Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warp Crow

Real Name Warp Crow   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WarpCrow
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 6, 2011, 16:16
Total Comments 143 (Novice)
User ID 57152

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > New U.S. Game Labeling Bill
38. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 00:21 WarpCrow

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 23:43:
He's a liberal democrat, spend and attempt to control is what they do.

1. "The idea is that the state doesn't have rights to limit individuals' wants and passions. I disagree with that. I think we absolutely have rights because there are consequences to letting people live out whatever wants or passions they desire."

2. "They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. That is not how traditional conservatives view the world. There is no such society that I’m aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.”

The 'liberal democrat' who said these controlling statements is the second most likely Republican to be on the presidential ballot this election cycle. On the other hand, the one who's most likely to win instituted a system very similar to what you guys like to call 'Obamacare' in Massachusetts, and I know how the right feels about that.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New U.S. Game Labeling Bill
30. Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 23:23 WarpCrow

Rossafur wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 23:04:
There was a time that this would have really upset me (probably in the "I will effing KILL YOU for saying that violent video games make people violent!!!" variety). That time ended when I turned 18, and none of it would apply to me anymore. And now that I'm 28, I really *really* don't care, because the fewer annoying little brats in my online games, the better, imho... Haha

Sure it's nice to avoid the kiddies, but there are unintended consequences to these things. Already certain retail outlets refuse to carry games above a certain rating, and this causes some devs to self-censor in order to get a lower one. How might this get worse under stricter regulations? Consider Germany. Games rated 18+ are only available censored on Steam, not because the uncensored game is banned, but because the ratings system in Germany is more strict and in order to sell the game uncensored, Steam would have to verify customer age. They could do it (Origin even does it, which earns them brownie points with me), but they don't want to go through the trouble of putting the system in place. So get your games elsewhere. Fine, but how many more devs would feel muzzled if this sort of thing spreads to the States?

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2012, 13:57 WarpCrow

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 13:44:
WarpCrow wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 13:27:
Regardless of anything you could interpret out of it, it certainly wasn't an ending for a franchise with three parts and supplemental novels, with fans heavily invested in the characters and the world. You can't just do 'and then something magical happens, the end.' I think the only thing as bad as the ending was the Tali reveal, which was just as unbelievable and unforgivable.

The rest of the game was great IMO, though. It's like they ran out of time and turned a few of the most important remaining parts over to an unpaid intern and gave her a night to come up with something.

The only thing unbelievable about that is how she had the photo taken in the first place ;p But i had to laugh at that scene regardless, because they played the fanservice card and tried to please anyone. I thought Avatar would have advanced us beyond this petty "must look human and beautiful" idiocy .. although maybe that is a bad example.

To me Tali will always look like "insert imagination" and that is that.

Well, I would certainly rather they left it to the imagination instead of putting in a generic, lightly shopped stock photo of a pretty white girl. Eh, I didn't go for her this time around anyway.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2012, 13:27 WarpCrow

Regardless of anything you could interpret out of it, it certainly wasn't an ending for a franchise with three parts and supplemental novels, with fans heavily invested in the characters and the world. You can't just do 'and then something magical happens, the end.' I think the only thing as bad as the ending was the Tali reveal, which was just as unbelievable and unforgivable.

The rest of the game was great IMO, though. It's like they ran out of time and turned a few of the most important remaining parts over to an unpaid intern and gave her a night to come up with something.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 "Biggest Entertainment Launch of 2012"
34. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 12:42 WarpCrow

Ratty wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 12:33:
Bhruic wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 04:33:
Doesn't mean I like it, frankly I thought the ending(s) sucked. I felt the same way I did with the Deus Ex endings - instead of having the various decisions I made along the way matter, they just give you a bunch of options (crappy ones in this case) and make you choose. Ending cop-out 101.
Name any modern game that advertises how your choices influence the game and doesn't cop out with the lame multiple cutscene endings. All the Deus Exs did it, FO3 and FO:NV, Elder Scrolls, etc. I'm with you: that has always annoyed me no end.

The only game I can think of that truly did branching into radically different games based on decisions you made was one called Strife. It was built on the original Doom engine, so you know how long ago that was.

Wasn't there an article here a couple of days ago mentioning how game designers were loathe to ever put things in a game that not everybody would see? Perfectly understandable but I don't have to like it.

New Vegas wasn't so bad with that. At least it wasn't just a selection of hallways or buttons at the end representing the various endings like the new Deus Ex or ME3.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on "Cancerous" AAA Games Growth
2. Re: Quoteworthy: AC3 Dev on Mar 9, 2012, 13:56 WarpCrow

InBlack wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 09:37:
Er...what??

Either the guys who wrote the article (lol) got his quotes all mixed up or Alex Hutchinson is the master of doublethink or doublespeak.

I think AC qualifies as entertaining and possibly even artistic. Ubisoft might be (justly) maligned for their restrictive DRM, but that doesn't mean they make bad games.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Beta
7. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Beta Mar 2, 2012, 05:26 WarpCrow

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 05:16:
Downloaded the beta, having pre-ordered Rebellion months ago.

It's pretty good, TEC only of course, but.... WHAT THE HELL? Steam ONLY!?

What happened to Impulse/Gamestop, aka not running a client in the background while playing Sins of a Solar Empire?

Hopefully the retail release doesn't require Steam, but it's probably already too late.

Impulse was owned by Stardock, publisher of SoaSE. Now that that's no longer the case, they're free to go wherever they want. And regardless of anyone's feelings, Steam still have a stellar reputation with both devs and most customers. It's a pretty safe bet for them.

News Comments > Sony Server Closures
5. Re: Sony Server Closures Mar 1, 2012, 13:06 WarpCrow

Verno wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 13:00:
CommunistHamster wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 12:55:
I can't quite believe people still played a PS2 MMO.

People get really invested in MMOs man, you have no idea. I have a buddy who still plays UO It's one of those amusing circular fallacies. They want to quit but put in too much work to do it so they keep putting in more work. You can see it all the time in other walks of life.

Well, as far as UO goes there is also no MMO that replaces it. Publishers don't seem to like the sandbox model (apart from CCP), hence all the bland theme park WoW reskins we see on the market these days.

News Comments > World of Warplanes Alpha Soars
4. Re: World of Warplanes Alpha Soars Mar 1, 2012, 11:58 WarpCrow

I play World of Tanks casually and I'm looking forward to trying out Warplanes as well. I've barely sunk anything into it, and that was a one-time purchase just to buy myself a few more tank slots (and you get something like seven for free already). You can buy ammo that penetrates a bit better than what you get for in-game currency, bypass grinding the skill of your tank crew, or purchase tanks that give a better money/exp gain rate but are otherwise comparable to or worse than other tanks of that tier, but it's all extremely reasonable and with skill you will do well with or without premium ammo. I can't speak for high end battalion gameplay, though.  

News Comments > Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans
13. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Mar 1, 2012, 06:21 WarpCrow

Fibrocyte wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 20:32:
I want to get into this game but its so hard to do. Playing solo is fine... for a bit.

Multiplayer is kinda meh as servers disappear as fast as they appear, griefers run amuck, and there's little cooperation. I'm sure I'm not getting on the right servers but they're a bit of a PITA to find.

Check out minestatus.net and try one of the bigger servers. My server of choice is Buxville which has been around for something like two years and griefing is illegal, but there are a few good ones depending on what mix of PvP, PvE, and mods you might desire.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2012, 15:15 WarpCrow

nin wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:13:
Rhino wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 10:05:
So, what are everyone's thoughts on Witcher 2? Now that some time has passed since its release, and it's $15 on Amazon today, figured that now would be the time to ask :-)

Amazon seems to be having a sale today where several titles are up to 75% off; but darned if I can get that promotion page to work at the moment.

The only gripe I heard (and it was minor) was the tutorial kinda threw you to the wolves and didn't explain things well, or did it while you were getting your ass handed to you (so it could be easy to miss). this was before the update/revamp 2.0 patch.

For $15 you can't really go wrong, assuming you liked the first one. I believe it's a direct amazon DL, and not a steam code, if that matters. Bats discovered that the other day, I think.

I didn't really like the first one, but the second one is amazing. Waiting for the upcoming giant update before I start playing again.

News Comments > Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans
4. Re: Minecraft Preview Build; Mod Support Plans Feb 29, 2012, 15:03 WarpCrow

It's about damn time. They've been talking about this for half a year or more with no apparent action. All my love to the Minecraft team, but multiplayer and the mod community are where the game really shines.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Crafting Preview
11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Crafting Preview Feb 27, 2012, 09:57 WarpCrow

Hammer wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 09:43:
Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 13:06:
...I really wish these games would take a page from EQ2 and UO, which have the best crafting, and put more effort into it.

Any quick link/description of these systems? A quick google didn't help me find anything that gave me a good idea of how different their system are (were...).

I can't speak for UO, but EQ2 has nine different tradeskill classes. You pick one, and level it just as you would your adventuring class. There are crafter-exclusive questlines and gear, even flying mounts, that can be obtained at any adventuring level as long as you meet the crafting requirement, and rather than the set it and forget it system you see in most games these days you work at a station using a hotbar to react to various events. It's much easier than it was in the beginning, and doesn't require as much cooperation between tradeskillers as it used to, but it's still far more complex than what you find in just about any other modern game.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Crafting Preview Feb 27, 2012, 09:41 WarpCrow

deqer wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 07:08:
sigh... can't we live in a world where we don't go hardcore enough to do a job(crafting) within a game...

nerds...

I consider grinding the same instances over and over for better numbers on a spreadsheet to be more akin to a job, but to each their own.

Also, 'nerd' stopped being a viable insult as soon as most of us graduated high school.

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Crafting Preview Feb 26, 2012, 15:29 WarpCrow

Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 13:06:
Whilst I like how they're handling the gathering aspect the actual crafting itself seems pretty standard which is dissapointing. I really wish these games would take a page from EQ2 and UO, which have the best crafting, and put more effort into it.

Agreed. I suppose a game can't have everything, but the first MMO that managed to hook me was EQ2 and I was so spoiled by the awesome housing system and relatively deep crafting that it's hard to accept that these things aren't standard in most MMO's.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 23:01 WarpCrow

It's even worse if you're here in Europe. We don't get access to neat things like Hulu and Netflix unless we use a VPN or something, and the DVD releases are delayed even longer unless we import. It's like they want us to pirate. They need to get those clueless dinosaurs out of the executive chairs.  

News Comments > President's Day Legal Briefs
7. Re: President's Day Legal Briefs Feb 21, 2012, 07:17 WarpCrow

It's the fault of the executives, the bean counters, the people who know nothing about art except how to market it and squeeze as much money out of it as possible. For decades they've signed contracts with retailers and distributors and TV channels and all these other middlemen to maximize their profits while minimizing convenience for the consumer, and it worked because consumers had no other choice. Now they do. They'll have to give up all of these pre-internet conventions of region locks, exclusivity contracts, differing release dates, etc if they want to really fight piracy. The Oatmeal gave a perfect example in a recent comic.  

News Comments > On Mass Effect 3 DRM
1. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 17, 2012, 20:48 WarpCrow

I haven't played the demo yet, but I really hope this game isn't going to be as bad as it looks. From Jersey Shore Kaiden/Ashley to reports of greater 'accessibility' (read: dumbing down) and the incessant, EA-typical marketing and product/social networking tie-ins, how can I not have a bad feeling? Especially after what they did to Dragon Age 2.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Free Weekend
10. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Free Weekend Feb 17, 2012, 15:25 WarpCrow

Yeah, I'm not even bothering. The last CoD game I bought was MW1, and I'm fine with that. Bringing back dedicated servers for MW3 was too little, too late. The console crowd can have it now.  

News Comments > Civilization V Gods & Kings DLC This Spring
14. Re: Civilization V Gods & Kings DLC This Spring Feb 16, 2012, 14:03 WarpCrow

Granted I'm a single player guy, but I've really enjoyed Civ V so far despite its shortcomings. I was afraid that after releasing the GOTY edition they would abandon it and leave us with that half-assed collection of DLC though. Glad to see they're working on substantial additions to gameplay instead.  

143 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo