Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xander Lohr

Real Name Xander Lohr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Panickd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's far too late for me to be anything I'm not.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2011, 19:03
Total Comments 572 (Apprentice)
User ID 57051

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Hulu touts 2014 schedule for new original content. Jan 9, 2014, 15:46 Panickd

I'm sure viewers will be falling all over themselves to watch something that every network involved with Hulu passed on before Hulu said, "Well, Netflix and Amazon are making their own stuff so what the hell! It may not be good enough for TV but it's good enough for us!"  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week
14. Re: BBC: Valve VR SDK Next Week Jan 9, 2014, 15:42 Panickd

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:37:
If Valve has a monopoly then why do I have Origin, Uplay and the GoG Installer installed?

I am not sure anyone has ever claimed Steam to be a monopoly, just the biggest dog in the cage. Origin and UPlay have limited selection and are comically bad at this point and GoG mostly sells "classics" (though they are branching out). And no third party developers are working hard to tie their games into Origin or UPlay the way they do with Steam. Everything EA makes going forward will have hooks into Origin and everything Ubisoft puts out will have hooks into UPlay and pretty much everything else will continue to hook into Steam until one of the other players stops playing in the minor leagues and steps up in a big way. I don't see that happening anytime soon though.

News Comments > NASCAR '14 for PC Next Month
5. Re: NASCAR '14 for PC Next Month Jan 9, 2014, 15:16 Panickd

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 14:59:
Do I get a pit crew with guys named Skeeter and Cooter? Do I get crack ho southern trash flashing their saggy tits at me as I drive by? Do I get drunken redneck clowns driving monster truck 4x4's with rebel flags and shotgun racks in the inner field?

Shows what you know, Skeeter and Cooter are rival crew chiefs who wouldn't be caught dead workin' together!

The rest of your southern stereotyping seems accurate, however.

News Comments > Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum
14. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 11:25 Panickd

Necrophob wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:13:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 08:58:
6vs6 is going to be EPIC!
This game is on the wait and see list. The more details they release the less excited I get about it.

6 vs 6? It's so weird. Back in the early 2000's, I didn't play as many games or follow what was going on, due to college, but I seem to recall games supporting more and more players in multiplayer. At what point did the gaming world get hit by a massive meteor, wiping out all the progress that was made?

I'm not sure anything happened on that front. Games with massive amounts of players are still around. BF3 and 4 have some servers that support up to 64 players. And you know what happens on those servers? Chaos. Very little in the way of teamwork or squad support. You just start endlessly plugging away at anyone who shows up on your HUD as the other team until one team's ticket count drops to zero. 32 player GTA IV is possible on the PC and there too it turns into chaos.

If you're trying to design a game where teammates will want back each other up and cooperate to achieve a mutual goal it behooves you to limit your teams down to between 5-8 players per side. Otherwise you give the one jackhole who thinks he's playing normal deathmatch enough targets to think he doesn't have to play as part of the team, and then you get chaos.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
29. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 14:40 Panickd

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:54:
Panickd wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:48:
Half the time it's downloading updates to games that it's already updated but it doesn't matter because it won't let you play until it's downloaded that update for the umpteenth time!

That's actually not true. It's one of the very few things that Uplay does better than Steam. When there's an update to be downloaded, you can cancel the update, go offline, and play the game and it'll let you. I did that with Black Flag recently when yet another 1.5 GB update of a few skins for MP was released, and it worked fine.

Black Flag isn't really a full on UPlay title though. They've got a proper SP executable and an entirely separate MP executable and none of it is really tied to the UPlay interface (you don't need to drop into the overlay for any of the MP stuff). But I have found UPlay time and again downloading the very same patch for Black Flag again and again (not new content, the same stuff). And I know it got that patch last time because I played it with no problem before. It did the exact same thing for the latest Splinter Cell game until it invisibly decided that it didn't need to do it anymore. And Ubisoft's only "fix" for it has been "delete it and download the whole game again" which didn't fix it for Splinter Cell and I'm sure as hell not deleting Black Flag just to find out it didn't work there either. Playing "offline" works just fine for SP but it doesn't help when you're looking to get the MP going while it's downloading that patch it got yesterday. And god help you if you didn't disable their cloud save service and now want to play offline.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2014, 14:00 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:53:
Nobody Needs a New TV Anymore.

Yeah, I've got a 5 year old 42" LCD TV that still looks great. I admire the larger, thinner sets (Mine's about 3" thick), but they don't really offer anything so great that I feel the need to toss down $1000 to replace a perfectly functioning device.

Also, Mom has my 23" CRT TV in her bedroom that I gave her when I moved out 20 years ago. Still looks and works fine, even after 20 years of daily use. TVs are solid state with no moving parts, so as long as they're properly ventilated, they ought to last.

I would agree with you on older CRT sets and newer LED LCD sets but older LCD sets have CCFL backlights that won't last forever and the cheaper sets that you'll find at places like Best Buy with their store brands stamped on them are surely not made of the best components. I bought a (seriously cheap) 1080p 40" LCD from there over one of their XMas sales a few years ago and it's got some quirks that are showing from it's cheap innards. It still works if you're willing to put up with it though.

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M
30. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 7, 2014, 13:52 Panickd

I am eagerly awaiting the day they beta launch this thing and the servers burst into flames with the obligatory "we weren't expecting such a massive load" blog post. You know it's going to happen. If I had any spare money that wasn't already spoken for I probably would've bought into this a long time ago though. I'm a sucker for a good space sim.  

24. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:48 Panickd

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:40:
Prez wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 11:45:
Origin actually has gotten somewhat useable. If Steam didn't beat the snot out of it in every category it might even be an acceptable alternative. The worst part about Origin, of course, is the company it belongs to. They are equal parts despicable and moronic.

I think the best way to describe Origin is adequate but not much more than that. It's integration with EA titles is bizarrely inconsistent, the interface is barebones and it has a very "we contracted this out" feel to it. They don't seem to have any unifying design direction or feature roadmap either, they're just sort of puttering along and whole areas of it feel completely divorced from others. It does have a few features Steam lacks though like video recording, unfortunately its shortcomings in most other areas overshadow that. The biggest fail is that they have nothing on the Steam community implementation, battlelog would be the closest comparison but it's BF only.

It's basically an adequate storefront with schizophrenic client software. Like most things EA does these days, it feels very poorly thought out and half assed.

It still isn't as bad or as half assed as UPlay. Try and launch that Ubisoft title you bought in Steam and it launches Uplay. Go into UPlay and try and play it from there and it launches Steam!?!? Half the time it's downloading updates to games that it's already updated but it doesn't matter because it won't let you play until it's downloaded that update for the umpteenth time! And they're starting to integrate the online multiplayer into it so that you must use the godawful overlay to invite friends to your games! Yay!

12. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 11:25 Panickd

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:57:
Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo

Fallout 3 is one of the few games where I've actually had my attention locked to it from beginning to end. It was a great story. New Vegas was good but not great and riddled with annoying bugs that made it pretty obvious that Bethesda didn't make it (Obsidian has a habit of taking their stuff to about 85-90% of the way to perfect and then going, "Meh. Good enough!").

But whatever Bethesda does next I can almost guarantee you they won't be killing off Gamebryo. Even if they take it 64 bit, even if they rewrite a lot of aspects to drag it kicking and screaming into the next generation I am sure they'll be sticking with it (under different names, of course). They're not a burn it to the ground and start over sort of developer. But then very few are.

News Comments > Clint Hocking Leaves Valve
9. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves Valve Jan 6, 2014, 13:54 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:48:
Panickd wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:58:
Verno wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:44:
People change careers all the time for many reasons. You can do a lot better than the gaming industry sadly, the wages are shit for many positions comparatively, it really is a labor of love.

I'm pretty sure the pay at Valve is crazy good so long as you're working on the right (i.e. high profile and successful) project. But I'm positive the whole operation is complete shit for everyone else.

Pretty sure it's pretty good for just about anyone, though pay in the industry tends to be very bonus driven and bonuses come in most for releases - Valve also has a fairly significant other revenue source.

I'll never get why people are always so convinced everyone is miserable and disjointed at Valve. Valve has had very few people leave on their own volition, and only had one layoff.
People seem pretty happy to me.

Actually you can't really know with any certainty how many people have left Valve or how many layoffs or force outs have ever happened at the company. Unless the people that leave choose to talk about it, you'll never hear about it. Valve is a privately held company that doesn't have to blab all it's going ons to the public, and they don't. The people who have left and chosen to talk about it have made it pretty clear that if you can jive with the culture there and get involved on the right projects it's a great place to work. But the inverse is true as well. There is a massive culture shock in going to work for Valve when coming from nearly anywhere else and very little help in the company for overcoming it. And apparently that's the way they want it. So if you can't get with the culture or get on the right projects it's going to be a shitty place to work.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Rovio Exec: Why New ĎAngry Birdsí Is Free Jan 6, 2014, 12:01 Panickd

Ummm... because the ad supported Angry Birds made several times the revenue of the paid for Angry Birds? And adding a F2P model to that can only result in dollar signs in the eyes of investors everywhere? Just a wild guess.  

News Comments > Clint Hocking Leaves Valve
5. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves Valve Jan 6, 2014, 11:58 Panickd

Verno wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:44:
People change careers all the time for many reasons. You can do a lot better than the gaming industry sadly, the wages are shit for many positions comparatively, it really is a labor of love.

I'm pretty sure the pay at Valve is crazy good so long as you're working on the right (i.e. high profile and successful) project. But I'm positive the whole operation is complete shit for everyone else.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 5, 2014, 10:24 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 20:39:
To the original point: For PC there's Windows, and there's Linux. Most of us don't LIKE using Windows (esp v8.x), but it's a defacto monopoly and runs vast amounts of software that's simply not available on Linux. There's no choice.

The definition of "sheep" in the vernacular is someone that is easily led. Out of a myriad of choices they do the thing everyone else does b/c they are easily influenced or are afraid of standing out. The problem with Windows is there are no viable alternatives. With no choice, the label of sheep simply doesn't apply.

The whole "no choice" argument is an illusion that Microsoft is happy to have perpetuated. For 99% of the things 99% of people will ever use a computer for Linux is a perfectly viable alternative to Windows. Most people don't use it because A) Windows comes with nearly every computer sold (home and office) and the 99% in question isn't about to install their own operating system let alone build their own PC and B) Windows is the only OS they've ever used so they've gotten used to the way it works. That's why everyone "hates" Windows 8 so much, because it doesn't work the way that previous versions (since Windows 95) have taught us to believe Windows should work. People switching to Ubuntu or OS X would run into the same stumbling blocks. There isn't anything particularly bad about Windows 8 other than the fact that it doesn't know if it wants to be a tablet OS or a desktop OS. Once you beat it into submission, it's fine.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews Jan 4, 2014, 21:09 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 14:48:
Gabe Newell on what makes Valve tick.

Given how late HL 3 is I'd say the clock was broken.

Technically HL3 has no release date and therefore can never be "late".

Plus it took them 6 years to do the second one and that was before TF2, Portal 2, Dota 2, CS:GO and for the most part Steam itself. Making a regular old software product that people just pay for once and are done with is no longer Valve's M.O. If you can't use the game as a platform to sell hats, keys, cards, backgrounds, emoticons and other useless geegaws it's not worth making.

News Comments > Fallouts Returning to Steam
14. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 3, 2014, 16:58 Panickd

Clancy wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:17:
Yeah, they had to add DRM back in from the GOG versions...that is the real reason why they needed to "update".

Paranoid much?

Yes, I'm sure that Bethesda is going to take the time to add DRM to a 16 year old game. Makes total sense. </sarcasm>

News Comments > On Sale (1)
35. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 16:47 Panickd

Krovven wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 13:07:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:54:
Krovven wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:48:
panbient wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:45:
That and I got #10 like three times in a row hahaha
Just sell it on the market and buy the one your are missing.
Those cards will disappear from your account tomorrow

Uhhm, why would they disappear from his account? The Summer Sale cards are still available on the Market, which means they are still in peoples inventories.

It is different this time, read the Steam page
http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/snowglobefaq

Unlike previous badges, once the sale ends the cards will disappear. Make sure to trade and craft your badges before Jan 3rd 11am PST.

That sucks, for a lot of people. Personally I don't care, as I've been selling them as I get them. Odd that they changed it, but I suppose they want to be able to reuse them next year, whereas there is no point in reusing the Summer Sale cards.

In all likelihood Valve got tired of the "event" items clogging up the market and wanted to give the cards more value and light a fire under people to buy them rather than taking the attitude of "I'll pick them up whenever". I personally think it's a great thing because it gets people to stop sitting on these items hoping they can put them on the market later for insanely stupid sums of money.

News Comments > Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed
36. Re: Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed Jan 2, 2014, 14:39 Panickd

Fantaz wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 13:09:
Panickd wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:56:
Why? If you bought it before it was pulled you still own it and can still download it anytime. They're just not selling new copies. And this isn't just affecting Steam. It was pulled from every digital store for every platform.

Steam has the right to remove a game from your library at any time, it's stated in the terms. we're only renting out games. it's been discussed in Blue's News comments sections on many occasions.

Redmask wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 13:07:
So you don't buy Xbox games either? They can be pulled the store shelves or removed from the on demand service which has happened before.

no, not from the xbox online marketplace. only get physical. and on Steam only games I play are Valve ones (because i have to).

You do realize that before long you won't be able to play any games at all if you insist on not buying via digital distribution, right? I can absolutely guarantee you that before the death of the PS4 and XBox One we will see the death of game discs sold at retail. Everything will be sold via Live or PSN for their respective consoles.

News Comments > On Sale (1)
10. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 13:04 Panickd

Krovven wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:48:
panbient wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:45:
That and I got #10 like three times in a row hahaha
Just sell it on the market and buy the one your are missing.
Those cards will disappear from your account tomorrow

Uhhm, why would they disappear from his account? The Summer Sale cards are still available on the Market, which means they are still in peoples inventories.

They're not doing that anymore though. The Snow Globe cards are gone at the end of the sale and any naughty or nice crates you collected over the "Smissmas" event in TF2 will be permanently locked as of the 6th. I imagine the Holiday event items in other Valve games are going to be handled similarly from here on out.

News Comments > Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed
23. Re: Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed Jan 2, 2014, 12:56 Panickd

Fantaz wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 12:52:
this is why i don't buy Steam games

Why? If you bought it before it was pulled you still own it and can still download it anytime. They're just not selling new copies. And this isn't just affecting Steam. It was pulled from every digital store for every platform.

News Comments > Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record
10. Re: Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record Dec 30, 2013, 11:51 Panickd

BitWraith wrote on Dec 30, 2013, 11:41:
This bodes well for the PC as a platform. 3.25 million units of Skyrim on the PC is a pretty good number if you consider that the profit margins on the steam version are much better than the console counterpart.

No licensing fees to the console maker
No manufacturing
No shipping
No returns due to production faults

Beyond Valve's cut of the sale, Bethesda makes more per unit sold on the PC. So, console versions would have to sell many more units to make the same.

I'm aware that there was a physical copy of the PC version, but I'm sure that accounts for a tiny fraction of total units sold.

The physical copies of Skyrim for the PC were still tied to Steam (that's how I got my PC version). And the console version of just about any game that comes out on PC and consoles sells many, many times more on the consoles than it does on the PC. Most people don't want to have to futz around with keeping their PC's current to run current gen games when they can drop $300-400 on a console and be done with it. The only cross platform game that has come out in the last several years that might be close in sales cross-platform is Diablo III and that's only because the console port came out way after the PC version (and it was a very different game on consoles).

572 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo