Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xander Lohr

Real Name Xander Lohr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Panickd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's far too late for me to be anything I'm not.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2011, 19:03
Total Comments 523 (Apprentice)
User ID 57051

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 11, 2013, 19:04 Panickd

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 13:41:
Rockstar served cease and desist letter by rapper over GTA 5 song use. Dillinger going all gangsta with the lawyers.

It is my understanding he doesn't own the rights......soooo......even if he does, they don't have to do either thing they are asking, they can just remove it with a patch.

If he doesn't own the rights they don't even have to do that. They can just ignore him for being a moron and not understanding the wording in his contracts. There is literally no way Rockstar spent $266 million on this game and didn't secure every license for every song and then have those licenses checked at least a half dozen times over.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 11, 2013, 16:50 Panickd

mag wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 16:36:
Does the 360 have any decent non-FPS games that aren't either available on the PC or PS3?

Pretty much any kinect game...

But outside of that most of their exclusives do tend towards first person or third person shooters.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 11, 2013, 13:44 Panickd

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 11:44:
Define "cheap."

'Cause they're not THAT cheap.

Also: Half a million bucks for my GTA Online character? I think I better make a second one to prepare.

Your online characters share the same bank account so you'll get the same half million regardless.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 10, 2013, 17:11 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 16:39:
Panickd wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 13:35:
Darks wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 12:25:
You guys can laugh and make joke about this all you want, but itís really depressing when you read about this. This is exactly why our economy is like it is. There is no way to compete with this type of slave labor and exactly why the Chinese are taking away our jobs.

It's not really that depressing. There was a time when the US economy ran on a similar system. Kids worked in extremely dangerous jobs with no regulations governing safety. Eventually we decided that things shouldn't be that way and they changed. They'll eventually change in China too.

As for the whole "they're taking away our jobs" thing, do you really want to work in a factory pressing together plastic nick knacks for minimum wage? It's like the whole immigration debate. Most of those jobs are the ones Americans have gotten too high and mighty to lower themselves to do. We don't want to harvest our own food or clean our own hotel rooms and unless you're going to pay us $40 an hour we don't want to assemble our own electronic geegaws.

So, to answer your points:
- Yes, the US was once like this. The government helped end that. Sure, lots of idiots whined about "nanny states" and such, but the government worked to end this kind of thing. Net result: we rapidly grew a middle class (which we're now eroding.) The Chinese government isn't really helping balance this the way the US government was.
- Unemployment in the US is highest amongst blue collar employees. In fact, it's about twice the unemployment rate. So yes, losing the crappy manufacturing jobs that paid minimum wage has been detrimental, and middle america is full of unskilled laborers that would absolutely love to have one of these jobs.

Your talk of things we're "too high and mighty" for is complete BS. Yes, your college grad, and we have more than ever, does not want to do this. But go drive out to the middle of Kentucky or Ohio, where college isn't as common, and look at all the people who have no career options beyond manager at McDonald's or Kroger. Those people would kill, and I mean kill, for a good manufacturing job.

You say that but every time a farmer has put out a call for help to harvest how many American citizens do you think show up? The answer is a meager handful even in the face of high unemployment and nowhere near what is needed for the job. The same is true of food packing plants. It's shitty, absolutely brutally back breaking work and Americans, even unemployed Americans, don't want to do it so a huge number of illegals end up doing it instead. I don't doubt there are some jobs that have gone overseas that would be greatly appreciated in the US, but then we'd all be paying more for our stuff and Americans have spoken on that front too. We don't care where our stuff comes from as long as it's not terribly expensive. Welcome to free market capitalism.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 10, 2013, 13:35 Panickd

Darks wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 12:25:
You guys can laugh and make joke about this all you want, but itís really depressing when you read about this. This is exactly why our economy is like it is. There is no way to compete with this type of slave labor and exactly why the Chinese are taking away our jobs.

It's not really that depressing. There was a time when the US economy ran on a similar system. Kids worked in extremely dangerous jobs with no regulations governing safety. Eventually we decided that things shouldn't be that way and they changed. They'll eventually change in China too.

As for the whole "they're taking away our jobs" thing, do you really want to work in a factory pressing together plastic nick knacks for minimum wage? It's like the whole immigration debate. Most of those jobs are the ones Americans have gotten too high and mighty to lower themselves to do. We don't want to harvest our own food or clean our own hotel rooms and unless you're going to pay us $40 an hour we don't want to assemble our own electronic geegaws.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 10, 2013, 12:14 Panickd

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 12:02:
InBlack wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 10:56:
Pigeon wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 10:45:
If only big-brother wouldn't regulate our labor industry we wouldn't have to outsource so many jobs to China forcing them to enslave their own population to make cheap products for the rest of the world Rolleyes

Its seems like every electronics manufacturer in China has some pretty horrid conditions/practices. Who isn't doing something like this over there?

Im sorry but thats the price of rampant free-market Capitalism. The industry will shift its production to places where the labour is cheapest. Labour is cheapest in third world countries. Ironically this very practice propels those countries into the first world, while impoverishing the customer/consumer countries. Capitalism is not the be-all end all, Im sorry to say. Anyone who believes that is seriously misguided and doesnt want to read the writing on the wall.

There was a time we wouldn't do business with communistic countries because of this imbalance.

That was before we figured out that we can have our shiny crap for much cheaper if we just looked the other way. If we still held that policy our iPhones would cost $1500+ and what are we supposed to do? Not buy them? Come on! Be realistic!

News Comments > Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced
1. Re: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced Oct 8, 2013, 15:14 Panickd

Loved the original. I'm in as long as they don't price it like a triple-A title.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 30, 2013, 13:14 Panickd

Given that no one at the NSA seems to even follow the laws that are designed to reign them in I am of the opinion that it's time to shut down the NSA. The CIA is fully capable of doing foreign intel and the FBI has it covered domestically so I don't think having yet another group that is more secret than the first two is necessary or wise especially if they're not going to follow the law.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 13:10 Panickd

ASeven wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 12:48:
nin wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 12:23:
Anyone playing Castle Story? Impressions? I came close to backing it on KS, but wasn't sure how it would turn out.

Also, I think 7 is supposed to be Planetary Annihilation? I'd be curious about impressions for it as well.

According to the Kickstarter page and Steam Forums, Castle Story is smelling like a scam, with the devs having only recently releasing patches after a year of silence. Game was supposed to come out a year and a half ago and it seems the game is very lacking in promised features as well.

Scam or just a game developer over-promising? There clearly is something there because what they've released is "playable". Just because a small developer got in over their head doesn't equate to a scam. People complain about the lack of communication but would you rather have the developers spending their day answering every bitch and moan in the forums or work to complete and add to the game? People are so used to instant communication these days that any time someone doesn't answer their question within seconds of them asking it it must mean they're being ignored.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 29, 2013, 12:35 Panickd

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 12:23:
You have to download it, then install it, then delete the download right? One of the things that really hurt my impression of the PS3, and unless Sony really get's it's shit together with PSN, people will pay the extra 100 bucks for a One out of convenience.

And then don't forget that even when you buy it digitally it will still need to go out and download the latest patch the first time you try to launch it and depending on the game and your broadband speed that means you could be waiting an hour longer to play your game because it won't let you not download the patch.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 12:21 Panickd

State of Decay and Castle Story? Two games that aren't even finished yet? Wouldn't have called that. But I suppose nothing huge hit the PC this week.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 29, 2013, 12:16 Panickd

They put Uncharted 3 up as a PS+ freebie and that was a 40GB download. Started it overnight, was done by morning and have had zero problems playing it since. That being said I don't understand why anyone would've bought GTA V on the PSN digitally. You didn't get any discount for it (in fact it was cheaper to buy the disc based version from Amazon) and you had to know that it was going to be a big download and you had to know that there would be thousands of people attempting to pull it down all on day one. Even Steam gets crushed with day one releases and they've got a lot more experience with digital delivery than Sony does. Until they start offering discounts or other perks for digital purchases on consoles they simply aren't worth it.  

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 25, 2013, 12:25 Panickd

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 11:24:
Still the cost of it is so damn cheap compared to what EA would charge ya.

I still want a PS4, but I want the 360/180's controller

Having played on both the 360 and PS3's respective controllers I can honestly say I prefer the feel of the PS3's. The only thing wrong with the design was that if you ever have to push the two thumbsticks both inward your thumbs will end up banging into each other and screw up the movement. It looks like they moved the sticks further apart on the PS4 to fix that issue so I'm all in on the PS4. I'll probably own the XBone as well but it won't be a pressing purchase for me.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Microtransactions?
13. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Microtransactions? Sep 23, 2013, 23:39 Panickd

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 23:10:
PSA: If you are not in our group, or a friend, I will kill you and steal your money. Have a nice day.

PSA: If you are in my group or a friend, I will kill you and steal your money. Have a nice day. Daddy needs to get paid!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 23, 2013, 12:16 Panickd

I love watching the Rated RR guys put bullets through expensive, mostly Apple, electronics. Some people really don't get it. There is always someone in the comments going, "Why would you do that? Why not donate it to a school?"  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 17, 2013, 22:23 Panickd

Wow! Well that just came out of nowhere!  

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2013, 19:08 Panickd

Digitalfiend wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 11:37:
Those small visual differences between the PS3 and XBox releases is one of the reasons I never picked up (and missed out on) Red Dead Redemption. The PS3 version looked noticeably inferior to the XBox version...though admittedly LA Noire looked pretty good on it.

It seems like Sony really did an awesome job designing the PS4.

Unless you were running the XBox 360 version side by side with the PS3 version I doubt you would have noticed any issues with RDR. I've played it on the PS3 that I own and the XBox 360 at a friend's place and I didn't notice any quality issues between them that really stood out. It's a completely manufactured problem. Now the very irritating problems with Skyrim on the PS3 were an actual problem.

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't
24. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 12:50 Panickd

DangerDog wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:34:
"From the makers of Aliens Colonial Marines..."

At least this way the game should be around for a long time, most of these free-2-play attempts shutdown after a year.

That's precisely why devs like F2P. You spend a year developing it and let people play it early on and if it takes off you can iterate and improve it and if it doesn't you can move on to something else easily and see if the game consuming public will bite at that. It beats pouring millions of dollars and many years into a game only to have to shut down your studio because the game gets released too early by a greedy publisher and it's ratings tank. Or worse, having to shut down your studio because your game was a rocking hit with critics but everyone was too cheap to buy it new. For the amount of money and time they would spend on a single bet-the-farm retail release a developer can take 5 or 6 whacks at the F2P crowd.

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't
16. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 11:41 Panickd

Kedyn wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:28:
My only question is why isn't there 100 comments already about how excited people are for another Homeworld game?

Because Homeworld is 14 years old and was so unloved no one snapped it up in the first round of THQ's bankruptcy. The 1.35 million dollars that Gearbox paid for the rights was probably dug up in the cushions of Randy Pitchford's custom designed Borderlands couch. The fact that it sold for so little tells you how much no one cares about yet another spaceship strategy game. The code for the original game was released many years ago and no one did jack with it. How unloved does a game have to be for that to happen?

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2013, 14:05 Panickd

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 10:30:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 09:49:
Week 3 no Skyrim. The world is a darker place....

Well, I am fairly sure every human being on earth has a copy of Skyrim at this point.

I have 2. One on the PS3 and one on the PC. Buying it on the PS3 was a mistake but my kid seemed to like it.

I feel sorry for all the folks that bought Total War: Rome II. You can't blame them for pre-ordering given the track record of the devs of those games but it was an absolute trainwreck by most accounts.

523 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo