Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SXO

Real Name SXO   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SXO
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 10, 2011, 13:51
Total Comments 108 (Novice)
User ID 57222

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis 3 Announced
77. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 20:58 SXO

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 16:54:
Flatline wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 15:01:
Wait we're so brain damaged we're remembering Far Cry 2 fondly now?
There's no disputing that Far Cry 2 had some very obvious design flaws - AI spawning, vehicle chases, malaria, repetitive missions, lack of non-hostile characters, etc - but the core gameplay was incredibly strong and the setting was unique. Even the plot, while unlikely to win any awards, was more compelling than most (certainly better than Crysis/Crysis 2). And the graphics and performance were excellent, especially considering there were virtually no load screens once in the game. Personally I preferred the visuals in Far Cry 2 to Crysis, though Crysis 2 has better visuals.

I consider Far Cry 2 a better game than the original and better than Crysis and Crysis 2. I don't think it's up there with the likes of Half-Life / HL2 but few games are. The health system was the best I've seen, the diamonds were a nice distraction, the weapons were varied and felt right (though the degradation system was terrible), etc. And the AI was some of the best I've seen. Let me qualify that by stating that some of the AI behaviour was pathetic and some of the worst I've seen (vehicles ramming you, AI respawns, everyone shooting you, etc) but overall because the levels were so open and the addition of vehicles you really had to think how to approach everything - on harder difficulty they really came into their own, yet even when you've got snipers from miles away the game still felt fair.

I'm not worried if other people agree with me or not but I consider Far Cry 2 to be one of the best FPS games I've played and I've played a lot. I'm greatly looking forward to Far Cry 3, as it looks like they've addressed many of the issues people had with it.
Well sir, it seems we have quite different tastes in gaming. I do praise Far Cry 2 for its healing system. I think the industry should've iterated on that system for healing in FPS's instead of the Halo-derived auto-heal system that's become prevalent. FEAR had the right idea with carrying around the health packs, freeing up level designers from having to place them at regular intervals. Some would argue health packs were just as unrealistic as auto-healing, but then Far Cry 2 came out and innovated on it and turned it into an awesome system.

Looking at your sig I have to say our taste for high-end hardware is quite similar. I also looked you up on Steam, and kudos on that impressive collection of games!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 15:27 SXO

Flatline wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 15:19:
SXO wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 15:12:
Now I'll admit I never sat down and played Crysis 2 myself, but in watching others play it I found it was not as "on-rails" as many claim it to be. Even so, it's definitely not a true sandbox game, more like small sandbox bubbles linked together in linear fashion. But admittedly this is the same exact thing Crysis does, just in grander scale so it doesn't quite feel as linear. But I would argue Warhead was closer in style to Crysis 2 than people seem to realize. My biggest beefs with Crysis 2 are its change of environment and plot (this was not the originally planned sequel), environments that felt less dynamic than Crysis, scripted events that felt far more artificial than the scripted events of Crysis, excessive hand-holding, and most importantly a storyline that I felt was cheesy and weak. I would've added inferior graphics to that list, but the DX11 patch put it at least on par with a stock Crysis. Although with mods, Crysis still beats anything out there.

Crysis 2 had more compelling visuals than Crysis did. The art design was pretty fantastic for the whole of the game. The beginning levels with the evac centers and crap were pretty powerful.

But the real question I find with all this discussion of sandbox games is... Am I going to be finished with Skyrim by then? I'm like 100 hours into my *second* character and am still finding new shit to do, and I'm just starting to tap user mods.

And even if I am done with it by then, in theory Shadowrun should be out by then.

I'm sorry, Crysis 3 isn't even on my radar.
To answer your question regarding Skyrim, now that you're just starting to play around with mods, you'll never finish. LOL. The mod community for Elder Scrolls IV & V are one of the best out there.
Beamer
Haven't played Crysis 2, but maybe I'll grab it for $5 on Amazon. Want it on Steam, though. Is it even on Steam?
No, it was on Steam at launch, and was one of the first titles pulled when Valve started enforcing their DLC rules on Steam. At this point expect most, if not all, EA titles to not appear on Steam.

News Comments > EA Denies Layoff Rumor
23. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 16, 2012, 15:22 SXO

ASeven wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 14:56:
It just shows how fucked up the current publisher's business models are if almost 13 millions sales is considered a disappointment and it either didn't cover the costs of the game or didn't cover the expectations of the stockholders and investors.
^This pretty much

52. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 15:12 SXO

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 14:07:
Shineyguy wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:42:
Also, I agree with the sentiments here that 2 was abysmal and 1 was great.
Hang on a second, when did the original game become "great"? It had some interesting ideas but it really didn't compare to games like Half-Life 2 or Far Cry. People keep talking about how open Crysis was but most of the time you followed very similar routes and the narrative was still very linear. Far Cry 2 - which came out a year later - achieved a much more convincing open world, with gameplay that was also less linear.

Crysis 2 had a much better narrative and although the levels were smaller I felt they were better designed to allow different approaches. Just look at Deus Ex: Human Revolution - the levels were obviously much smaller than Crysis but there was much more scope for how you could approach them. Crysis 2 wasn't a great game but in my opinion it was better than the original.
I very respectfully disagree. I personally consider Crysis a "great" game, easily in my top 10 best FPS experiences. While it may not be quite the caliber of either HL or HL2, it definitely had me hooked and provided a few awe-inspiring moments. In the interest of full disclosure I'll admit I'm one of the small minority that even enjoyed the last bit of the game with the aliens.

As far as how it compares to Far Cry, I wouldn't say Far Cry was better. It's hard for me to say one was better than the other because I felt Far Cry's superior sandbox gameplay outshines Crysis, whereas I found Crysis' story and narrative far more interesting. Far Cry 2 definitely had a great sandbox design (and the most interesting healing system in an FPS), but it fell flat in every other way IMHO.

Now I'll admit I never sat down and played Crysis 2 myself, but in watching others play it I found it was not as "on-rails" as many claim it to be. Even so, it's definitely not a true sandbox game, more like small sandbox bubbles linked together in linear fashion. But admittedly this is the same exact thing Crysis does, just in grander scale so it doesn't quite feel as linear. But I would argue Warhead was closer in style to Crysis 2 than people seem to realize. My biggest beefs with Crysis 2 are its change of environment and plot (this was not the originally planned sequel), environments that felt less dynamic than Crysis, scripted events that felt far more artificial than the scripted events of Crysis, excessive hand-holding, and most importantly a storyline that I felt was cheesy and weak. I would've added inferior graphics to that list, but the DX11 patch put it at least on par with a stock Crysis. Although with mods, Crysis still beats anything out there.

News Comments > EA Denies Layoff Rumor
4. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 16, 2012, 11:33 SXO

Wildone wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 11:11:
Dissapointing BF3 sales?!? Are u effin kiddin me????!
These days sales are graded on a curve. If a game doesn't sell as well as CoD/Modern Warfare, then it's considered dissapointing. I still remember when a game selling even 500k units was considered amazing and highly profitable. But then again, consider that a company like EA spends $100 million just to market a game, when they don't even understand gamers. So they would've had to sell at least 1.7 million units at $60 each just to pay off the cost of marketing, let alone the development costs. Combine that with the fact that EA is a massive gluttonous monster with an insatiable appettite, so the profits they expect from a game has to not only cover development and marketing costs, but it has to go far beyond to keep the beast well fed.

A smarter company that understood that not every gamer is built the same would've had a much smaller budget for BF3 (no SP campaign, iterative of BF2/2142 but on the more advanced Frostbite 2.0 engine), would've made it PC exlusive, and would've targeted only those particular fans in the marketing campaign. They then would've had a sequel to Bad Company 3 that's designed specifically for the "Modern Warfare" crowd, with a modest budget that allows for a SP campaign, and smaller MP maps, and less intensive graphics (comparable to Bad Company 2).

11. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 10:34 SXO

OK..... *scratches head*..... Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Prophet die in Crysis 2? I never played the game, but from what I've heard, he dies and then Alcatraz uses his suit in Crysis 2.  

News Comments > Tribes Ascend: Launches
49. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 20:08 SXO

Flatline wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 17:09:
SXO wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:31:
I was a beta tester and I just couldn't get into this game. It didn't really feel like a Tribes game to me. When I played the original two games, skiing was just an exploit that was very uncommon (probably became far more common after I stopped playing). Now skiing is a normal part of the game, so combat just feels like ranged jousting matches where players zip by each other taking shots until it devolves into a high speed chase where one is simply outnumbered. Now before those of you that like this playstyle flame me, let me just say this is my own personal opinion. Go on an enjoy the game as is, but I'll pass on this one.

You must have quit playing tribes within the first month or two. Skiing was known about and left in intentionally since the first patch.

Now, back in the day it required a modicum of skill or a script to perform, which was a very slight barrier to entry, but otherwise, it's been part of Tribes since maybe the first T1 patch.
As a matter of fact, I did indeed quit playing Tribes 2 in the first month simply because it crashed so often. I'm sure the patches eventually fixed it, but I had moved on by then, just don't remember to what. But as far as Starsiege: Tribes, I simply do not remember an abundance of people skiing everywhere. Maybe I just happened to play on servers with "noobs" all the time or something. Either way, the combat in Ascend just didn't do it for me. It just felt too chaotic and random. I felt like I was playing the battle mode of the very first Mario Kart for SNES, just randomly zipping by each other hoping to do damage. Then I decided "OK, let me just focus on objectives then," but without teamwork that failed as well.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend: Launches
6. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 15:31 SXO

I was a beta tester and I just couldn't get into this game. It didn't really feel like a Tribes game to me. When I played the original two games, skiing was just an exploit that was very uncommon (probably became far more common after I stopped playing). Now skiing is a normal part of the game, so combat just feels like ranged jousting matches where players zip by each other taking shots until it devolves into a high speed chase where one is simply outnumbered. Now before those of you that like this playstyle flame me, let me just say this is my own personal opinion. Go on an enjoy the game as is, but I'll pass on this one.  

News Comments > EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration?
30. Re: EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration? Apr 12, 2012, 13:56 SXO

I enjoy harping on EA as much as anybody, but even I can't put the blame for this on them. More than likely this was some relatively new art dev working for the studio that's making the game who's just not imaginative enough to come up with some original designs.  

News Comments > Dark Souls GFWL Petition
43. Re: Dark Souls GFWL Petition Apr 12, 2012, 08:58 SXO

I would even prefer EA's Origin or Ubisoft's Uplay over Microsoft's GFWL. I've had serious issues with GFWL numerous times, aside from just how annoying the basic functionality is.  

News Comments > Ravaged Kickstart
19. Re: Ravaged Kickstart Apr 8, 2012, 12:37 SXO

Lord Tea wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 20:56:
nice, but not my cup of tea. And I agree with Cutter, $25 minimum if you want the game is a bit too much considering all the cash goes to the developers.
As opposed to buying a retail product where all the cash goes to the publishers? What exactly is your argument?

News Comments > Arma III Animations Trailer
21. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 09:58 SXO

Just take my money already! I've been playing their games since the original Operation Flashpoint, and even when I was getting my ass handed to me by the AI I was still enjoying myself thoroughly. No other game series has made me feel as tense during combat as their games have.  

News Comments > Starlight Inception Kickstart
26. Re: Starlight Inception Kickstart Apr 8, 2012, 09:44 SXO

Yea, I was interested until I saw the mention of the PS Vita and realized this wasn't a PC exclusive project. I just don't see how a proper sim can be done as a cross-platform title.

Maybe Interplay will wise up and try to revive the Freespace series with a Kickstarter.

News Comments > ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
173. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 7, 2012, 09:26 SXO

Nucas wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 21:37:
i'm suprised they gave in, but gratified.

the endgame was the most important ten minutes of anything they've done in the past 5 years, and they choked.

they failed so utterly that the only way a large subset of fans can reconcile what they saw is with an idiotic and convoluted "theory" that turns the endgame into an unreliable-narrator-driven metaphore.

i hope casey hudson isn't feeling smugly superior about how no one "gets" his vacuous nerdgasm ending. god, what a fucker.
They didn't give in. Fact is, they already admitted they aren't actually changing anything. They are merely expanding upon the existing ending to show you exactly what happened to your squadmates so that you'll have "closure." And the only reason they're even doing this much is so that Bioware can pretend they're listening, and so that this whole debacle doesn't hurt the sales of the DLC that was already planned.

As far as Casey Hudson's "vacuous nerdgasm ending," any of us real nerds can see that none of it even makes sense. So he has no reason at all to feel superior to anyone, because if his intention was to appear smart, we now know how stupid he really is.

172. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 7, 2012, 09:18 SXO

Creston wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 01:30:
The Indoctrination theory works great, up to one particularly fatal point. The IC keeps saying that the Reapers are trying to indoctrinate you to choose Blue or Green, rather than Red.

However, if you bring very few War Assets, the only thing you CAN choose is Red. And why would the Reapers indoctrinate you, only to then give you the one choice that they're desperately trying to make you not do.

For that matter, why would they give you the Red choice ever at all?

Sadly, for all how much it seems to work (and is better than the ending), it doesn't completely fit. (which makes sense, because it's simply not true.)

Creston
Thank you Creston. Good to see there's at least one other person out there that isn't lying to themselves to try and make sense of Bioware's bungled story.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch Next Week
11. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch Next Week Apr 7, 2012, 09:14 SXO

Doesn't anyone see the irony that they defended the new longer patch cycles by saying they wouldn't have to patch patches, but then they turn around and have to patch the patch anyway? Weirdest part is that this is a fix for something that's pretty obvious, how could it not have been noticed during playtesting of the big patch, especially when they had so much time to test it?  

57. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 14:13 SXO

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 13:59:
Verno wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 12:41:
I only speak for myself but there were not three endings, it felt like one arbitrary ending with some variations. I wasn't a fan of never seen before characters and plot elements being introduced in the last 10 minutes of the game either. Also, in a series with a strong theme about teamwork and friendship I expected some explanation or continuity for the companions as well, though to be fair that was never promised. Maybe it worked for your Shepard but it didn't feel like a well written conclusion for mine. Finally there are some loopholes and disconnects between the writing and the cutscenes that are pretty jarring.

If you watch the endings side by side, sure, it cheapens the ending because of the extreme similarities. However, what makes each ending unique is if you watch each ending within the context of your choices leading up to it. The interpretation for each ending is drastically different if you decide to destroy the reapers vs say synthesis. Also, the nature of the catalyst was hinted at throughout ME3, and makes perfect sense if you consider why the Reapers never wiped out lower organic life forms in general. Also, each of your companions storylines were resolve quite nicely during the game itself, and the lead up to the final battle provides glimpses into the future lives of your surviving teammates. Finally, the ending sequence with Joker, EDI, and your romantic option stepping out of the crashed Normandy into a new world full of hope was well done and quite powerful.
It would be quite powerful if it made sense. Explain to me how Joker and the crew got to the relay before it exploded, used it to jump to another system, and survived the explosion of the relay in that system to end up crash landing on a habitable system. As for the catalyst, it only makes sense if you don't try to make sense of it. And this is just scratching the surface of how ridiculous the ending(s) is/are.

17. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:31 SXO

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 10:10:
They can't exactly go back and say "Here is the true ending" It would be beyond admission of defeat. It would literally dismantle whoever was responsible for writing the damn thing for his entire career. This ending is now what defines ME3, they can tweak it, but they can never retcon that, unless they send some mind-wipe pills with the DLC... because even if the ending gets better, the original ending is never forgotten
Funny that they've never had a problem retconning stuff before, both in the ME lore and in DA lore.

9. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:01 SXO

It's amazing how people can still be in denial. I thought the wording in this was quite clear that nothing is being changed, they are merely extending the cutscenes to further elaborate what happened to everyone. All the problems with the ending still stand, and this is exactly what I predicted.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter
4. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Apr 4, 2012, 11:08 SXO

*thinks back to Shadowrun on SNES*
In for $30!!!!

108 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo