Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xander Lohr

Real Name Xander Lohr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Panickd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's far too late for me to be anything I'm not.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2011, 19:03
Total Comments 576 (Apprentice)
User ID 57051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details
34. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 16:40 Panickd

Darks wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 16:16:
Not understanding why you guys are so dead set against the game. I get that you many donít want to play it. But forming opinions about a beta that does not represent the final product is kind of strange to me. How can you guys claim to like Skyrim and not like this? What is not fun about exploring Tamriel? The entire island!

When they're launching the game so close to the "beta" period in which a lot of things were unbalanced and broken, just how much fixing do you think they can do in such a short period? Areas that should be instanced but aren't, areas that are inexplicably instanced with no reason given why they should be, unresponsive NPCs that you need to talk to in order to continue quests, glacially slow character progression and a truly uninspired battle system are all still there despite their supposed "testing" and "feedback".
I think some are forming opinions about early beta releases. But much of that has changed since then.

Too many here are ready to claim this game as dead and itís not even launched yet. To me thatís Confusing. Anyway, I donít think it will go free to play; this is not a small time company thatís going to toss in the towel so quickly. Yea eventually it may go free to play. But not for at least 2 or more years.

EA/Bioware? Star Wars? Sound familiar? I don't think Bethesda will throw the towel in quickly but at some point they're going to have to come up with another way to make money from this thing that doesn't involve getting people to pay a monthly fee for it. Those days are dead and gone and took many better games with them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details
28. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 16:14 Panickd

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 15:38:
This game is just awful. Definitely F2P within the year. Probably 6 months.

It's pretty bad. And just boring as all hell. I don't know how they managed to make a WoW clone with more realistic graphics and suck the fun out of it but they managed it. If it stays anything like its current state I wouldn't even waste my time on it in F2P. I had loads more fun in Neverwinter (well, for the month it took me to chug through all the official content anyway) and I never spent dime one on that.

News Comments > New Titanfall Game Modes Coming
26. Re: New Titanfall Game Modes Coming Mar 26, 2014, 16:10 Panickd

MajorD wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 15:20:
Panickd wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 14:26:
MajorD wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 11:28:
.....and to think some people complain about Indies releasing pre-release Alphas.

And how is that nonsense related in any way to Titanfall? Color me confused. Confused

I was just being snide. The fact that a AAA title like Titanfall didn't ship with these announced modes in the first place, it would come across that the game was shipped incomplete to meet scheduled released dates dictated by the BIG publisher called EA.

So, in a roundabout way I was comparing the above to Indies pre-releasing games as Alphas (in complete games), of which the buyer is made very aware of before placing their order.

Again, just a snide comment is all......

Ahh, lol. So what you're saying is that Titanfall is par for the AAA course then.

But you have to give them credit for getting it as complete as it is in only two years. And they have to have some features to crow about for the inevitable annual sequel.

News Comments > New Titanfall Game Modes Coming
18. Re: New Titanfall Game Modes Coming Mar 26, 2014, 14:26 Panickd

MajorD wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 11:28:
.....and to think some people complain about Indies releasing pre-release Alphas.

And how is that nonsense related in any way to Titanfall? Color me confused. Confused

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
34. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 13:54 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 12:54:
Panickd wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 12:40:
Beamer wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 12:21:
BitWraith wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 11:34:
Shit man, when did humanity become some cynical.

The guy is one of the great, classic game creators. Show some flipping respect.

George Lucas is an asshat, but he'll always have made Star Wars. In the same vein, Peter will always have been the head of Bullfrog.

I'd give you this argument up to and including Fable.
Many of the people here were saying the same things about him around Fable, because he jumped to a platform and they felt betrayed and were being bitter children.

In the long run, though, either they were right in that he had lost it or they were wrong to be infuriated that he left. Because his track record since, especially since Milo, has been pretty miserable.

I think the problem with Molyneux is that he was so good for so long. Nearly everything he touched was golden for a long while and now people expect that from him. And when he creates something that's just very good but doesn't rise to the level of greatness or (god forbid) fumbles something once in awhile because he was trying something different, he gets trashed ruthlessly. The funny thing is, I really don't think he gives a shit. If he cared about the haters he'd stop talking, pontificating and trying the new things.

What has he done since arguably Fable, arguably B&W, definitely Dungeon Keeper, that qualifies as "very good?"
I'd say nothing past Dungeon Keeper is "very good." B&W was interesting but flawed, the Fable series is alright but forgettable, same with The Movies, and everything else is gibberish.

That's nearly a 20 year streak of "just alright."

I would argue that the original B&W and The Movies qualify as "very good" despite being flawed. They were products that were trying something new and taking old genre ideas into new areas. Hell, Syndicate was flawed, but I still spent days of my life playing it. Ditto Powermonger. Since when does someone have to knock everything they try to do out of the park to be worthy of some respect for their past accomplishments? Hell, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin only went to the moon once! But no one is going up to Buzz Aldrin these days and going, "Yeah, but what have you done lately?"

25. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 12:40 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 12:21:
BitWraith wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 11:34:
Shit man, when did humanity become some cynical.

The guy is one of the great, classic game creators. Show some flipping respect.

George Lucas is an asshat, but he'll always have made Star Wars. In the same vein, Peter will always have been the head of Bullfrog.

I'd give you this argument up to and including Fable.
Many of the people here were saying the same things about him around Fable, because he jumped to a platform and they felt betrayed and were being bitter children.

In the long run, though, either they were right in that he had lost it or they were wrong to be infuriated that he left. Because his track record since, especially since Milo, has been pretty miserable.

I think the problem with Molyneux is that he was so good for so long. Nearly everything he touched was golden for a long while and now people expect that from him. And when he creates something that's just very good but doesn't rise to the level of greatness or (god forbid) fumbles something once in awhile because he was trying something different, he gets trashed ruthlessly. The funny thing is, I really don't think he gives a shit. If he cared about the haters he'd stop talking, pontificating and trying the new things.

23. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 12:30 Panickd

harlock wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 12:19:
Panickd wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 11:43:
And what boundless achievements glow so brightly on your resume that warrants you being able to pass judgement on anyone?

you dont have the clearance for that information

Indeed. Well played, sir.

16. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 11:43 Panickd

harlock wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 11:33:
this is what is known as "sour grapes"

molyneux is a sad little man

Yes, a sad little man that created Populous and Black & White and Magic Carpet and Syndicate. Some of the defining games in PC gaming.

And what boundless achievements glow so brightly on your resume that warrants you being able to pass judgement on anyone?

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 24, 2014, 22:19 Panickd

Cutter wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 21:27:
Yeah, well good luck with that Kenny me boy. Let Molyneux know how that works out, lol!

Molyneux has a history of dreaming big and not quite meeting what he sets out to. Levine's history is much more grounded. I'm very interested in seeing whatever he does next, whether he goes whole hog with the new approach or not. I appreciate it when people stick their necks out for their art. It's the only thing that can move the form forward.

News Comments > Free AC4 Maps Thanks to Microtransactions
8. Re: Free AC4 Maps Thanks to Microtransactions Mar 24, 2014, 22:11 Panickd

Rossafur wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 15:33:
Remember back when community-made maps (and mods) ended up surpassing official maps in popularity, and it didn't split up the community because anyone could download them, for free? Blue's News remembers! *wanders off to go wax nostalgic about Lithium II and Loki's Minions CTF for Quake 2 and all the maps I made for Quake 1* Wonder if I can still find those and bots that play them...

That actually made me remember when we got BF1942 maps for free with patches but with BF3/4 you don't get them if you don't pay for the DLC. Fuck microtransactions.

News Comments > Free AC4 Maps Thanks to Microtransactions
1. Re: Free AC4 Maps Thanks to Microtransactions Mar 24, 2014, 13:34 Panickd

So it doesn't make sense to split the community in AC4 but it made perfect sense in the three previous games? Cut the bullshit. The community has been asking for this from the day the first for pay DLC map pack rolled out and you finally acceded. Don't walk around strutting like it was your idea.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: After DNS change fails, Turkish government steps up Twitter censorship Mar 24, 2014, 13:30 Panickd

That headline should read, "Turkish government doesn't understand how the Internet works."  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 21, 2014, 12:46 Panickd

Pigeon wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 10:11:
Well I don't really understand the twitch thing either, but I guess its like facebook for gamers.

I watch a few Twitch streams on a regular basis and have participated in a few MP matches that were streamed by others. I think what drives Twitch is the same thing that has made YouTube "Let's Play" videos so popular. It's entertaining to watch people do things that you like to do. What else could account for the popularity of fishing shows and watching people play golf?

News Comments > Free to Play - Dota 2 Documentary Released
3. Re: Free to Play - Dota 2 Documentary Released Mar 19, 2014, 15:17 Panickd

Wraith wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 15:11:
Christ who gives a fuck. Stop making wanky home movies about yourselves and finish Half Life, you cunts.

Like anyone there is working on the next Half-life anymore. Once they learned they could take 30% of everyone else's game sales through Steam and make hundreds of millions selling hats and weapons and emoticons and then take a cut whenever users sell them to other users, they got out of the Half-life business. Until they can figure out how to make you pay for keys in HL3 they've likely shelved it.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2014, 15:13 Panickd

WaltC wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 13:45:
This article is classified as "stupid filler crapola" designed to generate page hits, imo.

Perhaps Ars will write one about the "perfect" woman: 3 feet tall with a flat head and no teeth...;)

Lots of that going on at Ars since they sold out to Conde Nast. Sound and fury signifying nothing.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 19, 2014, 13:22 Panickd

This only covers what they earn at the actual tournaments. I bet the best make more on endorsements. Fatal1ty didn't earn jack last year but his tag shows up on mice, sound cards, motherboards and anything else a company will pay him to put it on.

Apparently if you want to make any real money in a "tournament" you've gotta play Dota 2 now.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2014, 13:13 Panickd

So what does that say about girls that like those same games but are still girls (as opposed to being some crew cut lesbian)? And I'm pretty sure they were cherry picking the games that proved their point. I can recall plenty of FPS games where characters displayed real fear against overwhelming odds and had emotional states other than that of the stone faced killer. Just because it's the easy way out doesn't mean that every designer takes it.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Mar 18, 2014, 18:57 Panickd

PropheT wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 18:31:
EA winning this like they have speaks more about the gaming community than it does about them. It makes gamers look like spoiled brats if EA wins this annually when up against companies on the list that are doing things that actually ruin people's lives and damage communities.

And, like I said, the bracket is meaningless. None of the companies that have been featured on it have ever done thing one to fix their shitty public images, and they still make tons of money so they have no impetus to change.

9. Re: etc., etc. Mar 18, 2014, 18:53 Panickd

Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 17:58:
What a joke. Everyone and their dog knows Apple is the worst...in the world.

When Steve was running the show I would have agreed with you because he was an ass who only cared about profit but since he's been dead I think Tim Cook has been trying hard to bring Apple out of the darkness. And that's all without anyone making threats to Apple's bottom line.

1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 18, 2014, 17:42 Panickd

I love the "worst company in America" brackets because people actually believe it means anything to be called the worst. Comcast is shit but rakes in billions every year. The same could be said of Activision, EA, AT&T and a whole raft of other corporations.

Shitty customer service? Shady business practices? Treat your employees like trash? Don't worry, none of your customers really care. You'll still rake in billions! Why would any of these companies stop their crappy behavior when it would actually cost them money to do so and eat into the massive profits they're making? "I know Comcast is the worst company in history and their CEO bathes in the blood of kittens, but I need my cable TV, so...."

576 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo