Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric Phillips

Real Name Eric Phillips   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrSquick
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 29, 2012, 18:44
Total Comments 107 (Novice)
User ID 57381

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 20, 2014, 14:29 DrSquick

FYI the Apple article is behind a RegWall. I'm fine with that, but just an FYI if someone doesn't want to register, there isn't anything useful to read without signing in. I'm not sure if the article is worth signing up for.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 18, 2014, 15:57 DrSquick

Frags4Fun wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 11:51:
nin wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 11:05:
Damn, check out how clear the sky is...you can see for miles.

Sarcasm?

Yeah I'm confused too, it doesn't really look any better than the PS3, does it?

News Comments > The Sims 4 Adds Pools
9. Re: The Sims 4 Adds Pools Nov 5, 2014, 08:55 DrSquick

Task wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 22:33:
I'm shocked, stunned I tell you that it wasn't a Pools DLC.

Here is what EA needs to do... Offer holiday-themed DLC skins. If they offered a $1 St. Patrick's Day green-water pool, and an orange-water pool with some cute pumpkins around the outside for Halloween, and a Christmas pool with snowflakes and a decorated tree; I guarantee you it would sell like mad. My wife is the prime demographic for The Sims and other FTP games like Farmville, and she dies over holiday-themed stuff. She spent $10 on "keys" in Farmville to get a Halloween cat.

I feel dirty just suggesting this though.

News Comments > PC Valkyria Chronicles Includes DLC; Preorders Underway
4. Re: PC Valkyria Chronicles Includes DLC; Preorders Underway Oct 30, 2014, 15:47 DrSquick

It's been forever since I played this since I'm more of a PC gamer, but I recall this being an absolutely fantastic game! The gameplay was pretty dramatically different than anything I had played before.

If you haven't played it for the PS3, and like turn-based games, I would definitely recommend trying this one out!

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Lord of the Hunt Announced
3. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Lord of the Hunt Announced Oct 30, 2014, 14:50 DrSquick

Tim Collins wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 14:04:
GOTY

Wow really? I am an absolute LOTR nut, but hadn't looked at this much at all. My initial thoughts were it looked just like an Assassins Creed re-skin, with all the wall climbing and drop attacks. And I heard the ending is a crappy mini-game?

What makes you like it so much? Is it just really fluid combat and a good ole-fashion fun time, or am I missing something?

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 27, 2014, 10:44 DrSquick

Cutter wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 10:28:
And this is what's going to kill KS. That and their lack of desire to seemingly do any due diligence on any project.

I'm not sure how this was not expected by everyone who put money into KickStarter projects. Most of the projects I see on KS are innovators that have a neat idea, but no business or repetitive production experience. They have no idea the challenges of repetitive manufacturing. They think, "it takes me 30 hours to make one of these by hand, but if we invest $10k into an assembly line I bet it will take 30 minutes each unit!" Then I imagine they get their first KS money and start pricing out how much a PLC and proper automation costs, and they realize they can't even automate one station of their assembly project for what they asked for on KickStarter.

They probably thought, "an Arduino costs $40, I can program this thing in a half day, so a professional PLC is what, maybe $100?" Nope... I just helped a client automate an incredibly simple task on their assembly line; it was taking two parts and snapping them together. A human can do this in 10 seconds per piece, and for 50 years that's how they have done it. To automate it I had to machine roller ramps to align the parts, a set of IR gates to ensure the parts are there, four pneumatic clamps to hold the piece in, four pneumatic pistons to push the piece together, another two pneumatic pistons to push the finished piece out, and a $7k PLC to control the whole thing. All in all, I think this little task cost $20k to automate. So think about how much it would take to automate the whole assembly of one of these complex KS projects; millions.

I would want to see a detailed time and motion analysis of the production plan for these projects before ever investing a cent into them. I would want to see that the creator figured out the 100th one he assembled took him 3 hours, his kickstarter will be for creating these three jigs, ordering 10,000 of these plastic shells from a Chinese injection molding shop, and training three other employees. Those employees will be paid $20/hr, and once fully trained will take 5hr to assemble the finished good. Here is my per-unit cost breakdown, here is my capital budget, here is my SWOT analysis, here is my "fluff budget" for when things go wrong, and finally you can see why this will work.

But if they put that much effort into it, they could get traditional financing in a heartbeat. KS seems to be the "lender of last resort" for people who have ideas but not the business knowledge to finalize their product.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 20, 2014, 11:22 DrSquick

nin wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 09:10:
Beware: Never Download “Codecs” or “Players” To Watch Videos Online.

Amazed people still do that shit.

I can see it pretty easily. In the olden-days the Divex codec was needed for anything. So it wouldn't surprise me much if I tried to open a video these days and it said to go download Divex and then it directed to a spyware site. I could see a huge amount of people falling for that.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 17, 2014, 10:51 DrSquick

Julio wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 18:42:
I guess the rest of the Best Buy stores don't have Intel PCs on hand?

I just gave the local Best Buy a call, an i7 4790K is $70 more at Best Buy than on Amazon, with free two-day shipping. Throw in $4 for next-day shipping, let's say. Would you pay $66 in extra markup to Best Buy?

I just don't get how this could be in any way a good idea. The people who shop at Best Buy are the people who aren't comfortable with the Internet, or need something right this instant. Neither group is the type that would buy a CPU from a store.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released
2. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released Oct 14, 2014, 10:50 DrSquick

Playing as claptrap does sound fantastic, and the low gravity reminds me a bit of some Unreal Tournament matches/mods. But man, it looks like more of the same. And in today's era of Steam sales, there isn't any chance I would pay more than $10 for this.

I know this mentality is not great for PC gaming - I don't want PC gaming to end up in a "race to the bottom" like mobile gaming became, but when I have 10 games I haven't played yet sitting in Steam, I can't justify a $60 in any way. Then if I want DLC I need to pay $90 for the game!?

News Comments > Evolve Alpha Testing This Month
3. Re: Evolve Alpha Testing This Month Oct 9, 2014, 10:56 DrSquick

MDB wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 10:15:
Because it's 1v4. Which is about as fun as it sounds.

Durr, how does that work? I could see it working a few different ways. For example, Golden Gun in N64's Goldeneye was fun, because one guy had a gun that was a one-hit kill, but was a glowing ball on the radar if I recall.

Another fun 1vsSeveral is DungeonLand, which is a Unity game that is a bit like an Action RPG with 4 player co-op as the main mode. But there is a Dungeon Master mode where another player is the Dungeon Master and can summon different monsters and traps, and is trying to keep the four co-op players from getting to the end.

Edit: Nevermind, the site finally loaded - it is four humans of different classes vs a giant monster. Sounds fun for a few rounds.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday
22. Re: Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday Oct 8, 2014, 10:52 DrSquick

Elite definitely has my attention, especially after getting to try someone's Oculus in person.

Is there anything to do in Elite quite yet? Or is it pretty much just dog fighting? I'm totally a nerd, but I love trading and logistics more than fighting usually.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
40. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 14:57 DrSquick

That is an exceptional trailer! I am way too spoiled by Steam sales to buy something at full price, and that trailer showed absolutely no in-game footage, but damn was that an epic trailer! Reminds me of the goosebumps the old Blizzard trailers would give me.  

News Comments > Big Pharma Announced
2. Re: Big Pharma Announced Sep 22, 2014, 19:48 DrSquick

Wow, I read the title and immediately assumed it was one of the super low budget simulator games like Farm Simulator 2014. But this looks very neat!

It reminds me a bit of Hospital Tycoon meets SpaceChem crossed with Factorio.

I know this type of game probably doesn't appeal to a lot of people, but I love me some business simulators!

News Comments > New Oculus VR Unit; Carmack's VR Talk
10. Re: New Oculus VR Unit; Carmack's VR Talk Sep 21, 2014, 18:56 DrSquick

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 17:28:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 17:16:
Screw VR, when can I download Carmack's brain?

I didn't know that Oculus were so deep in the trenches helping out Samsung's Gear VR. I can appreciate the desire for an untethered VR experience but I'm not sure I would want to strap a cellphone to the front of my head for hours on end. I'll let others be the guinea pig for that great experiment.

The big question is will the consumer version of Oculus be the higher res unit?

I don't think there's really a question that the C1 will be 1440p.

Silly question, but can computers handle that? You would need to be able to do 1440p at 120FPS to have 3d 1440p at 60Hz per eye, right? I normally upgrade my PC every 4 years, and I just did earlier this year. I also normally shoot for a ~$250 graphics card, but this time I went quite a bit higher and did a Geforce 770Gtx. But my understanding it that doesn't have a chance at even doing 1440p at 60FPS, let alone to two screens.

I was definitely an Oculus "hater" and thought it would be a passing fad. But I got a chance to try out a Gen2 or whatever the latest one is called, and I was extremely impressed. The new Half Life 2 remake/mod really engrosses you!

News Comments > Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent
27. Re: Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent Sep 11, 2014, 15:01 DrSquick

Am I missing something here? What is so exciting about a few new maps for the hanger? I watched the video, and it looks like it is just a room to store your ships. You log in, walk 10 feet to your ship, get in and leave.

Is it really a big deal if your hanger looks like an office building or the inside of a rock?

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Sep 8, 2014, 09:59 DrSquick

They did the same Apple-only limitation on the last one earlier in the year too. We have a huge TV in the main room where we all eat lunch at the office, and we wanted to put it on while eating, and saw the message that you have to use Safari on a PC or an Apple device. We groaned, and had an AppleTV attached, but never used. So we turn that thing on; of course it has to prompt for 400 updates, which will take exactly 1.9 hours, making you miss the entire presentation. Ignoring those, we finally were able to stream it at some awful resolution.

Definitely made me feel all warm and fuzzy about how the next iThing will make my life so much easier.

News Comments > Deadhold Announced
7. Re: Deadhold Announced Sep 4, 2014, 15:16 DrSquick

I actually feel bad for companies like this. They are releasing a game into a horrifically overcrowded genre, the preview doesn't look graphically stunning, or interesting in any way.

But on the flip side, can you imagine how much work from so many people is going into this. Every grunt on that team is probably doing their best job, but it's all for naught. :/

News Comments > EVE Online Hyperion Launched
3. Re: EVE Online Hyperion Launched Aug 27, 2014, 16:20 DrSquick

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 11:14:
Good timing, guys! Microsoft just updated their macro collection for Excel, too!

This probably sounds dumb, but I absolutely loved the Excel in Space aspect of EVE. I spent countless hours mining rocks on one monitor with Excel open tracking harvest rates and sale amounts.

Needless to say, I went to business school and love building Excel models.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 25, 2014, 12:18 DrSquick

Quinn wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 17:26:
Sad to see Risen 3 isn't in the list. Most ppl who give it an honest chance would see the passion the devs put into that game. 500+ quests, insane environmental level of detail, tons of places to explore. Sadly this will be one of those games that will get it's fame when people actually go play it, instead of just trusting the bitter words of a critic, which is when the game hits the bargain bin. Kinda like Sleeping Dogs, come to think.

In today's era of knowing that twice a year there will be a Steam sale where almost every game over a year old will be 50% off, and every game over two years old will be 75% off, it takes a tremendous amount to get me to buy a $50 game. The last one I bought at full price was Skyrim.

I had not heard of this game until you mentioned it, and my first impression is that the graphics are not anything stellar, certainly not better than the three-year-old Skyrim, the combat looks clunky, and there is not any reason I have to play it right when it comes out like there would be if it had persistent multiplayer like an MMO, or I had a big group of friends who were going to play it together at launch.

If you combine all that with a thousand-hour backlog of games that I have bought but haven't played, games like this will go on the Wishlist until it is 75% or more off.

On a broader scale, this concerns me because it could imply a "race to the bottom" like what happened with mobile games. A $50 iPhone game will never sell, so "AAA" games were priced at $35, and they didn't sell, so they were priced at $25, and they didn't sell. Now a great game that doesn't have in-app purchases, like Game Dev Story are $4.99, and I had to think twice if I would even pay that. So now all the money is gone out of non-IAP mobile games, so we won't ever see high quality/AAA mobile games. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to PC gaming because of the expectation that if you just wait a year the game will be half off. I doubt many studios could stay afloat charging $25 for a brand new AAA title.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2014, 10:31 DrSquick

HumanTarget wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 09:23:
I cannot recommend the Tivo enough. I've been a user since 1998 and am only on my second DVR in that time. Their newest models incorporate significant usability features that I think you could buy one and still cut the cord!

Good luck and let me know if you need a referral code!

Hi there! I have not heard of anyone using a Tivo in a very long time now that pretty much all TV services have DVR capabilities. What are some of your favorite features about it that make it better than the provider DVR? And what makes it cord-cutter friendly?

107 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo