Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric Phillips

Real Name Eric Phillips   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrSquick
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 29, 2012, 18:44
Total Comments 64 (Suspect)
User ID 57381

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 10:21 DrSquick

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:01:
I have been playing this game from release and this feature pack, although ambitious,has made too much of a negative impact of the game.Through all the devs positive double speak, it will have a negative impact on many. It's a game breaker for many.

Hey Marvin. I really loved GW2 when it came out, but then I had a squadron of babies, and haven't played since about three months after release. What aspect of this is game breaking? It looks like they changed the trait system or something?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2014, 09:15 DrSquick

Sorry I'm in the US too, I just never even looked at the price. I am so spoiled by Steam sales, that I really have to think hard about spending more than $30 on a PC game. I have such a huge backlog of games that I haven't played that I'm fine waiting six months to pick this up, hopefully at ~$30 or less.  

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
3. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Apr 4, 2014, 19:22 DrSquick

Has anyone seen the expansion on sale anywhere? I wasn't a super hater of Diablo 3, I got a good 40+ hours of fun out of it, but I've heard the expansion does make things quite fun with the adventure maps. But I also can't justify spending $60 on it. Maybe $30ish... But has anyone seen it on sale anywhere?  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 24, 2014, 19:21 DrSquick

BitWraith wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 08:47:
DrSquick wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 19:35:
I don't understand why they are so passive about this though. If they know a certain ISP is throttling them, why not throw a giant banner on every movie saying "We detected you are a XXX customer, they are throttling your connection to us which will result in poor performance, call 1-800-xxx-xxxx and let them know you will not accept that."

I understand they have to stay in business, but make life hell for the ISPs. Make them hire a thousand more customer service reps to take the angry calls from people.

I know my parents would just say "damn, Netflix is slow today." If they could instead redirect that anger toward their ISP it might be more useful!

Comcast doesn't care if you accept it. Where are you going to go?

We at least have two options here, AT&T Uverse or the cable provider (different in almost every city). But my hometown is very unique, they have two to three cable providers for the same house! My guess is the cities own the copper or something, because the exact same house can call up any of the three cable providers and get service through them.

This just makes me so mad that the ISPs can do this.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 23, 2014, 19:35 DrSquick

I don't understand why they are so passive about this though. If they know a certain ISP is throttling them, why not throw a giant banner on every movie saying "We detected you are a XXX customer, they are throttling your connection to us which will result in poor performance, call 1-800-xxx-xxxx and let them know you will not accept that."

I understand they have to stay in business, but make life hell for the ISPs. Make them hire a thousand more customer service reps to take the angry calls from people.

I know my parents would just say "damn, Netflix is slow today." If they could instead redirect that anger toward their ISP it might be more useful!

News Comments > SimCity Patch Adds Offline Play
16. Re: SimCity Patch Adds Offline Play Mar 18, 2014, 17:46 DrSquick

I still feel like this was just part of the plan. As a form of DRM, I bet this SimCity game sold a very notable amount more copies by being online-only than if it had offline play from the start.

I don't like it, but having the online component be unavoidable is the most effective DRM we have ever had.

News Comments > Space Pirates and Zombies 2 Announced
4. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies 2 Announced Feb 7, 2014, 09:41 DrSquick

I really loved SPAZ! One thing that would make me love it more is if there was a station-building component... X3 is my favorite game/genre ever, so an "X3-light" would be nifty  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 26, 2014, 21:09 DrSquick

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 19:39:
Like to know who only uses 250mb on a shared plan? I don't think that is possible for anyone. Verizon is such a sleezy company, only AT&T is worse.

I'm a very very heavy data user, but I am also a hermit, and my music and podcast apps download only while on wifi, and email is set to not push or check on a schedule, only when you open the app. I use about 300MB per month! I am on wifi at the office, at home, at my parents house, at my brother's house, and at my in-laws house; and that's pretty much the only places I go beside stores, and when I'm there I'm trying to get in and out as fast as possible.

I pay for the cell phone for all my employees, so I see the data usage of 25 other folks, and a couple people use 3+GB, but the rest are definitely less than 1GB because of wifi everywhere.

250MB is probably too small, but 1GB shared would definitely be enough for me.

News Comments > EA Paying for YouTube Love
19. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 13:15 DrSquick

Quboid wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 13:01:
I'd like to know how much these guys make. If they're getting $5 CPM profit (i.e. after production costs, their network's cut) then TB must be pretty well off and someone as well viewed and prolific as NerdCubed must be bringing in hundreds of thousands a year.

Worth A Buy, on the other hand, would be struggling to bring in a thousand dollars a year. As with any industry, this is probably closer to the mode average.

Blue wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 10:46:
DrSquick wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 10:35:
I know pretty much nothing about online advertising, but isn't $10 per thousand views pretty high?

Yes it is.

What do you know about it??!

Darn that Blue, making money from ads. I, for one, think he should pay US to visit his website.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 22, 2014, 12:05 DrSquick

I imagine the strategy meeting at the Candy Crush Tower looks like generals standing around a war room table, but instead of little tanks, it is a Candy Crush board.

And the problem becomes impossible to solve without buying the $4.99 "extra moves" in game purchase.

News Comments > EA Paying for YouTube Love
7. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 22, 2014, 10:35 DrSquick

I know pretty much nothing about online advertising, but isn't $10 per thousand views pretty high? I have no idea what YouTube pays for the really high-end producers, but I can't imagine it is nearly that much, is it?  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 14, 2014, 20:39 DrSquick

Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 20:18:
A) Because safety an security are part of their mandate. This makes everyone less safe and secure for numerous reasons.

B) It's one thing for two people to hold a quiet conversation. It's entirely different when some loud-mouthed bitch or half-drunk asshole is yammering away on his phone at 84 decibels. See if this doesn't result in all kinds of in-air shenanigans over the next year. I'll be you dollars to donuts it will.

You won't even be able to hear them because the in-cabin noise can be 80-85db during flight. I know what you mean though, I really would not like to be smushed like a sardine next to someone talking for four straight hours. As it is though, I have to wear earplugs on a flight or my mind goes crazy from the constant noise! It's like being in a large server datacenter, the AC and servers blasting a constant white/pink noise really makes me anxious.

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
15. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 13, 2014, 10:43 DrSquick

Isn't it just possible that making a game "online-only" for the first 6-9 months is a way to ensure the traditional pirating methods will not work, forcing more people to buy the game; then later patching in offline play?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2013, 10:41 DrSquick

nin wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 09:19:
Reminds me of a time I had to have blood drawn, years ago. First woman tried multiple times, on both arms, jabbing the hell out of me, over and over, with no luck. Finally, she goes and gets this other woman. Other Woman was clearly the expert, as I never felt a thing, and told her she needed to teach the first woman How It Was Done.

Same thing happened to me, the first time I ever had blood drawn was by a travelling nurse for a life insurance physical, and it was horrible. That scarred me from having my blood drawn for the next 5-10 years! Every time since then has been almost painless.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 15:09 DrSquick

I'm sorry to hear Blue, I am definitely a dog lover, and every time they go I swear I can't do it again.  

News Comments > WoW's Ninth Anniversary
1. Re: WoW's Ninth Anniversary Nov 23, 2013, 18:42 DrSquick

I know people love to hate on WOW, but I have some fantastic memories of WOW. I remember the Sunday night before Cataclysm I led our rag-tag guild on the very last attempt at downing the Lich King; just normal difficulty 10-man. That's a "simple" thing for many guilds, but we were all working adults, so we only could raid a couple hours per week.

I remember it was about 11 PM, and I should have gone to bed an hour before, but we really wanted to get him down before Cata came out. And on our 12th attempt of the night we finally did it. It was absolutely glorious!

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
7. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 10:32 DrSquick

I just built an absolute beast of a new computer for X-Rebirth - fastest i5, 8GB ram, half decent mobo, SSD, but I put a large chunk of the money into the graphics to get a Geforce 770 once they dropped dramatically in price. In theory, this PC can play anything at 1080P with everything maxed out, and I got it all for under $900.

So while I am skeptical of Star Citizen being able to life up to the grandiose promises, I would be exceptionally delighted if it did. It is definitely my favorite genre! But regarding the point that you need a 3000$ computer for it, that is definitely not true. You can build a great computer for under $1000 that I'm sure will be able to play SC with almost everything maxed out.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 10:31 DrSquick

Blue, that got me thinking - do you prepare Saturday's and Sunday's posts ahead of time? Or have you worked seven days a week for the last 15 years?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: iPad Air’s A7 chip is identical to the iPhone’s, just faster. Oct 30, 2013, 14:57 DrSquick

Yeah I think that's like saying an i5 Haswell 3.0Ghz chip is the same as an i5 Haswell 3.5Ghz chip. They are, just one runs at a higher clock rate.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
10. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 27, 2013, 18:15 DrSquick

nin wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 14:01:
Fantaz wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 13:55:
Grumpy Sod wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 13:52:
... 'we cannot, no matter how hard we try, get anything to run at 1080p. we've been told we have to, with the current memory holding it back, but it's just not going to happen, it's pretty miserable'. ...

if PS4 does 4K but Xbox One can't even do 1080p then I don't think the Xbone will last a full console cycle...

4K video display and 4K graphic rendering are totally different animals.

Aren't we still quite a ways away from 4k rendering at reasonable speeds? I keep hearing that even the latest $600 graphics cards can barely do 1400P. 1080P is around 2M pixels, 1400P is 3.7M, and 4K is over 8M pixels! I admit I have fallen way out of touch with graphics cards, but is rendering 8M pixels four times more computationally intensive than 2M at 1080P?

64 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo