Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 198 (Novice)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Dirt Rally Mods or DLC Unlikely
8. Re: Dirt Rally Mods or DLC Unlikely Jul 21, 2015, 17:16 theglaze

These could be the glory days of Dirt modding because when the game is finished, they may tighten down the hatches. No one has figured out how to crack the new file system for F1 2015, but looks like Dirt Rally Early Access is more like previous releases (perhaps because it doesn't 'yet' use EGO Engine 4.0 like F1?)  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
4. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jul 13, 2015, 20:26 theglaze

Flatline wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 14:42:
Yeah I was looking at F1 but the steam reviews are suggesting to hold off due to the bugs.

Did F1 get an early release? Rally is in the middle of one and it's kind of cool and frustrating at the same time.

Yeah, this release is +2 months earlier than the previous titles (which were late September to early October).

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jul 13, 2015, 14:15 theglaze

Yeah? Dirt Rally is on my radar but as an F1 fan I just had to buy the new installment. While I haven't noticed many glitches, the list of bugs at the Codemasters form is quite long...  

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - F1 2015
7. Re: Ship Ahoy - F1 2015 Jul 11, 2015, 08:46 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 01:47:
Some people hold up 2013 as the gold standard. Hopefully someone can let us know how this compares.

Depends on how you look at it.

The old school cars found in the Classic Edition DLC for F1 2013 were fun because they lacked grip due to low downforce and smaller front wheels, plus the 80's cars also had a reckless amount of TURBO power. These cars were HARD to drive...and the refined 2013 cars in the game were not at all interesting to race when compared to the classic content.

People hate on F1 2014 and call it a stopgap title because it 'lacked content' compared to the previous release. But that is shortsighted.

Codies used the lessons learned from those classic turbos to introduce a surprisingly fun lineup of new-age turbo cars for F1 2014. The driving mechanics they simcaded are a great combination of torquey, tail-happy cars that fit into the modern formula of downforce and grip. IMO, these cars are the most difficult and rewarding to drive of all the modern F1 cars that Codies have created in the franchise.

Furthermore, Codies F1 2011 and 2012 featured unlimited DRS activation in practice and qualifying (hot lap mode), so it was possible to kick the wing open before the car was straight and slide out the tail on exit. F1 2013 matched the FIA rules of that season which limited DRS activation to only the designated zones, making the cars feel neutered and the driving experience less engaging. Without the classic content, I think F1 2013 could be considered the worst of the bunch.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - F1 2015
6. Re: Ship Ahoy - F1 2015 Jul 11, 2015, 08:02 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 01:47:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 19:43:
No SLI support? Fucking hell, not this again. Pathetic.

Really? For 5% of gamers out there? For a graphics engine that hardly requires it?

Man I totally foresaw no SLI support in the last F1 2015 thread on Blue lol

News Comments > The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna This Month
2. Re: The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna This Month Jul 9, 2015, 04:42 theglaze

I really enjoyed my time spent within Talos Principle: the story and world they created were intriguing, the puzzles were fun to solve and the easter eggs were often a surprise.

I highly recommend this to anyone who likes puzzle games or hasn't played one in a long time.

News Comments > F1 2015 Specs
3. Re: F1 2015 Specs Jul 7, 2015, 23:50 theglaze

Don't expect this to run smoothly from the start, regardless of what you're running for a rig. I recall waiting 3 months for SLI support with F1 2012.  

News Comments > F1 2015 Features Trailer
2. Re: F1 2015 Features Trailer Jul 2, 2015, 20:56 theglaze

For me it's all about the car handling.

The community will continue to release mods for textures, cars, drivers, helmets, etc...

But if the car modeling doesn't improve from 2014, count me out.

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Content Plans
10. Re: Killing Floor 2 Content Plans Jun 28, 2015, 03:06 theglaze

XP resets are also in the Early Access

As for the teleportation, I agree that it needs to be removed or significantly revamped.

Personally, I find the clunky movement of zeds over objects to be more annoying as they've instantly rise and fall over fences and what not with no climbing action, and ruining any lined up shot.

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Content Plans
4. Re: Killing Floor 2 Content Plans Jun 27, 2015, 16:16 theglaze

omg the gore technology is marvelous!  

News Comments > XCOM2 E3 Trailer
3. Re: XCOM2 E3 Trailer Jun 25, 2015, 18:20 theglaze

I played XCOM Enemy Unknown, really enjoyed that title. I picked up Enemy Within but got sidetracked by Xenonauts, logged about 25 hours into my current run.

I won't preorder XCOM 2, but don't take that personally Firaxis, I've been burned too many times.

This new one looks a bit more streamlined and glossy; I would like to see more detail and complexity like that found in Xenonauts.

News Comments > T500 RS Wheel Firmware; Wheel Not Discontinued
3. Re: T500 RS Wheel Firmware; Wheel Not Discontinued Jun 25, 2015, 15:28 theglaze

nofb wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 14:26:
Yes, it's quite pricey and about on par with Fanatec (at least here in Europe), do the wheel and pedals really justify such a high price? Not that I'd dare buy a Fanatec after seeing disturbing reports on the overall quality and noise (now, maybe there are as many for the other brands too).

Fanatec products are like a fickle sports car, the time spent trouble shooting performance issues and completing part replacement make up 30% of my time! Every Fanatec product I've owned has developed minor or major issues, but all have been gracefully handled through Fanatec support (although impatient owners without backup peripherals will claim to have a significantly different experience).

I stick with Fanatec because I like supporting the innovative underdog that's trying to push the market in the direction its customers want (universal hub). In contrast, Logitech has been pumping out the G25/G27 for 9 years, and Thrustmaster has been riding the T500RS for 4 years (but neither the TX nor T300RS are full on revolutions in design).

The Logitech G290 reminds me of VW reintroducing the Beetle in the late 90s: the higher price and change in driving mechanics immediately make it an inferior product compared to its predecessor, even though it is "better" in every way.

News Comments > T500 RS Wheel Firmware; Wheel Not Discontinued
1. Re: T500 RS Wheel Firmware; Wheel Not Discontinued Jun 25, 2015, 13:08 theglaze

I call BULLSHIT!

Amazon Pricing:
Thrustmaster T500RS = $584
Thrustmaster TX + T3PA-PRO = $482
Thrustmaster T300RS + T3PA-PRO = $587

Not only is the T500RS listed as the 26th of 26 wheel products on Thrustmaster website's Wheel product page, but it does not support either PS4 or XB1. Even if a new buyer was going to exclusively use a wheel for the PC, it's still a smarter choice to go with the TX or T300RS because of resell value.

Then consider that a new buyer can buy a TX (plus the upgraded pedals) for $100 LESS THAN the cost of the +4 year old T500RS (without a brushless motor) or support their latest gear shifter.

Clearly then, it's a product that must be discontinued or replaced by an updated PC-only wheel. My guess is the rumor is right, but Thurstmaster still has a lot of T500RS in the distribution channel and are hoping to sucker in some poor schmucks who are dishing out almost $600 and expecting the best.

At least sell the soon-to-be-discontinued T500RS for a discount, Thrustmaster, you jerks.

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Announced
20. Re: Project CARS 2 Announced Jun 22, 2015, 19:08 theglaze

Rigs wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 18:28:
As a 'hardcore' simracer, I find this disgusting. And I'm not alone. Like space-combat-trading-sims, these things are a labor of love. They're not a cash grab. Or at least, they're not supposed to be. I don't know what Chris Roberts is smoking. (Apparently some good shit, considering how much money he got but I digress) Sim racing is something that takes years of practice, years of commitment. Hundreds of dollars in equipment. You don't spend $400 on a wheel and pedals to play Forza. Sorry. I mean I don't. Or wouldn't. This whole 'ship it and flip it' is bullshit.

Let's take a look at Race07. Given the number in it's name, the sim was released in 2007. Continually upgraded by the folks that gave us GTR and GTR2, this sim has spun off Race07, RaceOn, RaceOn Extreme, a ton of expansions and mods including the absolutely excellent Game Stock Car . Nascar Racing 2003 still lives through mods, even today, 12 years after release. Grand Prix Legends (GPL]), the granddaddy of open wheel sims on modern systems (aside from the old but still good, Grand Prix 2 (F1GP2)), still has mods and is still supported by the mod community. rFactor is still supported by mods and was the catalyst for the GTR-series. You don't release a racing simulator, dump it on the community and then quickly move on to the next iteration. Your sim will die. I can tell you that without hesitation. PC has it's merits, it's beautiful and is a very good simulator. It does what it does well. But it will be a footnote in simracing history if they continue with this practice. The community is not going to support these actions...

=-Rigs-=

Hear, hear!

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Announced
16. Re: Project CARS 2 Announced Jun 22, 2015, 17:02 theglaze

nin wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 16:02:
OldDirtyEwok wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 15:58:
ForgedReality wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 15:45:
Welp, so much for buying either one now. I had been considering PC1, but now that they're already moving onto a new game? Fuck that. Bye bye, Slightly Mad. I won't be buying any of your products.

I don`t see the problem to start funding the sequel now, a game can take 2-3 years to make...and it doesn`t mean they are abandoning PC1 either.

Seriously, doesn't every studio do this?

Racing simulators are NOT like other gaming franchises.

The idea with a simulator is to continuously develop it, striving for greater accuracy and depth in physics, tire models, car tuning, etc. Subscription services like iRacing or Gran Turismo's DLC help add new content (cars, tracks, modes) and upgrade the simulator to keep the original players interested. That community matures and often supports itself, leading to an enriched experience for new drivers with the sim itself being significantly more feature rich than it's original incarnation.

Traditional game releases for a franchise are often mutually exclusive of one another, like Halo or GTA. But each iteration introduces brand new gameplay elements, graphics, and physics that are intertwined with a story arc or new perspective. Racing games (not simulators) like Froza and Codemaster titles (Dirt/F1/Grid) fall into this category because they offer limited DLC and game evolution through updates, and both completely disappear after 4-6 months from the titles release as they put all resources to the new title.

And now there is the enigma of crowdfunding games; SMS is trailblazing the racing/simulator genre for this business model. But as far as I can tell, they've alienated their current user base because they feel cheated as resources for their investment (in fun) are moved to a new project. Potential customers, like me, are also dissuaded from supporting their efforts because I don't want to buy a game and it's DLC with the notion that it's already 'old' and will be replaced.

Instead of reaching back into the cookie jar of crowdfunding, they should introduce all the features they announced for PCARS2 as PCARS1 DLC instead and continuously develop PCARS as a franchise that can be compared to the likes of Gran Turismo...instead of the shit show it's clearly becoming.

News Comments > Hololens Minecraft Announced
18. Re: Hololens Minecraft Announced Jun 15, 2015, 16:04 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 15:32:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 14:26:
Impressive? This kind of tech is going to make physical board games obsolete. You could play Civilization on your coffee table! Highlight of the MS show, as far as I'm concerned.

How many board games do you play on your PC currently?

On board game night, does everyone need their own hololens? Or will you pass one around?

Isn't part of the fun of board games to see your friend's faces? How will you do that with Hololens stuck to your mug?

Having a beer is a big part of playing board games with other adults. Would you wear your hololens after a few brews?

Agreed.

There's no way a XB1 has enough power to simultaneously pump out pixels for multiple heads sets, so everyone would have to bring their own XB1. If the Hololens heatset is doing the pixel pushing, then pixelated Minecraft graphics will be the best it can do for some time.

Board games are increasing in popularity as more people (even gen y) wish to have fun and strategize with friends, but not at the pace of video games or with the technology.

News Comments > Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO Trailer
7. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jun 14, 2015, 00:15 theglaze

I've been eying the Steam sale, and tracking the update news for Dirt Rally. Just a couple days ago they announced the FFB update has been delayed (a lot of people have complained about the current state), and they're totally revamping the bug reporting process.

I'd probably pick it up for half off, but won't play it until a few more months down the road. That's what I did for Assetto Corsa.

News Comments > Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO Trailer
1. Re: Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO Trailer Jun 13, 2015, 16:34 theglaze

The cars and the road surfaces appear to be quite flat, an indication that the physics engine is lackluster at this point.  

News Comments > Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel
27. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 15:19 theglaze

|RaptoR| wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 13:53:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 13:22:
Was looking to buy Project Cars until I found out my wheel wasnt supported on the PS4. All because Logitech would not put the effort in to make it work with the new console. So they can take their G29 and shove it up their ass. I'm buying the competitions wheel, who worked with Sony so their old wheels worked on the PS4.

Curious -- who are you referring to?

Also, Project Cars doesn't use the system drivers for wheels. That's why you can use the Fanatec CSR on the PS4 -- Project Cars has a custom driver built into the game specifically for it. They may add support for the logitech legacy wheels at a later date.

Gran Turismo has worked in a similar way, allowing players to race with legacy wheels that have limited or no functionality with PS3 menus and OS.

News Comments > Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel
21. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 13:39 theglaze

lol yeah I remember POD!

There are lots of Sim titles on PC, but the few arcade or battle racing games out there do not support wheels.

A lot of people dislike a non-linear brake, but the metal bearings and spokes with dual motors will likely be a huge performance boost compared to G27.

Still, spending that kind of money doesn't make sense to me if the wheel base does not support detachable wheel rims. Fanatec and Thrustmaster are way ahead in that regard.

It will be interesting to see how well the first production batch performs. Thrustaster TX was a shit show, and Fanatec always has a queue.

198 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo