Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simon Says

Real Name Simon Says   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 12, 2012, 10:27
Total Comments 265 (Amateur)
User ID 57330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2014, 10:59 Simon Says

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 10:45:
Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 00:11:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 20:23:
Cutter wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 19:24:
Oh this could never be abused by the gubment.
Rolleyes

I am more concearned about Facebook...

My wife had her privacy "ah-ha" moment. She had a friend pass away recently, so she uploaded a bunch of photos from 20 years ago - and it tagged and linked everyone in the picture that was on Facebook automagically. It took her by surprise and freaked her out a bit....

Yeah, but FB can't arrest you, hold you indefinitely and ship you off to Gitmo.

Some Gen X and Gen Y (and whatever the teenie boppers are called) would think it is the same thing if their account was deleted or blocked.

And seriously Cutter - are you really that worried about being arrested or detained? sheesh.....

The level of naivetée in this post is off the scale 0_o.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2014, 10:48 Simon Says

"iPhone 6 Breaks Pre-Order Record" in other news... "Kool-aid sales at an all time high"  

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 10, 2014, 17:08 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 16:43:
Tomorrow's laptops could dock and charge without a single wired connection.

Is it just me, or does the thought of having a 100 watt magnetic induction field sitting on the desk a few feet from my nads for 8 hours a day make anyone else nervous?

*Raises hand*

As for SAMSUNG phones being too big, 5 inches is perfect, just get a leather holster. I have one for a S4 and had one for the S1 too, it works quite nicely. I prefer the vertical holsters, but I guess some people could be better served by an horizontal, try it before you buy it.

News Comments > Next Total War Reveal This Month
9. Next Total War Reveal This Month = Total War: The Search For More Money Sep 9, 2014, 21:57 Simon Says

Next title...

Total War: The Search For More Money

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2014, 19:22 Simon Says

Julio wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 16:21:
I would think no matter how horrible Windows 9 is, it has to be better than 8. So a free Windows 9 will move almost all of those Windows 8 users over. Won't get those sticking with Win 7 though...

If 9 is anything like 7, a lot of the early adopters will be power users, technicians and repair guys, which means that like 7, it'll get favorable word of mouth and probably spread like wildfire, if it doesn't, it'll be 8 all over again.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 31, 2014, 17:57 Simon Says

Redmask wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 15:37:
ForgedReality wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 12:58:
Dumb rumor. Why would they skip 800 series? Won't happen. It's gonna be 20nm too, I don't care what your grandmother heard. >:O

Supposedly they want to just align the model numbers with the mobile variants (980M) to avoid marketplace confusion.

Which paradoxically creates more confusion between a 980m which is a LOT SLOWER than a desktop 980. A lot of people I know get surprised when I tell them. Same thing that hapenned back then when the core 2 duos were released in the 7000 range in the mobile space instead of the desktop 6000 range and a lot of people argued the mobile was faster even tho it had less cache, less mhz, were exactly the same achitecture and couldn't use as much power.

I swear the number of times I had to shake my heads at the stupid...

News Comments > Total War: Rome 2 Free & Paid DLC Today
3. Re: Total War: Rome 2 Free & Paid DLC Today Aug 15, 2014, 12:48 Simon Says

Slashman wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 11:24:
Simon Says wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 10:59:
Cool, but now... How about actually fixing the game already? No?

Didn't the last patch address siege AI properly? What is still missing?

That was just 1 issue out of the countless others at release... 1 year, 1 issue solved. By 2050 the game should be about playable!

News Comments > Total War: Rome 2 Free & Paid DLC Today
1. Re: Total War: Rome 2 Free & Paid DLC Today Aug 15, 2014, 10:59 Simon Says

Cool, but now... How about actually fixing the game already? No?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 29, 2014, 23:09 Simon Says

1$ per gb? Not a big deal? O_o

Do you even know how much it costs them after amortization per GB? The profit % is insane. Yet they want MORE while saying to most people still not covered by fiber ( and who should be, considering the US gov paid 3500$ per american household to the ILECs the get everyone on FTTH ), well either you go dialup or... you can go wireless ( which is probably where the subsidies for the "FTTH everyone plan" went )! FOR MORE INSANE PROFIT MARGINS and CRAPPIER SERVICE!

And they call this... progress! YAY!

Stop drinking the kool-aid, pretty please?

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Empathy For Virtual Characters Studied With FMRI Brain Imaging Jul 24, 2014, 20:54 Simon Says

"Empathy For Virtual Characters Studied With FMRI Brain Imaging"

Not really surprised... I healthily produced tears in a few good RPGs.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 18:15 Simon Says

If we want to make that happen, we'll need to evolve away from the obsolete currency based economy which itself rendered obsolete the barter system.

We need a RESOURCE BASED ECONOMY, else, we're FUCKED!

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 18, 2014, 13:26 Simon Says

That bezels...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 10:40 Simon Says

Heh, it must be a joke or something, building a new pc is always loads of fun, WTH?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 16, 2014, 10:59 Simon Says

Pigeon wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 10:03:
Still trying to push the Metro look I see, with its big fat and flat Fisher Price looking buttons. Still better than 8...

Marginally... And it takes precious space that could better be used like it is in the Win7 start menu.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 14, 2014, 02:38 Simon Says

Redmask wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 14:02:
'curing cancer' game, I know its a direct quote from the article itself but it should really be rephrased.

Actually, if you read carefull it says "helps".

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 11, 2014, 19:23 Simon Says

Bundy wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 14:30:
InBlack wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 10:28:
Panickd wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 10:26:
...although there are certainly large numbers of players who would argue that they struggle to tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames per second.

Who are these mythical players? I would certainly concede that the difference between say 900p and 1080p is so small as to be completely negligible and inconsequential especially if you're not playing them side by side. And I would concede that most games are perfectly playable at 30 fps. But anyone who can't see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps is just brain dead.

I wouldnt say they are brain dead. Id call them blind. Also, there is a vast difference between something running at a constant 30 FPS and something running at 30 FPS and dropping frames, or stuttering during heavy action etc.

If it doesn't dip below 30 then it's all good to me. I'm not sure I could tell the difference to be honest and my eyesight is just fine, thank you. I was running benchmarks on Tomb Raider after I got my latest PC. My old PC could run it maxed out at 38 fps. My new one could hit 105 fps. I'd have to struggle to notice any difference. But the old one would occasionally dip, and that I could see right away, even for a split second. So I don't mind if something is capped at 30.

Dafuq? I can easily tell the difference between 60 and 75. And even between 85 and 120! Just take a mouse, fire up a FPS without motion blur and do a quick 180. BAM!

But yeah, now they add this annoying motion blur to hide their deficiencies, so I guess its harder to tell the difference especially when you're limited in radian/sec of rotation by analog sticks.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2014, 02:20 Simon Says

Creston wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 22:17:
And the FCC is sitting there going "yep, that free market sure works well!" Fuck you, Tom Wheeler.

+1

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Xbox One: Microsoft "Cheaped Out On The RAM". Jul 7, 2014, 20:01 Simon Says

And the GPU...  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 3, 2014, 16:28 Simon Says

VIDEO ALERT PLEASE! Thank you!  

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 27, 2014, 07:19 Simon Says

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 14:07:
New graphics engines will be made to leverage mobile chips to a great extent in a similar manner, even as consoles begin to converge with desktops. Power and cooling will always be issues in the mobile space but the fact I can play Broken Sword 5 at a decent frame-rate on my $299 Windows tablet for hours at a time...does mean things are changing.

We'll see, but right now benchmarks are telling a different story. On the other hand I'm all for more efficiency in the mobile market, especially Android with its highly fragmented market. Advances in this space could actually translate to advances in the just as fragmented desktop realm.

Also, I think that the high resolutions are more of a curse in this case for smartphones, pushing that many pixels with anemic GPUs is a tough order. Many people are drooling over this "Rivalry" demo, but if you look closely, there are barely any effects, just texturing. Clever texturing mind you. And this is another thing that I think might well contribute to more performance overall, more clever rendering and design of the games.

With the plateau'ing tho, this was... inevitable.

Nice chatting with you!

265 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo