Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NegaDeath

Real Name NegaDeath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NegaDeath
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 2, 2012, 06:19
Total Comments 2148 (Senior)
User ID 57352

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 22, 2015, 02:52 NegaDeath

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 21:44:
from what I can tell Facebook actually informs you when someone joins that it thinks is related to you, that's absolutely fucking creepy by the way ! (I do not use Facebook and never will) but that's what I heard....

What majorly creeped me out and kept me from joining years ago was receiving an email invitation to join facebook that listed some people I knew that were on it. I had never used the service and they already had that info on me. Facebook trackers (among others) are on a permanent block now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Feb 20, 2015, 12:01 NegaDeath

My only problem with CGI is with the film creators who don't respect it's limitations. I realize in technological terms this is ancient stuff but the burly brawl in Matrix Reloaded stands to mind as going too far. With modern CGI it's easier to hide the flaws but it isn't 100% there yet. So long as it doesn't trigger the "it looks fake" response I'm happy to watch.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 20, 2015, 11:43 NegaDeath

WaltC wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 11:15:
Yes, there's especially no way to know if the NSA's software is on your hard drive--because Kaspersky never mentioned the NSA or the USA by name--ever. Some lame-brain simply assumed it--and when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me...;)

From the article:

Kaspersky does not name the NSA in its report. Instead, it refers to those in charge of the spyware program as "the Equation group," noting that the same group was closely linked to Stuxnet.

Stuxnet, which came to light in 2010, was a computer worm developed by the NSA to sabotage Iran's nuclear program.

According to a report by Reuters, a former NSA employee "confirmed that the NSA had developed the prized technique of concealing spyware in hard drives, but said he did not know which spy efforts relied on it."

Feel free to dispute their conclusion.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Into the Black Feb 19, 2015, 21:02 NegaDeath

Cutter wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 19:40:
Incredibly well said....

Saw that comment on that site earlier and had the exact same thought you did. Unfortunately I also saw today that the "anti-terrorism" legislation is polling through the goddamned roof, with a good chunk of the populace wanting it to go even farther. No wonder the Cons have dropped the economy message and went full patriot act, people are eating it up. The useless Liberals are backing it and the rest of the opposition parties are going to take a major public beating for being against it. I can't help but shake my head.

News Comments > DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed
70. Re: DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed Feb 19, 2015, 11:22 NegaDeath

Slick wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 02:14:
I don't think anyone here has implied that this %900 would be expected to be found in GENERAL PERFORMANCE. I disagree that: "The worst" is not being realistically based on history. It's being based upon people inciting panic. As i've pointed out, %200-400 gains in FPS already exist (history), how is %900 a year later under ideal conditions not ENTIRELY PLAUSIBLE? If you really think this article is saying: "with DX12, you'll get 9000 frames per second in last year's Call of Dookie", then you need to get a grip.

-Article claims 900% FPS increase, no other details present.
-Collective groaning occurs. Multiple people point out it would only apply to specific situations.
-You chew out the doubters for not believing it.

By your actions you are making the claim we will see a 900% increase in general performance. If you don't actually believe that then maybe you shouldn't resort to bulldog mode the moment people say something you disagree with, such an attitude leads to misunderstandings.

All you've pointed out are big gains in a single synthetic benchmark on certain hardware configurations that haven't mapped out to a single real game yet, and is unlikely to in the future as the Anandtech article I linked to pointed out. They probably have more wisdom on the subject than anyone here so it's a good place to defer to.

Slick wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 02:14:
I don't understand the mentality of saying: "X will never happen, because this other time, X didn't happen" Guh, and you all get so emotional about it.

Well see here's the problem in a nutshell. Computing isn't magic. Performance gains have been historically incremental for a logical reason. Following that 20 year pattern is sensible. If you think they can magic up massive performance increases unseen since the introduction of 3d accelerators then all the power to you. Quit being an insufferable dick to those who don't.

38. Re: Into the Black Feb 19, 2015, 00:18 NegaDeath

Slick wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 22:05:
you cynics should really learn to check facts before checking your gut every time. it makes you come off as uneducated simpletons.

running star swarm with the an early build of mantle gave between %200-%400 FPS increase.

Speaking of fact checking, article from Anandtech testing Star Swarm on DX12. Impressive gains, particularly on certain hardware configurations, but nowhere near a 900% increase. Certain statistics like draw calls are vastly improved but that doesn't translate 1:1 with framerate. To quote the article:

"Star Swarm is first and foremost a best case scenario and demonstration for the batch submission benefits of DirectX 12. And though games will still benefit from DirectX 12, they are unlikely to benefit quite as greatly as they do here, thanks in part to the much greater share of non-rendering tasks a CPU would be burdened with in a real game (simulation, AI, audio, etc.)."

There's no reason to believe there's a miraculous ninefold increase in general performance coming. We've seen big claims many times in the past that are always cherry picked statistics that never pan out in the real world. What you over exaggerate as people declaring "the worst" is simply being realistic based on history.

18. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2015, 20:22 NegaDeath

I guess I'm too cynical to believe him, outside of very specific tests as others have mentioned. If even Stardock is making claims this grandiose it'll be interesting seeing the claims the GPU manufacturers make in the first batch of supporting drivers/games.

"17000000000% increase In Assassins Creed 17. Flux Capacitive AA mode now available."

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Multiplayer Revealed
19. Re: Mass Effect 4 Multiplayer Revealed Feb 13, 2015, 13:10 NegaDeath

I too enjoyed the multiplayer. The gameplay of the series was a good fit and it was surprisingly tense and difficult on higher settings.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 13, 2015, 10:23 NegaDeath

There are just so many ways to comment on this. I feel like a kid in a candy store and can't decide.  

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Trailer
5. Re: Just Cause 3 Trailer Feb 13, 2015, 10:21 NegaDeath

Rattlehead wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 09:48:
I could never get into these games.

While I appreciated the chaos of 2 it was too repetitive for me. Eventually I installed the superman mod to speed up travel just so I could finish it. Plus flying along while humming the John Williams theme was fun in it's own right.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
84. Re: Into the Black Feb 12, 2015, 21:06 NegaDeath

Christ, I get home from work and there's tinfoil everywhere.

DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:45:
Anyone who doesn't question what they believe daily is a moron.

It's also moronic to believe that philosophy should apply to all beliefs. Some things don't need to be questioned. The sun will rise tomorrow. Gravity will keep your feet on the ground. You will require food for sustenance. Your reflection will be in the mirror. And a medical treatment with two centuries worth of study and demonstrable success will continue to not be a scam, or cause autism, or turn your head into a cow (an oldy but a goody).

News Comments > Evolve Skin Costs Tallied
10. Re: Into the Black Feb 11, 2015, 22:34 NegaDeath

For a short time a season pass was supposed to include all DLC. Now cosmetic content is released outside it. How long until more serious content is split off into multiple season packs? Season pack 1, season pack 2, etc?

Crap, I think an executive somewhere read that and got a boner. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

News Comments > Rare Vets Plan Banjo-Kazooie Successor
6. Re: Rare Vets Plan Banjo-Kazooie Successor Feb 11, 2015, 14:14 NegaDeath

Late SNES/N64 era Rare was awesome for the time. If these "veterans" from that period can recapture some of the magic it might be interesting.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2015, 11:36 NegaDeath

I guess I'm fortunate my TV is old enough to not support microphone monitoring and ads while still being new enough to do everything I need (don't break!). Seems like there's an opportunity for someone here to sell a TV without stupid shit like this and make it a selling point.

Edit: Without having to resort to disabling the net connection entirely I mean.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 11, 2015, 11:31 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 10:40:
You know the committee that designed it spent roughly 10 minutes checking off boxes before they called it "done" and went to lunch.

Woah woah hold on there. You forgot the 30 minutes of planning the future DLC packs. THEN they go to lunch.

News Comments > Molyneux's Godus Breaking Promises
29. Re: Molyneux's Godus Breaking Promises Feb 11, 2015, 10:46 NegaDeath

Everything that needs to be said about the man has been said since, what, Black & White? Great ideas but poor execution.  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Feb 10, 2015, 22:58 NegaDeath

At least the show isn't shutting down like with Colbert. Too much shit going on and being ignored to lose both of them.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 10, 2015, 14:57 NegaDeath

Benefit of the doubt isn't something you ask for AFTER you get caught red handed. But I guess the same rules don't apply to politicians.  

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Evolve
3. Re: Ship Ahoy - Evolve Feb 10, 2015, 10:37 NegaDeath

nin wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 10:16:
Where's the popcorn, dammit?!

I demand blood!

Oooh can I start off?

*ahem*

Launch trailer is a preorder bonus for the Monster Edition. Purchasable at launch for $15, a $500 value! But in order to avoid splitting the userbase we allow other gamers to watch you watching the trailer. We're nice that way.

“2K and Turtle Rock Studios did a remarkable job delivering such a creative and ambitious DLC delivery system,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Evolve is a profitable and highly segmented experience that will define our bank accounts for years to come.”

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 9, 2015, 16:52 NegaDeath

The version skip from Windows 8.1 to 10 was successful in focus groups that thought the number jump indicated "better value". So they're doubling down and skipping versions 11 through 364 next time. Windows 6188 to follow in late 2019.  

2148 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo