Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 308 (Amateur)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 26, 2014, 16:43 Eirikrautha

Hope folks will support the only approach that will actually increase female voices in the industry: increasing female voices in the industry.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 20:33 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 13:37:
What SJW's don't understand is that we view fighting SJW's and their toxic, infectious bullshit and fighting sexism in gaming as two separate things.

May I ask, then, what you think people like Cutter, Mad Max, ASeven, etc., are doing to "fight sexism in gaming?"

There are hundreds of thousands of words fighting "SJWs" on this board. Excluding the people considered "SJWs," there are maybe a dozen posts fighting sexism in gaming.
Which is what drives those you call "SJWs" insane - rather than focus on the problem, people focus on those saying there's a problem. The assumption becomes that the sexism isn't that big a deal ("Marissa Meyer only runs one of the largest companies on the planet because she's hot!") and the complaining is the larger issue ("Zoe Quinn proves all women in gaming are frauds!")

See, here's the issue you don't seem to get. There's a difference between agreeing that there is a sexism problem in gaming, agreeing with the extent of the problem, and agreeing on what the proper solutions are to that problem. The problem that most people have with SJWs is that they demand immediate agreement and obedience to their opinions on all three of these topics. If you agree that there is sexism, but you disagree with the scope of it, you are a sexist. If you agree that there is a larger problem with sexism in the gaming community, but you don't agree with them on how to fix it, then you are a sexist. The SJW has no allies, only sock-puppets or enemies. That's it.

So when you have people lamenting that women's voices are being silenced in gaming, most rational people are bothered by this statement... primarily because most people are decent enough that they hate to see anyone silenced a priori. Which is why most people are initially sympathetic to SJWs. What they don't understand until later (and what causes the backlash) is that SJWs aren't opposed to silencing people; they are only opposed to being silenced themselves! The average SJW would happily ban/mute/ignore/silence/shove into cattle-cars those that disagree with them. They aren't complaining based on their opposition to being silenced; they are complaining because other people get to say things they don't like and they can't stop it.

That's the whole "scandal" in this Zoe Quinn mess. She (and her sex life) are irrelevant. What IS relevant is that her supporters, many of whom are in positions of power in the gaming press, and many of whom have spoken out loudly against the silencing of feminist opinions, are brutally suppressing any mention of her hypocrisy, their hypocrisy, or the incestuous relationship between indie developers and segments of the gaming press. If a person posted a blog about how a misogynistic indie developer used his friendship with gaming "journalists" to both pimp his game and to keep another game (by a woman) from being developed, and the gaming press silenced the discussion on this, the SJWs would lose their fucking MINDS. RPS would stop publishing anything for days, just so that John Walker could pontificate on the shame we should all feel for being born on the same planet as this event! It would be the greatest crime (to the SJWs) since the Khymer Rouge's Killing Fields!

Reverse the antagonist in this case (to a SJW and buddy of the gaming press) and the Great Wall of Fucking Silence descends on the internet. You'd have a better chance getting cops to rat out each other for speeding than get Kotaku to admit that their "journalists" pimp their friends' shit (and run down the stuff that isn't in their clique).

This is all related to SJWs because of the blatant hypocrisy. Deviate one iota from the party line, and they will screw your career up forever (and pat themselves on the back for it). Donate to Prop 8 in Cali, and you can't even work at Mozilla. But use your journalist friends to destroy two different game jams, et al... and we can't talk about that.

If SJWs were about giving voice to the voiceless, they'd be untouchable. But they're not. They're about ruthlessly bullying and silencing anyone that even slightly disagrees, all while demanding they themselves be heard. Which is why more and more people are ignoring them...

News Comments > Hack Your Fiends in Watch Dogs
8. Re: Hack Your Fiends in Watch Dogs Aug 22, 2014, 10:19 Eirikrautha

HACK YOUR FRIENDS You can now select available friends via the grid and hack or tail them without their knowledge. This can be disabled under online options. (ALL PLATFORMS)

Because society isn't heartless and uncivil enough, let's train kids to be griefers for entertainment. Better yet, let's get them to grief their friends, so that they'll have even less compassion for random strangers.

This is fun?

News Comments > Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial
41. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 20:46 Eirikrautha

You know, RSI should make some more commercials about Star Citizen. I really hadn't heard much about this game, and it could definitely use some more exposure.  

News Comments > Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander
24. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 10, 2014, 23:37 Eirikrautha

Ryan Lange wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 23:12:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 20:41:
...and no software company lets TrackIR people play around in their raw code (unless they are total buffoons).

For TrackIR it's probably not necessary, but I know NVIDIA will send one or more developers to work as part of the development team for a game.

Very true. I've heard of that from both Nvidia and AMD, but I'm unaware of any instances from TrackIR. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened; I've just never heard of it. Looking at the SDK, the hooks don't appear to be that challenging to implement... it's just a matter of making sure that the TrackIR motions don't cause issues (go out of bounds, etc.), and that's all on RSI coders...

21. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 10, 2014, 20:41 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 20:14:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 14:55:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 10:30:
Sorry, but adding modes to the arena does not seem to be moving this game closer to the very long list of goals that it has. I understand not wanting modellers to sit idle while you are programming, but is RSI seriously telling me with this that their programmers have nothing to do but add modes to the arena? Seriously?

I'm sure they would say something like "it was a quick and easy addition" I think they should focus more on making the basic combat simulation better like Elite Dangerous did. If they want to throw some resources at something how about TrackIR support, it adds a new dimension to these types of games where once you play with it enabled you can't play without.

Right now there are people trying to hack it into Arena Commander but it's just that a hack and you can only "freelook" you can't fire weapons while using TrackIR.

Maybe they're fighting against some brick walls in the CryEngine and it's putting entire teams in a waiting pattern. I think someone posted about how they seem to be more focused on making demos for the next game convention than really going head first into development.

They probably only have a handful of people that are really capable of working at the code level of CryEngine.

Shouldn't that be the responsibility of the good people at TrackIR? I mean, if they want to sell the things they should be supporting them in every game they can.

TrackIR has a SDK that developers can use to hook their code to the TrackIR hardware. The SDK has been out for a long time, and no software company lets TrackIR people play around in their raw code (unless they are total buffoons). So the implementation of TrackIR must come from the RSI programmers imbedding the code hooks provided by the SDK into their code to allow functionality. That's on them, not TrackIR...

13. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 10, 2014, 17:18 Eirikrautha

Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 16:27:
FWIW, before I posted this, I read your posting history. You write readable english enjoyably well for someone who's primary language is bookwyrm.

Errrr, thanks, I think...

1. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 10, 2014, 10:30 Eirikrautha

Sorry, but adding modes to the arena does not seem to be moving this game closer to the very long list of goals that it has. I understand not wanting modellers to sit idle while you are programming, but is RSI seriously telling me with this that their programmers have nothing to do but add modes to the arena? Seriously?  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 5, 2014, 08:56 Eirikrautha

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 21:05:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 20:21:
Darn, I thought they were talking about 50 shades of grey.

You are joking of course, but I also disagree that Ulysses is the greatest novel of the 20th century. Most obtuse, sure. Most purposely dense, definitely. Least likely to be a good game, probably.

Yeah. Spent three weeks on it in a grad-level course on Irish writers. Afterward, I had even less respect for it than the microscopic amount I had before studying it. There's more depth and meaning in any work by Conrad, or any single poem by Blake. It's the Great White Hype...

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Beta
8. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Beta Aug 5, 2014, 08:52 Eirikrautha

Angrius Maximis wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 08:41:
A little disappointed that all they are doing is taking Panzer General and slapping Warhammer 40k sprites on it. Pass

QFT!

Seriously, look at the screenshots. It looks like crap. GW has got to be the most inept licensing-agent ever in the history of video games.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Aug 2, 2014, 16:18 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 16:15:
Don't fly drones over our police stations. We do that to you, it shouldn't happen the other way around. Trust us, we're the good guys.

You beat me to it.

Some animals are more equal than others...

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Delayed?
1. Re: Wasteland 2 Delayed? Aug 1, 2014, 19:18 Eirikrautha

Noooooooo!!!

A month is like forever!

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 31, 2014, 15:59 Eirikrautha

I'll just post this right here and run...

Dave Chappelle (NSFW)

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 13:17 Eirikrautha

NKD wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 12:49:
I wasn't aware that a 17 year old wearing a skimpy cosplay outfit to a major con was bad judgement.

Well, then, we both learned something today!

Unfortunately, how you dress does affect the way people treat you, especially if you are young, alone, and vulnerable. I don't expect most kids to think about these things. But it's a lot easier to learn that from the adults around you than it is from a hospital stay. But hey, what's the worst that could happen?

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
15. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 30, 2014, 12:23 Eirikrautha

NetHead wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 20:41:
I think they need to throw in some more epic wank words and phrases because I managed to hold back the vomit until closing flash player. It's better to watch that on mute.

As for the game, I'll be waiting for first hand experience. I don't expect it to be as good as Dragon Age, especially not after that sequel, though it may still end up good.

LOL!!!

Yeah, you'd think that someone cut up every AAA PR promo video script, put the pieces in a hat, and drew out the phrases at random while voicing this clip.

Can I have more "pulse-pounding" action, please, Mr. Dragon Age? Rolleyes

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 11:50 Eirikrautha

So I let my minor daughter dress up as a "rabbit" (check out the outfits on the Facebook page linked in the article... with the url "lustfulcreation" no less), travel to a convention with just her friends, and am surprised when something bad happens.

And before anyone whines about "blaming the victim," I don't expect children to understand when they are doing stupid stuff. But I do expect their parents (and the other adults in their lives) to understand when they are doing stupid stuff and stop them. And just because you have the "right" to do something doesn't make it less stupid to do.

So I'm really sorry this kid got hurt, and hopefully they'll put away the creep that did this for a long time. I'm also sorry the people around her weren't man/woman enough to pull her aside and say, "This isn't the best idea..." Your job is to be a parent, not a friend...

Edit: Ehh, that's probably too harsh (not knowing all of the particulars). Still, someone exhibited bad judgement here, and I have a hard time blaming a kid for it (because that's the definition of kid). Too bad other folks weren't looking out for her, too.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2014, 12:15.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2014, 23:15 Eirikrautha

Will someone please remind me next time to not click on any link taking me to Polygon? I keep clicking, based on a foolish optimism that what I read won't be shallow click-bait, designed to service the needs of their corporate masters... and I'm disappointed every single time. So, please, stop me before I click again...  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
12. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 15:36 Eirikrautha

El Pit wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:04:
GaymerX? Really? Is there any sexual/racial problem in gaming that needs to be addressed? Where is HeteRox, the political lobby group about hetero rock musicians, or AfriGame about African American gamers or... *sighs* Really, guys, there are more important groups that need every single buck to fight starvation, diseases, and the Starbuckisation of once great coffee. Well, alright, maybe the last one does not need the money.

Actually, you're missing the point. The point is that, had this been a "singles con" or somesuch, when a backer reneged on their donation, you'd have to suck up the loss and soldier on. In this case, you can call up a friend who works for a gaming magazine and accuse the company of being anti-gay (based on nothing but your anger), which means that everyone will then fall all over each other in a desperate attempt to see who can curry more favor (so as to escape the dreaded calumny of being labeled homophobic). And the money to pay your bar tab comes rolling in. It's tactical genius!

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Google Glass Jul 24, 2014, 19:52 Eirikrautha

When a nerd device loses the support of the nerd community, it's just about curtains...  

News Comments > Op Ed
62. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 21:46 Eirikrautha

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 21:16:
I guess I'm just too old and have been around the block too many times to give a damn about this "issue".

Someone once said to me that "Humans never solve any problem until it becomes an absolute crisis from which they cannot escape." That's proved true on every major social, financial, industrial, national and global problem I've seen in my life and those I've read of historically. Unless and until it directly impacts a significant amount of a total population, no effort will be made to rectify it. Specifically on this issue, I'd be generally surprised if it effected any more than 3% of the population globally and 15% of the population nationally within the US. I'm sure the national percentage will skew up or down dependent on the total volume of population within any other country.

I worked in the MMO industry for a very long time, since its birth really. I used to have a joke within the office that was adopted broadly because it was universally true about online service users. That joke was "It's not a good day on the internet until my race, sexuality, gender, and alleged promiscuity have been called in to question." Quite frankly, it was laughable to see complete strangers get worked up in to a frothing rage over things that were undeniably trivial and it was hilarious to read the creativity they'd use to try and insult me based upon the criteria mentioned above.

Looking at the article, the amount of bias is extremely evident and that bias is intentionally preserved by the disabling of comments. Partly, I am sure, to prevent those whom would call bullshit on it and refute it. I grant, however, that it is also partially to prevent the trolls from flaming for kicks.

In my time within the game industry, I worked with a lot of women. Just like their male counterparts; some were brilliant, some did their job and went home and some were horrible and didn't last long. There was zero harassment from within as it flatout wasn't tolerated. Before going in to content creation, I started on the support side as most hopefuls tend to do. In total, I would estimate that we had roughly fifty women between account, technical, and game support. Yes, undeniably, there were cretins who would harass our female employees because of their gender. Those cretins, however, made up about 1% of the total customer base. One percent. 99% of the customer base did not attack them based on their gender. The alleged "widespread harassment" as claimed by the article did not materialize within the five companies or from its customers I worked for over more than twenty years. I also understand this is anecdotal and the plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

I firmly believe that this is a case of "the lady doth protest too much".

While I was writing my post above, you posted the best support of one of my points that I could ever hope for. I don't think it's the "gaming industry's" problem, because it's not the industry doing it to them. It's the freaks and jerks in the audience that need to be condemned...

308 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo