Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for My user name

Real Name My user name   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Optional Nickname!
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 4, 2012, 13:47
Total Comments 331 (Amateur)
User ID 57385

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Aug 1, 2014, 01:51 Optional Nickname!

Re: Star Citizen patch 12.5

Ships still 'fly' like the Sopwith Camel in a hurricane. Can't bind keys unless you edit files.

6DOF? What's that? You're flying your spaceship wrong nOOb! Let me tell you instead how aWeSomE my flight model is!

Tactics have been reduced to ramming and spawn camping since you spawn quite near and facing an instant death laser beam and simply re-facing your ship gets you killed.

Add the looming implosion of the CryEngine HQ Mothership and you have lots of trouble ahead. Until the most fundamental of spaceship game mechanics are implemented, Star Citizen is in a holding pattern.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Jul 31, 2014, 11:04 Optional Nickname!

NKD wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 08:20:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 08:04:
Until the corrupted politicians in robes rule otherwise, the first sale doctrine still applies in the U.S of A.

I buy it, I own it. The law says so and Ben Kuchera can go fly a kite.

According to your own link, current case law in the US does NOT support first sale doctrine for software licenses per Verner v Autodesk, and EULA clauses that grant you a limited license are valid.

False. Verner v Autodesk was in the 9th circuit, not the US Supreme Court. In addition to creating a arbitrary 3 prong test, the 9th circuit failed to apply that same 3-prong test in UMG v Augusto.

I restate my accurate claim. I buy I own it.

Outside the US of A, buyer protections are even stronger.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 08:04 Optional Nickname!

Until the corrupted politicians in robes rule otherwise, the first sale doctrine still applies in the U.S of A.

I buy it, I own it. The law says so and Ben Kuchera can go fly a kite.

News Comments > Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and SecuROM
3. Re: Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and SecuROM Jul 29, 2014, 10:08 Optional Nickname!

SecuRom DRM, while 'unpopular' is very strangely over-vilified compared to the persistent and even more insidious DRM of Steam, Ubisoft, etc.

If Sony had the same level of zombie-control that Valve and Apple does, you would soon be reading posts defending SecuRom with all the shills in unison. Instead, you get the indefensible position of on-line DRM is somehow better for you than off-line DRM.

Thinking people know differently.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Livestream Today
5. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Livestream Today Jul 25, 2014, 11:04 Optional Nickname!

Necrophob wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 16:01:
The days of doing everything in a single program are over

[url=]http://totaliterritory.com/house11.jpg[/url]

I wasn't even thinking about the complexity/fidelity of the environments. Which people eagerly attempt with good visual result, such as yours.

I was thinking more along the lines of game play and mechanics that defines the UT experience: Instant response with predictable results.

It seems to me that the more complex the environment the less responsive the players actions are.

I question the logic of increasing visual fidelity while decreasing player responsiveness.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion New Frontiers Edition
2. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion New Frontiers Edition Jul 25, 2014, 10:27 Optional Nickname!

Regrettably all true, the SinS cash cow is still being obviously milked.

But this shouldn't stop people from enjoying the actual game. While the base game is fun, like most games user mods are what give it that something extra.

SinS has both Star Trek, Star Wars and RPG-ish mods that are better than any other current like-themed games. If they even exist at all.

As an aside, Picture a spectacularly large SinS battle with fighters and capital ships taking place around a developed planet. Now add peoples inside those ships. I think that's what the Star Citizen Persistent Universe is attempting, no wonder SC development is so problematic.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Livestream Today
3. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Livestream Today Jul 24, 2014, 15:31 Optional Nickname!

DangerDog wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 14:39:
Looking at a finely crafted cinematic just makes you realize that you need an Epic sum of money to make a[n] real game interactive movie with Unreal Engine.

Otherwise agreeing with you, I fixed just that.

I would argue that it would be impossible to make the Unreal we all know and love with the current Unreal engine.

Unreal ]|[ certainly didn't advance the series and Unreal Classic wasn't that expensive(?).

p.s. The Unreal franchise has done better than most at preserving fundamental gameplay mechanics.

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Jul 24, 2014, 10:19 Optional Nickname!

Julio wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 06:39:
Great movie, anything Star Trek pales in comparison.

Your enthusiasm is noted, but you understand that Galaxy Quest could not have succeeded as written if Star Trek wasn't a enduring, well loved franchise.

Not written in the article was that they initially wanted the actual cast of the original Star Trek in Galaxy Quest.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week
16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 14:37 Optional Nickname!

commonperson wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 11:05:
... the technology behind the game so far is solid enough for an Alpha. ...

The CryEngine might not be robust enough to manage multiplayer space combat as intended. For example:

When you fire your lasers you drain ship energy. This energy drain impacts your engines and speed. This ship speed reduction is not modeled correctly (at all?) in the positional prediction algorithms which keep your local client ship in sync with the remote server ship.

As you can modify your energy usage on the fly, faster than the client-server can accommodate, this results in positional mismatching and all the artifacts that brings to the client.

Can this be fixed? CryTek is having difficulties and is probably in no position to assist any more than they are.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
12. Re: Morning Screenshots Jul 18, 2014, 21:05 Optional Nickname!

D4rkKnight wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 17:06:
I fear this game is going to feel lifeless for us single player space sim fans. Procedural content is seen as such an amazing thing - the ability to mimick the size of a real universe - I would rather see a smaller hand made universe with 20-30 planets/systems then this. I think it will be a novel game for awhile, and once we are used to the mechanics it will feel like an empty shell.

I haven't played it, I'm waiting for final release, so I can't say for sure. The mechanics look impressive. I just hope that if what I say is true, someone can take the engine and do something special with it.

The original Elite had a very empty feel to it by design. You didn't go to systems for the scenery, you went to check out the buy/sell prices of goods.

This happened as soon as you warped ('witch-drove'?) into any system. There was little else to do...scoop witch-fuel from the star, blast rocks into ore and scoop them up as well. You also land on the station and of course, shoot at pirates.

I think 1,000 kills was Elite rank and the 9th galaxy map was the hidden one. That was the 'goal'.

Part of the fun of Elite was you had no way to find out the buy/sell prices of a system unless you went to that system. Only then could you determine profits and safety. Very simple.

News Comments > GRID Autosport Boost Pack Released, Because "It Sells"
4. Re: GRID Autosport Boost Pack Released, Because Jul 16, 2014, 20:05 Optional Nickname!

You're smart and concise and easy to read. You should post more often.  

News Comments > New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns?
17. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 17:35 Optional Nickname!

While Star Citizen is progressing, the CryEngine's fundamental incompatibility with 'space ships' is creating some very difficult problems with very inelegant current solutions.

Having the people inside a starship possibly having to be on a different instance/server than the starship they are flying in due to syncing issues, is just one of them.

Look at the effort it is taking just to go from x86 to x64 in this custom CryEngine. Even with optimizations, SC multiplayer as envisioned might not be possible.

News Comments > MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; "New Concepts" Coming
5. Re: MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; Jul 9, 2014, 19:17 Optional Nickname!

jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 18:49:
Maybe someone is going to make a modern version of it at some point? Like FS11?

To create what we would expect to be 'FS11' would have to have accurate terrain mapping of the entire surface of the planet with accurate real time weather information.

The terrain maps would have to be < +/- 10 feet vertical with elevation points taken less than every 100 feet from each other and with scenery and objects as close to photo-real as possible.

Google maps has been attempting this goal for years (against growing resistance) and so have the world's numerous Military and Intelligence institutions.

In short, FS11 would actually be a 'real' Terrestrial Flight Simulator as FS10 already comes very close.

News Comments > Grim Fandango HD Remake Coming to PCs
1. Re: Grim Fandango HD Remake Coming to PCs Jul 9, 2014, 19:01 Optional Nickname!

Grim Fandango can not be improved upon.  

News Comments > Project Eternity Backer Beta Next Month
2. Re: Project Eternity Backer Beta Next Month Jul 9, 2014, 19:00 Optional Nickname!

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 18:47:
D:OS taught me one thing... never again a beta for an RPG It spoils so much...

While your point is valid, you can beta the UI and other elements in non story-line areas such as the lobby, during character creation, inventory management and NPC management in the initial areas.

Also, since this is using the Unity engine..certain technical aspects need to be checked for basic compatibility and performance such as audio and micro-stuttering and hitching.

I'll be happy to test Pillars of Eternity for you eRe4s3r.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil
34. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil Jul 5, 2014, 23:25 Optional Nickname!

It surely does...and this you tube video shows the combat to be exactly like ToEE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlQJTIajNI

But the GOG trailer doesn't show the action point style in action at all...however, if you look very closely in the GOG trailer you can see the greyed out action points just above the tool bar!

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil
24. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil Jul 5, 2014, 17:26 Optional Nickname!

GOG reports it as 'coming soon'.

Also, the fact that it is turn based, but the screenshots heavily imply otherwise is curious. Only that it is in the turn-based games category lets you know what type of game it is.

Especially when the first Divine Divinity isn't turn based and you are just as likely not to search GOG for turn-based but instead by the title or other category.

News Comments > Free Peggle on Origin
5. Re: Free Peggle on Origin Jun 18, 2014, 08:42 Optional Nickname!

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 22:12:
Peggle is awesome...so where the fuck is peggle 2?

Peggle 2 was released on Dec 9, 2013 for xbox one. Then recently made available for xbox360 on May 14, 2014.

Reviews are generally positive.

HTFH.

News Comments > New Deus Ex Details?
16. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 14:31 Optional Nickname!

"Are you referring to Deus Ex: The Fall..."

No, I am referring to the HR Director's Cut, which does have these specific game elements (which I implied it doesn't at all) and you are correct to mention that.

My complaint is how wonky and incomplete the UI feels. Especially inventory management, which creates un-necessary chores in moving (click-to-rotate) items and slotting them to your action bar.

Click-dragging implies selecting multiple items with the mouse which probably isn't that important overall, but there is also something about the mouse scroll wheel or unassignable buttons that seemed needlessly restrictive.

Why all of that would even matter in the discussion for this new Title is that the original Deus Ex handled these UI items very well and every title since then has been off.

Since it is trivial to accommodate a mouse and keyboard correctly, even with a console designed game, you can't be too optimistic about the rest.

p.s. The soundtrack continues to surprise me and it is faithful to the Deus Ex experience, I just expect more from the 'Director's Cut'

News Comments > New Deus Ex Details?
4. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 10:23 Optional Nickname!

The uber DeusEx:HR Director's Cut version for PC, while interesting and very Deus Ex'y, regrettably plays like the console port it is with all of the horrible console afflictions the poster above me mentioned.

Overly clicky, finicky UI. Repetitive textures, economized designed choices (low polys, large empty spaces, etc., cut and paste quests). Consolitis also prevents click-dragging or proper key-rebinding.

To hear it, the sequel to DE:HR was even worse. I can't possibly imagine that this latest iteration will reverse that trend. In fact, if they are aiming for the Mass Effect...effect, then that pretty much guarantees another unsophisticated, ignorable end product.

331 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo