Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Curtis Turner

Real Name Curtis Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AlexSledge
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 27, 2012, 07:09
Total Comments 25 (Suspect)
User ID 57315

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Agree no Atlanta Jun 21, 2014, 08:58 AlexSledge

The last E3 I attended was the last held in Atlanta as well, cheers!

Though I have to agree that Hotlanta is a horrible place for anything that I (or sane people) want to attend, especially if held in the summer. Of course the west coast is just as useless to me - ideally everything would be held in the research triangle in North Carolina - not too hot, not too cold, not too far, and tech out the wazoo. On top of that the area is home to Epic, Red Storm, Funcom, and a good many other gaming companies as well as all your big tech names.

Ideal is the ideal word to describe it.

I should be coding.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 09:09 AlexSledge

No, a robot can not give it's own TED talk - it would be delivering the messages of all the people involved in its creation, as coached by the final marketing arbitrators.

Oh, and the $3k video card is for people with too much money.

Developers have to sell to a market, therefore the bulk of work & testing is generally done at the commodity levels alongside their customer base. In a big AAA house you might convince the money men to allow a purchase like this for a few of the big name Sr Devs, and I'm sure the entire Star Citizen team is running them, but outside of that - just people with too much money.

I should be coding.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
122. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 08:55 AlexSledge

I wouldn't invest so much energy into hating Facebook (not that I don't share in distaste for all things FB), but instead focus on the competition, and help them instead.

I'm not going to tell you who to back instead of Oculus, but there are other driven, capable, intelligent folks out there working on alternate solutions to the Oculus Rift which could use your support.

I should be coding.

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
12. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights Mar 20, 2014, 09:08 AlexSledge

I hope they segregate into at least two major groups - content truly worthy of promotion, and "the rest". Keep the proof of concept, early access, small market "cruft" out of my visibility until I am willing to explore out of the ordinary options for my entertainment.

Quite honestly I used to check the Apple App Store fairly regularly in the early days, but once the signal to noise ratio hit a certain level I stopped looking completely. It's word of mouth apps or those brought up in special interest forums that I occasionally check out (and buy if interesting enough).

Now as to the exact criteria - it can be as something simple as sales numbers - based on to-date including pre-order numbers, or complex including sales, critics reviews, player reviews, skewed by volume of votes, paid temporary promotion and the like. If anyone, Valve sure has the metrics.

Dang, now I wonder if the metrics gathering initiatives at Valve have any surveillance industry backing, financial or otherwise. Wouldn't have thought to ask a decade ago. Won't stop me from using it, though.

I should be coding.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 18, 2014, 19:58 AlexSledge

Government regulated mandated upgrade cycles for license to utilize the critical infrastructure backbone of the country, with severe financial penalties for failed compliance.  
I should be coding.

News Comments > Gauntlet Remake This Summer
18. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 12:50 AlexSledge

MacLeod wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 10:02:
Without the balance of using actual money to continue or add health, the game doesn't really work. If I can continue an unlimited amount of times, without having to worry about running out of quarters, the danger of the game is gone. I find that you just start barreling through monsters, where in the arcade you actually take your time and try to avoid being hit.

Never you worry! Through the magic of micro-transactions all your wants and needs can come true! Instead of real quarters, you can buy WB-coinZ for $0.75USD to use just as you would real quarters in ye olden timey arcade machines! A victory for WB and players!

I should be coding.

News Comments > Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter
11. Re: Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter Feb 11, 2014, 11:57 AlexSledge

They've already hit their funding goal, so I'm happy about that.

If you look closely you see a majority of the game... the map in the lower right, the party details lower left, and the main combat window across the top of the main screen. Looks like it will have a lot more of a classic RPG feel to it, which I consider a good thing, though to each their own.

For someone who mentioned a more Dungeon Keeper like experience, look to Dungeon Forge (still in Kickstarter, and it appears they can use your love) - which is another that looks quite full of potential for me.

I should be coding.

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
33. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 20:23 AlexSledge

Bottom line is pretty simple. No.

Uplay, you're late to market, tough - no games requiring an alternative online DRM will be purchased, Steam won that fight, and it's over.

I'm not the only one with this stance, and I'm sure that there are plenty that are happy to blow whichever way the wind blows, and good luck to you.

Edit:
Actually, if they ever did a GOOD reboot of Pod, I would be tempted, because Pod kicked so much butt.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 20:42.

I should be coding.

News Comments > Steam Machines Announcement
47. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 09:41 AlexSledge

Unless it's an actual Valve branded machine, you can keep it. I can roll my own better than any of the companies in that list.  
I should be coding.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2013, 23:48 AlexSledge

I want damages for all the crappy movies I've gone to over the years. There are a significant number I want the time of my life back for, then hundreds for which I'd be willing to settle for a cash refund. I'll even let you have Sharknado for free.

Where do I sign up for that?

I figure if I get reparations then it might be ok for the MPAA to get some also.

I should be coding.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 11:43 AlexSledge

Hardware failures that move around the high energy consumption components often point to the power supply as not being a solid player in the equation any more. This will often present itself as flaky RAM, video cards and the like.  
I should be coding.

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter Fails
4. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter Fails Aug 24, 2013, 10:54 AlexSledge

Perhaps a larger investment in marketing, additional focus-group style feedback from the fan base on the features which are core - to aim at a smaller scoped game, where you can add back features via stretch goals - but this requires quality skilled cost planning.  
I should be coding.

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Sells 1.2M
8. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Sells 1.2M Aug 13, 2013, 14:03 AlexSledge

Slap the combat engine/mechanics under a medieval/fantasy RPG and they'd get my money again... and again...  
I should be coding.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2013, 13:59 AlexSledge

Smart people notice the "Disc Based Games" - sure things continue as they are for those.

I honestly can't remember the last time I purchased a physical copy of a game for my PC - if it's not Steam, or in some indie bundle, I don't bother (simply not joining multiple online delivery services, sorry late comers).

It does strike me as odd that "Console Culture" still hangs on to physical media, but as I was explaining to a friend.... Buy, Beat, Trade is the way consoles have been as long as I can remember (who you traded them to simply changed).

I expect that "trade" will go away with physical media. Whether or not anything similar pops up for the digital arena will be interesting to watch.

I should be coding.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2013, 17:22 AlexSledge

Doesn't your provider offer On-Demand of prime time / big popular shows, seems at least TWC does around here.

If you're DVR'ing it, you're likely not watching it the evening it airs. If you aren't watching it the evening it airs, but you likely will in the next few weeks, just use the on-demand features provided.

Or go with an XBMC option on the main screen.

I should be coding.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
24. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2013, 19:38 AlexSledge

ME: Google Isn't Trying Hard Enough To Make The RIAA Disappear From The Internet.  
I should be coding.

News Comments > Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers
51. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 23, 2013, 19:34 AlexSledge

If you want to improve your relationship with me, Ubisoft, create a follow up to (or remake of) Pod.  
I should be coding.

News Comments > New MechWarrior: Online Mech
3. Re: New MechWarrior: Online Mech Feb 5, 2013, 23:24 AlexSledge

Is a single virtual battlemech worth $24 USD?

Other than some pricing ... inconsistencies ... which I have issue with, I have nothing but good to say about the game itself. I am excited to see the meta game arrive, along with some control over whch map you play. The game could be greatly improved with a lobby system similar to L4D - the crap shoot of a matchmaker is probably the weakest part of the game, which could be easily remedied by putting the "logic" of the system into the hands of the players and lettng them coordinate the matches themselves.

I should be coding.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 14:09 AlexSledge

It is ALSO World Nutella Day ( http://www.nutelladay.com/ ) - not a bad combination... pancakes and nutella... mmmmmmmmm.  
I should be coding.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 9, 2012, 16:32 AlexSledge

Google's solution is in the article... Don't build out to cover the whole country. Focus on high density / high consumption areas, and near their own datacenters.

I'd like to volunteer the Raleigh/Durham area for their next trial.

I should be coding.

25 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo