha

Wow. Can't wait for the first hacks aimed at this thing. Talk about a revolution in amateur porn...  

News Comments > etc., etc.
21. Re: etc., etc. Mar 22, 2014, 18:47 Eirikrautha

Do you think Mozart and Beethoven never listened to feedback?

Pretty sure Beethoven didn't listen to any feedback... since he was deaf...

Seriously, though, you are absolutely right. The number one danger in business is to lose sight of what the customers are paying you for. And the only way to know what they are paying you for is to ask them (frequently)...

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2014, 21:38.

News Comments > SimCity Patch Adds Offline Play
14. Re: SimCity Patch Adds Offline Play Mar 18, 2014, 16:57 Eirikrautha

Blue is so right about this backtrack. This is the kind of thing that infuriates me about modern game companies. An encephalitic yak could have told Blizzard or EA that D3's auction house or SimCity's always online were crippling design choices. But the arrogance shown by the developers, as if somehow they could convince players that design decisions that hurt gameplay but generated money were totally in the players' best interests, has been absolutely staggering. They assumed that brand name alone would be enough to sell copies. Well, that might work once.

It's like the American car companies in the 70's and 80's. Ford assumed that people would buy a Ford simply because it was a Ford. And they might, at least until the engine of their new Escort caught fire with them in the car (true story). After that, all of the trust is gone... and you are worse off than if you had foregone the extra money and just lived up to your branding.

But hey, maybe this is a wake-up call. If Jay Wilson remains unemployed, then game developers might prove to be more intelligent that a glass of warm grape juice...

News Comments > Gauntlet Remake This Summer
34. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 16:59 Eirikrautha

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 13:52:
nin wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 09:57:
Hmmm...something seems off? Is it the camera?

View is too far away and areas are too big.

Agree. Also the characters are realistically proportioned. Gauntlet needs a more dramatic, exaggerated look, I think...

249 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo