Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 129 (Novice)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
1. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Nov 25, 2014, 23:15 theglaze

I need a new eye prescription after each Geometry Wars release  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Alienware's "PC Gaming Console"
35. Re: Alienware's Nov 22, 2014, 13:59 theglaze

You do not need quadcore procs for PC gaming, at least not yet:

Techspot
Far Cry 4 @ 1920x1200 with a GTX 980
i3 3220 2cores/4threads (3.3Ghz) = 76fps
i5 3470 4cores/4threads (3.2Ghz) = 80fps

What you do need is hyperthreading.

News Comments > Alienware's "PC Gaming Console"
8. Re: Alienware's Nov 21, 2014, 18:41 theglaze

Wait a second...

I think they all have the same "custom" 860M Maxwell GPU from NVIDIA, which would make sense because they need volume to keep costs down.

So that means the most influential component to gaming performance is not only the same across the whole lineup, but also built into the board and not upgradable. Ouch. So maybe the cheapest one is worth it?

But the cheapest Alpha is still $150 more expensive than a PS4, and PC game support for controllers is still woeful when compared to consoles. Plus the PC versions of multiplatform titles tend to be the most fucked up. And if you want to kb+m it in the living room, which logistically cannot be comfortable in most households, you'd have to buy your own wireless set anyways.

It's the best crack at a PC/console, but the proto Steam Machine from Valve was better,

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
18. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 18:43 theglaze

It's an Amazon mistake.

The arcade racing fan base on PC is too small to justify throwing away the Xboxsivity of Forza, even if there's no active competition on PC. The best release in years may be World of Speed, and that doesn't have a launch date. Sony can't even figure out Driveclub on their own consoles, so no PC release coming from them any year soon either.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds
21. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds Nov 15, 2014, 20:31 theglaze

I've given up on multi-platform titles. They're either stupid games created for the masses or ridiculously console-centric to the point that the PC release is a mess.  

News Comments > Blizzard Announces Overwatch
5. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 7, 2014, 15:35 theglaze

so Reaper looks op...  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Double XP & Free Week
5. Re: Battlefield 4 Double XP & Free Week Nov 7, 2014, 15:12 theglaze

I pretty much only launch BF4 on dbl-xp events...seems like the regulars buy all the DLC and its tough to find people still jamming the original maps. But with a free weekend there should be lots of people playing the standard map selection.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 6, 2014, 01:02 theglaze

I'm a long time plasma user too, always Panasonic. Handles motion significantly better than any LCD I've used. The one I have now is the cheapest of their pro line, so it lacks advanced image color adjustments, but that means there's less computing going on and as a result the input latency is so low I can actually mouse+kb any FPS on it.

OLED is the future, I get it, and I'll keep this ol'plasma until the new tech is PC gamer friendly.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
42. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 17:23 theglaze

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 17:04:
theglaze wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 16:58:
This is by no means a slam dunk, it's a half court alley-oop attempt by a team that has never converted one before.

Am I the only one who remembers sloppy controls and hit detection from every previous GTA game?

Stepping it up to the first person perspective looks great in a shiny, well-orchestrated trailer...but there is a massive amount of work that has to go into making FPS controls responsive, movement and momentum predictable and fluid, and aiming sharp.

Haters gonna hate......

Looks like you should pick up some Swiftamine and double down on the dose.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
40. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 16:58 theglaze

This is by no means a slam dunk, it's a half court alley-oop attempt by a team that has never converted one before.

Am I the only one who remembers sloppy controls and hit detection from every previous GTA game?

Stepping it up to the first person perspective looks great in a shiny, well-orchestrated trailer...but there is a massive amount of work that has to go into making FPS controls responsive, movement and momentum predictable and fluid, and aiming sharp.

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 29, 2014, 11:57 theglaze

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 09:23:
theglaze wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 22:33:
What I was getting at is mobile smart phones are becoming a necessity for modern day living in a 1st nation metropolis, if they aren't already.

...what? No, no they aren't. They're still nothing more than a convenience, there is absolutely nothing "necessary" about them. You can absolutely live your life in a "1st nation metropolis" without one. In fact, one might actually find that they're engaging more with the things that "1st nation metropolis" offers instead of constantly staring down at a phone screen like an idiot.

I accidentally dropped my aging S3, shattering the display to the point where it became unusable. The replacement phone I wanted was out of stock and would take two weeks to get in. Those turned out to be a very interesting, life altering two weeks. I found that I was less stressed and that I spent more time enjoying life in general. Everything that needed to get done was completed on-time, as usual, but I wasn't wasting time by immediately responding to emails that could wait until I got back in to the office and I wasn't distracted by texts or phone calls.

This weird mentality that we've been sold on where we always have to be connected because it's somehow "social" is, in my opinion, actually making people less socially capable in general. Unless you choose to actively make it so, no device is necessary to your life. Well, unless you're on dialysis, have a pacemaker or some other medical, life sustaining device.

I agree to a certain extent, but there are major advantages to being able to whip out a phone for GPS, mobile browser capabilities, instant communication with every contact on the phone, etc.

I've had a couple friends try and go completely without a phone, they carried an address book with numbers and day planners, but relying on land line voicemails and planning out access to computers throughout the day became tedious and frustrating.

Ultimately they both caved and went back to a mobile phone because it was nearly impossible to be single and chase after girls without being able to text.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 29, 2014, 03:13 theglaze

Quboid wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 23:47:
but simple things like glancing at the keyboard is awkward

For racing simulators, there were some mod ideas floating around in the community for digitally inserting a keyboard into the virtual car cockpit and placing it in the same location/angle as it is in your physical seating position. The idea being you can hit a button on the steering wheel and the digital keyboard will pop up on the hud, allowing you to natural reach out and type. There's some obvious shortcomings to all this, but it's a good starting point.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 28, 2014, 22:33 theglaze

Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 22:13:
VR - at least with a TV strapped to your face - is not the future. Wake me when we get to Snowcrash/Neuromancer.

I don't know how to wake up a dead man, but maybe that will be invented by then too

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 21:05:
I came here to post the same quote. 100M units sure sounds like a lot. I think he'll be lucky to sell 50M in 10 years. And I appreciate he's being pretty realistic about it. But let's face it, this is a niche product, not something everyone is going to own. Even the phone version with a 1440P or 4K resolution you need the viewer for VR. The phone fits in your pocket and goes everywhere with you. The viewer, not so much.

What I was getting at is mobile smart phones are becoming a necessity for modern day living in a 1st nation metropolis, if they aren't already. And at some point, they will be powerful enough to run something like a Rift. Unlike a Playstation, an extra expensive piece of hardware to push the pixels, more and more people will have one already in their pocket. iPhone sales alone are more than +100m units per year for the last 3 years.

So then it just comes down to the VR headset, and yes that will start out as a niche product like every other bit of technology before it. It will become more popular, increasingly cheaper, and every bit more accessible.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 28, 2014, 19:22 theglaze

It needs to reach a very large scale -- 50 to 100 million units -- before it will really be a very meaningful thing as a computing platform, so I do think it's going to take a bunch of years to get there. Maybe, I don't know -- it's hard to predict exactly -- but I don't think it's going to get to 50 or 100 million units in the next few years, right? That'll take a few cycles of the device to get there.

For perspective, it took the PS1 10 years to land 100 million units, and the PS2 was in full swing during the last 4 of those years and that console went on to sell 155 million units.

With mobile technology getting more powerful every generation, and the market growing just as quickly...I think 100m Rifts sold is totally obtainable.

Phones already have the gyroscopes needed to act as a virtual controller when wearing the headset, so throw in another bluetooth controller for the other hand and a belt mounted battery back and you'll see kids cooperatively slaying dragons in an augmented reality on the school's soccer pitch during lunch in what...6 years?

In the last three generations of highschool kids, it's gone from only a minority owning a simple phone with monochrome LCD screen to a majority with dual or quad core phones and +1080p screens

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - F1 2014
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - F1 2014 Oct 22, 2014, 16:51 theglaze

Rigs wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 13:21:
Ah, I'm not really sad to see it go, I wasn't a fan of all that bullshit anyway. Just give me an engine, four wheels, some brakes, a couple wings and a steering wheel with gear shifter and away I go! Race That DRS and KERS was for nerds... ;P

Did you try the classic F1 cars from F1 2013 DLC? Those cars sound gnarly and drive great when tossed around a flowing track.

As for DRS and KERS, each adds another layer of complexity to modern day cars that are otherwise glued to the track and lack the drama found in the beasts from previous era's.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - F1 2014
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - F1 2014 Oct 21, 2014, 19:46 theglaze

My impressions:

-The force feedback is different for my wheel, hard to say if its improved or not at this point.
-The additional torque is noticeable through the throttle, making the cars more sensitive to excess wheel spin and oversteer.
-I haven't heard a car I liked; all engines sound awful.
-You no longer have access to change gear length in the car setup; the transmission tab is completely removed.
-There appears to be no way to adjust anything ERS related, such as harvesting or deployment rates (no more KERS button).
-Game performance is still smooth with no issues.

I miss the F1 2012 days where DRS and KERS could be used at any point of a hot lap, and now there's just DRS available in the designated parts of the track.

News Comments > GRID Autosport Drag Pack Released
2. Re: GRID Autosport Drag Pack Released Oct 15, 2014, 00:09 theglaze

subx wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 21:33:
So I guess you press the go button, wait a bit, and then stop pressing it?

Also can't help noticing the lack of a dragster, in a drag racing game. Seems a bit odd.

Haha, yeah I guess thats about it. The trailer doesn't show any excess wheel spin or cars getting loose off the start, no parachutes being deployed by the funny cars, no engines blowing up or gearboxes shredding to pieces. What actual engine tuning is even in the game?

GT6 has a substantial drag community, and it also has deep tuning options, which is what drag racing is all about.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released
22. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released Oct 14, 2014, 18:22 theglaze

Fion wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 13:44:
Everyone gets their own loot in co-op.

oh shit, really?!

That's a total game changer for me. I hated the race towards loot drops, the greed just kills the co-op vibe. If the drops are actually unique for each player in co-op, then I'm on board for $60.

God damn loot gobblers, BE GONE!

News Comments > DICE: BF4 Launch "Absolutely" Damaged Player Trust
25. Re: DICE: BF4 Launch Oct 8, 2014, 15:00 theglaze

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 08:59:
I still think BF:BC2 is more fun that any of the new BFs

Verno wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 09:17:
BC2 had great Rush maps for sure, it was a blast.

Agreed, and the latest patch, Fall Update, shows an attempt to revitalize the rush mode. They lost their way in BF3 rush, so it's not surprising they have totally forgotten why BC2 rush was the games best mode.

patch notes wrote:
DICE <3 RUSH is an ongoing Battlefield 4 Community Test Initiative with the intent to improve Rush on base-game maps. This initial release includes new layouts and rule sets implemented on:

Flood Zone
Golmud Railway
Hainan Resort
Lancang Dam
Operation Locker
Paracel Storm
Rogue Transmission
Siege of Shanghai
Zavod 311

Improvements to Dawnbreaker and further tweaks to the above maps will be looked at.

Disabled Commander on the Rush game mode for all maps

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 12:36 theglaze

This reads like a short sighted opinion one might find in a teenage girls diary entry, and in a couple years the writer will look back at it and think "Wow, I was sooooo stupid back then!"  

129 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo