Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for D.

Real Name D.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname RailWizard
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Banned
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 29, 2012, 03:30
Total Comments 754 (Graduate)
User ID 57316

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer
34. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 18:57 RailWizard

Man the amount of fucking apologists on this site is sickening.

edit: actually that's not fair, these douches are everywhere...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM
52. Re: Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM Sep 5, 2012, 18:39 RailWizard

Now if only they had games worth playing, this might actually have been good news.  

News Comments > Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans
25. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 18:37 RailWizard

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 18:04:
*shrug* I was a fan of D3 when it was released and enjoyed it. However, I eventually hit the inferno wall that the majority of players also hit and have since moved on to other games. GW2 is my game of choice right now and when I'm bored with that I'm going to give TL2 a try. My guess is TL2 will make me never think of D3 again (and that's sad).

That pretty much sums up my feelings on D3 as well. Though I'm not playing Gw2. I think I'm burnt out on rpg's in general for now. Just did my first game on TF2 MVM and it was pretty cool actually.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
75. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 5, 2012, 15:39 RailWizard

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beamer&defid=5509702

Rabble Rabble...

73. removed Sep 5, 2012, 15:19 RailWizard

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 5, 2012, 15:50.

71. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 5, 2012, 15:03 RailWizard

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 07:53:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:04:
Beamer wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:07:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:57:
**This applies to the movie and music industries as well. That fact that an "industry" is even needed for such thing is a topic for another discussion.

Yeah, because $200MM movies like The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers can just be kickstarted and done by some hobbyist.

I can only comment on what I know regarding this, which is Music, and seeing as this whole witch-hunt over copyright bullshit was started by the music "industry", I felt it was relevant.

Music is cheap as fuck to create. I know because I did it for several years. I was in a band that played in many public venues and we had no need of any "industry". Had we kept at it and built up our 'bank', we could've afforded to do many 'fancy' things I would guess. I don't see why this can't translate to the other 2 industries. If you disagree, then don't forget explain the 'mod scene' and how your precious 'industry' has destroyed it. Same goes for the movie industry. Hello Blair witch?

Live within your means and you will eventually be able to do great things. Assuming you are worth a shit that is....That is my entire point right there.

Of course music is cheap as fuck to create. Duh. I've said it here a billion times - you just need 4 dudes and a laptop. You can distribute it, too. Artists always made their cash on touring, so free music makes that easier. Music publishers are basically on life support. They'll never go anywhere, as giant bands will always need someone promoting their arena tours, but for good bands things have only improved.

So how do you know music is cheap as fuck to create? You have an IQ above 50. Of course, this is only certain music, but it covers at least 90% of music and like 99% of what people listen to.

Why can't it translate into other industries? BECAUSE THEY'RE FUCKING EXPENSIVE! Have you ever seen the credits of a movie? They're enormous. Movies cost millions, no way around it. What, you think we can just put Tom Cruise on the Burj Dubai for a few grand?

As for games, it's the same. It takes tens to hundreds of thousands of man-hours for a good 3D game with any kind of depth and length. Someone needs to finance that, or people need to work for free. Neither will happen. Why do you think so many devs are flocking to iOS? It's cheap. The games also suck, eh?

You throw out Blair Witch. For one, that movie absolutely blew. For another, while it may have been cheap to make it had one of the most expensive marketing campaigns for a horror movie. Ever. If I recall it was over $20MM. Which certainly led to its success. Who is going to pay that expense in your little dream world?

This is yet another Blues meltdown in process?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

Yeah, movies are even more expensive than a parasite like you would even have the privilege to know. Allegedly...

I'm sure similar shit goes on in game studios too. They gotta pay for all the toys they think they deserve after all.

70. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 5, 2012, 14:57 RailWizard

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 07:55:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 00:25:
Bhruic wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 22:47:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:48:
No You! I will drop a single name that will shut you up. Robinhood.

If illegally downloading software is helping you feed starving families, then by all means, continue. On the slightly more believable chance that illegally downloading software is just letting you play stuff for free, Robin Hood you aren't.

The fact is, for me to say I would pirate this game is actually a compliment. Why? Because I feel it's worth that much.

So, when you pirate a game you pay nothing for it, because you feel it's worth "that much" [nothing], and this is a compliment?

Or do you mean "that much" because piracy is some huge hurdle for you, a hurdle apparently worth less than $40-$60?

Piracy is not free moron. It costs time, bandwidth and media space.

69. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 5, 2012, 14:54 RailWizard

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 09:29:
InBlack wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 08:26:
Is that person a thief, a loyal customer or somewhere in between???

Because thats what I did with Doom.

A rarity. Most people will not buy the game they pirate, with the exception of buying it months/years later at a fraction of the price via a Steam sale.

I've said dozens of times that I believe the biggest pirates (in the West) are likely also the ones putting the biggest proportion of their earnings into video games. But they're rarely putting it into the same games. They'll buy the big new hit that they need immediately but pirate the smaller game. Which ends up being bad, anyway, as it's that smaller game that needs the sales, not the big hit.

Pure conjecture from an obviously biased shill. You may as well roll your face on the keyboard as it will produce similar results.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer
17. Re: Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer Sep 5, 2012, 04:41 RailWizard

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 03:42:
Just picked up BF3 on sale last weekend. I guess I'll decide if I like vanilla enough to buy any of the DLC.

Which one is the best one out there?

lol there is only 1 dlc so far until the 11th, and if you like CoD, you will probably like it....

Oh I guess there is Karkand too, that one is definitely worth it.

News Comments > Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines
54. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 5, 2012, 00:35 RailWizard

Draugr wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:09:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 12:18:
InBlack wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 08:59:
These guys have been working how long on the game???

Since its soooo easy to insert another playable character into the narrative of the story, regardless of gender, Im worried that the game is going to turn out like most other Gearbox games. IE Shit.

In any case I would like to start a petition for a transgender playable character because.....well just because.

Have to agree on that. I'm leery of anything coming out of gearbox. They have turd polishing down quite nicely.

I'M assuming like most alien games, this will be a voiceless protagonist, therefore it won't really effect the story one way or the other, hence why it is so easy to drop in... You can even pretend the person your playing is transgender - Transgender people look like men and women, so it's covered -That being said I doubt there is going to be any sex in this game so I suspect determining if your sexual preference or gender identity is pretty irrelevant.

I think it's hilarious we are having this kind of discussion about media, considering this IP was started by a girl casted in a role written for a man.
Strangely enough, when that happened, it didn't ruin the movie.

Heh well ya I'm aware the first movie was really more metaphor than anything else. It was about rape pretty much. I prefer to take it for what it is, a sci-fi movie about aliens.

12. Re: Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer Sep 5, 2012, 00:32 RailWizard

born2expire wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 00:19:
Still play BF3 daily, Armored Kill isn't really my cup of tea but we'll see.

I think I'm the only one that doesn't care about Arma3, I found Arma 2 to be a clunky mess and all people did was play co-op, Day Z is a different story.

I haven't touched Dayz in about a month. If/when they actually get some more maps and actual things to do, I may give a fuck again.

As for the vanilla game, Arma 2 or 3 or w/e. I could not give a flying fuck about it. It does look cool, and if I had 30 to 50 friends to play with, it might actually be cool. I don't so I don't care.

63. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 5, 2012, 00:25 RailWizard

Bhruic wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 22:47:

If illegally downloading software is helping you feed starving families, then by all means, continue. On the slightly more believable chance that illegally downloading software is just letting you play stuff for free, Robin Hood you aren't.

Way to be pedantic about the whole thing. If you've paid any attention to my posts, for me piracy is a rare thing these days. Most games that interest me have multiplayer, and since you need a legit copy for that, I buy just like everyone else. Before anyone says it, that is not the only reason, I also DO like to support those that deserve it in my mind.

The fact is, for me to say I would pirate this game is actually a compliment. Why? Because I feel it's worth that much. It could be a lot worse, for example Ubisoft's portfolio....of which I would not even waste my bandwidth or blank media on. It's that bad IMO. When this game reaches a price I am comfortable with, I will very likely pay the money. The $5 price I mentioned was not written in stone.

62. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 5, 2012, 00:18 RailWizard

DarkCntry wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 22:06:

I was actually told at one job interview that that is what my name means. lol Go figure...no I didn't get the job.

What does Robin Hood have to do with anything? The premise behind the fictional character is that he stole from the rich (profiting from the misgivings towards to poor) and gave to the poor (returning what was originally theirs and obtained in a manner deemed 'illegal'.

How is it in any way Robin Hood-esque to pirate a piece of software to use? Software (especially in this context) is a luxury good not intrinsic to a required form of living. The software wasn't obtained by the developers at the detriment of the 'common folk' either.

The Powers of that time would've spewed the same shit you are, so excuse me if I don't retract....

10. Re: Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer Sep 5, 2012, 00:15 RailWizard

Bhruic wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 22:39:
Techie714 wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 22:06:
I'm like the only guy that still likes BF3 & I'm a huge ARMA fan...lol.

Nah, I still like the game. Just haven't played in awhile since they never managed to stop the blatant hacking - plus I didn't pick up Close Quarters (not my cup 'o tea). This DLC looks like it could be better, so I might snag it. Depends if the other guys I tend to play with are interested as well.

I still like it too. Fucking hate EA and DICE for caving to them like bitches, but premium is worth it IF the next 3 DLC are good. Close Quarters sucks for the most part. Wrong fucking game for that shit.

While I still like Bf3, there will be no Bf4 in my future. A first for me. The only other Battlefield game I did not buy was the one on PS2, but since I don't own a PS2, I don't count that.

51. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 20:48 RailWizard

Flatline wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:38:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:27:
Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:19:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:14:
That's good because rude and disrespectful was the point.

There are many ways to express your scorn of the gaming industry or Gearbox software without bragging about pirating their games. It comes off as very immature, muddies legitimate discussion and is pretty much an indefensible position.

Well I could lie about it, but then I'd be just like everyone else, and I aspire to be better than that.

So being a thief ranks higher than being similar to other people?

You've got a fucked up sense of morality dude.

I was actually told at one job interview that that is what my name means. lol Go figure...no I didn't get the job.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 20:23 RailWizard

nin wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 10:37:
Yeah, I'm rather bummed by Michael's passing. He seemed like a really nice guy.

Goodnight, Papa Bear

Pork-rind this! Pork-rind this! Yeaaaahh!

47. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 20:04 RailWizard

Beamer wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:07:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:57:
**This applies to the movie and music industries as well. That fact that an "industry" is even needed for such thing is a topic for another discussion.

Yeah, because $200MM movies like The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers can just be kickstarted and done by some hobbyist.

I can only comment on what I know regarding this, which is Music, and seeing as this whole witch-hunt over copyright bullshit was started by the music "industry", I felt it was relevant.

Music is cheap as fuck to create. I know because I did it for several years. I was in a band that played in many public venues and we had no need of any "industry". Had we kept at it and built up our 'bank', we could've afforded to do many 'fancy' things I would guess. I don't see why this can't translate to the other 2 industries. If you disagree, then don't forget explain the 'mod scene' and how your precious 'industry' has destroyed it. Same goes for the movie industry. Hello Blair witch?

Live within your means and you will eventually be able to do great things. Assuming you are worth a shit that is....That is my entire point right there.

46. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 19:42 RailWizard

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:51:

Gearbox bought a well known IP with ridiculous earnings potential on the cheap, and all they had to do finish a turd and get it out the door. Effin' business decisions, how do they work?

aka driving a franchise into the ground. Thx for playing! The Duke is dead.

42. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 17:25 RailWizard

finga wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:46:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:14:
Also remember that 'gearbox' was the punchline to the longest running internet joke ever called 'DNF' which everyone seems to have forgiven them for.
Mostly because they had a good enough pedigree of making entertaining games before that. Anyone who expected that thirteen-year-clusterfuck of a mess to come out squeaky clean and amazing after only a year in Gearbox's hands was just delusional.

Gearbox makes good games, not miracles, even if Randy Pitchford seems to disagree on that last point.

..and yet they arrogantly took on the job. They probably knew it was going to be a stinker also, but that did not stop them from asking a FULL Triple 'A' price for it either despite only having worked for a year on it. Of course they DLC'd the shit out of that game too.

Yes I know it's pretty cheap now, that is the price it should've been to begin with.

30. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 14:57 RailWizard

SimplyMonk wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:32:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:27:
...then I'd be just like everyone else

Good to see how you've rationalized it by lying to yourself into thinking everyone is as short-sighted as you.

Oh well. Tragedy of the commons.

You are right, there are more with my viewpoint. It is unfair to them to say what I did.

As for being short-sighted, not a chance. I want the current 'industry' to die. It is riddled with cancer and corruption and deserves no less. Then to be reborn into something deserving of it's merits, with products that sell themselves with no backhanded schemes to force people into their way of thinking, which is "give us your money and STFU! YOU'RE NOT DOING IT FAST ENOUGH, GIVE US MORE AND FASTER! FASTER! OH and BTW, you are only RENTING OUR software, so treat it with the RESPECT WE DEMAND, OR ELSE!!".

If you are part of the industry and you do not speak out on this, then you deserve what's coming and every bit of venom.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2012, 15:04.

754 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo