Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 177 (Novice)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 24, 2015, 14:45 theglaze

Now would be a good time to go after Intel with another antitrust lawsuit  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > F1 2015 Delayed
5. Re: F1 2015 Delayed May 23, 2015, 02:13 theglaze

Orogogus wrote on May 22, 2015, 19:23:
theglaze wrote on May 22, 2015, 19:03:
July 24th is just before the Budapest GP and the subsequent 4 week break. Releasing the game before the summer break seems like a naturally thing to do, but this is the first time they've done it. I never understood a September/October release which all the previous games had...

Haha, from Tim Schafer's Grim Fandango Developer Diary, on how to pitch your product to the publisher:

WHEN – the answer to this question is always, “We expect code release to be in August, with the product hitting the stores in September, making this a perfect Christmas product.” Do not paraphrase this sentence. Just cut and paste it right in, word for word, and move on.

Link

Great read! Thanks for that.

But don't be mistaken: F1 is not art. It's a money making machine...and yet only for a select few and they aren't worried about being crushed or burning excess bills! The last rumors I heard had the license cost about $20m per game release, but Codies has turned it into their number 1 revenue generator.

All 5 previous released games landed within the same 4 weeks in the year, between Sept 20th and Oct 22nd. That kind of consistency is very much controlled by management, in which case, I still think releasing the game just before the summer break to tie over the F1 fanatics for 4 weeks is the way to do it.

New EGO engine and this release date should make F1 2015 the best selling F1 game of all time.

News Comments > F1 2015 Delayed
1. Re: F1 2015 Delayed May 22, 2015, 19:03 theglaze

July 24th is just before the Budapest GP and the subsequent 4 week break. Releasing the game before the summer break seems like a naturally thing to do, but this is the first time they've done it. I never understood a September/October release which all the previous games had...  

News Comments > AMD Project CARS & Witcher 3 Beta Drivers Coming
5. Re: AMD Project CARS & Witcher 3 Beta Drivers Coming May 22, 2015, 02:14 theglaze

NetHead wrote on May 21, 2015, 20:18:
theglaze wrote on May 21, 2015, 15:48:
It makes sense to attack your competitor where it is weakest.

I gave up on ATI years ago because of lackluster driver development...back when I had to download 3rd party Omega drivers because ATI took to damn long to release their own. It got to the point where ATI stole the Omega name and added it to their marketing because of the recognition it got.

I don't think it was a good choice to use the Omega name, though some of the things you say seem very odd.

You say it got to the point where ATI stole the name, but when's the last time Omega Drivers actually released something, checking their site now it seems he stopped in 2011, so 4 years ago.

So saying or implying that ATI (AMD) is stealing the name because it's more reputable or more recognisable or more often updated makes absolutely no sense.

I don't remember the last time Omega drivers was actually a thing. I remember it used to be great (I was on Nvidia at the time), it gave more control via more options and maybe even bundled some things but that was all it really did.

It was basically a settings tweaking program but for drivers, it still used the official drivers. It wasn't his own version, it wasn't a different driver from what ATI or Nvidia released. To be clear here, he didn't actually make or change the drivers themselves, he "tweaked" settings and made changing those settings easier/more accessible to the average joe.

I also remember ATI being okay with the whole Omega thing, while Nvidia on the other hand pissed me off by fighting with him until he stopped releasing their drivers meaning I could no longer use them if I wanted updated drivers.

Actually considering now, that Omega drivers have basically been dead for 4 years with absolutely no sign of ever coming back, and that ATI used to work with them rather than against like Nvidia, it might be a kind of homage, if they remembered the old Omega Drivers when choosing that name.

Yeah that's about right; the last ATI setup I ran was CrossFire 4870X2 back around that time. After that, the scaling of NVIDIA SLI, driver optimizations, low latency frame delivery, and motherboard selection surpassed ATI which had me switch and never look back.

That said, I'm not a fan boy. Heck, we all need AMD around so NVIDIA can't just run away with the market.

NVIDIA just follows the same motto of the Patriots: if you ain't cheatin, you ain't trying.

Now go make some spectacular hair, AMD.

News Comments > AMD Project CARS & Witcher 3 Beta Drivers Coming
1. Re: AMD Project CARS & Witcher 3 Beta Drivers Coming May 21, 2015, 15:48 theglaze

It makes sense to attack your competitor where it is weakest.

I gave up on ATI years ago because of lackluster driver development...back when I had to download 3rd party Omega drivers because ATI took to damn long to release their own. It got to the point where ATI stole the Omega name and added it to their marketing because of the recognition it got.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. May 20, 2015, 20:52 theglaze

The actual publishing is here, and they are specifically comparing non-gamers to "action" video game players, meaning first or third person shooters. The SCI GOGO article did not make this distinction in its title or content.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Rising Tide Announced
5. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Rising Tide Announced May 18, 2015, 12:51 theglaze

Endless Legend is far more interesting than BE; I'd recommend that before people throw even more money on the disappointment of BE.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Specs
22. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 15, 2015, 22:35 theglaze

What's the difference in eye strain between Rift and 3D movies?

By the second half of Age of Ultron, my eyes are too tired to really get the effect of another simension. And I have a mild headache.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews May 13, 2015, 20:42 theglaze

InBlack wrote on May 13, 2015, 09:30:
Wow scathing review of Project Cars by the guy at Atomic Sim Racing. I don't agree, in fact he is completely off base, and it sounds like he probably played the game with some kind of traction control engaged and without having properly set up his wheel. He even complains about the wheel settings being 'too complicated and involved' and berates the sim for having 'too many options'. I have the game installed at home, a friend of mine loant me his Logitech Momo FF wheel, which is still going strong. The game is hard as fuck, and the physics are the best I have YET seen.

The guy talks about how the open wheeled cars are simpler to drive than road cars and then complains how that is unrealistic.

/facepalm

He also never fails to mention Asetto Corsa in every paragraph at least once, and unfavorably compares PC to it. AC is a nice game, but its a game compared to this SIM. Be warned. It's a shame that a lot of times people who play and review sims have little to no experience in REAL RACECARS or even road cars, their arrogance comes accros as pure stupidity in cases like this. *sigh*

Whoa. Easy now.

We're all entitled to opinions, and in my opinion, that guys take on pCARS is one of the most thorough reviews I've read and it's from an experienced PC sim racer. I'm surprised you even call it a "scathing review"; he presents more positives than negatives and concludes with a favorable opinion of the title.

Compare that to the GameSpot PC review created by a guy who put just 15 hours into the game and claims only to have played console racers.

Leper wrote on May 13, 2015, 11:03:
There should be better delineation between sims and games. Like, games sites shouldn't be reviewing sims in general. But maybe the people that go to games sites look at sims as games and want a review with that mindset? Different reviews for different folks, I guess.

Exactly. GameSpot offers generic reviews that follow a recipe with an arbitrary number slapped on it so Joe-who-doesn't-play-this-genre can digest it.

News Comments > Oculus Rift in Q1 2016
26. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 12:04 theglaze

People are right to think that 1st gen hardware will have shortcomings and problems, but compared to the first gen smart watches, a VR headset from Oculus offers significantly more bang-for-buck in function and entertainment.

VR enabled content will persuade the non-believers and the masses that don't understand the potential of devices like Oculus Rift. YouTube already offers 360 content (if your phone/tablet supports it):

360 F1
360 Wingsuit

This is just the beginning...

News Comments > Project CARS Launch Trailer
11. Re: Project CARS Launch Trailer May 5, 2015, 18:18 theglaze

SpectralMeat wrote on May 5, 2015, 08:12:
You will need a pretty beefy rig to run this game at a steady 60fps at 1080p
According to this
Guess all the extra delays went into polishing the console versions.

I wouldn't trust the source of those numbers, or the idea of benchmarking a game before it's publicly released with drivers from last month.

News Comments > DiRT Rally Early Access
3. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Apr 27, 2015, 20:40 theglaze

Trevellian wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:15:
I'm a huge rally fan. Was so happy to see this on Steam today. I've already put 3 hours into it.

Basically, if you enjoy rally racing but you were turned off by the Bro'ified Xgames stuff in Dirt 2, or the Gymkhana garbage in Dirt 3. Then you will love this game.

This goes back to full on simulation style like Colin McRae Rally was intended to be before the first Dirt was released.

No Gymkhana
No Rallycross
No Rewind

Just segmented long stage rally's like a rally game should be. Nice clean interface and UI as well.

This was a great surprise for something that came out of nowhere.

How long are the rally stages?

I believe the stages have shortened with each DiRT release; the original game had the longest stages.

News Comments > DiRT Rally Early Access
1. Re: DiRT Rally Early Access Apr 27, 2015, 19:54 theglaze

Interesting...I'm going to wait and see how the next F1 game turns out this summer before I drop cash on an Early Access game.

I think this is the first time Codies has gone for EA release, and I wonder how well they will take community input. Their official forms always had a spot for the 'next f1 game' where people could make wishes, but with sim drivers buying into early access, I imagine they are expecting at least a Project CARS basic level of interaction.

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
17. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 14:45 theglaze

I bought GTAV so I could fool around with mods as they came out, but now I have to pay for those? Fuck off.  

News Comments > Project CARS Specs & 12K Support
22. Re: Project CARS Specs & 12K Support Apr 15, 2015, 16:39 theglaze

nin wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 15:32:
theglaze wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 14:13:
Proceeded by "wow this looks great....but the car handling sucks!"

What makes you say that?

I haven't read or seen enough to convince me otherwise. The last article I read about the handling stated this:

PCPowerPlay wrote on March 31st:
An area that isn’t so impressive is the car handling. Currently the game has very confusing wheel setup options, especially in regards to force feedback tuning....We found that the initial settings were very lacklustre, with the wheel exhibiting very little feedback when snapping back from oversteer, hitting curbs and rumble strips, and basically delivering very little information we could actually use.

He goes on to say that the feedback is getting better with each build, and that the community shares setups that significantly improve the handling. Still, a simultaneous multi-platform release is ambitious for a new team and new game engine. It's impressive that they've accomplished so much visually but it's clear to me they sacrificed wheel feedback in the process.

It'll take time to work out the kinks in feedback and wheel support, 3-6 months after release is my guess.

News Comments > Project CARS Specs & 12K Support
15. Re: Project CARS Specs & 12K Support Apr 15, 2015, 14:13 theglaze

Proceeded by "wow this looks great....but the car handling sucks!"  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 6, 2015, 15:29 theglaze

crypto wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 15:24:
"Intel Core i3 vs. Core i5 vs. Core i7- A Value and Performance Analysis."

Nice article, thanks I needed that

A more interesting article would be one that compares Intel proc's at handling dual images for virtual reality. Valve's Re vive is only 7 months away!

News Comments > The Talos Principle Serious DLC for Free
9. Re: The Talos Principle Serious DLC for Free Apr 5, 2015, 12:17 theglaze

This has been on my wish list for a while, so I bought it yesterday.

Should I play it using the default voice, or Serious Sam? The default is becoming annoying already by level 3...

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Apr 1, 2015, 19:09 theglaze

Someone needs to take Interstellar, remove all the overacted and annoying dramatic bits, and sync up the the awesome space scenes to music for a trip. Just saying.  

News Comments > Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved Released
1. Re: Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved Released Mar 31, 2015, 13:54 theglaze

Smart move; I haven't touched the game since the first few weeks when I grinded it.  

177 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo