Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sink

Real Name Sink   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Suppa7
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2012, 04:58
Total Comments 321 (Amateur)
User ID 57312

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Frontier Announces Coaster Park Tycoon & Layoffs
15. Re: Frontier Announces Coaster Park Tycoon & Layoffs Jan 27, 2015, 08:49 Suppa7

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 08:27:
Jackplug wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 06:45:
Not something that you want to hear from a company that just released an online only game!
Not really sure how that has anything to do with Elite.

They don't want microtransactions/online DRM in the "tycoon" franchise of games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 27, 2015, 06:30 Suppa7

DarkCntry wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 10:14:
I *really* hope this is a joke...

MMO's were once a joke, then DRM was once a joke, then always online was once a joke, every "joke" a sizeable number of ignorant fucks overcomes. The gaming masses are just fucking subhuman at this point.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
17. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 26, 2015, 00:41 Suppa7

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 20:40:
That analogy is terrible, actually. There's nothing stopping some other company or group from creating their own games portal. Steam is just really fucking great at what it does, and it would take a lot for a competitor to offer real competition. Broadband is completely different. There are things stopping someone new from entering the fray. That's an actual monopoly.

You're missing the point, the world does not work on free market theory. It works according to the laws of nature. Consider Windows Vs Linux. Game portals are like operating systems. People have no reason to switch.

The videogame market is one giant lesson that free market theory is false, the human mind simply doesn't work in any kind of rational way. Nowhere is this more apparent with the rise of DRM and Steam to begin with. Having our games chained to a server back end, with no dedicated servers and files that are encrypted with a shitty "steam service agreement" is in no way healthy for the game market.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong $1M Mini-Campaign Goal
11. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong $1M Mini-Campaign Goal Jan 25, 2015, 06:13 Suppa7

Saboth wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 18:04:
I just finished up the original, "Shadowrun Returns" today. I wasn't too impressed. The story wasn't great, combat was kind of tedious, and the game felt more like a point and click murder mystery adventure with a few fights thrown in than something resembling X-Com. Limited money, limited upgrades, items, gear, etc. I've heard the Dragonfall game is superior, so I might pick that up on the next sale.

You have to remember the severe budget constraint they were under. Not to mention they haven't been making these kinds of games for a long long time. So teams go through a teething period while learning to make a kind of game. You can see this in any game with many sequels, I started Ace combat at Ace combat 5, I can't go back to previous ace combats because of that. You can see all the mistakes the team made and how awful many previous ace combats were.

Teams get better as they revise the game and add more from one sequel to the next. It's not always true but in many cases it is for a genre the team isn't good at or knows much about.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch
14. Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 06:09 Suppa7

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 17:51:
What a weird world we live in where customers themselves fund games before they're even made.

Given how rotten the game industry has become, you have to remember many of us have been starving for a space game for a long time. Chris just came along at the right time and there was a new generation of stupid people to take advantage of as well as old nostalgic fans.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Announced
25. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 05:07 Suppa7

fiftykyu wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 21:28:
but somehow when I sit down to play I lose interest. Maybe you just can't go home again...

You can with the right games. Shovel Knight was a great tribute to megaman/Zelda 2. I'm looking forward Shadowrun hongkong. I picked up shadowrun after dragonfall. I wasn't too impressed with returns but dragonfall held my attention. Shadowrun has been the few getting better and better with each iteration as the team gets "back in the groove".

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Announced
24. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 05:03 Suppa7

Axis wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 23:51:
We're inspired by nostalgia, have fun for the honeymoon period of playtime, then reluctantly admit we've seen and done it hundreds of times before in as many different ways and move on... oddly satisfied.

Some styles of gameplay never go out of style, and many didn't have the chance (at the time) to gain traction. I remember shadowrun from the NES cartridge renting days for fucks sakes. It made an impact and Shadowrun returns was good enough (showed the team had skills) and now they are making hong kong.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
15. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 24, 2015, 08:14 Suppa7

Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 19:50:
Oh please. Crowdsourcing is already on the decline in a big way all around. People are already tired of scams, unfinished projects, things not turning out as they expected and/or wanted, those who can afford to do their own stuff asking for money, etc. A lot of people are just tired of everyone always seeming to have their hand out for everything these days, I know I am. I have to find ways to grow my business without crowdfunding, if you can't manage that you probably don't belong in business for yourself anyway.

There has been some successes.

Faster than light

Faster than light

Shadowrun returns (and dragonfall)

Shadowrun Returns

Distance

Distance

Shovel Knight

Shovel Knight

And more I've forgotten the names of.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sells > 1M
19. Re: Alien: Isolation Sells > 1M Jan 22, 2015, 04:43 Suppa7

siapnar wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 20:23:
Is it worth playing past the 10 hour mark if I get this game? I hear it just falls into more repetitive and frustrating territory

Krovven wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 17:27:
Am I the only one that thinks 1 million seems really low for multi-platform release with AAA production and the Alien IP?
I thought this as well. A ton of exposure for this game, as well.

The game isn't that great, Aliens is really an FPS or action game (in the vein of prince of persia) based property.

Aliens is a movie property and it needs to be well adapted for games as a medium, not try to import the movie aspects into the games. Games and movies are fundamentally different.

News Comments > Diablo III Lag Fixed
8. Re: Diablo III Lag Fixed Jan 22, 2015, 01:27 Suppa7

Slick wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 18:02:
who the fuck still plays this? or i guess a better question is: how many times can a sane person repeat the exact same dungeons over and over and over? 5? 10? 50? 100? 1000?

New people are born every day guys, it's not always the same group of people playing because people discover the game at different times. Not everyone follows games or buys games immediately after launch and plays them to death.

News Comments > John Romero Plays DOOM; Spills Beans
10. Re: John Romero Plays DOOM; Spills Beans Jan 22, 2015, 01:21 Suppa7

Wraith wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 14:02:
Fuck, is this no-talent bozo STILL riding John Carmack's coat-tails?

Give it up John. Doom was good because of Carmack's engine. Quake was good because of Carmack's engine. You're a fucking level designer for fuck's sake.

This should be called "John Romero plays DOOM, bores onlookers."

Man you are retarded, after romero split. iD stopped making fun single player campaigns. I hated quakes single player and it was obvious that iD couldn't do single player after the doom team members went their separate ways. Quake was all about the multi, the single player of quake was always shit. Quake 1 + 2 were total shit single player if you had played doom before.

If in doubt look at quake 4 and quake wars, total fucking disasters because they lost the people who understood gaming was about fun. Romero was part of my gaming generation and we were bored of FPS games and always trying to find something new. I've been bored of most games since around 2000 with the rare hits every console cycle. We've had a flood of first person shooter games since Doom, the "fps craze" never ended, FPS became the staple go to genre for gaming.

Halo, titan fall, mass effect (2-3), Call of duty, Battlefield, etc, are all descendants of doom whether you like it or not.

We used to get some real off the wall stuff in that generation like Oni, NOLF and Shogo Mobile armor division. Try finding shit like that today.

Serious sam: the first encounter + 2nd encounter is basically a spiritual doom1/2 successor. Why? Because it understands doom was about crazy over the top carnage and action. The early Serious sams are probably the most under-rated game series in all of gaming because they are pure gameplay based games. Not movie based bullshit for reflex retards we got shoved down our throats today.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 18, 2015, 18:10 Suppa7

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 14:30:
This list is an incredible display of shitty taste. Shame on you, my dear fellow PC gamers. Maybe this week we can return to some standards after buying shit for the lulz last week... pretty please?

Gamers have been stupid since forever, in the 90's we got an endless number of first person shooter clones and it never really stopped. Every other game was a first person shooter soon after doom was released and it sucked, it crowded out other genres on the PC.

6DOF, space sims, mech warrior style games, 2D hexagon based strategy games like panzer/fantasy general and others all gave way to an endless stream of first person shooters that has never stopped. First person shooters are THE most released type of game in gaming.

The fact that steams DRM won and MMO's like ultima online and everquest became popular is overwhelming evidence that most gamers have always been stupid.

This stupidity allowed the rise of MMO/F2P/online drm.

News Comments > Turtle Rock on Evolve DLC Backlash
19. Re: Turtle Rock on Evolve DLC Backlash Jan 15, 2015, 11:45 Suppa7

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 11:29:
Gamers will vote with wallets, we shall see.

Gamers are idiots, they fed the beast that became steam and MMO's thereby paving the way for always online DRM.

The free market can only exist if you have people intelligent enough to make valid decisions and punish companies, otherwise you get criminal behavior.

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
32. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 16:13 Suppa7

NetHead wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 10:47:
Creative Labs is such an incredibly scummy company, if anything they are the bane of audio in gaming especially.

Tragically enough you're right about the scummy part, you're wrong about the audio part. Audio in PC's has never been as popular as video cards. Most importantly most people are tech illiterate, that's the reason A3D as a company bought the bucket.

Any add in board is still miles above onboard audio if you are doing any recording at all. If all you're doing is just playing games, then onboard is fine. But once you get to recording stuff or ripping stuff in a sophisticated way you need an add in board.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 30, 2014, 16:44 Suppa7

Cutter wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:54:
Well stop fucking using social media than and problem solved. Honestly, the way people go on about this shit when there's an such an obvious solution.

People are not free, nor rational. The human mind didn't evolve based on the idea of free choice or free market theory. The human brain simply doesn't work like this. Our society is organized around the philosophical basis that human beings are "free" to "decide" when the evidence is overwhelming in the other camp: That human beings are not free and the whole idea of responsibility is flawed.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released
52. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 11:58 Suppa7

Beamer wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 10:19:
Never trust someone calling himself "elite."

GTFO.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released
28. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 03:17 Suppa7

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 21:53:
It is just one more object lesson they are going to learn with bitter tears.

Gamers don't learn, fuck we saw the rise of MMO's (when we the elite gamers knew they were DRM games and thought MMO players were chumps during ultima online days). Then game steam that trojan horsed it's way into existence through half-life and counterstrike. Then came World of warcraft and charging money for changning servers/pets, and then league of legends where you 'buy' skins for a game you never fucking own. Mankind is a retarded monkey.

If anything it proves mankind is at subhuman levels of intelligence.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 20, 2014, 17:29 Suppa7

DangerDog wrote on Dec 20, 2014, 16:02:
If the government really had internet customers interests in mind then they would hold all of these ISP's to task over not fulfilling the mandate set forth in the 1996 telecommunications act.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070810_002683.html

The publics of the world are just at fucking chimp levels of intelligence regarding how their own political system works and world affairs.

National security advisor says that americans are "stunningly ignorant"

Reasoning and the human brain doesn't work the way we thought it did:

Science on reasoning

Manufacturing consent

Manufacturing consent

The real news:

The real news network

Democracy Incorporated

Shadow government

National security government

Look at the following graphs:

Wealth inequality graphs

Who rules america wealth study

And then...

WIKILEAKS: U.S. Fought To Lower Minimum Wage In Haiti So Hanes And Levis Would Stay Cheap

US fought to lower Minimum wage in Haiti

Vid

Free markets?

Conservative nanny state - huge state subsidies

Free trade?

Declining wages

Empire of illusion

"We now live in two Americas. One—now the minority—functions in a print-based, literate world that can cope with complexity and can separate illusion from truth. The other—the majority—is retreating from a reality-based world into one of false certainty and magic. To this majority—which crosses social class lines, though the poor are overwhelmingly affected—presidential debate and political rhetoric is pitched at a sixth-grade reading level. In this “other America,” serious film and theater, as well as newspapers and books, are being pushed to the margins of society.

In the tradition of Christopher Lasch’s The Culture of Narcissism and Neil Postman’s Amusing Ourselves to Death, Pulitzer Prize-winner Chris Hedges navigates this culture—attending WWF contests, the Adult Video News Awards in Las Vegas, and Ivy League graduation ceremonies—to expose an age of terrifying decline and heightened self-delusion."

Important history:

History of american empire

Why regulations don't work

News Comments > Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month
19. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 18, 2014, 01:00 Suppa7

GL1zdA wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 03:58:
The important fact is the first game allowed them to further develop and expand the game. I think this is what matters - to have a stable platform they could improve (not build another one from scratch) and spend most of their resources on content.

If they want to develop another campaign through Kickstarter I will definitely back the project.

I agree, it's just sad they stopped asking for money after the kickstarter. I didn't even hear about the kickstarter until long after it finished. People just assume that if you do a kickstarter people will know, they shouldn't. Advertising matters. I missed a cubic ass tonne of kickstarters I would have loved to know about.

Game developers really have a hard time getting shit out there and keeping it permanent. If anything I don't know why the guys behind kickstarter just don't do permanent crowdfunding campaign that allows people to give money after the kickstarter is done. Love or hate Star citizen but Chris roberts really showed us that you got to put effort into your fundraising if you want it to continue. No one would have expected that level of funding. I think many game devs are not really trying all that hard. It can't take a genius to setup your own crowdfunding site.

News Comments > Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month
11. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 21:49 Suppa7

Deathhead wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 20:11:
tskiller wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:44:
Umm, why do they need another kickstarter? Didn't they make any money from the first game?

This is a niche game, they may not have sold a lot of copies outside of the kickstarter game, thus the need for more money when developing a new title.

The reality is the first game wasn't all that great and it took until dragonall before you could even customize characters. So the "real game" didn't even get made compared to how Shadowrun is supposed to be.

They made a lot of concessions and it took forever to get shit right.

321 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo