Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NegaDeath

Real Name NegaDeath   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NegaDeath
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 2, 2012, 06:19
Total Comments 1891 (Pro)
User ID 57352

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered
12. Re: Into the Black Nov 21, 2014, 20:51 NegaDeath

Threadnaught III: The Reckoning

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 17:43:
If FD genuinely got like 60 million bucks in investor funds, why make such a big deal out of this? Presumably only 10% or so of people wanted a refund, which means you'd be out of ~ 200K.

And if it's only 0.1% of users like a few posters believe then the answer is stupidly obvious. After Ubi, EA and Microsoft (among others) all got publicly hammered for this kind of thing there's no excuse for not seeing this coming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
117. Re: Into the Black Nov 20, 2014, 21:02 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 18:39:
Maybe someone needs to explain to Laidlaw what level scaling actually means, because I don't think he quite gets it.

Oh no he understood. As you increase in level the dragons have more scales. PC gaming ftw!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Into the Black Nov 20, 2014, 20:24 NegaDeath

That's actually a really clever way of fighting the NSA. Good luck to him, he's going up against some very powerful opponents.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
124. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 17:17 NegaDeath

WaltC wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:05:
This sounds like much more worry about online DRM than it is about technical feasibility.

It does seem odd that there's all this work supposedly being done on the server that would be too time consuming for them to move to the desktop on a forked offline version of the client, yet only a tiny mount of data is actually being transmitted and received during solo mode. Too early to declare SimCity style shenanigans on that though imo.

113. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 20, 2014, 13:21 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 12:36:
Hahahaha, right. That explains the god-awful PC UI...

We'll see if they fix anything. I'm not holding my breath, but fortunately I've gotten used to the UI enough that I can play without it bothering me too much.

I'll never play a warrior in DA:I, though. That's the kind of stupid aggravation I can do without. Sadly, that means I'll never play a dual-wield rogue either, and that's my second-favorite class

Hey now they can only hire so many unpaid interns to test this stuff. And they're already too busy getting coffee, no time to play the companies own back catalog to see what worked.

The moment I knew it was time to quit and wait for patches was when my 2H Rogue used their leap slash move and jumped right past the enemy, doing no damage. Cause wtf's a lock-on? As an in-universe explanation I think my character has double vision.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
17. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 12:14 NegaDeath

Wildone wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 11:54:
If people have that shitty of a connection to the internet maybe they shouldn't be playing games online, since its probably 0.01% of the users Im sorry but tough luck there.

Quite right they shouldn't, and most likely they don't simply out of the frustration they would experience. And that's probably why they bought a game that the devs promised would have an offline mode. If it's only a tiny 0.1% of the users that are affected then giving them a refund should be the obvious and easy choice. Edit: And it would have avoided a lot of bad PR that didn't need to happen.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2014, 12:25.

106. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 20, 2014, 12:03 NegaDeath

Bioware's made a statement on the controls:

With the release of Dragon Age: Inquisition, we've been hearing a number of concerns from members of our PC community, including:

Driver support
Hitching and frame rate issues in cutscenes
Feedback on keyboard and mouse controls
General user interface optimizations for PC

We've been following these issues closely and are looking into them.

Player experience is a top priority for us. Our goal is to address as many of these as possible in our upcoming patches, including some in our next patch, which is underway. Well release further details in the coming days and will continue to monitor your concerns.

Your feedback is important to us, and we appreciate your contribution to making Dragon Age: Inquisition a better overall experience.

Low on specifics but at least they've acknowledged fixes are coming. I can wait I still need to finish my current Origins playthrough. And then finally, finally get around to playing 2 for the first time.

88. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 19, 2014, 13:05 NegaDeath

Went back to Origins to try and finish the campaign I started a couple weeks ago. Mouse click movement and auto-attack make things just so much simpler. You could control the whole game by mouse if you wanted to and it frees up more time to focus on the battle as a whole. Really hope they patch that stuff back in.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Optimization Plans
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Optimization Plans Nov 19, 2014, 10:28 NegaDeath

Translation: The game wasn't ready so we decided to do an unannounced public beta test during launch because some bean counter figured the holiday sales were more important than the PR hit.  

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 14:56 NegaDeath

siapnar wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 14:21:
I was thinking about getting the MSI 970 but my MSI 570 OC hasn't been all that stable.
Have you encountered any issues?

It's run perfectly so far but I've only had it for a month so that isn't much of a sample.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 13:22 NegaDeath

siapnar wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 13:00:
Darks what CPU do you have and what model of 970?

Not Darks but I've got it maxed out here too and it's sublime. I have a 3570k CPU OC'd to 4Ghz and the MSI 4G 970

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer
55. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 13:06 NegaDeath

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 12:55:
lol pervs!

It would be disrespectful to not admire the work the animator put in creating the assets (pun intended).

41. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 10:58 NegaDeath

Early impressions. Beautiful. Damned beautiful. I stopped to look down into the ice more than once the effect was so cool. Armor truly looks like polished shiny metal. Facial animations could be more expressive but the texturing is impressive. Runs pretty smooth at full detail on my 970 aside from cutscenes as others have mentioned. The changed controls are messing with my head, I keep going to pause and jump instead. Holding the button to attack really is annoying, I hope the inevitable patch will include the option to toggle classic mode. The intro is a little weird in how quickly they put you in charge. It'd be like if a person suspected of bombing the UN and killing all the world leaders was put in charge of the investigation because fuck it we don't know what to do and you have a glowing hand, seems legit. But I appreciate it doesn't drag on.

Also for the SSD concerns I checked my drive usage in samsung magician before and after and didn't notice anything significant, assuming it was tracking it properly.

23. Re: Into the Black Nov 18, 2014, 00:01 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 23:40:
Still sitting here waiting on that damn Play button to light up. :)

Boom, it's go time!

And just in time for bed. Surely 30 min wouldn't hurt, just 30.....

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
271. Re: Into the Black Nov 17, 2014, 21:56 NegaDeath

Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 20:58:
pray tell, how are my stats meaningless? what are we talking about here again?

Do you not comprehend that people have internet connections that turn off at random uncontrollable intervals and don't have much of a choice in ISP's to get around that? Or are you just trolling? At this point the latter seems obvious. Congrats, you got me to waste my time thinking I was talking to a rational person. I'm out.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2014, 22:12.

267. Re: Into the Black Nov 17, 2014, 20:52 NegaDeath

Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 20:16:
and just a friendly reminder:

http://imgur.com/FumUi1D

400 bytes per second bandwidth: online solo mode

Just a friendly reminder, the only person talking about bandwidth is you. Your stats are meaningless for the topic at hand. Gold star.

244. Re: Into the Black Nov 17, 2014, 16:44 NegaDeath

Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 12:06:
you have no idea that having to be online will require constant bandwidth saturation, and that any lost packet will mean being disconnected from your solo game.

I apologize, I guess you are that obtuse. The scenario you described happens now. Literally right now, someone is getting booted from the game due to a traffic hiccup. They get booted if it's a server hiccup too. It causes other problems too like odd delays in normal actions. It isn't hearsay, they're in the forums complaining about it. It's inevitable with a server model. The client communicates with the server constantly, even in "solo" mode. Again, low bandwidth as you said, mostly commodity pricing updates and the like. But like any server based game it isn't going to let you keep playing if it can't talk to you. I am so happy for you that you have perfect internet, way to go awesome internet guy. Your apparent lack of technical understanding that people can have trouble playing a game while still be able to post here keeps you from that gold star though. So close!

But you know what, you're right that nothing today has changed. As long as tomorrow never comes then they never really changed anything right? If they abandoned the plans for walking outside your ship that wouldn't really be a change either since we don't have it yet. Screw it, scope changed and it's too hard to do, *delete*. Don't complain though, gamers complain too much and therefore deserve what they get.

And shit, people actually care that the game they paid for won't irrevocably be disabled in the future? Man those kinds of people are straight up crazy! That's like, years from now. Who could possibly care about that?

"Im always concerned with games that are server-based that you cant then play them after the publisher or whoever turns the servers off. Well structure it in a way that you could play it entirely locally, so it would survive time if that makes sense. - David Braben

Oh. Ohhhhh.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 17, 2014, 12:20 NegaDeath

Wheeler thinks Obama goes too far. Congress thinks Wheeler goes too far. The industry think any regulation goes too far. And because of that nothing will be done.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 11:27 NegaDeath

Pigeon wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:36:
I do have to agree with the sentiment that calling it Windows 10 is a bit absurd. I can only imagine it was the idea of some marketing executive with an, 'it goes to 11', mentality. I'll hold of judgement on whether or not it should actually be 8.2

I thought someone posted that it was because of some legacy code in certain software that checks the windows version a dumb way and would see Windows 9 as being 95/98? Maybe that wasn't true?

185. Re: Into the Black Nov 17, 2014, 02:18 NegaDeath

Slick wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 23:45:
correct. if people are hellbent on playing solo in this game, then they can do so with whatever server checks it requires, which i can't see being more bandwidth than loading 9 pages of this lolthread. and even if they played multiplayer, bandwidth in videogames is remarkably small. a voip app carries way more data. so even if you're literally in the bottom %1 of internet speeds, you'll be just fine. you should probably worry more about how the hell you're going to download the game in the first place.

I know you aren't this obtuse. You don't see the difference between browsing the internet and maintaining a constant connection to keep the game stable? You don't understand that someone with a spotty connection could read blues, even download the game, but get kicked out of the game constantly because of disconnects? You haven't seen any of the studies on net coverage and how shitty some areas are across North America? No not a submarine or jungle or desert base on the other side of the world, actual towns on this continent. You don't understand that a game is far more sensitive to internet issues than a browser is? You compare it to voip's needs but only talk about the data throughput, you don't acknowledge how signal instability can lead to a frustrating experience with broken words and other audio abnormalities and how that too can be a comparison. After the public backlash that Ubi, EA and Microsoft all received for their online only singleplayer schemes at various points in the past you still think it doesn't actually affect anyone?

Scratch that last part you defended EA during the SimCity online-only mess too. You had similar responses back then, anyone who had an issue you said was lying or it's too niche to matter.

Technical stuff aside maybe someone wanted to play this game down the road again a decade or more later. Unless Frontier changes their plans it's permanently dead when the servers go down. Or maybe people wanted offline so they could have produced or used mods, as PC gamers tend to do. Modders have made some awesome stuff in the past, rivaling or even sometimes exceeding the quality of the content that ships with the games. A total conversion pack to one of the popular sci-fi IP's would have been pretty great in this engine. Those plans are shot. I noticed you brought up gay marriage as a comparison earlier. Funny thing about that, part of the solution is people who are not personally affected by the laws sympathizing with those who are. I'm happy it doesn't affect you. But I'm also sorry for the people who will be affected for technical reasons, or for those who backed it because of the offline mode promise for various reasons. Hopefully Frontier acts honorably when it comes to refunds over the next few weeks.

1891 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo