Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Warp Crow

Real Name Warp Crow   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WarpCrow
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 6, 2011, 16:16
Total Comments 143 (Novice)
User ID 57152

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up
36. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 13:11 WarpCrow

As for the game being a 'failure', I think people have a heavily distorted view of what constitutes success for an MMO. As a rule, MMO launches are rocky, and SWTOR has actually had one of the smoothest I've been a part of. Spam is very rare, server downs are infrequent and at very acceptable times, bugs are being fixed as they pop up. I was there for the start of Vanguard and Aion, I know what a bad launch looks like. Even WoW's launch was many orders of magnitude worse than this. TOR won't be a Warcraft-killer, but I don't see why it can't have a healthy lifespan as MMO's go.

...That said, I still expect Guild Wars 2 to rip me right away from it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 09:51 WarpCrow

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 09:39:
space captain wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 09:05:
Illumin wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 00:15:
If its not about making a good product then why do millions of people play them?

you must be a huge justin beiber fan

Young kids like Justin Beiber, bozo.

He still has a point. Popularity is meaningless in gauging quality. Talking about MMO's always brings out the gaming hipsters who like to boast of the superiority of their personal taste over that of the sheeplike masses, though. Fact is, there are good MMO devs and bad ones, and if one sees them all as bad then maybe they just aren't made for you.

18. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 07:21 WarpCrow

s1mon75 wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 07:00:
So people who were playing the game, within the rules of the game, will be penalised for the lack of forsight by the patch creators / developers?

Glad I cancelled my account.

It's called an exploit. It happens all the time in multiplayer games. Ruining the game for others just because you can and then getting called on it doesn't make you a victim, regardless of how crappy the patch was.

16. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 06:18 WarpCrow

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 23:57:
Alas, no. MMOs are not, in general, and never have been about making a good product. They're always cash grabs that see the "developer" riding it down to the bitter end, shutting down the studio and then opening up under a new name for yet another MMO cash grab. Lather, rinse and repeat.

You don't see many single player games that the same people are still enjoying ten years later. Quality and innovation have stagnated in MMO's over the past half decade or so, but we're not close to the point where you can make a blanket statement like that yet. For a developer like, say, Cryptic, and probably the vast majority of Asian grindfests? Yes, you're right. For others, not so much.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 13, 2012, 11:43 WarpCrow

nin wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 09:56:
You drink some wacky assed Kool Aide...

It was an overstatement, but I have similar thoughts. What do consoles offer that streaming services don't, or won't within a decade of refinement? Streaming has all the important bits: a plug and play experience, no need to mess around with settings, just start the game and play. No need for expensive hardware, not even a relatively inexpensive console. Much greater portability over consoles as long as you have access to broadband connection, no need to worry about losing discs, the list goes on. The same people who chose consoles over PC will soon choose streaming over consoles, and for many of the same reasons. It's just a matter of time if you ask me.

I'll keep my PC though. The prospect of handing 100% control of my hardware/software over to someone else is just not for me.

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2012, 16:26 WarpCrow

jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 15:43:
Second, arguing that MS is in business because people pirate it is stupid. People buy (and pirate) it b/c it's a superior product to Linux, otherwise Linux (being free) would have already taken over. Also, Windows is a monopoly with no real alternatives for certain applications like gaming. It takes money to make good software, and while I think that the government should force MS open its source code to competitors (a la Intel), they are in business on the strength of their software and anticompetitive business practices.

This is true now, but much of their user base was built on pirates. Bill Gates said it himself in the 90's: "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, people don't pay for the software. Someday they will, though. And as long as they're going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

If these people could not have pirated Windows, they would have used some flavor of Free Software. And slowly, the piracy rate in these developing nations has in fact gone down, and the former pirates stick with what they're used to. The same was true of pirates in the early days of Windows.

Third, your Oblivion example is this: Lots of people pirated Oblivion and enjoyed it, so they paid full price for Skyrim. Um, no. Pirates do not magically become paying customers. Bethesda has spent the last decade and a half continuously improving this franchise, building its brand, and advertising. That's why it's selling like crazy. Anyone who pirated Oblivion would most likely pirate Skyrim as well.

And this is pure speculation. I'm a pirate myself, and I hear this often from non-pirates but it's never backed up, and it does not match my personal experience or that of my pirating friends in the least. Thing is, there -is- a price and convenience level that converts a pirate into a paying customer, but when full-price games cost us 50-60, yeah, there's going to be a fair bit of piracy going on. I spend a ton on games. More than I probably should. I can't afford them all though, and sometimes I pirate the overflow. If they're good, I often buy these overflow games later as prices come down. If I couldn't pirate them, I simply wouldn't buy them.

The biggest contributor to my piracy other than this is region blocks. I live in Germany. I refuse to buy or play a censored version of any game, especially when we're paying more than people in the US or UK who get it uncut. The full version will be pirated in this household, or the game will not be played at all. This rule is as solid as the laws of physics, and would never be affected by a sudden inability to pirate.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2012, 19:43 WarpCrow

And this is why having the vast majority of national media controlled by a handful of massive corporations is something that should never have been allowed to happen. A democratic society requires an informed, educated population of voters, not a bunch of entertainment addicts fed biased and incomplete information by people with an incentive to mislead.  

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2012, 22:17 WarpCrow

One of the best things about Borderlands was the variation in weapons and stats. Screw this guy.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans
23. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 10:52 WarpCrow

yuastnav wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 06:47:
WarpCrow wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 01:57:
[...] I'm playing the game and I'm having a lot of fun with it, despite having very low expectations thanks to EA's involvement. [...]

Uh, that is not correct. You are having fun because you had low expectations, not despite having low expectations.
You see - you had low expectations i.e. you did not expect very much from this game and the game offered more than you expected and that is why you are having fun.
If you had high expectations than the game would have under-delivered and you would not be having fun.

I understand what you're trying to say, but at the same time if you go into something expecting to hate it, you're more likely to focus on the negatives that confirm your pre-existing notions. Right now I'm just worried about what the cash shop will offer and somewhat pissed about the fact that I, as a fashion-conscious Sith Inquisitor, can't wear a facemask and a hood simultaneously.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2012, 10:42 WarpCrow

InBlack wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:28:
Bla bla bla....F2P games have to be like crack......bla bla bla.

Seriously though, in many ways I have to agree with Robin. F2P games have to have a good gameplay mechanic to be successful. However the problem is that because of their inherent nature, not nearly enough money goes into developing F2P games. They usually sacrifice a whole lot or ship with a lot of bugs, and features missing.

Case in point? World of Tanks. One of the best games I have played. Seriously. Its a great and simple concept that could have been so much more. The game is enjoying great success at the moment, which is a double edged sword. At the moment the developers are really lazy, instead of adding new feature that could make it a better game they are playing it safe. Adding new tanks and factions while keeping the same stale one-type CTF gameplay.

World of tanks is one of the only games of that type (with the typical CTF, deathmatch, etc. gameplay) to really grab me, and I agree that its biggest downside is the lack of variety in gameplay. Every update it's one or two new maps and that's it. I believe the next one is bringing in a French tank tree, but the gameplay remains the same and for people like me at least, who don't give a shit about clans or leaderboards, lack of variation is what eventually drives us away.

News Comments > Childs Play Raises $3.5M
11. Re: Childs Play Raises $3.5M Jan 5, 2012, 02:10 WarpCrow

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 01:16:
Yeah... maybe i just got too cynical lately. If i had 50$ to donate i'd not donate it to childs-play, but rather the UN wfp. Preventing children from dying from starvation ranks higher on my moral-to-do list than buying sick children video games and wow subscriptions.

Just find it absurd to see that much money go to luxury items, while people still starve on this planet. Absurd indeed.

I think along the same lines, somewhat. I don't like band-aid charities. It's great for sick and dying kids to have a little happiness added to their days, but I'd rather more resources go towards looking for cures and treatments for the diseases they suffer from. Better for future children not to needlessly suffer than for the ones suffering now to have a few more toys.

News Comments > The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans
8. Re: The Old Republic Bug Fix Plans Jan 5, 2012, 01:57 WarpCrow

Meh. MMO players (the mainstream represented by forums and news site commenters, anyway) are some of the most self-entitled, bitchy, spiteful, impatient people I've ever seen. I'm playing the game and I'm having a lot of fun with it, despite having very low expectations thanks to EA's involvement. I'm not sure how I'll feel after finishing the storyline on two or three characters and I'm still pretty sure Guild Wars 2 will blow it out of the water, but I don't even come close to regretting the sub.  

News Comments > New Year's Mobilization
1. Re: New Year's Mobilization Jan 3, 2012, 09:57 WarpCrow

So... 3DS Myst actually looks inferior to the original PC Myst. And, considering that I can get the real-time rendered Realmyst on GOG or Steam for $6, this is purely for the useless gimmick of having some of it (not even all or even most of it) in '3D'. No thanks.  

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free Nerf Gun Uproar
6. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Nerf Gun Uproar Dec 23, 2011, 00:22 WarpCrow

Well, what do you expect playing an explicitly pay2win game made by the most greedy publisher you can find in today's market? Customers who would ragequit over spending a few more bucks on upgrades are not their target audience.  

News Comments > Dead Island German Ban
12. Re: Dead Island German Ban Nov 30, 2011, 05:07 WarpCrow

Well, that answers my question about why the listing dropped out of Steam. I wonder what happened to those Germans who bought it there previously. Valve has the power to remove a game from your library, and I wouldn't be surprised if they used it in this case to avoid liability. This is the one thing that always disturbed me a little about the service. It's like giving EBGames the power to come to my home and take one of their games back if something weird happens.

The ban itself is pointless though. Anyone who wants it can easily have it imported from Austria. Hell, I could drive over there today and pick up a copy as I live so close to the border. And, well, piracy is even easier.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2011, 05:16.

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
154. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 16:59 WarpCrow

And perhaps you should not just read one of my posts and go off half cocked, but rather read the conversation before throwing the verbal filth around. Had you done so, you would have seen I actually acknowledged that, but pointed out my reason for posting that link was more to what the US Attorney said to the media, and the ramifications it has going forward; so if you're going to quote the article, be sure you quote the relevant part:

You do realize that a US attorney is simply a high-ranking lawyer, right? A lawyer who, in this case, was prosecuting in a case of commercial piracy? Which is, incidentally, legally completely separate from small-scale piracy for personal, non-commercial use.

135. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 12:59 WarpCrow

shponglefan wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 11:52:
For point #2, I can't entirely speak for games pricing. However, $60 for a game today is cheaper than games were 15-20 years ago on an inflation-adjusted basis. And in the past, you'd still get games that would last 8 hours, yet would cost more in today's dollars. I think gamers are a little spoiled in this regard.

A game is worth what your market is willing to pay for it, that's all. Now, I understand the concept of high production values, quality over quantity, etc. Portal 2 was a short experience but it was worth it IMO. Significant inflation may have occurred in the past 20 years, but middle class incomes have stagnated and the market has grown massively, which throws off a purely inflation-based adjustment of price. Piracy is also much easier now than it used to be, both console and PC, and you can't get rid of piracy in its current form without instituting a complete lockdown on the internet and, frankly, killing any spirit and sense of freedom it still contains.

Actually, on the pricing front there was a blog entry by the creators of Avernum, Geneforge, and Avadon, who for the longest time kept their 90's shareware prices and have only recently realized that the market has changed and you can't charge what you used to. Of course there's a big difference between the low budget indie marketplace and the marketplace of AAA games from major studios, but a lot of his points have similar or identical parallels in the mainstream market.

121. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 11:41 WarpCrow

Missing your point about Steam. I have the same thing. Bears no relevance on the piracy discussion.
You claimed that those who say piracy isn't theft are rationalizing stealing. I have no reason to rationalize it because I pay for games. That was my point.

I'm pretty sure if you "copy" documents from a CIA server, someone will be knocking on your door. If you "borrow" a car and return it, you're still going to jail. If you pirate a video game, movie, or music, yes, you are committing a felony.

If I borrow a car, the owner is deprived of the car for the duration, it might be damaged during my joy ride, and I am introducing wear and tear that would not otherwise be there. If I build an exact copy of someone's car and then drive away with it, I've done no harm to anyone.

People that steal games then bitch about the state of the industry are like people that don't vote, but go all in on the Occupy Movement. Hypocrites. As anyone can tell you, if a studio doesn't generate titles that bring in sufficient revenue to stay around, they will die (See: Looking Glass). Super-easy relationship between the two.

I agree with everything you've said in this paragraph. I just disagree on the line you've drawn and the connection between piracy and theft. If you equate piracy as theft, you're playing into industry propaganda that says 1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale. You're letting them frame the debate, and you're making it easier for them to push harmful DRM and policies of censorship.

Make no mistake, violating DCMA/copyright/patents can result in criminal trial, they just seldom do.

And, lest you think otherwise, and here's that proof:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/05/guilty-verdict/

End of line.

Agreed, piracy with the intent to resell and profit is in fact a felony and you can be sent to prison for it. Now give me an example of someone pirating music or games for their own personal use being charged with a felony. Can you? Do you not see a difference between these two hypothetical cases? Because the law does see them differently. From the very article you linked:

Not withstanding the tough talk, the operation did not target casual downloaders. Gitarts was convicted of conspiracy to violate the NET Act (.pdf), which makes it a crime to infringe a copyright "for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain"; to pirate $1,000 or more in music within 180 day period; or to distribute any pirated content before its release date.

109. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 10:24 WarpCrow

Keep rationalizing Stealing. I hope that works out for you. Even my 5 year old niece sees what is wrong with that logic.

Then back it up with your own logic. If piracy is theft, why is it not prosecuted as such under the law? What has the victim lost? I don't know about InBlack, but I've got a Steam account worth thousands to prove that I'm not rationalizing my own actions, and I don't buy exclusively through Steam.

105. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 10:14 WarpCrow

Brilliant. Now it's not even theft.

It has never been theft. It's not even theft under the law. There is a reason people are sued for copyright infringement and not arrested for petty theft. For theft to have occurred, the victim of the crime has to have lost something. If I steal a car, the owner has one less car. If I steal a pack of chips from the shop, the shop now has one less pack of chips. If I pirate a game, the developer has not been affected in any way unless it's a case where they can leech off of the developer's bandwidth through updates, etc.

143 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo