Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xander Lohr

Real Name Xander Lohr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Panickd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's far too late for me to be anything I'm not.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2011, 19:03
Total Comments 576 (Apprentice)
User ID 57051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Google Is About To Take Over Your Whole Life, And You Won't Even Notice Jul 2, 2014, 09:49 Panickd

Classic example of an attention grabbing headline with nothing in the article to back it up. Great "journalism"!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Thief Film Plans
3. Re: Thief Film Plans Jul 2, 2014, 09:37 Panickd

This might be one of the most moronic ideas for a film adaption I've ever heard. You could just make a movie about a thief in a medieval/fantasy setting but no, that won't do. There isn't any previous IP there. So instead they'll pay lots of money for a generic name and then rewrite it so that nothing that happened in the games has anything whatsoever to do with the movie adaption.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 27, 2014, 10:23 Panickd

Task wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 09:52:
Here is a picture to go along with drone war crimes. When you detach them from reality, then they can avoid consequences of their actions from killing people, of feelings of remorse or apathy. Obama in his infinite well of hypocrisy thinks its a joke, "watch out, we'll drone you."

Hate to break it to you but this has been how wars are fought for many years now. Pilots don't engage in "whites of their eyes" dog fights anymore. In fact a lot of times they'll fire a missile from 100 miles out and never see the opposition. Bomber pilots drop precision munitions from miles up where they can't even make out the structures on the ground and then they fly back to their home base which is thousands of miles from the battlefield. Pilotless aircraft were always the next logical step in the evolution of aerial warfare.

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
33. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 20:00 Panickd

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 18:52:
I don't want to see Crytek disappear, as I much prefer CryEngine to Unreal Engine, but the company needs to substantially restructure itself to remain relevant. I just hope this doesn't impact Star Citizen.

Meh, even if they go under the engine will almost certainly live on with some other company. And it might be better if things go that route, frankly. 800 employees is a bit insane for a company that's not just constantly pounding out hit AAA titles.

News Comments > Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins
5. Re: Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins Jun 22, 2014, 15:04 Panickd

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 13:19:
I wonder how he'd feel about piracy if the game was selling for $60?

How does the price of the product correlate at all with the creator's desire to be open and generous?

News Comments > Gearbox Community Day 2013 Digital Bonus Pack Returns
3. Re: Gearbox Community Day 2013 Digital Bonus Pack Returns Jun 20, 2014, 18:51 Panickd

Why the fuck would anyone pay real money for this? Besides getting lucky with Borderlands (and fucking over Sega in the process) what has ever come out of Gearbox that would warrant this?  

News Comments > Play PC Titanfall for Free
15. Re: Play PC Titanfall for Free Jun 20, 2014, 10:47 Panickd

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 10:21:
Whatever happened to all the posts proclaiming TitanFall as the greatest FPS ever created? Anecdotal, yes, but I don't know a single person that is still playing more than a match or two a week.

It's fun until you master all the game mechanics. Once you do you begin to see how thin the game really is and it gets old fast. Titanfall is the start of a good idea that was released as-is. I expect it to be one of those yearly or biennial releases that just adds to the core concept as the years wear on.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Patched; PC Graphics Explained
7. Re: Watch Dogs Patched; PC Graphics Explained Jun 20, 2014, 10:15 Panickd

BitWraith wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 09:41:
Yeah I call BS. So what if it affects performance. Make it a toggle in the options and move on. I have lots of games with options that affect performance.

If they did that you'd be going, "I toggle this higher quality setting that I know my machine can run and it makes my game crash! This is bullshit! FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT!"

Frankly Watch Dogs in more than enough unstable as it is. If they can add these settings back in later, after they get the game running acceptably as they released it, then great. And if not disabling the options doesn't get anyone's hopes up. They should have just pulled them completely but they were probably long forgotten about.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
18. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 14:29 Panickd

I thought I heard my wallet screaming in agony this morning. Weird!  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2014, 13:18 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:07:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 09:34:
To be clear, the BN group has been a positive experience, but every interaction with pubs has been very negative....it has been the definition of console pricks.

Maybe the Heists will be available when the PC version is, and the quality of player will be improved?

I honestly don't like the way they've done GTA Online. Making everything persistent was a terrible idea for the kind of people that play GTA in multiplayer. You get XP (or "RP", fucking Rockstar) for killing someone and then more for evading the police that come looking for you after your blood-soaked rampage? Gee I wonder why Los Santos is full of virtual psychopaths? The only reason to play with pubs is if you're looking to add that bit "will I or won't I get shot at random" edge to your experience.

In a lot of ways GTA Online has exactly the same problem as DayZ and all the bullshit survival games. There isn't any point in trusting anyone you don't know so you might as well open fire on them because if you don't they're probably going to kill you. If they plan to make the "heists" happen on open servers half the crew will be shot in random drive-by's before the heist even gets underway.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Countdown
25. Re: Team Fortress 2 Countdown Jun 17, 2014, 18:47 Panickd

Wildone wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 12:06:
Its not happening, why bother when this rakes in the $$. Valve has gotten very fat, and very lazy.

Creston wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 11:30:
TF3 announcement. Out "soon!" (ie, 2022)

Yes. How dare anyone reap the rewards of their work! It's un-American!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2014, 17:05 Panickd

"Hey we put wireless chargers that virtually no one uses in our shops!"
They forget to mention how there are APIs tied to the charging system they chose that allow them to push ads on users and track the phones that use them. Not that they can't already do that with wi-fi and bluetooth which I'm sure the yuppie Starbucks crowd is always leaving on.

News Comments > Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification
4. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 10:45 Panickd

Pr()ZaC wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:58:
...just...lol...
Most of the Macs use Intel integrated graphics, so it really isn't a platform to consider :p

If you're looking at total sales overall or even just total home sales overall of PCs you'll find that this is true for nearly all of them. Very few OEM machines come with dedicated graphics cards in them.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 11, 2014, 11:19 Panickd

Pigeon wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:14:
I can't speak for the rest of the western world outside of the US, but this one of the weirdest things about our society. Some pretty extreme violence is okay, but sex in media is the worst thing ever. We can watch hours of football players bash the crap out of each other and call it wholesome family entertainment, but half a second of Janet Jackson's nipple and the whole country loses its shit.

Or in the case of Mass Effect whole planets can get horrifically murdered and mutilated by a race of malevolent techno-organic beings, but you have a short scene where two of the characters make alien love and you've got pundits on FOX frothing at the mouth because the youth is being poisoned with immoral filth.

I sometimes think its because it's easier for governments and religions to use violence to their own gains than it is for them to use sex.

In the US I think it's a matter of the country being so big that different things matter in different regions. On the coasts, for example, people generally have no problem with sex but they don't like over the top violence. The middle of the country, which is most of it, has the issue with sex but doesn't mind the violence or swearing. Down south they don't care for swear words, especially "goddamn".

I do find it funny that the same company that owns Fox News are the ones airing things like Family Guy. It shows how much they really care about what their pundits talk about.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2014, 17:56 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 11:12:
Panickd wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 10:06:
Prez wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 09:41:
Ubisoft holding back an unannounced, finished Wii U game until console sells more.

Obviously they don't think it's a system seller!

That makes no fucking sense. Why spend the money and waste a dev teams time to complete a game only to shelve it? Isn't it selling some copies better than making nothing on it at all?

No. Not if you think that there's a good chance the system will sell a ton more.
If you release today, you'll sell a certain amount, then the game will be discounted a ton, then it will be forgotten as an old game.
If you release in a year, assuming there are significantly more consoles out there, all those numbers increase accordingly.

So, if you think the Wii U will sell 2x the consoles in 2014 as it has to date, then you'll double your sales. Yes, you're actually losing money holding on to the game, but if you think you'll make more than that back due to increased Wii U sales, it's worth while. Then there's also the sequel potential, which needs systems in order to justify the franchise as well.

Conversely if the Wii U doesn't sell a ton more systems Ubi has just told the dev team that built the game to go fuck themselves because they can put it on a resume but no one will ever know how good it actually was. The Wii U has had a lot of time to catch some traction. If it hasn't sold enough systems by now to justify a game release why even bother shelling out the bones to make one? Short of a huge price cut Nintendo is selling all the Wii U's it's likely to sell.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2014, 10:06 Panickd

Prez wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 09:41:
Ubisoft holding back an unannounced, finished Wii U game until console sells more.

Obviously they don't think it's a system seller!

That makes no fucking sense. Why spend the money and waste a dev teams time to complete a game only to shelve it? Isn't it selling some copies better than making nothing on it at all?

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall
15. Re: Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall Jun 10, 2014, 09:53 Panickd

Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 09:02:
Awesome, the mods for this are going to be nuts.

SP mods are bound to appear and be awesome but the online component of GTA V is pretty heavily controlled by Rockstar. You're not just connecting to someone else's single server as in GTA IV and everything carries forward with your character. So I'd say seeing mods for the MP part of the game is going to be out of the question unless you want to get dumped into the dunce camp with the other "cheaters".

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. AT&T promises big fiber expansion—but only if feds let it buy DirecTV. Jun 5, 2014, 11:07 Panickd

Fuck AT&T. Yeah we'll totally build out our network to the benefit of our customers if we get what we want. Otherwise our customers can go fuck themselves.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 1, 2014, 18:56 Panickd

Fantaz wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 17:01:
has anyone tried playing The Forest early access? checked out a few min of gameplay on Pewdiepie's channel. i really wanna try it!

As a general rule I avoid the early access games so I can't get tired of them before they're even ready to be released. I agree the YouTube videos I have seen look good but I'm still going to wait for them to finish it (or at least get to a "feature complete" stage, not that that means much in games these days).

3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2014, 10:16 Panickd

I've read at least three big articles on various sites that go over the differences in 4GB, 8GB and 16GB memory configurations in PC gaming and they all came up with "4GB is plenty but memory is so cheap why not go with 8GB even though it won't do anything for your frame rates". In one article the writer even dropped his memory as low as 1GB just to see if things would run and upped it from there. A surprising number of game titles run even with that (with much thrashing of the swap file, of course). Crysis 2 even launched with only 2GB in the machine which is below their "required" specifications. You really don't need more than 8GB unless you're regularly editing video or photoshopping a lot. That said, I still run 16GB as an absolute minimum these days because, reasons.

For machines with video chips that are so low powered that developers are having issues pulling 1080p out of them consistently, I think 8GB (or the 5 or 6GB that is left after the OS takes its chunk) is plenty for the next gen consoles. Maybe when the next-next-gen comes along with 4K gaming we'll need to see 16GB+.

576 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo