Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 139 (Novice)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2015, 14:42 theglaze

Verno wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 13:53:
Re: car noise in general, I've driven a Tesla and love how quiet it is. The almost instant on acceleration takes a little getting used to as well. When the "consumer" line arrives in 2016 I'll be quite interested.

Put me down in the MX5 realm of cars: lightweight, short wheelbase, manual transmission, crazy grip with sticky tyres, and a small but competent engine that reminds you on every shift that you're in a driver's sports car.

No engine sound emulation required, and you can leave the batteries at home.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Free Weekend
1. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Free Weekend Jan 15, 2015, 21:12 theglaze

Bought the game when it popped up for presale...perhaps the last time I do that. It feels generic, I jus don't feel compelled to keep playing it. I ended up picking Endless Legend on steam sale and plan to play that instead, offers far more compelling races and gameplay dynamics.  

News Comments > Codemasters Layoffs Coming
3. Re: Codemasters Layoffs Coming Jan 9, 2015, 17:51 theglaze

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 09:59:
No big surprise there. They haven't produced anything too good in recent years.
Autosport was fun for a bit but the F1 games they release are just copies of previous years. Still uses the Grid 1 game engine.
Anyways best of luck to them, hope those that got let go find a job quickly.

Each F1 release has been an evolution of the EGO engine, until most recently with F1 2014 using 3.0 as 2013 did. That game caught a lot of slack from both the community and reviewers because it basically looked like a reskin of F1 2013, and with less content. While visually there are similarities, the driving mechanics are considerably more fun than any other entry into the series.

That said, they are catching up with the F1 calender and releasing 2015 at the start of the year, including PC. I'm curious to see if they can retain the traction models that made F1 2014 so much fun to drive.

I'm not sure if they are classifying GRID Autosport as a success or failure, but I did not buy into that series or GRID 2. They lost me at a video showing the new Endurance race mode, featuring races that are loooooong....as in 3 or 5 laps. Riiight, that's a fair representation of the grueling 3, 6, 12, or 24 hour endurance race events that they are emulating.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Evolve
15. Re: Gone Gold - Evolve Jan 8, 2015, 18:58 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 18:14:
Redmask wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 18:04:

I wish them luck but they would have been better off making L4D3.

Loved both L4Ds, but you don't feel the game was pretty much played out? What does it need? New maps & weapons? Better graphics?

Also, a L4D3 from today's Value would have a whole crafting world to it with insane customization. I could imagine a big community driven content side to it as well.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Evolve
13. Re: Gone Gold - Evolve Jan 8, 2015, 18:55 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 18:14:
Redmask wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 18:04:

I wish them luck but they would have been better off making L4D3.

Loved both L4Ds, but you don't feel the game was pretty much played out? What does it need? New maps & weapons? Better graphics?

I played the hell out of L4D, especially versus. I thought L4D2 improved the game in almost every way, but it wasn't enough to encourage me to put in the hours. I think it did get played out, and a L4D3 on PC probably wouldn't be a buy unless I cave to peer pressure.

That said, a release of L4D neeeeeeds to go to XB1 and PS4...I think it plays great as a console game but the 360 release ran at sub 20 FPS. 1080P and a solid FPS on the new consoles will sell a lot of copies.

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
20. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 14:21 theglaze

Pigeon wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 13:25:
ALC 1150 is easily found on MB's that are around $100, or lower w/rebates. I have no doubt a good dedicated card can offer a better audio experience, but you're going to need better headphones/speakers and music that actually benefits from better hardware; streamed pop music isn't going to improve cause it's coming from a $500 dedicated sound card. The gap between dedicated and on-board has narrowed tremendously in the last 10 years.

After some googling it seems that the ALC1150 is the first Realtek product that encourages manufacturers to use higher quality amps on the board, and it's that boosted signal which gives this generation noticeably different and usually better sound than previous generations, enough to rival entry dedicated audio cards. I believe ALC1150 was originally launched on high-end Z87 boards.

My board has Realtek ALC898 (Z77), which is still found on mainstream Z97 mboards, and it is inferior to an Asus Xonar dedicated card. Justifying the cost of the upgrade is totally dependent on all the other variables, including the ear of the listener.

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
8. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 12:41 theglaze

Pigeon wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 09:47:
I almost forget creative is still around. I remember when adding a sound card made made a huge difference. Now, unless it's implemented poorly, on-board audio is more than most people need.

I disagree, sound always seems to be the most overlooked element to system building.

If you have +$50 headphones, or frequently use voip, onboard audio IS limiting the quality of the experience

Just like any other component in a system, there should be balance and each component compliment the other. Most people buy mediocre motherboards (~$100) that will generate mediocre sound from mid-range Realtek onboard processing. Maybe the high-end boards with Creative Core, Asus SupremeFX or Realtek ALC1050 sound just as good as a decent dedicated card, but those are only found on +$300 mobos.

Perhaps my advice is falling on deaf ears because most people think Beats are high-end headphones....

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Assetto Corsa
10. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Assetto Corsa Dec 21, 2014, 12:29 theglaze

The resolution always looks a little off with my AC, there are more jagged edges than I care to look at whether its the shadows on the track, the walls alongside it, or the car itself. Changing the video settings appears to have little effect on the image quality.

I definitely noticed the difference in tire models between iRacing and AC, but found the chassis physics to be more predictable within iRacing. Now that AC 1.0 is out, I look forward to challenging some lap times and see how things stack up with this build.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 30, 2014, 20:18 theglaze

No boosting would remove one of the key elements to structured team gameplay, a traditional strategy within all iterations of CS.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 30, 2014, 16:50 theglaze

People always look for the advantage, it's the nature of being competitive. If any advantage resides in a perceived grey area, even those rule abiding may be tempted.

I consider competitive gaming to be similar to Formula 1: rules attempt to control the level of creativity a team will exploit to gain an advantage, but those that discover the most/best advantages are often crowned victors.

Looking at the video, yes, the boost spot does provide a visual advantage but he's also a sitting duck to anyone with a rifle, especially at that high of a skill level. LDLC went on to win Overpass in OT via NiP without using the exploit anyways.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
1. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Nov 25, 2014, 23:15 theglaze

I need a new eye prescription after each Geometry Wars release  

News Comments > Alienware's "PC Gaming Console"
35. Re: Alienware's Nov 22, 2014, 13:59 theglaze

You do not need quadcore procs for PC gaming, at least not yet:

Techspot
Far Cry 4 @ 1920x1200 with a GTX 980
i3 3220 2cores/4threads (3.3Ghz) = 76fps
i5 3470 4cores/4threads (3.2Ghz) = 80fps

What you do need is hyperthreading.

News Comments > Alienware's "PC Gaming Console"
8. Re: Alienware's Nov 21, 2014, 18:41 theglaze

Wait a second...

I think they all have the same "custom" 860M Maxwell GPU from NVIDIA, which would make sense because they need volume to keep costs down.

So that means the most influential component to gaming performance is not only the same across the whole lineup, but also built into the board and not upgradable. Ouch. So maybe the cheapest one is worth it?

But the cheapest Alpha is still $150 more expensive than a PS4, and PC game support for controllers is still woeful when compared to consoles. Plus the PC versions of multiplatform titles tend to be the most fucked up. And if you want to kb+m it in the living room, which logistically cannot be comfortable in most households, you'd have to buy your own wireless set anyways.

It's the best crack at a PC/console, but the proto Steam Machine from Valve was better,

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
18. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 18:43 theglaze

It's an Amazon mistake.

The arcade racing fan base on PC is too small to justify throwing away the Xboxsivity of Forza, even if there's no active competition on PC. The best release in years may be World of Speed, and that doesn't have a launch date. Sony can't even figure out Driveclub on their own consoles, so no PC release coming from them any year soon either.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds
21. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds Nov 15, 2014, 20:31 theglaze

I've given up on multi-platform titles. They're either stupid games created for the masses or ridiculously console-centric to the point that the PC release is a mess.  

News Comments > Blizzard Announces Overwatch
5. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 7, 2014, 15:35 theglaze

so Reaper looks op...  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Double XP & Free Week
5. Re: Battlefield 4 Double XP & Free Week Nov 7, 2014, 15:12 theglaze

I pretty much only launch BF4 on dbl-xp events...seems like the regulars buy all the DLC and its tough to find people still jamming the original maps. But with a free weekend there should be lots of people playing the standard map selection.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 6, 2014, 01:02 theglaze

I'm a long time plasma user too, always Panasonic. Handles motion significantly better than any LCD I've used. The one I have now is the cheapest of their pro line, so it lacks advanced image color adjustments, but that means there's less computing going on and as a result the input latency is so low I can actually mouse+kb any FPS on it.

OLED is the future, I get it, and I'll keep this ol'plasma until the new tech is PC gamer friendly.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
42. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 17:23 theglaze

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 17:04:
theglaze wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 16:58:
This is by no means a slam dunk, it's a half court alley-oop attempt by a team that has never converted one before.

Am I the only one who remembers sloppy controls and hit detection from every previous GTA game?

Stepping it up to the first person perspective looks great in a shiny, well-orchestrated trailer...but there is a massive amount of work that has to go into making FPS controls responsive, movement and momentum predictable and fluid, and aiming sharp.

Haters gonna hate......

Looks like you should pick up some Swiftamine and double down on the dose.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
40. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 16:58 theglaze

This is by no means a slam dunk, it's a half court alley-oop attempt by a team that has never converted one before.

Am I the only one who remembers sloppy controls and hit detection from every previous GTA game?

Stepping it up to the first person perspective looks great in a shiny, well-orchestrated trailer...but there is a massive amount of work that has to go into making FPS controls responsive, movement and momentum predictable and fluid, and aiming sharp.

139 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo