Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warp Crow

Real Name Warp Crow   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WarpCrow
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 6, 2011, 16:16
Total Comments 143 (Novice)
User ID 57152

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
97. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 08:51 WarpCrow

shponglefan wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 08:20:

I highly doubt that. I bet most people pirate for the same reason they pirate anything: to avoid paying real money.

And I think people like you are projecting. As a paying pirate, and one who knows many of the same, I see a different situation. If the industry wants to minimize piracy and inflate sales, they have to:

1. Make buying and playing games easy and convenient, and let the consumer decide how they'll do it. Region locks should be rare or nonexistent. Services like Steam, GFWL, and Origin should not be forced on the consumer, nor should intrusive DRM. As soon as the pirate has an easier and more convenient time acquiring and playing the game, the studios have made a big mistake.

2. Stop charging sixty bucks for a linear, eight hour experience with zero replayability. People will pay a reasonable price for decent games, but sixty bucks will give anyone pause and make them wonder if the purchase they're about to make is really worth it.

3. Stop treating your customers like criminals. I pay for games because I want to, not because I have to, because I want to support a particular developer or do my part to make a particular style of game profitable. Piss me off enough and supporting you becomes much less of a priority.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 19:27 WarpCrow

I got it from retail, ace. Even if the number of digital sales happened to equal the number of retail sales (read: best case scenario), the pc platform would still only be at 6%. Nice try though.

I don't know many people in my day to day life who still buy retail unless they have no other option. Digital might be equal, or it might be more.

MW3 is aimed at a console audience

It's not aimed at a console audience. It's aimed at who's doing the buying, and that's not pc gamers these days. You go where the money is.

Well, except they said specifically that they thought console players would have a stronger experience, whereas Dice put in special bells and whistles for the PC crowd. You're just being inflammatory towards the PC-leaning audience of this site with that statement. MW3 is most certainly aimed at a console audience, and nobody with any sense disputes that.

45. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 18:33 WarpCrow

Ventura wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 18:19:
I picked up the PC version of Modern Warfare 3. According to the info at vgchartz.com, PC sales of the game are at about 3%. I bet more than 95% have pirated this one.

MW3 is aimed at a console audience. Most PC players went for BF3 because Dice at least payed lip service to the stuff PC FPS fans want in a game. Most of them still feel like Infinity Ward betrayed them with Modern Warfare 2, and bringing back dedicated servers just isn't enough. Also, yeah, digital sales aren't counted among these statistics. IIRC Steam only even provides their numbers to the devs themselves.

41. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 18:08 WarpCrow

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 16:37:
Just because Skyrim is selling well doesn't mean it isn't equally getting pirated billion-fold. And I'm sure that Beth isn't exactly happy about that development, in spite of the success of the franchise.

This is because of the faulty view that 1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale, which isn't even close to true. Plenty of people pirate games that they can't otherwise afford, or that they would never buy at the price point asked for them (or any price point), or that they will buy later. God knows I've done all three, but I still spend at least a hundred euros a month (on average) supporting developers who release good games on PC.

6. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 13:32 WarpCrow

Another pay2win online multiplayer game? lolnothx

As a PC gamer/pirate who has this month bought two copies of Saints Row 3, two copies of Skyrim, and a copy of Anno 2070 (oddly enough an Ubisoft game that has no problem being PC exclusive) along with various indie bits and bobs, I'll have to say I'm perfectly happy with my money going elsewhere instead. =)

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on Christ Centered Gamer. Nov 23, 2011, 12:16 WarpCrow

He doesn't outright mention or is ignorant about the game's profuse occult and Satanic references. Skyrim is no game for people who want to avoid these things.

You don't have to get in good with the Daedra or do any 'evil' magic. I suppose the polytheism might bother some people but those people would probably do well to stay sealed in their little bubbles and avoid all forms of non-religious entertainment anyway. Even Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were content to leave their Christian references shrouded in metaphor and fantasy.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 20, 2011, 19:48 WarpCrow

I was going to say no, because so much of the value of Minecraft lies in mods, but then Skyrim has been bogglingly successful on consoles despite the legendary modding communities that Bethesda RPG's tend to have, so I suppose I'll just have to come to terms with being out of touch.  

News Comments > Minecraft Version 1.0
18. Re: Minecraft Version 1.0 Nov 19, 2011, 15:39 WarpCrow

tuddies wrote on Nov 19, 2011, 14:20:
One word: MODS!

Vanilla minecraft offers a blank canvas - but mods add the content. If you only play vanilla, you are not playing minecraft!

I would never play on a vanilla server, and I do check out mods from time to time, but I get sick of the wait every time a new update breaks them. It would be really nice if they got their asses in gear and got that mod framework going. I think Notch had no clue how much people rely on mods and multiplayer to stay interested in the game.

News Comments > Minecraft Version 1.0
12. Re: Minecraft Version 1.0 Nov 19, 2011, 10:07 WarpCrow

Yeah, I was the same way about playing it nonstop for a couple weeks, but once you have some diamonds and you've been to the nether, what else is there to do? There's the End now I guess, but aside from that it's only good for the multiplayer. Here's hoping they change that a bit in expansions now, taking some tips from Terraria perhaps.  

News Comments > EA Forum Bans Still Earning Game Bans?
19. Re: EA Forum Bans Still Earning Game Bans? Nov 14, 2011, 12:15 WarpCrow

Verno wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 12:03:
Hah, agreed, that's the real story here. People will volunteer for anything, I wouldn't be shocked to find takers who would pick up my dogs shit for me. The power of the internet!

I'll volunteer to moderate a forum for an organization I care about, but for a multibillion dollar corporation like EA that doesn't even know you exist, just so they don't have to hire a few more underpaid worker ants? Nah...

14. Re: EA Forum Bans Still Earning Game Bans? Nov 14, 2011, 11:17 WarpCrow

Icewind wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 10:47:
So yeah, just wait, the "Steam Hating Tinfoil Hat Brigade" should be here soon to show us that this is a non-issue and that Steam is horrible and Origin is the messiah. Or whatever.

I don't think it's that so much as Battlefield and TOR fanboys trying to justify handing their money over so enthusiastically despite all of the red flags about Origin. I don't necessarily blame them. I'll probably end up playing TOR for a while myself, but I'm not under any illusions about the company I'll be supporting.

6. Re: EA Forum Bans Still Earning Game Bans? Nov 14, 2011, 10:12 WarpCrow

I wonder what excuse will be given by the Origin Defense Brigade for this particular embarrassment. Valve might VAC ban you or ban you from the forums, but it takes a lot to actually be banned from your Steam account (a chargeback, fraud, cheating Valve in some way), and even then you can still play offline AFAIK.  

News Comments > Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month
2. Re: Free-to-Play EverQuest II Next Month Nov 10, 2011, 20:58 WarpCrow

Games like LOTRO have proven that F2P isn't always such a bad thing, but it certainly is this time. EQ2X has the worst cash shop I have ever seen in an MMO. It completely negates the value of the crafting system and when I last looked at it offered pretty much everything except actual platinum. For all I know they might have added that by now as well. It's such a shame, Norrath is one of the most interesting, immersive worlds I ever played in, and I have such awesome memories of it, but SOE has been slowly killing it for a long time now. I left around the time of the hacking scandal, and it looks like I was right not to look back.  

News Comments > The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea
12. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 03:08 WarpCrow

TheDrifter73 wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 00:48:
I seriously hope you're not suggesting they would pirate an indie game because they plan to actually spend money on a triple A title.
Most people I know who pirate games wouldn't drop a dime on a game no matter what it was, indie or AAA, so I find the idea that a pirate would want to pay for a AAA game to be a little laughable.
That's not to say all wouldn't, just most.

I'm just speaking from my own experience as a pirate and that of many of my friends. I don't do it as much as I used to, but it's how I was when I did. I bought the games I could afford on my budget, my favorites, the one I thought most deserving of support, but they weren't the only ones I played. I've read research recently that supports the position that most pirates actually spend more on media than those who don't pirate (which would have been true for me), but I haven't looked at it in detail.

News Comments > The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea
8. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 9, 2011, 23:13 WarpCrow

Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 20:32:
Not sure it's a game I'd like enough to spend 30 bucks on but I wish them the best.

This is the problem. The people pirating this would not otherwise buy it at this price point. Why would I buy a low-budget game for 30 bucks when there are so many AAA titles coming out right around now? Arkham City, Skyrim, BF3, MW3, Saints Row 3, L.A. Noire on PC, the new Anno, those are just the big names that came out or are coming out this month, not even starting on the list coming out in December. SWTOR, AC: Revelations, etc. and some mix of these is much higher priority on most peoples' lists. How much money do they think people have?

I'm not justifying piracy, but to think these people are 1 to 1 lost sales is not just improbable, it's laughable.

News Comments > More Fallout Online Legal News
15. Re: More Fallout Online Legal News Nov 8, 2011, 06:01 WarpCrow

Meanwhile.. Haven't some Russian fans already made a Fallout MMO?

There are a couple using the assets of Fallout 2 (you do have to have it installed I believe, as it obviously wouldn't be legal to offer everything in the download). It's still extremely unpolished and pretty much entirely PvP focused though.

http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/FOnline_Engine

News Comments > Bloodlines/Dead State Interview
1. Re: Bloodlines/Dead State Interview Oct 22, 2011, 14:23 WarpCrow

The fact that Bloodlines was in such an unfinished state even with the official patches and has still managed to become the cult classic it is makes me wonder what things might have been like under more positive circumstances. Maybe Troika would still be with us today, alas...  

News Comments > Subversion on Hold, New Introversion Project Revealed
6. Re: Subversion on Hold, New Introversion Project Revealed Oct 18, 2011, 15:03 WarpCrow

I loved Uplink, but neither Darwinia nor Defcon managed to hook me so when I heard Subversion would be a spiritual successor I was pretty excited. Sad to see it put on indefinite hold like this, but I wish there were more details on this new game.  

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
3. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Oct 16, 2011, 21:50 WarpCrow

Does anyone still actually play this oldass game?

It's only seven years old, and it's a classic... Not all of us are too shallow to appreciate anything with less than the latest and greatest graphics.

News Comments > Project Zomboid Code Theft
10. Re: Game Reviews Oct 16, 2011, 16:09 WarpCrow

Things did get out of hand, but that's sadly a given in the gaming community when devs make a mistake or an unpopular decision, and when something as stupid as this happens, well... I think the point is that this was about the most unprofessional possible reaction to the most unprofessional possible mistake. Anyone who hasn't already given them money will be making a huge leap of faith if they do so after this incident...

EDIT: My bad, I thought the post I quoted said 'dev ass-kickers' at first, so I just edited the quote out. I haven't visited those forums so I have no idea what state they're in after this.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2011, 16:15.

143 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo