Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 296 (Amateur)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 31, 2014, 15:59 Eirikrautha

I'll just post this right here and run...

Dave Chappelle (NSFW)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 13:17 Eirikrautha

NKD wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 12:49:
I wasn't aware that a 17 year old wearing a skimpy cosplay outfit to a major con was bad judgement.

Well, then, we both learned something today!

Unfortunately, how you dress does affect the way people treat you, especially if you are young, alone, and vulnerable. I don't expect most kids to think about these things. But it's a lot easier to learn that from the adults around you than it is from a hospital stay. But hey, what's the worst that could happen?

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
15. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 30, 2014, 12:23 Eirikrautha

NetHead wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 20:41:
I think they need to throw in some more epic wank words and phrases because I managed to hold back the vomit until closing flash player. It's better to watch that on mute.

As for the game, I'll be waiting for first hand experience. I don't expect it to be as good as Dragon Age, especially not after that sequel, though it may still end up good.

LOL!!!

Yeah, you'd think that someone cut up every AAA PR promo video script, put the pieces in a hat, and drew out the phrases at random while voicing this clip.

Can I have more "pulse-pounding" action, please, Mr. Dragon Age? Rolleyes

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 11:50 Eirikrautha

So I let my minor daughter dress up as a "rabbit" (check out the outfits on the Facebook page linked in the article... with the url "lustfulcreation" no less), travel to a convention with just her friends, and am surprised when something bad happens.

And before anyone whines about "blaming the victim," I don't expect children to understand when they are doing stupid stuff. But I do expect their parents (and the other adults in their lives) to understand when they are doing stupid stuff and stop them. And just because you have the "right" to do something doesn't make it less stupid to do.

So I'm really sorry this kid got hurt, and hopefully they'll put away the creep that did this for a long time. I'm also sorry the people around her weren't man/woman enough to pull her aside and say, "This isn't the best idea..." Your job is to be a parent, not a friend...

Edit: Ehh, that's probably too harsh (not knowing all of the particulars). Still, someone exhibited bad judgement here, and I have a hard time blaming a kid for it (because that's the definition of kid). Too bad other folks weren't looking out for her, too.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2014, 12:15.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2014, 23:15 Eirikrautha

Will someone please remind me next time to not click on any link taking me to Polygon? I keep clicking, based on a foolish optimism that what I read won't be shallow click-bait, designed to service the needs of their corporate masters... and I'm disappointed every single time. So, please, stop me before I click again...  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
12. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 15:36 Eirikrautha

El Pit wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:04:
GaymerX? Really? Is there any sexual/racial problem in gaming that needs to be addressed? Where is HeteRox, the political lobby group about hetero rock musicians, or AfriGame about African American gamers or... *sighs* Really, guys, there are more important groups that need every single buck to fight starvation, diseases, and the Starbuckisation of once great coffee. Well, alright, maybe the last one does not need the money.

Actually, you're missing the point. The point is that, had this been a "singles con" or somesuch, when a backer reneged on their donation, you'd have to suck up the loss and soldier on. In this case, you can call up a friend who works for a gaming magazine and accuse the company of being anti-gay (based on nothing but your anger), which means that everyone will then fall all over each other in a desperate attempt to see who can curry more favor (so as to escape the dreaded calumny of being labeled homophobic). And the money to pay your bar tab comes rolling in. It's tactical genius!

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Google Glass Jul 24, 2014, 19:52 Eirikrautha

When a nerd device loses the support of the nerd community, it's just about curtains...  

News Comments > Op Ed
62. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 21:46 Eirikrautha

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 21:16:
I guess I'm just too old and have been around the block too many times to give a damn about this "issue".

Someone once said to me that "Humans never solve any problem until it becomes an absolute crisis from which they cannot escape." That's proved true on every major social, financial, industrial, national and global problem I've seen in my life and those I've read of historically. Unless and until it directly impacts a significant amount of a total population, no effort will be made to rectify it. Specifically on this issue, I'd be generally surprised if it effected any more than 3% of the population globally and 15% of the population nationally within the US. I'm sure the national percentage will skew up or down dependent on the total volume of population within any other country.

I worked in the MMO industry for a very long time, since its birth really. I used to have a joke within the office that was adopted broadly because it was universally true about online service users. That joke was "It's not a good day on the internet until my race, sexuality, gender, and alleged promiscuity have been called in to question." Quite frankly, it was laughable to see complete strangers get worked up in to a frothing rage over things that were undeniably trivial and it was hilarious to read the creativity they'd use to try and insult me based upon the criteria mentioned above.

Looking at the article, the amount of bias is extremely evident and that bias is intentionally preserved by the disabling of comments. Partly, I am sure, to prevent those whom would call bullshit on it and refute it. I grant, however, that it is also partially to prevent the trolls from flaming for kicks.

In my time within the game industry, I worked with a lot of women. Just like their male counterparts; some were brilliant, some did their job and went home and some were horrible and didn't last long. There was zero harassment from within as it flatout wasn't tolerated. Before going in to content creation, I started on the support side as most hopefuls tend to do. In total, I would estimate that we had roughly fifty women between account, technical, and game support. Yes, undeniably, there were cretins who would harass our female employees because of their gender. Those cretins, however, made up about 1% of the total customer base. One percent. 99% of the customer base did not attack them based on their gender. The alleged "widespread harassment" as claimed by the article did not materialize within the five companies or from its customers I worked for over more than twenty years. I also understand this is anecdotal and the plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

I firmly believe that this is a case of "the lady doth protest too much".

While I was writing my post above, you posted the best support of one of my points that I could ever hope for. I don't think it's the "gaming industry's" problem, because it's not the industry doing it to them. It's the freaks and jerks in the audience that need to be condemned...

News Comments > Op Ed
60. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 21:41 Eirikrautha

Several responses, in no particular order:

• The headline of this article is misleading, at least in the fact that the issue is not women in the "game industry." It is women in the "public eye." Having read the article, I didn't see any complaints about harassment occurring in their workplace from their employers or coworkers. The examples were almost exclusively the responses of fans, online gamers, and other anonymous douche-nozzles. I would be shocked if the number of vile and inappropriate fan communications with someone like Jennifer Lawrence or Selena Gomez doesn't absolutely dwarf any of the sick stuff sent to these women. Which says to me that the problem is not one centered around "games." It is a problem of how people communicate with each other when (a)there is a high level of anonymity or (b)little threat of direct consequences. The same loser who is posting "show us your bewbs!" in an online chat room would likely not even have the courage to speak to one of these women that way face-to-face, especially in front of her boyfriend/brother, etc. This issue might have a different solution than one totally spawned in the "games industry," which is why I think this categorization is not helpful.

• There is a cognitive disconnect between the various claims of injury and capability, and this is not limited to women's issues. In fact, just about any group that dons the "victim" label runs afoul of this disconnect, whether it is a particular sexual or racial minority or even white Christians claiming to be discriminated against. Almost all "victim" groups assert that they are being discriminated against based on an incorrect assumption of inferior capabilities, while at the same time claiming that they are so fragile that even micro-aggresive transgressions are too much for them to bear. Which is it? In this case, I just have a hard time reconciling an article with a half-dozen trigger-warnings in front of it with the idea that women are just like anyone else in the workforce. Either women are so sensitive to these issues that they can be incapacitated by them, or they aren't? It seems like most "victim" groups don't want to be treated differently... unless it benefits them.

• Almost all of these discussions of equality (whether racial, gender, et al.) ignores the fact that none ALL [edit- ooops, typing too fast] of the progress that has already been made has come primarily from the actions of the majority. Blacks in the US didn't gain equality because they outnumbered whites and forced people to treat them equally. They didn't have the numbers or the power. They gained equality because they successfully demonstrated the moral superiority of their positions. They proved to the majority that the majority was morally wrong. And then the majority changed themselves. Even if every single black American had violently rebelled, they could not have forced the Civil Rights movement on an unwilling majority. They, instead, forced the majority to face the disconnect between what the majority preached (equality) and what they practiced (bigotry). Unfortunately, where the civil rights movement has been less successful is where it has given up the moral high-ground (reverse-discrimination, quota-based hiring and university admissions, etc.). Women face the same problem. Equality is a moral high-ground for them. It is nearly unarguable... at least until they stray from convincing to lashing out. There is a fine line between identifying obvious transgressions and generalizing them so that your allies get swept up with your enemies. I don't think many women would have a problem with getting men to condemn their stalkers, their abusers, and their harassers. When they start generalizing, accusing all men of being victimizers, the moral high-ground becomes very shaky. This article borders on that...

• This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2014, 21:52.

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
    28. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 21:51 Eirikrautha

Task wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:30:
    Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 13:41:
    I'm sure Putin didn't use his own money. It probably came from the credit cards stolen off of the bodies of the passengers of flight MH17...

Wow, more Russia bashing, nice. The kind of trash talk I'd expect from people that don't think on the basis of "Cui Bono?"

Geee, who benefits? Who benefits from sponsoring a revolution in a country that borders them, but is considering closer relationships with an economic and political rival (the EU)? Who benefits from the instability enough to seize a portion of that country (the Crimea) so as to guarantee themselves an entryway into the Black Sea? Who benefits from supplying advanced weapons and military "advisers" to the rebels, so as to maximize the instability and perhaps intervene to "restore order" (i.e. conquer more territory)?

Seems like Russia is the hands-down answer to all of those questions. Too bad the hand-grenade they gave to babies to play with actually went off. You give SAMs to poorly-trained rebels (assuming the Brits are wrong and they weren't actually being manned by Russian soldiers) and let them blast away, and you tend to get unforseen problems.

Russia benefited from the whole situation more than anyone else, until the rebels got trigger-happy. So your cui bono doesn't really help your case, comrade...

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
    8. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 13:41 Eirikrautha

I'm sure Putin didn't use his own money. It probably came from the credit cards stolen off of the bodies of the passengers of flight MH17...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 18:05 Eirikrautha

Re: The Cloud

Back in the day, when computer hardware was expensive (and gasoline was under $1 a gallon), most companies didn't want the tremendous expense of putting a fully self-contained computer in every office (size was also an issue). So, the IT folks had this amazing idea: let's put all of the important stuff on one large expensive computer, then give everyone in the office a "workstation" that can access the data on the mainframe, but doesn't cost anywhere near as much.

This was great in theory, until the utility of having all of your data and applications local became obvious (my computer goes down, I stop working; the server goes down, we ALL stop working). Once computer hardware got cheap enough, businesses couldn't wait to get rid of the hassles of mainframes.

Fast forward to today, where companies are deciding to put all of their data and applications in the "cloud" (which isn't even on-site!) and reduce the capabilities of the stations given to the workers. This is called "progress"...

Morons.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 16, 2014, 14:38 Eirikrautha

Wow, I'll do a study using a total of 88 kids in Australia and then extrapolate the results across the entire population of teenagers worldwide.

Seems like scientific literacy is just as crappy as regular literacy nowadays...

P.S. What's all this about people getting paid to post here on Blue's???? I have to pay him so I can post!

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
    3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 5, 2014, 14:13 Eirikrautha

A target for "deep surveillance"? How about a target for mental health services, 'cause God knows you've got to be "special" to read very much Boing Boing...?  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
    10. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 3, 2014, 22:44 Eirikrautha

jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 21:12:
    Simon Says wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 16:28:
    VIDEO ALERT PLEASE! Thank you!

Um, the URL says youtube if you hover over it. Don't you check your links before clicking?

On a tablet or phone, there is no "hover." There is only click, or not click. </Yoda>

News Comments > Age of Empires Online Goes Offline
    7. Re: Age of Empires Online Goes Offline Jul 2, 2014, 09:43 Eirikrautha

Verno wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 09:18:
    Damned shame to see this previously very popular and profitable franchise run into the ground.
    Like Thief.
    And Syndicate.
    And so on...

Nowadays, franchises are nothing more than a quick cash-grab. They're just trying to get you to output money based on the name. The only franchises revived in modern gaming that have been even slightly good games have been XCOM and Deus Ex (and maybe Tomb Raider, if you liked the new one). Otherwise it's just marketing.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin
    32. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 1, 2014, 10:49 Eirikrautha

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 23:51:
    Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 21:55:
    I've played about an hour, and it really scratches that old-school RPG itch. It feels a bit rough around the edges (the camera is awkward and the way it clips to provide visuals is annoying), but the basics seem solid. I'm not sure about the combat/magic system yet, but tht's only because I'm not very far in. We'll see how it goes...

If you like a lot of options, there is no better.

Also it may help if you don't know, there is a staight up and down view that helps sometimes when trying to click something that is hard to get at isometrically. You can also flip a switch in the Game Settings menu to rotate a full 360.

Thanks! That's helpful.

13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jun 30, 2014, 22:00 Eirikrautha

The question is whether anyone else can MAKE the special arrows. I've got shafts and steam-something-or-other arrowheads, but no matter what I try (use, drag-and-drop), I can't get them to combine. Granted, my knight/rogue group doesn't have too many applications for them yet...  

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jun 30, 2014, 21:55 Eirikrautha

I've played about an hour, and it really scratches that old-school RPG itch. It feels a bit rough around the edges (the camera is awkward and the way it clips to provide visuals is annoying), but the basics seem solid. I'm not sure about the combat/magic system yet, but tht's only because I'm not very far in. We'll see how it goes...  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
    15. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 30, 2014, 15:46 Eirikrautha

She'd wrong, but not because of the "40 year-old design" part of her statement. Where she really shows she doesn't get it is at the end of the article:

"We've gone from a world of undivided attention, to a world of multi-tasking," she added. "Play has always been a way to practise real world skills, and in order to maximise our time here on earth we're looking to be productive, and turn the mundane into entertainment.

"The world is becoming an even more connected and tightly integrated place. It's normal now to be in constant communication with everyone you know, and I think we can make our real world environment playable."

She's not wrong about the direction of Western societies, but about the results. 5000+ years of human history has shown that problems were solved fastest, most efficiently, and most effectively when humans focused their undivided attention on them. You can look at multiple cultures through history and track their intellectual and creative histories, and the peaks almost always come when people reach the political, social, and economic comfort-levels that enable intense personal study. But, now that we have lots of flashy-beepy things, all of human history is irrelevant... and we're going to multitask to Nirvana.

Why did the American Revolution succeed while the French Revolution failed (or you could substitute the Soviet Revolution, as the idea is the same)? Because the American Revolution was predicated on the idea that people DON'T CHANGE. The folks who wrote the US Constitution believed that humans could not be perfected, so they designed a system that would work in spite of human flaws. The French (and Soviet, and others...) Revolution failed because it had, at its basis, the idea that humanity could change. That if you could get the right people in power who could mold society in the proper way, then you could have utopia. This is why, for all of its faults, the US government has long outlived most of its competitors. It's also why I'm constantly surrounded by 20-somethings that only hear half the conversations and instructions, and then screw up everything they touch.

Yet Jade Raymond et al. seem to think that somehow, humanity is going to change so that multitasking will be the new great path forward in human progress. And she'll be as wrong as Robespierre and Lenin...

296 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo