Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simon Says

Real Name Simon Says   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 12, 2012, 10:27
Total Comments 275 (Amateur)
User ID 57330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 12, 2014, 09:13 Simon Says

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 20:58:
I'm not sure how AT&T will fix the issue. It's not even remotely reasonable to run fiber to each home if they're a mile apart, but DSL signal falls apart at around 5000 feet. Bonded pair lets them push surprising speeds at 5k, but the dropoff is still swift at longer distances.

Cable companies are honestly better suited for it, but the number of amplifiers required to get signal that far would mean a high noise floor, giving people zero headroom if there was even the tiniest hint of signal intrusion. And intrusion is more common the longer the feed, so it's pretty much impossible.

The only technically POSSIBLE solutions are:
1: Fiber to the home, which is actually cheaper than the second option:
2: fiber to local nodes, which feed 5-6 customers

Local nodes that convert signal from fiber to multi-connection DSL/cable/uverse(VDSL) are stupid expensive, and not even remotely cost effective for less than around 200 customers.

So this SHOULD force companies wanting the subsidies to install FTTH for rural customers. I'd almost bet they dump the subsidy to avoid the buildout/maintenance cost. Lines run rurally are usually aerial, and can have miles unprotected by trees. Fiber's main weakness is that it's incredibly fragile in the cold, I'd expect lines to crack every winter. No customer will pay enough to keep that profitable.

Meh, I see it differently... They'll either tell everyone that since sattelite and wireless can already do 10mbps, that they're covered already. OR They'll ask corning and co. to work on cold resistant fiberoptic cables and finally get their shit together.

I tend toward the former, since its much, MUCH cheaper for them to just make this claim, pat their collective backs and laugh all the way to the bank.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Omega Released
9. Re: AMD Catalyst Omega Released Dec 9, 2014, 16:33 Simon Says

NetHead wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 12:04:
I have to say I don't like this yearly release for drivers they're on about, I want to say it's short sighted but guess obtuse is a better word.

It sounds like one will either have to wait for the yearly update or use a beta driver for any of a plethora of reasons, keeping in mind they love pointing out their beta drivers are "not supported".

{PH}88fingers wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 10:54:
just installed these on my system-sapphire vapor-x r9 290. not sure if I should risk turning hardware acceleration back on in browser-vids and risk the blue screens or not to see if they fixed it.

If you do turn it back on without problems maybe post about it (including browser/versions/etc). I've been sticking with v13.12 because it gives me the fewest problems, the BSODS on v14.4 with things as simple as browsing/videos was the last straw for me and haven't risked updating again.

Unless AMD has all their driver related problems sorted by the time I get my next card it will be nVidia. My last 6-7 cards have been ATi/AMD normally due to price/performance but I really am tired of there always being at least 1 thing wrong with each driver.

GrenadesNHam wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 11:30:
Anyone else annoyed at the use of Omega since omega drivers have been a thing (omegadrivers.net)...

The moment I read Omega I thought about Omega Drivers, was great using them. If I remember right didn't ATi and Omega Drivers have some kind of spat/problem and he stopped doing ATi drivers, maybe it was nVidia, can't remember.

Either way I think using that name is a rather shitty thing to do.

Been running the 14.4 on a HD5850 now for months, not a single problem be it with browsers/vids or games.

Your mileage may vary I guess.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 24, 2014, 11:53 Simon Says

What a bargain heh? XD  

News Comments > Alienware's "PC Gaming Console"
6. Re: Alienware's Nov 21, 2014, 18:14 Simon Says

Aka "Dumbed down PC". Stop dumbing down everything, smarten the people instead...  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 11, 2014, 00:51 Simon Says

Yep, not to mention the tsunami that provoked Fukushima also had a nasty long lasting effect on conventional platter HDD prices.  

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Into the Black Nov 7, 2014, 01:10 Simon Says

JJ Abrams? *Brace yourselves* *Lens flares, lens flares everywhere!*  

News Comments > The Sims 4 Adds Pools
5. Re: The Sims 4 Adds Pools Nov 4, 2014, 21:42 Simon Says

*Removes exit later and puts a wall around the pool* Here comes the drowning sims...  

News Comments > EVE Online Phoebe Update Next Week
5. Re: EVE Online Phoebe Update Next Week Oct 29, 2014, 18:39 Simon Says

Moog wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 16:27:
garrywong wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 14:20:
All of these improvements are very nice indeed, but none of them are going to bring me back into the game until the time I can once again roam null-sec with my pack of friends without having stupid "lolol hotdropped noobs" and other such shit that came with the introduction of capital ships. It completely threw the whole game out of balance.

Well, you're in luck, as next week's patch nerfs/fixes jumping with the long distance travel changes listed here... Eve - Phoebe

Basically, jump range limited to 5 LY for the majority of Capitals and ghastly cooldowns added to the jumpee ("jump fatigue"). Although, Capital ships will now be able to use gates in low and null.

I doubt you'll get hotdropped now - they'd have to be in-range and willing to use their cooldown on you.

False, read CCP's blog, the cooldown will only count if the pilot jumps, they can still make bridges cooldown free as long as they don't jump themselves. So you will STILL GET HOTDROPPED. Cheers!

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam
19. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam Oct 21, 2014, 16:36 Simon Says

Lolll  

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam
7. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam Oct 21, 2014, 11:18 Simon Says

Nooooooo!

Steam on capped broadband = total crap.

I reinstalled x-com enemy unknown the other day, I would've needed a friggin 8 GIGABYTES download to even get started and finish the installation. On a 20 gigs monthly cap its a no go. On GFWL at least the whole game would've been on the disc and no additional download would be necessary.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2014, 10:59 Simon Says

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 10:45:
Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 00:11:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 20:23:
Cutter wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 19:24:
Oh this could never be abused by the gubment.
Rolleyes

I am more concearned about Facebook...

My wife had her privacy "ah-ha" moment. She had a friend pass away recently, so she uploaded a bunch of photos from 20 years ago - and it tagged and linked everyone in the picture that was on Facebook automagically. It took her by surprise and freaked her out a bit....

Yeah, but FB can't arrest you, hold you indefinitely and ship you off to Gitmo.

Some Gen X and Gen Y (and whatever the teenie boppers are called) would think it is the same thing if their account was deleted or blocked.

And seriously Cutter - are you really that worried about being arrested or detained? sheesh.....

The level of naivetée in this post is off the scale 0_o.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2014, 10:48 Simon Says

"iPhone 6 Breaks Pre-Order Record" in other news... "Kool-aid sales at an all time high"  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 10, 2014, 17:08 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 16:43:
Tomorrow's laptops could dock and charge without a single wired connection.

Is it just me, or does the thought of having a 100 watt magnetic induction field sitting on the desk a few feet from my nads for 8 hours a day make anyone else nervous?

*Raises hand*

As for SAMSUNG phones being too big, 5 inches is perfect, just get a leather holster. I have one for a S4 and had one for the S1 too, it works quite nicely. I prefer the vertical holsters, but I guess some people could be better served by an horizontal, try it before you buy it.

News Comments > Next Total War Reveal This Month
9. Next Total War Reveal This Month = Total War: The Search For More Money Sep 9, 2014, 21:57 Simon Says

Next title...

Total War: The Search For More Money

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2014, 19:22 Simon Says

Julio wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 16:21:
I would think no matter how horrible Windows 9 is, it has to be better than 8. So a free Windows 9 will move almost all of those Windows 8 users over. Won't get those sticking with Win 7 though...

If 9 is anything like 7, a lot of the early adopters will be power users, technicians and repair guys, which means that like 7, it'll get favorable word of mouth and probably spread like wildfire, if it doesn't, it'll be 8 all over again.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 31, 2014, 17:57 Simon Says

Redmask wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 15:37:
ForgedReality wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 12:58:
Dumb rumor. Why would they skip 800 series? Won't happen. It's gonna be 20nm too, I don't care what your grandmother heard. >:O

Supposedly they want to just align the model numbers with the mobile variants (980M) to avoid marketplace confusion.

Which paradoxically creates more confusion between a 980m which is a LOT SLOWER than a desktop 980. A lot of people I know get surprised when I tell them. Same thing that hapenned back then when the core 2 duos were released in the 7000 range in the mobile space instead of the desktop 6000 range and a lot of people argued the mobile was faster even tho it had less cache, less mhz, were exactly the same achitecture and couldn't use as much power.

I swear the number of times I had to shake my heads at the stupid...

News Comments > Total War: Rome 2 Free & Paid DLC Today
3. Re: Total War: Rome 2 Free & Paid DLC Today Aug 15, 2014, 12:48 Simon Says

Slashman wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 11:24:
Simon Says wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 10:59:
Cool, but now... How about actually fixing the game already? No?

Didn't the last patch address siege AI properly? What is still missing?

That was just 1 issue out of the countless others at release... 1 year, 1 issue solved. By 2050 the game should be about playable!

News Comments > Total War: Rome 2 Free & Paid DLC Today
1. Re: Total War: Rome 2 Free & Paid DLC Today Aug 15, 2014, 10:59 Simon Says

Cool, but now... How about actually fixing the game already? No?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 29, 2014, 23:09 Simon Says

1$ per gb? Not a big deal? O_o

Do you even know how much it costs them after amortization per GB? The profit % is insane. Yet they want MORE while saying to most people still not covered by fiber ( and who should be, considering the US gov paid 3500$ per american household to the ILECs the get everyone on FTTH ), well either you go dialup or... you can go wireless ( which is probably where the subsidies for the "FTTH everyone plan" went )! FOR MORE INSANE PROFIT MARGINS and CRAPPIER SERVICE!

And they call this... progress! YAY!

Stop drinking the kool-aid, pretty please?

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Empathy For Virtual Characters Studied With FMRI Brain Imaging Jul 24, 2014, 20:54 Simon Says

"Empathy For Virtual Characters Studied With FMRI Brain Imaging"

Not really surprised... I healthily produced tears in a few good RPGs.

275 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo