Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 113 (Novice)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > GRID Autosport Drag Pack Released
2. Re: GRID Autosport Drag Pack Released Oct 15, 2014, 00:09 theglaze

subx wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 21:33:
So I guess you press the go button, wait a bit, and then stop pressing it?

Also can't help noticing the lack of a dragster, in a drag racing game. Seems a bit odd.

Haha, yeah I guess thats about it. The trailer doesn't show any excess wheel spin or cars getting loose off the start, no parachutes being deployed by the funny cars, no engines blowing up or gearboxes shredding to pieces. What actual engine tuning is even in the game?

GT6 has a substantial drag community, and it also has deep tuning options, which is what drag racing is all about.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released
22. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released Oct 14, 2014, 18:22 theglaze

Fion wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 13:44:
Everyone gets their own loot in co-op.

oh shit, really?!

That's a total game changer for me. I hated the race towards loot drops, the greed just kills the co-op vibe. If the drops are actually unique for each player in co-op, then I'm on board for $60.

God damn loot gobblers, BE GONE!

News Comments > DICE: BF4 Launch "Absolutely" Damaged Player Trust
25. Re: DICE: BF4 Launch Oct 8, 2014, 15:00 theglaze

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 08:59:
I still think BF:BC2 is more fun that any of the new BFs

Verno wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 09:17:
BC2 had great Rush maps for sure, it was a blast.

Agreed, and the latest patch, Fall Update, shows an attempt to revitalize the rush mode. They lost their way in BF3 rush, so it's not surprising they have totally forgotten why BC2 rush was the games best mode.

patch notes wrote:
DICE <3 RUSH is an ongoing Battlefield 4 Community Test Initiative with the intent to improve Rush on base-game maps. This initial release includes new layouts and rule sets implemented on:

Flood Zone
Golmud Railway
Hainan Resort
Lancang Dam
Operation Locker
Paracel Storm
Rogue Transmission
Siege of Shanghai
Zavod 311

Improvements to Dawnbreaker and further tweaks to the above maps will be looked at.

Disabled Commander on the Rush game mode for all maps

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 12:36 theglaze

This reads like a short sighted opinion one might find in a teenage girls diary entry, and in a couple years the writer will look back at it and think "Wow, I was sooooo stupid back then!"  

News Comments > SimBin Declares Bankruptcy, Reforms as Sector 3
11. Re: SimBin Declares Bankruptcy, Reforms as Sector 3 Sep 11, 2014, 16:25 theglaze

I signed up for RaceRoom when it was available and was very much disappointed with the force feedback through the steering wheel. Toss in too little launching content and a hollow gaming experience and I never came back.

As far as I know, RaceRoom only really supports time trail competitions and has not yet embraced actual PVP racing with rankings.

Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Forza, Turismo all lose out to iRacing

iRacing has got the best side-by-side car racing out there, all thanks to a well thought out license system that I haven't seen ANY other racing game attempt to deploy in multiplayer. Basically every driver has two ratings, one for skill and one for safety.

When you sign up for a scheduled race, it will group you by skill first but use safety to balance. This lets drivers like me, who try to drive clean first and fast second, to be grouped in a race where I'm expected to finish last (according to skill ranking) but with the opportunity to gain massive points if others crash out.

Those that can't go 20 laps without hitting a car are grouped in the lower tiers where they can battle amongst themselves in risky style that the top racers have evolved beyond.

Anyways, I'd much rather pay $70 for a yearly subscription to iRacing and access to its developed community and structured races then spin my wheels with RaceRoom to unlock a faster car to win a time trial

News Comments > F1 2014 Trailer
4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 15:17 theglaze

InBlack wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 06:30:
Rigs wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 05:51:
I don't see anything out-right wrong with it. Reminds me of the old F1 Phoenix track, which was featured in Microprose's 1993 World Circuit.

The one thing that is still missing from the F1 sim series is the amount of jitter and vibration that is apparent when viewing from the cockpit or anywhere on the car, especially around the wheels. In-game it looks too mellow and smooth. You watch a real race and the driver is bouncing around in the seat along with his hands on the wheel, especially evident when he goes over corners...

=-Rigs-=

Actually the game gets it right. The excessive bounce and jitter we get as TV viewers is due to the camera being mounted on the chasis with a fixed mount. The driver seat (as well as his buttcheeks, spine and neck) absorb most of that, and his eyes and brain compensate for the rest. Ever ridden (or driven) in a car with a really low and hard suspension? It bounces like hell, and you do feel it but its not like your view jitters like you were high on meth or something....

The different TV camera views could have it, but the default cockpit view shouldnt make you feel you are driving the car by remote control.

It's a tricky thing to simulate, and there are numerous camera mods out for these F1 games, such as those found at RD.

Thrashing a F1 car around a track is quiet violent, and I agree that the Codies games don't capture that well. Even the sense of speed in the games is lacking, perhaps due to the exaggerated markers for breaking zones and turn in points.

News Comments > F1 2014 Trailer
1. Re: F1 2014 Trailer Sep 4, 2014, 16:31 theglaze

This track must have the most boring layout of all time.

What a joke.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 22:59 theglaze

PropheT wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 22:34:
The only things I've seen out of this whole scandal is that video game journalism isn't particularly trustworthy, which we already knew, Phil Fish is an absolute cock who I probably wouldn't even know about if it wasn't for his diarrhea-esque twitter account, and that the "SJW" members of the gaming press have finally hit the point where they can't even comment on one of the biggest stories around right now because they've spent so much of their time stirring the pot to create the environment that this spawned from.

The journalists look bad, the gamers look bad, and it all just seems like a bunch of dirty laundry being aired to give people something else to be angry about for a while with no solid facts and no possible positive outcome to ever be generated from it...over a game that next to no one actually gives two shits about and most people never heard of before the scandal.

Well said

News Comments > F1 2014 & 2015 Announced
4. Re: F1 2014 & 2015 Announced Jul 31, 2014, 10:45 theglaze

I don't want to hear "accessible"...the lack of complexity over 5 years of releases is the very thing holding this series back and wasting the F1 license

It's been half a decade, and all of the chassis and suspension adjustments still remain void of any mechanical lingo and still use a mysterious 1 to 11 scale while timing sheets are absent from all the modes you'd expect that detail to be there (ie time trial/attack)...which means to me the magic behind the curtain is underwhelming at best.

But hey, F1 2014 will have a "Very Easy" mode and still supports last-gen consoles...last-gen physics and features.

Count me out.

News Comments > Screencheat Embraces Screencheating
1. Re: Screencheat Embraces Screencheating Jul 25, 2014, 09:30 theglaze

brilliant!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2014, 12:01 theglaze

I was hoping for Germany to score early, forcing Argentina to be more reckless in its pursuit of offense. Instead, both teams played a tight defense and it took a spectacular goal to break a nil nil game. Not the most entertaining match of the finals, but certainly better than others.  

News Comments > DICE on Bad Company 3: "Wait and See"
31. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 20:23 theglaze

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 18:41:
3 words:

Carl muthafuckin Gustav.

and droppin bombs on snipers from have a mile out, fuckin loved it

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - GRID Autosport
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - GRID Autosport Jun 24, 2014, 20:20 theglaze

Has anyone found a review where an actual racing wheel peripheral was used? Codemasters is going the Need For Speed way and dropping wheel+pedal support in these games and I don't get it...  

News Comments > DICE on Bad Company 3: "Wait and See"
22. Re: DICE on Bad Company 3: Jun 24, 2014, 14:43 theglaze

Linksil wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 12:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 11:42:
Bad Company 2 had some really crappy and some really great maps, but all of them were sort of fun ;p

On BF4 I could say "fun" to maybe about 3 maps...

Well I played only Rush on BC2 and logged over 100 hours doing that. Things that made it fun:

Bug free (for the most part). Some people had problems, but well I didn't.
Maps had all the buildings destroyable. Added more options.
Maps had better flow. Yes some of them bottlenecked, but it was still fun to try and break.
In GAME server browser.
Weapons felt like they would kill people, then they did.
Single player was a rail with more freedom and enjoyable writing.
Steam instead of Origins. Not sure how much that matters.

I know I missed a few, but well that's the best my just woke up brain can handle.

I put damn near 1,000 hours into BC2, and clearly felt it to be one of the most enjoyable multiplayer FPS titles I've played. It's been a long time since I last played it, but as I remember it, in BF3 and BF4 they kept throwing more in to the game and expecting it to be better.

EA's thoughts: More fun = More guns, more unlocks, more vehicles, more hiding spots, more players, more map complexity...

There's a balance, and I agree with Troedsson, BC2 brewed together a perfect mix and it was great. Defining it is hard, but here are some of my thoughts:

- Rush was awesome. That was a function of the map design, which was smaller and with less routes to the M-COM stations. It mad maps a grind at times which certain choke points, but that's when effective team tactics came into play
- Gustav rocket launcher...it was awesome to jump into a game and explode buildings with a quick, direct fire explosives. Throw in tracer darts with whip rocket shots, and the fun level significantly increased.
- Hero runs. One person could change the momentum of a multilayer match by being the first sneak around enemy lines and arm an M-COM, or pull of a last second de-arm. BF3 and BF4 gameplay does not lend itself well to moments like that.
-Vehicles were selectively included for certain maps, compared the overabundance of death machines in later BFs.

News Comments > EA on "Unacceptable" BF4 Launch
27. Re: EA on Jun 20, 2014, 15:21 theglaze

Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 12:46:
See, in the mind of psychopaths this is how reality works. At the time DICE said, 'It's not close to ready yet.' He replies, 'I don't give a shit. Ship it now!' Several months later after the lawsuit and being raked over the coals he now recalls that it was actually unacceptable that they shipped it like that but they really had no choice. So now he paints himself as the victim in all of this. He tries to be noble by claiming responsibility for it, yet abdicates that responsibility withing the same breath...so it really wasn't his fault, now was it?

Rolleyes

They "had" to ship at console launch because the competition, CoD, would soak up all their sales.

This is no different than GM and the ignition issue, costs are weighed against profits and the business makes a decision based on the impact to its bottom line.

At least in EA's case, no one died because of the horrendous launch.

News Comments > EA on "Unacceptable" BF4 Launch
13. Re: EA on Jun 20, 2014, 10:37 theglaze

IDK, I played BF4 this week for the first time since January, gameplay seemed improved considering where it was. Driving the combat buggy on a conquest map, however, seemed more laggy than I ever remember and I had a "60ms" ping

Also, I did not swap laggy frags with any of the guys I killed in 2 hours of fragging. Even in BF3 that would happen a few times an hour.

News Comments > Xenonauts Released
6. Re: Xenonauts Released Jun 17, 2014, 13:12 theglaze

I never played the original series, but really enjoyed XCOM Enemy Unknown. Will check this out.  

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Workshop IP Issues
9. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Workshop IP Issues Jun 12, 2014, 15:41 theglaze

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 14:29:
theglaze wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:09:
The funny thing is the 'Contraband' rarity...these stolen skins are now being sold on the Marketplace for significantly more than before.

You misunderstand... They REMOVED the infringing design(s), and REPLACED them with alternate, original ones from Valve, which are not otherwise available. So the violators get the boot and nobody lost anything, in fact extra value was created for some people.

What did I misunderstand...the humor?

News Comments > Project CARS E3 Trailer
20. Re: Project CARS E3 Trailer Jun 12, 2014, 13:16 theglaze

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 12:49:
Hopefully the Ai gets ironed out a bit before release. I am hearing a lot of complaints about that, same goes for Asseto Corsa though.

What racing sim has decent AI?

I don't see the thrill in beating the AI in a race, it's like fragging gangs of AI in a single player FPS campaign. It can help a user understand and practice gameplay elements, but I'd prefer next-gen racing sims to embrace a more effective structure and system for managing multiplayer. Real drivers are far more crafty than any AI.

Does anyone know if pCars will put in a skill/safety rating like iRacing?

That's the best system I've seen seperate the newbs and cannonballs from running what would otherwise be competitive and respectful race.

News Comments > Project CARS E3 Trailer
16. Re: Project CARS E3 Trailer Jun 12, 2014, 11:24 theglaze

Optional nickname wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:04:
GT5, GT6, now THIS project cars, is the best gaming experience, immersion wise, with a Thrustmaster T500 (or Logitech or Fanatec)

Hell yeah, instead of just twiddling your thumbs with a game pad, a wheel/pedal setup involves all your extremities with a much deeper tactile feel for what's going on.

I game for that hit of adrenaline, and few games can offer the same feeling of a standing start and the sprint down to the first turn, or making a last lap move on another driver to beat him to the finish line.

Fun stuff

113 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo