Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simon Says

Real Name Simon Says   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 12, 2012, 10:27
Total Comments 346 (Amateur)
User ID 57330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
1. Video game link to Alzheimer's?…. May 20, 2015, 09:10 Simon Says

Video game link to Alzheimer's?…

Well, as long as they don't continue to poison us with aluminium, videogaming should be fine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
46. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 18:59 Simon Says

christheshitter wrote on May 19, 2015, 16:59:
Simon Says wrote on May 19, 2015, 10:13:
Amd drivers being "horrible" was true 10'ish years ago, but its now an argumentum ad populum and ad antiquitatem. I've had a HD5850 for the past 5 years now, I used many different driver versions, not a single hitch. Same for the previous 9600 pro years ago just before I got a Nvidia 9600GT for a few years before switching to HD5850. Same for many people I know who use Amd cards.

In fact, I still get called in my spare time to fix PCs even tho I left my old job as a full time technician, I saw no noticeable difference in issues with the different vendors.

My uncle who still works as one and gets to see and fix hundreds if not thousands of PCs a year tells me that there is no noticeable difference either in the number and seriousness of issues with Nvidia and Amd drivers. So do many other technicians I know.

Internet's old history, our memories and the appeal to the masses logical fallacies says one thing, reality tells quite another story tho.

Without a singel hitch? Are you kidding me? Just go and view some 60fps youtube videos at 1080p and you will get a stutterfest!

Nice strawman there... But no, never had any problems viewing high def ( including 1080p at any framerate ) either on youtube, WMP or VLC and never heard of anyone having any problems either with amd cards for simple video playback.

15. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 10:21 Simon Says

Drayth wrote on May 19, 2015, 10:15:
So you have PhysX which only runs off the CPU in this game (I saw a post from an NVIDIA rep stating that even having a dedicated card, it will still only run off the CPU with W3). Everything else is optional, I believe.

So yes, they can't optimize those optional Gameworks features for AMD. Turn all those off and the game should run on the two sets of cards as evenly as anything else.

Also, I firmly believe that AMD is taking this open source route because they have to. It's their best way of competing against NV with their current low market share. If things were more 50/50 I'd bet they'd be a lot more protective of their own tech. Mantle, for example, never actually became open to NV (not that they would have implemented it).

You have no idea how Project Cars works do you? If you do your research, you'll find that PhysX features can't be turned off, without PhysX, the engine can't run and only disabling a few would change the way the cars behave and thus you would have CHEATING. And what's more, in an earlier version, it worked fine, until Nvidia asked them to add more features related to physics into the game, then Amd's performance went to hell.

Seriously, do your research.

11. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 10:13 Simon Says

Amd drivers being "horrible" was true 10'ish years ago, but its now an argumentum ad populum and ad antiquitatem. I've had a HD5850 for the past 5 years now, I used many different driver versions, not a single hitch. Same for the previous 9600 pro years ago just before I got a Nvidia 9600GT for a few years before switching to HD5850. Same for many people I know who use Amd cards.

In fact, I still get called in my spare time to fix PCs even tho I left my old job as a full time technician, I saw no noticeable difference in issues with the different vendors.

My uncle who still works as one and gets to see and fix hundreds if not thousands of PCs a year tells me that there is no noticeable difference either in the number and seriousness of issues with Nvidia and Amd drivers. So do many other technicians I know.

Internet's old history, our memories and the appeal to the masses logical fallacies says one thing, reality tells quite another story tho.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse May 19, 2015, 06:37 Simon Says

Also for your education:

gizmodo.com/why-americas-internet-is-so-shitty-and-slow-1686173744

16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 19, 2015, 06:33 Simon Says

WaltC wrote on May 18, 2015, 11:40:
Yeah, gosh, that must be why in a US city where I can choose between AT&T and Comcast that I was able to choose a third alternative (a Cogent ISP) that is providing me with ~50Mb/s down and up for less than what Comcast was charging me for 6Mb/s d/512k u in 2010. It must be because "the cable monopolies are deliberately holding me hostage to the slowest Internet on the planet," of course...;)

A whole argument based on a logical fallacy... Like I've never seen this before...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_composition

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization May 14, 2015, 06:36 Simon Says

Fantaz wrote on May 13, 2015, 21:44:
need to find a nice deal on this device... might have to go for a contract :S

Without a SD card slot, with incredibly inflated prices for internal memory for pure profit, without a user replaceable battery which ( say welcome to more programmed obsolescence ). Without the water resistance ...

Heck, you might as well buy an iPhone...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation May 13, 2015, 08:43 Simon Says

Where's the metal? Other that RATM, Pantera and SOAD, there's nothing. Boring.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 11, 2015, 22:49 Simon Says

harlock wrote on May 11, 2015, 08:23:
Simon Says wrote on May 11, 2015, 06:12:
What I meant was acting as a peer to upload the version to other clients..

it has to be whitelisted

Thanks for the info!

12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 11, 2015, 06:12 Simon Says

Vio wrote on May 11, 2015, 05:21:
PropheT wrote on May 11, 2015, 00:27:
Simon Says wrote on May 10, 2015, 19:50:
Please let this be opt-in and not opt-out and/or can be disabled easily. With low caps and sky high prices, if I can't disable it, I'll have to stick to Win7.

That's unlikely, considering the security gap that it creates. It's one of the main reasons to handle the updates in that fashion in the first place.
What security gap? You mean disabling updates and never updating?

What I meant was acting as a peer to upload the version to other clients. That would totally bust my monthly 20 GB crapass cap for 100$. I don't mind updating, but I can't really help others at this rate per GB, it would cost me a friggin' fortune in overages if I can't disable the uploads.

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 10, 2015, 19:50 Simon Says

"Users can download Windows updates through Microsoft's servers and from local and internet-connected PCs that have already obtained the updates."

Please let this be opt-in and not opt-out and/or can be disabled easily. With low caps and sky high prices, if I can't disable it, I'll have to stick to Win7.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
15. Re: Evening Metaverse May 9, 2015, 20:09 Simon Says

eRe4s3r wrote on May 9, 2015, 05:59:
NKD wrote on May 9, 2015, 04:10:
Amazon’s rapid growth is driving gentrification into popular neighborhoods such as quirky, traditionally gay, Capitol Hill. But Capitol Hill is becoming ‘less gay’ and LGBTQ hate-crimes jumped from 6 in 2011 to 19 in 2012.

What are they trying to say?

This phenomena is called swarm stupidity.

They confuse correlation and causality like basically every retard in media that has an agenda does nowadays, for the sole reason to make a point about an issue they care about, but have no statistical proof for to reinforce their argumentation. I think they do this intentionally. Reaction to A vs B which is not A == B

But you can be populist in your argumentation far easier, and thus draw in far more supporters, when you forgo logic and basic journalist integrity

Logic and reason in this day and age... I must be hallucinating. Cheers! Keep it up!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. PS4 and Xbox are 'absurdly powerful,' 1080p-60fps is 'just a starting point. May 7, 2015, 22:44 Simon Says

"PS4 and Xbox are 'absurdly powerful,' 1080p-60fps is 'just a starting point."

The power of the could commands you.

I SAID! THE POWER OF THE CLOUD COMMANDS YOU!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ad Vitam Aeternam

6. Re: Facebook for the poor May 5, 2015, 11:11 Simon Says

Lord Tea wrote on May 5, 2015, 02:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 5, 2015, 02:38:
Facebook is literally enforcing an Internet for the poor, as in websites made for the poor, while the actual Internet (99% of which is high BW) will remain for the paying customers.

Can't deny that this is ingenious but any sane government would be well advised to ban this. All Facebook tries here is to break into new markets with this offer, while cutting everyone else out of access to this.

Is that really helping the poor? Most in-depth knowledge is on youtube, you want to see how a well is built, farming hints, building help? You look it up on youtube. But not those poor.

One would have to test what the restrictions actually are. I'm not a friend of FB at all (I don't have an account). Youtube is nice but it's not the holy grail of information. Wikipedia et al will give the simple reader all the information s/he is looking for - without the need for high bandwidth.

Correction: Will give the simple readers all the information they're looking for... Except in hotly debated sectors, which are the most relevant and are often astroturfed into biased monstrosities.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black May 4, 2015, 22:17 Simon Says

ViRGE wrote on May 4, 2015, 21:19:
Tom wrote on May 4, 2015, 21:14:
He was great in Spaceballs!
Holy cow, that was Tim Russ?!

Lol "We ain't found shit!"

2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 4, 2015, 18:58 Simon Says

+1, indeed, we'd think that 3500$+ per household would've been enough to hook everybody up to FTTH, but shortly after the funding, something magical hapenned...

The iPhone sdumphone craze, QUICK INVEST ALL THAT MONEY IN WIRELESS! PROFITS!

Fiber? Who needs fiber? You got a DUMBPHONE! -_-

1. Comcast spent $336 million on failed attempt to buy Time Warner Cable May 4, 2015, 18:51 Simon Says

"Comcast spent $336 million on failed attempt to buy Time Warner Cable."

*Beavis and Butthead laughs*

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 30, 2015, 10:20 Simon Says

The level of stupid and self-righteousness at the FBI is staggering...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 24, 2015, 02:09 Simon Says

That's one girl I'd dump. Not because of the loss of equipment and $, but because I'd never trust a girl like this to not try to fuck with my free will ever again.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 21, 2015, 21:21 Simon Says

Grokk wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 21:07:
Sooo... no more car mods, only paid DLC?

In this case for our "security" aka the "think of the children" argument.

346 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo