Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SXO

Real Name SXO   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SXO
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 10, 2011, 13:51
Total Comments 110 (Novice)
User ID 57222

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
9. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:01 SXO

It's amazing how people can still be in denial. I thought the wording in this was quite clear that nothing is being changed, they are merely extending the cutscenes to further elaborate what happened to everyone. All the problems with the ending still stand, and this is exactly what I predicted.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter
4. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Apr 4, 2012, 11:08 SXO

*thinks back to Shadowrun on SNES*
In for $30!!!!

News Comments > PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details
10. Re: PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details Apr 3, 2012, 14:30 SXO

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 14:24:
It's pretty god damn funny when fully customizable controls for the localized keyboards is considered as a top feature and selling point.
At least this one has keyboard support unlike the next Assassin's Creed.

News Comments > Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller
99. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 30, 2012, 09:46 SXO

Creston wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 11:01:
Ventura wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 18:21:
Sounds like it will be a strict copy and paste job to me, but Jerykk seems to think superior visuals and performance awaits him. Good luck with that one, mate - you're going to need it.

Eh, AC:Revelations looked far better on the PC than it did on either the ancient 360 or the decrepit PS3. They provided proper high resolution support, I could turn AF and AA on to the highest levels known to man, and it just kept running along at 60 FPS.

The same thing was true for brotherhood and AC2.

So there's little doubt that it WILL look better on the PC.

Creston
Also, surprisingly enough they feature exceptional support for triple-screen setups. Here's two very short clips I made using my own setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pulRWPbBDNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Bn0kgAjf_-o

This is what makes the lack of kb&m support in AC3 even more surprising.

News Comments > Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller
47. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 14:40 SXO

This boggles my mind. I could understand if this was their first time porting the series to PC, but all the previous AC games had kb&m support, so why is it such a problem to implement now? Is it really that expensive to reproduce code you've already made for the last few games that are using the same engine? This is even more stunning because AC is one of the few ports that even supports such niche setups as multiple monitors via AMD Eyefinity or nVidia Surround.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 PC Patch Tomorrow
5. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patch Tomorrow Mar 28, 2012, 11:11 SXO

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:05:
I'm looking forward to the balance changes and netcode fixes to stop some of the cheating. That said, I was hoping they would get away from this style of multi-gigabyte monolithic patches because they often introduce as many problems as they fix. From a reasonable perspective it is incredibly difficult to Q/A something like this so they would be better served in the future by doing smaller, more frequent updates. I suspect both the packing format limitations and Microsoft/Sony charging for updates are the real roadblocks there.
Unfortunately, they've already stated that the reason they do big patches further apart than smaller patches more often is because of the distribution on console. Both Sony, and especially Microsoft, have stringent rules about how often they can release patches and such.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch Plans
33. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch Plans Mar 25, 2012, 09:52 SXO

WarpCrow wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 16:48:
I was disappointed that BF3 didn't have mod tools, but it's still a decent game. I'm a proud, card-carrying member of the PC Master Race, but the problem with so many PC gamers is that in order to satisfy them you need to fulfill every single element of a three page checklist and then price your game at half the price of its competitors or you apparently have a 'shitty game', and anyone who plays it is a moron. If I was a dev, I'd be tempted to disregard that snobbish, self-centered segment of the market too.
I can totally understand how that could gnaw at their morale, but the fact remains that most, if not everything, on that checklist is stuff that was in BF2/2142. The reason they don't want to implement it? Because much of it just wouldn't work, or wouldn't get used by the console players. EA wants DICE to provide the lowest common denominator, nothing more. I mean, don't you think it's absolutely pitiful that a game like BF2142 that came out in 2006 has a better squad system and commo rose? Those are probably among the easiest things they could implement from the requests/demands of PC players, but they chose not to.

As for the "half the price" comment, I'm gonna assume that's an exaggeration. I personally expect to pay $50 for a brand new AAA title on PC, unless it's some sort of special edition (Deluxe, Collector's, etc.). In the case of BF3, I purchased the "Limited Edition" so I feel the price was justified.

As for lack of mod tools, I saw this coming a mile away waaaaaay before they confirmed it long before release. Going back to the lowest common denominator, EA would never allow DICE to put in man hours to develop mod tools that will only be used on the PC platform. Add to that the fact that mods can and will compete directly with DLC, and it's a no-brainer for EA.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch Plans
32. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch Plans Mar 25, 2012, 09:36 SXO

Drezden wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 15:00:
Who the fuck cares if the game has working VOIP. I don't know one damn person who would use the in game VOIP even if it worked. Why would I want to listen to some random dipshit. The same people who use in game VOIP are the same friendless "UMADBRO"ers you run into in every game. There is a reason I always play with the same people on my own voice server. Beside that theres usually more than 4 of us in any given game.

Ummmm, most people that care about teamwork perhaps? My friends and I have been using our own VOIP service (alternating between Ventrilo and Teamspeak) since BF2, and even we feel that the game absolutely needs in-game VOIP so people can better communicate. The lack of a commander makes this even more necessary since nobody is giving orders to the squads. In game VOIP would allow the people that actually care about teamwork to communicate their intentions and inform each other of what's going on. Ofcourse a lot of people won't use it, even back in BF2 not everyone used it, but those that would will be better off for it. The fact of the matter is that the only reason BF3 doesn't have in game VOIP on the PC version is because EA wants to promote Battlelog as much as possible. Both of the console versions have VOIP in game, as every BF should have.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 23, 2012, 08:42 SXO

The only people with "fear" over hardware improvements are the devs that work for the major publishers who comb through every dollar spent on big budget titles. I think the reality of the situation will allay any fears some may have. The newest engines make some processes that ate up loads of development time much easier. And with the improved hardware, less work has to go into optimizing games to make sure they can actually maintain a target fps.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Patched
4. Re: Batman: Arkham City Patched Mar 21, 2012, 08:58 SXO

Prez wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 16:59:
Just in time - I planned to start my first play-through of Arkham City this weekend!
LOL, same here, well actually I planned to start last weekend. Started the game up, even ran the benchmark with no issues (and I'm on a 3-screen SLI rig), then finally decided to finish the STALKER series instead (never got around to playing Call of Pripyat). I guess leaving games on the backburner for long periods of time has its benefits. Aside from Portal 2, I can't even remember the last game I played at release.

News Comments > Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic
46. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 21, 2012, 08:54 SXO

DedEye wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 20:06:
The game lost its magic for me.

Looking at what has been released for MoP to date hasn't changed that. I played ToR for a bit; more of the same.

I have tried EVE and GW; didn't turn my crank.

It was a good move canceling WoW 4 months ago as far as my gaming time goes. I've been playing a lot of other games: some new stuff, ones that I missed, of which many are on sale, and some oldies but goodies I haven't fired up in a while. Having a blast.

I can't imagine ever going back to raiding end game content of anything now that I think about it.....

Welcome back to the normal world of gaming, sir. I myself had been addicted to MMO's in the past (e.g. LOTRO, EQ2), and I ended up starving myself of numerous great experiences in other games, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

News Comments > Dragon Age II "Exalted March" Expansion Cancelled
68. Re: Dragon Age II Mar 21, 2012, 08:48 SXO

StrickNine wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 19:23:
according to wikipedia, Mr. Knowles left during the design process of DA2
Yea, according to what he said in his blog they had already started making plans for DA2 before Origins even launched. He stayed for a time after, and finally realized he had no interest in the direction the game was headed.

However, he never cited who's idea it was to change the gameplay style of DA2. Whether that decision came from within Bioware, or from higher up at EA is unknown, but it definitely didn't come from Knowles himself.

News Comments > Dragon Age II "Exalted March" Expansion Cancelled
52. Re: Dragon Age II Mar 20, 2012, 15:33 SXO

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 14:06:
Yakubs wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 11:44:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 11:32:
Probably too much to hope for but let's hope this means they are pulling their head out of their nether region.

I doubt there's anyone left at BioWare with any talent. Talent is not compatible with a marketing- and focus-group- driven approach.

Much of the DA2 team is from the DA team, right down to the lead designer.

I'll never get the blame on marketing here. These companies don't have enough marketing intelligence and skill to make calls like this. It's the developers and designers that are making these choices.
Same lead designer, eh? Sorry Charlie, but that's just plain false. The lead designer for DA:O was Brent Knowles who was also lead designer for NWN, who decided to leave Bioware soon after DA launched because he didn't like the direction the company wanted to go in with DA2. This is from his owns words mind you, he has a blog online you can read. Mike Laidlaw was the lead designer for DA2, and he's the one known for famously saying he didn't want to target RPG players exclusively, hence the changes in DA2.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 PC Features
16. Re: Borderlands 2 PC Features Mar 16, 2012, 18:54 SXO

Damn, I'd totally do Claptrap right now.  

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced
37. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 16, 2012, 08:57 SXO

panbient wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 08:41:
ibm wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 07:08:
Also everyone excited about this already has the games right? You know you can mod them together to make the equivalent of one huge game with graphics enhancements already, just by following a straightforward url=http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18195246&highlight=baldurs]guide[/url].

Yes, but as I mention in my other comments, the current 'widescreen' support leaves a bit to be desired unless you enjoy playing the miniaturized version of BG on your modern flatscreen HD monitor.

A 75 pixel tall character in an 800x600 display is 12.5% the height of the screen. The same 75 pixel tall character in a 1920x1080 window is 7% of the height. So while you can see LOTS of background, it's not quite the same presentation when all the characters are half sized (including ALL the now headache inducing teeny tiny text).

That NEEDS to be fixed and I don't think it's something that should be left to the community to pick up since it's likely an issue with inner workings of the Infinity Engine rather than something that can be tweaked from the finished product - otherwise I'm confident the community would have implemented more robust HD / Widescreen support.

Yes, I was more than happy with a functional 'fix' for a 15 year old game that mostly gets it right. But I will not be happy if a 15 year old game get re-released (and not just a repack) without support for modern presentation.

I don't need full 3d or to be able to circle the camera around my party. No cutscenes or animations for criticals or fancy spells. No trophies. No Facebook integration. No update to 4th edition rules (how they'll get around to using a very old version of the DnD rules worries me).

Just take the old game, dust it off, reintegrate the stuff that was originally cut and the pro level community content, and make it look right and play smooth on modern computers. Then do it again for Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale in that order.
Another point to think about is that if this sells well enough, it will be another demonstration that there is indeed a market for this type of classic RPG out there. For that alone, I'm willing to buy these games again for the third time.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs
62. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 16, 2012, 08:43 SXO

Teddy wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 07:41:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 02:54:
Teddy wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 23:40:
And considering a vast amount of resources from FO3 were reused in FO:NV, including the engine with very few modifications, it SHOULD have taken them half the resources and time to make NV.
Fine Teddy, give me a comparison, what's your point of reference, what game and budget achieved your results? Quantify.

CJ Parker that post was really to ridiculous to even bother.

What game and budget achieved my results? As in, what games were produced for significantly less cost than the original in significantly less time while using the same base engine? You really need the answer to that one? Pretty much any Call of Duty following Modern Warfare, all based on the same base engine with minor alterations where the bulk of the work was on 'new' content.

The point was very simple. When the base engine is already made for you, and all you're doing is throwing in new content with a tweak or two here and there in terms of technical differences then the game is going to take significantly less time and cost significantly less to make than one where the base engine needs to be created or needs drastic alteration to use. Less time coding, less time debugging = less cost. It's pretty basic logic.
This is utter nonsense. The entire game world had to be created from scratch. The only thing that was reused were a handful of character/creature models, and an even smaller number of weapon/armor models. Everything else was brand spanking new, and when you build a game as large as New Vegas, it's going to take a lot of time.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced
28. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 15, 2012, 21:17 SXO

This is totally anti-climactic without any kind of screenshot or videos to accompany the announcement.  

News Comments > Warface Interview
1. Re: Warface Interview Mar 15, 2012, 09:45 SXO

I'm surprised to say this, but I'm actually now interested in the game just because of the mention of PvE. There can never be enough coop games IMHO.

On the otherhand, the PvP side of it sounds like utter crap, particularly after the mention of how it's completely OK for a medic to just run around on his own. They should be reinforcing teamwork, not belittling it. BF2142 worked because of the teamwork structure, things like the squad system and commander, awarding more points for following orders, etc.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow
19. Re: Baldur's Gate Countdown to Tomorrow Mar 15, 2012, 09:31 SXO

I think it's pretty obvious it'll be an "HD" remake of the games, since that's what the company that owns the URL has done in the past with another old franchise, MDK.

Also, is it just me, or is the site now down?

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch in Certification
13. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch in Certification Mar 14, 2012, 08:56 SXO

Is this the patch that finally puts in the real commo rose? Or do we have to wait until the first DLC launches before they finish the base game?  

110 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo