Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for rebelstar

Real Name rebelstar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname lasersquad
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 18, 2011, 17:12
Total Comments 20 (Suspect)
User ID 57105

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced
63. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced Sep 21, 2011, 15:27 lasersquad

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 14:21:
Your panning of the game without having played it is like criticizing food you've never eaten.

(yawn)

lasersquad wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 08:27:
Dades wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 16:13:
Maybe you should try playing it and see if you might enjoy it before panning it. [...]

If you actually read the thread you`d see that I`m not "panning it" - but complaining about few design decisions while recognising it is still a good game

Thanx for contributing, but next time best stick to that popcorn, buddy. And hold that thought when in the future you are rant`n ravin about some nonexistent title.

@Verno

One think I can agree on is that indeed this is splitting hair/going in circles at the moment. It sort of goes back to my original point about how some people want to love this title so much that they are prepared to ignore/excuse some fundamental flaws.

But nevermind, I won`t drag this on, in fact I won`t bother y`all furthermore at all.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2011, 15:49.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced Sep 21, 2011, 13:55 lasersquad

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 08:53:
I think you're missing their point.

They are saying your opinion of Dues Ex gameplay lacks credibility because you haven't even played the game.

I think you missed the point above in which I explain what I think of this old trope. If it`s still unclear though than please go and have look at any thread where people seem to make their minds up about a game before it was even released or reviewed. Like Rage for example.

Verno wrote:
You aren't sacrificing any gameplay elements to avoid using third person in DX:HR. The third person cover system and takedowns are mostly considerations for the console market that do not add nor detract from the game in any way.

Hehe that`s quite some mental acrobatics, and all that just to avoid agreeing with some pesky noob. So if I choose not to use cover system I`m not avoiding important gameplay element? And if it isn`t adding or detracting from game then wouldn`t you say it was tacked on to please console crowd? (rhetorical question mate)

We have no idea what Thief 4 is right now it's all speculation based on nothing. Given their treatment of the DX IP, I can't see this team doing anything but producing an excellent Thief game.

It`s a speculation based on tidbits of info, current trends in videogaming and DE itself. As good as any other on this site or elsewhere on the net. This team has already "proven" that they can`t even handle the whole game themselves and didn`t they just clutter DE:HR with unnecessary crowd pleasers? Not in my Thief, thank you, but if you fancy playing Assassin Garret, all the best.

As for "why are we still discussing it" - don`t answer/ignore my posts and this discussion will die a natural death. Simple, really.

News Comments > Quoteworthy
13. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 08:35 lasersquad

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 21:38:
At least you'd be honest, and we could respect you for that.

This "The consoles add more than they take away" horseshit just makes you look like a tool.

Recently another Todd, the Howard one, had similar moment of madness saying something about how FO3 on 360 didn`t really push the console`s potential and how Skyrim...oh for crying out loud.

It`s hard as it is not to get annoyed by old-gen holding things back, relentless bleatings on how "all the versions look the same honestly guise!", and then they have to come out and spout this kind of rubbish.

That is a provocation of sorts

55. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced Sep 21, 2011, 08:27 lasersquad

Dades wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 16:13:
Maybe you should try playing it and see if you might enjoy it before panning it. [...] Getting all fired up about features you aren't even forced to use just makes you look uninformed.

If you actually read the thread you`d see that I`m not "panning it" - but complaining about few design decisions while recognising it is still a good game. Also the fact that you don`t need to use these features speaks for itself.

eRe4s3r wrote:
"...the game is too static, the world doesn't evolve, doesn't change dynamically enough and theres way too few people around in the cities..."

This is what worries me the most. Consider this: 10 years before original DE there wasn`t even Wolfenstein. Progress? I think so. 10 years after, we get a sequel...but not much changed really. Where are these living & breathing worlds we imagined would come in the future? Yeah, so consoles are holding things back and all, but even so - I`d rather blame the whole cannot-take-any-risks mindset of today.

Jerykk wrote:
One of the reasons I loved Thief is that you often felt like the hunted, not the hunter

Pretty much...and if you played on highest difficulty it actually became the rule. A thing of beauty.

However, games these days are all about accessibility and that's why I'm pretty sure that Thief 4 will have some sort of third-person camera, just like DX:HR did

I wouldn`t mind at all if it had optional 3rd person camera like Thief 3 or Oblivion. If people wanna play this way, fine. DE:HR way would be a no-no for me because I can`t imagine sacrificing any gameplay elements to avoid 3rd person in this particular title.

Unfortunately it`s probably all a moot point, because if rumours are to be believed they`re going for Assassin Creed model - totally 3rd person with parkour and such. Oh, well.

48. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced Sep 20, 2011, 15:51 lasersquad

Beamer wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 15:15:
Is third person cover really that much more immersion-breaking than cut-scenes?
Than picking a line of dialogue from a choice of several?
From weird lockpicking/hacking mini-games?

Ummm...yes. These are rather different from switching 1st to 3rd person during movement.

You guys must have a much more delicate sense of immersion than I do.
That may be. I was even slightly upset when FO3 forced me to watch myself sitting on a chair. (Not in VATS replays thou - guess it`s more of a "cut-scene")

Do you feel less immersed in books when you have to flip pages? And are these games really that immersive, period?

About books, no - nice try thou. About games - for me, some are (sparing the digs about sensing/smelling). Namely Deus Ex, Thief, FO3. Dark room, headphones & near-heart attack when you get flanked by some entity in Thief for example.

44. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced Sep 20, 2011, 15:05 lasersquad

nin wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 14:48:
They were designed as apart of how to play the game. They weren't "tacked on".

For me (and few others) they were. I`d rather play it the old way, with leaning and all that, but without immersion breaking snapping out to 3rd person - things that rather clearly were added on to "modernize" or "spice up" the tried & trusted model. If that makes me "special", "stuck in the past" or whatever, then so be it.

Having said all that I`m pretty sure I`ll enjoy this game anyway - when I`ll finally play it, eh

41. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced Sep 20, 2011, 14:46 lasersquad

If these were really "key" elements as you say, why did I read many people`s accounts about how you can play the game totally in first person/avoiding these? (not only what Verno says above, it was said after the leaked beta too)

And anyway, that was just my opinion - that these things don`t really fit the game - as proven in "outsourcing" the boss battles. If you think otherwise, then that is your opinion.

39. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced Sep 20, 2011, 14:30 lasersquad

It sho`nuff is easier to pick on "haven`t played it" than argue the point itself.

Alas, any and all that have never judged something without playing/reading/watching it, feel free to throw the first cookie (long as it`s not of the Flash variety, allergic to these)

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 20, 2011, 14:14 lasersquad

Heh, you might actually be right - when I read this release few days ago it actually said "combat is settled in turn-based format". This seems to have been edited out now. http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?p=13526501

Either way the Level5/Ghibli combo is enough for me, turn based or not

News Comments > Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel
18. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 12:50 lasersquad

I think aliens are actually more likely to invade good ol` US of A than North Koreans, but that`s just me.

Shame, I hoped Crytek was destined for bigger things than milking some rental-at-best franchises... They just could have licensed the engine to KAOS like with the abovementioned Sniper...

35. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced Sep 20, 2011, 12:33 lasersquad

nin wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 10:53:

I haven`t played HR

Well, ok then...

Oh, that old chestnut. I think after 30+ years of playing videogames I can make an assumption or two.

@Verno/Jerykk
I didn`t really mean cover system - why would you even need one in Thief anyway? - but lots of grumblings & rumours that it`s gonna be strictly 3rd person. That would kill this title instantly for me.

Or even such devices like the ones mentioned earlier about HR would be hard to swallow (in Thief game these would be difficult to avoid I guess).

Die hard Thief fan here, is all

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 20, 2011, 12:17 lasersquad

Verno wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 11:12:
Oh I seem to recall people lining up for things like WoW expansions too

Plus camps of fanatics outside Apple shrines whenever new iThing gets released...

30. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced Sep 20, 2011, 10:18 lasersquad

Verno wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 09:47:
that's all optional stuff

I know, that`s why I still have high hopes for this title. Still, it was unnecessary, but I understand it`s 2011 and the rules of the game changed a bit.

I`ll tolerate these in Deus Ex, but not in Thief 4 I`m afraid - more serious affair, this.

News Comments > Starbreeze Working on New IP
12. Re: Starbreeze Working on New IP Sep 20, 2011, 09:48 lasersquad

TinMan wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 06:18:
The starbreeze that made that game is considerably different from the starbreeze of today.

Word. Great article too - I like me a bit of insider drama. Also, it reminded me of Into The Shadows - lol, forgot about this epic vapourware. Heady days :-)

News Comments > Starbreeze Working on New IP
11. Re: Starbreeze Working on New IP Sep 20, 2011, 09:42 lasersquad

*sorry: double post, didn`t know you can`t delete your own Any mod plz feel free to get rid of this*

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2011, 09:55.

27. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced Sep 20, 2011, 09:39 lasersquad

I haven`t played HR but it`s clear that lots of the game elements have been tacked on, so as to make it "funkier' or whatever. Namely boss battles, "takedowns", 3rd person bullshit.

There`s a trend currently where people who enjoyed the game are trying to excuse these things with some convoluted explanations (heard recently that 3rd person wallhacking is ok because "it`s more realistic". Nah mate - it isn`t and it sucks). It`s still probably a great game and I`m looking forward to playing it - but flawless it ain`t.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 20, 2011, 09:27 lasersquad

Level 5 + Studio Ghibli + turn based battles. In glorious HD.

Life`s good, eat a *&^% Bioware

News Comments > Gone Gold - RAGE
38. Re: Gone Gold - RAGE Sep 19, 2011, 09:19 lasersquad

For me this game went from WTFITS to hell-it-might-even-be-good status recently. I`m bit sick of corridor shooters and anything that opens up the world a little is a good thing. Sure, it looks generic, but also we can expect some engine solidness from Mr.Carmack.

Alternatively, I`m just a Bethesda`s fanboy & wish them well

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2011, 07:59 lasersquad

New XCOM looks a bit advanced more than YAFPS so there is hope it might actually turn out not a bad game - vide FO3 mentioned above(this from one of J.Gollop`s biggest fans - hint in the nickname. And yes, I `d rather see The Dreamland Chronicles brought back to life )

Syndicate = straight cash-in thou, what with the DX:HR look etc...

Not a bad article overall, especially it`s on IGN not some obscure blog. It`s true that since COD/ME raked in gazillions what everyone in the industry wants is MOAR GOLD.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 18, 2011, 13:26 lasersquad

Hiya all, 1st post - after ~14 years of reading I thought I might as well say something

That thing about Vita RAM being cut in half has been later dismissed by Sony as untrue in a official press statement. Cute rumour, but a rumour all the same.

I have high hopes for this system and wish Sony all the best with it. Let`s pray they won`t make some stupid moves PS3 - style.

20 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo