Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordhaus

Real Name Mordhaus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 11, 2012, 06:23
Total Comments 61 (Suspect)
User ID 57294

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Where Crytek Stands
6. Re: Where Crytek Stands Jul 30, 2014, 19:40 Mordhaus

How can they claim to maintain a presence in Austin? The bulk of the studio quit coming to work and the management has moved on. Bad news for Cryengine licensees.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns?
32. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 20:45 Mordhaus

I think we are simply not going to agree, so I will simply say that I respect your opinion even though I disagree with it.  

News Comments > Star Citizen at $48 Million
1. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 14, 2014, 20:41 Mordhaus

Because the first thing gamers want to do is learn a fake alien language.  

24. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 14, 2014, 01:54 Mordhaus

Beamer wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 23:53:
Mordhaus wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 22:04:
Beamer wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 16:15:
Mordhaus wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 15:06:
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 12:18:
So what caused this train wreck to happen in the first place? Just being an 'average' developer that overextended their resources in to shit like Warface?

EA destroyed them, like so many other studios.

I mean, considering EA doesn't own them, no.

Considering that they haven't made a decent game since they signed a partnership agreement with EA after they released Crysis, I would say that EA did have a lot to do with it. Once you partner with EA or become one of their sub-studios, you dance to their tune. That means making sure you roll out sequels and console games as fast as you can. Farcry and Crysis were great, everything that EA has pushed them to do since blows.

They weren't a substudio. They signed a deal with EA Partners. It was solely publishing - EA had next to no input. EA Partners is solely publishing and distribution and mostly hands-off. It's where studios keep their IP, which is what Crytek wanted after Ubi kept Far Cry from them.

I know it's hip and cool to bash EA, but put blame where it lies - Crytek.

I never said they were a substudio. I said that anytime you partner with EA you start dancing to their tune, assuming you want to continue getting your games published through them. Now Crytek had already jumped ship from Ubisoft, which means that if they jumped ship from EA they had limited options if they wanted to remain with a AAA publisher. Basically they would have had to choose between Bethesda and 2k, since THQ was already headed down the tubes at that point.

Did Crytek have some part of their failure? Absolutely they did, choosing to alienate the PC realm that they started in did not help. But EA certainly also had a large chunk of responsibility. I refer you to this list:

Realtime Worlds - Defunct

Double Fine Productions - Hasn't had a hit game since Psychonauts, although they were going to make Brutal Legends 2 until EA told them they simply wouldn't publish it. The game was cancelled and the company has been limping along on browser based games until they decided to set up a kickstarter to try and make a major game again.

Epic Games - As long as they keep making the Unreal engine they will be ok, but they haven't had a hit game since 2011 (GoW3).

Crytek - Tanking, might be ok if they do like Epic and revert to just making a game engine.

Hothead Games - Mostly churning out sports games since 2012. I wonder what EA is mostly interested in?

Insomniac Games - Joined EA partners, hasn't had a hit game since.

Flagship Studios - Defunct

38 Studios - Defunct

Big Huge Games - Defunct

Harmonix and MTV Games - Possible success story, even EA can't get them all wrong. Viacom ran them into the ground, to the point EA didn't even want to buy them. Finally they were cut loose and Dance Central series seems to be working for them.

Funcom - They are sort of like a roach, in that they just can't seem to be exterminated. F2P kings, as it were.

Grasshopper Manufacture - Sold

Starbreeze Studios - Doing Ok. But, as another example of how little control EA has over 'partners', EA flat out cancelled the first game in what would have been a series about Jason Bourne. No more series and Starbreeze immediately said they were returning to one of their core IP's, parroting EA's new policy of concentrating only on core IPs and sequels. [url=]http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-cancels-starbreeze-title[/url]

These are just some of the 'partners' in the program. The fact is, EA retains massive control over the studios for one simple reason. If they don't like the game, they won't publish it. So you can be darn sure that the studios are floating their ideas past EA first, because they don't want to invest the resources to get a working model of a game going only to be told to can it.

21. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 22:04 Mordhaus

Beamer wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 16:15:
Mordhaus wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 15:06:
So what caused this train wreck to happen in the first place? Just being an 'average' developer that overextended their resources in to shit like Warface?

I mean, considering EA doesn't own them, no.

Considering that they haven't made a decent game since they signed a partnership agreement with EA after they released Crysis, I would say that EA did have a lot to do with it. Once you partner with EA or become one of their sub-studios, you dance to their tune. That means making sure you roll out sequels and console games as fast as you can. Farcry and Crysis were great, everything that EA has pushed them to do since blows.

5. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 15:06 Mordhaus

News Comments > STYX: Master of Shadows Gameplay Video
3. Re: STYX: Master of Shadows Gameplay Video Jun 27, 2014, 22:48 Mordhaus

And here I was, briefly psyched that this was a STYX the band video game.  

News Comments > DICE on Bad Company 3: "Wait and See"
27. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 16:09 Mordhaus

BF:BC2 was their best multiplayer since BF1942. BF2142 comes in third, but I doubt we will see a sequel to that anytime soon. It would sort of weaken the market for Titanfall.  

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
43. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 16:47 Mordhaus

They will give you a refund minus 10% processing fee. Out of my 180 spent, I got back 162 via Paypal.  

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
20. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 13:11 Mordhaus

TL;DR

We changed the controls to 180 degrees opposite of what we said we were going to have, please don't ask for refunds, please?

Too late, CR, a lot of us already have...

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals
6. Re: Star Citizen Hits $46M; May End Stretch Goals Jun 12, 2014, 22:28 Mordhaus

Hope they do, the stretch goals are slowing the development of this game horribly.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $45M
29. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 8, 2014, 19:52 Mordhaus

I know what you mean, I asked for a refund of 180 bucks because Arena Commander had a completely different flight model than what was promised from day 1. I have a bad feeling this is Duke Nukem Forever v2.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Patched
36. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 07:12 Mordhaus

It's not controlling like they said it would. I am far from being the only one ticked off, feel free to check the RSI forums. As far as having a close relationship with someone that has an intellectual disability, I really don't think that I could call responding to you a close relationship. Perhaps if we went to a movie or had dinner, I would have to get to know you more before getting close to you.  

35. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 8, 2014, 07:09 Mordhaus

Nice video, didn't address what I was talking about, ie the space brake that allows you to spin and turret. All the way up until the release of AC, the word had been that it would be a action packed dogfighting sim with a flight model that was similar to star wars style space battles. What they currently have shown is not even close to what was promised and the Dev comment you linked troubles me even further. Releasing something just to get the ball rolling gives me the feeling that they just tossed AC out so people would quit wondering what was taking so long.

In any case, if they ever get back to what they promised, vis a vis the flight model, then I'll buy back in later. But it will most certainly be once I am 100% positive that they aren't still screwing up.

23. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 7, 2014, 20:01 Mordhaus

After flying my hornet in AC, I asked for a refund of my kickstarter. The flight model is not what they promised, you hit the spacebar and basically can just turret in space. It was supposed to be a ww2/star wars style dogfight flight model, but it's the complete opposite.  

News Comments > Mythic Entertainment Closed
19. Re: Mythic Entertainment Closed May 30, 2014, 01:47 Mordhaus

Another company killed by EA, next up Bioware!  

News Comments > Free Battlefield 3 on Origin
3. Re: Free Battlefield 3 on Origin May 28, 2014, 19:43 Mordhaus

Saboth wrote on May 28, 2014, 19:15:
Hmmm just install Origin to get a free game....nope, not even for free.

Marksmanship 100

You just nailed it on the head.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fist of Awesome
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fist of Awesome May 26, 2014, 00:45 Mordhaus

I don't mind 8-bit, but this is sloppy. Compare to Streets of Rage 8 bit graphics and this is meh.  

News Comments > Kick Ass 2 Next Month
16. Re: Kick Ass 2 Next Month Apr 23, 2014, 16:02 Mordhaus

Wow, at this rate we might as well expect a new ET game "just in time to be a tie in to the hit movie".  

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
69. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 00:01 Mordhaus

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has stated that "We have not once bought a company for the company. We buy companies to get excellent people... In order to have a really entrepreneurial culture one of the key things is to make sure we're recruiting the best people. One of the ways to do this is to focus on acquiring great companies with great founders."

This is the best way to sum up the situation. Facebook doesn't buy companies to improve the product that the company originally made, they buy the company to integrate the people and products into Facebook.

61 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo