Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mellis

Real Name mellis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mellis
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 19, 2012, 14:03
Total Comments 56 (Suspect)
User ID 57372

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
3. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 11, 2014, 18:24 mellis

Looks awful. Elite Dangerous is a far better looking product  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
11. Re: Saturday Consolidation Apr 6, 2014, 11:28 mellis

Graham wrote on Apr 5, 2014, 21:26:
Flat out wrong. It's never too little with the money that these guys can throw at things,[...]

But is it really worth it? I can't shake the feeling that the era of the consoles is over. This generation was just...underwhelming.

Those who want casual gaming and media platforms have migrated to smart phones and tablets, and those who want the full experience have (or are moving) to PC's.

I mean, you've got to hand it to Gabe Newell - Steam was probably the single biggest revolution for the PC market in no small part aided (ironically) by Microsoft and their harmonization of the Windows Driver Model in Vista+, which led to the stable and intuitive Windows 7 (I discount Windows 8/8.1 - which are excellent core OS's hampered by retarded UI).

If you look back over the last 10 years and see how far the PC has come in terms of usability (especially under Microsoft's OS's - but Linux derivatives - E.g. Ubuntu - have been doing their part too) and lowering the entrance barrier, it's pretty incredible.

Consoles now seem to occupy a sort of purgatory; Jack of all trades, Master of none.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
6. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 26, 2014, 21:53 mellis

I wonder if Facebook will pick up that start-up that's produced the arm bands that read your electrical impulses and drive on-screen arms.

It's the Thalmic Labs: https://www.thalmic.com/en/myo/ one I think

Edit: Infact - here it is coupled with the Oculus Rift - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f_bAXHckUY

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Announced
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Announced Mar 21, 2014, 14:18 mellis

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 12:53:
Meh, AC4 was good but the games are stuck in a rut. They need to totally change up the combat systems at a minimum and have less repetition in the side activities. AC4 would not have been well received without the fun distraction of the naval stuff.

Agreed, the combat is awful. You basically cannot lose since enemies only attack you one-by-one even when they surround you. Your character is more akin to a tank than an Assassin.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Trailer
1. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Trailer Mar 20, 2014, 18:55 mellis

For a scripted scene it looked pretty good. Pity the last card wasn't more truly reflective of Nazi nastiness - would have made it more authentic.  

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Layoffs
25. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 5, 2014, 07:03 mellis

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 23:05:
MajorD wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 20:40:

Have you even played the game? Whether it is Thief or not a Thief game, there is A LOT wrong with it!

Apart from the voices that randomly appear/repeat, what?

Jumping? or lack thereof. Pretty big problem for a protagonist involved in one of the most dexterous professions...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth
44. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 5, 2014, 05:42 mellis

It's an excellent game and worth the purchase price. The developers and South Park guys have clearly put a lot of effort into it.  

News Comments > Rush for Glory Announced
1. Re: Rush for Glory Announced Feb 10, 2014, 13:55 mellis

Is this deliberately supposed to look like they ripped off Games Workshop Warhammer 40K assets?  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
1. Re: Star Citizen Passes $38M Feb 5, 2014, 20:09 mellis

This guy seems to be making more money than a federal quantitative easing program  

News Comments > New Elite: Dangerous Backer MP Alpha
3. Re: New Elite: Dangerous Backer MP Alpha Feb 5, 2014, 18:49 mellis

Creston wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 17:45:
Gotta hand it to David, rather than just talking about it, he is actually MAKING Elite 4 now.

In other news, Amazon.com reports that they've shipped a large supply of ice scrapers to various addresses in Hell.

...and from the videos and feedback it actually looks pretty damned good. It'll be interesting to see how much more they add before releasing it.

Edit: Link to the Alpha Update 2 Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDWnBJYTFgs

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 18:56.

News Comments > Dark Souls II "Cursed" Trailer
3. Re: Dark Souls II Jan 15, 2014, 11:51 mellis

Jivaro wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 10:42:
I am a big fan of the series gameplay but...

Is it just me or did this video kind of make the game look sort of dated visually?

Thought exactly the same. Looks quite....angular with a fair few low-res textures to boot.

News Comments > Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered
23. Re: Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered Dec 11, 2013, 10:23 mellis

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 09:36:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 04:39:
So... what exactly is the problem here? If people are willing to give them more money to make the game even better, why is that bad? Sure, it will push the release back but if that results in a better game, is that really an issue?

Honestly, if you expect a Kickstarted game to meet its estimated release date, you haven't Kickstarted many games. Every single game I've Kickstarted has been delayed and in every case, this was to the benefit of the game. People complain about publishers pushing games out before they're ready and now they're complaining about crowd-funded games being delayed. Seems like developers just can't win.

You're talking about breaking a contract here, not a delay. There are potential legal repercussions here. You don't alter the deal after it's done. Only Darth Vader can do that. Pray he doesn't alter it further. If they're going to push the game back for this then I'm demanding a refund. Few things chafe me more than when people don't keep their word.

That would seem ... premature. If they deliver a piece of poo - but on time - would that make you happier? It takes at least 2 years (24 months) to push out a decent triple A game, and this was going to be no exception.

If they are forced to rush it, expectations will not be met, hopes ruined and you won't see another game like this for a while, especially not from a company that has come up with some excellent similar titles in this genre (looking at you Mask of the Betrayer).

Be patient, keep your toys in the pram and you'll likely get a worthy spiritual successor to Baldurs Gate, and if it sells well - the inevitable sequel will be oodles better.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
20. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 9, 2013, 13:31 mellis

Bodolza wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 12:21:
Yes, everyone buy a little bitcoin, so the one's we currently own go up in value. Everybody wins. Buy, buy, buy. Don't believe what they say. It is in no way a pyramid scheme.

In fairness, that's why I'd advocate you should only put down the bare minimum if you're not convinced. 20 USD seems a fairly reasonable sum to place a bet with - if nothing else then you can take the perspective that it's a giant ponzi scheme and that you're paying 20 USD to find out what all the fuss is about. Conversely, if you never try, you will never know.

17. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 9, 2013, 04:58 mellis

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 22:58:
If it's electronic it can be hacked, deleted, stolen, tracked and taxed. Thanks but that's why I'm a cash kind of guy. The less the government and big biz know about my spending habits the better. Why pay tax if you don't have to?

And yes, I still don't understand how these things have any real value if they're just pulled out of the ether. Whilst value is arbitrary and we all have to agree on a value, currency we use actually represents units of actual work performed. I give you an hour's labour and create XYZ and you give me X amount of dollars in return. A computer program stumbles across a random number and all of a sudden you've won the lottery? No sir, I don't like it.

All I can say is that I recommend all those on the fence give it a try with a very small amount of cash ($20 USD should be ample - especially if the whole thing goes south). It's a bit like the difference between someone describing a fantastic holiday destination to you and you actually going there yourself.

Some URI's if your interested in dipping a toe:

http://www.coinbase.com (USA - BUY BITCOINS. ONE OF THE SIMPLEST)
http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet (Bitcoin Wallet to store your Bitcoins on your PC/Mobile device)
http://blockchain.info (WORLD - Place to get a good online wallet to store your Bitcoins - most hassle free solution)
http://reddit/r/bitcoin (Bitcoin discussions etc - lot of nonsense too though)
http://localbitcoins.com (WORLD - BUY BITCOINS)
http://bitbargain.co.uk (UK - BUY BITCOINS)

There are many others, but that gives you a place from which to start (assuming you've been convinced).

12. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 8, 2013, 20:56 mellis

Creston wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 19:38:
Okay, that sort of makes sense, but where's the actual value in that? Why does it have value? What's the purpose of solving this puzzle? Why does it generate 25 bitcoins that currently apparently have hundreds of dollars of value to them?

What does this puzzle do? Is it being used towards some kind of large scientific project? Is it like the whole Seti @ Home thing in a way?

/still confused.

Thanks for the explanation, though, mellis.

The puzzle is basically a way of ensuring that everyone (aka The Bitcoin network) agrees the transaction has taken place and preventing fraud. Remember; Bitcoin is all digital so it's not like having a physical $5 note in your pocket that you could give once and only once to someone. Because its digital it means you could send the same Bitcoins to any number of recipients...and that's what the puzzle contributes to solving (among other benefits). Bitcoin is a revolution because it makes you unable to spend the same Bitcoins multiple times, despite the fact its completely digital and without the need of a central authority to ensure this.

Think about it like this, when you spend a physical $5 note, you can only hand it over once to the cashier in Walmart. When you transfer money from your bank online to your significant others account - the bank ensures you can't then transfer that same money to - say - one of your children. Mining and blocks that result from mining performs the same function. You can only spend Bitcoins you own once. When you think about it, it's conceptually brilliant.

With regards to value; none. Bitcoin has *no* intrinsic value. Libertarians and zealots will come up with rational/irrational answers as to why this is not the case, but ultimately; Bitcoin has no value other than that which people perceive. This of course is what gives rise to its extreme volatility and makes it one of the purest representations of human psychology. To paraphrase a famous saying "I perceive therefore it is" **

Having said that, what it offers is something truly unique in the financial system. A sea-change in financial management and flexibility for anyone - there are no entry barriers. One of the primary reasons it has caught on so well is because of the jaded view most of those in the rat race have of the incumbent and inflexible financial system (government bailouts, bankers bonuses etc).

Bitcoin is by no means perfect, there are a lot of unanswered questions about its suitability and survivability over the longer term *but* it is potentially the most disruptive financial technology to arrive since the advent of credit cards and digital money transmission.

I'd certainly recommend buying $20 USD worth of BTC (a tiny amount you wouldn't care to lose) to explore how it works. Once you have a better understanding, you'll be able to better appreciate its merits and shortcomings than my explanations could every convey.

** FOOTNOTE: That's not strictly true. The 'Darknet' markets (E.g. the infamous SilkRoad) offer wares and services denominated exclusively in Bitcoin. The 'Real Economy' if you will. Such marketplaces and the wares they offer ensure that there will always be individuals willing to pay for Bitcoins and not for speculative reasons but because they want to buy the goods and services that are denominated on these 'Darknet' markets (Black Market Reloaded, Silk Road 2.0, TorMarket etc - the lists are endless). This ensures that Bitcoins value with respect to say the USD, will never go to zero (unless something comes along that's better than Bitcoin).

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2013, 21:03.

10. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 8, 2013, 18:52 mellis

NeOCidE wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 18:26:
Creston wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 16:30:
Okay, can someone explain to me in short terms how exactly Bitcoins can be 'mined?' Because that really baffles me.

Me too.

Mining is nothing more than trying to solve a puzzle. The puzzle is basically {PROVIDED NUMBER} + {RANDOM NUMBER YOU GENERATE} <= { TARGET NUMBER}. You get the {PROVIDED NUMBER} and you know that your 'winning number' must be less than or equal to {A TARGET NUMBER}, and you can change {RANDOM NUMBER YOU GENERATE} to be whatever to get an acceptable answer. Technically the sum of {PROVIDED NUMBER} + {RANDOM NUMBER} are digested in a hashing algorithm and result of this must be equal too or below {TARGET NUMBER} - The hashing algorithm just takes a variable input, performs some complex maths on it and spits out a fixed length output (E.g. a number always between 1 and 10).

Anyway, whoever solves the puzzle first 'wins' and a block is created. As a reward for winning, they get 25 Bitcoins for free. In addition to this, the winner (the miner) must include any (or as many as they can fit) transactions that are UNCONFIRMED (It's called 'Proof of Work').

An UNCONFIRMED transaction is basically akin to you cashing a check into your bank account. Your bank will typically show the check immediately on your account, but you can't spend that cash until it clears. When a miner includes your transaction (akin to the check actually clearing), your transaction becomes CONFIRMED and the recipient in the transaction can spend those Bitcoins (In the check analogy, you can now spend the money that the check credited to your account). CONFIRMATION is basically an agreement from the entire Bitcoin network that the transaction took place and Bitcoins have been moved from one Bitcoin Address to another (kind of like how Fort Knox holds gold reserves for many countries. One country agrees with another to shunt a ton of gold (the transaction) and instructs a forklift in Fort Knox to actually move it from A's pile to B's. Once this has happened, the transaction is confirmed).

It's conceptually quite simple, and breathtakingly elegant. I'm by no means an advocate for Bitcoin, but what the guy (guys) who came up with it devised is frankly a revolution. There is a short video on http://weusecoins.com/ that's quite nice.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2013, 18:59.

9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 8, 2013, 18:39 mellis

skyguy wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 15:28:
mellis wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 15:13:
Remember; Bitcoin is mutable. The functionality and features that come under the 'Bitcoin' umbrella will likely differ significantly in the future from the current offering. Bitcoin now will not be Bitcoin tomorrow.

But, bitcoin is open source. If the user community doesn't like a feature change, they can simply refuse to use the new version of the software, and fork the source code. This almost happened recently, when the bitcoin developers wanted to hardcode in transaction fees (which are currently voluntary). There was a huge backlash in the community, and the devs backed down.

All true, but that wasn't really my point. I was trying to convey the fact that 'Bitcoin' is more than the sum of its original parts.

It'd be more accurate to compare 'Bitcoin' to the word 'car' rather than to say an 'Audi A5' - it's a broad spectrum of technologies with iterative improvements that seek to fix limitations and enhance functionality, and just as today's modern automotive bear little resemblance to their forebears, so the same should be true of 'Bitcoin'.

Improvements will continue until it fails or something better comes along.

4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 8, 2013, 15:13 mellis

Remember; Bitcoin is mutable. The functionality and features that come under the 'Bitcoin' umbrella will likely differ significantly in the future from the current offering. Bitcoin now will not be Bitcoin tomorrow.  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting
51. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 22, 2013, 22:08 mellis

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:56:
mellis wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:45:
Pfft. At least Project Eternity remains pure and untainted.

By going with realtime with pause...?

By being true to its spiritual roots....and going with Real-Time with Pause

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting
48. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 22, 2013, 21:45 mellis

Pfft. At least Project Eternity remains pure and untainted.  

56 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo