Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simon Says

Real Name Simon Says   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 12, 2012, 10:27
Total Comments 256 (Amateur)
User ID 57330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Empathy For Virtual Characters Studied With FMRI Brain Imaging Jul 24, 2014, 20:54 Simon Says

"Empathy For Virtual Characters Studied With FMRI Brain Imaging"

Not really surprised... I healthily produced tears in a few good RPGs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 18:15 Simon Says

If we want to make that happen, we'll need to evolve away from the obsolete currency based economy which itself rendered obsolete the barter system.

We need a RESOURCE BASED ECONOMY, else, we're FUCKED!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 18, 2014, 13:26 Simon Says

That bezels...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 10:40 Simon Says

Heh, it must be a joke or something, building a new pc is always loads of fun, WTH?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 16, 2014, 10:59 Simon Says

Pigeon wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 10:03:
Still trying to push the Metro look I see, with its big fat and flat Fisher Price looking buttons. Still better than 8...

Marginally... And it takes precious space that could better be used like it is in the Win7 start menu.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 14, 2014, 02:38 Simon Says

Redmask wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 14:02:
'curing cancer' game, I know its a direct quote from the article itself but it should really be rephrased.

Actually, if you read carefull it says "helps".

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 11, 2014, 19:23 Simon Says

Bundy wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 14:30:
InBlack wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 10:28:
Panickd wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 10:26:
...although there are certainly large numbers of players who would argue that they struggle to tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames per second.

Who are these mythical players? I would certainly concede that the difference between say 900p and 1080p is so small as to be completely negligible and inconsequential especially if you're not playing them side by side. And I would concede that most games are perfectly playable at 30 fps. But anyone who can't see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps is just brain dead.

I wouldnt say they are brain dead. Id call them blind. Also, there is a vast difference between something running at a constant 30 FPS and something running at 30 FPS and dropping frames, or stuttering during heavy action etc.

If it doesn't dip below 30 then it's all good to me. I'm not sure I could tell the difference to be honest and my eyesight is just fine, thank you. I was running benchmarks on Tomb Raider after I got my latest PC. My old PC could run it maxed out at 38 fps. My new one could hit 105 fps. I'd have to struggle to notice any difference. But the old one would occasionally dip, and that I could see right away, even for a split second. So I don't mind if something is capped at 30.

Dafuq? I can easily tell the difference between 60 and 75. And even between 85 and 120! Just take a mouse, fire up a FPS without motion blur and do a quick 180. BAM!

But yeah, now they add this annoying motion blur to hide their deficiencies, so I guess its harder to tell the difference especially when you're limited in radian/sec of rotation by analog sticks.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2014, 02:20 Simon Says

Creston wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 22:17:
And the FCC is sitting there going "yep, that free market sure works well!" Fuck you, Tom Wheeler.

+1

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Xbox One: Microsoft "Cheaped Out On The RAM". Jul 7, 2014, 20:01 Simon Says

And the GPU...  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 3, 2014, 16:28 Simon Says

VIDEO ALERT PLEASE! Thank you!  

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 27, 2014, 07:19 Simon Says

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 14:07:
New graphics engines will be made to leverage mobile chips to a great extent in a similar manner, even as consoles begin to converge with desktops. Power and cooling will always be issues in the mobile space but the fact I can play Broken Sword 5 at a decent frame-rate on my $299 Windows tablet for hours at a time...does mean things are changing.

We'll see, but right now benchmarks are telling a different story. On the other hand I'm all for more efficiency in the mobile market, especially Android with its highly fragmented market. Advances in this space could actually translate to advances in the just as fragmented desktop realm.

Also, I think that the high resolutions are more of a curse in this case for smartphones, pushing that many pixels with anemic GPUs is a tough order. Many people are drooling over this "Rivalry" demo, but if you look closely, there are barely any effects, just texturing. Clever texturing mind you. And this is another thing that I think might well contribute to more performance overall, more clever rendering and design of the games.

With the plateau'ing tho, this was... inevitable.

Nice chatting with you!

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2014, 12:16 Simon Says

up up, down down, left right, left right, B, A, Select, Start  

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 26, 2014, 10:15 Simon Says

The latest top notch mobile GPUs ( adreno 420 & co. ) are about on par with the 9 year old Radeon x1900 XT. Check out GFXBench.com 2.7 versions chart for the beef.

A x1900 XT scores 37.9 FPS. The best phone GPU ranked scores 28.8 fps. Considering that Tegra 1k / Adreno 420 and company are supposed to score 40% higher than this, this puts em around 40 fps on a bench that is of-course custom tailored toward mobile devices.

Any modern and even slightly demanding benchmark would probably tip the scores in favor of the 9 year old GPUs.

Same with the CPUs used in smartphones/tablets, they're still lagging by around 9 to 8 years compared to desktop parts. Less so compared to laptop parts of course but still WAY BEHIND.

And to those still thinking that they'll catch up faster now, think again, thermal dissipation is becoming a problem too for mobile and die shrinkages are getting a lot harder giving less benefits and even intel is having problems getting the temperatures inside its latest shrinkage to be relatively equal across the die, resulting in localized thermal spikes which are no good.

Desktop parts are already in the process of plateau'ing and the mobile parts will follow. Only revolutionary architectural changes and revolutionary manufacturing changes are gonna remedy this. The shrinkage evolution is hitting its wall.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2014, 07:22.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 22, 2014, 23:58 Simon Says

Hope you enjoy your Whack-A-Mole game MAFIAA.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 19, 2014, 20:32 Simon Says

Study paid for by who? And in some cases its not sporadic, the MIT study says its been going on nonstop for MONTHS!  

News Comments > PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up
4. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 20:19 Simon Says

Stupidity -_-. MAKE IT STOP!

Probably that what they use ( tweak, hack, shortcut, whatever ) to squeeze everything they can from the slow ass consoles results in problems when you try to run it at higher than intended fps.

Yeah, next gen are so HAWT! -_- Stupidity...

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2014, 20:26.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Net Neutrality Rules Still Shouldn’t Apply to Wireless, Wireless Industry Says Jun 18, 2014, 20:52 Simon Says

In other news today: Financial laws still shouldn't apply to banks, banking industry says.

YES, OF COURSE!

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2014, 18:29 Simon Says

"Frame-rate is paramount for Blizzard and the new-gen console version of Diablo 3 - The Ultimate Evil Edition (launching 19th August). 60fps is paramount.

The resolution can be compromised."

Well, at least they have some kind of standards now.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jun 11, 2014, 11:32 Simon Says

Pigeon wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:14:
I can't speak for the rest of the western world outside of the US, but this one of the weirdest things about our society. Some pretty extreme violence is okay, but sex in media is the worst thing ever. We can watch hours of football players bash the crap out of each other and call it wholesome family entertainment, but half a second of Janet Jackson's nipple and the whole country loses its shit.

Or in the case of Mass Effect whole planets can get horrifically murdered and mutilated by a race of malevolent techno-organic beings, but you have a short scene where two of the characters make alien love and you've got pundits on FOX frothing at the mouth because the youth is being poisoned with immoral filth.

I sometimes think its because it's easier for governments and religions to use violence to their own gains than it is for them to use sex.

+1 ad infinitum

1. The New Zelda Is Open-World, Looks Absolutely Incredible. Jun 10, 2014, 19:39 Simon Says

"The New Zelda Is Open-World, Looks Absolutely Incredible."

Dafuq? The VERY FIRST Zelda was open-world, well kinda.

Still... a mix between Skyrim, GTA and Zelda doesn't sound the least bit appealing to me. I totally hate Skyrim and GTA is well, fun I guess, but I never got what the fuss was all about even after playing online with others.

We'll see I guess.

256 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo