Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Saboth

Real Name Saboth   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 3, 2011, 00:22
Total Comments 421 (Amateur)
User ID 57205
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs -RIAA etc. Oct 8, 2015, 21:11 Saboth
Bub wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 07:56:
This so humorus.

It's like Calvin Klein trying to sue the parking lot where a flea market happens to make that person police the transactions, when in fact, Calvin Klein and company should be doing it them selves, ie. making individual accusations and informing police of the facts.

The reality is this is a shake down of the parking lot owner, for a cut of the non-existent action.

Yeah, it's a real shame how our government has been bought out to protect corporate interests. I understand you want to prevent theft, but this stuff has gone beyond surreal. Take Homeland Security for instance. When this department was proposed, Americans were told it would *only* be used to combat the terrorist threat. These days they bust people for illegal downloads, making copies of CDs or DVDS, and any number of things that have absolutely nothing to do with terrorism, but has a lot to do with using our tax dollars to help corporate interests protect their profits.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 8, 2015, 21:04 Saboth
Timmeh wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 17:37:
Gun control law are not the problem.

Violent media of all types kind of are the problem. But regardless it will only affect a handful of people out of a few hundred million in such a way as to lead to such an act as a school shooting.

By violent media I mean all of it. Including News, political Web sites, movies, books, games, music, television, radio talk shows etc.

Its a mix of things that come together that will push a specific person off the edge. And lets not forget all the brain drugs out there either...

But that was because these specific people were F'ed in the head to start with.

20 violent crazy people out of 350 million is not a total shift in civilization like everyone thinks. that logic is just another indication of the influence of the Media.

Read some history sick people have been at stuff like this a long time. the Golden age everyone imagines hasn't existed since the fall of MU.

Since billions of people are exposed to violent media on a daily basis, yet only hundreds or thousands go on to be dangerously violent, it seems the violent media is not the source at all. As you said, violent media may have a destabilizing effect on people with mental problems, and I think there are a few studies that show this. However, the problem is not the violent media then, but rather the people that have these problems. Since millions of people play Call of Duty or Mortal Kombat, then we should have millions of violent murderers on the loose, but in fact, the people that play these games are no more likely to commit a crime than people that do not play these games. However, people that are mentally unstable may be attracted to things like hardcore rap, violent movies or video games, simply because of their nature, but that doesn't mean the media itself caused their problem. Republicans trot out the same old busted myths time and again, that have already been disproven. The cause of gun violence is anything except guns. In the early parts of the century, comic books were causing our kids to be evil. Then it was this new thing called rock music. Then it was Dungeons and Dragons. Then rap music. Now video games. Soon it will be virtual reality.
News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 7, 2015, 22:23 Saboth
"The big problem was footnoting, which was not up to standard and we very much regret that," Parkes said to Motherboard". Actually, no, the problem was your premise was false from the start, and you used a bunch of citations that were nonsense and discredited mumbo-jumbo. As far as I can determine, there has never been a study that has proven a link between violent video games and long-term violent behavior. Of the few studies that do show a link of any kind, those studies show that short term "aggression" or "hyperactivity" is elevated during or immediately after playing a game, much like someone might get hyped up after watching a football game or playing a competitive sport. The levels of aggression completely fall back to normal after a short period, with no indicators of long-term personality change.  
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 7, 2015, 22:17 Saboth
Let me guess, Republicans will hold the government hostage until they get concessions for their corporate donors. This is not how the government is supposed to work. You pass laws, the president signs or does not sign them. If the law passes and it is challenged in court, you can see how the courts rule, then adjust the laws or pass new ones. You don't hold your breath and refuse to do your job until you get your way.
News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Oct 4, 2015, 21:11 Saboth
I've never understood why the government thinks the Constitutions stops at the border. I understand we want to inspect people for fruit, animals, contraband, etc., in order to protect the ecosystem, etc., but in what world should the government have the ability to steal and search all electronic devices, simply because "it's the border". Unless they have a reasonable suspicions of a crime, the Constitution is pretty clear on the matter. Not sure where things got off track on this issue.  
News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 1, 2015, 15:01 Saboth
harlock wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 08:09:
both of you are totally fucking clueless

There are definitely question marks above my head at the moment.
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 30, 2015, 20:12 Saboth
"0.0084 per stream". I doubt many people are actually paying $1 per song for music. I think most people probably buy an album when its $4.99-$9.99, so what, maybe .50-.80 per song? Let's say I listen to streaming music and stream a song a few times per week, maybe 2-3 times, because anyone on ad radio knows songs repeat like crazy (imo, you can easily hear the same song 2-3 times a day on many of these stations, if you listen all day). But let's say 3 times a week, every week. .0084x3x52 = 1.31. Just in a year. So if you listen to streaming ad radio for years, an artist might make $1, $2, $5 per song in the long run, vs that one-time .50 purchase. I've never seen anyone bring this up in the discussion. Everyone focuses on the paltry .006 or .0084 per play, but does anyone listen to a song they like once and never again? Sure, .99 is > .0084, but that's a one time profit vs constant profit.  
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 30, 2015, 19:56 Saboth
InBlack wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 03:23:
Saboth wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 20:30:
The good 'ol Red Scare...I mean War on Terror. Great at wasting tax dollars and giving the illusion of safety, even better at hurting the US tech and data industries, one of the few prospering industries left in the country.

I agree with the first part of your statement, but disagree with the second part. Today's kind of big brother world is perfect for the tech and data industries, they are thriving.

Lots of foreign governments don't want our hardware because they suspect back doors are built in. Many foreign governments and companies are pulling their data storage from the US. Some companies that used to do a lot of business in other countries are seeing a dip, because it was proven those companies worked with the government. This'll only get worse, as US tech companies and our government have lost the trust of foreign governments and businesses.

One article:
zdnet article

Another article says it may be costing tech companies 35+ billion as foreign governments and companies look to their own software/hardware solutions and storage.
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 29, 2015, 20:30 Saboth
The good 'ol Red Scare...I mean War on Terror. Great at wasting tax dollars and giving the illusion of safety, even better at hurting the US tech and data industries, one of the few prospering industries left in the country.  
News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Sep 28, 2015, 19:29 Saboth
$1300+ in video cards just to fail to get 60 fps, no matter what top-of-the-line cards you buy. Think I'll stick with 1440 for another year or two.  
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 23, 2015, 11:29 Saboth
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 07:35:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 23:47:
Apparently, this is an easy problem to solve. The medicine patent expired decades ago, but distribution laws prevent anyone else from making it?
Interesting, I was wondering what the deal was since the drug had been around for decades. I'd like to hear the full explanation of what allows them to have exclusivity. I'd love for whatever that is to be changed.

From what I understand, nothing stops someone else from making the drug, except you have to apply to the FDA and go through a really expensive and long process to make it, which takes years. So you will spend millions of dollars with hopes to be approved to make this generic drug that is being made, in hopes of getting into a pricewar with someone else over a drug that should be selling for $1-$7. Just not worth it for a company to do that for as many people need the medicine, unless they were doing it out of pure generosity, and even then, the red tape and costs are extreme. The entire system is rigged to prevent competition and give the most $ to entrenched corporations that pay politicians to keep it that way, under the pretense of "safety" (just like how we aren't allowed to import medicine from other first world countries at 1/100th cost, because of "safety".)
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 22, 2015, 19:28 Saboth
I was thinking about Streaming music recently. Some people have said artists and music companies lose out, because of the paltry payment they get for each song. From an article:

"Over a 4 week period last year, my song 'Smoke&Fire' had 517 streams on Spotify. My total earnings for that song from Spotify was $2.40. From this we can work out that each time someone listens to the song, the artist (in this case me) has earned $0.0046. If the same number of people had purchased the song from iTunes for $1.69AUD, after Apples commission this would have equated to around $567.92"

There's a big flaw in this train of thought. When I stream music, I might get a message like "are you still listening? We have to pay for each play of a song", if I listen too long. So that makes me believe each time a song is played, the artist gets their fraction of a cent. Personally, there are come CDs and songs that I listen to infinitely. Meaning I might play them hundreds or thousands of times, over a lifetime. If I buy a song, the artist might get .5 or .99 or something, ONE time. If I listen to a song 250 times in a lifetime, they get $1.15. Even if it's only 50 times in a lifetime, its .25.

From my viewpoint, people that make bad music lose out because you might listen to a fad song a few times, but people making good music will win out in the long run.
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 22, 2015, 19:15 Saboth
Republicans are once again, on the wrong side of the issue/history. Yes, broadband is now a utility. You pay your bills, take classes, take tests, do your homework, pay your mortgage, tickets, invest, get news, teach class, talk to people, communicate, work your job, run your home, and thousands of other services through the net. In fact, some companies are now charging you extra if you want to do business in person, or over the phone instead of over the internet. Can you get by without it? Sure, if you are retired and use it for emailing a grandkid once a month. These monopolies are quaking in their boots at actually having to provide the services they agreed to provide, or have competition introduced by the government or legislation.  
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 22, 2015, 19:08 Saboth
I didn't need any more reasons to not vote for Jeb, but ok.
"prohibit one group of companies (ISPs) from charging another group of companies (content companies) the full cost for using their services". Well yeah. If I'm paying for 25 mbps down, why should Netflix or Youtube kick in millons of dollars to make sure I get 25 mbps down? I'm already paying for that. The ISP has an obligation through an agreement with *me* to provide what I'm paying for. Saying ISPs should be paid coming and going is like saying I should pay a $5 toll each time I pass a private toll booth in a Honda, and Honda should kick in $3 because most of the traffic on the road is Honda cars.

The only reason I'm paying for 25 mbps down is so I can stream movies and play games. If not for these services Netflix, Youtube, etc. provide, I'd be happy with 1mbps and paying Comcast $10 a month or something. These ISPs should be thanking their lucky stars that content creators are driving the demand for their services. Not only that, but the government already pays/paid these ISPs to expand their networks and speed. So it's like the greedy SOBS want to be paid 3 times for doing one job.
News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Sep 16, 2015, 22:49 Saboth
I haven't played WoW in years, but holy crap, $25 for a stupid mount? No wonder people are leaving the game in droves.  
News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Sep 10, 2015, 18:26 Saboth
"I am always proud to be the principal of Hillsborough High School but never more so than when we all pull together in an emergency". What emergency? One student heard others talking about a video game and everyone flipped out due to the mass paranoia we have in this country concerning school shootings. Everyone involved should be embarrassed.  
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 8, 2015, 21:30 Saboth
I just spent 40 minutes trying to post this. I was offered several choices, I could preview comment, or post comment, and there was a check to the effect of "email me when this topic is updated". I was paralyzed by so many choices. In the end, I had to take a long walk to mull over the decisions offered to me, then just pressed random keyboard buttons and left it up to fate.  
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 8, 2015, 21:21 Saboth
I just spent this past weekend upgrading my PC. $550 for 16 GB DDR4, Z170 mobo, i5 6600k, and CPU cooler. I was upgrading from a 2009 i5-750, 8 GB DDR3 and P55 mobo. The 750 has been running at 3.6-3.7 ghz for about 5+ years now. It was hard to determine how much of a performance gain I'd see, since most tests were comparing the 2.66 stock 750 speed to the 3.5-3.9 speed of the 6600, instead of the OC. Long story short, I went from about 8800 in 3DMark Firestrike to about 10100, about 72 FPS average in Arkham City to 105. That's with the 6600k running at 4.6.

However, when I went from my gtx 570 to my gtx 970, my 3DMark went from about 4500 to that 8800, earlier this year, showing that video cards offer far bigger gains than processor upgrades.

The system is definitely faster, but I recall back when going even 2-3 years for a CPU upgrade netted close to 100% performance gains, vs 25-50% in 5+ years. There's just no reason to upgrade every two-three years, like back in the day. I expect this build will last me another 3-5 years, unless there is some major tech breakthrough.
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 20:40 Saboth
I'll probably subscribe now. Haven't fooled with Hulu due to ads. Just don't watch ads. I don't care if its 15, 30, 90 seconds, I'm not watching them. I'll gladly pay $12 for Hulu wo ads. Hell, I pay $7 a month for Crunchyroll without ads, and they only show a quick single ad for each show if you don't subscribe.  
News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trespasser DLC & Patch Plans
10. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trespasser DLC & Patch Plans Aug 30, 2015, 18:54 Saboth
Paranoid Jack wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 17:31:
I never got over the tactical combat which was promised that was never really there. So I have yet to play the game more than a couple dozen hours. Forgive me for asking yet again. Has the tactical combat been fixed yet? I don't want to spend the time reinstalling just to be reminded that I was lied to and they have yet to make it a viable way of playing the game. DAI will be the last Bioware game that I will purchase day one. They have more than proven their willingness to stretch the facts while hyping their games. Burned me several times now.

I just finished DA:I early this morning (did a half playthrough then started again on Nightmare).
I'd probably give it a 6.5 out of 10. Graphics were great, but yeah, the game was way too limiting. Limited to the spells you can get, limited to the abilities you can use (8??), limited to the weapons/armor you can wear. It's a really long game to be stuck with just a few abilities. Also, the fights were super small. Usually your team of 4 vs 3, 4, 6 other guys. No need to for tactics really, for such little skirmishes. Huge world, but every zone was basically the same thing. Find shards, close rifts, do a few little side quests. Item upgrades were pretty slow, tons of trash loot, not much difference in gear overall. Could have easily have been a contender for a great game though.
421 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

Blue's News logo