Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quinn Disoinne

Real Name Quinn Disoinne   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quinn
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 16, 2012, 17:04
Total Comments 934 (Graduate)
User ID 57334

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief System Requirements
77. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 21, 2014, 01:21 Quinn

Jerykk wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 22:59:
Quinn wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 15:31:
Beamer wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 11:09:
Verno wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 09:30:
I'm willing to give the new Thief a chance, manual jumping in Thief is really not a make it or break it feature. There are far more important things like AI, the stealth system functionality and so on.

Manual jumping will feel limiting at first, but it wouldn't break a game for me at all.

Someone complained that it just lets you go where a level designer wants you to. In some cases, this can be a good thing. If the level designer puts something in too weak to hold weight, then you can't go on it, whereas in the original Thief I remember running on things that would in no way be silent.

If it has a press-space-to-climb feature, like Far Cry 3, I can see it being fine. Disorienting for the first 30 minutes, then a non-factor.

This is the stuff I don't get. At all.

Because a game gets allot of critique for very ligitemate reasons, osme people decide to get uncharactistically tolerant. We're talking about the removal of manual jumping in a first person Stealth game here! Sure, the game can be alright, but the removal of manual jumping is still the most retarded decision ever. Also, finding your own crazy route was a huge factor of what made Thief 1 and 2 and even 3 so interesting. It motivated the player to explore and try all kind of crazy stuff to get past obstacles. If it ended up with Garrett doing something outright impossible.. who cares? It was fun.

Oh, but people get tired of the critique.. so even the most retarded decision isn't all that bad now. Its laughable.

Thief was never Minecraft. There were a finite number of ways to enter and move through any building and the paths you could take were explicitly defined by the designers. If they didn't want you to go somewhere, they'd simply add collision. If they didn't want you to use your rope arrows, they'd simply not place any wooden beams. I have yet to see a single example of genuinely emergent gameplay (gameplay that was never intended or foreseen by the designers) that resulted from the ability to manually jump. If manual jumping made Thief the pinnacle of emergent gameplay, surely you can list just one specific example of that? If we were talking about the original DX, I'd agree with you. But Thief was never as open-ended as DX and never had even a fraction of its emergence.

Out of curiosity, did you also complain about the lack of manual jumping in Bulletstorm? Or any other first-person game? If so, I think the issue lies with you, not the games. Demanding that every first-person game have manual jumping is about as silly as demanding that every first-person game have leaning, iron sights, sprint or whatever other mechanic you arbitrarily decide is essential.

Its too long ago to come up with any examples. However, I do remember shooting multiple rope arrows creating a path, I climbed on one and jumped to the other and so forth. Good chance it resulted in absolutely no progress, but that wasn't the point. The point was 1. that it was fun and 2. that even the mere illusion of "out-thinking" the developers made the game feel less on rails. After all, the removal of said illusion can maybe even be defined as a game being on rails. If you don't get that, I'm wasting my time here.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 20, 2014, 15:31 Quinn

Beamer wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 11:09:
Verno wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 09:30:
I'm willing to give the new Thief a chance, manual jumping in Thief is really not a make it or break it feature. There are far more important things like AI, the stealth system functionality and so on.

Manual jumping will feel limiting at first, but it wouldn't break a game for me at all.

Someone complained that it just lets you go where a level designer wants you to. In some cases, this can be a good thing. If the level designer puts something in too weak to hold weight, then you can't go on it, whereas in the original Thief I remember running on things that would in no way be silent.

If it has a press-space-to-climb feature, like Far Cry 3, I can see it being fine. Disorienting for the first 30 minutes, then a non-factor.

This is the stuff I don't get. At all.

Because a game gets allot of critique for very ligitemate reasons, osme people decide to get uncharactistically tolerant. We're talking about the removal of manual jumping in a first person Stealth game here! Sure, the game can be alright, but the removal of manual jumping is still the most retarded decision ever. Also, finding your own crazy route was a huge factor of what made Thief 1 and 2 and even 3 so interesting. It motivated the player to explore and try all kind of crazy stuff to get past obstacles. If it ended up with Garrett doing something outright impossible.. who cares? It was fun.

Oh, but people get tired of the critique.. so even the most retarded decision isn't all that bad now. Its laughable.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

45. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 19, 2014, 15:54 Quinn

Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 14:30:
Jer, have you actually played the original games, much less enjoyed them? It sure doesn't seem like it. Otherwise we have zero idea how you can be defending how they're trashing this property. Do you work for these guys in some capacity? Seriously.

I wonder this, too. We always critisize games that haven't been released yet. It's nothing unique nor is it generally frowned upon. When we're proven wrong once the game is actually out, we simply stand corrected. You, Jerykk, normally do this as much as the average Joe in here. For some reason you made up your mind to just... somehow defend this game, for some inexplicable reason -- after all, you don't even bash their decision to remove manual jumping.

It's really not that impressive to be the minority, in this case.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

39. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 19, 2014, 08:04 Quinn

Also, removing the Hammerites? Oh wait, they removed the manual jump function. There's really nothing more atrocious than that.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the game will be fun and alright. People will simply forget the point of us "pessimists" because of it.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

13. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 19:02 Quinn

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 18:08:
i7 quad? As if an i5 quad wouldn't cut it?

That part of the req list actually received an ill-conceived laugh from me. Nice to see you point it out. Ridiculous.

The ONLY(!!!!!!!) reason I'm looking forward to this game is because if I wouldn't, I'd only be looking forward to The Witcher 3 and Watch_Dogs this year. The exact same I can say about Watch_Dogs, actually. I feel like I'm one of the few people who realizes that we're in a gaming crisis and we haven't seen the worst of it yet. The lack of high quality games that have come out lately and are coming out make me seriously consider dropping my gaming hobby. Throwing away 1,2k for a new PC every 3 or 4 years definitely won't be worth it anymore...

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > The Wolf Among Us Episode 2 Next Month
9. Re: The Wolf Among Us Episode 2 Next Month Jan 16, 2014, 04:19 Quinn

This episode stuff really and utterly sucks. It truly has no benefits. I bought S1 of WD when it was complete so I had no idea how hard it would suck. Now I do. Bah.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Ending
7. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 17:10 Quinn

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:18:
Panickd wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:14:
His theory is that any developer will eventually be able to put their games on Steam.

And won't that make Steam so wonderful to attempt to buy things from...

It'll basically turn it into any app store. Where there's a few good things buried amidst millions of pieces of crap.

Took you people a while to figure that out didn't it? Been saying it and seeing it coming for months.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites
38. Re: More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites Jan 13, 2014, 15:21 Quinn

Damn, (melee) combat needs allot of work! There's no sense/feedback of impact at all

Atmosphere is amazing. I was in on Elsweyr, Tamriel. Music was ES worthy. Character looks are great -- especially the Khajiiti and Argonians.

I hope they want to put a few 100k's of dollars into improving the melee combat, though. That was just... mediocre, perhaps.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2014, 17:40.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > New Hitman Absolution Mission
3. Re: New Hitman Absolution Mission Jan 9, 2014, 11:33 Quinn

If only they implemented a proper save system. I wonder what retard made the final call to use a checkpoint system for one, and two a system that if you reload a checkpoint ALL THE GUARDS YOU TOOK DOWN EARLIER ARE BACK!!! HAHAHAHA it's like the punchline of the worst fucking joke ever! Then again, that's maybe exactly what Hitman Absolution is.

No proper save system removes the practical ability to experiment with different approaches and playing around with the AI. Also, it made the player the victim of dumb bugs in level design and enemy AI.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
23. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jan 9, 2014, 09:33 Quinn

Still have the occasional driver crash. Have to underclock the card just a little tad sometimes. Still unsure if it's hardware or software related. Guts say hardware since day 1.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites
32. Re: More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites Jan 8, 2014, 12:28 Quinn

I almost get the idea absolutely everyone who signed up for it got an invite All my friends did, I did, most of you guys did ...  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Announced
2. Re: Alien: Isolation Revealed Jan 7, 2014, 11:59 Quinn

What rational person pre-orders anyway? Unless you somehow care more for the bonus material you get with a pre-order -- that more often that not break a game's balance! -- than you care for the steep price and the good possibility of the game turning out to be crap, you should never pre-order a game. Ever.

Pre-orders.
No pros. Just cons.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M
9. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 11:38 Quinn

DIMINISHING RETURNS, PEOPLE! Jesus Christ! A space sim will only be so good.

Sure, in the end there will be hundreds of different space ships flying around but that will only make the variation less interesting. "What is he flying in?" "Don't know, don't care." "Hmm, this."

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs
16. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 12:40 Quinn

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:32:
Quinn wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:57:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:51:
Is the Definitive version the one where they remove most QTE's?

You obviously haven't played the game with that pre-release hipster attitude.

So it changes after the first 1/2 hour?

It changes to an extend that I don't even remember any QTEs past the first half hour.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs
7. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 11:57 Quinn

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:51:
Is the Definitive version the one where they remove most QTE's?

You obviously haven't played the game with that pre-release hipster attitude.

Task wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:56:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:40:
First to say FUCK 'EM!

Seconded... and I bought the 'regular' PC Edition when it was on sale.

Although it says, "at this time a PC update is not planned," I hardly think it would take much work to release an enhanced edition. Modders 'enhance' games for free for christs' sake.

I wish more companies were like CD Project, they release enhanced editions for FREE for original owners of the games.

Don't really understand the hatred here. I was extremely pleasantly surprised when the full game came out. It's definitely a good game. It looks good; it plays well and this version of Lara is very interesting -- any mainstream boy would've "objectified" Lara, but in this game it's actually just a woman trying to survive a hostile environment. The PC version was already very solid with no need for gamebreaking bug fixes. Who cares they don't release a Definite Edition for the PC, where the biggest part of its improvement is the graphics.. which are still better on a good gaming PC.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2014, 12:03.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > Steam, Origin DDoSed?
50. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 20:35 Quinn

As Steam actually said, I thought I had til the end of the sale to "get my cards"... as in, those I didn't have yet... as in "buy some more games!". I figured I'd just trade around after the sale when I got the actual time; get my badge later.

I feel screwed. It's actually the decisive factor to just not give a shit about any badges anymore.

As for the sale: It's been a big meh. Not Steam's fault, I guess. Due to the lack of actual big titles, Steam had to do it with months old titles and crappy indie fillers. Man, last year I woke myself up at night to check out the latest sales. The contrast is astonishing.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > On Sale
50. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 21:20 Quinn

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 16:33:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 15:24:
Really? I heard that Leviathan has some pretty significant story stuff too.

Not really.

spoiler: Leviathan basically tells you that the Reapers are a broken tool that they put into place to try to prevent organics and synthetics going to war, and then it turned on them.

Which isn't all that much different from what the Catalyst tells you, but hey, it's hard to do much with a shitty story premise.

Oh, this reminds me of them great memes that popped up from everywhere after the ME3 crap.

"Reapers are built to annihilate organics and synthetics, so that organics and synthetics don't end up annihilating eachother."

That's just dumb writing.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > On Sale
25. Re: On Sale Dec 26, 2013, 21:14 Quinn

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 18:26:
nin wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 15:50:
Prez wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 15:47:
I just realized I STILL don't have FC Blood Dragon. Has it been on sale on Steam yet this season? (Not that the $15 normal price is all that out of reach!)

WTF PREZ?!?!?

How can you say no to this?

I actually found the game very distracting - and couldn't finish past the first 30 minutes....I had just finished a very lengthy 100% play through of FC3 though.....

That actually isn't so strange. Blood Dragon is fucking overrated, with a large group of enthousiasts being just silly with their irrational fanboism. Granted, I'm probably one generation later than most on here (1985) so there's no nostalgia involved in my verdict of the game.

Some ppl like crazy, purple lasershit and illuminating T-Rex's walking around better than the rather realistic, beautiful tropical island setting the original game is. Somehow. It's just silly enthousiasm really. Just really silly.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > New Year's Eve with Batman
9. Re: New Year's Eve with Batman Dec 24, 2013, 20:21 Quinn

Can't wait for a new Arkham game! I'm one of the people that loved Arkham Origins. The game wasn't as perfectly polished as its predecessors but it is still a damn good game.

That cutscene where Batman lashes out on his butler who's being too protective of him is still one of the most moving cutscenes in gaming history. The voice acting was absolutely amazing. "When a thug thinks twice before hurting an innocent person, that's because of FEAR. I AM that fear!" or whatever, and so on. Man, I loved that part. I wanna replay the game for it. xD

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

News Comments > Christmas Eve Consolidation
9. Re: Christmas Eve Consolidation Dec 24, 2013, 17:55 Quinn

Since nobody really reads the general forum:

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

934 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo