Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 321 (Amateur)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
155. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 21:01 Eirikrautha

Darn it! I was going to buy this at launch. Not happening now.

Oh, and for the "this-doesn't-affect-you shills," I'll speak slowly and use small words, so you'll be sure to understand:

See, it's my money. I decide what I purchase. I decide what "affects" me and what doesn't. So if I like the idea that a game doesn't require always-on internet, it doesn't matter if I have a T-1 or a string-and-cup for communication. If always-on is OK with me, I'll spend MY money. If I don't, I won't spend MY money.

So, it doesn't matter what any of you nasal-cockstoppers think about my justification of how I spend MY money. It so happens that one of the features that attracted me to this product was that it had an offline mode. Now they announce it will not. So I'm no longer interested enough to buy it. You can't argue with that, because it isn't your money or your interest. So STFU. And have a nice day.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2014, 16:57 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 14:30:
Julio wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 12:40:
Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 11:40:
Well their paid reviews means you can halve their scores so it puts it in the 4 or 5 out of ten range. Definitely wait for actual player reviews.

Agreed, and even then a lot of player reviews. Polygon and Destructoid aren't exactly known for their ethical reporting.

Source/evidence of that?

Oh, right, you have none, other than them having opinions you disagree with.
Or, the owner of Destructoid green-lighted a story that outed a transexual (who was scamming folks via kickstarter), then abandoned the reporter when the heat rose, and even used his connections with other media to blacklist said reporter (including sending emails encouraging other outlets not to hire the reporter that may violate Florida and US laws on collusion). In addition to publicly misleading others about whether the reporter was still employed by Destructoid...

Sure... they're as clean as the wind-driven snow... I'd trust them to be honest...%)

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: If Twitter Won’t Handle Its Massive Harassment Problem, These Women Will. Nov 8, 2014, 20:14 Eirikrautha

Squirmer wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 19:32:
What are you afraid of?
I don't even have a twitter account. But, to answer your question: stupidity. It's catching faster than Ebola nowadays.

BTW, nice attempted redirection! Do you have a useless Hyphen-Studies degree you are trying to get some mileage out of? (see how that works?)

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: If Twitter Won’t Handle Its Massive Harassment Problem, These Women Will. Nov 8, 2014, 17:12 Eirikrautha

Hand your abuse-reporting system over to an agenda-driven group that profits from its own existence? What a brilliant idea! It offers immunization from the radicals, plus deniability when the system is inevitably misused.

Next up, Facebook will contract with the American Enterprise Institute and Rush Limbaugh to handle claims of harassment against the right-wing and wealthy.

Dolts.

News Comments > BATTLECRY Class Trailer
6. Re: BATTLECRY Class Trailer Nov 2, 2014, 09:13 Eirikrautha

And! The! Crowd! Goes! ... meh...  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
59. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 18:33 Eirikrautha

Verno wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 09:00:
I see plenty of strong female representation in games, we don't need to go around changing the whole fucking hobby to suit an extremely small vocal minority who can't just be patient while these things happen on their own over time.

Wow! Hammer meet nail-head! Smash

Seriously, this is the ultimate cause of not only this issue, but I would argue, most so-called First-World Problems. Western society has gotten so narcissistic that people cannot stand to be told "not now." They have to have what they want immediately, or it's a massive tantrum. The idea that the world won't change instantly to be what they want is incomprehensible to them. GamerGate is just the symptom of a much larger disease...

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
14. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 12, 2014, 09:47 Eirikrautha

Strangely enough, I don't regret anything I crowd-funded. So far, I feel like I got a pretty good value for the handful of things I kickstarted (*he says as he prepares to fire up Wasteland 2 after posting*). If anything, I regret not kickstarting more stuff (though not necessarily video games). I mean, how did I miss THIS?!?  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2014, 15:51 Eirikrautha

Hyatus wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 15:09:
Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 10:45:
If we're white heterosexual males we're monsters oppressing everyone else and making their lives a living hell.

That's not the point. Just because you are not oppressing someone doesn't mean that it is not a problem in our white, heterosexual male community. We are at a point where, I believe, most of us will tell someone using the n-word or other racially-based insult to STFU. That is not (generally) true when someone uses insults based on sexual orientation.

To think that we have come to accept, as a majority, LGBT folks as natural and normal is quite false. We may not, individually, be the monsters, but we definitely turn a blind eye to the ones around us. Someday that will change for the better. Today is not that day.

No, it will never change. This is why those who advocate "change" never actually do anything to help achieve it. A convention for a marginalized group? This doesn't foster inclusiveness... because they don't WANT inclusiveness. The folks running these things want marginalized groups that are segregated and angry. They'll never actually do anything to bring about acceptance and harmony... there's no money in it...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 14, 2014, 11:14 Eirikrautha

I wonder which judges have a financial interest in the games they are judging this year. Not that anyone would 'fess up to it, right?

Sadly, the more I find out, the more likely I become to avoid a game that has "won" these indie awards. Sad, really...

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 22:19 Eirikrautha

Squirmer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 22:10:
And has Gamasutra made any plans to retract some of the slanderous things they've been printing lately or is that all in the name of the editorial?

What is slanderous, exactly? The Leigh Alexander article everyone seems angry about is actually very reasonable if you're mature enough to 1) actually read it, and 2) understand what it's saying.

I mean, she concedes the abuse comes from a vocal minority. She pointedly does not lump every individual "gamer" into the same mass. Her point is that the "gaming community" is widely known for obscene levels of abuse, and unless you actively speak out against it, you at best maintain the status quo, and at worst encourage the abuse. The point is that the culture needs to change, and that's not gonna happen if people keep responding with #notallgamers

There's nothing to argue with there unless you're seriously offended by something no one said.
Both that article and the one she wrote for Time misrepresents the concerns of those that she also ridicules. Her rhetoric is just as toxic as anything she condemns. I'm sorry, don't expect to be praised for self-righteously attacking a strawman, while insulting your audience and praising your own moral superiority at the same time...

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 22:16 Eirikrautha

I've got to disagree with the general tenor of this thread. On the downside, The Escapist has:
  • Reported on "harassment" based on an editor's ideology rather than verified facts

• Had several contributors either dismissive or outright hostile to gamers on social media

• On the plus side:
  • When almost every other website modded any and all discussion of the whole Gamergate issue to oblivion, The Escapist provided a forum for discussion

• The co-founder of The Escapist came onto the forums and talked directly to the folks in order to understand their points

• Subsequently, said co-founder responded to these issue by changing the policies on every website he controls to reflect the issues and complaints

• This was accompanied by a direct apology to the web-group referenced in the first bullet under my negatives by the editor at fault

• The Escapist also produced original reporting on several issues (including a conflict between ZQ and 4chan) that was far more balanced than almost any other media sites reporting on Gamergate

• Overall, I think the positives dramatically outweigh the negatives. I'm adding The Escapist to my regular gaming rotation (to replace Really Provocatively Stupid)...

News Comments > Independent Games Festival Defends Judging Process
    4. Re: Independent Games Festival Defends Judging Process Sep 8, 2014, 15:58 Eirikrautha

I read this "defense" yesterday. Note that it doesn't say anywhere how they actively prevent conflict of interest. It leaves it up to the judge to recuse themselves... meaning that someone who was already inclined to "game" the system has no check on them other than their inclination to not game the system... er, OK.

Basically, this is a non-denial denial.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
    23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 29, 2014, 15:04 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 17:34:
    Prez wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 17:15:
    Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 12:20:
    Prez wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 12:03:
    Screw arguing over diction and spelling, Apple got smacked down in court again! In your face, Apple! Suck it down!!!!

In proper English its actually Sucke it down ye olde Apple, sorry for your mistake.

LOL!

(Not sure how you say "LOL" in "Ye Ole English)

You say "Verily, such mirth of grand fashion! Guffaw!"

What's all this new-fangled "English" crap you're spewing? Get it right, the only real English is this:

Hleahtor bith maest hord, sothlice!

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
    1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 26, 2014, 16:43 Eirikrautha

Hope folks will support the only approach that will actually increase female voices in the industry: increasing female voices in the industry.  

News Comments > Op Ed
    40. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 20:33 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 13:37:
    What SJW's don't understand is that we view fighting SJW's and their toxic, infectious bullshit and fighting sexism in gaming as two separate things.

May I ask, then, what you think people like Cutter, Mad Max, ASeven, etc., are doing to "fight sexism in gaming?"

There are hundreds of thousands of words fighting "SJWs" on this board. Excluding the people considered "SJWs," there are maybe a dozen posts fighting sexism in gaming.
    Which is what drives those you call "SJWs" insane - rather than focus on the problem, people focus on those saying there's a problem. The assumption becomes that the sexism isn't that big a deal ("Marissa Meyer only runs one of the largest companies on the planet because she's hot!") and the complaining is the larger issue ("Zoe Quinn proves all women in gaming are frauds!")

See, here's the issue you don't seem to get. There's a difference between agreeing that there is a sexism problem in gaming, agreeing with the extent of the problem, and agreeing on what the proper solutions are to that problem. The problem that most people have with SJWs is that they demand immediate agreement and obedience to their opinions on all three of these topics. If you agree that there is sexism, but you disagree with the scope of it, you are a sexist. If you agree that there is a larger problem with sexism in the gaming community, but you don't agree with them on how to fix it, then you are a sexist. The SJW has no allies, only sock-puppets or enemies. That's it.

So when you have people lamenting that women's voices are being silenced in gaming, most rational people are bothered by this statement... primarily because most people are decent enough that they hate to see anyone silenced a priori. Which is why most people are initially sympathetic to SJWs. What they don't understand until later (and what causes the backlash) is that SJWs aren't opposed to silencing people; they are only opposed to being silenced themselves! The average SJW would happily ban/mute/ignore/silence/shove into cattle-cars those that disagree with them. They aren't complaining based on their opposition to being silenced; they are complaining because other people get to say things they don't like and they can't stop it.

That's the whole "scandal" in this Zoe Quinn mess. She (and her sex life) are irrelevant. What IS relevant is that her supporters, many of whom are in positions of power in the gaming press, and many of whom have spoken out loudly against the silencing of feminist opinions, are brutally suppressing any mention of her hypocrisy, their hypocrisy, or the incestuous relationship between indie developers and segments of the gaming press. If a person posted a blog about how a misogynistic indie developer used his friendship with gaming "journalists" to both pimp his game and to keep another game (by a woman) from being developed, and the gaming press silenced the discussion on this, the SJWs would lose their fucking MINDS. RPS would stop publishing anything for days, just so that John Walker could pontificate on the shame we should all feel for being born on the same planet as this event! It would be the greatest crime (to the SJWs) since the Khymer Rouge's Killing Fields!

Reverse the antagonist in this case (to a SJW and buddy of the gaming press) and the Great Wall of Fucking Silence descends on the internet. You'd have a better chance getting cops to rat out each other for speeding than get Kotaku to admit that their "journalists" pimp their friends' shit (and run down the stuff that isn't in their clique).

This is all related to SJWs because of the blatant hypocrisy. Deviate one iota from the party line, and they will screw your career up forever (and pat themselves on the back for it). Donate to Prop 8 in Cali, and you can't even work at Mozilla. But use your journalist friends to destroy two different game jams, et al... and we can't talk about that.

If SJWs were about giving voice to the voiceless, they'd be untouchable. But they're not. They're about ruthlessly bullying and silencing anyone that even slightly disagrees, all while demanding they themselves be heard. Which is why more and more people are ignoring them...

News Comments > Hack Your Fiends in Watch Dogs
    8. Re: Hack Your Fiends in Watch Dogs Aug 22, 2014, 10:19 Eirikrautha

HACK YOUR FRIENDS – You can now select available friends via the grid and hack or tail them without their knowledge. This can be disabled under online options. – (ALL PLATFORMS)

Because society isn't heartless and uncivil enough, let's train kids to be griefers for entertainment. Better yet, let's get them to grief their friends, so that they'll have even less compassion for random strangers.

This is fun?

News Comments > Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial
    41. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 20:46 Eirikrautha

You know, RSI should make some more commercials about Star Citizen. I really hadn't heard much about this game, and it could definitely use some more exposure.  

News Comments > Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander
    24. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 10, 2014, 23:37 Eirikrautha

Ryan Lange wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 23:12:
    Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 20:41:
    ...and no software company lets TrackIR people play around in their raw code (unless they are total buffoons).

For TrackIR it's probably not necessary, but I know NVIDIA will send one or more developers to work as part of the development team for a game.

Very true. I've heard of that from both Nvidia and AMD, but I'm unaware of any instances from TrackIR. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened; I've just never heard of it. Looking at the SDK, the hooks don't appear to be that challenging to implement... it's just a matter of making sure that the TrackIR motions don't cause issues (go out of bounds, etc.), and that's all on RSI coders...

21. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 10, 2014, 20:41 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 20:14:
    DangerDog wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 14:55:
    Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 10:30:
    Sorry, but adding modes to the arena does not seem to be moving this game closer to the very long list of goals that it has. I understand not wanting modellers to sit idle while you are programming, but is RSI seriously telling me with this that their programmers have nothing to do but add modes to the arena? Seriously?

I'm sure they would say something like "it was a quick and easy addition" I think they should focus more on making the basic combat simulation better like Elite Dangerous did. If they want to throw some resources at something how about TrackIR support, it adds a new dimension to these types of games where once you play with it enabled you can't play without.

Right now there are people trying to hack it into Arena Commander but it's just that a hack and you can only "freelook" you can't fire weapons while using TrackIR.

Maybe they're fighting against some brick walls in the CryEngine and it's putting entire teams in a waiting pattern. I think someone posted about how they seem to be more focused on making demos for the next game convention than really going head first into development.

They probably only have a handful of people that are really capable of working at the code level of CryEngine.

Shouldn't that be the responsibility of the good people at TrackIR? I mean, if they want to sell the things they should be supporting them in every game they can.

TrackIR has a SDK that developers can use to hook their code to the TrackIR hardware. The SDK has been out for a long time, and no software company lets TrackIR people play around in their raw code (unless they are total buffoons). So the implementation of TrackIR must come from the RSI programmers imbedding the code hooks provided by the SDK into their code to allow functionality. That's on them, not TrackIR...

13. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 10, 2014, 17:18 Eirikrautha

Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 16:27:
    FWIW, before I posted this, I read your posting history. You write readable english enjoyably well for someone who's primary language is bookwyrm.

Errrr, thanks, I think...

321 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo