Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SXO

Real Name SXO   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname SXO
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 10, 2011, 13:51
Total Comments 144 (Novice)
User ID 57222
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Apology
21. Re: PAYDAY 2 Apology Nov 24, 2015, 08:30 SXO
They're sorry all the way to the bank. I bet their revenue stream is higher than ever. People forget that although comparatively few people actually spend money in F2P/P2W games, those people spend so much that these companies actually make more money off of them than through traditional game sales.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Blizzard Sues Bot Maker
15. Re: Blizzard Sues Bot Maker Nov 12, 2015, 08:54 SXO
When you make games based on timesinks and grinding, this is what happens. I mean, let's think about it for just a second. In a single-player RPG, are you expected to grind for weeks on end to afford an armor in game? When the incentive to repeat dungeons with other people is the shiny tokens that gets you a new weapon or armor rather than the gameplay itself, you have a problem. Design MMO's more like single-player RPGs, remove the timesinks and the grind, and make the games actually fun, then things like this will cease to exist. When you put everyone on a treadmill that only speeds up over time, the natural result is some people are either going to fall behind, or find ways to beat the system. All my most pleasant memories from the MMO's I've played have nothing to do with the games themselves, but the people I played with. All that raiding, all the repetitive tasks that felt more like a chore than anything even remotely fun, all of it amounted to my current distaste for MMO's in general.  
News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week Nov 11, 2015, 08:27 SXO
Bub wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 06:45:
"..everything that sets Guild Wars 2 apart from other MMOs."

twitchy rock paper scissors combat
required long jumping puzzles in dungeons
Large group PVP (WVW) neglected
Some of the most dispised lore NPC's in gaming.

That said, it is pretty. I like how there is no kill stealing and you don't have to be grouped, only do enough damage to loot open world elites and up. I liked WvW, but it seems to be the devs least favorite thing to improve.
You forgot tons and tons of timesinks. You want a new sword skin? Be prepared to commit to hundreds of hours of grinding for the materials. Want that cool looking dungeon set? Spend weeks trying to find people willing to run the dungeon only to fail miserably because 2 members of the party never learned how to dodge. GW2 was the greatest bait and switch of all time. It was billed as "the MMO that respects your time" simply because it claimed that leveling didn't require grinding, and that there was no gear treadmill. What they failed to mention is that they replaced those timesinks with others instead. And then they later added the gear treadmill anyway by introducing "fractal" dungeons that are literally an endless gear treadmill.
News Comments > Guild Wars 64-Bit Client Beta
5. Re: Guild Wars 64-Bit Client Beta Nov 6, 2015, 12:05 SXO
Does anyone feel like it's a crying shame games were still being designed for 32-bit this many years later? We've had 64-bit CPU's since 2003. I understand why you would make 32-bit clients for games for maybe 4 years after the fact (5 tops), but after 2008, if you were making a game exclusively for PC, and you made a 32-bit client, you're a damn moron. And they say it's consoles that's holding back game development when in fact it's all the luddites.  
News Comments > Paragon Revealed
8. Re: Paragon Revealed Nov 4, 2015, 08:47 SXO
"Hey everybody, let's jump on the latest bandwagon of arena/MOBA hybrids. There's only like 12 other ones in development right now. We're sure to make money on this!"  
News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: Evening Previews Oct 27, 2015, 08:17 SXO
How Ubisoft raises expectations only to crush them on release.

When they first showed off this game I was so stoked. It looked like a highly polished DayZ style game with PvE elements. Instead it's looking more and more like Destiny. It's a loot grinder MMO.
News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 20, 2015, 08:29 SXO
descender wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 20:08:
Hopefully that isn't "complete these 15 radiant fetch quests to unlock the one good one".
I'm glad someone said it. Frankly I got bored with those junk quests in Skyrim rather quickly, and only later came to find out I needed to keep doing them to unlock real quests.
News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition Released
12. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition Released Oct 7, 2015, 08:29 SXO
And yet there's still no complete package for the Mass Effect series. Even if you buy that trilogy on sale, you're still spending $70+ to buy all the DLC for them cause they never go on sale.  
News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 5, 2015, 08:45 SXO
I wonder how many times the moon landing hoax conspiracy has to be debunked before it sinks in. It's one of those weird conspiracies that won't die despite the overwhelming evidence against it, like the Roswell crash incident.  
News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
90. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 08:54 SXO
Bluesnews is really having fun stroking Derek Smart's hard-on lately. You guys still giving this guy clout and beating his drum for him? I come here for real game stories, not this contrived controversy.  
News Comments > Op Ed
58. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2015, 08:22 SXO
Derek Smart is still spewing his vitriol and people are still eating it up. What a surprise.  
News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 10 Notes
9. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 10 Notes Sep 4, 2015, 08:37 SXO
PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 07:29:
Creston wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 21:56:
our focus is on introducing fan-requested features

YES! Finally we'll get some decent tactical mode combat!!

Were happy to introduce the player wardrobe

Player wardrobe? I haven't played the game, but I'm assuming that means the character couldn't change armors before. So in 2015 the ability to equip new armor for a different look in an RPG is a fan requested feature? Not a standard feature? Please, someone enlighten me if I'm way totally off base.
News Comments > Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers
24. Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 09:17 SXO
|RaptoR| wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 22:30:
Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 22:23:
|RaptoR| wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:08:
The hate runs thick on Bluesnews comment threads

Chalk that up to experience, son. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. While we love games - good ones at any rate - this is a very scummy industry in how they treat both customers and workers. The industry only has itself to blame for cultivating that sort of reaction.

Cutter, I work in the industry. I am well aware of the reality of things here.

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:27:
|RaptoR| wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:08:
The hate runs thick on Bluesnews comment threads

Well he's made some of that bed.

Jazz Jackrabbit
Unreal Tournament series
Gears of War series

Consulted/contributed to a ton of other projects, including Fat Princess.

Really hard to take issue with that resume.

I think the big thing that people constantly bring up are his comments on piracy and console exclusivity. I can see that being polarizing, I guess. As an industry veteran, I have a different perspective (because it has a direct and very real financial impact to myself personally). I respect both sides, but I think that the PC gamer crowd tends to ignore statistics and work off of gut instincts... but the numbers just don't support it.

Cliffs comments on piracy carry a significant amount of truth -- "PC master race" folks are adamant about denying it, but piracy is real on the PC and it very much so makes developers think twice about targeting the PC with a traditional model. Our multiplatform games utilize back-end analytics services to help us understand play styles and habits of our users so we can understand which modes are popular and which aren't. The data is anonymous, but it does allow us to very easily see legitimately licensed copies vs pirated copies and the numbers are absolutely staggering. Consoles and mobile have an incredibly low percentage, but PC? 80%+ of connected users are not using a genuine license. We don't rely on any DRM, either.

Why do you think DLC is so universally pushed nowadays?
Why do you think that subscription based games are mostly on the PC?

These are not coincidences.

Either way, Cliff's resume stands on its own, and I for one have been looking forward to a non-military shooter for a good while now. Can't wait to see what this brings to the table.

PC gamers do not deny that piracy exists. Heck, we don't even deny that there are a majority of people pirating. What we do deny is that it affects the bottomline of the developer/publisher. The fact is people that pirate are people that are unwilling or unable to pay for games, and they're just going to pirate regardless. Using DRM doesn't convert pirates into paying customers, all it does is ruin the experience for the legitimate customers.

Also, I specifically remember CliffyB's statements about PC gamers. He basically stated that if someone knew how to build their own PC, they must know how to pirate, so they will. When someone lumps you in with another group of people like that, and basically calls you a thief, it kind of rubs you the wrong way. Epic was very successful when they were a PC only developer, so to turn around and suddenly claim PC gamers were a bane to game developers was an enormous insult. Some may call that feelings of entitlement, but I call it spiting in the face of the very demographic that supported you to get you where you are.

It would be like if an indie band that played grunge music managed to find some success, and through that success became more and more popular. Then suddenly they decided to do pop music exclusively because it pays more money, telling everyone they will no longer do grunge music because most fans of that genre don't pay for music. That's all well and good. They want money, go chase the money, but don't chastise the grunge music listeners in the process. And especially don't decide when your fame has faded that you'll suddenly start performing grunge again, expecting the fans to welcome you back with open arms.
News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
138. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 08:49 SXO
Derek Smart is back to his self aggrandizing shenanigans, and everyone is eating it right up because of how badly they want to hate on CIG now. It's like people have a need to have a controversy to grumble about.

Kickstarters can fail. I don't know what reality people are coming from where they think they can donate money to a project, and there's no way it can possibly fail. If you're supporting Kickstarters and having a shitfit because they fail and you lost your money, then perhaps you shouldn't be investing. If Star Citizen succeeds, awesome! My money was well spent. If it fails, that sucks, but life goes on. I've spent a lot more money on games I wish I wouldn't have, like Aliens: Colonial Marines, but I'm not going to purposely try to sink companies because I lost $50. I learned my lesson, don't pre-order Gearbox games. Similarly, if Star Citizen fails, I know I shouldn't trust CIG to produce projects of epic proportions in the future. Put down your torches and pitchforks and go play the dozens upon dozens of other good games there are to play right now. Wait until CIG actually succeeds or fails before joining this pointless rabble.
News Comments > Evening Interviews
12. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 26, 2015, 06:31 SXO
NetHead wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 03:14:
I wouldn't expect any kind of multiplayer in any of the Elder Scrolls/Fallout games from Bethesda.

It's a combination of both won't and can't. They know how much their games being highly moddable benefits them, it's the number one sales point and virtually the only thing that keeps their sales going for so long.

With a game that can be so modded multiplayer can become impossible. Mmissing, conflicting, altered, new: land masses, NPCs, monsters, items, abilities, this list would go on for a very long time and goes far beyond textures and meshes etc.

The only way multiplayer would be possible in such a game is if both/all playing had virtually the exact same game, including all installed mods and even those mod's settings in many cases. Very few would not guarantee severe to utterly game breaking/crashing problems.

They haven't avoided multiplayer to focus on singleplayer, or to manage resources or anything else, it's because of mods and the heaps of sales/money mods in turn bring both at release and especially in time.
Perhaps they could design the MP to work similar to how the ARMA series handles it. You use/download only what the server has when you connect to it. You could have a bunch of mods installed, but you can still connect to any ARMA server you desire. You'll simply inherit their setup for that play session. They'd have to totally revamp how the file structure currently works, but if they had a way for co-op to function natively, I think that would do wonders for these games. It's no secret modders have worked on MP mods for these games for a long time.
News Comments > New Evolve Hunter Ushers in Price Cuts
14. Re: New Evolve Hunter Ushers in Price Cuts Jun 25, 2015, 09:28 SXO
HoSpanky wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 09:20:
Just curious, did ANYONE on here buy this game? I know zero people who bought it. Not ONE person on my Steam friends list has it.
My friend bought it, and his exact quote to me the other day when I mentioned there's another season pass coming out was "I got robbed by that game." He played it for 2 weeks then got tired of how repetitive it felt.
News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video
19. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video Jun 19, 2015, 06:28 SXO
I guess a lot of you folks missed the part where they said they basically have cheats enabled for the sake of demoing the game.  
News Comments > Evening Consolidation
14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 17, 2015, 06:58 SXO
Bundy wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 09:54:
nin wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 08:58:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 04:18:
With how unique the architecture on the PS3 was compared to the pretty standard x86 hardware in the 360, I don't see the PS4 getting emulation of PS3-era games ever.

They'll continue to push their streaming service. which is unfortunate, as I'd much prefer local emulation (which I totally agree with you - w/o the chip, it's going to be extremely hard if not impossible).

I don't think the Xbox 360 was x86.
No, it wasn't, but it sure as heck is far easier to emulate games for the 360 than it is games made for the PS3's Cell processor.
News Comments > Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions
23. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 7, 2015, 07:43 SXO
I wonder how many of the personnel they hired are from that big purge Valve did a while back. I mean, the team is even based in Seattle.  
News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 4, 2015, 07:09 SXO
That was a great talk. I'm wondering if instead of using controllers that maybe they should be looking into developing some sort of gloves with positional tracking instead.  
144 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

Blue's News logo