Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SXO

Real Name SXO   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SXO
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 10, 2011, 13:51
Total Comments 105 (Novice)
User ID 57222

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases
24. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 08:37 SXO

Well, as I recall, what Pitchford said is that the game is smaller than BL2, but as big or slightly bigger than BL1. I personally wouldn't pay $60, but it is a full game, not an expansion.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
45. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 20, 2014, 09:13 SXO

I'm honestly baffled by all the hate for the gameplay of the first Crysis. When I first played it about 3 months after release, I fully expected it to suck. I went into it expecting it to be nothing more than eye candy with boring gameplay, and by the time I finished it I ranked it among my favorite FPS games.

I'm truly curious what it is about the gameplay that people found so boring. I mean, in hindsight, I would compare Crysis and Crysis Warhead's gunplay & movement with Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (a game everyone seemed to love), and Crysis itself felt rather open despite not being a true sandbox environment. It also managed to feel cinematic without feeling like someone was forcing me to look at certain places or holding my hand. As for the alien area, I get why people disliked it, even though I personally enjoyed the zero-g area just because of how different it felt (same reason I even enjoyed the equally unpopular Xen area in the original Half-Life); but I do fully comprehend how that totally ruined it for most people. But thinking back to other popular PC shooters of the time, I don't understand what made Crysis so poor in comparison in other people's minds. So can some people clue me in on what it is they feel the game failed to deliver on? I'm not looking for an argument, I truly just want to wrap my head around why my experience differed so greatly.

News Comments > Firefall Early Access
7. Re: Firefall Early Access Jul 16, 2014, 08:37 SXO

Wetworks24 wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 20:35:
Firefall is actually fun and has a lot of things going for it. Unfortunately, the content in beta was very limited. It was mostly farming thumper missions all day. Hopefully they've added enough content for the release to keep players happy for a while.
I can concur with this. I was in the first closed beta for the game, and the gameplay itself was incredibly fun, but pretty soon you would realize the only thing to do in PvE is thumper farming. I lost interest when I learned that their focus was actually PvP eSports, which is a far cry from the epic PvE scenario they showed off at PAX in 2010.

News Comments > "Stunning" Nitrous Engine Impressions
39. Re: Jan 10, 2014, 09:56 SXO

gray wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 08:24:
And Oxide has achieved just that. The demo we saw featured nearly ten thousand units and hovered around 30 frames per second the whole time.

wat.

I mean that's alot of units but, 30 fps is good now?

That's actually excellent considering they've yet to optimize it.

News Comments > Steam, Origin DDoSed?
7. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 11:42 SXO

They aren't doing this to make some sort of statement, they are simply trolling everyone. The fact that everyone is getting riled up is exactly their desired effect. In fact, didn't this originally start as a personal vendetta against a Twitch streamer?  

News Comments > EA Financials
14. Re: EA Financials May 8, 2013, 09:04 SXO

Why do they keep referring to Battlefield Premium as a "subscription?" Every single time they talk about it, they call it a subscription, but it's just a one-time purchase. Is this wording they use to make their shareholders feel better?  

News Comments > Crytek Plans Darksiders Bid
3. Re: Crytek Plans Darksiders Bid Mar 29, 2013, 10:47 SXO

I would love to see the 4-player coop one they claimed the series was leading up to. Can you imagine how awesome that would be? Borderlands-style coop with Soul Reaver/Legend of Zelda style gameplay?  

News Comments > NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed
3. Re: NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed Mar 21, 2013, 09:31 SXO

The sad part is that GK110 chip the TITAN uses was originally supposed to power the GTX 680, with the GK104 the 680 currently uses being meant for the midrange 660 cards. Unfortunately, due to a lack of competition, the extreme performance these chips produced, and nVidia's overt greed, they decided to use the GK104 as the high-end card, and saved the GK110 to the "refresh" cycle. Now that the refresh cycle is here, they instead opted to create a separate category for the GK110 and price it out of reach of most people with an obscene pricetag.

Now I know a bunch of people are going to come in crying about how capitalism works, but greed is greed, and it hurts business as well as consumers.

News Comments > TF2 Oculus Rift Details
12. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 13:46 SXO

If they patched in Oculus Rift support into HL2, that would give me another reason to play through the game again.  

News Comments > Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film
13. Re: Sam Raimi on the Warcraft Film Mar 6, 2013, 08:55 SXO

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 02:42:
.net_Drifter wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 00:46:
Raimi: I found out it wasn't my way or the highway, and whoops . . . that was that.

Before Spiderman 3, I might have thought it was a dick move by Blizzard.
After watching Spiderman 3, however . . . I'd have reservations about any screenplay he wrote about any property that wasn't his own, too.

Spiderman 3 wasn't all his fault. The studio forced him to add Venom, which really screwed up his original script.
Who forced him to add the dance routine?

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Shown
2. Re: Battlefield 4 Shown Feb 20, 2013, 08:41 SXO

I am immune to the hype machine. As far as I'm concerned, a true successor to BF2/2142 has yet to be released. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed BF3, but it felt like a hybrid of the series that leaned more towards Bad Company 2.  

News Comments > Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support
1. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 5, 2013, 08:45 SXO

At least he's honest and straightforward about it. He foolishly made a verbal (typed) commitment without realizing exactly what it entailed, and once he was made aware of it, he reneged. An honest mistake many people that suddenly came into money for the first time could make.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 13:14 SXO

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 12:15:
This is akin to Amazon selling you the kindle version of a book, but charging you extra if you want to read the chapters that it deems aren't really important to the overall plot of the book.

What? You got the gist, right? You don't NEED those extra chapters. Just because they are already on your Kindle doesn't mean you are entitled to read them without paying more.

You bought the Avengers on bluray, but we locked out 20 minutes of the movie that we deemed "extra." You have to pay more to see it. What? A different unit worked on those scenes. You're not entitled to them just because they are on the disc.

This guys argument is bullshit, and I think he knows it. Fluff for fluff's sake.
This is an excellent example, and I think I'm gonna use it from now on when debating this topic.

News Comments > First Steam Greenlight Selections
70. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 13, 2012, 09:00 SXO

OK, this whole thread has turned into one giant discussion/debate about the Black Mesa mod, but there's another question that I think needs to be answered. I've rated every single game on Greenlight, and I'm talking about careful meticulous evaluation that has consumed my life for the past week both at home and at work. And I just want to know one thing, how the heck did McPixel get greenlighted? Who were these people that upvoted it en masse, and why?  

News Comments > Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion
37. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 08:16 SXO

Sniper Elite v2 is on sale on Steam right now, and I was planning to buy it today, but now that I see this company's true colors, I'll pass. Talk about a frivolous lawsuit.  

News Comments > BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC
37. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 15, 2012, 08:58 SXO

Bhruic wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 18:17:
This is hardly surprising news. People tend to play a game when it first comes out. People tend not to go back and replay games (I know lots of us do, but we're not exactly a good random sampling). So having DLC come out 3 months later isn't going to get the sales that DLC right away is, simply because by that point fewer people will be interested in going back to play it.
I totally agree with this. The way these companies interpret their collected data bothers me.

@Dades & StingingVelvet
You both have good points, and I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. While I've always complained about people continuing to fork over their money for DLC, thereby legitimizing this business practice, I sometimes wonder if at least some portion of the consumer base feels like they don't have much choice. For example, Battlefield 3 has all these new map packs labeled as "expansions" being released. If among a group of 5 friends, 2 of them buy them, that will potentially split them up when they try to play together, so the other 3 will be compelled to purchase the map packs begrudgingly.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2012, 09:07.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied
46. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 08:54 SXO

Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 08:22:
I loved Half-Life...... I even loved the Xen missions

Good to know I'm not the only one. I knew I was in a tiny minority, but never actually saw another person that enjoyed the last section of the game. Also, crazily enough I enjoyed the last sections of Crysis 1 that everyone else seemed to hate.

I know those sections are notorious for being so different than the rest of their respective games, but I think that was kind of the point. You walk into Xen, it should feel alien, at least IMHO. The same goes for Crysis, at least within the ship/mountain. They could've made the outer sections a little more sandboxy ala Warhead, but alas they didn't, but it still wasn't terrible to me.

News Comments > BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC
27. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 14, 2012, 16:19 SXO

NKD wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 15:36:
NegaDeath wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 13:29:
They're confusing "importance" with "financially successful douchebaggery".

When you're a business, especially a game studio that is just one disappointing title from complete failure, financially successful douchebaggery is highly important.

Day 1 DLC works. People buy it. Consumers have spoken with their wallets and unfortunately they disagree with the popular Internet opinion of Day 1 DLC. It's not even an essential product. It's not like you absolutely have to have the DLC and you are being forced at gunpoint to buy it. Yet people still buy it.

A lot of these companies are portrayed as being somehow needlessly greedy. But most of them are financially struggling, at least in business terms. Greed is about excess. A lot of these companies are just keeping their bottom line intact with these supposedly greedy tactics. Sleazy? Yeah. But hardly excessive.

Everybody wants to play triple A blockbuster games, but nobody wants to pay what it costs to develop them.

Convince the industry to lay off 75% of their employees and make lower budget games and you won't have to deal with Day 1 DLC or any other of these recent sleazy tactics. But if people expect game budgets to continue to increase, logically the developers' income must also increase.
So its the consumers' fault that developers that work for mega-publishers like EA have absolutely no idea how to control their spending? Why is it that CD Projekt can produce The Witcher and The Witcher 2, give away all the "DLC" for free, sell "only" 4 million copies combined (both games and across all platforms), and they're still profitable? Does The Witcher 2 look like a low-budget game to you? How about you stop and question why EA's budgets are so astronomical, and whether these incredible games really cost as much as they're claiming they do to make? It's all horsesh*t, the companies have just become bloated insatiably gluttonous monsters.

Another example is the original Crysis which cost $22 million to make according to CryTek, and they were still profitable after the first year. The truth is when your competitor is making $100 million in the same time frame, your shareholders start to cry foul. So what happens? Time to start squeezing every last drop of money from your customers so your earnings reports start to look sweeter.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied
31. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 14, 2012, 16:02 SXO

I suspect that Half-Life 3 is actually being shown behind the scenes, not to promote HL3 itself, but to shop around the Source 2 engine that's been speculated to exist. So they'll have private meeting rooms to showcase the engine with the only game they currently are developing on it, HL3, in the hopes they'll get some licensees for Source 2.

That being said however, I'm sure there's barely anything done in the game itself, just enough to showcase the tech.

News Comments > BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required
45. Re: BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required Jul 19, 2012, 09:30 SXO

My prediction is BF4 will be a futuristic shooter as a spiritual successor to 2142. Despite all the fans wanting one before, EA had told DICE there wasn't enough interest to warrant its development. But now that Black Ops 2 is coming out, along with a glut of other futuristic shooters on the way, EA will do as EA does, and follow the trend rather than being the trendsetter.  

105 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo