Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sink

Real Name Sink   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Suppa7
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2012, 04:58
Total Comments 553 (Apprentice)
User ID 57312

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Feb 14, 2016, 03:43 Suppa7

Quboid wrote on Feb 13, 2016, 23:18:
It's really no surprise but it's not healthy for a franchise to rely on existing fans. However it's only just out, so a large proportion of the players will be XCOM players who were counting the days until they could get their hands on it.

I wonder how these graphs will look in 2 years' time.

It would help if they stopped making it Steam/DRM only. I'd love for more AAA companies to release DRM free versions on gog. I will only think of buying a game on steam if it is cheap. There's no point in paying full price for a rental.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
23. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Feb 14, 2016, 02:55 Suppa7

jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2016, 01:34:
Oh, no doubt. So instead of buying Battlfield or CoD, buy games that don't pull that kind of bullshit: ArmA, The Witcher, Shadowrun Returns, etc. etc.

Theroetically it'd be nice if the world worked that way but it doesn't. I am one of the original videogaming generation, I watched as games went from something we had on our computers to being cut up into front end client and back end server, instead of being stand alone programs so that you can never own anything you pay for ever again.

Stupid people and Kids don't know any better and they aren't going to deny themselves entertainment if we are honest with ourselves.

This is where marx was right about capitalism and the means of production, since you have no authority or say in how products are produced beyond voting with money, anyone who doesn't care/doesn't know/is ignorant and votes with their money thereby allows corporations to push products on us because the vast majority are stupid and will willingly give over their money thereby giving funds to make big games everyone wants thereby winning over or forcing the hands of the hold outs.

This is exactly how steam came to power and the same way MMO's paved the way for steam and online DRM.

The set of stupid people who keep giving funds to companies is too legion for free market theory to be anything but a fantasy.

21. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Feb 14, 2016, 01:38 Suppa7

jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2016, 01:28:
The solution to this however, is not to break the law. We have yet to make a serious attempt at changing the system from within. Get involved. Back a candidate. There is only one serious candidate for president who opposes the pro-corporate slant (at the expense of the citizenry) our country has been moving toward for the past several decades. Donate and campaign. Put your money where your mouth is.

The problem you are not seeing is that this is not true. You've just demonstrated my point that you aren't even informed enough about how capitalist democracy actually works. You show that you don't really understand the history of imperialism, its relation to big corporations and what they do to people who effect 'their' profits and monopoly on government.

See: The Crisis of democracy

"Intended as an internal document. Good reading to understand the nature of rich democracies and the fact that the common people are not allowed to play a role."

The Crisis of democracy

Amazon book - The Crisis of democracy

Theories of politics - who is represented in capitalist democracy

Princeton study - Do average citizens have any effect on policy/laws?

12. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Feb 13, 2016, 20:09 Suppa7

NKD wrote on Feb 13, 2016, 17:56:
I don't believe anyone who says they pirate a game, play it, and then buy it if they are satisfied. Yeah, maybe they buy it on a Steam sale 2 years later when they want to re-play it, but they aren't slapping down $50-60 when it really counts in the first critical couple weeks of sales. It's too tempting to find excuses to not pay for it once you've already had it for free.

I don't think you really get it, piracy is irrelevant. If what you said was true (aka piracy was really hurting the industry) that would mean the average gamer is informed and capable of punishing game companies. That isn't the average gamer though.

When MMO's Like ultima online and everquest first started, those games paved the way for online DRM. Let's be honest, the people who gave the green light to pay for a game you never own lead to the rise of things like league of legends and steam.

If we're honest with ourselves, for those of us who gamed in the 90's with level editors and open file gaming (aka doom, duke, descent, warcraft level editing, etc). Why the hell would anyone defend not pirating games? Our rights have been so pushed back by big money corporations we can't even get games going into the public domain anytime during our lifetime.

The average person is so stupid, historically illiterate and uninformed they've been basically giving away their rights to own their own culture they pay for, for 100+ years.

If anything we are subsidizing big business, too many people would rather be good little peons.

I'd rather see more of our rights restored. We can't get shit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAR8rWPluQ

... because most gamers are such bent over little anti-intellectual slaves.

Copyright extension act - assrapping us all

Why the hell would you not want more of things like Freespace 2 scp? Open source code for old games so we can modify them and updat them? Where might freespace 2, mechwarrior 2, and warcraft 2 and 3 be if we had the source to these old games?

The above old games outside of those ones whos source we have are frozen in time, they can't be updated by fans. It's a tragedy.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2016, 20:22.

News Comments > PC Need for Speed in March
17. Re: PC Need for Speed in March Feb 13, 2016, 08:45 Suppa7

Avus wrote on Feb 12, 2016, 17:08:
MDB wrote on Feb 12, 2016, 11:34:
At least they brought back the Lil John song from Underground.

Frostbite engine makes me want to nope out of this. Did they learn nothing from The Runs?

Bad racing titles on Frostbite do not mean bad engine.

The best racing game was Most wanted 2005 and the engine that spawned from blackbox to do NFSworld. It was a damn shame NFSworld was taken offline because it had TEAM escape, one of the best modes ever come up with in a racing game.

News Comments > Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter
20. Re: Descent-Inspired OVERLOAD Kickstarter Feb 11, 2016, 21:50 Suppa7

Bub wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 07:41:
It is not enough to slap current textures and models into a six degrees of freedom shooter. Look at Minerwars 2081. Sunk like a stone.

....Many of these new devs just don't put the time into polish and engagement. The original Duke and Descent had levels that had been tuned to a fine edge and lots of player engagement thanks to excellent level flow.

It goes way deeper than that many old games were and are great but older gamers have moved on and many older games had serious problems.

Descent was primarily about multiplayer online, the single player portion of the game wasn't all that great but since descent occupied a niche of flight games it got praise because no one else did it better.

I've thought long and hard about Descent's single player and the real issue is it doesn't hold up, Descent 2 had a great universe with those cutscenes by interplay but they gimped up the story bad in Descent 3, you just needed to keep it simple and vague - evil virus, evil mining corp, exploited mercenary.

Descent 3 they went off the rails and made the levels too big ruining the flow and there were issues with enemy sizes and weapons, the feel of the game was thrown way off.

Descent 2 was my favorite all around. If I were to a reboot/remake I'd look into nix'ing the virus was made by PTMC line and more like the virus was a mysterious life form.

At the end of Descent 2 when the planet itself was a giant alien starship, that was pretty neat. They could have done a lot with that, like some core piece of the starship survives and lives for another day.

News Comments > PC Need for Speed in March
8. Re: PC Need for Speed in March Feb 11, 2016, 21:14 Suppa7

Is this one DRM'd? The last NFS game that I thought was any good was Most wanted (2005). Haven't been a fan of NFS since really, that was the high point of the series for me.  

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed
14. Re: Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed Feb 8, 2016, 02:46 Suppa7

Spaceherpes wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 18:23:
I can't help but feel they are adding it because they (executives) didn't understand why it wasn't the success they were hoping it would be.

This is EA were talking about, they were testing the waters to see how much less game they could get away with for cheap. Multiplayer only games are cheaper on content then single player games with a campaign. They realized that majority of people play games for singleplayer only a subset of games can go multiplayer only and get big.

The same way world of warcraft got real big but many MMO's didn't realize it was a phenomenon unto itself and they were never going to see millions.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - EA on PC Gamer Trust
27. Re: Quoteworthy - EA on PC Gamer Trust Jan 30, 2016, 08:00 Suppa7

Cutter wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 10:23:
I'd respect them more if they were honest. 'We think your garbage and only exist to give us your money. So give it to us and shut your pie holes!'

Your last line is pretty much it, because the free market in gaming can't work. Many bad things in gaming would never get off the ground if those of us who gave a rats ass about owning games were within a couple blcoks of these videogame companies when they were pulling their underhanded bullshit.

Basically the free market can only work when buyer and seller are within asskicking distance of one another. Then the outrage of the customers can be physically directed at the people these companies work at, anything short of that and you get naked criminality. Our whole societies ideology is based on myths and lies regarding human behavior.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - EA on PC Gamer Trust
26. Re: Quoteworthy - EA on PC Gamer Trust Jan 30, 2016, 07:58 Suppa7

Rattlehead wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 09:51:
Out of the big publishers out there, EA is probably one of the better ones. WB however, oh god I how I loathe those fucking mother cunters.

If game companies gave two shits about any of us or gaming, old games would be going into public domain and we'd have awesome shit like the source-code to old games. The developers during the 90's were badass, all we got now are money grubbing criminal fuckwits who don't give back to the community.

Games should enter the Public domain

Tonnes of old games could be modified and updated to continue their life for newer generations of gamer with our current corporate crime snydicate that is unlikely to happen because of how uninformed and poltiically and historically clueless the average gamer is.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2016, 08:13.

News Comments > Try Star Citizen for Free
28. Re: Try Star Citizen for Free Jan 30, 2016, 07:37 Suppa7

LgFriess wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 07:01:
Quinn wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 21:20:
Personally I think E:D is highly overrated and with the stunt they pulled with the pricing on their "expansion" they should get all the heat atm. I paid way too much for a shell of a game with the original E:D and now they ask me to pay the exact same amount again for adding just a tad more depth to a game that was as shallow as a Tunisian mudpuddle to begin with.

My thoughts exactly. So disappointed in E:D.

To be honest anyone who backed elite dangerous should have known that he didn't get anywhere near enough money to make the thing and he was dragging you along if you had any clue how much it costs to make a modern videogame.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 29, 2016, 13:53 Suppa7

LittleMe wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 13:01:
The 'greedy corporations' are a product of financial regulations.

Ahh yes, another free market idiot... you're historically ignorant if you believe the world works anything like it. The financial crisis in 2008 was a result of de-regulation, but it's obvious you don't know jack shit about politics or world affairs.

Where did the money go during the bailout?

Grayson Grills Inspector general of federal reserve (US central bank) which is owned by ... private banks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqM2tFOxLQ

Protectionism for the rich and big business by state intervention...
radical market interference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHj2GaPuEhY#t=349

Energy subsidies

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/survey/so/2015/NEW070215A.htm

News Comments > Offensive Counter-Strike Global Offensive Severs Closed
4. Re: Offensive Counter-Strike Global Offensive Severs Closed Jan 29, 2016, 13:45 Suppa7

InBlack wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 12:13:
So much for being mod friendly...

And gabe once again proves he's a money grubbing asshole and gamers are stupid.

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Announced
9. Re: Hard Reset Redux Announced Jan 28, 2016, 06:56 Suppa7

Beamer wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 23:30:
I picked this one up due to praise here but it never worked for me. Enemies weren't fun, weapon system wasn't fun, levels were very narrow corridors. It was just bland for me.

I think its more peoples aesthetic taste than anything. The gameplay is fine and is better than most mainstream fps games at the time of its release.

Hard reset was one of the first few FPS in a long time (at the time) that paid homage to Doom/Duke 3D style of fast paced fps combat. I enjoyed hard reset, I hated how it ended in the middle of the game and they had to release extended edition when first released.

The game totally feels made by nerdy gamers who grew up during the 90's style fps and that is overall a good thing. It was far from perfect but its something really only that generation gamers can appreciate. Shadow warrior 2013 is a case in point. It harkens back to Duke 3D/shadow warrior days where you had big levels you could explore, the same guys who made Hard reset went on to make shadow warrior because others in the industry were so impressed with hard reset.

You don't get to make shadow warrior if the previous game you made really was shit.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
26. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 14:30 Suppa7

Kxmode wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 10:57:
I'm not sure what you mean with "background in AAA". What's "AAA"?

"AAA" (triple A) means big budget games from big companies that people care about like say Mass effect 2 or Supreme commander. When the whole crowdfunding thing took off, anyone with any idea of how much game development costs have increased from the 90's into the 2000's and the huge problems developers had transitioning from small teams to teams of hundreds which caused a lot of cock-ups in games released during those periods knew to be massively skeptical. Because they were in the know of how hard it is to make games and the bigger the scope of the game the higher the risk of disaster, more people, more more work, points of failure, etc.

The further you go back in time the less work a typical videogame was to produce in that it was more manageable in terms of man hours/talent to produce focused serious games. This means while many uglier (by modern standards) games during the 90's got produced, they also had a tendency to be more focused and less disaster prone because the time to make models/artwork/etc was not as time consuming. This lead to a cottage industry of gamers/amateurs modding games during gamings golden years during the 90's. Things that have been severely curtailed post in the post 2000 era as developers shifted to locked down platforms like consoles for easy $ for the new kiddies growing up.

For those of us who follow or work in the game industry we have a good idea of what making certain kinds of games cost and being able to predict whether a game will be good or not before development even starts by looking at who's involved and the budget.

Whether a game is good or not has a lot do with the team size, the scope of the game and the time available for the team to actually make the thing.

News Comments > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Announced
14. Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Announced Jan 27, 2016, 02:29 Suppa7

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 18:15:
I agree, but Devastation visually nailed the cartoon, but had no desire to play it after watching some gameplay videos.

Tragically the gameplay isn't deep enough, it's basically a really cut down version of bayonetta's combat system dressed up with transformers graphics.

Overall the levels were too uninspired and many design decisions were pretty bizarre to say the least. The story just had to be the worst, Fall of cybertron did an amazing job at world building... and making the game feel like a loving homage to the cartoon. Devastation has none of that love tragically.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
16. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 02:10 Suppa7

Kxmode wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 00:58:
I'm done with crowdfunding and early access. Battletech is going to be the last crowdfunded game I back. What Inxile is doing seems like a sucker punch to those who backed high amounts for early access Alphas and Betas.

Not really, the reality is they will try to get as much money as possible because making AAA games on shoestring budgets is really what has been causing the kickstarter disasters. The reason things like planetary annihilation and others were so controversially fucked up is that it didn't take in enough money to make the thing.

Anyone with any background in AAA knew kickstarter/crowdfunding is simply not giving enough to fund the games.

The reality is game developers know gamers are stupid and easily exploitable, the rise of MMO's, steam and F2p is a case in point. The reality is most gamers are so passive and eager to get a game they will take anything up the ass from the corporate world.

5. Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Announced Jan 26, 2016, 12:39 Suppa7

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 11:43:
Sorta surprised they didn't give it the Cartoon look like the last Transformers game, but pleasantly surprised/glad they didn't.

The transformers game that copied the 80's cell shaded style jarred with the conventional game background to a huge extent.

The first two transformers games, war for cybertron and fall of cybertron were overall superior. Fall of cybertron being the best.

4. Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Announced Jan 26, 2016, 12:36 Suppa7

personman145 wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 10:33:
I don't care for the cartoony look, but the gameplay looks like it could be good fun.

Well considering most TMNT games have their origin in the cartoons. The popular heights of which were the TMNT arcade games during the 90's. No one should be surprised at the cell shading really.

TMNT Arcade pic

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Jan 26, 2016, 10:45 Suppa7

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 19:58:
TotalBiscuit says everyone makes him miserable. Not a big surprise. RIP

The internet gathers all the stupid from across the planet, no one should be surprised the internet is little better than a glorified public toilet.

553 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo