Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 384 (Amateur)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 1, 2015, 21:41 Eirikrautha

I'm conflicted. Star Citizen is the biggest ponzi scheme since Social Security, but if Polygon stated that fire was hot I'd build a bonfire to run my refrigerator. So who in the hell do I trust in this clusterf...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
12. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 30, 2015, 15:42 Eirikrautha

SlimRam wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 15:18:
I will have the first virtual wedding there with a 12 year old boy from Vietnam that swore to me that he was a female super model.

Well, in his defense, 12 year old boys and supermodels weigh about the same...

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
4. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 30, 2015, 14:54 Eirikrautha

What the actual f**k! What is a "social module," and how does it relate to battling space fighters?  

News Comments > Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers
28. Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 29, 2015, 11:02 Eirikrautha

|RaptoR| wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 22:30:
Cutter, I work in the industry. I am well aware of the reality of things here.

Actually, that's why you have less knowledge than you think. The very worst place to be to understand how people from outside view the inside is ... inside. Being inside the industry will change your perceptions to the point where I doubt you understand the consumer very much at all. That's the great hurdle for every market, including video game production. The last person to ask about justice is the person who has just been robbed, and the last person to ask about video game consumers is the video game producer...

|RaptoR| wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:08:
The hate runs thick on Bluesnews
I think the big thing that people constantly bring up are his comments on piracy and console exclusivity. I can see that being polarizing, I guess. As an industry veteran, I have a different perspective (because it has a direct and very real financial impact to myself personally). I respect both sides, but I think that the PC gamer crowd tends to ignore statistics and work off of gut instincts... but the numbers just don't support it.

Cliffs comments on piracy carry a significant amount of truth -- "PC master race" folks are adamant about denying it, but piracy is real on the PC and it very much so makes developers think twice about targeting the PC with a traditional model. Our multiplatform games utilize back-end analytics services to help us understand play styles and habits of our users so we can understand which modes are popular and which aren't. The data is anonymous, but it does allow us to very easily see legitimately licensed copies vs pirated copies and the numbers are absolutely staggering. Consoles and mobile have an incredibly low percentage, but PC? 80%+ of connected users are not using a genuine license. We don't rely on any DRM, either.

Why do you think DLC is so universally pushed nowadays?
Why do you think that subscription based games are mostly on the PC?

These are not coincidences.

See, this proves my point. The legitimate customer doesn't care what pirates are or are not doing... because we aren't pirates. What we care about is how we are affected by companies' policies and game development trends. When a single player game requires always-on internet connection for no mechanics-related reason (see the vocalized issues with Diablo 3, Sim City, et al. on their release), it inconveniences me, the legitimate consumer. When F2P forces me to pay way more than a standalone price for a game in order to enjoy the game to its fullest, it inconveniences me, the legitimate consumer. I don't care that this is what a company wants to do to try and prevent pirates... that's your job, not mine. I want to enjoy the game, and when your policies inhibit that, you won't get my money (you aren't entitled to my money ... that's the real entitlement issue in gaming today).

When company policy hurts the legitimate consumer to benefit the company's interests (especially when, like most anti-piracy measures, it is doing so to inhibit folks who would never buy the game in the first place), consumers aren't going to like it. When, like Cliff, you then verbally poop on your consumers (the ones that made you successful in the first place), you are going to get a strong negative reaction. If you don't understand this, then you have just confirmed that you are in too deep to understand your consumers at all...

News Comments > Satellite Reign Released
17. Re: Satellite Reign Released Aug 28, 2015, 16:12 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 16:06:
Gotta admit that it looks very, very nice. Someone pick this up and play it already, then let us know.

Jaguar8's review/play video is linked above (and I trust him pretty well). Looks solid, but maybe not magnificent. I'll probably pick it up once I stop shadowrunning...

News Comments > Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers
4. Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 20:19 Eirikrautha

Yeah, 'cause what the world needs now is another F2P shooter (like I need a hole in my head)...

Apologies to Cracker...

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
156. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Aug 25, 2015, 12:05 Eirikrautha

Kxmode wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:42:
Julian Delphiki wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 08:58:
Obviously you yourself are fixated on SC, though you have a much more negative approach than most. Mr. Black Knight

#BlackKnightsMatter

OK, thread's over! Everybody out of the pool! Out!

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
24. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 11:55 Eirikrautha

Shineyguy wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 10:12:
"And through that, we’re going to subpoena and depose every single key person"

Because that's what they need; another delay to development.

Please...

Chris Roberts will be positively giddy at this. At this point, there is no endgame for him. Like any other ponzi scheme, funding yesterday with today's money, Chris Roberts has no way to bail on SC without accepting the blame. When the musical chairs money runs out, CR will be left without a chair to sit in. He'd be totally at fault.

Now, he'll get to blame the time and expense of the lawyers, etc., to weasel out of the blame for SC's crash. "See, SC would have been awesome, but {insert grumbling here}..."

Heck, this is the biggest favor that Derek Smart could have done Chris Roberts. I'm beginning to think that there is collusion between the two, because this is so perfect for CR to dodge the fallout from SC...

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Head Start Plans
12. Re: Sword Coast Legends Head Start Plans Aug 23, 2015, 10:01 Eirikrautha

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 19:19:
KS wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 18:47:
"The necromancer...with the heart of gold!"

"When I use infernal magics to yank souls back from the great beyond and bind them to dead bodies against their will and enslave them to my commands, I feel real, real bad about it!"

So .. an emomancer?

Pullquote: "You don't need to bring a sword, because he'll already cut himself!"

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2015, 13:37 Eirikrautha

But, I thought gamers were dead? That you didn't have to target a small core of gamers. That 50% of players were women. You mean all that was just... ideologically motivated propaganda and distortion? I'm shocked!  

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Released
3. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Released Aug 20, 2015, 14:32 Eirikrautha

Kxmode wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 14:28:
Never played the Shadowrun games. Are they good? I need something to hold me over until Life Is Strange Episode 5 next month.

The first one was OK (it showed the promise of the series, but was hampered by a linear story and weak narrative). The second is generally acknowledged as being better in every respect.

I'm downloading the third as I type (I've been a backer of all of them). This is one of the kickstarters that I've never regretted backing. For what it cost me, I've definitely received my money's worth.

News Comments > Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China Early Access
1. Re: Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China Early Access Aug 19, 2015, 10:50 Eirikrautha

Looks like War Thunder meets Ace Combat. Meh...  

News Comments > etc.
34. Re: etc. Aug 18, 2015, 12:58 Eirikrautha

Sepharo wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 00:26:
You already said that you don't consider sociology to be actual science so why would anyone bother engaging with you on that topic?

Huh? Where did I say that? I said that sociological studies establish correlation (things that are somehow related) as opposed to causation (this causes that). This is not only not "controversial", it is the bedrock of the entire discipline. If you don't recognize this, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about...

News Comments > etc.
31. Re: etc. Aug 18, 2015, 00:10 Eirikrautha

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 22:55:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 18:11:
You did make a claim: that poverty causes crime (since you deny that the opposite is the case). As for the idea that poverty is not a measure of character and culture, I'd like to see your evidence to the contrary. You don't have any either, so all you can do is spout YOUR propaganda. Even if I could not come up with any evidence for my claim, that does not make yours true by default (the either-or fallacy). If you believe that access to weapons causes violence, then prove it. Otherwise, you could drop an arsenal in the living room of every normal person and the crime rate would stay the same.

Now I see the problem...you simply can't understand what you read. I never claimed you were wrong, I never claimed a single thing. Asking you to support -your- claim is a wholly different thing. It is not denying your claim, it is not claiming something else, it is simply asking you to provide a basis for your statement. And since you apparently can't do this, you cover it up with bluster, strawmen, and moving the goalpost.

While I made no claims, there was definitely an implication that you were being less than intellectually honest. I apologize for that mistake. Now I think it's looking more like rabid racism (if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck), or sheer stupidity.

Whatever the case, I'm done wasting my time (and everyone else's) on you and your shortcomings.
Like all folks on the losing end of an argument, you have to ad hominem, throw around irrelevant -isms (who said anything about race except you and Beamer?), and shift the burden of proof. It's sad, really...

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: etc. Aug 17, 2015, 18:11 Eirikrautha

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 11:31:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 10:29:
Stormsinger wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 09:36:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 18:22:
Stormsinger wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 16:41:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 14:25:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 15:52:
4. Implement economic reforms so that the decades long increase in income inequality is reversed. As well, gun violence is perpetrated disproportionately by the poor and less educated.

Sadly, you have cause and effect mixed up. Poverty does not cause crime (there are large swaths of major poverty in the US alone that have little to no violent crime (property crime is a different story). People don't commit violent crimes because they are poor. Some people are violent, poor, and less educated because of who they are (they lack self-discipline, are sociopathic, lack morality, practice a defective culture, etc.). Poverty and lack of education is a symptom, just like violence. Blaming violence on guns or video games are just defense mechanisms for people who don't want to have to be judgmental about others' behaviors, cultures, or moralities. They are the easy way out.

Got any citations for actual peer-reviewed studies backing up those ideological claims?
Peer reviewed studies to support what? You got any peer reviewed studies that state handing a specific individual a gun makes that person more prone to violence?

Given the obtuseness you display to avoid answering the question, I'm getting the distinct impression that I'll be wasting my time, but here goes.

Do you have any peer reviewed studies (or -any- studies that aren't simply parroting rightwing talking points) that indicate that poverty does not cause crime, or that poverty and lack of education are symptoms of personal character defects? Because that's a damned big claim to make if it's just talking out of your ass.

As for your second point, I made no such statement. In fact, made no statement at all, remember? I simply called you on your bullshit, and want you to back it up, or admit what it is.

There is no such thing as as a study that "confirms" a negative. Do you have any peer-reviewed studies that show poverty causes violence (not is correlated with, not is associated with, but causes)? The default isn't your assumption (that poverty causes crime... that's just you talking out of your ass and misunderstanding how science works). If you want to get faux-scientific (which is what your claim is, since sociological science works in correlation, not causation) about this, prove your point with research first, that poverty causes crime.

Once again numbnuts, I made -no- claim. You did, and I wanted to know if you had -anything- to back it up. Now, given all your blustering and complete refusal/failure to provide any evidence, I think it's pretty clear that you don't. Sucks to be called on your propaganda, doesn't it?

You did make a claim: that poverty causes crime (since you deny that the opposite is the case). As for the idea that poverty is not a measure of character and culture, I'd like to see your evidence to the contrary. You don't have any either, so all you can do is spout YOUR propaganda. Even if I could not come up with any evidence for my claim, that does not make yours true by default (the either-or fallacy). If you believe that access to weapons causes violence, then prove it. Otherwise, you could drop an arsenal in the living room of every normal person and the crime rate would stay the same.

News Comments > etc.
25. Re: etc. Aug 17, 2015, 10:29 Eirikrautha

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 09:36:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 18:22:
4. Implement economic reforms so that the decades long increase in income inequality is reversed. As well, gun violence is perpetrated disproportionately by the poor and less educated.

Sadly, you have cause and effect mixed up. Poverty does not cause crime (there are large swaths of major poverty in the US alone that have little to no violent crime (property crime is a different story). People don't commit violent crimes because they are poor. Some people are violent, poor, and less educated because of who they are (they lack self-discipline, are sociopathic, lack morality, practice a defective culture, etc.). Poverty and lack of education is a symptom, just like violence. Blaming violence on guns or video games are just defense mechanisms for people who don't want to have to be judgmental about others' behaviors, cultures, or moralities. They are the easy way out.

Got any citations for actual peer-reviewed studies backing up those ideological claims?
Peer reviewed studies to support what? You got any peer reviewed studies that state handing a specific individual a gun makes that person more prone to violence?

Given the obtuseness you display to avoid answering the question, I'm getting the distinct impression that I'll be wasting my time, but here goes.

Do you have any peer reviewed studies (or -any- studies that aren't simply parroting rightwing talking points) that indicate that poverty does not cause crime, or that poverty and lack of education are symptoms of personal character defects? Because that's a damned big claim to make if it's just talking out of your ass.

As for your second point, I made no such statement. In fact, made no statement at all, remember? I simply called you on your bullshit, and want you to back it up, or admit what it is.

There is no such thing as as a study that "confirms" a negative. Do you have any peer-reviewed studies that show poverty causes violence (not is correlated with, not is associated with, but causes)? The default isn't your assumption (that poverty causes crime... that's just you talking out of your ass and misunderstanding how science works). If you want to get faux-scientific (which is what your claim is, since sociological science works in correlation, not causation) about this, prove your point with research first, that poverty causes crime.

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. Aug 16, 2015, 18:22 Eirikrautha

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Aug 16, 2015, 18:17 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 18:13:

"

It sounds an awful lot like the justification some use for their own racism, doesn't it?
Violence has nothing to do with race. The only person who has even mentioned race is you. If you are looking for racism, the nearest mirror is your best bet...

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Aug 16, 2015, 14:25 Eirikrautha

News Comments > Quote of the Day
9. Re: Quote of the Day Aug 11, 2015, 14:48 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 13:47:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 11:49:
ldonyo wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 10:35:
So he's saying they both suck, but one has more explosions?

Or he's saying Just Cause 2 was beyond terrible,

You are a blemish on humanity if you didn't like Just Cause 2. That is all.

QFT!

384 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo