Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric Phillips

Real Name Eric Phillips   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrSquick
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 29, 2012, 18:44
Total Comments 76 (Suspect)
User ID 57381

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > The Sims 4 Subscription Plans
6. Re: The Sims 4 Subscription Plans Jul 21, 2014, 15:13 DrSquick

NKD wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:51:
Interesting approach. Not sure how well it'll go over with the "casual" Sims crowd though. Even if it ends up being a similar price to the frequent expansions and smaller content packs, the term "subscription" implies more of a level of commitment people might not be into.

My gut is to agree with you. But my wife got super into point and click casual games, and there was a service that was like $10/month, and every month would give you a token to buy another game. Or you could buy the game outright for like $18. She bit onto that instantly... So perhaps they are onto something. Piles of money, no doubt.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Subscription MMOG Market Analysis
4. Re: Subscription MMOG Market Analysis Jul 18, 2014, 16:49 DrSquick

Back before I had kids I was a huge MMO nut. And I can definitely say canceling my account for any MMO was always very hard. I always felt like I was losing something. In many ways the daily grind on the MMO became something I could rely on.

Yeah it sounds dumb, I don't have time for that anymore. But I can definitely understand how a ton of people aren't canceling because they have a similar sense of attachment to keeping their subscription active.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 17, 2014, 13:36 DrSquick

Half a million bucks doesn't go all that far when it comes to staffing. My total variable cost for a $50k a year person, which accounts for the company's portion of FICA, health insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance, liability insurance, workers comp insurance, life insurance, 401k matching, cell phone service, and a few other items is $92k.

So that $500k would get eaten by 6 people in a single year unless they were all contractors and the shop didn't offer any insurances.

News Comments > WildStar Updated
13. Re: WildStar Updated Jul 1, 2014, 17:13 DrSquick

Deathbot V1.87 wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 16:43:
There's nothing circular about that. As a consumer he has decided that he has a finite amount of money devoted to entertainment which game developers must compete for. The best product wins(earns his money) and the rest do not. There's nothing circular about that.

The criteria one may use to decide who gets their consumer dollar will vary between each person. If you determine that a product/service/game doesn't deserve your money then don't give it to them. THAT is the power of the consumer.

For me, Steam sales have greatly skewed my required "entertainment per dollar" quota. For $12 I can get a game like Skyrim a couple years after it came out. It still looks fantastic, and offers a couple hundred hours of entertainment for $12. In other areas, like inde genres, a $3 game might provide 30 hours of entertainment. So with expectations like that, a $15/month game would need to be played 200 hours a month, and there is no way I have 200 hours per month to play any game at this stage in my life. However, ten years ago I had two subscriptions to Eve Online going at the same time multi-boxing, probably playing 300 hours per month.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: 165Mbps internet Jun 29, 2014, 17:44 DrSquick

Assuming the whole bandwidth/peering/buffering issues could be resolved, and content I actually wanted was on there, like current-run TV shows, sports, etc; probably $1.99 per episode.

I would cancel cable instantly if I had an alternative to watch baseball. But right now I pay $30 more than just Internet to get cable TV. So assuming I cancel the TV portion, I would have to replace it with Netflix for ~$13 a month, and MLB streaming for $20/month. Bam - didn't save any money :/

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 29, 2014, 16:51 DrSquick

I picked up a 41" 4k TV for $499 in a crazy sale recently to use as my primary monitor. One thing that everyone should know is most (all?) of these cheap 4k monitors are only 30hz at 4k. I personally found this extremely distracting, and resulted in issues such as me missing the close "X" in the corner of windows when moving across the whole screen because you are covering so many pixels in such a short time.

Personally I found the extra resolution amazingly helpful, even more so than 3x1080P screens. However, I ultimately had to give the monitor to someone else because I couldn't adjust to the low refresh rate. I will definitely be picking up the first 40"ish 60hz 4k screen I can find for under $600 though; it is undoubtedly a huge productivity increase.

Also, regarding availability - I am seeing them everywhere in the US. Costco, for example, has four different 4k screens as soon as you walk in the front door.

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
37. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 13:54 DrSquick

I played the alpha for about 30 minutes and wrote the game off for the next two years. Then finally someone convinced me to buy it, and what really makes Minecraft is the mods.

There is a free loader called "Feed The Beast" that makes installing huge mod packs very easy. I have easily spent 2,000 hours playing Minecraft since discovering mods. If you like making automated production pipelines, energy generation systems, and interconnected logistics networks - you will love Minecraft with mods.

It is amazing to go from naked and punching a tree to having a 40 story tall fusion reactor powering 10 strip miners slowly devouring the world, with the output being automatically sorted, and processed into refined goods - to be used to build larger and larger power systems.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 23, 2014, 15:19 DrSquick

Not sure if you all have seen the reports, but someone has reverse engineered the traffic going from the Comcast router to the Comcast service, and is selling an image that will run on a Linux machine and emulate the Comcast public SSID, but records the username and password.

Imagine the amount of people who's username is their email address, and they have the same password for Comcast as they do for their bank and email account. I doubt many people will be using the public Comcast SSID; but man that is going to be a hellstorm if people start getting hacked because people are spoofing the Comcast routers and being a man-in-the-middle to get passwords.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Countdown
14. Re: Team Fortress 2 Countdown Jun 17, 2014, 13:53 DrSquick

Whenever I hear about TF2 I always think of the original design of TF2, being a "serious" sequel to the original TF1, the look was just SOOO different: http://media.moddb.com/images/members/1/321/320345/tf2_old_4.jpg  

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Adds "Extreme" Frame Rate Support
11. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 12:36 DrSquick

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2014, 12:08:
Fuck, I wish Bethsoft would patch Skyrim for that.

Does it look good, or is it similar to the "soap opera" effect that you get on the 120hz TVs that do frame interpolation; where it looks "off" or unnatural. Do you know the effect I am referring to? My screen is only 60hz, so I can't tell if this video accurately represents it, but here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_dE6HPIAJM

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Adds "Extreme" Frame Rate Support
5. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 10:59 DrSquick

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 13, 2014, 10:45:
peteham wrote on May 13, 2014, 10:23:
Where's the patch to reduce the ridiculous install-size due to uncompressed audio?
Did they really use uncompressed audio? Wall

This is much preferred over using anti aliasing on audio, that definitely doesn't work well.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
10. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 4, 2014, 20:32 DrSquick

Hey Cutter, I wouldn't think of the Surface Pro as a tablet, but as a super small laptop (Ultrabook, is that term even used anymore?). I have used a Surface Pro as my sole work laptop since the SP1 came out, and I love it. I am in a ton of meetings, so being able to take notes with the pen is great. Then when I get back to my desk I have a dock and external LCD, keyboard, and mouse.

The downsides - the screen is an 10" 1080 screen. This is unusably small! It is fine for when I am out in the field, but holy cow, trying to show someone something on your laptop is impossible. Second, battery life is awful. Even with the SP2, which has a Haswell, the battery still sucks. I don't bet on more than 3 hours of life. Lastly, the touchpad is beyond awful on the SP2 keyboard.

The upsides - it is far and beyond the smallest and lowest weight laptop I've ever used. I downsized my work bag, and I cut over half the weight! The digitizer for the pen is fantastic. I've used a half dozen HP and Dell tablets with digitizers, and the SP one is by far the best. It is fast! It is an i5 with 4GB of RAM and an SSD. For an office laptop that's plenty sufficient.

With all that said - I've never used it without the keyboard unless I'm taking notes on it. I never take it out to sit on the couch and watch videos, I imagine I would get less than an hour of battery life on it. I also don't use any tablet though, I am constantly on my phone while on the couch, but I just don't like tablets as a means of media consumption.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 10:21 DrSquick

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:01:
I have been playing this game from release and this feature pack, although ambitious,has made too much of a negative impact of the game.Through all the devs positive double speak, it will have a negative impact on many. It's a game breaker for many.

Hey Marvin. I really loved GW2 when it came out, but then I had a squadron of babies, and haven't played since about three months after release. What aspect of this is game breaking? It looks like they changed the trait system or something?

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2014, 09:15 DrSquick

Sorry I'm in the US too, I just never even looked at the price. I am so spoiled by Steam sales, that I really have to think hard about spending more than $30 on a PC game. I have such a huge backlog of games that I haven't played that I'm fine waiting six months to pick this up, hopefully at ~$30 or less.  

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
3. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Apr 4, 2014, 19:22 DrSquick

Has anyone seen the expansion on sale anywhere? I wasn't a super hater of Diablo 3, I got a good 40+ hours of fun out of it, but I've heard the expansion does make things quite fun with the adventure maps. But I also can't justify spending $60 on it. Maybe $30ish... But has anyone seen it on sale anywhere?  

11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 24, 2014, 19:21 DrSquick

BitWraith wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 08:47:
DrSquick wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 19:35:
I don't understand why they are so passive about this though. If they know a certain ISP is throttling them, why not throw a giant banner on every movie saying "We detected you are a XXX customer, they are throttling your connection to us which will result in poor performance, call 1-800-xxx-xxxx and let them know you will not accept that."

I understand they have to stay in business, but make life hell for the ISPs. Make them hire a thousand more customer service reps to take the angry calls from people.

I know my parents would just say "damn, Netflix is slow today." If they could instead redirect that anger toward their ISP it might be more useful!

Comcast doesn't care if you accept it. Where are you going to go?

We at least have two options here, AT&T Uverse or the cable provider (different in almost every city). But my hometown is very unique, they have two to three cable providers for the same house! My guess is the cities own the copper or something, because the exact same house can call up any of the three cable providers and get service through them.

This just makes me so mad that the ISPs can do this.

3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 23, 2014, 19:35 DrSquick

I don't understand why they are so passive about this though. If they know a certain ISP is throttling them, why not throw a giant banner on every movie saying "We detected you are a XXX customer, they are throttling your connection to us which will result in poor performance, call 1-800-xxx-xxxx and let them know you will not accept that."

I understand they have to stay in business, but make life hell for the ISPs. Make them hire a thousand more customer service reps to take the angry calls from people.

I know my parents would just say "damn, Netflix is slow today." If they could instead redirect that anger toward their ISP it might be more useful!

News Comments > SimCity Patch Adds Offline Play
16. Re: SimCity Patch Adds Offline Play Mar 18, 2014, 17:46 DrSquick

I still feel like this was just part of the plan. As a form of DRM, I bet this SimCity game sold a very notable amount more copies by being online-only than if it had offline play from the start.

I don't like it, but having the online component be unavoidable is the most effective DRM we have ever had.

News Comments > Space Pirates and Zombies 2 Announced
4. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies 2 Announced Feb 7, 2014, 09:41 DrSquick

I really loved SPAZ! One thing that would make me love it more is if there was a station-building component... X3 is my favorite game/genre ever, so an "X3-light" would be nifty  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 26, 2014, 21:09 DrSquick

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 19:39:
Like to know who only uses 250mb on a shared plan? I don't think that is possible for anyone. Verizon is such a sleezy company, only AT&T is worse.

I'm a very very heavy data user, but I am also a hermit, and my music and podcast apps download only while on wifi, and email is set to not push or check on a schedule, only when you open the app. I use about 300MB per month! I am on wifi at the office, at home, at my parents house, at my brother's house, and at my in-laws house; and that's pretty much the only places I go beside stores, and when I'm there I'm trying to get in and out as fast as possible.

I pay for the cell phone for all my employees, so I see the data usage of 25 other folks, and a couple people use 3+GB, but the rest are definitely less than 1GB because of wifi everywhere.

250MB is probably too small, but 1GB shared would definitely be enough for me.

76 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo