Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for chickenboo

Real Name chickenboo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 19, 2012, 18:37
Total Comments 19 (Suspect)
User ID 57305

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
60. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:30 chickenboo

Orogogus wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:26:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:18:
I think the main problem is that now there's no incentive at all for modders to offer anything for free.

What incentive did they have before, other than there not being an alternative? I mean, these people could have just not made mods.

It used to be about being part of a community sharing a hobby. Now it's going to be about demanding compensation for your work putting together a mod, and screw those greedy lazy PC gamers who demand your mod for free!
Another thing that worries me is if Steam will attempt to shut down mod websites.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:27 chickenboo

Yeah I don't see much incentive either, but in the coming months I think there will be a gradual slide towards the zero cents price point as more and more and more users post their mod for sale rather than for free download. As more mods are up for purchase, the market will become saturated and it will be better to offer your mod for free and request donations on some website off-steam.
Besides, I suspect that word of mouth and the Steam comment review system will root out the "worth it" mods which people will grudgingly pay for, and the rest which aren't worth the $1 or $0.25 transaction fee the author requests.

52. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:15 chickenboo

Narf2029 wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 15:58:
I'm not worried a whole lot. All this does is shorten a game's life. If I want to mod a game, I'll find free mods. If there aren't any free mods that do what I want, the game goes on the shelf for a few months or more while I play any of a hundred things I own but have yet to try. I love Skyrim but the free things I have now are more than enough.

Wait until these modders get a taste of reality. First, a lot of them are going to be shocked at how small their cut of the action is. Second, and probably most important, if people are going to pay for a mod they are going to expect it to work flawlessly the first time. They are going to be a lot less tolerant of excuses. When a patch comes down and breaks that mod, customers are going to expect that to be fixed in a matter of hours, not days or weeks. When a mod is released with any bugs, people who paid for it are going to latch onto those bugs like stink on shit and rate that mod into the ground. Give this system a couple months and no sane solo modder will charge for their work.

You make a very good (and original!) point here that I haven't seen in the three hours I've been reading comments around the net on this issue. You're exactly right in that when a mod is broken and not immediately fixed, it will begin to accrue down votes, which will lower its rating. Any mod with less than 5/5 or 4/5 star rating will be overlooked by the majority of players. Placing a mod with less than 4 stars behind a paywall is a surefire way to ensure you make no sales.
It's quite possible then, that given enough time, nobody will charge for mods unless it consistently gets 5/5 ratings, and if they demonstrate reactive updates when the mod breaks.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2015, 00:58 chickenboo

UPDATE: Due to a driver update issue, SLI was originally disabled when we first ran this story. We have since re-ran the benchmark with SLI enabled and the frame rates have improved noticeably.
This is down at the end of their article. So the game runs fine then? I'm confused.
Anyways it sounds like the game isn't very well optimized for most players. I'm running an fx6300 and an r9 270, so I'm not very optimistic about my own performance. I expect in a few months there will be a number of fan-made patches and mods to improve performance... I don't intend on buying now anyways.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Free
38. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 21:08 chickenboo

Before digital delivery services, I remember gaming magazines (and myself) griping about the high price of games and how much of that price was due to publisher fees, delivery fees, and shelving fees. Part of the idea of digital delivery services was to cut out the middlemen between the gamer and the developer, to cut out the publishing costs, shipping costs, and shelf costs, of games so gamers could enjoy lower prices and stop supporting annoying store fronts. I think on balance, Steam and services like it have been a massive boon to PC gaming. OTOH, hearing about their 30% up-front fee makes it sound as if all those cost-cutting gains have been lost. We've merely replaced several middle-men with one middleman.
I'm not anti-Steam by any means, and I'm glad to see Steam investing in new technology with their profits rather than mailing them off to shareholders. Also, I expect competition among content delivery services to be beneficial, provided they avoid making exclusive zones - the way Origin does (I may buy FC3 from Ubi but I want to play it with Steam, not their dumb software.)
Case in point, if you buy PoE from Obsidian's website, it's $44.99, but on Steam it's $49.99. So I'm paying $5 to activate it on Steam? hmmmmmm...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
51. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2015, 19:42 chickenboo

I think I got a copy when I was in high school, but it was more for the shock value. That must have been one of the first instances of public fear of what the internet/www could muster, it being a relatively new technology and all.  

News Comments > HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed
22. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 1, 2015, 19:39 chickenboo

i must be the only one who doesn't really want HL3, it was a great game for its time, but where I played through HL at least five times, I played through HL2 twice and haven't gone back since. I guess I'm just not feeling the hype.  

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Trailer
5. Re: Homeworld Remastered Trailer Feb 19, 2015, 12:54 chickenboo

I'm not ready to plunk down fresh cash at full price for a game I already own and have beaten several times over. Come the Steam Sale this summer, if it's 50% off, I'll grab it then. That's the good thing about remastered old games, I guess, I'm in no hurry to replay it, and waiting out a big discount will be worth my time.  

News Comments > Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought
33. Re: Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought Feb 18, 2015, 13:50 chickenboo

The scary thing is what if it catches on?
EA: Who wants to create CoD 12? Whoever recieves the most funding from a kickstarter campaign with our IP gets the rights to make the game and share in the profits. Just don't come to us expecting any funding help!
Console Owner #1: CoD Kickstarter? shutup and take my money!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 21:53 chickenboo

People are still paying for DayZ, a game full of bugs and hackers? On a positive note though, it is nice to see Grim Fandango on this list, as well as the Homeworld remaster. I may pay for those yet...  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 28, 2015, 13:50 chickenboo

Okay, but isn't this just an extension of the service model of game delivery? Take Steam for instance: when you buy a game on steam, you buy the right to access the game from their library. Steam can revoke this contract at any time and at that time, you will no longer own the game. Or at least that's my understanding of how Steam works.
So for EA, they could easily implement a function where you can access any game at any time, and after 15 minutes of play, your account would be charged X amount per 15 minutes, up to a maximum of the $60 box cost. This way, games are provided more as a service, and less as a discrete purchase. This also allows EA to control the service in the way they want.
Ugh, I hate referring to games as "services" but that's the model for MMOs currently and I think it's just too convenient for publishing and development houses to adopt the model themselves.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2015, 14:33 chickenboo

Three Avatars? Nobody asked for this! /weep

The money must've been such a big draw for Cameron that he just couldn't say no. Wasn't Avatar one of the highest grossing movies worldwide? Think of the take Cameron could get from royalties from three movies, or even 5% of worldwide revenues, on three sequels to one of the best selling movies to date. He could pull a Scrooge McDuck!

News Comments > WildStar Changes Planned
7. Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 14:17 chickenboo

I still get an MMO itch every now and then, but I know there's nothing that can scratch it. My expectations are for an experience that is an idealization based only off the fun I have had in previous MMOs. Obviously not a realistic expectation for several reasons, chief among those is me and my friends being older and having less time to devote to such an endeavor.

I perpetually have that itch. I've gone back to EQ and WoW many times, and the itch is only briefly satisfied before the game stops scratching it. I just don't have the time to invest in these games anymore, and because of that, I can't convince myself to play them, since I know that I'll be blocked from obtaining the gear I want because I have to first spend x amount of time levelling, pre-gearing, skilling up, farming money, etc. I just don't see the point anymore.
I think this process, this game design, worked well for a long time, but now my taste in video games has changed and I've come to appreciate pure skill style games more, where the enjoyment is more about reaction, quick thinking, or puzzles. But I remain frustrated, because since Diablo released in 1996, and through six years of EQ and three years of WoW, I've trained myself to desire drawn-out rewards style gameplay. And it really is satisfying when you finally achieve max level, best-in-slot gear, and all the little trinkets and toys and fancy swords and epics to go along with that. I just don't have the time to do that anymore -- but part of me still wants it.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
83. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 11, 2014, 16:07 chickenboo

I know, right? I feel bad for the developers having to obey their idiot producers and higher-ups wanting sales "Now Godammit!" when there's all sorts of bugs and problems and ugly UIs that need fixing. Hence why I haven't picked it up yet, Skyrim stung me once already on release with that terrible, horrible, no good base UI. That and the tactical camera, when those are fixed, I'll buy it. I'm a patient type and the August Steam Sale set me up with enough gaming goodness that I could wait six months for all I care...  

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder)
42. Re: Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder) Dec 11, 2014, 16:03 chickenboo

Glad to see I'm not the only one enjoying Hard setting. It's refreshing to be issued a challenge in a game, rather than plowing over enemies that don't shoot back, etc. And yes, my play through has been a lot of trial and error, and has included a LOT of hiding my face when the Alien rips the door off the locker I was hiding in. But it's still quite fun, and I'm going to try Nightmare mode after I finish Hard. I haven't completed one play through yet, however...
I think half ammo for the flamethrower would be a good change, and possibly the chance of misfire, say, 30%, so I'm less inclined to just walk the halls, while simply warding away Mr.Annoying Stalker with the flamer when he comes near. Or perhaps certain rooms have mild gas leaks which would prevent the use of weapons, so I'm really forced to sneak and hide.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2014, 15:06 chickenboo

I just learned about Brutal Doom a few weeks ago! It's an absolute blast to play, I love the "fatalities", the death animations, all of the enemies are far more deadly, the pseudo-3d improvements, the Duke3d kick and the F-key. Great mod!  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Feb 4, 2014, 12:55 chickenboo

Completely agree. What the author failed to mention explicitly is that when copyright expires, the original owners still have the right to sell their work - but now everyone else does, too. Copyright expiry simply removes the right to monopoly of the work. Now the original owner sells his item at competitive prices with the rest of the people selling it. 20, 30 years of monopoly rights is plenty of time. Heck, I would even argue it should be shorter, but I don't create anything for sale, so...  

News Comments > Ads in Titan?
37. Re: Ads in Titan? Jan 24, 2012, 12:44 chickenboo

"...enhances the gameplay experience."
I love this. How do ads enhance gameplay? Why would I enjoy looking at an advertisement inside a game? This is a moneygrab plain and simple.

In-game advertisements, the proliferation of Play2Win models, data farming at every opportunity, endless hype to deliver a mediocre product... video games have fallen so far from how I knew them as a child and a teen. Maybe it's time to move on to rock climbing or something.

News Comments > Diablo III Systems Changes
2. Re: Diablo III Systems Changes Jan 19, 2012, 13:40 chickenboo

So disinterested in this game. Can we have a new franchise, PLEASE??  

19 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo