Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warp Crow

Real Name Warp Crow   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WarpCrow
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 6, 2011, 16:16
Total Comments 143 (Novice)
User ID 57152

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Patch
6. Re: Dwarf Fortress Patch Feb 15, 2012, 06:08 WarpCrow

If you want to get into it you will need the wiki, and the forums are a help too. There are graphical tilesets available there if the ascii is a dealbreaker for you. Three biggies, Phoebus, Ironhand, and Mayday, are the most popular. Watch tutorials and read guides on the wiki for starters. It's not something you can just boot up and jump right into, but the rewards for sticking with it are substantial.

EDIT: There is something called 'The Lazy Noob Pack' which compiles together things like graphical tilesets and useful tools into one package with a launcher, but it may be a while before everything in it has been updated for the latest version. If you want to try the previous revision or wait for the update in the meantime, it's available here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2801

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2012, 06:15.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale
13. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 00:24 WarpCrow

It depends on how extreme it is. For a game like Killing Floor, the uncut version is not permitted to be advertised or sold openly on store shelves within reach of kids, but it can still be sold. Offering a censored version here is a bit like how companies will often tone down a game to avoid being given an AO rating in the states for fear that retail outlets like Wal-mart will refuse to carry it. It's pretty rare for a game to actually be banned, though. Of course, there are always busybodies trying to put through legislation to make things even more strict but they always fail, and censorship isn't as strict as it was 10 or 20 years ago.

Steam could even sell the uncut versions of many games they now sell censored if they wanted to, but they would need to truly verify that the customer is 18+. Many online stores in Germany do this, but Valve has not yet opted to do so.

News Comments > Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale
10. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 14, 2012, 23:44 WarpCrow

Eh... I probably would have bought it before now except for the fact that Tripwire saw fit to censor it here in Germany. I got around that for RO2 but it's a bit of a hassle every time.  

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Patch
1. Re: Dwarf Fortress Patch Feb 14, 2012, 23:24 WarpCrow

I've been wanting to start another fort for a few weeks now, but I didn't want to start with a year old version just to have the new revision come out so soon afterwards. Really looking forward to some essential tools being upgraded so I can dive into it again.

Two years ago (I can't believe it's been that long since I first played) I thought I could never get into a game with such a clumsy interface and dated graphics, yet here I am now craving like a junkie. The depth, complexity, and sheer Fun of it all make up for every bit of it.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Feb 12, 2012, 19:36 WarpCrow

Seems like cliffski just hates change. Wasn't he bitching about the low price of today's indie games and things like the Humble Bundle a while back? How gamers were getting 'spoiled' and prices should really be higher?  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 8, 2012, 20:26 WarpCrow

So, for the record, spend millions of dollars to lobby and bribe Congress to go against the wishes and best interests of their constituents, while running PR to convince the less-than-tech-savvy public that it's all for the best: just fine. When Google or Wikipedia use their own resources to raise awareness of their concerns: those dirty scoundrels and their abuses of power!  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 5, 2012, 16:33 WarpCrow

I've never been a big RTS fan, but the focus on squad tactics and added RPG elements of Dawn of War 2 hooked me. Not to mention the fact that 40k is such an interesting universe with, IMO, much better atmosphere and feel than its little clone-brother Starcraft. So, that's worth thinking about if you think base-building is all there is to an RTS.  

News Comments > BF3 DLC Announcement As Early As Next Week
11. Re: BF3 DLC Announcement As Early As Next Week Feb 4, 2012, 13:02 WarpCrow

The whole selling maps thing is one reason why I just can't get into modern FPS games. I still play games like Counterstrike and even HL2: Deathmatch on occasion, mostly because of the fun player-made maps. The mod community is the only reason they're still alive, and it's really sad to see games abandoning that just so the devs can sell their own maps at 15 bucks a pack.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 3, 2012, 11:49 WarpCrow

People do a lot of terrible things 'not caring' if it means the difference between being able to feed themselves and their families or not. Wage slavery is not much better than actual slavery. I still think focusing on Apple alone in this is a mistake, though.  

News Comments > Skyrim Patch
4. Re: Skyrim Patch Feb 1, 2012, 16:36 WarpCrow

Having put over 120 hours into this thing on my first character, I'm really looking forward to some actual mods for the second playthrough.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 1, 2012, 08:16 WarpCrow

Hey, I feel for them. When Fable 2 turned out to be console exclusive, I was mad, and as a result abandoned that franchise as a customer even when Fable 3 returned to PC. However, when you choose to support a closed platform managed by a company that doesn't give a shit about indie devs, you can't be surprised when they jump ship.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 13:11 WarpCrow

I boycott Apple because I value open, censorship-free platforms and freedom of choice. If you boycott Apple for how they treat their workers and suppliers, I hope for consistency's sake you also boycott Wal-mart, fast food restaurants, Starbucks, etc etc etc. Most major corporations couldn't get where they are now without exploiting somebody somewhere.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 30, 2012, 12:44 WarpCrow

Darks wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 12:34:
Personally I get tired of this debate on who is entitled to their share of someone selling a game used or buying a used game. Imagine if you took your car to a dealer and wanted to trade it in for a new car. And if the manufacturer of the original car you are trading in decided that they are owed a share of that sell.

Absolutely ridiculous those publishers feel they are entitled to a cut of this. If publishers want a cut of used game sales, then start an outlet store where people can sell and trade games in for newer one. Then the argument will be settled.

The part of this that really bothers me is that publisher feel that they own a game that we bought. they dont own shit.

Except you're viewing it irrationally. If you're going to use the used car analogy, then you'd have to modify it to say 'car manufacturer A bundles new cars with bonus accessory B. If I buy used then they should give one to me too!'

Look at it this way: The same result could be had if they did not bundle the DLC on disk, but made you download it instead. Would you argue then?

News Comments > Maxis' AAA Game Plans
8. Re: Maxis' AAA Game Plans Jan 29, 2012, 15:46 WarpCrow

I miss when Maxis was cool enough that this would have been an exciting announcement, the days of games like SimTower, SimAnt, SimEarth... Ever since EA and The Sims, they've lost their soul. Spore could have been a classic, and ended up being such a disappointment because they decided cutesy and casual should be the focus. A new Simcity might be okay if they go back to what made it a great series, I guess.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 27, 2012, 22:50 WarpCrow

I think it's a bit too late to think about caution and regulations, the cat is out of the bag. Corporations have too much power to be truly reined in by democracy now. Consumerism is a strong force, and the impulse towards nationalism seems to be fading in the first world (I don't blame people for abandoning it either, it's a bad idea). I wonder if those early cyberpunk authors and games like Deus Ex have it right about the near future.  

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 Bonus DLC
21. Re: More Mass Effect 3 Bonus DLC Jan 27, 2012, 09:48 WarpCrow

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 11:05:

Oh Bioware...you're like that chick that used to be totally hot and then went and got a ton of plastic surgery.

All I see when I look at you now is botox and duck lips.

It reminds me more of a loved one coming down with Alzheimer's. Bioware was one of those companies where I wouldn't wait for a review or look for ratings or anything, their games were instant buys because they were -always- incredible. And slowly, ever since the EA takeover, that has become no longer the case. Mass Effect 1 and DAO, which were both in development long before EA came in the picture (even though they were both distributed as EA products), are the last games that were not questionable in some way. ME2 was still good, and TOR is good for what it is, but they haven't lived up to their previous standards.

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall
11. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 13:35 WarpCrow

Nomaar wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 13:08:
So what you're saying is that people still grinded for new gear in the GW expansion, but they did it to look cool, instead of getting more stats. What is so innovative about this? And all MMORPGs usually include new skills and abilities in their expansions, as well as new content to play through.

I think what he's getting at is the fact that traditionally instead of running new content because you want to, you're forced to grind it because if you don't have gear from the newest expansion, nobody wants you in a high end group/raid. This system gives you the option to run instances for something other than just better numbers on a spreadsheet and gives priority to the gameplay rather than the treadmill. I suppose. I never played GW extensively, but what he's saying does make some sense. As long as there's some interesting way for my character to grow and it's not just swap out this piece for this slightly better piece, I'm happy.

9. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 12:43 WarpCrow

Endo wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 12:24:
"and grinding for gear doesn't cut it."

Uh, yeah... but that's generally the entire purpose for increasing the level cap: to force everyone to grind for gear all over again. That's THE biggest reason I don't like level cap increases.

GW kept adding new skills and abilities to collect as a way to keep advancing your character. New gear was available from the new dungeons and other content they added, but the stats were the same as the old gear. They just had new cool skins, which as it turns out is plenty incentive for people to put in lots of effort to acquire them.

But above all, the new content was just fun to play through.

Don't get me wrong, GW wasn't perfect. There's many reasons I quit playing it. But this is one area where they definitely got things right.

That does sound like a decent alternative to the level system, then. I tried GW a few years back and couldn't really get into it, but GW2 looks pretty incredible from what I've seen. Hope it lives up to the hype.

6. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 11:49 WarpCrow

Endo wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 10:43:
Frijoles wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 10:24:
Are you saying MMOs shouldn't increase levels with their expansions?
Yes. Players don't need a "carrot & stick" to keep playing. They just need fun content. Guild Wars proved quite well all by itself that level cap increases aren't necessary, but it's not alone. GW had its share of shortcomings, but at least ArenaNet got that part right.

Eh. You might not. I find gameplay gets boring if my character can't grow or advance in some meaningful way, and grinding for gear doesn't cut it. That's why my characters start to gather dust not long after I reach cap and have a set of passable gear (an epic weapon or something like that is usually carrot enough to keep going).

News Comments > The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up
50. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 23:37 WarpCrow

s1mon75 wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 13:30:
In a PvP environment (which this was), spawn camping is an acceptable tactic. It has been in DAoC, EQ, Wow and others. To counter extensive grieving a quality developer prevents this by offering no Valor / Honour after the 2nd or 3rd kill or guards that protect spawners. So realistically, this is a developer issue not a player one. One that Bioware has learnt in the past few days.

So completely drowning out an entire faction, to the point that there is no way for them to play in the primary battlefield for endgame PVP, is perfectly fine for you? There's a difference between typical spawn camping, which can be avoided or broken through, versus what was shown in the video. What do you say to those who earned their ranks fairly, without taking advantage of broken mechanics? What you've done is worthless now and people will just assume you were part of the mindless mob? I'd say Bioware would have even been justified in doing a complete rollback of that period in valor points and pretending it never happened. A little temporary pain is better than a permanent devaluing of valor IMO... and I don't even PVP.

s1mon75 wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 13:30:
It also appears that to the fanboy's, EA / Bioware can do no wrong.

There may be some people out there who can see no wrong in Bioware, but naysayers like you go to the other irrational extreme. They did plenty wrong, and the game was only saved by whatever autonomy they still have. Still, it's far from a 'failure'.

143 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo