Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xander Lohr

Real Name Xander Lohr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Panickd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's far too late for me to be anything I'm not.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2011, 19:03
Total Comments 579 (Apprentice)
User ID 57051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Mar 18, 2014, 18:57 Panickd

PropheT wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 18:31:
EA winning this like they have speaks more about the gaming community than it does about them. It makes gamers look like spoiled brats if EA wins this annually when up against companies on the list that are doing things that actually ruin people's lives and damage communities.

And, like I said, the bracket is meaningless. None of the companies that have been featured on it have ever done thing one to fix their shitty public images, and they still make tons of money so they have no impetus to change.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: etc., etc. Mar 18, 2014, 18:53 Panickd

Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 17:58:
What a joke. Everyone and their dog knows Apple is the worst...in the world.

When Steve was running the show I would have agreed with you because he was an ass who only cared about profit but since he's been dead I think Tim Cook has been trying hard to bring Apple out of the darkness. And that's all without anyone making threats to Apple's bottom line.

1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 18, 2014, 17:42 Panickd

I love the "worst company in America" brackets because people actually believe it means anything to be called the worst. Comcast is shit but rakes in billions every year. The same could be said of Activision, EA, AT&T and a whole raft of other corporations.

Shitty customer service? Shady business practices? Treat your employees like trash? Don't worry, none of your customers really care. You'll still rake in billions! Why would any of these companies stop their crappy behavior when it would actually cost them money to do so and eat into the massive profits they're making? "I know Comcast is the worst company in history and their CEO bathes in the blood of kittens, but I need my cable TV, so...."

News Comments > GOG.com Adding Linux
4. Re: GOG.com Adding Linux Mar 18, 2014, 14:18 Panickd

Xil wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 11:49:
this whole ubuntu stuff irritates me, ubuntu is going a totally diffrent way in the linux eco system so pick the distro on which ubuntu is based: debian (and no am not using that one either but just makes more sense)

It makes sense when you consider that Ubuntu (and it's variants like Kbuntu, Lbuntu, etc.) are far and away the most installed desktop Linux distros out there. And when it comes to supporting Linux you have to choose a baseline to standardize around because there is so much variation. Witness how many hoops you have to jump through to get Steam running on some distros.

You can already run most older GOG games on Linux through Wine with the PlayOnLinux install scripts (even if sometimes you're just running the Windows version of DOSBox in Wine). I hold out hope that they'll be able to bring some of the older Windows games to Linux using that method. But I'm guessing this is mostly just about wrapping the Linux version of DOSBox into an installer and calling it good.

News Comments > Armada - RTS Announced by Monaco Dev
3. Re: Armada - RTS Announced by Monaco Dev Mar 13, 2014, 12:28 Panickd

At this point I'd be in for whatever this developer wants to do next. They took the time to tweak Monaco into perfection so as long as they don't rush this one they've already got my money.  

News Comments > Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters
29. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 12:26 Panickd

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:27:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:15:
Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:10:
I'm glad that keeping the servers in the hands of the devs/publishers does such wonderful things to help against cheating.
Not that much better on user maintained servers either.

I didn't say it was, but the "We can stop cheating!" is often the #1 reason given by shitty publishers for not including dedicated server software.

When you give out dedicated servers to the public you get the cream rising to the top too. Servers with crappy admins, or no admins are typically underpopulated while the good servers tend to build up good communities. I don't see that happening with a game like Titanfall where you can, at best, form a team that is dumped on a random server with some other random team. It's like modern MP game developers don't understand how gamers socializing in-game can lengthen the life of their titles anymore.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
22. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 12:17 Panickd

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:22:
Panickd wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 09:27:
As for them stopping using UPS, FedEx is just as shit. If you want any sort of guaranteed delivery of an unmolested package from either of them you need to pay through the nose for it. The "next day by 10am" packages are literally handled by hand from person to person. Every thing else is shuttled down conveyors and sometimes drop kicked into trucks, especially around XMas time.

The next day by 10am package goes across the same conveyors, flies on the same aircraft and gets put in the same trucks by the exact same people as all the other packages. The only difference is that the courier knows that that package (and the few others with that shipping label) need to be delivered first, no matter how far out of his normal route it is.

If you had any idea about the volume of shipments FedEx and UPS (and in Europe: DHL) handle, you'd realize that handing packages over "hand to hand" is simply impossible. (Unless you want to pay for the old "briefcase chained to the wrist" kinda service.) It HAS to go on conveyors and through automatic sorting systems in order for them to be able to handle the insane amount of packages they deal with.

I worked for DHL in Holland and got to visit their main European sorting center in Belgium one evening. You basically can't comprehend how many shipments they deal with. It's hundreds of thousands of shipments PER HOUR during the night. They had 140 cargo planes flying out of their own airfield during that night.

There is just no way of doing that by hand. So yeah, that does lead to scuffed packages etc. Which is why they always say to wrap your package well, and basically not to ship anything that's fragile.

I worked for FedEx in three different capacities. And no the overnight stuff doesn't travel down the same conveyors, at least not at FedEx. Any overnight stuff gets scanned and then bumped off the main line so that they could make absolutely sure it made it to the proper plane at the proper time. Everything else is just "best effort" delivery but the overnight stuff was such a massive profit center that it was taken very seriously. By hand may have been an exaggeration but I assure you it's not far from the truth. Granted I can't speak for DHL or UPS who handle a lot more volume than FedEx on any given day.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 09:27 Panickd

nin wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 09:08:
Canceled mine, but I have it until July. We'll see if it elicits the same sort of response the last netflix price hike got.

As someone elsewhere posted, I'd rather just drop amazon streaming video from the package, to offset the price. Also, if they're going to charge for two day shipping, they need to stop using UPS smartpost, as those dumbfucks can't deliver shit.

I'm still on board for $99 a year. It's a damn site better that the $120-140 a year they were talking about boosting it to. And I use them to ship enough crap that it makes a difference.

As for them stopping using UPS, FedEx is just as shit. If you want any sort of guaranteed delivery of an unmolested package from either of them you need to pay through the nose for it. The "next day by 10am" packages are literally handled by hand from person to person. Every thing else is shuttled down conveyors and sometimes drop kicked into trucks, especially around XMas time.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: ER doctors use Google Glass and QR codes to identify patients Mar 13, 2014, 09:18 Panickd

Great so instead of being "just a number with insurance" you're now "just a QR code with insurance". And now your doctor looks like a Borg.  

News Comments > Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters
2. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 09:13 Panickd

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 09:10:
Why bother with aim bots just use the smart pistol!

The drunk's weapon of choice.

I hope Respawn is better at dealing with cheaters that DICE. "Oh you've been caught cheating for the 8th time? We'll just reset your stats again and you can go on cheating to your heart's content."

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 12, 2014, 17:11 Panickd

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 09:42:
"No new Windows 7 PCs after October."
Wow Microshaft is getting really desperate to push sales on that turd Win8.
Wonder how long before they will cut off support on Win7, probably a lot sooner than XP was.

Meh, Windows 8 isn't all that bad. If they'd just suck it up and put the frakking start menu back into the desktop side and let all of us who don't have touchscreens ignore the Metro side it would be a worth the upgrade. But this whole, "we're changing things just to change them" thing is getting old. You don't have that much power anymore Microsoft, time to knuckle under.

RoboNerd wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 14:44:
Re: No new Windows 7 PCs after October

Wonder why Win 7 Pro was not included in this deadline? Computer

Because businesses give Microsoft an enormous amount of money and tend to standardize around a particular OS. They don't upgrade to the latest and greatest every cycle. MS had a bitch of a time getting them off of XP. Most have moved to Win 7 and MS is going to have to come up with some good ROI reasons for them to move on from that so soon.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
39. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 20:37 Panickd

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 19:15:
Panickd wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 14:23:
I am sure some brilliant game designer somewhere is going to come up with an idea that will absolutely require a cloud

As being said here, they are just confusing shit that already had names with the wondrous name "Cloud". The brilliant designers that have Company Run Dedicated Servers (CeRDS's why not) are still doing the same things but the platform has been rebranded to the user friendly name "Cloud". Titanfall is using the power of the server to manage the online parts a secured game needs, like any other game using dedicated servers, like all mmo's. So there is power that the cloud is doing, it is, but it's nothing new at all. But they word it like they are giving you something new, it's just PR hype, you've been had by a PR dept. Don't worry you are not the first.

I have to sit through our CIO wowing crowds with Cloud talk, which I know underneath all that is the same old servers, with some old and new apps being served to the users. That serving is now called "Cloud", ohhhh. It is still servers and clients, how much you use of each is always variable.

Hence "cloud" being in quotes in my first comment.

News Comments > More Elder Scroll Online Invites
3. Re: More Elder Scroll Online Invites Mar 11, 2014, 20:32 Panickd

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 19:20:
I just want to believe people are smarter then being lured by a Monkey Pet.

So this beta has no new content like the last didn't? If so, am I reading this right? Perhaps due to low turnout last time they weren't able to stress the system as much as they wanted. So this time they are asking us nicely to help stress and giving us a Monkey?

The monkey is for anyone who has played in the beta at all. So anyone who was "invited", which at this point is pretty much anyone who bothered to fill out their beta form, and all the brain damaged folks that pre-ordered the game.

I've got to say this is among the most boring MMO's I have ever tried to play. It's slow, the leveling is a grindfest and it's got the same kind of cookie cutter quests as every other MMO out there. It's made worse by the fact that no one at Bethesda has heard of "instancing" so that everyone on the same quest as you are all very visibly doing the same shit you are. Just wandering around the continent is more fun than actually playing the game or progressing.

I can't believe they actually intend to charge a monthly fee for this.

News Comments > CryENGINE Linux Support Announced
4. Re: CryENGINE Linux Support Announced Mar 11, 2014, 20:22 Panickd

Draugr wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 19:32:
Especially if you're a star citizen backer intending to play the linux version, heh.

Play Star Citizen! That's funny! You're Funny!

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 14:23 Panickd

Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 13:33:
Panickd wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 12:55:
It seems like they built a "cloud" for the XBone without ever giving any real thought as to what it would be used for.

errr... Azure was around quite awhile before the Xbone showed up, and it's making Microsoft shitloads of money.

If you already have a perfectly valid cloud environment (at least until your moron administrators forget to renew the certificates again), why not link your Xbox environment to it? That just makes sense.

So, no, they didn't "build a cloud" for Xbone.

At the same time, all the shit that Microsoft pretends the cloud can do is just that: Shit. Horseshit to be more precise.

I should have phrased that "Microsoft built the XBone to use the cloud without giving any real thought to what it would be used for." I'm well aware that Azure is used for business purposes. A few months ago we pushed our mail server to Azure.

I am sure some brilliant game designer somewhere is going to come up with an idea that will absolutely require a cloud and use it to it's fullest extent but to shoehorn something trivial into a package and then go "It's essential to the experience" when you know that's bullshit and you did it just to keep Microsoft off your back is just stupid. It doesn't do anyone any favors.

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 13:27 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 13:25:
nin wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 09:41:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 09:33:
BitWraith wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 09:02:
If it's "absolutely essential", how can it possibly be running on the PC?

Shhh, it is the power of the magic cloud Raincloud

I'm not seeing a huge bounce in console sales...

What about a trendline over the past month, or since the beta? I would think people would have stocked up early if they were anticipating playing this.

Not if they were waiting for the bundle to get Titanfall for "free". That is where the mythical "bounce" is supposed to come from.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 13:24 Panickd

BitWraith wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 09:02:
If it's "absolutely essential", how can it possibly be running on the PC?

Apparently it's as online only as SimCity was. Because, you know, you could never possibly run SimCity without being connected to the internet. I can only assume the AI in Titanfall is such a massive leap up from what we're used to that mere gaming PCs cannot possibly handle all the computations.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 12:55 Panickd

It seems like they built a "cloud" for the XBone without ever giving any real thought as to what it would be used for. And then when game developers looked and went, "Yeah, we don't really need that" Microsoft said, "Nope. We built it already so you need to use it for something!"

EA is already talking up how the Titanfall sequel probably won't be an Xbox One exclusive because they thought Microsoft was just going to stomp Sony in the Next Gen beauty pageant and that didn't happen. So that right there tells you how "absolutely essential" the cloud is to the game.

20. Re: Console Crisis Mar 10, 2014, 13:35 Panickd

Pigeon wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 10:24:
Is there a compelling reason to upgrade if you already have a PS3 and/or 360? Looks like a lot of the big titles that are releasing on the xbone and ps4 are also releasing on the last gen, and not looking that much different. I got a PS4, but the last console I owned was a PS1, so I don't really have a perspective if there's a good reason to upgrade right now.

A) It's not upgrading, it's buying a new system. They are different concepts.

B) The new generation is only a few months old. It's normal for the new games on a new system to look remarkably like the later games on the last gen system. Go and compare the PS4 games to the PS3 stuff that was shipping in 2006 and tell me they don't look much different.

There is always little reason to buy a new console right out of the gate unless you've got nothing better to spend money on. Most of the games are extremely derivative of the previous generation with the majority shipping on those previous gen systems as well. It's never worth it until something ships that you feel you must play and can't get any other way. Even Titanfall won't be to total windfall that Microsoft is hoping for it to be for the XBox One since it's shipping for PC and the 360.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 9, 2014, 15:33 Panickd

Alamar wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 13:05:
Holy crap... Dark Souls III is already on the list... : )

-Alamar

Must be part of Steam's new Early, Early, Early Access program. "Now you can pay for the game before the developer even thinks to make it!"

579 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo