Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric Phillips

Real Name Eric Phillips   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrSquick
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 29, 2012, 18:44
Total Comments 94 (Suspect)
User ID 57381

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > New Oculus VR Unit; Carmack's VR Talk
10. Re: New Oculus VR Unit; Carmack's VR Talk Sep 21, 2014, 18:56 DrSquick

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 17:28:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 17:16:
Screw VR, when can I download Carmack's brain?

I didn't know that Oculus were so deep in the trenches helping out Samsung's Gear VR. I can appreciate the desire for an untethered VR experience but I'm not sure I would want to strap a cellphone to the front of my head for hours on end. I'll let others be the guinea pig for that great experiment.

The big question is will the consumer version of Oculus be the higher res unit?

I don't think there's really a question that the C1 will be 1440p.

Silly question, but can computers handle that? You would need to be able to do 1440p at 120FPS to have 3d 1440p at 60Hz per eye, right? I normally upgrade my PC every 4 years, and I just did earlier this year. I also normally shoot for a ~$250 graphics card, but this time I went quite a bit higher and did a Geforce 770Gtx. But my understanding it that doesn't have a chance at even doing 1440p at 60FPS, let alone to two screens.

I was definitely an Oculus "hater" and thought it would be a passing fad. But I got a chance to try out a Gen2 or whatever the latest one is called, and I was extremely impressed. The new Half Life 2 remake/mod really engrosses you!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent
27. Re: Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent Sep 11, 2014, 15:01 DrSquick

Am I missing something here? What is so exciting about a few new maps for the hanger? I watched the video, and it looks like it is just a room to store your ships. You log in, walk 10 feet to your ship, get in and leave.

Is it really a big deal if your hanger looks like an office building or the inside of a rock?

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Sep 8, 2014, 09:59 DrSquick

They did the same Apple-only limitation on the last one earlier in the year too. We have a huge TV in the main room where we all eat lunch at the office, and we wanted to put it on while eating, and saw the message that you have to use Safari on a PC or an Apple device. We groaned, and had an AppleTV attached, but never used. So we turn that thing on; of course it has to prompt for 400 updates, which will take exactly 1.9 hours, making you miss the entire presentation. Ignoring those, we finally were able to stream it at some awful resolution.

Definitely made me feel all warm and fuzzy about how the next iThing will make my life so much easier.

News Comments > Deadhold Announced
7. Re: Deadhold Announced Sep 4, 2014, 15:16 DrSquick

I actually feel bad for companies like this. They are releasing a game into a horrifically overcrowded genre, the preview doesn't look graphically stunning, or interesting in any way.

But on the flip side, can you imagine how much work from so many people is going into this. Every grunt on that team is probably doing their best job, but it's all for naught. :/

News Comments > EVE Online Hyperion Launched
3. Re: EVE Online Hyperion Launched Aug 27, 2014, 16:20 DrSquick

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 11:14:
Good timing, guys! Microsoft just updated their macro collection for Excel, too!

This probably sounds dumb, but I absolutely loved the Excel in Space aspect of EVE. I spent countless hours mining rocks on one monitor with Excel open tracking harvest rates and sale amounts.

Needless to say, I went to business school and love building Excel models.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 25, 2014, 12:18 DrSquick

Quinn wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 17:26:
Sad to see Risen 3 isn't in the list. Most ppl who give it an honest chance would see the passion the devs put into that game. 500+ quests, insane environmental level of detail, tons of places to explore. Sadly this will be one of those games that will get it's fame when people actually go play it, instead of just trusting the bitter words of a critic, which is when the game hits the bargain bin. Kinda like Sleeping Dogs, come to think.

In today's era of knowing that twice a year there will be a Steam sale where almost every game over a year old will be 50% off, and every game over two years old will be 75% off, it takes a tremendous amount to get me to buy a $50 game. The last one I bought at full price was Skyrim.

I had not heard of this game until you mentioned it, and my first impression is that the graphics are not anything stellar, certainly not better than the three-year-old Skyrim, the combat looks clunky, and there is not any reason I have to play it right when it comes out like there would be if it had persistent multiplayer like an MMO, or I had a big group of friends who were going to play it together at launch.

If you combine all that with a thousand-hour backlog of games that I have bought but haven't played, games like this will go on the Wishlist until it is 75% or more off.

On a broader scale, this concerns me because it could imply a "race to the bottom" like what happened with mobile games. A $50 iPhone game will never sell, so "AAA" games were priced at $35, and they didn't sell, so they were priced at $25, and they didn't sell. Now a great game that doesn't have in-app purchases, like Game Dev Story are $4.99, and I had to think twice if I would even pay that. So now all the money is gone out of non-IAP mobile games, so we won't ever see high quality/AAA mobile games. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to PC gaming because of the expectation that if you just wait a year the game will be half off. I doubt many studios could stay afloat charging $25 for a brand new AAA title.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2014, 10:31 DrSquick

HumanTarget wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 09:23:
I cannot recommend the Tivo enough. I've been a user since 1998 and am only on my second DVR in that time. Their newest models incorporate significant usability features that I think you could buy one and still cut the cord!

Good luck and let me know if you need a referral code!

Hi there! I have not heard of anyone using a Tivo in a very long time now that pretty much all TV services have DVR capabilities. What are some of your favorite features about it that make it better than the provider DVR? And what makes it cord-cutter friendly?

News Comments > Wing Commander 3 Free on Origin
12. Re: RE: Follow up Aug 5, 2014, 17:53 DrSquick

garrywong wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 16:24:
Wow, they are still trying this tactic. Throw out free games to lure people into installing Origin. I wonder if the frequency of them using this tactic means it's not working or actually is...

I would guess quite well. In my company we have a gaming distribution list, and the free Sims one got sent around a few weeks ago, and it seemed many people did.

I'm not an Origin fan, but I also resisted Steam for years, now it is basically the only place I get games now.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Beta
9. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Beta Aug 5, 2014, 09:45 DrSquick

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 08:52:
Angrius Maximis wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 08:41:
A little disappointed that all they are doing is taking Panzer General and slapping Warhammer 40k sprites on it. Pass

QFT!

Seriously, look at the screenshots. It looks like crap. GW has got to be the most inept licensing-agent ever in the history of video games.

I assume a big portion of their decision making process is to make sure they don't make a game that will compete directly with the physical table-top game. I would have to imagine at $60 for 4 plastic figurines, that is a massive profit center for them.

All the GW stores around me have closed, so I would love a proper simulation of the board game. Imagine the army making being similar to Magic the Gathering-style deck making. Then you go online and the dice rolls and line of sight are calculated for you.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 11:08 DrSquick

Another idea for a group game would be "Unturned." I just heard about this game earlier in the week, and it is fantastic for being free! It is a game similar to Rust or DayZ where you are in a zombie-infected world, where food and drink are constantly a struggle till you get a farm set up. The graphics are very minecraft-esk. But I've had a blast, especially since getting a vehicle is not too hard fairly early in the game, so meeting up with the rest of your party is pretty easy.

The game is free with a $5 option to buy a gold name, extra outfits, etc. My understanding is it was also written by a fairly young person, which makes it even more impressive.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 09:23 DrSquick

I would definitely watch a four-player Let's Play!  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 28, 2014, 11:29 DrSquick

I never understood those oddball interview questions. I get that they are trying to find creative thinkers, but most of them are carnival trick questions. I have interviewed hundreds of people, and I much prefer to focus on real-world situations that have actually happened and get them to explain how they reacted.

Second, the question "Do you believe in a higher power" is ripe for an EEOC lawsuit. If that person gets denied and another accepted, and they have similar credentials, PepsiCo is screwed. Right from the EEOC website:

Religious Discrimination
Religious discrimination involves treating a person (an applicant or employee) unfavorably because of his or her religious beliefs. The law protects not only people who belong to traditional, organized religions, such as Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism, but also others who have sincerely held religious, ethical or moral beliefs.

News Comments > Screencheat Embraces Screencheating
5. Re: Screencheat Embraces Screencheating Jul 25, 2014, 10:09 DrSquick

wtf_man wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 09:55:
I think a much more interesting twist on this would be:

Everyone Invisible
Can see the weapon fire
Stuff in the environment easily disturbed (has movement as you walk by)

No real need for "screen cheating"... just watch the environment / other's gun fire and take pot shots. If you hit they become bloody visible just before they die or explode or whatever.

That would definitely be much more interesting. I almost think of it like all the different game modes Goldeneye had, and I think that is why that game was so much fun. You could play Golden Gun one day, paintball the next, bighead the next.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Announced
3. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Announced Jul 25, 2014, 09:55 DrSquick

I really loved the first one too. Building ships and picking out just the right parts has always been one of my favorite features of any space-type game.

Did anyone play the Tank Battle game? If you liked the first GSB, what did you think of the tank one?

News Comments > Screencheat Embraces Screencheating
3. Re: Screencheat Embraces Screencheating Jul 25, 2014, 09:52 DrSquick

Yeah That's what I was thinking too... I love that they took the risk of trying something completely new. But this does not sound or look even remotely fun.  

News Comments > The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Free for All
23. Re: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Free for All Jul 24, 2014, 11:26 DrSquick

My favorite memory of Sims was when Sims 1 came out. I remember I woke up super early on a Saturday for some reason and eagerly bought it, installed it, and proceeded to play it nonstop for 14 hours. I recall I only ate breakfast that day, didn't take a shower, and my house was a mess.

But there I was - exercising, cleaning my house, reading books, and showing - my virtual self, while my real-life self needed to do all those things.

I exited the game and remember it was dark outside, I smelled, and was woozy from not eating all day. I uninstall and never played again thinking, "well that was dumb."

Good times.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 24, 2014, 11:19 DrSquick

Can services like Dropbox do block-level syncing? For example, if you make a 1GB TrueCrypt volume, and modify 1MB of data inside it, does Dropbox need to send the whole 1GB back to the cloud, or can it just sync the blocks that changed?

If it can't do block level, that kinda kills any ability to do your own encryption, right? Or am I missing a tool that I should know about?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 23, 2014, 11:41 DrSquick

Madden on mobile has such potential! Imagine if it used the accelerometer, and you actually had to throw the phone to make a pass. Then they could sell a Nerf housing for your phone like the Wii driving wheel.

Nothing bad could possibly happen with that...

News Comments > The Sims 4 Subscription Plans
6. Re: The Sims 4 Subscription Plans Jul 21, 2014, 15:13 DrSquick

NKD wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:51:
Interesting approach. Not sure how well it'll go over with the "casual" Sims crowd though. Even if it ends up being a similar price to the frequent expansions and smaller content packs, the term "subscription" implies more of a level of commitment people might not be into.

My gut is to agree with you. But my wife got super into point and click casual games, and there was a service that was like $10/month, and every month would give you a token to buy another game. Or you could buy the game outright for like $18. She bit onto that instantly... So perhaps they are onto something. Piles of money, no doubt.

News Comments > Subscription MMOG Market Analysis
4. Re: Subscription MMOG Market Analysis Jul 18, 2014, 16:49 DrSquick

Back before I had kids I was a huge MMO nut. And I can definitely say canceling my account for any MMO was always very hard. I always felt like I was losing something. In many ways the daily grind on the MMO became something I could rely on.

Yeah it sounds dumb, I don't have time for that anymore. But I can definitely understand how a ton of people aren't canceling because they have a similar sense of attachment to keeping their subscription active.

94 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo