Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NegaDeath

Real Name NegaDeath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NegaDeath
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 2, 2012, 06:19
Total Comments 1646 (Pro)
User ID 57352

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > DuckTales: Remastered for PC This Summer
13. Re: DuckTales: Remastered for PC This Summer Jun 5, 2013, 01:46 NegaDeath

Loved the original game, hope they don't mess the in-game music up. Capcoms usually good at remixing old tracks though so it should be ok. For anyone who needed to feel a little older today, the original game came out nearly 24 years (jesus) ago. Or in other words nearly a quarter century.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Skyrim Legendary Edition
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Skyrim Legendary Edition Jun 4, 2013, 21:08 NegaDeath

And right back at the top of the Steam charts.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 17:39 NegaDeath

PHJF wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 16:26:
How about barring site entry to those uncouth swine who haven't deigned to read the books?

Sorry, Blue: hand in your keys on the way out.

What about people like me who haven't seen the show OR read the book ye....

*banned*

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 4, 2013, 14:27 NegaDeath

"Upgrading Windows from 1.0 to Windows 8 Pro."

Credit to Microsoft where its due that it actually worked. Not practical of course, and only really possible on a VM because of all the hardware changes to desktops over the years, but still impressive.

Also nostalgic as hell.

News Comments > Deus: Ex: The Fall Reveal Tomorrow?
18. Re: Deus: Ex: The Fall Reveal Tomorrow? Jun 4, 2013, 14:19 NegaDeath

nin wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 14:11:
Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 13:59:
Will it be good? Human Revolution was lackluster...

Ucrazy

He didn't ask for this.

News Comments > Deus: Ex: The Fall Reveal Tomorrow?
8. Re: Deus: Ex: The Fall Reveal Tomorrow? Jun 4, 2013, 11:59 NegaDeath

Hopefully its coming to next gen consoles, the memory limits of current gen really restricted Human Revolution. Still a fantastic game though, more please!  

News Comments > Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8
15. Re: Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8 Jun 4, 2013, 11:54 NegaDeath

Behold, Microsofts commitment to the PC as a gaming platform. A port of a smartphone game. I'm making a personal resolution to play the Benny Hill theme whenever Microsoft announces something.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 4, 2013, 11:18 NegaDeath

I'm surprised Quicktime is still a thing, haven't used that in years. Good riddance.  

News Comments > Dark Souls II Next March
24. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 3, 2013, 18:56 NegaDeath

KS wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 18:07:
Why the bleem do games even have checkpoints anymore? They were only needed on older consoles which had no save capability, and gave you a codeword so you could resume later.

They're developing for the masses here. Checkpoints are easier for the console crowd to understand than manual saves. If console gamers were fine with save file management they'd be using PC's. Its also easier on the developers to code, usually checkpoint saves occur in a safe area or a quiet period where they don't have to worry about tracking as much stuff or saving with the player in a bad situation (usually).

Old consoles didn't use checkpoints, those didn't really come about until the hard drive equipped consoles came out. Older systems had either passwords as you mentioned or battery backed saves to the cart or an external memory card. While I'm sure the battery is quite dead by now if I booted up my copy of Zelda 1 it lets me do a manual save, though it doesn't record player position.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 16:26 NegaDeath

From the way people gush about this game of thrones show I'm starting to think I should watch it.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
9. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 2, 2013, 03:28 NegaDeath

jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 22:28:
Yeah, I noticed very little difference moving from a Core 2 Duo to my current 3.5 GHz Core i5 Ivy Bridge. Almost no games max a proc these days. Spending on an SSD or a new graphics card is better bang for the buck.

Weird, I went from a Core2Quad 9400 to an i5 3570k (same GPU) and noticed a huge jump in some CPU heavy games. Notably Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, Sins of a Solar Empire and some emu's like PCSX2 and Dolphin.

50. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2013, 17:42 NegaDeath

Enahs wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 09:40:
The user interface does not have poor discover-ability, that is just silly.

Nothing silly about that, invisible controls have poor discover-ability.

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 15:42 NegaDeath

jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2013, 14:51:
Because we'll all replace our desktop computers at work with WinTabs. Who needs a keyboard?

WinTabs are old news. The future is Google Glass. Who needs a device you have to hold?

Google Glass is old news. The future is Intel Inside(yourbrain). Who needs to wear a device when we can implant a chip?

DESTROY ALL HUMANS

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 13:15 NegaDeath

Quboid wrote on May 31, 2013, 13:03:
That "Microsoft should stick to its guns and keep the Start button gone" article is bizarre.

Even the way he reasons that it shouldn't be added back (because it isn't consistent with metro) is a broken argument. Metro doesn't have a taskbar, right click context menu's, window controls, window overlapping, frequently used jumplist, etc. Its nothing but inconsistent with the desktop already.

Failing that argument there is precedent for maintaining an older interface paradigm either for compatibilities sake or for the users sake. Program Manager was famously dropped in 95 to vocal complaints. Yet it still existed and was accessible across multiple OS releases until Vista came out. And that is the difference between the old MS and the new MS, accommodating the customer vs accommodating themselves.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 11:44 NegaDeath

8.1 still doesn't sound like a product ready to be sold. Metro "apps" are years behind the desktop in functionality. Its still a bizarre Frankenstein hybrid of two opposing systems that neither talk to each other or control the same way. Adding a start button just to drop people into metro smacks of arrogance, probably the only thing MS is good at these days. They understood the complaint, they just made it easier for users to see the big "F U". When one of your major new features added is functionality "old" Windows has already had for over a decade you've lost the plot.

Regrettably when my SSD died recently (stupid crappy Vertex 2's) I had to install 8 instead of 7, after all these years and installs I couldn't get the key to activate over the phone without talking to a human. I needed to get it up and running so I bit the bullet. Metro is fully quarantined via 3rd party apps but there are still annoyances.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Box Not Empty
3. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Box Not Empty May 31, 2013, 11:15 NegaDeath

A tech chart maybe? Agreed though a waste for this game.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation May 30, 2013, 21:42 NegaDeath

The Xbox isn't THAT bad. The rectal security probe is purely optional.....as long as you do it once a week.  

News Comments > Mirror's Edge 2 Indications
14. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 Indications May 30, 2013, 15:55 NegaDeath

Parias wrote on May 30, 2013, 15:39:
vrok wrote on May 30, 2013, 12:02:
Expect coop multiplayer.

I hope - that'd be bloody awesome.

How about an endless escape multiplayer mode where the winner is the last person alive. Sorta like a mirrors edge coop version of canabalt?

But I can't see EA funding that if you can't shoot each other or level up.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Announced
23. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Announced May 30, 2013, 13:18 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on May 30, 2013, 12:47:
I will be honest and admit I wasn't aware that it required an internet connection during install (I assume it's for that online database of theirs?)

However, since the only place to get the drivers IS the actual internet, and I download and then immediately install them, the odds of this negatively affecting me somehow are probably one hundredth of a percent? I mean, even my shitty internet is unlikely to let me download the driver and THEN crap out.

But even if it did, I would still be able to play my games. I already have a driver installed, after all. So the upgrade/downgrade to my driver would just have to wait awhile.

Compared to SimCity which for the first week basically let nobody play, I'd say Nvidia is still far behind in online-only cocktardedness.

Creston

And even then it isn't all that surprising as there are numerous software packages out there that complete installation by connecting to the internet to download additional files. The directx installer for example has done that for awhile. I don't know why the nvidia drivers are phoning home but there is legitimate precedent for it. Honestly it sounds he's complaining that things don't work like in the DOS days.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 30, 2013, 11:17 NegaDeath

Using 2007 here, no desire to upgrade and figure out where they moved shit around to.  

1646 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo