Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for William Usher

Real Name William Usher   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://gamingblend.com
Signed On Nov 24, 2011, 23:24
Total Comments 48 (Suspect)
User ID 57243

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2014, 10:23 William Usher

That Ars article... I'm curious (I haven't clicked yet) but I wonder if they mention anything about this...

http://a.pomf.se/wvukav.webm

The hilariousness of it all... it's reaching heights beyond the absurd.

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like it was just a straight-through interview.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2014, 11:41.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 14, 2014, 13:48 William Usher

Sadly, the more I find out, the more likely I become to avoid a game that has "won" these indie awards. Sad, really...

Same here. It starts to make you think. It makes you paranoid. I really hope there's a full investigation on this thing because a lot of good indie games could end up being skipped over as the cronies take charge.

This kind of corruption is really taking its toll on the gaming industry.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 10, 2014, 03:57 William Usher

Squirmer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 03:19:
In fairness, I do think the situation would be helped by more acknowledgement and understanding of why a lot of men feel they are being personally accused. (Also applies to gamergate.)

I think this acknowledgement needs to happen as well. However, let's be honest about how a lot of these issues are addressed: it's never about moderately bringing these things out and singling out these circumstances.

Oftentimes there are broad strokes used to paint it as a "rape culture", in which case it means that anyone who isn't actively decrying it is part of it. It's the exact trigger mechanism that all those gaming websites used with the "gamer is dead" assassination attempt.

The thing is, if I read a piece that broadly labels men in certain workplaces as "potential rapists" or "rape apologists" or "rape enablers" because I'm not actively on the side of a specific group, it then makes me feel as if I'm being labeled.

It also gives the impression to everyone else out there that those who aren't "in the group" are "against the group". This is exactly what we're seeing with the #GamerGate thing.

Worse yet is that it begins to influence people outside of that field, medium or subculture.

Someone who doesn't regularly play hardcore games came away from watching a series of Anita's videos on Tropes Vs Women and basically just wanted to argue down that games perpetuate "rape culture" and the industry was a dangerous and misogynistic place for women.

Now a lot of the people who take on the above viewpoint have issues of their own, but consider that these kind of videos and propaganda are creating this kind of result from people who don't know any better. It then means that people like myself either have to try to explain/defend that it isn't "either/or" or just stay silent to avoid being labeled as an enabler for "rape culture", which is mostly what happened to anyone who didn't agree with the notion that "gamers are dead".

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2014, 02:29 William Usher

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 01:59:

I am honestly a little disappointed nobody has been compared to Hitler yet. Godwin's Law! It probably happened and I missed it though.

*EDIT* Grammar.

It happened on Twitter.

You'll also find plenty of it here:
http://gamergateharrassment.tumblr.com/

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 10, 2014, 02:25 William Usher

Squirmer wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 23:11:
He says he wants open dialog without any accusations and namecalling and then says

"So, excuse me if I donít buy irrational feminists white and black ideas that men are inherently rapists and women are victims."

Go onto the #GamerGate hashtag and see his quote in action.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 15:32 William Usher

harlock wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 14:39:

not sure why you assume people who dont give a shit about participating in all the drama are actually listening to these idiots demands and acquiescing to them

You seemed to have miss the part where developers who don't listen to "these idiots" come under heavy fire. It can sometimes alter what gets promoted and what doesn't (which can be life or death for some studios).

This is not to say that every developer/publisher will fold, but it is to say that these people are actively aiming to influence what makes it into the industry and how it portrays content (which is what that indie dev was talking about in the interview I linked).

We've already seen these individuals affect things like Hotline Miami 2 and Saints Row. It doesn't matter if people think the changes are good or not, it's to simply point out that they do have influence and they want to grow this influence.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 13:52 William Usher

Prez wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 13:41:

LOL! Actually I think it's kind of a big deal only because if someone doesn't push back against activism and corruption in a worst case scenario we end up playing only feminist/SJW-approved games, which doesn't sound fun to me.

Thank you for pointing this out.

The indie dev said the same thing: Only thing we end up with are far left-applicable "Games", or whatever is left of the term considering that the folks at Gamasutra seem to want to take "fun" out of gaming, too.

It's turned into a battle for the historical culture of gaming. Some people may not care, some people do. We'll see how it turns out.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 13:21 William Usher

PHJF wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 12:45:
Corrupt news media =/= corrupt video game reviews

News media has an obligation to accurately report content and provide context. The Fourth Estate is critical to functional democracy. Knowing whether The Sims 4 is good or not without playing it oneself? Not so much.

Please read this interview first and tell me this has no cultural significance:
http://bit.ly/1rV2hNI

Also, for those of you saying you don't like the term "GamerGate", I refer you to the Wiki entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate

Additionally, this has a lot more to do with just "game reviews".

Racketeering (Phil Fish could go to jail), nepotism, cronyism and collusion.

There's a reason why some sites are buckling down and changing ethical policies ASAP. Heads are expected to roll as more info comes out.

Additionally, the anti-#GG camp doxxed and outed a transgender minor for attempting to edit the #GamerGate entry on Wikipedia. Home address and everything.

This has turned into an actual sociological nightmare. The "Muh gaem revuws" has been left behind a long while ago.

The major problem is that most of you have only heard one side of the story. Speaking of which, I need to submit that Tech Raptor link to Blues, BRB.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 21:03 William Usher

Icewind wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 20:45:
Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 20:16:

What they don't acknowledge is the obvious - that the lack of disclosure of these points was calculated and deliberate because they had an agenda. A simple oversight is forgivable; intentionally neglecting to point out very important facts that could serve to weaken your agenda is just slimy.

This.

I really just want all of them to admit they're just liberal politically correct agenda pushers trying to control the community narrative by any means possible.

Places like them, Kotaku and Polygon are why I don't even bother reading game sites anymore. Basically it's Blues, Evil Avatar and maybe Shacknews. The rest are just sh*t rags.

I at least have to give props to Alexander Macris for following through. Really though, Macris pulled through in a HUGE way. He was the one who made Tito make the changes and he's been personally interacting with all the disgruntled gamers in the GamerGate thread.

Escapist isn't perfect but Macris did the one thing none of the other major sites did, and that's listen to the audience. So he has my respect for that.

Will they maintain it? I don't know. We'll see. Some step is better than no step. Like, what is RPS doing? And has Gamasutra made any plans to retract some of the slanderous things they've been printing lately or is that all in the name of the editorial?

News Comments > Op Ed
62. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 17:10 William Usher

Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 17:00:
All from one single post:

William Usher wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 13:38:
... they drew first blood ... a death knell for them ... Gamers don't die ... drawn into battle ... go away and die ... They already put their stake on the wrong side of the war ...

Ah, you're right. I did state that. Got me red-handed.

When Beamer was talking about our discussion when he responded to me following that post I refrained from bringing up "war" in the context of our discussion (between us), but yes, I did use the word "war" previous to that. Thank you for correcting me.

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 16:26 William Usher

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:46:

And sorry, your words define you. You keep referring to this as a war. That makes you an extremist.

My words define me, of course. I've always said that clarity, transparency and even-handedness of the facts would have solved this problem a long while ago (if not here in most of the articles I've written about this subject).

And where have I stated that this is a "war" here on this board? Those are your words not mine.

In fact, I've never mentioned the word "war" in the context of this discussion at all... only you have.

So uh... you need to talk about something Beamer? PTSD or something?

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 15:38 William Usher

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:07:
How do you not realize that, with all of your war analogies, you're an extremist? One of the most extreme.

I can't help it if I love game culture; I've always loved it.

If you see me as an extremist then... okay. No one's opinion defines me.

I've never backed away from discussing the matter in a civil way, and if games media had just been honest in their reporting, #GG wouldn't even exist.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 14:59 William Usher

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 14:38:

Fairly certain that's fewer words than you've written here and lacking the call to arms.

Are you afraid of your own abilities to continue doing your job if you posted the same kinds of thing there that you do here?

Aha, of course. I may represent CB but I'm not CB (if that makes sense).

So my representation there has to be... diplomatic.

If it were up to me? Oh I would have an article up every single day actually reporting every single thing that transpires in the event (from both sides of the fence).

But that would put CB in the absolute center of the controversy and I don't think the higher-ups really want that.

The more controversial stuff goes over at OAG because if anyone has a problem with anything I write there then they have to deal directly with me. No worries about anyone going over my head.

I just hope the momentum of GG stays until a news outlet can get a hold of it and report it to a broad audience (so long as it's not twisted to just represent the agenda of the extremists).

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 14:30 William Usher

Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 14:01:
William Usher wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 13:38:
a calculated attack on games culture

What specific attack on games culture?

http://markdownshare.com/view/a524affd-e679-40be-8aa1-72058065dc2a

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 14:00:

How come you haven't taken your proactiveness to your own site? How come you do it on Blues? Where is your article on all of this?

Look on the front page of Blues about the IGF.

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 14:00:

You have a site. You have traffic. You have a voice. Why are you hiding it? Why aren't you posting long rants like the one in this thread under your own name on your own site where more people will see it?

Google up #NotYourShield, let me know what the first article is you see in GNews.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 13:56 William Usher

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 13:42:

Aren't you the games media for CinemaBlend?
Are you really advocating a DoS against your peers?

Are you really advocating a DoS?

And you really think anyone was trying to censor?

Advocating DoS? No. Encouraging people to get proactive? Yes.

And if you don't know about the censoring that has gone on at NeoGAF, Reddit, N4G and tons of other forum boards across the net when this first got underway, I really don't know what to tell you.

EDIT: Also, almost forgot to mention that Polygon's Chris Grant has a blacklist of individuals within the industry that they've been sharing around amongst "the clique". How is that even right?

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 13:38 William Usher

I find it fascinating that some of these sites are now turning tail; trying to fix the narrative that they broke.

The one thing they don't understand is that they drew first blood.

Gamers would have been willing to let the mass internet-censorship go had there just been an apology (if that) and the ability to openly discuss the events surrounding #GamerGate.

Like all things, the discussion would have passed and -- at worst -- Kotaku's reputation would have been sullied just a bit more than it already was. I doubt people would have started investigating the matter further (sort of like what happened with Doritogate).

Instead, the game journo (I like to say "game journo scum" but I'll be civil here) decided to fan the flames and extrapolate their agendas to a wide audience with a calculated attack on games culture. WHY? It was a death knell for them.

Gamers don't die, we respawn. Gamers don't quit, we restart. Gamers don't stop, we press continue.

They attacked a culture who has been conditioned not to quit once they've been drawn into battle, and media -- strangely -- thought that individuals who spend all day trying to beat bosses and conquer levels would just go away and die. WHY?

At this point, gamers have already collected in a few places that still allow for open discussion and have already made it known that they are willing to play the long game; the game of attrition.

There is a site blacklist being passed around (Don't worry Blues, you aren't on it ;)) and active browser add-ons that will absolutely cripple the larger sites in the long run (it auto-retrieves pages from the nearest archive instead of allowing click-throughs to the site).

Needless pandering from RPS at this point won't save them. They already put their stake on the wrong side of the war and gamers are adopting the "Never Forgive. Never Forget" mantra.

I'm just curious what will happen if/when #GamerGate actually gets out into the wild so the larger community out there will know what's going on? Once this breaks through to mainstream it's going to be game over for the larger websites.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 7, 2014, 16:48 William Usher

That was smart of Alex to follow through with a 4chan interview.

Just so you guys know, bombs are about to drop and there's a lot of people who are about to get burned [serious corruption allegations have surfaced from the indie front].

Major victory coming soon for the GG crowd.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
6. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 31, 2014, 22:36 William Usher

Just to quote from their official website...

The Award For Stupidest News Website Goes To: INCGAMERS.COM For their clear stupidity actually thinking this site was siezed and believed that we have been arrested.
I hope you all see how stupid sites dedicated to a online game can be.

News Comments > Op Ed
145. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 22:12 William Usher

jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 21:23:

I really have no clue what this is referring to.

4chan is working with gaming communities across the web to contact advertisers to pull support from sites that are "attacking" their audience.

However, all I'm going to say is that the places where I keep tabs on discussions from the inside have made no mention of this, so it's probably just someone trolling to boost hope for /v/.

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2014, 19:49 William Usher

Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:29:
Lastly, I fail to see how doing what Anita asks, which means occasionally having a female character to something more than get kidnapped or die, would render gaming "well and truly destroyed." Including female characters that do something other than sleep with the hero or die didn't seem to hurt Captain America 2 or Guardians of the Galaxy, the two biggest movies of the year.

It's already been done.

Prez mentioned Borderlands 2 and I rattled off just a few games off the top of my head that are already doing the opposite of what she's complaining about.

Essentially NO ONE from the other side have said why they don't support the games that fit the narrative they say does not exist in gaming. How is Lilly Looking Through or the Giana Sisters sexist or exclusionary? How don't they fit the feminist agenda? And why aren't they being talked about?

As I mentioned, it's not about game culture at all. We don't see the games that should appeal to the SJWs being promoted by the SJWs.

The real issue is that these games that the SJWs feel will "evolve" or "mature" gaming don't sell that well. So who's fault is it that the games they say don't exist actually do exist and the people with the power to promote them won't?

48 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo