Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for D.

Real Name D.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname RailWizard
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Banned
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jan 29, 2012, 03:30
Total Comments 754 (Graduate)
User ID 57316

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
96. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 10:24 RailWizard

J wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 08:08:
Also: How to force XCOM to use 1080p cinematics.

The d/l link in that article is dead so here they are on pastebin..

xcom_720p.bat http://pastebin.com/R83qBfF9

xcom_1080p.bat http://pastebin.com/ybYeSSpg

edit: PROTIP: if you get the bat files from pastebin, make sure you delete the "xcom_1080p.bat
---------------" at the top of the file...otherwise it just sits there doing nothing.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2012, 10:39.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

91. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 10, 2012, 09:33 RailWizard

J wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 08:08:
Also: How to force XCOM to use 1080p cinematics.

The batch file seems to be deleted. Though I'm not sure if I even need it.

3. You're given aural directional cues to unrevealed aliens in Normal. No luck in Classic.

4. In normal, sectoids at least will eventually come at you in many missions. In Classic, the goddamn enemies hunker down and wait for you.

These 2 points are wrong. Both of those do happen in Classic.

I also found the FOUR SLOT inventory a huge letdown. I mean look at this shit:The old inventory. How they go from that to four slots I don't know...I guess because the levels are so small, but still.

One other thing, I plugged in my xbox360 controller, and WOW it's like the game was made for it. lol imagine that.....all the flakiness in the controls becomes rock solid and many actions become ONE click instead of several. Try it out if you have one.

72. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 21:22 RailWizard

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 21:13:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 20:54:
This AI is even more bullshit than the old one.

I did notice aliens do move behind the scenes though.

Movement is part of the BS tho, it's like they get 3 moves and they are all crack shots with guns that pretty much kill you if you get hit. My guys don't 'run for cover' when they get spotted....and of course, they shoot like they are all drunk especially the sniper.

Ahhh...your guys are suppose to already be in cover, unless you want them to die. As for them hitting and you not, my only advice is dont goto vegas.

heh they shoot me whether I'm behind cover or not.

67. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 20:54 RailWizard

This AI is even more bullshit than the old one.

I did notice aliens do move behind the scenes though.

Movement is part of the BS tho, it's like they get 3 moves and they are all crack shots with guns that pretty much kill you if you get hit. My guys don't 'run for cover' when they get spotted....and of course, they shoot like they are all drunk especially the sniper.

59. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 18:11 RailWizard

Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 17:43:
Well I've been playing the hell out of it and it really is well done. I am doing my best to beat down that voice that pipes up every so often to remind me how different this is than the original and having marginal success. I definitely love the challenge - I have been wiped out on several missions now, and (like the original) it is really hard to recover from a disastrous mission in which you lose all of your best soldiers and your global approval rating bottoms out.

What the game does, it does extremely well. But I have complaints (surprise surprise). I am not so enamored with the fact that there are no base defense missions. Those consistently were some of the most intense, nerve-wracking missions in the first game (and it was also neat to run around inside something you built yourself) and it is a crime that this feature didn't make it in. Also, I remember fondly attacking alien bases as they started popping up all over the world - those were awesomely difficult and terrifying, but their not here either. My biggest concern, the lack of action point movement, is not as jarring a change as I expected and in fact it works really well. I lamented he lack of randomized maps, and I still do; this is mitigated somewhat by a large variety and randomness of starting points, but I still wish they were in here. Squad size, another huge concern of mine, is still a sticking point with me but it is not a deal-breaker. I would have liked to see squad size upped to 6 at the start and expandable to 8 though. Despite these gripes, the game is extremely fun, challenging, and addicting - three critical trademarks of the X-COM brand so that is a relief.

I hope the game sells well enough to warrant a sequel with those crucial features added back in. Firaxis may be on the verge of doing what began to seem impossible - pleasing hardcore X-COM fans with a modern re-imagining.

Yeah it lost a lot of it's complexity and a certain amount of sand-boxy feel too. If what I heard about aliens not moving until you see them is true, and from what I've seen so far it seems to be, that pisses me off because creeping along and always staying in overwatch mode is useless, or not as good anyway.

Limited trade also blows. Why can't I sell off stuff if I made too many of some items? I did get a trade mission where India wanted a couple kevlar vests, but that's not quite the same thing...

Still a bit early yet, but I guess it could've been worse and so far it's not too bad. It's more a trip down (foggy)memory lane rather than a true worthy successor. Maybe my opinion will change once I get further into it...

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 14:05 RailWizard

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 12:40:
So, been going pretty hard at Classic / Ironman. Really loving the gameplay. There are a few things here and there that i notice different from the original but no deal breakers at all. Something i do notice is that the matches go a lot faster. This is pretty much because of the no time units and the 2 move/ability system. I actually prefer this as it makes you focus much more on the strategy aspect rather than the technical T/U management aspect.

Ok thats enough time wasted outside the game, must go back to my underground base.

Classic/Ironman heh. Enjoy your rapes.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews
58. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 01:48 RailWizard

Bucky wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 01:10:
My third mission (the first where you basically get full control) and I have two rookies wiped out. Very, very happy I decided to only start on Normal Ironman.

I'm already attached the Rookie (squaddie now) that panicked and still managed to blow away a thin man.

lol I lost my sergeant(heavy) and 2 rookies on that. Last guy managed to save the bitch and kill them all, but now he's out for 15 days. I'm playing on classic tho. Sleep time heh.

54. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 00:52 RailWizard

Sepharo wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 00:31:
This update/unpack is taking entirely too long. Almost makes me think there's something wrong with my computer.

edit: Great now it says "corrupt game files"

Restart steam.

48. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:57 RailWizard

It's unpacking! Boogie  

39. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 21:50 RailWizard

Flatline wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 20:37:
WaltC wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 19:48:
Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:27:

Why would it depend on difficulty level?
Did you play the original? It depends on how many times you play and how you treat end-game missions. I've put thousands of hours into the original because I've replayed it thousands of times. And I always rush through the later game missions, usually ignoring them altogether.

I bought all of the originals (when they were newly released) and played the crap out of them. One of the greatest things about the originals--I thought--was the truly creepy, other-wordly, music played behind the turn-based combat sequences. I loved that music, and I loved that atmosphere! I downloaded and played the demo of the new game and it looks like a lot of fun, but in the one battle sequence I've played through in the demo (don't know how large the demo is, really) the background music and sound effects sounded much more like Rap-meets-Disco-Meets-New Age. That spine-tingling creepiness of the original wasn't there in the demo. Demo seemed fun, though, and true to some aspects of the game.

But I've always wondered why, if you are going to spend the money to acquire the IP and develop the game--why wouldn't you, couldn't you use the *original* combat sound tracks for the game? To my knowledge, no one attempting remakes of the series has ever done that and it has always mystified me. That creepy music during those periods heightened the tension and really transported to the player into an unearthly scenario. IE, it really creeped the player out--which is what made it so much fun for me and the millions of other people who've played the originals since.

Has anyone mentioned whether the game ever gets that right? It's hard to understand how a remake could miss that key element in the original games.

Have you *played* the original X-Com recently? I have- this past weekend. The music is incredibly basic MIDI synth tracks that I found incredibly 90's cheesy. In fact, it reminded me of the soundtrack to the Genesis game Shadowrun (which incidentally I love because of how bad it is). I chuckled at it more than once. I suspect the tension of playing the game back then when everything was new and tense and cutting-edge was what gave the music it's appeal to you. In this case, memory really is rose-tinted.

Seriously- go back and listen to the original soundtrack. If they used that music today it'd be ridiculed. Several remakes do manage to squeeze in the original themes and variations on those themes, but to just copy the music over A/B would be terrible.

The music for the PS1 version of UFO Defense was good, really good. As in not midi. I think TFTD was on PS1 too, but I never saw it, anywhere.

Actually last time I played UFOD I found someone had ripped the PS1 music and modded it into the PC version which was cool.

edit: found a clip on YT: Link.

edit2: better yet, here is the guide for getting the PS1 music into the PC version of UFO:Defense should the need arise. heh. linky. Or you can just grab and listen to the music here.

edit3: listening again, damn this could be the best game music for a sci-fi based game ever...lol whoever made this deserves more credit. Only other game I can think of that comes close would be Starcraft.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2012, 22:22.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company TV Series Planned
6. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company TV Series Planned Oct 8, 2012, 21:46 RailWizard

lol  

36. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 17:18 RailWizard

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 17:04:
Eh, probably the cynic in me. I expect people to be idiots, especially on the Internet.

It's pretty much the new normal.

16. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 12:50 RailWizard

LittleMe wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 12:31:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz94mUWwblU

Excellent review.

lol first he calls it 'Enemy Known', then he says it's a xbox exclusive. Turned it off after that....

12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:57 RailWizard

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:44:
Yeah, I meant you. I didn't bother looking at your post history, but seemed to remember you were a "never buy before it's been out for a bit" type. Which isn't good or bad, just "is what it is."

Well it is pretty pointless now, it basically amounts to blackmail(pre-order or you don't get all this cool shit...).

At one point it was necessary to secure a hard-copy from the local store because games selling out was a real problem back then. Now it's just another gimmick.

9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:40 RailWizard

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:23:
Isn't that against policy for you?
You talking to me? If so, umm what? Pre-ordering? I don't particularly like it, especially if in this case the first people to do so don't get all the goodies(the unlocks are a slimy idea...), or even worse if it's the 'founders' crap that F2P games are doing now, but I'm not 100% opposed to it, no.

I do think this trend is a bit bad for games in the long run because it makes people feel like if they don't pre-order then they may as well just skip it entirely.

7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 11:21 RailWizard

Well shit. Pre-ordered. Held out to the last day at least. lol.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
40. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 19:39 RailWizard

Flatline wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 18:41:
RailWizard wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:59:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:26:
In the late 1990's X-Com was anything but a niche game. The first time I played it was on a Playstation console. It is one of the greatest strategy games ever made. It was on multiple platforms, sold well, and won praise from every sector of the gaming press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Enemy_Unknown#Reception

Yeah ok. Mechwarrior wasn't niche either I suppose. lol feel free to keep rewriting history, not like I give a fuck, I just think it's funny.

If we're going to be honest about 90's computer gaming, the entire industry was a niche.

heh well that much is obvious for sure. Still....

I don't get the hostility. I still have the PS1 version that I played way back then. It was hard to get even back then...

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 15:40 RailWizard

Sepharo wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 15:08:
Wow okay maybe I underestimated the amount of marketing going on for XCOM... http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/fo09et/futurama-the-xcom-project

heh well here in canuckistan we can't view that video and I'm too lazy to hax0r my shit just for that. However when I say 'hype', it's not just media blitz I mean, but also all of us who played the originals and have been going on and on about it for all these years. People saw that and remembered.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:59 RailWizard

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:26:
In the late 1990's X-Com was anything but a niche game. The first time I played it was on a Playstation console. It is one of the greatest strategy games ever made. It was on multiple platforms, sold well, and won praise from every sector of the gaming press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Enemy_Unknown#Reception

Yeah ok. Mechwarrior wasn't niche either I suppose. lol feel free to keep rewriting history, not like I give a fuck, I just think it's funny.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 14:20 RailWizard

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:19:
It's funny. When they announced the Xcom shooter, one of the genius suits at 2K made this comment:

"Turn-based strategy games were no longer the hottest thing on planet Earth," Hartmann said. "But this is not just a commercial thing - strategy games are just not contemporary."

Funny how Xcom Enemy Unknown has been number one on the Steam top seller's list for nearly a week now, beating out shooters Borderlands 2, and Uncharted.

I guess gamers like strategy games after all. I'll bet that guy got his job just because he has an MBA. I doubt someone that would make a comment like that has ever even played games.

It is pretty strange actually. X-COM has always been a niche game. I guess this is proof that hype works.

754 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo