Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for chickenboo

Real Name chickenboo   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 19, 2012, 18:37
Total Comments 35 (Suspect)
User ID 57305
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Overwatch Origins Edition Details
5. Re: Overwatch Origins Edition Details Nov 6, 2015, 16:22 chickenboo
Personally I find their character designs to be hackneyed stereotypes, eg the Indian Brahman healer, the snazzy female sniper, the big beefy gorilla warrior, the Jamaican pothead DJ dude. From the videos I've seen it also feels like the weapons lack "oomph", like all the weapons have the force of a weak laser behind them. I felt the characters of TF2 were refreshing and genuinely funny, maybe now they're kind of unoriginal and silly, but personally I feel like Blizz is trying to duplicate TF2's success. I do like how the level designs are colorful and dense, it looks very WoW'ish, like the faction bases in the MoP expansion. It's an okay look. However I don't think the game will do very well, but then, Hearthstone and Heroes has taken off pretty well, so maybe it will surprise me.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Shovel Knight Retail Release
1. Re: Shovel Knight Retail Release Nov 4, 2015, 10:50 chickenboo
I really enjoy this game, and I'm glad Yacht Club Games have had such a successful Kickstarter campaign that has lead to a game as good as this. Great example of Kickstarter being effective.  
News Comments > Overwatch Beta This Month
10. Re: Overwatch Beta This Month Oct 15, 2015, 09:00 chickenboo
Hurry up with that station!
God damn I miss Tribes so much...
News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2015, 11:27 chickenboo
Wasn't the driver under the influence as well?  
News Comments > Torchlight Burns Out Runic
30. Re: Torchlight Burns Out Runic Sep 1, 2015, 20:18 chickenboo
No really they tried and failed with Torchlight.

It's definitely not as good as Diablo 2. No other ARPG is as good as Diablo 2: it's the pinnacle of the genre! But saying they failed isn't very accurate. It's a good game, just not Diablo 2-good. But for those of us who safely have several hundred hours of D2 under their belt and want something similar, TL2 fills that want aptly. I think it's pretty unfair to say they failed with the TL series.
News Comments > Trine 3 Released
5. Re: Trine 3 Released Aug 21, 2015, 09:29 chickenboo
Great coop game.  
News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
18. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 13:27 chickenboo
Agreed, pretty weak argument. The hate for Witcher 3 on Blues seems to be pretty pathetic IMO.  
News Comments > Trine 3 This Month
3. Re: Trine 3 This Month Aug 4, 2015, 20:00 chickenboo
Finally a game my GF will play with me because it's cooperative rather than competitive. Fun and beautiful too. One feature the game needs is female alternatives for the warrior and wizard: my GF prefers the archer simply because the character is female...  
News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials; WoW at 5.6M Subs
12. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials; WoW at 5.6M Subs Aug 4, 2015, 19:57 chickenboo
You have the right of it -- Blizzard is failing to innovate, and part of the reason for that, IMO, is they have a lack of talented staff. Their team probably isn't as large as it ought to be for the scope or quality necessary to bring subscription levels back to Wrath's heights. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that their isn't very much interest within today's talented developers to lead the WoW project. I think of it like Walter White's dilemma between being an employee for Gus Fring, and raking in a large stable income, but ultimately being beholden to an employer who requires certain quotas and expectations -- or being his own employee and operating his own business where he can set his own goals. I imagine that most talented game designers and devs out there would prefer to work on their own project, or an original project, than to continue the story of a decade old MMO, stuck in 2004's mechanisms, and have to balance the 11 classes between PVE and PVP and tolerate the bickering of millions of angry players...
I'll read with interest about WoW and MMOs but I'm not going back to it.
News Comments > Fallout 4 "Basically Done"
48. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 19:51 chickenboo
I'm fed up with developers sticking to what works and creating entry upon entry within each series. Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim; C&C Red Alert 3; Assassin's Creed 5 Unity; Fallout 4; Far Cry 4; Wolfenstein TNO (tho I did love The Old Blood); the list goes on. It's just like the rehashing of films from the 90s and 80s, it's not fresh material, it's just remaking the same thing I've already experienced.

The games which have delighted me the most in the last five years have been Faster Than Light, Alien Isolation, Trine 2 (coop, never played Trine 1), and Team Fortress 2. All have been fresh, exciting experiences for me that had me pining for more time to play them when I was out doing things.
News Comments > World of Warcraft PvP Mercenary Mode Plans
5. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 16, 2015, 21:00 chickenboo
I don't think I've done PvP in WoW (on purpose) since Wintergrasp. I really miss that zone.

I don't want to play WoD or Pandaland or Cataclysm, I want to play the Lich King expansion. And Wintergrasp most of all. It's kind of sad that we can't really experience that feeling again in an official capacity -- I'm not going to attempt private servers.
But since I can't play WG, I'll just play Witcher 3 or TF2 or whatever else is good.
News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Gun Metal Update
6. Re: Team Fortress 2 Gun Metal Update Jul 3, 2015, 20:45 chickenboo
I love TF2 and I'm happy it's still being improved and supported by the dev team. Sure, the Witcher 3 is out, and I have a large backlog of games, but this is the only online FPS I need. More fun than CS:GO. And I haven't spent a dime on the game since I bought it at launch.  
News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
46. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 25, 2015, 23:14 chickenboo
Yes, and I think for Everquest 1, with the release of The Serpent's Spine expansion, the base game and all previous expansions were granted with purchase of TSS. Every subsequent expansion released included all previous expansions. This saved new players a huge pile of money since expansions ranged from $5 in the bargain bin to up to $50 brand new, and there are 21 expansions now.
However this is a poor example, as 21 expansions is quite different from GW2's one single expansion. The way I see it, current players are paying $50 for an expansion long overdue and long in the making. There's very little choice either, if you want to continue playing with your friends and guildies, you buy the expansion, otherwise you languish in the base game with the lowbies. Also, since there's no subscription fee for GW2, this is really rather a good deal. It could have been $50 AND $15/month.
News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
43. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:18 chickenboo
I played and beat Fallout 2 maybe four times before Fallout 3 came out. Played and beat F3 once, never loaded it again. I'll pass on Fallout 4, and happily evade the ensuing hype train prior to release. There's tons and tons of other games to play and think about, and while this trailer looks alright, I think I'm just finished with that style of gameplay.  
News Comments > Overwatch Video
13. Re: Overwatch Video May 27, 2015, 22:27 chickenboo
Not really impressed too much. I don't see any objectives. It's squad based, but this class doesn't seem to benefit her party or gain anything from working together... I also can't tell what her ability does or how the class is superior to the rest. It can teleport forward to escape harm... but is it weaker in another way?

We already have Team Fortress 2, which this seems to emulating, or trying to be. TF2 IMO is perfected team-based objective FPS. Every class has its pros and cons, every class contributes to the team and the goal, and every class is necessary for certain choke points, certain map points, certain objectives, or certain goals. Spies and scouts are weak, but are excellent for sneak-capping a point, harassing the enemy, killing important enemy classes; Medics keep the team alive and allow the team to break through a choke point; Heavies lay down suppressing fire and intimidate the enemy team, etc. I guess I don't see how these classes in Overwatch contribute to the goal or the team at all. Which makes the classes really just weapon loadouts.

Is this game going to be F2P? Because I don't see myself even trying it if it isn't...
News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint
18. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 11:02 chickenboo
It was my game of 2014 too, incredible graphics and sound design, strong AI, immersive atmosphere. It's sad that it didn't sell more units, because it really deserves to. I also agree with another poster above saying that the market for games is heavily saturated. There's so much gaming goodness out there, and my time is quite limited, so I only buy certain games, and many of them I can wait for it to drop in price. The new Dragon Age, for example, the news has dried up and conversation about it has dried up too, except perhaps on the official game's forums. When it drops to $15 or $20 I'll grab it, but now that the buzz has died down, I don't really feel compelled to purchase.
Hell, even the GTA V buzz is dying down already except for mod news. Witcher 3 may be the most anticipated release this year but I bet by July the gaming news industry will be pointing at a new title and hyping it for us...
News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
60. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:30 chickenboo
Orogogus wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:26:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:18:
I think the main problem is that now there's no incentive at all for modders to offer anything for free.

What incentive did they have before, other than there not being an alternative? I mean, these people could have just not made mods.

It used to be about being part of a community sharing a hobby. Now it's going to be about demanding compensation for your work putting together a mod, and screw those greedy lazy PC gamers who demand your mod for free!
Another thing that worries me is if Steam will attempt to shut down mod websites.
56. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:27 chickenboo
Yeah I don't see much incentive either, but in the coming months I think there will be a gradual slide towards the zero cents price point as more and more and more users post their mod for sale rather than for free download. As more mods are up for purchase, the market will become saturated and it will be better to offer your mod for free and request donations on some website off-steam.
Besides, I suspect that word of mouth and the Steam comment review system will root out the "worth it" mods which people will grudgingly pay for, and the rest which aren't worth the $1 or $0.25 transaction fee the author requests.
52. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:15 chickenboo
Narf2029 wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 15:58:
I'm not worried a whole lot. All this does is shorten a game's life. If I want to mod a game, I'll find free mods. If there aren't any free mods that do what I want, the game goes on the shelf for a few months or more while I play any of a hundred things I own but have yet to try. I love Skyrim but the free things I have now are more than enough.

Wait until these modders get a taste of reality. First, a lot of them are going to be shocked at how small their cut of the action is. Second, and probably most important, if people are going to pay for a mod they are going to expect it to work flawlessly the first time. They are going to be a lot less tolerant of excuses. When a patch comes down and breaks that mod, customers are going to expect that to be fixed in a matter of hours, not days or weeks. When a mod is released with any bugs, people who paid for it are going to latch onto those bugs like stink on shit and rate that mod into the ground. Give this system a couple months and no sane solo modder will charge for their work.

You make a very good (and original!) point here that I haven't seen in the three hours I've been reading comments around the net on this issue. You're exactly right in that when a mod is broken and not immediately fixed, it will begin to accrue down votes, which will lower its rating. Any mod with less than 5/5 or 4/5 star rating will be overlooked by the majority of players. Placing a mod with less than 4 stars behind a paywall is a surefire way to ensure you make no sales.
It's quite possible then, that given enough time, nobody will charge for mods unless it consistently gets 5/5 ratings, and if they demonstrate reactive updates when the mod breaks.
News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2015, 00:58 chickenboo
UPDATE: Due to a driver update issue, SLI was originally disabled when we first ran this story. We have since re-ran the benchmark with SLI enabled and the frame rates have improved noticeably.
This is down at the end of their article. So the game runs fine then? I'm confused.
Anyways it sounds like the game isn't very well optimized for most players. I'm running an fx6300 and an r9 270, so I'm not very optimistic about my own performance. I expect in a few months there will be a number of fan-made patches and mods to improve performance... I don't intend on buying now anyways.
35 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News logo