Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric Phillips

Real Name Eric Phillips   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrSquick
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 29, 2012, 18:44
Total Comments 129 (Novice)
User ID 57381

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Warcraft Expansion Reveal Next Week
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 18:56 DrSquick

The soul of The Lich King has won over Bolvar Fordragon and he's back... He has resurrected Illidan, C'thun, Kil'jaeden.

And he has a new lieutenant that is hinted to, but not revealed until the final content update of the expansion - Tirion Fordring. When he picked up the Lich King's helm on the ice crown enough of Ner'zhul's corruption got into him to turn him many years later.

Yep... That would be amazing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2015, 15:42 DrSquick

jdreyer wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 14:14:
Apple To Axe Major Component In iPhone 7.

The walled garden?

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

SIM cards if anyone wants to avoid the click bait title. It will be a hard wired internal SIM card so you can't change carriers.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Preorders
4. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of the Storm Preorders Jun 17, 2015, 10:23 DrSquick

This is the addon that they worked with Blizzard on right? Just like Mojang had the Scrolls cardgame based on Elder Scrolls?

/stirs pot

News Comments > NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features
9. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 10:48 DrSquick

Has anyone here ever seen a GSync monitor in person? I personally never notice tearing, and even in that video, it doesn't jump out at me or bother me.

I'm guessing this might be one of those things you need to see in person to understand it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2015, 19:02 DrSquick

Blue wrote on May 12, 2015, 09:42:
Quinn wrote on May 12, 2015, 09:34:
Hold the power button + home button for a couple of seconds. No result? Keep trying for a few times. Worked like a charm for my father last week, same issue.

Thank you *very* much. I could kiss you.

That was the only version of pressing and holding various buttons I failed to try. Phone came back like a champ, and only had 28% battery remaining (it never gets that low how I use it), but it seems none the worse for wear.

This is awesome! This is how a super popular website author gets his tech support. "So, hypothetical, but highly urgent issue... Has anyone heard of something called CryptoLocker?" {Hordes of Blue fans yelling to turn off your computer}

On a similar note, I had the exact same thing happen to my Surface Pro. I was in the middle of using it and it hard powered off. It was plugged in and battery at full. Nothing I was doing fixed anything. The fix was to press and hold the volume down button and the power button for THIRTY SECONDS! I thought the article was hooey, because I tried that combo for the usual 3-5 seconds. But sure enough - 30 seconds later, it comes back online. The BIOS clock was reset, so it must have been some sort of equivalent to removing your BIOS battery on a desktop.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 5, 2015, 20:57 DrSquick

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 4, 2015, 19:00:
It was probably a personal project he used to teach himself some programming techniques.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Well that's a heck of an accomplishment then!

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 4, 2015, 15:53 DrSquick

I don't get the TrueCraft thing... If he likes Minecraft 1.7.3, then why not just download and use Minecraft 1.7.3? This feels like someone saying, "I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and don't like Windows 8; so instead of reinstalling Windows 7 I decided to reverse engineer Windows and rebuild it from scratch.  

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained Beta 2
3. Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained Beta 2 Apr 20, 2015, 14:38 DrSquick

Slashman wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 09:58:
Thanks screwing up the Orcs Must Die! franchise with this F2P nonsense that no one asked for.

It's definitely not as fun as the endless horde mode of the previous games, but I think it is similar enough that if you enjoyed the first game you will probably enjoy this too.

With that said, it is definitely a MOBA. Players have either an attacker or defender role, and the defender is the one that places the traps, which act the same as the previous games. You need a ridiculous amount of ingame currency to buy new traps though. You would need about 10 days of playing regularly to unlock one top-tier trap.

I played the first one for about 250 hours, and absolutely loved the co-op modes. I've put a couple hours into this one and probably won't put more than a couple more; but I just don't like the MOBA game format.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
26. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2015, 17:57 DrSquick

Those are some good memories Blue, thanks for keeping an archive like that! This is the oldest website I can recall regularly going to, and it is still the first thing on my bookmark bar!

Speaking of Voodoos... I won a Voodoo 3500 (the one with the TV tuner) at a Quake 3 Arena LAN party. That was the height of my lifetime achievements, and it's been all downhill since then.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous on Steam
9. Re: Elite: Dangerous on Steam Apr 2, 2015, 19:56 DrSquick

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 19:28:
Grokk wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 19:01:
I'm half kinda waiting for the rift or another similar VR device to go retail before picking this up.

Was hoping for the full VR package on this one.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. Also, this is one of those games where the longer you wait, the better the experience will be.

FYI I got to borrow an Occulus DK2 to play Elite Dangerous with after playing on a 130" projection screen for a month or so, and even though I was VERY anti-rift before, it definitely won me over. I still think all the Rift demos that I played are awful. But the one to one matching of head movement, combined with the much larger field of view, is a completely different gaming experience.

Much needs to be improved through. Text is absolutely unreadable in the game through the Rift, and the resolution is just too low for such a wide field of view. But I was blown away by the experience. Just simple things like the game renders your joystick if it is one of the most popular ones. So you move your head down and to the right, and you see your virtual arm, exactly where your real-life arm is, and you see your hand on the joystick. When you press the "deploy hardpoints" button, your in-game thumb reaches up and touches that button. Then you move your head to the left and your other virtual hand is laying on the exact same throttle you are holding.

Give it just a few more years, and this will be a big game changer in gaming. If they can fix the resolution/blurriness issues and make it razor sharp, it will be a 100% buy at almost any price for me. It almost instantly became second nature for me to move my head way up and back when dog fighting to find where my enemy went; it was amazing.

At this point though I would NOT recommend anyone get the DK2 to play Elite Dangerous with solely. The text truly is unreadable, even with massive XML editing to change the color. That was very immersion-breaking for me struggle so badly to read what someone was telling me. Are they saying "carry on, you are clear" or are they saying, "I'm about to blow you into bits?"

News Comments > Morning Interviews
11. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 26, 2015, 10:50 DrSquick

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 10:15:
Valve's 'perfect hiring' hierarchy has 'hidden management' clique like high school

The only reason Valve succeeds is GabeN had the foresight to introduce a digital distribution platform first. If there were any real competition to Steam today it'd be a very different story. Valve is a terrible company IMO regardless of how much they make. And unfortunately their anti-consumerist policies are in lockstep with the big pubs who won't sell their games anywhere else. Going forward with any future crowdfunding it should be a requirement - set by consumers - that they obtain their end product either portal free entirely - direct DL from the dev - or on a good service like GoG.

You know what I've been thinking about lately? How did Steam make the first move, because there were so many others that could have done it first. For example, do you remember Gamespy? Before it was a crappy website, it was essentially the only multiplayer server finder. Can you imagine if they had the foresight to start offering games for sale digitally? It would have been a natural fit - I already use Gamespy every day to find servers to play on for these 30 games, why don't I just buy my game here too.

News Comments > Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed
11. Re: Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed Mar 11, 2015, 19:42 DrSquick

Alamar wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 17:50:
The snippet Blue posted is neat, but there's so much more info in the link, and I likey... I know I'll anger some Bluesnewsians, but, I would totally pre-order and EA this title ; )

DrSquick wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 15:55:
I have a silly question - Minecraft with mods was one of my favorite games of all time. I really enjoyed Starbound, but I am totally lost in Terraria!

I see pictures of people with automated things, pools of honey to heal them, and every time I try to play I get stuck building some houses for the villagers and then don't know what to do next. Does anyone have any idea of what the next goals are supposed to be, or any good video tutorial series on it?

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Terraria_Wiki has a list of areas with suggested order... If you want more, structured, help, there are plenty of video's... I haven't looked in years, but even then, it wasn't hard to find some intro or progression vids... A lot of the stuff you seem interested in is, not surprisingly, late game, so expect it to take some time.

Thanks! I'm sure I would absolutely love it when I get into it. I have spent thousands of hours on Minecraft with tons of mods making incredibly complex industrial supply paths and Rube Goldberg machines, so I'm sure I will love it. Thanks for the links!

News Comments > Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed
8. Re: Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed Mar 11, 2015, 15:55 DrSquick

I have a silly question - Minecraft with mods was one of my favorite games of all time. I really enjoyed Starbound, but I am totally lost in Terraria!

I see pictures of people with automated things, pools of honey to heal them, and every time I try to play I get stuck building some houses for the villagers and then don't know what to do next. Does anyone have any idea of what the next goals are supposed to be, or any good video tutorial series on it?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines Mar 10, 2015, 21:33 DrSquick

jdreyer wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 21:15:
Slashman wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 20:24:
Word is the max size area you can build is 36 km. This is versus the hefty 2km limit of EA's Sim City. Don't you just love EA and Maxis?
Hey, hey, hey now. Sim City was intentionally designed to be small because it's a multiplayer game and you need to interact/compete with your neighbors. That was intentional...intentionally bad.

I agree, but can you imagine how good an MMO SimCity without griefers would be? Obviously a total impossibility - but imagine Simcity 4's individual cities interacting with each other over real time with all your friends. Lots of problems with a game like that, but that could be amazing.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2015, 10:40 DrSquick

Shineyguy wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 10:39:
Did Blue just Groundhog Day us?

Oh yeah, been an ongoing joke for the past 15 years. It still catches me off guard every year, and I love it.

News Comments > 8bitMMO Launches
9. Re: 8bitMMO Launches Jan 28, 2015, 15:13 DrSquick

Axis wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 15:50:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 10:57:
If they can find an audience, more power too them. Content and features don't look that intriguing though. If I have to tolerate that level of graphics I need something more to grab me or at least Dwarf Fortress level detail.

I'd agree, but I'd settle for a *wee bit* less than DF detail level, that game still scares the shit outta me!

I know I'm late to the party here, but if you like base building / sim games, you gota give Dwarf Fortress a shot! What ultimately worked to teach me the game was this very short (as in like 5 hour) tutorial walking you through it all. They give you a pregenerated map, so you can follow along, and when they say "dig three layers down and 10 blocks over you will hit iron" you actually do:
DF Tutorial Link

I've sunk hundreds of hours into DF. The level of detail is just incredible.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 12:45 DrSquick

I had a treadmill desk "option" before I moved, and it was surprisingly less difficult to use than I thought. I just zip tied a board across the top part for a keyboard and mouse, and had the monitor on a swivel mount that could be accessed at a seated desk or on the treadmill.

The only issue I had was mouse fidelity was not perfect, so I would often move the mouse too far and miss the button I was trying to click. I also had an issue that after walking for an hour or more, on autopilot, stopping was very disorienting. I would get off the treadmill and almost fall down if I wasn't holding onto something. I'm guessing your brain adapts to the new norm of walking but not moving, and then when you stop walking and aren't moving it freaks out.

I didn't use it for hardcore intense work, but I did use it while mindlessly playing a game like WOW daily quests or something that didn't take intense focus. It was a pretty easy way to rack up 5+ miles of extra walking per day.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
10. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 14:21 DrSquick

Quboid wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 13:45:
Finally! I've been waiting and waiting (to complain about how the sale isn't as good this year as previous years and how I already own all the best deals).

Actually I've already seen something to pick up. FSX, released today, is 80% off! I've never seen something so heavily discounted on release, and at £20 full price, it's not wildly overpriced.

Wow, 80% off, didn't it just come out to Steam? I picked up the X52 Pro flight stick/throttle, and haven't found any games I really like to use it with - so I picked this up.

The last Flight Sim I played was probably for Windows 95... This should be interesting.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2014, 15:02 DrSquick

Twitter is the antithesis of my workflow. I found the Getting Things Done method a long time ago, and strive to follow it the best I can. One of the core philosophies is to go to your inbox, don't have your inbox come to you. So, for example, in Outlook I turn off all sounds and popups about new emails. Then I consolidate all other forms of inboxes into as few places as possible.

Twitter is the total opposite of that - having something ding at you constantly.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 11, 2014, 17:18 DrSquick

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 13:25:
Trendy was trying to be trendy but realized there is a trend now that says "if you don't have a moba out last year, you are already too late to the party". So Trendy saw the trend and made the right call. Now the FTP part of DD2 may still be fucked to hell and back. I guess they just weren't ok with a lot of money and want to now risk it going this pay to route. I just think they needed to improve on the formula of DD1.

I sort of fell out of touch with DD once the MOBA thing was announced. But I spent a tremendous amount of time in DD1, and loved it! What is looking bad about DD2? Last I heard they had a ton of classes, it would be FTP, with cosmetic and XP boosts as the only paid items.

129 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo