Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for My user name

Real Name My user name   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Optional Nickname!
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 4, 2012, 13:47
Total Comments 286 (Amateur)
User ID 57385

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Apr 16, 2014, 22:42 Optional Nickname!

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 18:34:
... Academy had has the best saber combat with dual sabers and saber staff...

FTFY as Jedi Academy, even with the Quake III engine, has no competition. An irony is how well OpenGL has aged, performance and image quality can hardly improve on current hardware.

An HD Jedi remake must perform as well as the current, entirely playable series. FPS must be stable, positional audio must be accurate, no input lag, etc. etc.

Too bad it can't be Kickstarted, it would be very popular.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth Details
8. Re: Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth Details Apr 13, 2014, 17:01 Optional Nickname!

Fion wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 16:25:
Why not Civ V? With expansions, Civ V is one of the best games ever made.

This, is absolutely not the case.

Even with expansions and even with brilliant mods that add back in the most basic of Civ-style features (no-more-civilian-traffic-jams, Civ IV diplomacy) or mods that add RPG style non-Civ elements in a fun and unexpected way (The Heroes of Starcraft for example) Civ V is barely passable for a Civ game.

Slow turns, deficient AI, lack of depth, horrible tech balance, un-listenable soundtrack, DX11 wonkiness (hello grey-tiles) add in SteamDRM and you have a game that should not be the basis for Civ 6.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed?
15. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed? Apr 12, 2014, 16:30 Optional Nickname!

Sacrifice wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 12:36:
I'd like to see a civilization game that is set on another planet with completely random and unique civilizations that are not based on anything on earth. Perhaps that is where this is going?

Deadlock I and II

You're welcome.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
56. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 11, 2014, 22:35 Optional Nickname!

Also, 'real money' ships will tend to also be in guilds, fleets, etc.

The largest ships will not be stored in hangars, they will be in open space active 24/7. So that will be an always available target. However as fleet sizes are server limited it might be difficult to take out the largest ships with equal sized fleets.

We shall see soon enough?

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained Revealed
16. Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained Revealed Apr 11, 2014, 07:29 Optional Nickname!

harlock wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 02:38:
this moba shit is garbage imho

One of the weaknesses of Warcraft/Starcraft style MOBA maps is the very nature of the victory conditions: Destroy the hard to destroy base.

The 'fun' of the map is gone as soon as the battle lines shift to that base since it is almost impossible to recover that lost and vital middle ground.

Generally you have MOBA lobbies filled with a ready-to-go teams against ad-hoc teams whose members disconnect long before the 'end' of the map as a long and drawn out defeat is no game at all. (re: Maginot line)

MOBA's are the Bizzaro world equivalent to Supreme Commander's fluid and non-game ending shifting battle lines.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
16. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 13:44 Optional Nickname!

yonder wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 11:55:
Sure, the only person who commented on both seems to be Rigs (I really didn't bother doing a full comparison) who *IS* consistent. But still... where are all the GalCiv3 naysayers here?

You raise a good point, and as I meet your conditions as complainant I am qualified to respond:

1) Different initial funding conditions for GC and Elite. One was Kickstarted with optional pricing tiers, one more traditionally.

2) Different products. They might both be computer games, but GC3 is (based on today's date) just a slight refresh to the still playable GC2 which is completely adequate for the genre. Elite-like games are hard to find. (re: StarCitizen)

3) Different expectations. GC3 is almost guaranteed while Elite needed the funds.

Lastly, I also think the amount asked for beta testing Elite is too much (it was 50GBP on Kickstarter) so I'll pass. That won't stop me from picking up a non-Steam DRM-free retail copy of Elite, while GC3 having SteamworksDRM, will probably result in a non-sale.

News Comments > GeForce Beta Drivers
17. Re: GeForce Beta Drivers Apr 7, 2014, 16:09 Optional Nickname!

FYI: These stated performance increases, with their seemingly large gains are historically measuring gains in the smallest FPS measurement which is typically the MIN FPS score. Not the average FPS, nor the MAX FPS score.

Expressing the score this way, as a percentage gain in MIN FPS, rather than a more familiar numerical FPS gain tends to be more dramatic and mathematically impactful. Do the math yourself, just for fun.

However any gains in MIN FPS, everything else being equal, is always welcome.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans
36. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Mar 31, 2014, 23:39 Optional Nickname!

Slinkycatz wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 21:46:
For every ignorant and unresearched comment in this thread, Star Citizen suddenly receives a massive influx of money. Keep it up, guys! You're doing great work!

As a backer, I get more Star Citizen updates than I can read. Not to mention also missing out on some of the more interesting polls. Such as the recent pick the ship design to vote back-on-the-island poll, of which those 'last-place' designs were appealing and functional as were the designer's presentations. Last place for Star Citizen is better than most people's best efforts.

The level of buyer participation and developer-to-buyer communication is probably the highest, most world-wide and technologically advanced of any game (or software product) to date.

Will the Cry-Engine sustain Star Citizen's quasi-MMORPG is a real game-impacting issue. Funding and participation and spending, is not.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Early Access
7. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Early Access Mar 27, 2014, 21:00 Optional Nickname!

FTFA: "Best-in-class AI – 64-bit game engine allows incredibly complex artificial intelligence routines, which grow smarter over time as the AI learns from every game it plays"

Ignoring the absurd price and who you are renting GCIII from, this specific game-feature claim certainly needs further detail. Global game-data persistence? Self-weighting variables? GC2 AI was and is capable using simple routines!

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Trailer
20. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Trailer Mar 25, 2014, 13:11 Optional Nickname!

NKD wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 08:44:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 05:37:
Stardock's premier IP, SteamDRM'ed. Just what the series needs!

As opposed to being ImpulseDRM'd like the previous title?

You obviously know the difference between SteamDRM and Impulse, yet you snark anyway.

Impulse was a one-time serial number activation. That was all. Offline ever-after if desired. SteamDRM isn't and never will be until Valve goes shall we say, belly up...like Impulse did.

"If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction. "

Good advice! Amazing how appropriate it is to this specific discussion as well.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Trailer
9. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Trailer Mar 25, 2014, 05:37 Optional Nickname!

Stardock's premier IP, SteamDRM'ed. Just what the series needs!  

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party
18. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party Mar 24, 2014, 11:45 Optional Nickname!

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 11:36:
How did you all do it?

As mentioned here, you can ignore D3 and try Path of Exile. PoE is on-line only, a deal-breaker for single-player. It is free so you aren't out much.

PoE is probably more similar to Titan Quest than Diablo, which isn't such a bad thing. Easy sign up, no CC-req'd and a 5Gig download.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls New Skill Videos
22. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls New Skill Videos Mar 20, 2014, 16:33 Optional Nickname!

Axis wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 15:51:
So your excessive "glowing positives" in every D3 thread should be considered normal, while my "reality check" in a few are the ones remembered.

I'll take that.

Like you, I consider D3 to be an absurd total failure for reasons real and imagined.

The D3 'optimists' are hoping that their optimism will effect positive change in D3, perhaps making the game into what D3 should have been.

None of you substantially disagree on D3's reception but you do disagree on its potential final state. Some think it will never work, some do. That is a debatable topic.

What the optimists should remember is that calling D3 out as a failure is partly what effected positive change. Lambasting the RMAH, refusing to accept on-line always, bemoaning the impotent loot-drops and the uninspiring skill-tree were and still are necessary topics for the gamer to gently remind the developers that they are writing a game and not some slightly fraudulent financial microcosm.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II: Hannibal at the Gates Announced
21. Re: Total War: ROME II: Hannibal at the Gates Announced Mar 14, 2014, 22:03 Optional Nickname!

Task wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 14:44:
It is a total fact that RTW2 siege AI is a huge step backwards, probably the worse ever in the entire series.

I find the Shogun II siege AI and the AI in general of Shogun II to be very playable, even enjoyable. Melee fighting, using torches to open gates, and scaling the walls all seem to function as expected in siege.

RomeII can take a pass as combat is essential (though optional) in the TW series.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released
11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 21:55 Optional Nickname!

So far, this new Elite looks way better than Mostly Harmless.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015
23. Re: The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015 Mar 11, 2014, 20:50 Optional Nickname!

harlock wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 17:56:
ive still got a 560ti.. i use a 40" lcd thats limited to 1360x768 resolution.. so its still ok most of the time, when i turn off AA (which i always do cuz i dont like it)

but its 1GB vram and its starting to feel like thats not enough.. especially looking at games coming out this year and the next

i was planning on going for a nice 4gb card when the prices came down, maybe one of the higher end 20nm maxwell cards.. or maybe amd r9 if they get cheap enough.. im not sure right now

The Image Quality and FPS differences between a 560ti (448 assumed) and a 770GTX are readily noticeable at almost any resolution, but mostly with FSAA applied, the more the better.

You could wait until the superior 770GTXs meet your price point, but until then experiment with various FSAA levels including transparent texture FSAA, super-sampling and full anisotropic filtering. Even with a 560ti, the image quality improvements of FSAA are universally appreciated, The Witcher included.

What's not to like about FSAA? The focus of the video card gamer market is mostly about FPS stable FSAA!

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
1. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 10, 2014, 19:57 Optional Nickname!

Many parts of Star Citizen are out-sourced. The "boarding-party-combat-module" is being developed by Quebec's Behaviour Interactive, a somewhat prolific independent developer.

News Comments > Space Run Announced
1. Re: Space Run Announced Feb 28, 2014, 20:20 Optional Nickname!

If Space Run gets released with just a half of the play-action pizazz that it seems to have, it will be twice as good as GSB ever hoped to be.

Also, if you have a Kongregate account, try Enigmata: Stellar War for a flash-based idea of what Space Run might be like.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support
1. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 09:22 Optional Nickname!

FTA: KNOWN ISSUE – You may be able to get a better picture by setting the resolution to the native Oculus Rift resolution (1280×800)

Virtual reality, in its current, past and near future forms, is laughable and a distraction.

News Comments > Minecraft Movie Plans
6. Re: Minecraft Movie Plans Feb 28, 2014, 09:17 Optional Nickname!

There have been over 100 films, feature length or otherwise, based on video games. This news is neither surprising or unexpected.

Before you check out the link of which games have been so treated, answer this: Has Warcraft been made into a feature film?

Video game films (Wiki)

286 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo