Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 412 (Amateur)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > FNaF World Creator Apologizes for Rushed Release
14. Re: FNaF World Creator Apologizes for Rushed Release Jan 25, 2016, 22:09 Eirikrautha

Parias wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 14:07:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 10:55:
This game is an unfinished cash-grab.

If it is, then he's doing a bad job at it.

For that reason, I've decided to remove the game from Steam. I've also asked Valve to make it so that the game can be refunded regardless of the amount of the time it has been owned, meaning that anyone can get a refund at any time. It may take them a while to set that up, but it will be in place soon.

When I'm ready to update the game, I will replace the demo currently on GameJolt with the full game. From this point forward, the game will always be free.

Oh yeah. Total cash grab.

Actually, that hadn't been announced (or I certainly hadn't seen the announcement) when I posted.

But whatever. Nice to see that he has enough conscience to refund...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FNaF World Creator Apologizes for Rushed Release
1. Re: FNaF World Creator Apologizes for Rushed Release Jan 25, 2016, 10:55 Eirikrautha

So, the actual developer admits that others perceive his earlier games as unfinished cash-grabs.

This game is an unfinished cash-grab.

Someone help me see the connection between these two...

News Comments > Mighty No. 9 Delayed to Spring
2. Re: Mighty No. 9 Delayed to Spring Jan 25, 2016, 10:52 Eirikrautha

They seem to have done everything a kickstarter could do wrong:

• Play to nostalgia without recognizing that nostalgia is often impossible to live up to - check!

• Overpromise - check!

• Underbudget - check!

• Use an engine not directly designed for your needs - check!

• Hire toxic community managers (that are your employees' girlfriends) to alienate your supporters - check!

• Delay & Excuses - check!

• Folks, we have the absolute roadmap for kickstarter failure here! Someone get Chris Roberts on the phone...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 29, 2015, 14:40 Eirikrautha

Pigeon wrote on Dec 29, 2015, 13:37:
    On the Wikipedia article I've certainly run into the issue being described. I think part of the problem is a lot of those entries are written by people who are used to writing for scientific journals, which assume the reader already has a higher level of knowledge about the topic. Also the writing itself is generally not presented in a way that is easily understood by most people. It takes a good amount of skill to "dumb down" a complex topic so it's accessible to a wider readership. I'll take overly complex articles I have to struggle to understand over ones that only tell half the information to keep it simple any day.

The reason they are written like that is because many are copied word-for-word from textbooks and journals. I've run into this dozens of times when quick-referencing aerospace equations. This isn't a case of an expert who can't "dumb it down" or ELI5. It's a case of folks who have no clue what they are copying just pasting it into a wiki article...

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
    9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 29, 2015, 10:28 Eirikrautha

harlock wrote on Dec 29, 2015, 08:31:
    the show is disappointing in how inconsistent it is in the quality of the writing and so forth

also the plot device where you build up a character and follow them around and generate lots of interest, then kill them dead forever - that may be cool once or twice, maybe three times - but when it becomes the standard mechanic of your show, its fucking horrible... because then nobody will give a shit about anything since its so disposable
    Note that even The Walking Dead has figured that out. Since Beth, none of the major characters has died (not counting the Glen tease... which everyone knew wasn't true). Imagine how many people would be turned off if Carol or Daryl or Michonne were to be killed off? Once people invest energy in getting to know the characters, they don't want to invest more without a substantial payoff... which neither show has managed to make worth the cost of a main character so far.

News Comments > Triad Wars Beta Closing
    1. Re: Triad Wars Beta Closing Dec 23, 2015, 22:45 Eirikrautha

I'm confused. Is the beta ending, or are they canning the whole game?  

News Comments > BATTLETECH Progress Report
    25. Re: BATTLETECH Progress Report Dec 23, 2015, 20:43 Eirikrautha

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 14:55:
    Slashman wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 13:36:
    But I loved the Mad Cat. Why is it NOT in the game?

Because I specifically pledged to not have any insane meowing in the game. That's why.

Yeah... I get enough of that at home...

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Free Weekend
    10. Re: Sword Coast Legends Free Weekend Dec 19, 2015, 10:49 Eirikrautha

Ehhh, I don't think this free weekend accomplished what they hoped it would. I played an hour of the game and am not the slightest bit motivated to boot it back up, much less buy it...  

News Comments > Kojima's Konami Departure Confirmed
    12. Re: Kojima's Konami Departure Confirmed Dec 16, 2015, 21:05 Eirikrautha

Slick wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 17:05:
    Eirikrautha wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 16:40:
    Slick wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 13:11:
    *continued from lastnight's thread*

LurkerLito wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 02:11:
    Slick wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 01:22:
    I doubt we'll ever hear the details on exactly why the split happened. But i have my doubts that Konami is the Devil, and Kojima is a saint.

<snip>

Just sayin, I don't have any info on Konami being irrationally dickish for no reason (I welcome new data), but we all have decades of info on Kojima being fucking nutty.

True we will probably never hear the real story, but it says a lot when your game wins an award and Konami tells the game creator he can't go to the award presentation to accept an award he deserves in recognition of the work he did for them. So yeah we have some real strong indicators that Konami was being irrationally dickish.

Well, we know that Konami was being incredibly dickish yes, but we don't know if it was "irrationally" dickish. That's my main point.

What could Kojima have done to deserve that treatment? It would seem rather insane and out-of-the-blue for a publisher to treat their all-star talent like that to such an extreme degree if unprovoked. That's the part that doesn't add up.

Mistake #1: because most people believe that all cultures are "equal" (or equivalent), assuming that all cultures are the same. The Japanese have some really strange ideas, especially when it comes to employment and duty. I wouldn't be surprised if I read a news report asserting that Konami was the best place on the planet to work, followed on the same page by an article that asserted Konami was using nothing but slave labor. The Japanese do not think/behave the same way that Westerners do...

All hearsay. Show me some evidence to support your claims, instead of just waxing poetic about how other cultures are different, so it's possible that bla bla bla.

I'll provide evidence when you do. You are the one who started hyperbolic hypotheticals ("It would seem rather insane and out-of-the-blue for a publisher to treat their all-star talent like that to such an extreme degree if unprovoked."). Yeah, sounds real factual...

News Comments > Kojima's Konami Departure Confirmed
    9. Re: Kojima's Konami Departure Confirmed Dec 16, 2015, 16:40 Eirikrautha

Slick wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 13:11:
    *continued from lastnight's thread*

LurkerLito wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 02:11:
    Slick wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 01:22:
    I doubt we'll ever hear the details on exactly why the split happened. But i have my doubts that Konami is the Devil, and Kojima is a saint.

<snip>

Just sayin, I don't have any info on Konami being irrationally dickish for no reason (I welcome new data), but we all have decades of info on Kojima being fucking nutty.

True we will probably never hear the real story, but it says a lot when your game wins an award and Konami tells the game creator he can't go to the award presentation to accept an award he deserves in recognition of the work he did for them. So yeah we have some real strong indicators that Konami was being irrationally dickish.

Well, we know that Konami was being incredibly dickish yes, but we don't know if it was "irrationally" dickish. That's my main point.

What could Kojima have done to deserve that treatment? It would seem rather insane and out-of-the-blue for a publisher to treat their all-star talent like that to such an extreme degree if unprovoked. That's the part that doesn't add up.

Mistake #1: because most people believe that all cultures are "equal" (or equivalent), assuming that all cultures are the same. The Japanese have some really strange ideas, especially when it comes to employment and duty. I wouldn't be surprised if I read a news report asserting that Konami was the best place on the planet to work, followed on the same page by an article that asserted Konami was using nothing but slave labor. The Japanese do not think/behave the same way that Westerners do...

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Specs
    25. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Specs Dec 5, 2015, 19:42 Eirikrautha

I bought E:D during the Thanksgiving sale on Steam. I've been playing it pretty regularly the last week or so.

I think it's best in small chunks. The beginning is pretty grindy... at least it's hard to gain money at low power levels. You spend a lot of time in transit until you grind up some better equipment and reputation. After you get more of both, the game really picks up, at least as far as action/travel ratio. I'm going the bounty hunter route, so I needed a better ship and a kill warrant scanner (about 100K credits) to spend more time loitering. Now I can jump into the game, dogfight for a while (while making decent money), then leave when I want. It's not the second coming of Freespace, but it's OK.

I wasn't going to buy this because Braben reneged on the local game (to make it always connected), but $15 bucks was enough to get me to try it. I'm not sorry I did.

P.S., I also picked up Transistor in the same sale, because I loved Bastion. I haven't got my $4 worth yet... I wish I'd skipped it...

News Comments > Saturday Previews
    1. Re: Saturday Previews Dec 5, 2015, 13:15 Eirikrautha

Hmmm, so how much of development is being driven by the "alpha" access of the backers? See, they are talking about working on a "slowdown" bug. But when do you normally do that? I mean, in most of the software dev I've participated in, you do features, then performance, then polish. RSI seems to be doing the whole thing backwards. We get work on "gorgeous" explosions in space, but still missing most of the basic features (sorry, but a multiplayer game needs to have the multiplayer running FIRST; otherwise, you will find yourself constantly reinventing the system as you implement features. Oh wait, that's exactly what RSI is doing...).

How much of this is the product of needing to constantly wow the people playing the alphas and betas, in order to keep them donating (or encouraging others to donate)? Seems to me that the focus on crowdfunding has inverted the healthiest development processes. Hope RSI has enough money to develop everything three or more times...

News Comments > On Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Support
    3. Re: On Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Support Nov 25, 2015, 11:14 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 10:28:
    Eh, I can see his point. If he makes no money off of it, why keep working on it. In the end you pay money for the game, and if the dev keeps supporting it after the fact, then hurray! But it shouldn't really be expected.

On the flipside, I don't know whether he promised to support the game for a certain period of time. If he did, then his customers have a right to be upset.

The reason to keep working on it has to do with reputation. If I know you are going to release a game and support it, I'm likely to buy based on what the game could be rather than what it is at launch. But if I know you are going to drop support for your games quickly, especially if they don't sell well (which happens most frequently with buggy games), then I'm not buying anything that isn't pristine at launch. So you are not supporting for the money you make off this game, but the money you hope to make on the next game.

And this entitled twat has pretty much guaranteed that many people won't bother with his next game at all. Because he can't be trusted to support his flops along with his successes, and we're not willing to take that chance. He's so the poster-child for the spoiled, entitled generations that live now, unwilling to defer gratification for future rewards...

News Comments > J.J. Abrams Collaboration SPYJINX Announced
    17. Re: J.J. Abrams Collaboration SPSUCKJINXYJINX Announced Nov 12, 2015, 17:38 Eirikrautha

wasteoid wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 11:53:
    nin wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 22:54:
    Kxmode wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 22:50:
    Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 21:11:
    SUCKJINX.

FFS man, you don't even know know what the game is! Can you just once put away your Cloak of Anger?

Personally, it's sounds interesting. I signed up to be notified of future developments.

cutter shitting on something? I'm shocked! That only happens 5-6 times a day...

How awesome would that be, to shit 5-6 times a day!
    Might I suggest dysentery?

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Studios Launches
    14. Re: Activision Blizzard Studios Launches Nov 7, 2015, 21:29 Eirikrautha

Kxmode wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 22:12:
    deqer wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 21:38:
    What the fuck. I played warcraft because it's a GAME. I'm not going to watch a god damn TV show about it...

"What the fuck. I read comic books about Batman, Superman, Spiderman and Xmen. I'm not going to watch a god damn movie about them..."

Right and nobody thought a card game based on WOW or a MOBA based on Blizzard's IPs would do well. You, my friend, is what we call... "old". It's not an age, but a state of mind. You're unwilling to brace the new and so you lash out at it. I on the other hand look forward to a StarCraft film, Warcraft film, etc. etc.
    Except, of course, comics are passive media. You read the already created story in a comic book, not create it yourself as you "play" with the comic book.

In other words, your analogy sucks, and the original criticism stands...

News Comments > Saturday Previews
    1. Re: Saturday Previews Oct 31, 2015, 14:31 Eirikrautha

Popcorn - check!
    Grape Kool Aid - check!
    Hateoraid - check!

Have I got everyone covered?

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
    15. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 29, 2015, 16:24 Eirikrautha

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 12:59:
    Cutter wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 12:09:
    On a related note, Texas Democratic state senator Wendy Davis took to Twitter to take SXSW 2016 organizers to task about their decision on the panels.

“Women face harassment & misogyny in gaming. That @sxsw empowers aggressors in defeating discourse is disturbing.”

Really? And she knows this how? What's her first hand experience in the matter? And what about men who experience discrimination and misandry from women? Oh right, they don't matter.
    Probably because there's a ton of examples of it all over the net. Saying that only first-hand experience counts is nonsensical. While guys may get some abuse like that, there's infinitely fewer cases of it, just based on sheer numbers of men vs women in gaming.

Bullshit.

The Pew online harassment study, based on a survey of nearly 3,000 Internet users last June, found that 44 percent of men and 37 percent of women had experienced some form of online abuse, from name-calling to physical threats and stalking. The biggest gender gap was in the fairly mild category of being called offensive names, experienced by nearly a third of men on the Internet but only 22 percent of female users. However, more men—10 percent, compared to 6 percent of women—also reported being physically threatened.
    http://time.com/3546044/online-harassment-affects-men-too/

Cutter is right... you're just making shit up...

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
    131. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 16:55 Eirikrautha

Jesus H. Tap-dancing Keee-Rist!!!!

Did anyone actually read Roberts' letter? Derek Smart is living rent-free in his head! Talk about a persecution complex. Honestly, the only thing missing is CR accusing DS of stealing his strawberries. "That's when I knew I had them! The Strawberries!"

Oh, and I'll just leave this right here (called it months ago):

24. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 11:55 Eirikrautha

Shineyguy wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 10:12:
    "And through that, we’re going to subpoena and depose every single key person"

Because that's what they need; another delay to development.

Please...

Chris Roberts will be positively giddy at this. At this point, there is no endgame for him. Like any other ponzi scheme, funding yesterday with today's money, Chris Roberts has no way to bail on SC without accepting the blame. When the musical chairs money runs out, CR will be left without a chair to sit in. He'd be totally at fault.

Now, he'll get to blame the time and expense of the lawyers, etc., to weasel out of the blame for SC's crash. "See, SC would have been awesome, but {insert grumbling here}..."

Heck, this is the biggest favor that Derek Smart could have done Chris Roberts. I'm beginning to think that there is collusion between the two, because this is so perfect for CR to dodge the fallout from SC...

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
    7. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 5, 2015, 15:32 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 11:42:
    nin wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 09:39:
    Shenmue 3 Creator Says He "Could Do With a Bit More Money." *Blink*

Yeah, couldn't we all?

"I said yep, what a concept..."

Soon you will be able to buy Shenmue spaceships ... pictures of spaceships ... not-actually-designed-yet spaceships that 'meet their specifications' for $400! BUY NOW!
    Ouch! I actually laughed out loud at that. Sadly, though, I can actually see it happening ($50 for an exclusive extra character, etc.)

News Comments > No Man's Sky on Late Show
    8. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 4, 2015, 14:55 Eirikrautha

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 14:36:
    Forget No Man's Sky... The real story is we have a GAME DEVELOPER being seriously interviewed on a late night talk show. I'm sure a bunch of old codgers were bored or confused, but this is it, we've made it!

We need to find out who their VP of Marketing is...

412 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo