Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Krodge

Real Name Krodge   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 31, 2011, 01:16
Total Comments 24 (Suspect)
User ID 57199

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > AU Game Price Inflation
14. Re: AU Game Price Inflation Sep 14, 2014, 01:59 Krodge

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 11:28:
The argument is that AU's high wages result in the high cost of goods (the minimum wage is $17).

Here in NZ the minimum wage is $14NZD (thats $12AUD or 11USD) $11NZD if you're under 16, thats $9USD ($7USD is the minimum for ADULTS in the US?!)

So if the inflated cost is due to the minimum wage you would expect software to be a quite a bit cheaper here in NZ than is Aus.

Nope!, Its at least the same price but often even higher. Often new releases cost around $120 in stores.

Clearly it has nothing to do with the minimum wage. They just do it because they can.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gone Gold - Alien: Isolation
21. Re: Gone Gold - Alien: Isolation Sep 10, 2014, 03:18 Krodge

After so many years its hard to really believe any of the promises marketing departments make.

Maybe it'll actually work the way they say and I hope it does, But I won't be surprised if the whole thing ended up feeling very scripted and "gamey".

Remember when Creative Assembly's marketing department was in awe of the the AI they had created for Rome 2?

News Comments > Next Total War Reveal This Month
14. Re: Next Total War Reveal This Month Sep 10, 2014, 03:08 Krodge

Do China!  

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
35. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 21, 2014, 07:38 Krodge

Only 50k?
12 employees, lets say they get paid 1000 a week that funds them for about a month. Oh but we have to include office rent, power, software licenses.
If they're relying on this 50k then the game has to be finished in about 2 weeks or its not going to be finished at all.

Then again maybe Putin can secretly funnel them some more money.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2014, 22:49 Krodge

In the next IHOP movie they should show Superman picking up that boys statue and throwing it through a 7-11. Then he chases the sculptor into a nearby Sears, slaps the Nokia Lumia cell phone from his hand as he tries to call 911, A camera shot of course showing how the Nokia Lumia easily withstands impacting the pavement, leaving not so much as a scratch on the screen. Superman then corners the artist, enraged he screams at him for infringing on DC's copyright.
Then he breaks his neck.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 $130 Kyrat Edition Detailed; New Trailer
17. Re: Far Cry 4 $130 Kyrat Edition Detailed; New Trailer Jul 5, 2014, 09:26 Krodge

$130, Thats $150 here in NZ, plus the extra $60 or so they always tack on as punishment for being in the wrong hemisphere.
I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up costing over $200, but that wont be the first time.

I think I'll wait for the steam sale and get it for $30.

News Comments > Morning Kickstarter Roundup
10. Re: Morning Kickstarter Roundup Apr 23, 2014, 12:48 Krodge

Wow, some royalty free stock cat model sitting in the scene view of what is probably the free version of unity. And some pre renders from some stock turbo squid assets.
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/maya-cat-mackerel-tabby-fur/652952

What a scam. This is probably a couple of 13 year olds with no clue how to actually make a game.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2014, 12:54.

News Comments > Unity 5 Announced
11. Re: Unity 5 Announced Mar 18, 2014, 22:18 Krodge

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 20:48:
I imagine it's mainly that they're "sticking it to the man" and offering a product that is not only free for garage coders (Obsidian, et al. are required to purchase the pro version because they make more than $100k a year at being devs), but robust enough to make the enormous commercial engines start shaking in their boots. Or at least get off their asses and provide similar features, such as omni-platform support and web browser delivery (aka 80% of the bullet points Epic has been touting for Unreal the past few years).

I work with Unity every day, The company I work for makes far less then $100k profit a year but we still had to shell out for several pro licences due to the amount of features locked out if you use the free version.

I like unity, Its getting a lot better.
Initially it was very artist unfriendly But 3rd party tools on the asset store are slowly resolving that.
I still prefer UDK, But unity is gradually catching up.

News Comments > Memorial Consolidation
39. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 17:53 Krodge

You dont need games when you have lots and lots of transistors.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Revival Details
21. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Details May 21, 2013, 08:27 Krodge

It seems hypocritical to me that some of the same people who cried bigotry the other day when someone called the Christ Centered Gaming guy a "religious nut" are the same people crying about "political correctness" today because a sequel to a game may or may not be planning on making fun of the nuclear holocaust in Hiroshima or of Chinese slave laborers.

I loved the original Shadow Warrior, & most of the racism was so soft & innocent it was as if it was came straight from the mind of a little kid attempting to show his ignorant & misguided admiration of Asian culture.
But jokes like the Hiroshima one and the suicide bombing Coolies I thought were more stupid than funny or offensive & I dont see how the game would have suffered had they been dropped.
I would leave the decision up to the developers of course and I certainly dont want to see it censored, but how would we feel if Lo Wang said "HAHAHA, Just like Auschwitz!" While some of the enemies were refereed to as "Niggers"

Much more concerning to me is if this game is going to end up a 5 hour long series of linear hallways like Hard Reset.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
100. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 17:37 Krodge

I guess you can make a reasonable judgement on the quality of a game based on pre-release trailers, interviews and screenshots after all.  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced
45. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 18:53 Krodge

This game way overpriced where I am. Its $99 USD and then another $40 USD for the seasons pass.
Maybe I'll get it when they release a GOTY at a bargain bin price. But I still have 50 other games I still need to play, so probably not.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Launches
51. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 5, 2012, 09:51 Krodge

durandal wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 22:34:
I don't really see the point of this.

Well its great for me, Great timing too.
I just put together a PC out of a bunch of old parts so my wife could play all the steam 'console' type games she loves (like Darksiders) on the tv. Now its way easier for her, and she can also use it to browse the internet, All with a controller.

I dont have to waste money on a 3rd replacement xbox. And steam games are a shitload cheaper than store bought console games, especially when they're on sale.
Seriously. $4 for darksiders on steam, $65 for xbox. $3 for LA Noire, $98 for xbox *NZ btw.
I'm sure I could find them cheaper if I ordered them online somewhere, But this is cheap and almost instantaneous.

Yea I think I like my new pc-console.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2012, 19:52 Krodge

I would have thought a "Browns" fan would be dunking his head in something other than urine  

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews
57. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 01:45 Krodge

Aww, still 2 more days 18 more hours until it unlocks here  

News Comments > Nexus 2 Kickstarter
37. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 18:39 Krodge

I remember Nexus was originally supposed to be the 3rd game in the Imperium Galactica series before becoming a combat only game.

I kinda hated it at first, I couldnt figure out how the hell to play it. So I left it alone for a few years.

But when I eventually went back to it and got the hang of it I had a lot of fun.
Micromanaging a massive space battle between several captial ships, diverting power to different systems, customizing them for unique combat roles, scrambling fighters and sending out space marines to board disabled ships. Trying to take out incoming nukes.
It was pretty awesome.
It just needs a better interface, a tutorial, and a better plot.
I hope they get funding.

News Comments > Carmageddon Max Pack on GOG.com
9. Re: Carmageddon Max Pack on GOG.com Sep 27, 2012, 21:21 Krodge

Whats up with the odd description on their page?
"A game about mowing down innocent race cars and getting points for it"

You almost wouldn't know it was a game about driving over people if you went by their description and screenshots.

Anyway, I cant wait until they re-release 2

News Comments > Project Eternity Using Unity
23. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 23, 2012, 08:34 Krodge

Unity is fine. Its still missing a couple of tools that would be helpful to artists. But there are 3rd party plugins while we wait.

I'd say the tools are about as easy to work with as UDK or Cryengine.
And graphically its fine, Not as good as cryengine, probably as good as UDK, And its about a billion times better looking than the antique gamebryo engine they used for New Vegas. That game doesn't even seem to have any sort of shadowing/lightmaps.

Dont worry, If this game sucks its not going to be because they used a popular well respected engine.

News Comments > Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit
157. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 9, 2012, 00:55 Krodge

So she refused to submit to someone sexually harassing her at work and humiliating her in front of her coworkers and that makes her a 'pussy'?

She stood up for herself, asked him to stop, he refused. And now she's going to make sure he's punished for it.
Pussy my ass.

I suppose if Stanly Manly were in a similar situation, With a gay male boss, he would do the 'manly' thing and be more submissive towards him, Thank him for the privilege of being allowed to work under him, answer all his intrusive questions, Allow himself to be mocked and teased by an all male gay staff?
But to take a stand?...no no no. Why that would make him a pussy!

News Comments > Updated Max Payne 3 PC Specs & Release Date
21. Re: Updated Max Payne 3 PC Specs & Release Date May 26, 2012, 02:32 Krodge

KTR wrote on May 25, 2012, 23:56:
1024x1024 = 1048576 pixels
4096x4096 = 16777216 pixels
16777216/1048576 = 16 times larger.
Console's texture size is 1280x720 (720P) = 921600 pixels
Typical 27" high resolution LCD monitor is 2560x1440 = 3686400
3686400/921600 = 4 times larger.
Therefore, R* is well within recommended specs.

Yes a 4096x4096 texture is 16x larger than a 1024. But the game isn't running a single texture. There will be dozens of textures that need to be loaded. You also have to take into account that most of the diffuse maps are also accompanied by separate normal maps, specular maps, gloss maps And any other special textures the shader maybe be using.
It all adds up very fast. Unless the levels are very small using a limited amount of textures, or you have a ton of ram, its going to chug.

KTR wrote on May 26, 2012, 00:35:
Why I said "Console's texture size is 1280x720 (720P)" is knowing that texture size is going to scale proportionally to rendering resolution,...

No, that's the resolution the scene renders at. And the resolution of textures is the actually called the texel resolution, They are independent of one another.
Imagine printing out an image with a 512x512 array of pixels on it (those would be the texels) and then you take a 1280x720 photo of that paper with your camera, That photo would be the screen resolution.
You could load up a quake 1 level with a bunch of 512x512 textures and run the game at a resolution of 320x200. Those 512x512 textures are still loaded into the scene even though they are a higher resolution that your screen res. You just have to get really close to see all the texels.

Many engines do scale down textures at a distance using mipmapping, but that's mainly to reduce any aliasing (on the surface of the texture of course, not the edges of the mesh), and since they are often stored on the same texture, large version will still be loaded into memory.

I think some other engines might use multiple lods of each texture, but then they look shitty when they pop in.
Is that sort of what rage does? I dont know

24 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo