Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for LC

Real Name LC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 2, 2012, 17:40
Total Comments 23 (Suspect)
User ID 57322

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > More Trion DDoS Attacks
1. Re: More Trion DDoS Attacks Oct 11, 2014, 14:22 LC

So 21st century griefers? Or something more like the old protection rackets?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 25, 2014, 15:12 LC

'The Great Stampede'

I was expecting an article on heartbleed and instead it's an advertisement for the logmeonce kickstarter written by the CEO of logmeonce.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Apr 18, 2014, 22:48 LC

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 16:11:

It's fucking Gnome. EVERYTHING Gnome does goes against Linux's rep as a serious up and coming gaming platform*. You want to make the transition for Windows users easier? Get Clem from Mint to work with Valve on making Cinnamon the default desktop for SteamOS and give him the funds and manpower to mature it a little bit more. Easy to use desktop, baked in library of real games.

Seen the bug reports coming out for Gnome 3.12/GTK+3? Looks like they're no longer satsified with just breaking their own stuff every new release. Now they're screwing up everyones GTK3 apps.

News Comments > Expeditions: Conquistador Delayed
2. Re: Expeditions: Conquistador Delayed Apr 12, 2013, 12:25 LC

Well so far BitComposer's track record is pretty bad. You never know though they might accidently put out something decent.

an exciting and until now rarely used theme
Que? Most recently the Civ4 standalone Colonization. In the 90's you had the original Colonization, Conquest of the New World, Gold of the Americas, Cities of Gold or something like that, etc., etc... I'm sure there's more I'm not aware of like I kinda recall some RTS games over the last decade.

News Comments > Project GODUS Funded
38. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 23, 2012, 11:16 LC

Maybe after the success of this one he will do a kickstarter for Milo next?

Anyone besides me think Molyneux must be a big P.T. Barnum fan?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Drox Operative
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Drox Operative Nov 30, 2012, 12:43 LC

As Soldak says:
Drox Operative will also probably run fine in Linux using Wine (our previous games have).
The demo worked perfectly for me using Wine 1.4.1. Pity none of their games so far have really suited my tastes.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client
15. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 21:39 LC

Can only speak for myself but adding ads to local search is going downhill IMHO. Pretty poorly implemented too, poor security/privacy and no parental controls. Easily switched off or removed in the current release but it makes me wonder what Canonical has planned for the future. Adbuntu? Or maybe tap into full potential of Zeitgeist?
EFF on Ubuntu 12.10

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2012, 21:57.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client
8. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 16:05 LC

I have zero interest in Steam personally but I'm very curious to see how it works out. Mainly if they can make a profit on a niche operating system.

merc248 wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:18:
Seems there's another release of nVidia drivers for Linux today, boasting 'double performance' - this was made in conjunction with Valve apparently.

Anyone tried these yet on Linux? Are overscan and flat panel scaling still MIA from the settings?

News Comments > Valve on Linux Plans
53. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 31, 2012, 12:23 LC

Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 09:01:
I don't think a package manager for free software is really comparable to people installing commercial software on the Windows platform. People would expect every dumb little "app" on the planet to have a Linux version. Besides, the Linux experience for your average user breaks down when they need to dig deeper than the surface. They have enough problems on Windows as it is.

I don't follow. Could you elaborate on what's not comparable? You get working software downloaded and installed on your computer.

I can't say what people expect. I can only say I've been able to find everything I want/need. Besides there's a lot more software than what's on the official repositories, for example Sourceforge. Just what's on the official has been reviewed/inspected so if you want to play it safe stick with the official.

Dig deeper? Could you be more specific? All I can say is the only issue I had was the sound system kept defaulting to HDaudio on my videocard instead of the motherboard's. I had to go into the very Windows like Control Center>Sound>Hardware and right click and disable the videocard's audio. Horrible experience:)

I'm no fan of Canonical or more specifically Shuttleworth but the nice thing about using an Ubuntu based distro is the amount of documentation. Linux with training wheels I suppose. I'm trying to learn more on my own and I'll probably switch to something not based on Ubuntu when I have a better grip on the inner workings. Not that I don't like Mint's version of Ubuntu but I just expect more stupidity from Shuttleworth. Like turning it into adware although hopefully the Amazon thing has left a bad taste in their mouth.

Don't think I'm qualified to comment on the technical side of game development.

@Smellfinger Can you not use GIMP instead of Photoshop?

@Beamer I have to wonder why Valve is doing it too. Depending on what numbers you believe Linux is only used on 1-5% of desktop computers.

47. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 16:13 LC

Right but the problems usually begin when a user wants to install "boxed" software. Package managers and whatnot are arcane voodoo to those people, the ones who want to run office, an antivirus application and get lolcat screensavers or whatever. I guess my point is that getting booted to a user friendly desktop is only half the battle. The kind of people who just want to game on Steam aren't necessarily all power users, far from it. I play Counter-Strike and other FPS games quite a bit with public communities, I am amazed most of the people I encounter actually managed to get themselves in game. Hell, back before UPNP and other advances many couldn't.

The PC market has a deceptive amount of casual users and those people need their OS preinstalled, I'm not sure if Linux has made any traction there recently but last I heard things weren't good.

I think it's promising that a large company like Valve is willing to put their weight behind it but there is a lot that needs to be done, the lack of a unifying API like DirectX is particularly troublesome when it comes to games adoption on Linux despite the Win32 emulation advances.
I've tried Ubuntu, Mint(Ubuntu), Sabayon(Gentoo) and the Mandrivia forks PCLinuxOS and Mageia 2. All these have a user friendly GUI package manager plus something like Synaptic and finally you have the terminal. Packages are broken down by category and you can search by keyword. When you select a package it automatically downloads and installs the package and any required dependencies. Installed packages are also removed through the Software Manager. I don't really see how it could be made any easier.

Mint's isn't the prettiest but it works the same as the rest.
[IMG]http://thumbnails105.imagebam.com/21777/e4530c217763882.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumbnails102.imagebam.com/21777/d75724217763885.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumbnails101.imagebam.com/21777/3c18fc217763890.jpg[/IMG]

The distros coming out now intended for the desktop come with a good selection of software. Web browser, email client, Libre or Open Office, movie player, music player, CD burner, etc... some will include one of each type others install multiple programs. What's included should be listed on the distro's website.

OpenGL, Pulse Audio, OpenAL. I'm far from an expert but isn't the majority of the hardware support built into the Linux kernal?

43. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 14:03 LC

Judging from the negative Linux comments most of you folks haven't tried it in awhile or not at all. I've used Windows for the last 13-14 years and found the transition very, very easy. A lot of the distros run 'out of the box'. Download a live CD and try it out, just keep in mind it'll most likely be a little sluggish running off CD or USB stick.

Right now I'm using Mint 13 with the Mate desktop. Added the Gion icon set and Win2K Borders and have mine looking about like Win2K Pro. For good or bad the desktop background is my doing so don't blame the Mint folks for that.
[IMG]http://thumbnails105.imagebam.com/21775/826690217744023.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumbnails106.imagebam.com/21775/93bf70217744029.jpg[/IMG]

News Comments > Firm Says Steam URLs Exploitable
16. Re: Firm Says Steam URLs Exploitable Oct 17, 2012, 14:17 LC

The H has some more on this.
H-Online article
Which ends with some doom and gloom.
ReVuln is a company that sells information about unpatched security issues to businesses and governments; therefore, one of its paying customers may well already be in possession of functioning exploits for the Steam platform.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 11, 2012, 15:51 LC

Smellfinger wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 13:37:
Someone should inform this dipshit that Ubuntu can be run off a USB drive.

If a computer is old enough it doesn't have a DVD it probably won't support boot from USB either.

Anyway still a non-issue, there's still literally hundreds of other Linux distributions out there and quite a few specifically made for older hardware.

News Comments > Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt
29. Re: Legends of Pegasus Developer Bankrupt Oct 7, 2012, 09:42 LC

I'm sad that another publisher put an unfinished game on the market with the "patches will fix it" attitude.  

News Comments > On Wasteland 2 Writing
15. Re: On Wasteland 2 Writing Sep 29, 2012, 12:08 LC

For me it depends on what they're calling a M-rated experience. Is it going to be profanity, prostitutes, sex and drugs like in FO2? To me that wasn't mature but rather immature/juvenile or whatever you want to call it. I want to see hard moral and ethical choices that make you think a little bit.  

News Comments > Project Eternity Using Unity
2. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 16:00 LC

I really wish them luck but I can't help having doubts. Seems to me like they're promising an awful lot. But hopefully I've just become cynical and jaded and they really do pull it off.  

News Comments > War of the Roses Trailer
5. Re: War of the Roses Trailer Sep 22, 2012, 15:43 LC

Most swords frome this era weighed less than 10 pounds

You're not going to convince of your historical accuracy if you keep throwing out crap like that. Most swords from the entire medieval period weighed less than 4 pounds. True one handers averaged around 3 pounds or less. Hand and half's rarely even hit 4.5 pounds, most were 3.5-4 pounds.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light
11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 22:14 LC

Developers site also has Linux and Macintosh versions.  

News Comments > Depth Hunter 2 Revealed
4. Re: Depth Hunter 2 Revealed Sep 12, 2012, 12:43 LC

By this time, my lungs were aching for air...  

News Comments > Akaneiro: Demon Hunters Video; Beta Signups
1. Re: Akaneiro: Demon Hunters Video; Beta Signups Sep 11, 2012, 22:53 LC

Another ARPG? No thanks. I really wish a developer would try to pick up where the original Fallouts and Arcanum left off. Granted Fallout was pretty much limited to solving things through violence, diplomacy and stealth with the dialogue giving the player the option to be a good guy or bad/self serving guy. Still it was closer to the PnP RPG experience then all the kill and loot games that have followed.  

23 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo