Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for hb3d

Real Name hb3d   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 27, 2011, 20:13
Total Comments 162 (Novice)
User ID 57250

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
14. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2012, 12:49 hb3d

Verno wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 09:24:
EA didn't really give away anything. They don't do this stuff internally, it's all outsourced.
EA at least approved and paid for this promotion. So, yes, EA did give something away.

They would need to go through all purchases made for those 4 days where that code was used and manually review each one.
No, EA could pull the games from people's Origin accounts quite easily. The details of all purchases are stored in the Origin account database. The customer-facing details are here. A simple query to the database could pull up every account which made a purchase with the promo code. If you used the promo code, your purchase would be canceled. There's nothing manual to review because there's no way to tell who took the survey and who didn't since you didn't have to provide an email address with the survey and your Origin email address might be different.

It would be very time consuming, not to mention a huge PR gaffe to bother doing so.
It wouldn't be very time consuming, and the PR gaffe already occurred with the widespread report of the exploit. EA could pull all redeemed games, email new links for the survey, and issue a new code at the end of the survey.

So let's not pretend like this is charity from EA
It is charity from EA. EA gave away some games on Origin. It's amazing the level of denial EA trolls like you will go through to avoid the unpleasant fact that EA actually did something worthy of praise.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. You cared enough to post multiple times. Oct 16, 2012, 12:31 hb3d

Prez wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 00:19:
Personally I don't care.
You cared enough to post the same crap on this multiple times.

they let themselves get taken advantage of in the process.
Except that EA didn't have to let themselves get taken advantage of. EA could have done as Valve did in similar exploits (Dirt 3, Dead Island, etc.) and pulled the redeemed games from everyone's accounts. EA didn't, and it deserves credit for that. I also appreciated the offer for the free game from the survey given how short and easy the survey actually was. EA deserves to be bashed over some things, but over giving away free games and how it handled this situation isn't it.

8. EA learned a lesson, but not the one you think. Oct 15, 2012, 22:36 hb3d

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 21:33:
This was just about the only thing they could do to get me to download Origin so maybe they learned something.
That was the intent of the survey from the start (to get people to use Origin). The only thing that EA learned is that if you use a universal redemption code, the PC gamer internet community will share it and exploit the hell out of it.

6. There you go again with the baseless EA bashing. Oct 15, 2012, 22:29 hb3d

Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 21:34:
considering how much the fools are still asking for the same old games, I imagine they still want people to pay top dollar for them, not get them for free.
You imagine wrong. EA charged only $10 ($7.50 with coupon code) two weeks ago for a bundle of five of these "$19.99" games from Amazon game downloads. This past week Gamersgate had many of these games and some newer ones like Alice and Need for Speed Run that are normally $29.99 for $5 each. EA has even run 50% and 60% off sales on Origin for these particular games and given them out as a free gift without a survey to try Origin for new users. Therefore, EA doesn't always "want people to pay top dollar" for these games.

In addition Valve sells its own older games like Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam for $19.99 normal price right now. Is Valve a fool too for wanting people to pay top dollar for them?

The bottom line is that EA was already prepared to give away one of these "$19.99" games for free to each person on its mailing list who answered six extremely short questions in the survey. And since the promotion was originally planned to run until 10/21 or 10/27 (email said 10/21 and web page said 10/27) but was cut short, I doubt that EA really gave away all that many more games than it had intended. The survey "crashers" probably just used up the alloted games much more quickly than anticipated since EA was well aware of the heavy load on its storefront for over two days and made adjustments early during the process to limit the use of the code to one per Origin account. I personally tried to get more than one game in my newly created Origin account and couldn't, and I tried during the first day of the code redemption.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2012, 22:42.

News Comments > Get a Free Origin Game?
78. Re: Get a Free Origin Game? Oct 15, 2012, 16:48 hb3d

Verno wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 10:41:
Man their prices on old games suck, no wonder people flock to Steam.
Origin's regular prices for those same old games are the same as on Steam. And, EA has had heavily discounted sales on those same EA games on Origin that were offered for free with the coupon. People flock to Steam, but it's not because of its prices on EA games.

Origin's never going to be able to compete with Steam on third-party games unless it greatly expands it catalog of those games and/or it entices third-party developers and publishers to exclusively tie their games to its platform as Steam has done. In the abscence of that what EA can do through promotions like this past one is encourage people to purchase future EA games that require Origin and encourage them to use Origin to make those purchases.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2012, 17:04.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Allowing desktop apps in the Windows store could be beneficial. Oct 15, 2012, 16:34 hb3d

Beamer wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 15:38:
I'm surprised you don't prefer that. It guarantees that the Windows Store is a very specific walled garden appealing to a very specific consumer and not designed to strangle the market in the way that people keep fearing.
The advantage of allowing desktop apps in Microsoft's store is that having another digital distributor in the marketplace for desktop applications and games could create competition that would benefit consumers. The downside is that if Microsoft's store became dominant it could kill competition that would hurt consumers by raising prices and/or limiting what types of desktop applications and games are developed for Windows to those that meet Microsoft's restrictions for its store.

Microsoft's Games for Windows Live Store has been so weak in the marketplace as a place to buy desktop games that I doubt Microsoft's new Windows store would gain dominance if it offered desktop applications and games.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2012, 16:40.

News Comments > No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace
62. That reply is bullshit. Oct 15, 2012, 06:52 hb3d

Verno wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 09:03:
This awesome reply should not be drowned out by garage suffocation nonsense.
Yes, it should be drowned out because it's a combination of hypocrisy and fear-mongering bullshit based upon what Microsoft could possibly try to do instead of what Microsoft has actually stated. If you accept Steam's restrictions as Prez has, you can't legitimately bitch about Microsoft's same restrictions for its own storefront.

61. It is the same. Oct 15, 2012, 06:41 hb3d

Prez wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 17:28:
Nope, not the same...Now tell me where I can find another OS that will play all of the modern, older, and classic games aside from Windows.
It is the same because the Microsoft store is not going to be the only place to purchase or obtain games for Windows 8. It is just one walled garden for Windows. Steam is another walled garden for Windows.

Having your own set of rules for your service is not censorship.
Of course it's censorship! Valve is refusing to offer those games even on its Greenlight service which is supposed to allow users to decide if a game should be available on Steam. Just because it's not the government imposing it doesn't mean it's not censorship. Plus when everyone in the market imposes the same restrictions/censorship it has virtually the same effect as government censorship. That's why major developers and publishers don't release adults-only games because basically all of the retailers and digital distributors ban them.

Speeding towards forcing that everything that can possibly be used on your PC with your restrictive certification process and marketplace makes it clear that's where Microsoft is headed.
While your assertion isn't true based upon what Microsoft has actually stated, even if it were, for PC games it would just be trading one dominant walled garden (Steam) for Microsoft's since those two have basically the same standards/restrictions based upon public statements. Steam is basically now a monopoly for PC games because even if a PC game isn't sold through Steam, it most likely requires Steam which means that the game had to be approved by Valve for sale. In addition judging from online comments across many Internet forums there are many PC users who will only buy games which use Steam. That means that Steam is the de facto arbiter of what games get released/made on the PC because if a game isn't allowed on Steam, it won't be successful, and if it isn't successful, similar games won't get made in the future.

Valve restrictirons largely around quality.
No, as my adult game example proved it had nothing to do with the quality of the game. And, quality is highly subjective. Plus the whole idea of Greenlight was supposed to be to let the community not Valve decide what games are good enough for Steam. Instead Valve is being hypocritical by denying some legitimate games upfront based upon its own arbitrary standards of indency, quality, etc.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2012, 07:24.

75. I doubt EA is upset. Oct 15, 2012, 06:10 hb3d

Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 05:35:
They are probably fuming over this.
I doubt it. The whole idea and content of the survey was to encourage users to use Origin. All six of its questions were basically "Since Origin does X, will you use it?". It wasn't really designed for feedback as much as promotion and encouragement to use Origin. The coupon code was intended for one free game per Origin account, and that restriction was enforced shortly after people starting sharing the code. So, since the survey was so short anyway and since it was intended to get people to use Origin, the fact that the code was shared with people who didn't necessarily complete the survey didn't change the intent of the promotion.

I don't know how many people received the survey invite (I did and I had never installed or used Origin), but I assume I got it from being on EA's email marketing list. That list has to have millions of email addresses on it given the popularity of EA's games. If every one of those users got the survey invite, that's already millions of users who would have gotten a free game. So, I doubt EA is upset that its promotion exploded the use of Origin at the expense of some old games which it has already sold countless times very cheaply in sales at Amazon, Gamersgate, etc. and has given away in the past during other promotions.

In any case EA showed real class in honoring the redeemed games. When leaked/exploited promotions like this happened on Steam in the past (Dirt 3, Dead Island, etc.), Valve always removed the games from every user's account that redeemed the codes even though there was no way to tell who was legitimately supposed to have them and who wasn't, and I know that from personal experience.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2012, 07:04.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 14, 2012, 16:03 hb3d

nin wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 15:11:
Wonder if it's a separate codes per game
Yes, and Amazon's Steam bundles have always been separate codes per game/item.

59. Code is now dead. Oct 14, 2012, 04:41 hb3d

It looks like the code is now dead.

I hope everyone got what they wanted. I know I did. Even with the survey (only 6 short questions) it certainly beat grinding for coupons in that one Steam sale.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2012, 05:17.

54. Re: EA is no stranger to discounts. Oct 14, 2012, 02:10 hb3d

RailWizard wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 01:40:
I guess you missed the part "like Steam does"....you know, without all the extra bullshit.
There's no extra bullshit to buy an EA game on sale from Amazon or Gamersgate. With Amazon's one-click setup the purchase experience is actually easier than buying from Origin. And EA is the one which agrees to those sale prices. EA even runs similar sales on Steam for its games which are still on Steam.

51. EA is no stranger to discounts. Oct 14, 2012, 01:19 hb3d

RailWizard wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 01:05:
I guess since EA can't be bothered to throw sales like Steam does
EA's games are on sale at huge discounts (75%+) frequently at third-party digital distributors like Amazon, Gamersgate, and Gamefly. However sales at Origin are typically 50% or 60% off, but are pretty frequent. Some are for the UK only and some are for US only, but I get emails about them regularly. You have to opt-in to EA's marketing to get them.

EA also gives away a free game or 60% off for surveys and for first-time Origin users like this one although I don't recall it ever being exploited like this.

48. Can only be used once per account. Oct 14, 2012, 00:14 hb3d

Jerykk wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 23:29:
You can actually get 3 games for free (or at least you could earlier today).
EA has fixed that exploit. The code only works once per Origin account now.

43. Re: No Adult Games on Steam or Origin either Oct 11, 2012, 16:37 hb3d

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 16:18:
and that makes any difference to the point I was making how?
If you point was simply that "most PC gamers buy their games off Steam or Origin" then your post was irrelevant because it is stating the obvious. If your point was that PC gamers can buy their games from Steam and Origin instead of Microsoft's store to get around the adults-only game ban, that won't work either since neither of those two offer adults-only games although Steam is the only one of the two that has publicly banned an adult game.

41. Steam does the same thing. Oct 11, 2012, 16:09 hb3d

Prez wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 13:48:
I fucking hate censorship of any kind because of what it will eventually lead to.
Since you like Steam so much, I would like to know how you reconcile your position with this. How is what Microsoft is doing here any different than what Valve already does with Steam? You are simply trading one walled-garden for another.

40. No Adult Games on Steam or Origin either Oct 11, 2012, 16:02 hb3d

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 10:30:
Since most PC gamers buy their games off Steam or Origin
Please point out the adults-only games on Steam and Origin.

To my knowledge the only major digital distributors that have offered adults-only games have been Trymedia/Trygames.com and Direct2Drive and in both of those cases the games were just adults-only versions of Singles and one Leisure Suit Larry game.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
16. Nvidia could make some more of the fat optional. Oct 11, 2012, 15:32 hb3d

Verno wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 11:51:
Please point out where exactly they are inefficiently coded.
I'm not bothered by the driver size, but the Nvidia Control Panel should be an optional install like some of the other driver components (3DVision, PhysX, Update) but isn't. The Nvidia Control Panel is fairly large (installer is ~30MB) for how little it does and is redundant for users who use Riva Tuner or one of its sponsored OEM versions from EVGA (Precision), MSI (Afterburner), Gigabyte, etc.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2012, 16:44.

15. Series 6 and 7 support will be removed. Oct 11, 2012, 15:22 hb3d

NKD wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 10:31:
You guys would shit bricks if they trimmed them down and cut support for a bunch of shit.
The next major release of the Geforce driver (310) is going to cut support for Series 6 and 7 GPU's, so we'll get to see how much smaller the driver is then.

7. Driver is 175MB for me. Oct 11, 2012, 02:32 hb3d

PropheT wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 21:38:
217mb download for a driver install is kind of getting out of hand.
This driver is 175MB.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.97-whql-driver.html

The 32-bit version is only 127MB.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-32bit-306.97-whql-driver.html

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2012, 03:32.

162 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo