Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Phasenoise

Real Name Phasenoise   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Phasenoise
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 8, 2011, 00:48
Total Comments 97 (Suspect)
User ID 57213

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
6. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Aug 31, 2015, 18:31 Phasenoise

From Performance Improvements to Feces Therapy in 5 posts.

Has to be a record.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
66. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 15:43 Phasenoise

descender wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 15:09:
That's not entirely accurate Phasenoise (and if it is you can point me at the proper information, that would be great).

Violet is a spectral color with it's own wavelength. Purple is not. Many reference charts incorrectly refer to Violet as purple.

Purple is a combination of specific red and blue wavelengths. There is no such thing as a monochromatic light source that can produce "purple light". The spectrum goes from Blue -> Indigo -> Violet -> UV.

I suppose I could have been more accurate than simply saying "it's not a color".

This is so much more interesting than anything to do with this article. /derail /woohoo

I stand corrected, you're right. I was guilty of doing the automatic purple->violet translation.

It actually is more interesting than bickering about star citizen.

61. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 14:44 Phasenoise

Scheherazade wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 14:27:

I think he's going all Nietzsche and suggesting that "color" as a concept exists in our human mind, and since humans can only detect discrete RGB, then all color that isn't R xor G xor B is a pure product of our mind.

Distinction being physical reality vs human/perceived reality.

-scheherazade

Color can be any wavelength. Things that aren't strictly R G and B are realities, and are most certainly not pure products of some human mind. Also, we don't perceive strict RGB. We have three cone types, but they are not aligned at pure R G and B, more like B G and Y.

The only thing that is related to us is what label we assign to different wavelengths.

Although now I've heard that sometimes Blue light will demand to self-identify as Orange. At least in California.

57. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 14:06 Phasenoise

descender wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 13:32:
Actually the sky is purple

Let's go full derail mode... purple isn't actually a real color (monochromatic wavelength)! It only exists in your mind as the overlap between the blue and red spectrums.

Purple is every bit as "real" a color as any other. All wavelengths are by definition monochromatic as they describe a single color. And "purple" is a wavelength a touch larger than violet, a little over 400nm.

I think you're confusing the properties light itself with the additive color model used to reproduce a rainbow from fixed-color primaries.

News Comments > SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10
7. Re: SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10 Aug 17, 2015, 18:53 Phasenoise

I would argue this crapware was broken on all OSes, as it's only function was to piss me off as a paying customer.  

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Aug 12, 2015, 15:14 Phasenoise

I thought it said Cubicle of the Gods, didn't sound like much fun.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 30, 2015, 18:47 Phasenoise

Most of the games are crappy little minimum wage job simulators too, involving some idiotic little tedium to do daily.

As it says, there isn't even really a winning, or defeating some cool system. There's just outspending or outgrinding other people.

How is this possibly fun?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 10:37 Phasenoise

If ads were like print ads, nobody would care. But when they run active content, animations flashing spinning leaping they slow things down, are distracting and compromise security. So OF COURSE people look to remove them. It's a natural response to an irritation or threat.

Advertisers shot themselves in the ass, and good luck getting the genie back in the bottle.

News Comments > Op Ed
60. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 17:42 Phasenoise

All I ask is that he at least posts vids of the hookers and crack parties.
In fact, I thought of some fun new stretch goals.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
14. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 12, 2015, 09:47 Phasenoise

Why are mommy and daddy fighting?  

News Comments > Overwatch Video
20. Re: Overwatch Video May 14, 2015, 13:14 Phasenoise

They're doing the sensory overload game I see.

Make a game with tons of stupid distractions and obstructions to being able to see the enemy. Hands waving, text in the middle of the screen telling you what you already know you just did, constant blathering from yourself and other players giving no useful information, everything has to have a halo/flash/splash.

To compensate after everyone complains, add giant bright icons overlaid on top of the screen where all friends and enemies are.
Now you can't see ANY artwork, and the whole screen is lens flares, flashing words, big rectangles. Visibility is reduced to an absurd low where now you just aim at the center of red rectangles.

It's competing with itself for visibility, and losing.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: PS4 and Xbox are 'absurdly powerful,' 1080p-60fps is 'just a starting point. May 8, 2015, 14:11 Phasenoise

Games run at 1080p* 60fps** for sure!

* - Rendered internally at 900x600 and upscaled.
** - 60fps interlaced, and with no enemies on screen.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released
16. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released Mar 24, 2015, 18:38 Phasenoise

Cutter wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 17:41:
Wtf? I bought the deluxe edition and I see now that it didn't include any forthcoming DLC. Fucking EA, man.

Yes, the deluxe DA:I is sadly a shockingly bad value, even among an already dubious crowd of Deluxe Editions.

News Comments > DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing?
27. Re: DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing? Feb 25, 2015, 15:12 Phasenoise

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 14:33:
Maybe DX12 will have some amazing magic in place that would just allow you to parallel boost performance like that, but this bit does not seem to indicate so: Lots of the optimization work for the spreading of workloads is left to the developers.

I really don't think this will wind up having much, if any, effect at all.

I'm willing to bet you are correct. I don't see this as a significant market anywhere near worth what the engineering cost to make it workable in a given title would entail.

Like you say, if DX12 fully abstracted all GPU resources and the dev was completely unaware of the cards perhaps. But that seems the opposite of the "closer to the metal" approach touted. The quote you used does indicate where the expected effort lies.

It's already a massive pain to get a title working on all the normal single GPU cards out there, harder still to get it working well in SLI/CF, and sweet jesus save us all if we have to support Any/Any.

News Comments > Elite: Deadly TradeMarked
8. Re: Elite: Deadly TradeMarked Feb 19, 2015, 22:09 Phasenoise

I'd settle for Elite: Fun at this point.  

News Comments > D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year
6. Re: D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year Feb 12, 2015, 18:54 Phasenoise

A toolkit is a great sign. This invariably means they can't nickle and dime with shitty horse armor DLC, and expansion will be actual expansions of content.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
20. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 29, 2015, 08:51 Phasenoise

Sarkeesian has become the new Derek Smart of thread destruction. Say the name, and the original topic disappears in the rear view.  

News Comments > Turtle Rock on Evolve DLC Backlash
37. Re: Turtle Rock on Evolve DLC Backlash Jan 15, 2015, 20:29 Phasenoise

I think it might be great for high end competitive play. I liked watching the recent Twitch stream of their best players going at it.

But man, the cost seems nuts. I'd chance a game where there's a very good chance of me being curbstomped every game for 20 maybe 40 bucks. 60 is just way out of line, then the DLC carrot really sours me even more. Christ, for 60 bucks, toss in another pokemon.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 9, 2015, 22:52 Phasenoise

Maybe it really is rougelike though.  

News Comments > Notch Buys $70M Beverly Hills Mansion
29. Re: Notch Buys $70M Beverly Hills Mansion Dec 19, 2014, 08:49 Phasenoise

I'm happy a nerd gets to blow tons of money on worthless crap instead of just retarded actors and ballers.  

97 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo