Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mellis

Real Name mellis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mellis
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 19, 2012, 14:03
Total Comments 81 (Suspect)
User ID 57372

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
127. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 17:36 mellis

Ant wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:31:
How many people preordered ED and did not play it?

me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
130. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 19:02 mellis

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 18:49:
Again, they would have known this LONG ago. They didn't make the decision to switch to a "the server does everything" model in the past few months. They made that decision basically all the way back in the beginning. Had they made the announcement then, it would have been quite a different story from them making it exactly one month before release.

The reason they've done it should be fairly obvious. There isn't actually much in the way of in-game content. This isn't diametrically opposed to what was in the original Elite, but things have moved on.

The fact is, a space game like Elite will get very tiring very quickly without a huge amount of content continuous and/or truly dynamic events. And nothing is quite as dynamic as a human interaction.

Since there is no campaign (the only goal being to get a bigger ship to haul more cargo around), they're basically trying to avoid Elite becoming like others that have foisted the offline space experience (See Independence War 2, Freelancer etc) - mildly interesting for a week in campaign mode and then...forgotten.

Of course online means they'll be moving towards a micro-transaction or subscription model at some point most likely, but if it's successful as Eve has been for its publisher, they can make all the cool things that realize space (Planet landings, walking around etc). All of this costs money, time and resources and it simply cannot be justified if no one is even playing your game after a month.

Frankly, of all the space games that would make sense to be "Online only" - Elite is probably at the front of the queue; an awesome flight model with human interactions and a conduit for retaining interest to allow greater expansion.

Granted though; the PR was handled badly but the reasoning seems sound.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Reviews
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Reviews Nov 12, 2014, 08:28 mellis

Is it a coincidence Jade Raymond just left Ubisoft before this got released?  

News Comments > Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam
8. Re: Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam Nov 7, 2014, 20:19 mellis

1badmf wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 20:10:
are they still requiring you login to uplay even if you buy it on steam?

yes

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Documentary
6. Re: Elite: Dangerous Documentary Nov 3, 2014, 18:59 mellis

I wonder if behind the scenes, Facebook has waved the wallet at them... Seems like it's the killer app for Oculus, and if they keep working on Elite after release by going after a better "Eve" - potentially a massive money spinner in its own right.  

News Comments > Call of Duty Zombie Shocker
3. Re: Call of Duty Zombie Shocker Oct 31, 2014, 12:25 mellis

The video (With actual gameplay and CGI trailer) is available here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/noh8zmab3sox68k/codaw.mp4  

News Comments > Dragon Age Keep Open Demo
1. Re: Dragon Age Keep Open Demo Oct 30, 2014, 10:18 mellis

I chuckled...  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Welcome to Kyrat Trailer, Part Two
4. Re: Far Cry 4 Welcome to Kyrat Trailer, Part Two Oct 24, 2014, 14:23 mellis

I want the limited edition as well, but the blasted game isn't available on Steam for the UK. No idea why...  

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $58M
13. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 12, 2014, 15:53 mellis

Elite Dangerous just exemplifies a well managed project with realistic deliverables and some stunning graphics. This Star Citizen seems farcical by comparison.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Oct 6, 2014, 14:11 mellis

nin wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 13:50:
So, technically, with Lucasfilm now saying Epi 1-6 + Clone Wars (and now Rebels) only being canon...

None of this shit happened...

Urg, they didn't ditch episodes 1-3 in the end from the canon then? That's a really big shame. Clone Wars and unmasking Boba Fett as an Australian human were the most rubbish things ever. Oh and don't get me started on that midichlorian garbage...

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
6. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 2, 2014, 20:09 mellis

Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 19:13:
Obsidian is behind schedule. Gee...what a surprise.

In fairness, it's a silly time to put out such a title. There is literally a glut of games on the horizon, all competing for our dollars - and it would be a really big shame if Pillars of Eternity didn't get its share of it.

If you've played the 'Backer Beta', they are onto something special. It really is a spiritual successor to the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale games, with all the next-gen FX bells and whistles. But, it's not quite there yet...

It has such insane potential, that it would be a shame for them to fall at the final hurdle by pushing out a poo.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Trailers
1. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailers Sep 25, 2014, 19:03 mellis

Every trailer looks awesomely scary. Rock on release day  

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Trailers
1. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailers Sep 19, 2014, 10:10 mellis

That game looks genuinely terrifying. They've got a pre-order.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus
41. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 12, 2014, 18:09 mellis

Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 16:16:
They're out of money, so they kinda have to. There was an article, I think blue linked it, couple of days or a week or so ago that Frontier was in the red.

Have you got a link for this? I can't find anything on Google and their stock price seems to be trading pretty high - Not what you'd expect for a company with rumors of indebtedness...

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed?
15. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 13:55 mellis

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 13:01:
I'm hoping for the best but this game is giving me serious Spore vibes.

Yep. "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!"

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Last of us secret ending Jul 30, 2014, 16:01 mellis

Creston wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 14:47:
Seems like it would have been cool, though the current ending conveys the same idea just about as well.

Was very disappointed in the ending - but I guess if it'd gone the other way, they wouldn't have such an obvious plot for a sequel...

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Animated Short
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Animated Short Jul 27, 2014, 13:17 mellis

That was pretty damned good. Reminded me of the cutscenes from the Thief games (Dark Project, Metal Age and Deadly Shadows)  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Video Interview
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Video Interview Jul 13, 2014, 18:32 mellis

Quinn wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 22:47:
Meh, looks liike more of the same. Especially the combat. The guy was talking about the changes but what you saw in the vid was the same lame system that's been boring to me since AC1. And the double take-downs, with those same soundfiles *swip*(hidden blade out)-*splat*(plunging into necks).

Yup. I'm actually very much done with the franchise. Especially with those fucking dumb stories.

Yep; and

Redmask wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 11:01:
Combat looks like the exact same boring shit I've been seeing for years, pass.

Yep.

They are literally recycling the same game mechanics and story over and over. The awful combat mechanic and frankly tired story of Homicidal maniacs (Assassins) vs religious zealots (Templar's) is not only past it's sell by date, it should have been put out to pasture with a rifle bullet.

News Comments > Fortnite Trailer
3. Re: Fortnite Trailer Jul 8, 2014, 21:32 mellis

Is it just me or are games these days getting less and less imaginative? This looks like a clone of 'Orcs Must Die' - which itself was a pretty derivative Tower Defense game.

None of the Triple A studios seem to be even trying anymore. Everything is either an exact sequel (looking at you Ubisoft and the 'new' Assassins Creed), or clone of something already on the market.

Only the Indies seem to breathe any life or originality into gaming these days. Sad times.

News Comments > Hello Games "Would Like" to Bring No Man's Sky to PCs
4. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 09:55 mellis

This game has a massive number of red flags over it. How are they working through the complex questions of getting the various disparate elements to work well together? Everything I've seen so far is answered with "It's procedural". That's not an answer - sure, you might be able to spawn a sqillion monsters using your adapted Spore(tm) Monster Creator - but making them interact in a believable and enjoyable manner that contributes to the final product is not something any procedural generation code is going to come up with, unless they've basically distilled Darwin's Theory of Evolution into computer code...

Finally, the big question is if there is actually a game behind this pretty facade? Lest ye forget; remember the fawning adulation that the E3 demo of Watch Dogs was received with and the forgettable turd that ended up being delivered....

81 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo