Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for My user name

Real Name My user name   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Optional Nickname!
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 4, 2012, 13:47
Total Comments 347 (Amateur)
User ID 57385

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Video; Funding to be Deemphasized
39. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Video; Funding to be Deemphasized Aug 21, 2014, 10:53 Optional Nickname!

Here's something new to consider, since most of the SC old complaints are specious and/or ill-informed.

After the recent release of the Constellation variants...(for those that aren't aware, the Constellation has disappeared and has now become 4 different ships) I realized that every ship will be obsoleted by design each year.

So if you have the year 2,699 Constellation Phoenix (top of the line Constellation) you might think you have the 'best' Constellation. However in game year 2,700 there will be another Constellation, with new whiz bang year 2,700 equipment. Then game year 2,701 and a new model...and a new potential sale.

This will happen with every ship. As game years progress initial ships will be inferior to late offerings and this will be a source of income for SC for real-life years. This obvious topic is strangely not discussed much in the SC forums. There seems to be little forward-thinking.

Also, interior customization has become a growing demand. Again, focusing on the haphazard layout of the $400 Phoenix many buyers and potential buyers are wondering why full customization isn't being offered, let alone considered.

I think that there will be a larger than anticipated market for internal customizations and that SC should focus on a la carte offerings.

Lastly, the amount of sock-puppetry and targeted trolling in SC forums is comically amateurish. You would think the powers that be would have better things to do than cranking up ex-WoW players.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha
15. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 11:10 Optional Nickname!

Droniac wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 10:14:
Reckless wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 19:04:
UT is from a bygone era and should be left as such.

Ah yes, the bygone era of competently executed shooters. Much better to stay mired in today's muck of total inferiority.

After playing the tech demo for just a minute or so, I'm inclined to agree that UT can not be revived.

UT4, upon playing immediately invokes the atmosphere and play style of UT3. Over sized weapons, over sized armor, inferior play mechanics and simplistic effects over-wrought with sizzle.

The good news is, it installed easily and worked instantly. So you can easily try it out.

My initial immediate impression is that UT4 will look and play like UT3 with different, more vivid maps and environments, but with inferior bots and play action.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins
26. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 19:55 Optional Nickname!

peteham wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 11:02:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 08:10:
I'm curious as to why they felt the need to involve Steam first and why they felt the need to leave GOG out of this beta.
From a past update:
We will be releasing the Backer Beta on Steam only. The reason for this is because Steam makes the process of uploading new builds much easier than other platforms. This will allow us to put out updated versions of the game more quickly than we could otherwise. The main game will still be available on all previously promised options (Steam, GOG, etc.)

Thanks for that info, reasonable enough for them, maybe. I certainly didn't agree to beta test them via Steam when I Kickstarted, quite the opposite!

Go Galaxy! GO GOG GO!

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins
16. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 08:10 Optional Nickname!

No SteamDRM was one of the selling points of crowd funding this project.

I'm curious as to why they felt the need to involve Steam first and why they felt the need to leave GOG out of this beta.

From the Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter:

"We now proudly support both GOG and Steam, so if you prefer DRM-free, you can choose the GOG option, and if you like Steam's integration, including achievements, and possibly cloud saves, you'll be able to choose that as well."

Otherwise, yay!?!

News Comments > BOID Announced
5. Re: BOID Announced Aug 17, 2014, 19:56 Optional Nickname!

Tjold wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 15:06:
I kind of wish we could bury all these fucking MOBAs underneath a landfill in New Mexico.

Why, so we can enjoy their ironic unearthing 30 years from now?

No, as paid WoW subscriptions fall be happy that MOBA f2p registrations are rising.

You don't want a lot of ex-Wow players with precious little to do. Governments topple from less.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial
32. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 17:26 Optional Nickname!

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 16:36:
As an original backer and golden ticket holder I am more than happy with how the game is progressing.

I too am happy with the uneven progress!

While the flight computer does not interest me one bit with its 'Galactic Traction Control' and Safe-T-1st Cruise Control (I'll pitch, roll and yaw my ship any way I damn well please, thank you very much), the level of detail and presentation in the ships is already approaching photo-realism.

The Arena, with its different game modes and different victory conditions could approach Unreal Tournament-esque variety and functionality if all goes well engine wise.

The added spectacle of Chris Roberts's showmanship combined with the unreadably numerous updates on all possible things Star Citizen might make you reconsider wanting to know how a game is made, but it certainly has been a game in itself for nearly two years.

Lastly, there has been large-scale organized trolling going on and Star Citizen (among other places) has been targeted. Which is not only un-surprising but un-necessary as the Crytek engine might have the biggest troll-face yet!

News Comments > Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial
1. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 11:56 Optional Nickname!

The Constellation variants are exciting in themselves, there are now 4 Constellation models, with the original Constellation now called the Andromeda with similar specs and numerous hardpoints. It looks very nice.

The base Constellation is called Taurus. It is slower but has more cargo space. Then comes the more lightly armed science-based Aquila version with its heavy ground transport and scanning suite. Then the fancy-pants Phoenix with its faster engines, stronger reactor, light ground transport and missile defense hardpoint and upgraded fighter. Disco ball naturally included along with space-ready fondue pots.

The price tags are silly. But original backers catch a small break as you can buy the Taurus as an add-on ship for $150. The Phoenix game package is $400 (without LTI) but is a $125 upgrade for backers.

Add new hangars, two new modes (Capture the Flag/Core and Racing) and with assignable keys next on the list we might actually be able to fly one of these lovely ships that have been until now gathering space dust.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Beta Underway
5. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Beta Underway Aug 14, 2014, 11:17 Optional Nickname!

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 10:49:
Let's hope this is more than a paint the stars your color game.... gods we had enough of those by now....

Adding certain victory conditions, such as ascendancy and technological victory minimize the Galactic Van Gogh Effect™ which you describe.

It's the exponential micro-management in the late middle game, you know after that 2nd expansion phase when you have colonized all of those average to marginal outlying systems and you have to fine-tune each one since they aren't quite self-sustaining yet...

Planetary Governors actually work, I'd be tempted to join the beta just so I could recommend more robust, more sophisticated, planetary build automation.

Luckily the ship-building portion looks sufficiently modern, as do the planets themselves. You have to play GCII with the high-res graphics mods to get the modern 4x look.

Lastly, those GCII tech descriptions... need I say more? Best not.

News Comments > Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander
12. Re: Capture Added to Star Citizen Arena Commander Aug 10, 2014, 16:27 Optional Nickname!

Eirikrautha scribbled: "Sorry, but adding modes to the arena does not seem to be moving this game closer to the very long list of goals that it has..."

As a semi-observant SC backer, I was surprised at the addition of a CTF play-mode. Pleasantly surprised, as I think it's a great idea.

That the cart is still well in front of the horse is also duly noted. But any module or part of module released into production is now makes SC that much closer to 'retail'.

FWIW, before I posted this, I read your posting history. You write readable english enjoyably well for someone who's primary language is bookwyrm.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 8, 2014, 23:16 Optional Nickname!

Crytek employing up to 950 people worldwide surprised me and it's not often you hear of such good things in the gaming 'biz'.

Who thinks the mysterious investor will be: Gabe Newell, a champion korean e-gamer or EA?

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Access Expands
27. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Access Expands Aug 8, 2014, 15:34 Optional Nickname!

InBlack wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 06:27:
Star Citizen is Squadron42

Based on what I know, and suspect, Squadron 42 will be fantastic and worthy of being called a Wing Commander sequel.

The persistent universe however will assuredly be problematic and luckily for you, mostly ignorable, like the naysayers and yesmen!

News Comments > Wing Commander 3 Free on Origin
23. Re: Wing Commander 3 Free on Origin Aug 5, 2014, 21:51 Optional Nickname!

Quinn wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 18:14:
EA is giving away games for free. Shut up. FTFY

Otherwise agreeing with you in some way, and realizing you are a humorous and veteran poster you shouldn't come across as so dismissive of legitimate anti Steam/Uplay/Origin concerns.

Wing Commander Saga is free, arguably as fun as Wing Commander 3, and doesn't have Origin, oh snap. Shut Up!

News Comments > Star Citizen in Depth
25. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 15:16 Optional Nickname!

Flatline already answered this, and nobody really knows the details regarding insurance, as it will be an on-going issue in the PU, but here's something: to get a ship right now with LTI you have to buy the Fleet Pack for $2,700.

Even the $1,150 Battle Pack only has 12 months of insurance.

I've heard the rumors of LTI hulls selling for way over sticker price and I am tempted to see if it's true. The demand for LTI is very high, even though it might just ultimately be a small, but measurable, bonus.

News Comments > Star Citizen in Depth
5. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 10:17 Optional Nickname!

Julio wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 10:02:
I wonder if the guys who don't buy in for the $1000 and up ships will be target practice.

Wonder no more, for here is an answer!

There is only one '$1000' ship class and very few of them. The Idris Frigate (née corvette). Yes it is a powerful ship compared to the next ship class the constellation with twice as much hull, twice as many weapons and twice the crew (and twice the fighter compliment) However...

The Idris Frigate will not be able to hangar itself. It will be in the universe 24/7 unlike other ships which can effectively disappear.

Also, that large crew compliment of up to 10 people will be tricky to maintain. Granted you can use NPCs but we can assume NPCs won't be as good as real pilots.

I suspect the Idris Frigates will be choice targets. And while they would be great in fleet battles, as a sole ship against a task force of just a few ships, they would have a hard time escaping.

So the next battle for an Idris would be its last!

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added
47. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 22:05 Optional Nickname!

The current flying in Star Citizen is very peculiar.

It is as if all the flight modes you have used before, including the established Wing Commander ones have been purposely left out.

Because, reasons.

Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, The Real Star Citizen

News Comments > Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Announced
4. Re: Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Announced Aug 1, 2014, 12:25 Optional Nickname!

Path of Exile's previous expansion: Sacrifice of the Vaal was underwhelming and confusing.

Most of the Vaal items the exp added had at least one undesirable attribute or restriction, or it seemed that way as I was unwilling to experiment with otherwise good gear for dubious benefit.

I hope this expansion pack adds additional play modes, as PoE becomes tedious and gear micromanagement isn't as rewarding as it could be.

But that skill tree is really something, it's like the love child of the Voynich Manuscript and a Subway Map.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Aug 1, 2014, 01:51 Optional Nickname!

Re: Star Citizen patch 12.5

Ships still 'fly' like the Sopwith Camel in a hurricane. Can't bind keys unless you edit files.

6DOF? What's that? You're flying your spaceship wrong nOOb! Let me tell you instead how aWeSomE my flight model is!

Tactics have been reduced to ramming and spawn camping since you spawn quite near and facing an instant death laser beam and simply re-facing your ship gets you killed.

Add the looming implosion of the CryEngine HQ Mothership and you have lots of trouble ahead. Until the most fundamental of spaceship game mechanics are implemented, Star Citizen is in a holding pattern.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Jul 31, 2014, 11:04 Optional Nickname!

NKD wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 08:20:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 08:04:
Until the corrupted politicians in robes rule otherwise, the first sale doctrine still applies in the U.S of A.

I buy it, I own it. The law says so and Ben Kuchera can go fly a kite.

According to your own link, current case law in the US does NOT support first sale doctrine for software licenses per Verner v Autodesk, and EULA clauses that grant you a limited license are valid.

False. Verner v Autodesk was in the 9th circuit, not the US Supreme Court. In addition to creating a arbitrary 3 prong test, the 9th circuit failed to apply that same 3-prong test in UMG v Augusto.

I restate my accurate claim. I buy I own it.

Outside the US of A, buyer protections are even stronger.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 08:04 Optional Nickname!

Until the corrupted politicians in robes rule otherwise, the first sale doctrine still applies in the U.S of A.

I buy it, I own it. The law says so and Ben Kuchera can go fly a kite.

News Comments > Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and SecuROM
3. Re: Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and SecuROM Jul 29, 2014, 10:08 Optional Nickname!

SecuRom DRM, while 'unpopular' is very strangely over-vilified compared to the persistent and even more insidious DRM of Steam, Ubisoft, etc.

If Sony had the same level of zombie-control that Valve and Apple does, you would soon be reading posts defending SecuRom with all the shills in unison. Instead, you get the indefensible position of on-line DRM is somehow better for you than off-line DRM.

Thinking people know differently.

347 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo